PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of the Day: CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
To see previously discussed prospects, click here.
Jake Locker - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2230943
Cameron Heyward - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41890
Marvin Austin - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41892
Adrian Clayborn - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41919
Anthony Castonzo - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41929
Greg Romeus - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41940
Von Miller - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2238637
Mike Pouncey - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41959
Allen Bailey - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41971
Mark Herzlich - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41993

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/12+Championship+Nebraska+v+Texas+gu5LAB8LQt_l.jpg

CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
6'1 - 205 lbs. - Senior

Highlights!
(Callout and special thanks to AloAloysius for uploading highlights! +rep him if you can!)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHf3K8wBULw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHf3K8wBULw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ok, to be honest, I don't know very much about this guy. I know he's generally considered the top senior at his position, but he won't be if the elite talents like P. Peterson and others declare.

Right now, with other guys declaring, people are saying he's problable a mid-late 1st rounder. Agree? Disagree?

From the statline, I can see he's pretty good size for a CB. Does he have good speed as well?

BamaFalcon59
07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Top ten pick by the time April rolls around.

Great corner prospect.

K Train
07-26-2010, 12:32 PM
i dont think 2 corners go top 10 and no way he passes peterson.

prince could very well be a steeler next year if they have a mid round one pick and id love it, i think he'll be clearly the #2 corner under peterson and over dowling and everyone else

TACKLE
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Prince is definitely one of the top ten prospects in this years draft. He is one of the most complete CBs to come out in a while. His athleticism is underrated. His speed breaking on the ball in very impressive especially for a guy his size. If it wasn't for PP, Prince would be considered one of the best CB prospects in the the last few years.

Bad Boy
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
This guy is going to be a top ten pick when the 2011 draft comes around. Re

dannyz
07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I am a Nebraska Fan and really did not know who this guy was. After watching a few games then did I know who he was. Prince Amukamara was all around the feild making plays the #2 CB close behind Patrick Peterson.

prock
07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I am a Nebraska Fan and really did not know who this guy was. After watching a few games then did I know who he was. Prince Amukamara was all around the feild making plays the #2 CB close behind Patrick Peterson.

You didn't know your team's second best player? Jeez.

Hines
07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Kid was such a monster in high school. Sucks he got overlooked by a lot of schools coming out because they said he was too small. One of the best players I have ever went against. I'd LOVE to see him in the Black and Gold. Kid is big, fast, can cover, and has great hands. I think he could play FS and return as well.

Brent
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Kid was such a monster in high school. Sucks he got overlooked by a lot of schools coming out because they said he was too small. One of the best players I have ever went against. I'd LOVE to see him in the Black and Gold. Kid is big, fast, can cover, and has great hands. I think he could play FS and return as well.
does not compute.

princefielder28
07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
The only real knock is a lack of elite speed but he's got great hips, does a wonderful job of breaking on the ball and brings physicality

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
does not compute.

Maybe he grew in college.

Fico
07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
He will be the 3rd CB taken this year. Mid to late 1st round. Good player and prospect.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-26-2010, 03:49 PM
He will be the 3rd CB taken this year. Mid to late 1st round. Good player and prospect.

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Aaron Williams?
3. Prince Amukamara

Hines
07-26-2010, 04:50 PM
does not compute.

Maybe he grew in college.

That's where I was getting. I meant like weight wise. He was a solid 5'11-6'0 when I last saw him which was his senior season. He was rail, though.

Texas Homer
07-26-2010, 04:58 PM
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Aaron Williams?
3. Prince Amukamara

That would be my guess.

Fico
07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Aaron Williams?
3. Prince Amukamara

Yes. That is how I see them coming off the board. There will be 3 happy teams with new CBs in the 1st round next year.

Go_Eagles77
07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Unless the eagles totally bomb this season and are in position to grab Peterson, Prince is my number 1 target for them next April. I think he'll be a pro-bowl caliber corner.

Mr.Regular
07-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Prince is definitely one of the top ten prospects in this years draft. He is one of the most complete CBs to come out in a while. His athleticism is underrated. His speed breaking on the ball in very impressive especially for a guy his size. If it wasn't for PP, Prince would be considered one of the best CB prospects in the the last few years.
I agree with this completely. He may not be a burner, but he breaks on the ball really quickly. Very impressive quickness for a guy his size. He's pretty much the complete package, with another good season the top 10 isn't out of the question.

