PDA

View Full Version : Prospect of the Day: CB Patrick Peterson, LSU

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
To see previously discussed prospects, click here.
Jake Locker - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2230943
Cameron Heyward - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41890
Marvin Austin - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41892
Adrian Clayborn - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41919
Anthony Castonzo - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41929
Greg Romeus - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41940
Von Miller - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2238637
Mike Pouncey - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41959
Allen Bailey - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41971
Mark Herzlich - http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41993
Prince Amukamara - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42000
Gabe Carimi - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42014

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Chick+fil+A+Bowl+g5UFsdAKut3l.jpg

CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
6'1 - 211 lbs. - Junior

Highlights!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/opla50CceAY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/opla50CceAY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My favorite CB prospect in a while, probably the best since Terrence Newman. The best CB prospect in the entire country. The guy has great size, great skills, and legit speed. If Joe Haden went top 10 last year, this guy should be able to as well.

K Train
07-28-2010, 09:47 AM
my #1 prospect period.

imo better than newman, jammer, dhall, pacman...and definitely better prospects than mckelvin, haden, revis, hill, L. hall, malcolm jenkins and j-jo...none of which i was high on even though all are good (even great) players except hill who blows ass

im weird about corners in the first...i hated revis as a prospect, clearly he made me look like a ******* idiot but i was in love with cromartie, DRC, and vontae davis in the second half of the first. the last corners i liked in the first half of the first were pacman and dhall (say what you want about them now but they were nearly perfect CB prospects) and i think peterson might even be better than them.

and i know this post is a cluster **** of just about nothing so far but i never really wanted a corner for the steelers in the first in the last decade (outside of cromartie) but i think it would be a mistake to let this man slip out of the top 10 just because its not typically a top 10 position to pick because he has elite potential and i think he can excel in any defense

im saying every now and then you get a d-hall or a pacman that is a legit top 10 talent....hes better than those 2, so thats saying quite a bit because they were incredible prospects

if you fear that he is gonna disappoint like hall did later in his career or fall on his face in the world like pacman did...so be it, i mean revis and nnamdi were a mid and late first rounder so roll the dice i suppose, im saying im really impressed with him and would take him in the top 5 because hes a rarity and a luxury at the position

princefielder28
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Patrick Peterson has all the tools to be an All-Pro caliber player at the next level and has shown that ability during his time at LSU going up against some of the best that college football has to offer (Julio Jones, AJ Green). There's PP, followed by Prince, and then a drop-off to every other corner potentially in the draft.

K Train
07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
id rank them peterson, prince, williams, dowling at the moment. theres someone im missing though that i thought had a good shot of shooting up the boards this year

princefielder28
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM
id rank them peterson, prince, williams, dowling at the moment. theres someone im missing though that i thought had a good shot of shooting up the boards this year

Brandon Harris has a chance to shoot up

K Train
07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
yep thats who i was thinking of

also (first name?) brown from texas is a senior isnt he?

edit: curtis brown....duh

AntoinCD
07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Peterson has the chance to be the best CB prospect of the decade. He really has it all as far as potential wise. One interesting thing for me this year, as fact as CBs go, none of the first round CBs were over 6 foot this year. The top 3 prospects for next year are all listed at 6'1 or above. Which ultimately is interesting especially when you consider next year will also be the year of the big WR. Just an interesting point, I thought

K Train
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
yeah definitely a big corner class, not the top end 4.3 speed but alot of these bigger guys should be 4.45-4.5 guys which is adequate for a bigger more physical corner

also note that the pic of peterson in the rain is probably the most badass football photo ever

RealityCheck
07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Patrick Peterson vs. The Legend of Greg Little on Week 1.

aka World War IV.

Texas Homer
07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm a BIG P. Peterson fan. Top 10 pick.

Texas Homer
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
yep thats who i was thinking of

also (first name?) brown from texas is a senior isnt he?

edit: curtis brown....duh

Yeah, Curtis Brown is a Sr.

I like Brown as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick at the moment.

It may not be a good comparison, but I'd compare Brown to Kareem Jackson from Alabama. Jackson is a little bigger than Brown, but Brown is a little taller I think and more athletic than Jackson in my opinion.

I like Brown a lot as a coverage CB (like Jackson). Brown has been battle tested too early in his career at Texas (Crabtree and Dez Bryant) that I think is helping him now as he goes into his Sr. year at Texas.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I so hope he's in a Detroit Lions uniform in 2011. Team him with Houston,Spievey and Delmas, draft a SS and the Lions continue to move in the right direction.

TACKLE
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Patrick Peterson vs. The Legend of Greg Little on Week 1.

aka World War IV.

More like...

Patrick Peterson vs. The Legend TJ Yates

Don Vito
07-28-2010, 02:11 PM
The ************* Truth

Fico
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
PP will be the #1 CB off the board, top 10 pick. I think PP, AW go in the first 12 picks with PA in the top 15-18 picks.

C.Brown will be a mid 20 pick in my opinion, he will jump and time out of the world at the combine. I compare him as a prospect to Rodgers-Cromartie, superior athlete, long arms, skinny frame.

I don't think he is as physical as Kareem Jackson from last years class.

My 2 cents.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I so hope he's in a Detroit Lions uniform in 2011. Team him with Houston,Spievey and Delmas, draft a SS and the Lions continue to move in the right direction.

Hahaha. And PP is a boss.

Sniper
07-28-2010, 08:25 PM
If I remember correctly, it was Bruce Feldman's annual "Biggest Freaks of College Football" that listed Peterson at 220 pounds. Peterson allegedly ran a 4.37 at 220 during spring practices.

P-L
07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
That is sick, if true.

Texas Homer
07-29-2010, 01:03 AM
If I remember correctly, it was Bruce Feldman's annual "Biggest Freaks of College Football" that listed Peterson at 220 pounds. Peterson allegedly ran a 4.37 at 220 during spring practices.

Yeah, Peterson is an elite talent at his position.

If he is 220 though, I wonder if FS could be a eventual position for him in the NFL.

How common is it for NFL CB's to be 215+ lbs.? I don't want to make too much of this because I think Peterson has the talent to play CB at a high level in the NFL. That just caught my attention.4.37 is really good speed for a CB though in my book.

Elite talent though. Top 10 pick in my opinion.

dannyz
07-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Just like Eric Berry last year. can play CB at a high level but I think he could play FS at a high level too. Also there is maybe one or two LT that are worth a 1ST Round Pick.

TACKLE
07-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Just like Eric Berry last year. can play CB at a high level but I think he could play FS at a high level too. Also there is maybe one or two LT that are worth a 1ST Round Pick.

Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Michael Roos, Michael Oher and D'Brickashaw Ferguson are wondering WTF you are talking about. This is a very weak period for elite LT's in the NFL and there are still at least six guys right there who are certainly worth a first round pick.

dannyz
07-29-2010, 02:39 AM
I was talking about this year's Class of LT there is only maybe two worth a first round pick Castonzo and Barksdale.

RufusMcDaniel
07-29-2010, 03:11 AM
This is definitely a good year for the Titans to potentially be needing a corner. Peterson would be amazing, but if were picking that high.....QB may be the direction we go.

TACKLE
07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I was talking about this year's Class of LT there is only maybe two worth a first round pick Castonzo and Barksdale.

lol my bad. Don`t know why I thought you were talking about NFL LT`s.

Also, Barksdale will be lucky to go in the 3rd round let alone the 1st.

K Train
07-29-2010, 11:41 AM
barksdale will slide down the boards just like herman johnson and ciron black did...probably not as far but LSU olinemen have been overrated players the last few years

jason96r
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't like this years LT crop at all but that could really change.

I see Costanzo as being about the only one and he would have to play in a ZBS other than that there is no one.

Barksdale will only move to LT this year and then I see all the time people give my Detroit Lions Camiri (sp) and though he actually does play LT I don't believe that he is one in the NFL.

I also see a lot of mocks give the Lions Peterson CB which I love.

I think the Lions could win enough games to be out of range for Peterson who is a definite top 5 pick but I'm happy to see Williams and Prince as very talented CB's with good size and aren't afraid to tackle. One of the biggest priorities for Lions CB's is to tackle according to Schwartz so this CB class should bode well for the Lions.

dannyz
07-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Good teams will stay good as long as they draft good players. The Raiders are bad because they picked some bad guys in row like the Lions not that long ago.

Sniper
07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Good teams will stay good as long as they draft good players. The Raiders are bad because they picked some bad guys in row like the Lions not that long ago.

Can you give us some more amazing knowledge? Maybe you could tell us that water is wet. Maybe you could tell us that the Sun is hot.

dannyz
07-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Dude whats your problem with me? It's just what I think.

Sniper
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Dude whats your problem with me? It's just what I think.

