PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Injury Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

J-Mike88
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
And other terrible injuries, put em in here.
These are usually the biggest newsmakers of training camp and I hate all torn ACLs even on the Vikings.
These things could ruin a team's season before August ends.

WESTMINSTER, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens starting cornerback Domonique Foxworth tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Thursday's practice and will miss the coming season.

The veteran was hurt Thursday during an informal practice period. Coach John Harbaugh said Friday that Foxworth tore his ACL without being touched.

Foxworth had four interceptions last season.

His injury is another setback for Baltimore's defensive backfield. Fabian Washington and Lardarius Webb are dealing with injuries and safety Ed Reed, who had hip surgery in the offseason, will start the season on the physically unable to perform list.

Brent
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I guess that Walt Harris signing looks better.

PoopSandwich
07-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Can't wait to see what happens in the AFC North... Ravens defense could be falling apart, Bengals offense is looking to be top 5 in the league, Steelers have question marks all around, the Browns have a lot of young guys on offense and defense that no one really knows anything about. I'm thinking this division is really gonna beat the **** out of each other this year.

I'm thinking

1. Ravens - 12-4/13-3 (Depends big time on if Flacco keeps progressing, Boldin stays health, and Ray Rice stays at a top level)
2. Bengals - 11-5/12-4 (Carson Palmer.)
3. Steelers - 7-9/8-8 (Injuries, Holmes is gone, really only 2 deep at receiver, defense is old)
4. Browns - 6-10/7-9 (Delhomme is a huge ?, very inexperienced wide receiving corps, young defense, need run game to stay at the level it ended the season at.)

CC.SD
07-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Depressing thread is depressing.

J-Mike88
07-30-2010, 03:31 PM
i'm not entirely sure this needs it's own thread, but it could've at least had a decent title to start with.
Good point, although the ACL tears definitely grab the eye.

As for the AFC North, I don't see how Cinci isn't the favorite considering what they did last year to Baltimore & Sixburgh and they return all their key guys don't they, plus will have Mauluga back?

Rosebud
07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Can't wait to see what happens in the AFC North... Ravens defense could be falling apart, Bengals offense is looking to be top 5 in the league, Steelers have question marks all around, the Browns have a lot of young guys on offense and defense that no one really knows anything about. I'm thinking this division is really gonna beat the **** out of each other this year.

I'm thinking

1. Ravens - 12-4/13-3 (Depends big time on if Flacco keeps progressing, Boldin stays health, and Ray Rice stays at a top level)
2. Bengals - 11-5/12-4 (Carson Palmer.)
3. Steelers - 7-9/8-8 (Injuries, Holmes is gone, really only 2 deep at receiver, defense is old)
4. Browns - 6-10/7-9 (Delhomme is a huge ?, very inexperienced wide receiving corps, young defense, need run game to stay at the level it ended the season at.)

Wait what? Their D could be top 5, but that offense is a long ways from top 5 unless Carson Palmer suddenly becomes the Carson Palmer of 2006. The running game will be strong with that monstrous OL even though I expect Benson to have a quieter year as he took a lot carries last year. The passing game isn't that good IMO, Chad's chad, TO may be slowing down but he's still going to be a good second receiver, Graham's got tons of talent and when healthy and his head's on straight Bryant is a very talented WR. So the weapons are good enough, but Carson Palmer just hasn't played like a guy who can run a top 5 offense.

Splat
07-30-2010, 03:45 PM
I hate this thread that is all.

M.O.T.H.
07-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Dez Bryant injured his ankle on one of the last plays of practice, just now. Had to be helped off the field by the trainers. Dont know the severity yet. He apparently tried to get up twice and fell both times. hmmm.

Ravens1991
07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
To make matters worse for Baltimore, Jared Gaither was carted off the field w/ a back injury.

BeerBaron
07-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Just to kick the Ravens ass a little more, Jared Gaither carted off the field:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/30/jared-gaither-carted-off-the-field/

Ravens1991
07-30-2010, 04:57 PM
http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/07/30/gaither-cramps-up/

just cramps for Gaither. Nothing serious

yourfavestoner
07-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Dez Bryant injured his ankle on one of the last plays of practice, just now. Had to be helped off the field by the trainers. Dont know the severity yet. He apparently tried to get up twice and fell both times. hmmm.