Mr. Offseason
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I watched a couple Nebraska games last year and even though I didn't know who he was at the time he just stuck out whenever I saw them. This couldn't have been more true that when I re-watched the Texas-Nebraska game from last season, where he blanketed Malcolm Williams and did good things versus the run and made plays versus the pass. That was a great game for him, and I'm really excited to see how he does this year. I'd agree on the mid-1st round projection right now. Peterson is a great talent and Aaron Williams could jump him if he declares, but I think Amukamara has definite 1st round talent and I think he has it in him to be a great corner in the NFL. I really like this kid.

CashmoneyDrew
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Would look good in a Titans uniform.

AntoinCD
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
I really like Prince but i'm interested in two things in Nebraska now that Suh is gone. How will it firstly affect Crick up front and if the pressure goes from up front, how will it affect Amukamara next year.

BamaFalcon59
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Don't forget, Baker Steinkuhler should be stepping into the other defensive tackle spot. He was a five-star recruit and top ten nationally as rated by Rivals.

phlysac
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm really hoping he is on the board when the 49ers select next Spring. He is the perfect physical corner that Coach Sing loves.

bce
07-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Way overrated but the type who could end up in black and gold. Not a good value in the top 10. I question whether he has the elite physical ability of a champ bailey or deion sanders, the only kind of physical abilities that warrant corners being taken with top 10 picks. Better run way sub 4.4, show elite ball skills, to even be worth mentioning with a pick that high. I dont see champ bailey. Not buying with a high pick.

Hines
07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Way overrated but the type who could end up in black and gold. Not a good value in the top 10. I question whether he has the elite physical ability of a champ bailey or deion sanders, the only kind of physical abilities that warrant corners being taken with top 10 picks. Better run way sub 4.4, show elite ball skills, to even be worth mentioning with a pick that high. I dont see champ bailey. Not buying with a high pick.

Champ Bailey? Wait, I thought Ike Taylor was the best corner of all time?

Job
07-27-2010, 10:25 PM
I know he's generally considered the top senior at his position, but he won't be if the elite talents like P. Peterson and others declare.

He would still be the top senior at his position.

dannyz
07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Joe Haden was slow and got picked in the top 10.

descendency
07-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Joe Haden was the best CB in one of the weakest CB draft classes.

AntoinCD
07-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Joe Haden was the best CB in one of the weakest CB draft classes.

Whatchu talkin bout??? Any class that has Devin McCourty is the best of all time. You're such a silly

descendency
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm really hopeful that McCourty outplays Kyle Wilson after we passed on him.

AntoinCD
07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
He may not be as pure a cover corner as Wilson but he will offer a lot more in run support and could be a pro bowl special teamer, which along with Chung should really improve special teams coverage units. He also has scary change of direction speed, so with a bit of added technique work he could be real good

CLong4Heisman
07-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Timed speed yes. Game speed absolutely not. Watch his film, he doesn't get beat and is pretty much a lock down guy

RealityCheck
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes. That is how I see them coming off the board. There will be 3 happy teams with new CBs in the 1st round next year.
Don't rule out Ras-I Dowling, Brandon Harris and Kendric Burney.

And by the way, I'd much rather have McCourty and Wilson than Haden.

Texas Homer
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
...and CB Curtis Brown. I really like the potential 2011 NFL draft CB class of prospects.

K Train
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Don't rule out Ras-I Dowling, Brandon Harris and Kendric Burney.

And by the way, I'd much rather have McCourty and Wilson than Haden.

im glad someone else feels this way. i think i would have preferred robinson too even though hes not nearly as pro ready as any of them

sbh15
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM
i believe i read an espn article that said of all players who submitted their name to the nfl board for draft grades, he graded the highest.

Grades range as high as 9.0, which represents a potential superstar, to as low as 1.0, given to a player whose football career will likely finish in college. Only on rare occasions are players handed grades of 8.0 or higher. Top-rated players usually receive a grade of 7.0 or higher, which translates into a possible first round pick. Grades of 6.0 or higher represents a prospect with the potential to be a top seventy-five selection in the following year's draft.

Of the graded seniors in 2009, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy and Brandon LaFell all received a 7.0, the highest grade of the class. Nebraska's Suh went on to become the second pick in April's draft. LSU's LaFell was a third-round choice while Hardy fell into the sixth round after a disappointing senior season at Ole Miss, proving these pre-season grades ultimately take a backseat to on-field performance.

Moving toward the 2010 season, it looks like once again next year's draft will offer plenty of talent on the defensive line and at offensive tackle. The senior class is weakest at wide receiver, tight end and running back.

Here are the top 25 NFL prospects from the senior class as graded by National.