My problem is that stating the blatantly obvious is probably unnecessary.

A Perfect Score
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Its alarming how awful his posts really are.

Anyways, back to the topic, Peterson is one of the best CB prospects to come along in a very long time. He does have elite ball skills and he has a very impressive track record vs elite receivers. Hes big, fast, and plays with solid technique, although sometimes he gets a little lost tracking the ball in the air. Taking everything into account, hes a much better prospect then Revis was and I fully expect him to go within the Top 10 picks next April, assuming he plays up to his potential and doesnt nosedive this season.

bce
07-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Elite ball skills compared to whom? if he gets lost tracking the ball in the air im not sure that equates to "elite ball skills", being 220 lbs is not relevant for a corner. You make all these statements about elite ball skills but theeres no evidence to back that up. Its just a statement based on nothing but opinion. He may get picked in the top 10 thats fine, but in all likelihood, it will not be the right pick for a team that is most likely not very good and lacks elites at the positions of higher value.

bce
07-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Better than darelle revis. Thats high praise. Chances of it happening, very close to 0%

prock
07-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Elite ball skills compared to whom? if he gets lost tracking the ball in the air im not sure that equates to "elite ball skills", being 220 lbs is not relevant for a corner. You make all these statements about elite ball skills but theeres no evidence to back that up. Its just a statement based on nothing but opinion. He may get picked in the top 10 thats fine, but in all likelihood, it will not be the right pick for a team that is most likely not very good and lacks elites at the positions of higher value.

You have no evidence that he doesn't have elite ball skills.

bce
07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Hes not picking off a ton of balls with wr catches then becoming an offensive player once he does. Thats what elite ball skills are. If I see that, maybe i'll change my opinion, but until I do, its not going to change. ARe you old enough to have seen deion sanders in his prime? thats elite ball skills. Thats what I'm going to have to see for me to use a high draft pick on patrick peterson. Chances of it happening about 0%.

prock
07-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Hes not picking off a ton of balls with wr catches then becoming an offensive player once he does. Thats what elite ball skills are. If I see that, maybe i'll change my opinion, but until I do, its not going to change. ARe you old enough to have seen deion sanders in his prime? thats elite ball skills. Thats what I'm going to have to see for me to use a high draft pick on patrick peterson. Chances of it happening about 0%.

He doesn't have the INT numbers for you, good one. Glad you are judging a corner back solely on his INT numbers.

Sniper
07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
He doesn't have the INT numbers for you, good one. Glad you are judging a corner back solely on his INT numbers.

Darrelle Revis had two interceptions and four passes broken up during his junior year at Pitt. Patrick Peterson had two interceptions and 13 passes broken up during his sophomore year at LSU.

Nnamdi Asomugha has one interception in each of his past three seasons. He must be garbage.

bce
07-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Thats why namdi asmough wasnt and isnt worthy of a top 5 pick. Thats why namdi asmough hasnt made them into a contender. And thats why darelle revis want a top 5 pick. Darelle revis also returned both of those interceptions for tds. he also had several punt returns for tds. he exhibited the ability to become an offensive player, displayed the hands of a punt returner, along with being able to cover with and displayed top end physical ability. He didnt do enough to warrant being a top 5 pick, but he did more than patrick peterson, especially when he got the ball in his hands.

Like i said chances of patrick peterson being worth a pick 10 spots higher than darelle revis, about 0%

prock
07-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Thats why namdi asmough wasnt and isnt worthy of a top 5 pick. Thats why namdi asmough hasnt made them into a contender. And thats why darelle revis want a top 5 pick. Darelle revis also returned both of those interceptions for tds. he also had several punt returns for tds. he exhibited the ability to become an offensive player, displayed the hands of a punt returner, along with being able to cover with and displayed top end physical ability. He didnt do enough to warrant being a top 5 pick, but he did more than patrick peterson, especially when he got the ball in his hands.

Like i said chances of patrick peterson being worth a pick 10 spots higher than darelle revis, about 0%

The chances of Darelle Revis being worth 12-15 spots higher than where he was taken is about 100%, so I am not sure what your point is. Asomoah has made them better, but the problem is Jamarcus Russell fell on his face and they had one of the most embarrassingly bad offenses in recent memory. There defense was decent, and that was mainly because Asomoah shut down half the field. But you can continue to be ignorant and ignore the team concept.

bce
07-31-2010, 12:15 PM
I dont know lamarr woodley was in that draft, your boy joe thomas, adrian peterson, your boy calvin johnson, plus regardless of the way jamarcus russel turned out to pass on an elite qb prospect, its just not a wise decision generally, as the cost of missing out on an elite qb is higher than the cost of them busting. and it wasnt a very good draft anyway. the book is not yet fully written on that class anyway. Darelle revis didnt display enough in college to warrant it, although he has proven to be an nfl elite.

But then again, were talking about the absolute best case scenario, the exception, not the norm. Darelle revis is an exception, not the rule. For every darelle revis there are 10 guys picked in the same area who have not met expectations let alone become an elite. If you want to bet hes darelle revis, go ahead bet on those boxcars, but the odds are not in your favor.

prock
07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I dont know lamarr woodley was in that draft, your boy joe thomas, adrian peterson, your boy calvin johnson, plus regardless of the way jamarcus russel turned out to pass on an elite qb prospect, its just not a wise decision generally, as the cost of missing out on an elite qb is higher than the cost of them busting. and it wasnt a very good draft anyway. the book is not yet fully written on that class anyway. Darelle revis didnt display enough in college to warrant it, although he has proven to be an nfl elite.

But then again, were talking about the absolute best case scenario, the exception, not the norm. Darelle revis is an exception, not the rule. For every darelle revis there are 10 guys picked in the same area who have not met expectations let alone become an elite. If you want to bet hes darelle revis, go ahead bet on those boxcars, but the odds are not in your favor.

So even if Revis goes after those guys you listed, he would still have gone about 12 spots higher than he did in a re-do, maybe higher.

You can keep saying that there is no chance PP will be elite, but you have no evidence to show that PP won't be an elite corner. And if he is an elite corner, which he has the tools to become, he is definitely worth a top 10 pick.

bce
07-31-2010, 01:06 PM
He went 14th, probably one fo the few corners actaully worthy of a top 5, in a very average class, with only one qb prospect of note. But then again hes the exception not the rule. hes the very best case scenario. If you base everything on the best case scenario, as is your general MO, youre pretty much doomed to not meet expectations.

Again i dont see deion sanders or champ bailey or darelle revis playing corner for lsu. I see a player with some physical ability that has yet to display the top end traits other than his physical ability.

Are you saying hes champ bailey or deion sanders? because thats what hes going to have to be for it to be even close to being worth it.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Here's why PP is a great fit for the Lions... Sidney Rice, Greg Jennings, Percy Harvin, Jay Cutler, and Aaron Rodgers. If you don't have a guy that can stay with a top receiver in that division then you're staring mediocrity in the face. Sure a pass rush is great but it's worthless if you can't cover anyone.

prock
07-31-2010, 01:52 PM
He went 14th, probably one fo the few corners actaully worthy of a top 5, in a very average class, with only one qb prospect of note. But then again hes the exception not the rule. hes the very best case scenario. If you base everything on the best case scenario, as is your general MO, youre pretty much doomed to not meet expectations.

Again i dont see deion sanders or champ bailey or darelle revis playing corner for lsu. I see a player with some physical ability that has yet to display the top end traits other than his physical ability.

Are you saying hes champ bailey or deion sanders? because thats what hes going to have to be for it to be even close to being worth it.

I am saying Patrick Peterson is Patrick Peterson. Patrick Peterson has the talent to eventually be a top corner in the league. What is the rule then? Reaching for a left tackle, quarterback or pass rusher? Ask Levi Brown and the Cardinals what happens when you reach, rather than taking the top talent available.

bce
07-31-2010, 01:54 PM
He'll be about a good a second overall pick as chris long ZZZZZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!

And you cant cover anyone unless you have a pass rush, not these days. Just ask the st.louis rams. ZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
He'll be about a good a second overall pick as chris long ZZZZZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!

And you cant cover anyone unless you have a pass rush, not these days. Just ask the st.louis rams. ZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!

Oh wow a joke making fun of my name. If I had a dollar for everytime someone has brought that up I would have a good chunk of change.

It also shows that you know I'm right.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
I am saying Patrick Peterson is Patrick Peterson. Patrick Peterson has the talent to eventually be a top corner in the league. What is the rule then? Reaching for a left tackle, quarterback or pass rusher? Ask Levi Brown and the Cardinals what happens when you reach, rather than taking the top talent available.

Who says anyone is reaching?