Sounds like a high ankle sprain.

Damn, that sucks for him, as those can be pretty serious and can linger. He just needs to take two weeks off or so, because those can mess with you all season.

wonderbredd24
07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
The Ravens secondary is so ridiculously thin... Foxworth gone, Ed Reed looking like he's headed for the PUP list... they better hope the LaDarius Webb's of the world develop in a hurry since they decided to use their 1st 2 picks on risky front 7 players.

Unfortunately, since the Browns have yet to demonstrate they can pass, this is almost meaningless from a matchup standpoint.

And while Gaither being hurt would be unfortunate, the Ravens OLine is so retardedly deep, I doubt they miss a beat in his absence, however long that would be

Ravens1991
07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Webb played very well in his time. I just hope we can not start on PUP. Washington is practicing and he is what he is, a nice #2 CB. After that we got a bunch of old guys or really young and unproven guys. I am nervous. But Suggs is lost 20-25 pounds so hopefully that spices our pass rush up.

PoopSandwich
07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Wait what? Their D could be top 5, but that offense is a long ways from top 5 unless Carson Palmer suddenly becomes the Carson Palmer of 2006. The running game will be strong with that monstrous OL even though I expect Benson to have a quieter year as he took a lot carries last year. The passing game isn't that good IMO, Chad's chad, TO may be slowing down but he's still going to be a good second receiver, Graham's got tons of talent and when healthy and his head's on straight Bryant is a very talented WR. So the weapons are good enough, but Carson Palmer just hasn't played like a guy who can run a top 5 offense.

True, but they added Gresham, TO, Antonio Bryant... They're definitely looking to be one of the better offenses in the league.

MetSox17
07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
True, but they added Gresham, TO, Antonio Bryant... They're definitely looking to be one of the better offenses in the league.

Did you just completely ignore Rosebud's post? He acknowledged the fact that they have a **** load of talented skill position players. But what good is that WR corps if no one can get them the ball? Carson Palmer has looked like dog **** the past few seasons, and honestly i don't see that changing either.

PoopSandwich
07-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Did you just completely ignore Rosebud's post? He acknowledged the fact that they have a **** load of talented skill position players. But what good is that WR corps if no one can get them the ball? Carson Palmer has looked like dog **** the past few seasons, and honestly i don't see that changing either.

I should have bolded the end of the post which I was referring to when I said (about Palmer) "True, but they added x y and z. They're looking to be one of the better offenses"

Palmer has been injured on and off the past few years and if the talent around him this year can't get him to put up huge numbers nothing will.

Mr.Regular
07-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Im becoming less and less excited by Baltimore's prospects. This is such a pass first league now that secondary depth is becoming increasingly important. They have none.
I want to like the Bengals, but Im just not a believer in Carson Palmer anymore. If he can play better than he did in 09 though, watch out. That defense is really good. Underrated line, sick LB'ers, and the best duo of corners in the NFL. Plus that running game combined with Gresham and TO has great potential. All boils down to Palmer as I said.

FUNBUNCHER
07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm liking the Bengals as a big sleeper for a deep playoff run in 2010. Quietly, all the pieces have come together for them this offseason.

Palmer is healthy as far as I know, and Gresham, the rookie TE, is the GUY who's going to open up their passing game.

People may not like to think so, but on paper this looks like one of the most complete Bengals team since their SB runs in the 1980s.

Splat
07-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Report: Dez Bryant "likely" has high ankle sprain (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/30/report-dez-bryant-likely-has-high-ankle-sprain/)

Bengals78
07-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Last few years haven't been Carson's fault.
We did dick in terms of getting him any talent. Last year he was money going down the field in the last 2 minutes. In our run oriented offense, his numbers werent gonna be great combined with our starting TE's being Dan Coats and JP Foschi. Oh yeah, our only vertical threat died, so we were left with Chad at WR.
This will be Carson's first year with an intact OLine too.
Ever since 06 we have had some rotating doors at every spot but RG.
05-07 he was putting up great numbers. In 2008 he got hurt only played 4 games. Last year in 100 less attempts than he had in between 05-07, he still had decent numbers in such a run heavy offense.
He is not completely free of blame but to say he has played like **** is wrong. He has been on some God awful teams.

