PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jack Tatum

keylime_5
07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/osufootball/stories/2010/07/27/story-ohio-state-football-jack-tatum-death.html?sid=102

died of a heart attack at age 61 apparently. one of the greatest safeties in college football history and a should-be NFL hall of famer.

FUNBUNCHER
07-27-2010, 12:54 PM
If Jack Tatum isn't in the HOF, all other prospects for Canton need to shut up.

Have to believe his playing style resulted in his early death.

tjsunstein
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
The Assassin.

Donno
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Wow really sad to her RIP Raider for life.

Babylon
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Still havent got past the vicious forearm hit he put on Darryl Stingley that put the Pats wr in a wheelchair for life. Not sure i ever will.

tjsunstein
07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
He said he regretted some things about his playing career. If I remember, didn't he say he wasn't sorry for that hit at one point?

J-Mike88
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
He said he regretted some things about his playing career. If I remember, didn't he say he wasn't sorry for that hit at one point?
I thought I remember recently a feature about it where Stingley said he still had not ever received an apology from Tatum for that hit.

LizardState
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Still havent got past the vicious forearm hit he put on Darryl Stingley that put the Pats wr in a wheelchair for life. Not sure i ever will.

Stingley just died a couple of yrs. ago. RIP for both.

I read his book, They Call Me Assassin back in the early 70s, he was aptly named. He & fellow Raider safety Al Atkinson had a point system like a bounty on hits made on receivers, 1 point for knocked unconscious, 2 for knocked out of the game, 3 for a broken limb, injury or concussion, & they made it public to spread terror through the NFL. Tatum played LB at Ohio St. & was converted to safety by the Raiders.

He lost a leg to diabetes a few yrs. back & was in poor health. Despite his reputation he is definitely HoF material.

JRTPlaya21
07-27-2010, 02:14 PM
RIP to Tatum

Babylon
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM

I read his book, They Call Me Assassin back in the early 70s, he was aptly named. He & fellow Raider safety Al Atkinson had a point system like a bounty on hits made on receivers, 1 point for knocked unconscious, 2 for knocked out of the game, 3 for a broken limb, injury or concussion, & they made it public to spread terror through the NFL. Tatum played LB at Ohio St. & was converted to safety by the Raiders.

He lost a leg to diabetes a few yrs. back & was in poor health. Despite his reputation he is definitely HoF material.

No doubt he was a great player, i remember after that hit how pissed my brother and i were. The next play John Hannah (Crimson Tide) went after him.

yourfavestoner
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
If Jack Tatum isn't in the HOF, all other prospects for Canton need to shut up.

Have to believe his playing style resulted in his early death.

Screw Jack Tatum. According to the HoF thread, we need to be inducting more kick returners.

All joking aside, RIP to one of the best to ever play the game.

TACKLE
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM
RIP Jack Tatum

One of the most feared players ever to step on the football field.

Bengals78
07-27-2010, 02:50 PM
One of the meanest SOB's ever. One of the better safeties ever. Personified the nastiness that were the Raiders back then.

Pretty sure he said he would never apologize for the hit. Called it part of the game.

Ness
07-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Great player. He will be missed.

TACKLE
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
This is probably my all-time favorite NFL Films clip. Just watch and enjoy. I get goosebumps every time I see it.

2:16 - 2:37

h2jdM2fl1Jc

keylime_5
07-27-2010, 03:31 PM

actually he played corner there, but was basically a safety (they just called him a DB).

here is him at the rose bowl this past january.
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/72/724409.jpg

total bs that he didn't go into the HOF during his lifetime. he did ruin that WRs career and put him in a wheelchair, but when you get down to it the injuries are all risks of playing the game.

bkolaski0
07-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Rip brother u were and still are my favorite raider of all time rip #32

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2010, 04:01 PM
RIP Jack, a silver & black great

Babylon
07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
actually he played corner there, but was basically a safety (they just called him a DB).

here is him at the rose bowl this past january.
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/72/724409.jpg

total bs that he didn't go into the HOF during his lifetime. he did ruin that WRs career and put him in a wheelchair, but when you get down to it the injuries are all risks of playing the game.

My memory of him there was that he did play LB, Lizard is old enough to remember:-D

Paranoidmoonduck
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
He's not the most popular player, most because of his refusal to admit he did something wrong with that crippling hit on Stingley, but he was an all-time Raider great and had a huge impact on the history of the game. He should be in the Hall.

yourfavestoner
07-27-2010, 04:57 PM
He's not the most popular player, most because of his refusal to admit he did something wrong with that crippling hit on Stingley, but he was an all-time Raider great and had a huge impact on the history of the game. He should be in the Hall.

What he did was within the framework of the rules at the time. I'm not trying to make a martyr out of Stingley, but that hit got the league to start figuring out that it wasn't the best idea to have it's product out there maiming and crippling itself.

It's not so much the hit itself, but rather the fact that it occurred in a meaningless preseason game.

keylime_5
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
My memory of him there was that he did play LB, Lizard is old enough to remember:-D

sometimes they lined him up at linebacker so he could kill runningbacks, but he was definitely a DB at Ohio State. His DBs coach was Lou Holtz.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
RIP.

The guy was vicious but that's how the game was played back then. That Raider team shouldve won more Super Bowls.

Nalej
07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not old enough to have seen him actually play (I'm 25) but I remember reading that the hit on Stingley was an exhibition game on a pass way over thrown.
Either way- from what I've seen (highlights, NFL Films) he was a badass and from an outside observer- I think he belongs in the Hall as well.

Babylon... How old are you?!

RaiderNation
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
One of the great players you think of during the 1970's Raiders. RIP

Babylon
07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not old enough to have seen him actually play (I'm 25) but I remember reading that the hit on Stingley was an exhibition game on a pass way over thrown.
Either way- from what I've seen (highlights, NFL Films) he was a badass and from an outside observer- I think he belongs in the Hall as well.

Babylon... How old are you?!

Old enough to remember the Beatles.

yourfavestoner
07-28-2010, 10:56 AM
We need videos.

fJrDYQwwbuY

07-28-2010, 11:48 AM
RIP 'the Assassin'. He might be my fav all-time Raiders defender.

Here's hoping Mike Mitchell can replicate even the most miniscule remnant of Jack's illustrious HoF worthy career.

FUNBUNCHER
07-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Some guys I call 'collision artists', Tatum was one of those guys who just understood the science of how to deliver a 'whoo' hit.

Tatum was 5'10, maybe 190 - 200#, and he routinely rocked guys who were 40 to 60# heavier than he was.

That tape posted from the NFL Network by yourfavestoner showing the hit Tatum put on Earl Campbell and some unknown 6'5, 260# Broncos TE are jaw-dropping.

Ronnie Lott may have been a more complete defensive back, but year in and out, I'd have a hard time arguing there were better pure hitters in the NFL than Tatum.

Surely there was none better during the 70s.

Does anyone really know why he was stonewalled for the HOF?? Is it because he paralyzed Stingley??

Maybe the best player not in the HOF who's been eligible for over 20 years.