The rule is you take positions of highest value with top picks when youre a bad team because you need positions of highest value to win nfl championships to be elite. You do not need an elite corner to win nfl championships. Just ask the indy colts, saints, giants and here you go steelers, you dont need deion sanders on your team, so why would you draft one, unless you already addressed the positions you need elites to win nfl championships with, which if youre picking in the top 5, you most likely dont have. Namdi asmough is a top corner. What good is he doing them? Do the jets even have a winning record since darelle revis started playing for them?

So why waste the pick, even if hes deion sanders, which hes not, its not that important, you dont need namdi asmough to even have a winning record. so why would you waste the pick on him.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Levi browns started every game the last 2 years on a super bowl contending team. how is that failure.

prock
07-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Who says anyone is reaching?

The rule is you take positions of highest value with top picks when youre a bad team because you need positions of highest value to win nfl championships to be elite. You do not need an elite corner to win nfl championships. Just ask the indy colts, saints, giants and here you go steelers, you dont need deion sanders on your team, so why would you draft one, unless you already addressed the positions you need elites to win nfl championships with, which if youre picking in the top 5, you most likely dont have. Namdi asmough is a top corner. What good is he doing them? Do the jets even have a winning record since darelle revis started playing for them?

So why waste the pick, even if hes deion sanders, which hes not, its not that important, you dont need namdi asmough to even have a winning record. so why would you waste the pick on him.

The Saints have much better corners than pass rushers, but good try. The Steelers have Ike Taylor who you say is the top corner in the league! The Browns have the top left tackle in the league, what good is that doing them? The Raiders have a bad team. They got a top corner in the league, but they have a bad team so they don't have a winning record. You keep saying the exact same argument. The Jets almost got to the Super Bowl with a crutch at quarterback because of a stellar defense, led by Revis. Without Revis, their defense isn't anywhere near as good and they probably don't make the playoffs, much less the AFCCG. The Colts win without a half competent left tackle, so why would you waste a pick on one if you can win without it? You can win without a stud at any one position, as long as the rest of your team is good. It doesn't matter if it is corner, left tackle, defensive end, linebacker, running back, or anything. Football is a team sport.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Levi browns started every game the last 2 years on a super bowl contending team. how is that failure.

Adrian Peterson went 7th. He also said look what happens when you don't take the best player available.

prock
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Because he isn't very good at all. If they could do it over, they wouldn't have reached for him. Football is a team sport, so just because you got placed with a good team doesn't make you a good player, or a good pick. Anthony Herrera starts for the Vikings, does that make him good? **** no, he is awful. Your logic is faulty at best.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Yes a ***** based tirade! Saints dont have any high picks playing corner for them.

Charles grant, bobby mccray and will smith is a pretty good combo, maybe not the best, but most teams would take that combo.

And i said ike taylor was the best cover corner, alas, he lacks elite ball skills, which makes him not deion sanders, and thus not worthy of a top 5 pick. I donnt know what anthony herrera has to do with anything you keep bringing up the name for some reason.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Adrian Peterson went 7th. He also said look what happens when you don't take the best player available.

What happens? you go to the super bowl? is that whappens?

bce
07-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh wow a joke making fun of my name. If I had a dollar for everytime someone has brought that up I would have a good chunk of change.

It also shows that you know I'm right.

It means no such thing. Because their pass rush is anemic, they cant cover anyone.

Maybe you should change your name from what is probably one of the worst draft picks in the history of the nfl, then you wont have to hear about it.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
What happens? you go to the super bowl? is that whappens?

Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Kurt Warner got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl. They were also the worst running team in football that year so maybe if they had Peterson they would have won.

Also, Charles Grant now plays for the Dolphins, not the Saints.

I mean you're bce which stands for before common era which is obviously why your arguments suck so you may wanna change it too

A Perfect Score
07-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Don't bother arguing with him. Hes an idiot and a troll. He knows nothing about football and just spouts incoherent nonsense and then claims that he's right because the rest of us are all being tricked by the villainous corporation that is ESPN.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Kurt Warner got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl. They were also the worst running team in football that year so maybe if they had Peterson they would have won.

Also, Charles Grant now plays for the Dolphins, not the Saints.

I mean you're bce which stands for before common era which is obviously why your arguments suck so you may wanna change it too

He played for the saints when they won the super bowl. Im not a believer in its someone else's fault, he certainly wasnt the worst pick ever. Would i say he should have been picked before AP probably not, but it wasnt the worst pick in the world and hes contributed to a high level of success. Since AP is yet to go to a super bowl with his current team and basically fumbled away their chance to win a super bowl, i just dont know if that argument holds much weight.

bce
07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Don't bother arguing with him. Hes an idiot and a troll. He knows nothing about football and just spouts incoherent nonsense and then claims that he's right because the rest of us are all being tricked by the villainous corporation that is ESPN.

Not espn, the villainous corporation known as the NFL

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 02:40 PM
He played for the saints when they won the super bowl. Im not a believer in its someone else's fault, he certainly wasnt the worst pick ever. Would i say he should have been picked before AP probably not, but it wasnt the worst pick in the world and hes contributed to a high level of success. Since AP is yet to go to a super bowl with his current team and basically fumbled away their chance to win a super bowl, i just dont know if that argument holds much weight.

Ohhhh it holds a lot of weight. An average starting RT or the 2nd best running back in pro football?

bce
07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
The team success prize goes to levi brown. The offense has been top level and they amazingly for playing so "poorly" managed to keep an old immobile qb alive who has never been able to be kept alive otherwise. Im not saying in hindsight it was the better pick, but based on team success, levi brown comes out ahead. If the only tangible stat for a tackle is how well your offense plays then he gets a high grade.

The fantasy football trophy goes to adrian peterson

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 02:56 PM
The team success prize goes to levi brown. The offense has been top level and they amazingly for playing so "poorly" managed to keep an old immobile qb alive who has never been able to be kept alive otherwise. Im not saying in hindsight it was the better pick, but based on team success, levi brown comes out ahead. If the only tangible stat for a tackle is how well your offense plays then he gets a high grade.

The fantasy football trophy goes to adrian peterson

When did the word poor get used? We'll see who has more team success this year but yes SO FAR Arizona has had a little bit more.

bce
07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
You can only judge whats already happened. I dont know how it got to this, but the idea that levi brown was a bad pick is just simply not true. Was he the best player available, probably not, but hes contributing to a high level of success.

Chris long was a bad pick. Right up there with ryan leaf.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 03:04 PM
You can only judge whats already happened. I dont know how it got to this, but the idea that levi brown was a bad pick is just simply not true. Was he the best player available, probably not, but hes contributing to a high level of success.

Chris long was a bad pick. Right up there with ryan leaf.

Not quite. 9 sacks in two years isn't too bad. You can't be a bust in 2 years if you're actually putting up decent numbers. You would have an argument if you said Vernon gholston. He also has 83 tackles in that time and we all know that he isn't Mario Williams or Julius peppers

dannyz
07-31-2010, 03:05 PM

It was Favre's fault they lost, AP helped but Favre threw the pick he could have just ran two yards fell down and they would have been able to kick the Field Goal.

Can we get back on topic? I don't even read this now because you guy's are not talking about Patrick Peterson. Also the Prince Amukamara topic too.

bce
07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Im sorry but 9 sacks in 2 years for an edge rusher is awful. Thats way below the required production for a guy making 10 mil per year. Plus the fact theyve been 2-14 1-15. To be justified of the #2 overall pick, he should be mario williams or julius peppers.

Problem with the pick was the guys who were taken after. Flacco and ryan were sitting there, and they picked this dud. Thats not even mentioning some of the others who were picked after at lesser positions.

As far as pass rushers go chris longs production equals ryan leafs qb production. awful awful awful you should change your name.

bce
07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
It was Favre's fault they lost, AP helped but Favre threw the pick he could have just ran two yards fell down and they would have been able to kick the Field Goal.

Can we get back on topic? I don't even read this now because you guy's are not talking about Patrick Peterson. Also the Prince Amukamara topic too.

What about adrian petersons fumbles and benching when they could have and should have put that team away. Favre made one mistake, peterson and percy harvin just kept giving the saints life when the vikings were dominating that game.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=bce;2246811]Im sorry but 9 sacks in 2 years for an edge rusher is awful. Thats way below the required production for a guy making 10 mil per year. Plus the fact theyve been 2-14 1-15. To be justified of the #2 overall pick, he should be mario williams or julius peppers.

Problem with the pick was the guys who were taken after. Flacco and ryan were sitting there, and they picked this dud. Thats not even mentioning some of the others who were picked after at lesser positions.

As far as pass rushers go chris longs production equals ryan leafs qb production. awful awful awful you should change your name.[/

The 10 million is too much for any rookie coming into the league. Should they have picked Ryan? Probably but how would he have done throwing to Donnie Avery instead of roddy White? Chris long is not a bust. He's a young guy playing with trash next to him. Adam carriker? Now that's a bust and a half.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Can we get back on topic? I don't even read this now because you guy's are not talking about Patrick Peterson.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e6NuhnD4bsA/Ss6db_smPrI/AAAAAAAABF0/UH0k3z0hizU/s400/PatrickPetersonRain.jpg

According to his page on LSU's website.