J-Mike88
07-30-2010, 07:07 PM
High ankle sprain for a WR, especially a rookie, can keep a guy out for awhile.
But Bryant hasn't missed any time so he's gonna be fine even if he misses a week or two. Might delay his progress a bit, but they already have an extra pre-season game for him to work out the kinks.

As for some veterans with secure job status, remember there's always a few of them who tend to volunteer for some nagging injuries in these dog days of July, early August. It's not like them missing some 100-degree practices will cost them any paychecks.

I just hope there are no more ACLs to add to this list, even Viking players.
Domonique Foxworth.... poor guy.
I know they've made serious strides in treating these damn injuries over the past 10-15 years, but I wish they could somehow magically cut them down to a 2 months out. Speed up the rehab process.

Bengals78
07-30-2010, 07:09 PM
ACL tears are the worst. You always feel bad whenever you hear about it. No matter how much better they get at fixing them, it still is just so damn long.

LonghornsLegend
07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Dez will be out 4-6 weeks.

Sucks, but he'll be ready in time for week 1 most likely. Won't be starting, as he would of needed a full Training Camp to pull that off, but I'd rather be cautious and get him 100% before rushing him back. I was hoping to get him some valuable reps in pre-season more then anything.

Oh well, no need in acting like injuries weren't going to happen, I expect alot more ,and 4-6 weeks is better then months, or out of the season, for anyone.

J-Mike88
07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5424332
From Calvin Watkins.

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant suffered a right high ankle sprain near the end of Friday's practice, and the team said he will be out 4-6 weeks.

That means Bryant could miss the entire preseason.

The Cowboys' top three picks are injured. Second-round linebacker Sean Lee has been sidelined since Tuesday with a strained quadriceps. Fourth-round safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, who had shoulder surgery in March, has not been cleared to practice yet.

You don't like them to miss," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "We do have an extra week [of training camp], which [Bryant] has taken advantage of, being here and learning all those things. He's actually done real well as far as assignments are concerned."

Splat
07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Jerry Jones suggests Dez Bryant was overworked (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/30/jerry-jones-suggests-dez-bryant-was-overworked/)

M.O.T.H.
07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Dez will be out 4-6 weeks.

Sucks, but he'll be ready in time for week 1 most likely. Won't be starting, as he would of needed a full Training Camp to pull that off, but I'd rather be cautious and get him 100% before rushing him back. I was hoping to get him some valuable reps in pre-season more then anything.

Oh well, no need in acting like injuries weren't going to happen, I expect alot more ,and 4-6 weeks is better then months, or out of the season, for anyone.

Lets hope he's ready...cant assume anything with high ankle sprains. Remember Sam Hurd's nightmare of a high ankle sprain? That **** lingered and ended up ending his season, leading to surgery.

M.O.T.H.
07-30-2010, 08:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5424332
From Calvin Watkins.

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant suffered a right high ankle sprain near the end of Friday's practice, and the team said he will be out 4-6 weeks.

That means Bryant could miss the entire preseason.

The Cowboys' top three picks are injured. Second-round linebacker Sean Lee has been sidelined since Tuesday with a strained quadriceps. Fourth-round safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, who had shoulder surgery in March, has not been cleared to practice yet.

You don't like them to miss," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "We do have an extra week [of training camp], which [Bryant] has taken advantage of, being here and learning all those things. He's actually done real well as far as assignments are concerned."

The ridiculous part is this **** happened last year as well. Half of our sophomores are essentially rookies this year, due to injuries. bleh.

bam bam
07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
The ridiculous part is this **** happened last year as well. Half of our sophomores are essentially rookies this year, due to injuries. bleh.

then quit drafting pu$sies

21ST
07-30-2010, 11:12 PM
then quit drafting pu$sies

bingo thats the problem

Marino13
07-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Pat White isn't injured, but will miss all of training camp and maybe the season with "a serious non-football issue". My guess is he might be dealing with depression since the Miami faithful haven't really embraced him.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-31-2010, 01:50 AM
Pat White isn't injured, but will miss all of training camp and maybe the season with "a serious non-football issue". My guess is he might be dealing with depression since the Miami faithful haven't really embraced him.

