PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams signs with Pittsburgh

BeerBaron
07-29-2010, 05:04 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/flozell-adams-joins-the-steelers/

The prospect of Adams guarding the blindside of Leftwich for at least 4 games has to make you uneasy if you're a Steelers fan. Slow footed Adams pass blocking the blind side of brick footed, catapault throwing motion Leftwich.....yikes.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/flozell-adams-joins-the-steelers/

The prospect of Adams guarding the blindside of Leftwich for at least 4 games has to make you uneasy if you're a Steelers fan. Slow footed Adams pass blocking the blind side of brick footed, catapault throwing motion Leftwich.....yikes.

He's going to be our RT with Willie Colon's Achilles tear, Starks is entrenched as our LT.

I think he can be a solid RT.

Starks - Kemoeatu - Hartwig - Pouncey - Adams

Starks - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Foster - Adams

It'll wind up being something like that.

Shane P. Hallam
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I like the signing with no cap, but a multi-year contract kind of blows. Should be a fine RT.

BeerBaron
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
He's going to be our RT with Willie Colon's Achilles tear, Starks is entrenched as our LT.

I think he can be a solid RT.

Starks - Kemoeatu - Hartwig - Pouncey - Adams

Starks - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Foster - Adams

It'll wind up being something like that.

The article begs to differ, predicting Adams on the left with Starks back to the right.

Whichever it is....Adams is a bit scary blocking for a non-mobile QB. (Romo might not be Vick but he could keep plays alive and survive bad protection a little better than Leftwich can.)

descendency
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
As long as no speed rushers come off the right side, he will be fine.

Rosebud
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
I think the steelers will have a lot of success running the ball this year. The OL should be able to maul teams and Mendenhall is a monster. Alongside a significantly improved D by the return of Troy P I think that they'll be able to limit the damage Leftwich can cause.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Eh, we'll see what happens. I think Adams winds up at RT though, since it wouldn't really be an upgrade or downgrade from Starks at LT, IMO. Both guys struggle against speed rushers.

And if Leftwich does struggle with mobility and it becomes a big issue, there's always Dennis Dixon. He's the anti-Leftwich in that sense.

Mendenhall's gonna have to play really well those 4 games though. IMO the offense will depend on him.

LonghornsLegend
07-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I like the signing. I had been saying for awhile Flo would be a very solid RT or even Guard for a team who needed him. Is he old and passed his prime? Certainly. But he's twice the player Orlando Pace was when he signed with the Bears(anyone have this contract numbers to compare)?

Flozell's only problem was speed rushers, especially the smaller Elvis Dumervil type guys, if he gets his hands on you it's over, and if your running a smash mouth sort of offensive scheme he'll be very effective doing so. Now if their going to spread things out with Big Ben when he's back, it could be some concern, but regardless of how you feel this upgrades their line and I'm pretty sure that was their objective.

My pops is a huge Steeler fan so it'll be interesting to watch him on the right side, but if they stick to the run, especially while Ben is out, I think people will be surprised how solid he'll be on the right side.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I like the signing. I had been saying for awhile Flo would be a very solid RT or even Guard for a team who needed him. Is he old and passed his prime? Certainly. But he's twice the player Orlando Pace was when he signed with the Bears(anyone have this contract numbers to compare)?

Flozell's only problem was speed rushers, especially the smaller Elvis Dumervil type guys, if he gets his hands on you it's over, and if your running a smash mouth sort of offensive scheme he'll be very effective doing so. Now if their going to spread things out with Big Ben when he's back, it could be some concern, but regardless of how you feel this upgrades their line and I'm pretty sure that was their objective.

My pops is a huge Steeler fan so it'll be interesting to watch him on the right side, but if they stick to the run, especially while Ben is out, I think people will be surprised how solid he'll be on the right side.

Pace was set to earn $3.75M this upcoming year, no word yet on how much Adams' contract is worth. I heard he wanted around $4M, but there's no way the Steelers gave him that. At least I don't think there is...

edit: Here's the original contract info for Pace's deal:

The Bears have agreed to a three-year deal, $15 million deal with free agent Orlando Pace, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton. His first-year payout, according to the source, is $6.1 million.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
It's not going to replace Colon, who was probably Pittsburgh's best offensive lineman last year, but I think Adams could function as a passable right tackle in the interim.

Splat
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Pitt was in jam and there really wasn't much else they could do so can't blame them for giving Flo a shot even if I'm not a fan of the tripper.

BeerBaron
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Kinda vague, but another article suggesting that Adams may be on the left side in Pittsburgh:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81960954/article/steelers-agree-to-twoyear-deal-with-freeagent-ot-adams?module=HP_headlines

Pittsburgh coaches are determining the best fit for Adams, according to a source. The Steelers won a Super Bowl with left tackle Max Starks playing on the right side, and it could be the case that Adams, a longtime stalwart at left tackle for the Dallas Cowboys, will be on that side in Pittsburgh.

At least i think that is what they're hinting at.....I hope he's not on the left side, just so I don't have to listen to all my Steeler fan friends ***** all season long, lol

Brent
07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
At least i think that is what they're hinting at.....I hope he's not on the left side, just so I don't have to listen to all my Steeler fan friends ***** all season long, lol
I hope he is on the left side. Maybe Byron will get massacred and they'll put in Dixon who should be starting

BeerBaron
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
I hope he is on the left side. Maybe Byron will get massacred and they'll put in Dixon who should be starting

You and pretty much every Steelers fan I know think that, probably many others too.

I don't get it myself personally....Byron looked decent in limited playing time two seasons ago, but Dixon looked good against a very tough defense when he played last year, and has been in the system longer than Leftwich too.

The only thing I can figure is that the Steelers coaches know something about Dixon that they don't like and won't let on....otherwise he absolutely would be the starting QB.

My other theory is that they don't want to create controversy. Even if Leftwich plays very well, it'll be Ben's job when he gets back. If Dixon were to play well, with the fan base on his side and mostly against Rapelisberger, there would be a major QB controversy.

M.O.T.H.
07-30-2010, 02:14 AM
Hey, he still ate Trent Cole's lunch all day last year. He still has dominant stretches, he should be just fine for another year.

niel89
07-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Good signing. Bottom line this makes their team stronger.

LonghornsLegend
07-30-2010, 06:22 AM
It makes no sense at all Dixon isn't starting really. Dude is a very solid young QB, and getting better, I think he has probably a better chance to win then Leftwich and not only that but if he played very well you have a useful trading piece down the line.

Shane P. Hallam
07-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Steelers are playing it safe by going with Leftwich. He can manage the game, won't make big mistakes. They are playing for 2-2.

Dixon is a bigger risk, but bigger reward. The Steelers are essentially just trying not to go 0-4 here.

Hines
07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I have read, and I could be wrong, that DD doesn't know the offense yet and if he were to play, he'd only have a handful or so plays that he knows to run. Lefy on the other hand knows the playbook.

D-Unit
07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
I would still play him on the left. It's not an easy switch for a guy like Flo, but maybe he'll manage to get through it. Steelers will run a lot anyways. If you don't even let him play where he plays best, then you're really hoping for a miracle.

Shane P. Hallam
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, he is playing on the right side, Starks on left. Should work well.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1691

D-Unit
07-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, he is playing on the right side, Starks on left. Should work well.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1691
I think he got a nice dose of humble pie after being cut by the Cowboys. I can see him having a great year if he uses that as motivation.