- Was laser-timed at 4.37 in the 40-yard dash during the spring
- Squats 535 pounds and benches 335
- Also has a 39-inch vertical jump and also went 11-feet, 1-inch in the broad jump

bce
07-31-2010, 03:36 PM
I dont think there is any question of patrick petersons physical ability for a man of his size, but being 220 is irrelevant for a corner. But 4.37 is not top end speed for a corner. He may be an above average speed for a corner, but not by much, when theres guys out there running in the 4.2's, and the fact that hes doing it at 220 is irrelevant for his position, you dont need bulk to be a top corner, it may even be a hindrance.

Adam carriker is much less of a bust than chris long. The 12th pick or whatever vs the 2nd overall. 10 mil guaranteed against 30 mil guaranteed.

It is undeniable, chris long is one of the top 10 draft busts of all time. A qb busts, sometimes you have to take them anyway because the cost of them busting is less than the cost of them panning out and you passing.

But there was no rhyme or reason for taking chris long. It was one of the worst draft picks ever.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 03:43 PM
I dont think there is any question of patrick petersons physical ability for a man of his size, but being 220 is irrelevant for a corner. But 4.37 is not top end speed for a corner. He may be an above average speed for a corner, but not by much, when theres guys out there running in the 4.2's, and the fact that hes doing it at 220 is irrelevant for his position, you dont need bulk to be a top corner, it may even be a hindrance.

Adam carriker is much less of a bust than chris long. The 12th pick or whatever vs the 2nd overall. 10 mil guaranteed against 30 mil guaranteed.

It is undeniable, chris long is one of the top 10 draft busts of all time. A qb busts, sometimes you have to take them anyway because the cost of them busting is less than the cost of them panning out and you passing.

But there was no rhyme or reason for taking chris long. It was one of the worst draft picks ever.

Yes there was. A 6 year 62.5 million dollar deal for bulger the year before. Made no sense to take Ryan. Let's get back to Peterson, if you wanna continue send me a pm and we'll discuss it

bce
07-31-2010, 03:50 PM
WEll maybe that was the mistake then giving that money to mark bulger. Mistakes do tend to lead to bigger mistakes.There were a lot of directions they could have gone that wouldnt have been the worst draft pick of all time that year.

Someones going to make the same mistake with patrick peterson this year if prock has his way. I think peterson is a better player and prospect, but #2 overall hes one of the biggest draft mistakes in history.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 04:21 PM
WEll maybe that was the mistake then giving that money to mark bulger. Mistakes do tend to lead to bigger mistakes.There were a lot of directions they could have gone that wouldnt have been the worst draft pick of all time that year.

Someones going to make the same mistake with patrick peterson this year if prock has his way. I think peterson is a better player and prospect, but #2 overall hes one of the biggest draft mistakes in history.

So taking Greg Romeus 2nd like you said makes sense? He's gonna be 23. OMG the same age that Suh is going to be opening day!!!!

If the rookie salary cap is in place next year then it makes sense to take PP with a top 10 pick because you won't be shelling out 40 million dollars.

bce
07-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Greg romeus is a pass rusher and if hes a 10 sack per year player hes worth the money, thats the going rate for double digit sack producers, so he actaully has a chance to earn his money. Plus he plays a position of much higher value, more necessary to have elites to win lombardis than corner or defensive tackle

I wouldnt bank on the top pick money being that much lower either. Youre probably still looking at 8-10 mil per year for the second pick, if there even is a rookie pay scale.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Greg romeus is a pass rusher and if hes a 10 sack per year player hes worth the money, thats the going rate for double digit sack producers, so he actaully has a chance to earn his money. Plus he plays a position of much higher value, more necessary to have elites to win lombardis than corner or defensive tackle

I wouldnt bank on the top pick money being that much lower either. Youre probably still looking at 8-10 mil per year for the second pick, if there even is a rookie pay scale.

How can he get to double digits in the NFL when he can only get 8 in college? Elite DEs- Jared Allen 0 super bowl appearances
Dwight freeney- 2 with 1 win
Elvis dumervil- 0 super bowl appearances
Julius peppers- 1 appearance
Mario Williams- 0 super bowl appearances

I'm leaving guys off but those were the 5 that came to mind first. The 4-3 defensive end is slowly becoming a dying breed with more and more teams switching to the 3-4

bce
07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
what about james harrison and lamarr woodley, osi and strahan, smith and grant, freeney and mathis. Everyone of those players has p[roduced a double digit sack season. Those are the starting pass rushers for the last 4 super bowl champions. pretty impressive list.

You have to have them. You cant live without them and i dont care if you have 1 because you need 2, so unless you have 2 or theres not an elite pass rush prospect available that year where your picking. simple rule. Thou shalt not pass if you want to win world championships.

murdamal86
07-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Can y'all two just PM each other and stop spamming this thread with irrelevant stuff?

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 04:50 PM
what about james harrison and lamarr woodley, osi and strahan, smith and grant, freeney and mathis. Everyone of those players has p[roduced a double digit sack season. Those are the starting pass rushers for the last 4 super bowl champions. pretty impressive list.

You have to have them. You cant live without them and i dont care if you have 1 because you need 2, so unless you have 2 or theres not an elite pass rush prospect available that year where your picking. simple rule. Thou shalt not pass if you want to win world championships.

I thought it was defensive ends that were more valuable. Pass rushers is another story because of the 3-4 defense. The other common thing that they have is a top notch middle linebacker.

bce
07-31-2010, 04:58 PM
pass rushers in general

bce
07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
The common thread they have is great qb play and pass rushers.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Can y'all two just PM each other and stop spamming this thread with irrelevant stuff?

It's relevant for whether or not Peterson should be a high pick. I say yes because it's easier to get a dynamic pass rusher than it is to get a guy who can take away half the field.

bce
07-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Thats absolutely ridiculous, because you dont need a guy who takes away half the field to win nfl championships. You need elite pass rushers to win nfl championships.

CLong4Heisman
07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Thats absolutely ridiculous, because you dont need a guy who takes away half the field to win nfl championships. You need elite pass rushers to win nfl championships.

I never said that you need either one of those. I said it's tougher to find a guy who can take away half the field. 22 guys had 8.0 sacks or higher last season, The Redskins had 2 guys with 11.0 sacks. TULLY BANTA-CAIN HAD 9. Of course you need to have a pass rush but you don't need elite guys.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
It's relevant for whether or not Peterson should be a high pick. I say yes because it's easier to get a dynamic pass rusher than it is to get a guy who can take away half the field.

Then start talking about Peterson and why he should be drafted high instead of talking about pass-rushers, which is completely irrelevant to Patrick Peterson.

Peterson will very likely be taken high, period. CB's have gone early before and they will go early again.

He deserves to go early because he's the best CB prospect to arrive in a while. And if a good team sucks it up because of other factors (injuries, suspensions, etc.) and they need a good CB, they'll take him.

Teams could also trade up. Peterson is as promising a CB prospect as they come. He definitely has the potential to become a true lockdown corner. He has great size and great skills.

And a team will not draft him depending on how a good a pass-rush they have. They'll draft him because he's a great player.

Brent
07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e6NuhnD4bsA/Ss6db_smPrI/AAAAAAAABF0/UH0k3z0hizU/s400/PatrickPetersonRain.jpg
that isnt a great job of photoshopping

FUNBUNCHER
07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant to discuss which is more valuable, an elite pass rushing prospect or a shutdown corner like Peterson.

Think of it this way, if PP is the player some suspect he is, he's going to make the pass rush more effective by giving LBs and DEs a couple more seconds to get to the QB.

The same goes for an elite pass rushing DE/LB, he eliminates the need for a team to find a great cover corner because the QB won't have much time to sit back and dissect a secondary.

Currently in the NFL, I don't think there are that many pure, elite type cornerbacks. A lot of good ones, but very few once-in-a-generation types.

If I had to choose between an elite pass rusher, a guy who's expected to get to the QB at least 10 times in an average year, IMO he has more value than a Revis type corner.

Again, since it's rare that this type of scenario ever plays out this way, (imagine Deion Sanders and Derrick Thomas being available when your team picks at #3, who do you take??), I'd go with the BPA.

Right now I don't see a pass rusher in the upcoming draft who grades out as high as Patrick Peterson, but there's still a full season of college football left to play.

Texas Homer
08-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Are these reports that he is 220 legit?...I don't want to make too much of that, but if that is correct then I could see him possibly sliding to FS at some point...again just my opinion here. He may be able to handle playing CB at "220".

bce, 4.37 for a CB may not be Elite speed, but in my opinion 4.37 is plenty fast enough for a CB in the NFL.