Same stuff happened with Limas Sweed last year (he didn't miss camp, though, just randomly went on IR) and we still don't know what it was.

Some people have ventured out to say it could have been some kind of STD, but guys like beat writer Ed Bouchette and Rotoworld say it was probably severe depression, which he supposedly beat.

He changed his number, was looking more confident in the spring, and then tore his achilles.

Bengals78
07-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Same stuff happened with Limas Sweed last year (he didn't miss camp, though, just randomly went on IR) and we still don't know what it was.

Some people have ventured out to say it could have been some kind of STD, but guys like beat writer Ed Bouchette and Rotoworld say it was probably severe depression, which he supposedly beat.

He changed his number, was looking more confident in the spring, and then tore his achilles.

When will you Steelers learn to "Wrap it before you tap it" tsk tsk tsk

;)

J-Mike88
07-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Wow, that's huge. Bizarre.
I'd not really heard any of that yet.
I was wondering why he hadn't taken off in that wildcat as I thought he'd be the perfect guy to take that to a new level.

What's he depressed about that much?
I thought mostly only women get that medically depressed.

"Non-football issue"? Couldn't it, in fact, be a nasty STD or staph-infection, something of that nature instead of just in his head?

From the PBP: White, in his second year out of West Virginia, has taken flak in his one-plus year in the league for not being an NFL-caliber quarterback.

White was 0-for-5 passing last year out of the Wildcat formation, and rushed for 81 yards with a fumble. He had participated fully with the Dolphins during organized team activities and mini-camps in May and June, sharing backup reps with Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpen.

The Dolphins don’t necessarily need White, with Pennington, Thigpen and Chad Henne already in camp, and Ronnie Brown healthy and ready to run the Wildcat offense again.

White got in trouble with his bosses over the summer when he said on Twitter he would rather quit football than switch to another position. White deleted his Twitter account shortly thereafter. He also had a very tense interview with the media during OTAs, giving only brief answers.

Brent
07-31-2010, 09:20 AM
From the PBP
sounds like he's not cut out for the NFL. that's unfortunate.

Brown Leader
07-31-2010, 09:48 AM
That's a terrible blow for a guy like Dez. He needed every single rep he could get. Missing all the training camp reps and pre-season games could sideline him for the majority of the season.

J-Mike88
07-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Update on Pat White.
Sat, July 31, 9 a.m.

David Neal of the Miami Herald reports Dolphins quarterback Pat White was at practice Saturday morning and throwing the football. White missed Friday's practice for unknown reasons.

Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel had reported earlier that according to a league source, the Dolphins backup quarterback could miss the entire regular season with a non-football related issue that is described as serious.

It appears White is ok.

bigbluedefense
07-31-2010, 01:18 PM
I made a bet with a buddy of mine on Pat White during that draft. He predicted that White would be drafted in the 3rd round or earlier.

I was like no way, he's horrible, I wouldn't touch him until the 5th round at earliest.

It blew my mind that the Dolphins spent a 2nd on him. Couldn't believe it. He's never going to amount to anything in the league. He'll be out of the NFL within 2 years.

LonghornsLegend
07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
I made a bet with a buddy of mine on Pat White during that draft. He predicted that White would be drafted in the 3rd round or earlier.

I was like no way, he's horrible, I wouldn't touch him until the 5th round at earliest.

It blew my mind that the Dolphins spent a 2nd on him. Couldn't believe it. He's never going to amount to anything in the league. He'll be out of the NFL within 2 years.

Yea that pick was terrible, people always give Parcells tons of credit but I have no clue what he saw in him and that pick was all Parcells. He's not a return man, not going to be a WR, can't be a QB, there was really no use for him at all.

Splat
07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
DeSean Jackson carted off Eagles practice field (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/31/desean-jackson-carted-off-eagles-practice-field/)

bored of education
07-31-2010, 03:36 PM
harvin as well

M.O.T.H.
07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
harvin as well

Oh this is some BS for M.O.T.H's fantasy team.

Really though, I hope he's alright. Same for Desean.

_____

Desean's doesnt sound that serious...dont know about Percy.

J-Mike88
07-31-2010, 03:48 PM
mortreport: Eagles tell me back injury for DeSean Jackson. Still being evaluated.