Prince Amukamara/CB/Nebraska/7.3: Amukamara offers NFL size (6-feet, 201 pounds) which he uses to shut down opponents regularly. His game has shown tremendous improvement the past two seasons and scouts are excited about his upside.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/07/06/national.grades.draft/index.html

EDIT: obviously it was si, not espn

Big Bird
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Prince is a Nnamdi clone. He runs high 4.4's, low 4.5's, could care less when he can play the Corner position the way he does. He is big, physical, possesses excellent awareness, uses his hands well to jam, and has ridiculous quickness and ball skills. His hips are top notch. He lines up every week and shuts the opposing Wide Receiver down. Enough said.

Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara have already established (in not much time either) that they have the tools to be elite, shutdown Corners at the next level. And with Brandon Harris and Aaron Williams have the potential to do so as well, this is a special Corner class. Don't sleep on the likes of Rashad Carmichael or Shareece Wright either. Both are very talented. VT says Carmichael runs a 4.26...

bce
07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
You dont have to be, but it helps to have champ bailey ike taylor speed. I think you have to be a 4.2 guy to be considered with a high pick first round pick, along with displaying outstanding ball skills.

dannyz
07-28-2010, 10:39 PM
That's a reason I don't like the Combine. Every thing is about speed if you are not fast you suck if you are super fast your great. Look at DHB, there are guy's who should get picked high but don't because they are slow and then they turn out to be good while the super fast guy really can not play in first place.

prock
07-29-2010, 12:45 AM
You dont have to be, but it helps to have champ bailey ike taylor speed. I think you have to be a 4.2 guy to be considered with a high pick first round pick, along with displaying outstanding ball skills.

Very very very very very few players have 4.2 speed, and most of them aren't even very good corners.

Texas Homer
07-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Very very very very very few players have 4.2 speed.

Yeah I agree.

I am usually very skeptical when I hear about someone running a 4.2 .

I like Amukamara as a legit top 15 pick.

dannyz
07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
The CB Class this year is great. Peterson,Amukamara,Williams all 1ST Rounders, Harris,Brown,Dowlings 1ST/2ND Rounders.

gpngc
07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
I've read in a few places that Amukamara is one of if not THE top prospect in the eyes of NFL scouts and talent evaluators.

Mr.Regular
07-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Why argue with him? If we all ignored him he'd go away.
He's not contributing to an intelligent scouting conversation, which is why we come here.
He's not conversing, he's trying to 'win' discussions and prove how smart he is, by talking in grand terms, and making outrageously ill conceived arguments. We've all pointed out flaws in what he sees, and he just amps up his stupidity. There's no way around it.
Either block the guy, or just plain skip over his posts.

I want more real Prince talk. I love the guy. His speed wont translate in his workouts Im assuming, but the guy is crazy quick. He can jump off the ball real well. Plus he's physical and good in man to man. Those traits are whats making scouts drool.
He may not have Patrick Peterson upside, but if Peterson doesn't make the strides we expect him to, it may not be crazy to put them on the same level... I wouldn't bet on it, but I think it's in the realm of possibility.

LonghornsLegend
07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
That's a reason I don't like the Combine. Every thing is about speed if you are not fast you suck if you are super fast your great. Look at DHB, there are guy's who should get picked high but don't because they are slow and then they turn out to be good while the super fast guy really can not play in first place.

So you don't like the combine because the average casual fan overrates the 40 yard dash? GM's are about to give guys 30 million dollars guaranteed, you don't think it's important to learn as much about a prospect as you can? It's ALL important, every drill, every interview, every piece of gamefilm so you have as much info on a guy as possible since your giving him millions of dollars.

Just because a few people on the internet get carried away with speed=good and slow=suckzzz doesn't mean the combine doesn't do it's job.

I'm surprised people are still feeding bce and his "He's not Ike Taylor" argument. It's old, ignorant, redundant, and for attention which he seems to get in every thread he shows up in.

Hines
07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
I do think Prince is a good man to man corner, but I think he'd be an absolute stud in a zone blitz type of defense. He could florish in the Steelers scheme IMO.

jason96r
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
I really like Prince as a CB prospect. I think he would do vrey well in a press man CB scheme. It will be very interesting to see what he does without Suh on the DL. While I'm sure his INT's will go down as teams learn to avoid his side of the field I want to see him improve technique and perhaps his PBU's. He is extremely raw as a CB and if he improves even more as he actually learns how to play CB then he will certainly be a top 15 pick IMO.

bce
07-31-2010, 11:10 AM
he could certainly flourish with the steelers. Just not as a top 10 pick. If you have a team that is set at the positions of highest value, you can use a mid first rd pick on a mid level physical talent like anakumura. But the idea that youre going to put this guy on a bad football team and hes going to immediately upgrade your team, its just not true. The idea that this guy is going to be a shut down man cover guy who can cover the best receiver every week effectively is not true. The idea that this guy is champ bailey, one of the few corners picked high in the draft who has met expectations is not true.