I could see Peterson maybe going at #4 or #5 in the draft, but I'm more inclined to guess more likely around #7. Its early though, and a lot will depend on team's needs, slot position, ect. to where Peterson could be drafted.

Legit top 10 pick (imo).

AntoinCD
08-01-2010, 03:32 AM
Any CB with any speed in the 4.3s has no worries about his speed. Even for smaller CBs that would put them in the above average category. For a CB who is 6'1 and from reports anywhere between 210-220lbs then that is superb as he not only has the height to play against the taller WRs, or the strength to outmuscle them at the jam, but also the make up speed when he does get beat. It would be nice to see him get a few more INTs this season, however he is as close to the total package that there's been in a long time at CB.

descendency
08-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Can someone please name these 4.2 corners?

AntoinCD
08-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Can someone please name these 4.2 corners?

You mean you don't know??? Obviously the best CBs run in the 4.2s. I mean Ike Taylor is the best ever...um Fabian Washington is going to the Hall...you know you just can't be good if you're so slow you can't run less than a pedestrian 4.3

FUNBUNCHER
08-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah, that claim that 4.3 speed isn't elite for any corner was a misstatement, IMO.
That's prototype speed if a CB has sound technique. Even if he doesn't have great technique, 4.3 recovery speed allows a corner to hide his mistakes when he takes a false step.

Like others have stated, it's not PP's speed that makes him such an intriguing prospect, it's his height/weight combo. If he measures anywhere close to 6'1 at 210 - 218#, there hasn't been a corner that big entering the league since Bobby Taylor.

If corner prospects are being downgraded for not running sub 4.3, then teams might as well start fazing out the position.

The ability to open up one's hips to turn and run, short area quickness, burst and ball skills are more important than pure straight line speed for a cover corner.

Texas Homer
08-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that claim that 4.3 speed isn't elite for any corner was a misstatement, IMO.
That's prototype speed if a CB has sound technique. Even if he doesn't have great technique, 4.3 recovery speed allows a corner to hide his mistakes when he takes a false step.

Like others have stated, it's not PP's speed that makes him such an intriguing prospect, it's his height/weight combo. If he measures anywhere close to 6'1 at 210 - 218#, there hasn't been a corner that big entering the league since Bobby Taylor.

If corner prospects are being downgraded for not running sub 4.3, then teams might as well start fazing out the position.

The ability to open up one's hips to turn and run, short area quickness, burst and ball skills are more important than pure straight line speed for a cover corner.

That is a nice write up.

bce
08-01-2010, 04:32 PM
DRC, champ bailey, ike taylor 4.2 speed. 4.3 flat speed i would agree thats elite speed for a corner. 4.37 speed is getting into the more average area. There are quite a few 4.37 type corners in the nfl.

I agree you dont discard coreners totally if they dont have great top end speed. You just discard corners with top 5 picks if they dont have top end speed AND elite ball skills shown on tape, which means making wr catches and making things happen after the catch. I believe patrick peterson displays neither. he has the makings of a potentially solid nfl corner. You cant use a top 5 pick on a guy who's just going to be a solid corner, a guy who doesnt show elite ball skills, a guy who cant turn a pick into a td or make a pick that most corners wouldnt make. Otherwise hes just a slower ike taylor, which isnt bad, but its still a slower ike taylor.

prock
08-01-2010, 04:34 PM
DRC, champ bailey, ike taylor 4.2 speed. 4.3 flat speed i would agree thats elite speed for a corner. 4.37 speed is getting into the more average area. There are quite a few 4.37 type corners in the nfl.

I agree you dont discard coreners totally if they dont have great top end speed. You just discard corners with top 5 picks if they dont have top end speed AND elite ball skills shown on tape, which means making wr catches and making things happen after the catch. I believe patrick peterson displays neither. he has the makings of a potentially solid nfl corner. You cant use a top 5 pick on a guy who's just going to be a solid corner, a guy who doesnt show elite ball skills, a guy who cant turn a pick into a td or make a pick that most corners wouldnt make. Otherwise hes just a slower ike taylor, which isnt bad, but its still a slower ike taylor.

You keep saying PP doesn't have elite ball skills and have provided no reasoning for such a ridiculous claim.

wicket
08-01-2010, 04:41 PM

ike taylor is a mediocre corner and nnamdi who is one of the best corners in the league ran a fairly average 4.48, woodson ran a 4.47 really, fluid hips, technique and instincts are way more important than running a 4.3

bce
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
You keep saying PP doesn't have elite ball skills and have provided no reasoning for such a ridiculous claim.

Because hes not maing a lot of picks and wr catches and not looking like deion sanders or ed reed when he gets the ball in his hands

bce
08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
ike taylor is a mediocre corner and nnamdi who is one of the best corners in the league ran a fairly average 4.48, woodson ran a 4.47 really, fluid hips, technique and instincts are way more important than running a 4.3

Point being is that in order to be worth a top 5 pick, you need to have both 4.3 speed and ball skills i.e fluid hips, technique and instincts. You need both.

prock
08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Because hes not maing a lot of picks and wr catches and not looking like deion sanders or ed reed when he gets the ball in his hands

So he doesn't look the the two of the greatest of all time when he gets the ball in his hands? I thought you didn't compare to all time greats? He isn't making picks because teams don't throw his way as much. WR catches? He is a corner. He was a sophomore last year. He hasn't been around long enough to have opportunities for these incredible picks that you so rarely see. Antonio Cromartie makes those picks sometimes, he is super fast, and is incredible with the ball in his hands, but he is a garbage corner. Why is that?

wicket
08-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Point being is that in order to be worth a top 5 pick, you need to have both 4.3 speed and ball skills i.e fluid hips, technique and instincts. You need both.

since instincts and technique are all schales as well its always weighing all those factors against eachother and when one combines petersons ball skills (13 PBU last season) with his incredibly fluid hips, his speed and instincts one gets a phenomenal prospect who, at this point, is rated about as highly as a corner can be. When one subsequently considers that corner is arguably the second most important position on a 4-3 defense and third most on a 34 D it follows that Peterson can easily be regarded as a top 5 pick

bce
08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
So he doesn't look the the two of the greatest of all time when he gets the ball in his hands? I thought you didn't compare to all time greats? He isn't making picks because teams don't throw his way as much. WR catches? He is a corner. He was a sophomore last year. He hasn't been around long enough to have opportunities for these incredible picks that you so rarely see. Antonio Cromartie makes those picks sometimes, he is super fast, and is incredible with the ball in his hands, but he is a garbage corner. Why is that?

So basically he hasnt shown elite ball skills although you say otherwise. Im comparing him to an all time great because thats what he needs to be in order to be worthy of a top 5 pick. I dont know is antonio cromartie a garbage corner and even so i didnt see anyone using a top 5 pick on him. So youre speculating he has great ball skills. But you havent seen it.

I dont speculate. I believe what i see.

bce
08-01-2010, 05:36 PM
since instincts and technique are all schales as well its always weighing all those factors against eachother and when one combines petersons ball skills (13 PBU last season) with his incredibly fluid hips, his speed and instincts one gets a phenomenal prospect who, at this point, is rated about as highly as a corner can be. When one subsequently considers that corner is arguably the second most important position on a 4-3 defense and third most on a 34 D it follows that Peterson can easily be regarded as a top 5 pick

You cant prove he has great instincts because hes not making a lot of picks, and you cant prove he has fluid technique because you dont know what technique hes supposed to be employing. 13 passed defended is not that many. Ike taylor had 28 in one nfl season against nfl players. For all the passes he defensing, which isnt that many, hes not making that many picks, which shows he lacks elite ball skills. If hes the 3rd most important component of the defense, then why would you be using a top 5 pick there? wouldnt you be better served to use a top 5 pick on the first most important component of the defense, to assure that you get an elite talent at the first most important position?

prock
08-01-2010, 05:37 PM
So basically he hasnt shown elite ball skills although you say otherwise. Im comparing him to an all time great because thats what he needs to be in order to be worthy of a top 5 pick. I dont know is antonio cromartie a garbage corner and even so i didnt see anyone using a top 5 pick on him. So youre speculating he has great ball skills. But you havent seen it.