Donno
07-31-2010, 03:57 PM
I hate how ESPN keeps saying carted off the field like the person getting injured is leaving the field on a stretcher or something.

M.O.T.H.
07-31-2010, 04:00 PM
I hate how ESPN keeps saying carted off the field like the person getting injured is leaving the field on a stretcher or something.

Yeah...a little over dramatic. They make it sound like everything is season or career threatening.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Teams use their medical carts very often in training camp, just for safety. Being carted off doesn't necessarily mean a terrible injury. Mostly precautionary.

M.O.T.H.
07-31-2010, 04:30 PM
The point is that they intentionally make the title vague...like, Desean Jackson carted off field.

FuzzyGopher
07-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Percy Harvin, walked off the practice field and rode a cart because the medical facility was far away. Sounds like he just got his bell rung, he was signing autographs after practice and he wasn't limping.

LonghornsLegend
07-31-2010, 04:36 PM
It kinda gives you a big reminder of how many injuries usually happen at this time of the year. Lots of guys won't make it through camp.

Also MOTH I think Sean Lee is gonna be back here soon, nothing too major.

And at least our 2nd year players are healthy. Hamlin looks great and is a sleeper to start at safety at some point, and Brewster may hopefully be our RT of the future.

M.O.T.H.
07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
It kinda gives you a big reminder of how many injuries usually happen at this time of the year. Lots of guys won't make it through camp.

Also MOTH I think Sean Lee is gonna be back here soon, nothing too major.

And at least our 2nd year players are healthy. Hamlin looks great and is a sleeper to start at safety at some point, and Brewster may hopefully be our RT of the future.

Yeah...Lee should be good to go soon.

It still sucks that Dez, Lee, AOA, and Lissemore are all banged up right now. 4 out of 6, pretty bad.

LonghornsLegend
07-31-2010, 04:57 PM
That's a terrible blow for a guy like Dez. He needed every single rep he could get. Missing all the training camp reps and pre-season games could sideline him for the majority of the season.

I just caught this, but I don't think it's all that serious. Worst case is he's returning right at week 1 which is the longest point of return, but Dallas does have a bye week in week 4(which sucked when I found out, but all of a sudden makes me happy).

So by the 4th game of the season he shouldn't still have any lingering effects of the injury. It will halt his progress no doubt, but I'd be happy knowing he'd be ready to go for the stretch run full blast.

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/01/broncos-backfield-has-a-morning-to-forget/

Knowshon carted off, unable to put weight on his leg.

Buckhalter hurts his leg, limps off under his own power.

JJ Arrington traded to Philly.

The Broncos lost their top 3 backs within 2 days....can't be good.

CLong4Heisman
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Paging Tim tebow, please report to the running backs meeting immediately.

Scotty D
08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/01/broncos-backfield-has-a-morning-to-forget/

Knowshon carted off, unable to put weight on his leg.

Buckhalter hurts his leg, limps off under his own power.

JJ Arrington traded to Philly.

The Broncos lost their top 3 backs within 2 days....can't be good.

Not to mention they gave up Hillis for Quinn.

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Not to mention they gave up Hillis for Quinn.

They're probably left with just some undrafted rookies then...gotta suck.

PoopSandwich
08-01-2010, 01:51 PM

They should get on the phone with the Browns... we have 5 running backs in camp right now (Harrison, Hardesty, Hillis, Jennings, Davis.)

J-Mike88
08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Paging Tim tebow, please report to the running backs meeting immediately.
Maybe they can get Clinton Portis back.

M.O.T.H.
08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
ugh. Another one of fantasty players goes down in Moreno. My team sucks as it is. Come on now.

And it sounds terrible for Moreno...I've been hearing torn hamstring. :(:(:(:(

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 02:38 PM
ugh. Another one of fantasty players goes down in Moreno. My team sucks as it is. Come on now.

And it sounds terrible for Moreno...I've been hearing torn hamstring. :(:(:(:(

Hopefully Buckhalter is ok and assumes full starter duties......he's a reserve of mine in fantasy.

Job
08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
What's with Denver and RB injuries? Didn't they have like 15 of them on IR two years ago?

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
What's with Denver and RB injuries? Didn't they have like 15 of them on IR two years ago?