Prince anakumura is just simply not gifted enough to warrant a high pick when you are a bad football team, when you lack elites at the positions of highest value. Just nowhere near enough to justify 20+ million guaranteed dollars. It doesnt mean prince anakumura is terrible or cant play. It just means hes not worthy of a high selection. Put him in the right scheme on a good football team there may be chance for him to be a good player. Put him on a bad team and its just going to continue to be a bad football team.

Aloysius
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I added another clip of Mr. Amukamara:

Prince Amukamara vs. Texas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX0rYpk9wc)

Thanks to Mr. Goosemahn for the thanks.

jason96r
08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I added another clip of Mr. Amukamara:

Prince Amukamara vs. Texas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX0rYpk9wc)

Thanks to Mr. Goosemahn for the thanks.

Thank you for putting the Texas game up. You know I thought the Texas game showed some flaws in Amukamara's game as did the Baylor game. However, both teams utilize the spread where there would be little to no safety help for the CB's.

Overall I really like Amukamara but I really want to see what he will do without Suh and hope he is able to refine his technique. He certainly has the ability to jam the WR's but it seems too often he misses his jam and though he has decent speed he needs to refine his technique more so that the faster WR's don't get the step or 2 they will get on him.

Aloysius
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Overall I really like Amukamara but I really want to see what he will do without Suh and hope he is able to refine his technique. He certainly has the ability to jam the WR's but it seems too often he misses his jam and though he has decent speed he needs to refine his technique more so that the faster WR's don't get the step or 2 they will get on him.
I think Kareem Jackson had similar issues in '08, then mostly eliminated them in '09 (Greg Childs' TD in the '09 Arkansas game was a sign that the issue didn't completely go away).

However, Amukamara seems to have a better burst than the Bama corner. As a result, he should be able to recover more easily when his technique fails him.

Nalej
08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Great run defender. Will help his stock.

roscoesdad27
08-07-2010, 11:40 AM
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Aaron Williams?
3. Prince Amukamara

williams and amukamara are even to me so it comes down to scheme....in a conventional scheme i'd give the slight nod to williams if its a tampa or cover 2 scheme i go with prince....p.p. is clearly #1.

bce
08-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I understand it perfectly, they do not have 2nd overall pick value, they do not have 12 mil per year value, especially when they lack top end physical gifts.

And back to the original argument, prince's nfl status and ability have nothing to do with whether he played with numkong suh, it has no bearing on the situation, he doesnt drop this year because suh is not there. he rises and falls based on his own ability and it has nothing to do with who was on his team.

jason96r
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I think Kareem Jackson had similar issues in '08, then mostly eliminated them in '09 (Greg Childs' TD in the '09 Arkansas game was a sign that the issue didn't completely go away).

However, Amukamara seems to have a better burst than the Bama corner. As a result, he should be able to recover more easily when his technique fails him.

Hmm I was not a huge Kareem Jackson fan but I was wrong on him as far as being drafted in the 1st round. Kyle Wilson was my guy for a long time though.

Back to Amakuamara though I love trying to scout players right now I'm scouting anyone DL and then people for my team the Lions. I think with Amukamara it is all on him to improve his technique which should improve his draft stock. He makes mistakes that I don't want to see from a 1st round CB and though he has it all the mistakes must be cleaned up IMO.

The spread is difficult to judge but there are teams that play the spread in the NFL. Also, if he is going to be a 1st round CB he shouldn't really need a lot of safety help.

Basically, this guy is on my radar as a possible pick for my team so I will be harder on him than most. I want to watch as much as him as possible this year, wish they joined Big10 this year I live in Ohio, but will probably only get to see 2-3 games.

He has a good skillset and I wish him luck. Maybe he will be the next converted RB to become a CB on the Lions, Spievey, and will become a number 1 CB for them.

Saints-Tigers
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
BCE=mythbusta

Sniper
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
http://twitter.com/bfeldmanespn

Opponents have completed only 11 passes in 10 games against Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara, while targeting 40 times, per NU SID.

xxxxxxxx
11-18-2010, 09:50 AM
yo bro nice sig qoute! Do you need help finding a life/job?

Sniper
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
yo bro nice sig qoute! Do you need help finding a life/job?

I've got a life and two jobs. I'm good. Thanks for asking, though.

http://videogum.com/img/thumbnails/photos/you_mad.jpg

If you don't want to be sig quoted, don't say dumb things.

xxxxxxxx
11-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah bro, it hurts my feelings.

Hey, A perfect Score, Why are you so mean to me? it makes me cry at night...