Actually I have seen he has great ball skills. Having ball skills isn't just running with the ball and making incredible catches, it is defending passes, being able to find the ball in the air, and adjust accordingly. You don't even know what ball skills are for a corner.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 05:39 PM

If you think Cromartie does not have elite ball skils then you need to find the footage of his INT vs the Colts in 2007 ( I think) and guess who owns the longest play in NFL history? Cromartie. Guess who's also one of the worst corners in the NFL? I'll give you a hint. his name rhymes with Fantonio Bromartie

bce
08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
He hasnt shown any of that you just said it in your previous post "hes not getting the ball thrwon at him hes only a sophomore"

For me elite ball skills are making wr catches and then morphing into ed reed once you get the ball into your hands. If passes defended is a measure of elite ball skills, then ike taylor has elite ball skills. Like i said hes a slower ike taylor.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
He hasnt shown any of that you just said it in your previous post "hes not getting the ball thrwon at him hes only a sophomore"

For me elite ball skills are making wr catches and then morphing into ed reed once you get the ball into your hands. If passes defended is a measure of elite ball skills, then ike taylor has elite ball skills. Like i said hes a slower ike taylor.

Considering you think Ike is a top notch NFL CB then this is a compliment on how good PP is going to be.

wicket
08-01-2010, 05:43 PM

PP is about 10 times as physical as Ike Taylor and has very fluid hips whilst Ike Taylor has the hips of a fullback. Ike Taylor consistantly needs his speed to try and bail him out, which sometimes works, sometimes it doesnt. PP has the fluid hips to not even get out of position (well not systematically). Basically the two are nothing alike

bce
08-01-2010, 05:50 PM
PP is about 10 times as physical as Ike Taylor and has very fluid hips whilst Ike Taylor has the hips of a fullback. Ike Taylor consistantly needs his speed to try and bail him out, which sometimes works, sometimes it doesnt. PP has the fluid hips to not even get out of position (well not systematically). Basically the two are nothing alike

Absolutely false. No nfl corner is more physical and tackles better than ike taylor. So i doubt patrick peterson is more physical than ike taylor.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Absolutely false. No nfl corner is more physical and tackles better than ike taylor. So i doubt patrick peterson is more physical than ike taylor.

That's what happens when your guy catches the ball all the time.

bce
08-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Thats absolutely false as well. Thats what happens when you run support better than any corner on earth and you dont miss tackles.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Thats absolutely false as well. Thats what happens when you run support better than any corner on earth and you dont miss tackles.

Larry Fitzgerald thinks Ike Taylor can't tackle or cover. Especially 4.18 vs 4.63 but timed speed is every thing

bce
08-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Thats one play in a thousand. For every one of those theres 100 where guys dont make the play and he makes tackle. Other than that play, which should have been a 10 yard completion if not for the mistakes of others, he shut down larry fitzgerald, adn the idea that larry fitzgerald has 4.63 speed, certainly not in football pads.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 06:07 PM
It should have been a 10 yard pass? Well yeah if Ike didn't mess up. You always bring up timed speed and I just showed you why it doesn't matter on the field. Peterson runs a 4.37 but that doesn't mean he lacks football speed which you seem to think.

He also went for 7 and 127 with 2 scores so yeah Ike dominated that matchup

wicket
08-01-2010, 06:10 PM

im really tempted to list the 30 or so NFL corners that are more physical but I think everyone already gets my point

bce
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
It should have been a 10 yard pass? Well yeah if Ike didn't mess up. You always bring up timed speed and I just showed you why it doesn't matter on the field. Peterson runs a 4.37 but that doesn't mean he lacks football speed which you seem to think.

He also went for 7 and 127 with 2 scores so yeah Ike dominated that matchup

One of them was a 60 yard td that should have been a 10 yard completion, if not for the mistakes of others. That drops it down to 7 77-1 and the td fitz caught ike was right there in perfect position, fitzgerald made a great catch, as great players often do. The best get the best of you some times. But there are x amount of times he got the best of the best. just ask ocho cinco.

bce
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
im really tempted to list the 30 or so NFL corners that are more physical but I think everyone already gets my point

There are 0

FUNBUNCHER
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Agreed, ball skills, ( being able to track the ball in the air, go get it, then pick up big return yardage), is different than having great cover skills.

Cromartie has sick ball skills, but he's too sloppy and undisciplined in coverage that he doesn't get the opportunities to be in a position to make a clean play on the football.

Same goes for Deangelo Hall; great ball skills, poor in man coverage.

Still, Patrick Peterson held AJ Green to 4 catches in 2009 and Julio Jones only had 3 against PP.

So far Peterson looks the part of an elite cover corner and the clear (so far) #1 CB in the 2011 draft class, but it would be nice if he got his hands on more balls in 2010.

wicket
08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
There are about 30

fixed it for you

bce
08-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Thats all im saying. Patrick peterson is in the top 20 on my board. hes a great prospect, great physical ability, but the idea of escewing the positions of highest value to take this guy gasp! #2 overall, theres just nowhere near that much there. He needs to be deion sanders. he needs to make wow catches and wow plays with the ball in his hands and be able to blanket the best. he has some of the traits. he has ike taylor traits, hes physical, shows he can cover, has high end physical ability, but the one thing hes yet to show is making that spectacular pick or taking that pick and turning into a punt returner. The darelle revis's of the world, the champ baileys of the world they do all of it. Those types are worthy of high picks, guys who have no holes.

The chalres woodsons and ike taylors and antonio cromarties of the world do a lot of things well, but they dont do it all well. Charles woodson makes a lot of amazing plays, but hes also burnt toast. Patrick peterson doesnt do it all well and combined with not position of highest value theres just no way i could ever build my team around him, which is what you should be doing when you have a top 5 pick. You need to build your team around that player.

FUNBUNCHER
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't any team ever builds their D around a corner, doesn't matter how good he is.

Corners taken top 5 - 7 are usually BPA picks, I think.

As for Peterson's ball skills, there's a youtube clip of the INT Peterson had against Julio Jones last season that the refs overturned. Helluva play.

bce
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Right so if youre taking a player in the top 5, and youre a bad team, and you need players to build your team around, why would you take patrick peterson. It makes no sense.

wicket
08-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Right so if youre taking a player in the top 5, and youre a bad team, and you need players to build your team around, why would you take patrick peterson. It makes no sense.

cuz the term "building a team around" is misplaced. The only positions that can be used for that are FS, MLB, QB and maybe RB.

That doesnt mean that FS, MLB or RB are high value draft spots, it just means that they are the faces of the franchise. The positional value chart is quite different and somewhat arbitrary to boot, however corner is one of the most important positions on that list.

bce
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
since when do you build your defense around a safety or mlb. They are complementary players. If youre smart, you build your defense around your pass rushers, bring in players to complement them, you dont bring in complementary pass rushers around your safeties and mlb.

Its not arbitrary, the most important key to playing winning defense in the nfl in 2010 is getting to the qb. Theres two ways to do that, the first way is to have elites at the position and the second way is to do it the rex ryan way and blitz every play, which leaves you more susceptible. Either way, you dont get to these super accurate passers, yopu give them time consistently, you are going to lose, it doesnt matter who your corners are who your mlb is, who your safeties are if you dont get there consistently you lose.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
since when do you build your defense around a safety or mlb. They are complementary players. If youre smart, you build your defense around your pass rushers, bring in players to complement them, you dont bring in complementary pass rushers around your safeties and mlb.

Its not arbitrary, the most important key to playing winning defense in the nfl in 2010 is getting to the qb. Theres two ways to do that, the first way is to have elites at the position and the second way is to do it the rex ryan way and blitz every play, which leaves you more susceptible. Either way, you dont get to these super accurate passers, yopu give them time consistently, you are going to lose, it doesnt matter who your corners are who your mlb is, who your safeties are if you dont get there consistently you lose.

Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. The complimentary players are the pass rushers. Ray Lewis won a Super Bowl and Ed Reed has great ball skils and both are Hall of Famers (Ray for sure and Ed if he plays 2 more years at a high level)

wicket
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM

dude, just repeating your points that have already been discussed and dismissed isnt really productive posting.

But I'll help you again:
Better corners means you can blitz more without getting burned which means more pass rush.
Better mlb means the run is less dangerous, which means the offensive is more predictable, which means better pass defense

do i really need to keep going. Pass rushers are just a cog in a whole framework and the greatest pass rushers in the league all have no ring outside of freeney. The Jets made the AFCCG, pretty much on the back of their DBs.

Basically its just annoying discussing things with you when you just keep repeating the same points that have already been discussed and been proven flawed.

bce
08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Wouldnt it be better if you didnt have to blitz more, that would make it easier for your secondary, make you less susceptible to big plays.
Really james harrison and lamarr woodley have no ring, strahan tuck osi have no ring?

bce
08-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Youre overmatched kid. give it up. The numbers and the reality of whos winning these days do not back up your statements.

wicket
08-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Youre overmatched kid. give it up. The numbers and the reality of whos winning these days do not back up your statements.

if you combine these sort of statements with the nonsense youre typing you will not get a lot of respect out here, gave you all the numbers you need and when you read them you just restate your debunked original point, just give it up already

bce
08-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Youve debunked nothing, unless youre saying that you can let peyton manning or other elite qb stand back there all day unfettered and you believe your going to ever be able to not have him eat you alive, if you believe that hes not going to burn you bringing the house every play regardless of who your dbs are. You believe you can win world championships that way? Just stock your team with high pick dbs and blitz every play? You think thats going to work?

wicket
08-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Youve debunked nothing, unless youre saying that you can let peyton manning or other elite qb stand back there all day unfettered and you believe your going to ever be able to not have him eat you alive, if you believe that hes not going to burn you bringing the house every play regardless of who your dbs are. You believe you can win world championships that way? Just stock your team with high pick dbs and blitz every play? You think thats going to work?

yeah cuz not drafting pass rushers early in every draft is the same as having guys who just stand at the line of scrimmage and do nothing and please just read back, ive debunked all i needed to debunk.

Ow yeah and the saints did win the superbowl with only getting pressure with blitzer. Wanna know how they could keep it up?

by great db play.

but im done replying to you know, you just keep doing the same thing and posting nonsense in the same way, if you feel that makes that you win the argument, feel free but in my perception your just cluttering and sabotaging a perfectly good draft discussion forum.

bce
08-01-2010, 08:06 PM
of course you are

prock
08-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha you can't honestly believe this.

Saints-Tigers
08-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Peterson, and CBs in general, are highly overrated.

A Perfect Score
08-02-2010, 01:46 AM
CwbbsXdTVcc

Best tackling corner in the NFL lady and gentlemen.

CLong4Heisman
08-02-2010, 01:01 PM

It's been proven that it's better to not blitz Peyton Manning.

Sniper
08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm re-watching the Capital One Bowl on the BTN right now. Derek Moye flat-out took Peterson to school on PSU's first TD. Peterson bit hard on the double-move.

FUNBUNCHER
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm re-watching the Capital One Bowl on the BTN right now. Derek Moye flat-out took Peterson to school on PSU's first TD. Peterson bit hard on the double-move.

I give Peterson a slight pass on that play because of the field conditions. Not saying he would have recovered and made the play on a dry field, but that turf was like a piss soaked cow pasture.

If PP lacks the hips to play man corner in the NFL, he still looks like a top 15 prospect as a free safety.

As a pure free safety, I like Peterson practically better than anyone who came out last year, mostly because of his size.

TACKLE
08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I came up with a comparison I really like. Patrick Peterson reminds me a lot of Chris McAlister. Very similar size, speed, athleticism and skill sets. Both are very solid tacklers. If you remember, McAlister was a top 10 pick and was an elite CB in the league for years.

FUNBUNCHER
08-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I came up with a comparison I really like. Patrick Peterson reminds me a lot of Chris McAlister. Very similar size, speed, athleticism and skill sets. Both are very solid tacklers. If you remember, McAlister was a top 10 pick and was an elite CB in the league for years.

Great comparison to McAlister. Physically, they might be twins. If he's that level of player at corner at 6 feet+, 200#+, he could go top 5.

Rabscuttle
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't believe I watched a single LSU game last year or the year before. I'm not sure how that happened, but I will have to watch since the Niners have some weakness at corner. Peterson has these amazing measurables, but my concern with all corners is how well they flip their hips and run with receivers. It's a lot easier to hide this deficeincy in the college game than on Sundays. So how does he do at staying close to his man? My team needs a guy that can help break up passes on third down, is Peterson the man for the job?

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't think the 49ers will have a shot a drafting Peterson in 2011. If SF picks before number 20, it would be a surprise to me.

dannyz
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
They would have to be picking in the top 10 to even have a chance a Peterson.

Rabscuttle
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
It is still really early in the process to set a prospect's position in stone and the Niners are willing to move a bit to get a guy they like. Now if they are around the 23 slot and have to go top 8, that would be hard to do. This is a year where there are some corners that could do really well in the evaluation process and things may not shake out exactly how we think they will.

You guys are most likely right, but in the event you aren't, he is worth Niner fans looking at. That's all I am saying.

Fat_Actor
09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I wish people would quit giving him to the Bucs. He does not fit our system that we run.

09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I wish people would quit giving him to the Bucs. He does not fit our system that we run.

You don't want Patrick Peterson?!??! Go kill yourself now.

He can play in practically any system, btw.

Fat_Actor
09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Well we have bigger needs than CB. OMG!!! Is he going to raise our pass defense by one stat? Oh I cannot wait. Besides Prince Amukamara is way better.

09-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Well we have bigger needs than CB. OMG!!! Is he going to raise our pass defense by one stat? Oh I cannot wait. Besides Prince Amukamara is way better.

Peterson can makes players around him better; Amukamara cannot. Talib instantaneously becomes a Pro Bowler with Peterson, and he'll see a spike in turnover opportunities, something that I question that you'd see with Amukamara instead. Last time I checked, a big physical corner who can tackle well was a desirable trait. Is Peterson better suited for man coverage schemes? Sure. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a huge addition (and a major upgrade, at that) over your current personnel.

Fat_Actor
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Look I am sorry for putting down Peterson. He is a good corner, but we have bigger needs than CB. DE and OT are a lot bigger. See that is what is making upset is when I see people give us Peterson and have us passing on guys like Quinn and Camri that would help us out a lot more. Those will be our two biggest needs this year. CB is a viable 3rd or 4th round pick and we have some pretty good corners on our team that our young. Peterson would be better with another team all I am saying.

prock
09-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Look I am sorry for putting down Peterson. He is a good corner, but we have bigger needs than CB. DE and OT are a lot bigger. See that is what is making upset is when I see people give us Peterson and have us passing on guys like Quinn and Camri that would help us out a lot more. Those will be our two biggest needs this year. CB is a viable 3rd or 4th round pick and we have some pretty good corners on our team that our young. Peterson would be better with another team all I am saying.

And Peterson is twice as good as any tackle that is available in the 2011 draft. And he is also way better than any end.

San Diego Chicken
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I see him as the heir apparent to Nnamdi.

09-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I see him as the heir apparent to Nnamdi.

As a player, or on the Raiders? Because we don't have a first round pick this year, and the only way we could probably acquire one is via a blockbuster deal involving Nnamdi.

Chucky
09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with Fat Actor on this one. I would ******* love if the bucs were able to snatch up Peterson in the draft. Even though we just drafted Myron Lewis Peterson is a special talent, and it would be foolish for us to pass him up.

San Diego Chicken
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
As a player, or on the Raiders? Because we don't have a first round pick this year, and the only way we could probably acquire one is via a blockbuster deal involving Nnamdi.

Oops, I meant as a player, how long limbed and fluid he is.

Saints-Tigers
09-02-2010, 08:09 PM
And Peterson is twice as good as any tackle that is available in the 2011 draft. And he is also way better than any end.

I don't think I'd take him over Adrian Clayborn right now.

SenorGato
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Peterson, and CBs in general, are highly overrated.

+1

I like him...just like I like Darrelle Revis....but holy crap no defense is built around a cornerback. There's no such thing.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
+1

I like him...just like I like Darrelle Revis....but holy crap no defense is built around a cornerback. There's no such thing.

What? The Jets defense last season was built ENTIRELY around Revis. Ryan's exotic pressure schemes were only successful because he was able to leave Revis on and island and not worry about another team's primary receiver. In fact, look at that Jets defense...its entirely unremarkable except for Revis. He's the cog that makes it run. I hate to break it to you, but that defense is built around a cornerback.

Fat_Actor
09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Peterson can makes players around him better; Amukamara cannot. Talib instantaneously becomes a Pro Bowler with Peterson, and he'll see a spike in turnover opportunities, something that I question that you'd see with Amukamara instead. Last time I checked, a big physical corner who can tackle well was a desirable trait. Is Peterson better suited for man coverage schemes? Sure. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a huge addition (and a major upgrade, at that) over your current personnel.

Look I would be happy if we took Peterson, but we need a DE like a desert needs rain. An elite DE would help us out a lot more than an elite CB. Our pass defense was ranked 10th last year. Peterson would only be raising it to maybe 8th or around there. An elite DE like Quinn or Clayborn would raise our entire defense because they could help out our entire front seven and do not tell me that **** about we could get a DE in the 2nd round because after Dareus, Quinn, Clayborn, and Romeus. There is a huge drop off on talent and we would be getting a mediocre DE unless one of the guys I just named falls, which I doubt. Tampa Bay would be better off taking a DE and if they fail to get one of those guys I mentioned then this team would be in the top 5 in 2012.

Oh and just because the Jets built their team around a CB does not mean Tampa could do it.

Fat_Actor
09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with Fat Actor on this one. I would ******* love if the bucs were able to snatch up Peterson in the draft. Even though we just drafted Myron Lewis Peterson is a special talent, and it would be foolish for us to pass him up.

If Patrick Peterson and Robert Quinn were both available. Who would you take?

Chucky
09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
If Patrick Peterson and Robert Quinn were both available. Who would you take?

Peterson. You don't pass up on a talent like him

09-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Best talent eligible for the draft, how 'bout that? Good choice, Chucky.

roscoesdad27
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think I'd take him over Adrian Clayborn right now.

i would...lets say for the bucs for example who has a need at both spots.....claybrone certainly doesnt fit the profile for a r.e. in the tampa 2 scheme whilst peterson is absolutely perfect for the scheme.

with that said i would only take quinn at d.e. over peterson.

Sniper
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Is anyone concerned that Peterson may outgrow the CB spot? He's already at 220-222 pounds. Say he gains a couple more pounds. Can he play at 225-230?

09-05-2010, 08:25 PM
WxqJjwuUCvg

TACKLE
09-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Is anyone concerned that Peterson may outgrow the CB spot? He's already at 220-222 pounds. Say he gains a couple more pounds. Can he play at 225-230?

It's possible he could move to FS but his man to man cover skills are so elite that it would almost be a waste to move him out of corner. The extra weight clearly isn't effecting his speed or athleticism. It is crazy to think that there is a 225 CB who runs in the 4.3's. PP is not only a new breed of cornerback, he's also a new breed of human being.

roscoesdad27
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Look I would be happy if we took Peterson, but we need a DE like a desert needs rain. An elite DE would help us out a lot more than an elite CB. Our pass defense was ranked 10th last year. Peterson would only be raising it to maybe 8th or around there. An elite DE like Quinn or Clayborn would raise our entire defense because they could help out our entire front seven and do not tell me that **** about we could get a DE in the 2nd round because after Dareus, Quinn, Clayborn, and Romeus. There is a huge drop off on talent and we would be getting a mediocre DE unless one of the guys I just named falls, which I doubt. Tampa Bay would be better off taking a DE and if they fail to get one of those guys I mentioned then this team would be in the top 5 in 2012.

Oh and just because the Jets built their team around a CB does not mean Tampa could do it.

i would like wise take quinn over peterson for you guys but no way in hell does clayborne fit the script of a r.e. in the tampa scheme.

and just cause the tampa scheme isnt centered around a corner, physical corners are very highly prized in the scheme and is right there with r.e., u.t. and wlb as the most important positions....with that said a team running the rex ryan defensive scheme would be foolish to pass on peterson who has the tools to be every bit the player revis is.

my tampa big board

1) r. quinn
2) p. peterson
3) g. romeus
4) p. amukamara
5) m. ingram

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
If PP has the ability to play cover corner in the NFL at an excess of 215-218# and can run a 4.45 or better, that is FREAKISH.

To lockup against a big WR or jam him at the LOS, it wouldn't hurt to have a corner who can at least match up physically.

wordofi
09-06-2010, 12:30 AM
1) r. quinn
2) p. peterson
3) g. romeus
4) p. amukamara
5) m. ingram

They should target Quinn. Screw the other players. Quinn reportedly runs a 4.5 at 270 lbs. Also, I don't get why took Brian Price when they took McCoy at #3. If they really wanted a stuffer, they could have gotten one in free agency.

wordofi
09-06-2010, 12:33 AM

I disagree. If you have a good pass rush, then you don't need a great corner. While having a great corner allows for a defense to blitz more often, a great pass rusher allows the defense to commit more players to coverage. I'd rather have more players in coverage than having to rely on blitzing.

roscoesdad27
09-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I disagree. If you have a good pass rush, then you don't need a great corner. While having a great corner allows for a defense to blitz more often, a great pass rusher allows the defense to commit more players to coverage. I'd rather have more players in coverage than having to rely on blitzing.

the jets preferred the opposite last season and had the best defense in the league....they could afford to blitz and rotate coverage away from revis island to make up for it.

SwagU
09-06-2010, 12:47 AM
A guy this big, physical and fast is not some peoples first choice at Corner? I think 619's video showed it best, Peterson is a super breed of Corner. Amukamara is a good Corner, but I think Peterson is far above everyone else right now. No doubt first DB off the board IMO. He also has a bit of swagger to him needed in a big time Corner. I expect a monster year from him. I think Peterson has a good shot at winning the Heisman, because he has returning working in his favor just like Woodson did.

AntoinCD
09-06-2010, 05:03 AM
the jets preferred the opposite last season and had the best defense in the league....they could afford to blitz and rotate coverage away from revis island to make up for it.

True but they had the luxury to do that because Revis was so dominant. Even with Revis there, if the Jets had anyone who could be a beast at rushing the passer and allowed more coverage players to be on the field Rex would be crazy not to do it. We seen in the AFCCG in the second half that when the blitz didn't get there, Peyton Manning picked the rest of the jets secondary apart

wicket
09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
If there were still people complaining about Petersons ballskills that issue shouldve been resolved by his early performance this season

etk
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
^ If you're looking for a great cover guy that doesn't make any plays meet Brandon Harris.

If you're looking for a more consistent version of Antonio Cromartie then Patrick Peterson is your guy.

shylo3716
09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Who would you compare Peterson to? I don't see one.

roscoesdad27
09-26-2010, 06:32 PM

mel blount

shylo3716
09-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I say he's the "David Boston" of CB's

TACKLE
09-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Chris McCalister.

Morton
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
He's kind of like this generations' Charles Woodson, no? A defensive player with offensive ability via the return game?

Also - are his cover skills really as elite as everyone thinks? When was the last time Peterson faced a legit #1 WR?

I remember watching the LSU-PSU bowl game last year and seeing Peterson get burnt by one of PSU's slow WRs. Maybe it was a fluke, but it didn't look good.

Sniper
09-27-2010, 07:48 AM
He's kind of like this generations' Charles Woodson, no?

If you took Charles Woodson's ability and divided it in 50, then yeah, maybe.

09-27-2010, 07:54 AM
If you're looking for a more consistent version of Antonio Cromartie then Patrick Peterson is your guy.

I like this one the best.

AntoinCD
09-27-2010, 07:55 AM
He's kind of like this generations' Charles Woodson, no? A defensive player with offensive ability via the return game?

Also - are his cover skills really as elite as everyone thinks? When was the last time Peterson faced a legit #1 WR?

I remember watching the LSU-PSU bowl game last year and seeing Peterson get burnt by one of PSU's slow WRs. Maybe it was a fluke, but it didn't look good.

How about facing possibly the two best WRs in college football last year in AJ Green and Julio Jones.

I also remember the long TD in the bowl game but something has to be said about the conditions they were playing in. The field was cutting up really badly and in conditions like that the offense always has the advantage because they know where theyre going and don't have to react as much with unsure footing.

Sniper
09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
How about facing possibly the two best WRs in college football last year in AJ Green and Julio Jones.

I also remember the long TD in the bowl game but something has to be said about the conditions they were playing in. The field was cutting up really badly and in conditions like that the offense always has the advantage because they know where theyre going and don't have to react as much with unsure footing.

Something also has to be said for getting burned extra crispy by an average receiver.

AntoinCD
09-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Something also has to be said for getting burned extra crispy by an average receiver.

True. I think at the minute though he is getting by on pure natural athleticism and his technique isn't outstanding. You could also mention the big third down play he gave up against UNC towards the end of the game when he got turned around. By no means is he a perfect prospect but he is the closest in a while.

scpanther22
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
I see him going top 5 to some team like the Panthers or Lions.

murdamal86
10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Like I posted in the other thread

I don't know if i'm the only one that has noticed this but is anyone concerned with Peterson and his health? I've watched him since a freshmen and i've noticed he goes to the locker room A LOT with "cramps" and misses some series here and there.

InmanRoshi
11-12-2010, 04:45 PM
What? The Jets defense last season was built ENTIRELY around Revis. Ryan's exotic pressure schemes were only successful because he was able to leave Revis on and island and not worry about another team's primary receiver. In fact, look at that Jets defense...its entirely unremarkable except for Revis. He's the cog that makes it run. I hate to break it to you, but that defense is built around a cornerback.

Jets still have a Top 3 defense in 2010 with Revis missing most of the year.

And really, NFL offenses today are too spread out and quarterbacks too good at finding their 2nd and 3rd and 4th options for one CB to make much difference. Take the AFC Championship game last year. Revis takes away Reggie Wayne, and Peyton still throws for 377 yards, 3 TDs and puts up 30 on the board throwing to his secondary receivers and tight ends. Personally, I would rather build around an elite pass rusher or defensive lineman.

Anyways, I think Peterson could be great in a zone defense that allows him to play facing the QB and planting and breaking on the ball in front of him, but like many big CBs I question how fluid his hips are and whether he'll be able to flip his hips and turn and run playing press coverage at the line against NFL WRs.