I think it was 8...but yeah, I remember that. Maybe there's a cosmic rebalancing going on after so many years of turning scrubs into 1000 yard backs.

Scotty D
08-01-2010, 04:27 PM
http://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/20086889408

Moreno's hammy is not torn.

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Brian Westbrook to the Broncos?

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Brian Westbrook to the Broncos?

Word was he was all set to sign with the Rams, be Jackson's backup and do some 3rd down stuff probably.

Denver is probably a slightly better place to sign if they wanted him, which you have to wonder if they would want an injury prone little back with their entire RB corps getting busted up.

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Hey, there is nothing wrong with Kolby Smith and Toney Baker as our primary running backs. Especially behind an o-line with two rookies. Recipe for certain success right there.

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Word was he was all set to sign with the Rams, be Jackson's backup and do some 3rd down stuff probably.

Denver is probably a slightly better place to sign if they wanted him, which you have to wonder if they would want an injury prone little back with their entire RB corps getting busted up.

If we piece together enough busted up running backs wont that equal one healthy running back?

umphrey
08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
If we piece together enough busted up running backs wont that equal one healthy running back?

Maybe if you send them to Russia for limb transplants

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Hey, there is nothing wrong with Kolby Smith and Toney Baker as our primary running backs. Especially behind an o-line with two rookies. Recipe for certain success right there.

Kolby Smith won me a fantasy league a couple years back. ******* clutch late season waiver pickup he turned out to be :) (playing the Raiders didn't hurt either)

Gribble
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Maybe if you send them to Russia for limb transplants

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/blogmedia/2010/03/mikhail-prokhorov.jpg

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Kolby Smith won me a fantasy league a couple years back. ******* clutch late season waiver pickup he turned out to be :) (playing the Raiders didn't hurt either)

Hey, I really do like Kolby Smith, it is just that he is one abnormally long blade of grass away from a serious injury like the rest of our backs.

Splat
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Kolby Smith can't stay on the field, and has had less then 3 yards a carry the last two years.

Splat
08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/03/jeremy-maclin-carted-off-ending-eagles-practice-early/

On Tuesday, Eagles wideout Jeremy Maclin (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5169) was carted off. His injury ended practice early.

Said receiver Hank Baskett (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3802) of the situation, per Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer: "It killed the mood (http://twitter.com/jeff_mclane)."

Maclin reportedly needed assistance walking from the cart to the locker room.

BeerBaron
08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
If we've learned anything so far, it's that "cart ride" might as well translate to "band-aid" in training camp. I don't know if any of the high profile cart rides have even been serious yet...

phlysac
08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
If we've learned anything so far, it's that "cart ride" might as well translate to "band-aid" in training camp. I don't know if any of the high profile cart rides have even been serious yet...

You never know, really. Alot of times you hear "carted off the field" and learn that the player only had stiffness of a minor ache. Then again, you hear reports like the 49ers gave 2 seasons ago regarding Manny Lawson with the dreaded "jogged off the field under his own power" only to find out the player has a torn ACL and will miss the entire season.

VernonLawson89
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
First Maclin, now Hakeem Nicks gets a Hyperextended knee......

wogitalia
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I know they've made serious strides in treating these damn injuries over the past 10-15 years, but I wish they could somehow magically cut them down to a 2 months out. Speed up the rehab process.

It's amazing that LARS technology is not being used in the NFL and NBA yet. We have been using it over here in the AFL(Aussie Rules) for 3 years now, cuts the duration of an ACL from 9 months to 3 months. It is revolutionary and has not been tested over sustained periods but so far all the guys who have used it in the AFL have had no issues with it.

Basically the majority of the recovery on a traditional knee reconstruction is actually the hamstring or patella tendon that is used to reconstruct the ACL(depending on the type of surgery depends on which one) the ACL itself is fairly good after a couple of months. LARS uses a synthetic material to repair the ACL instead of ripping apart another body part to do it.

I'd be shocked if an NFL player doesn't try it in the next year or so, especially relevant for college seniors with no chance at a red shirt and older players who can't afford the 9 months out.

You heard it here first when it happens ;). I just wish I'd had the extra 5 grand so I could have had it done when I blew out my knee earlier this year, instead I'm up for 9 months rehab... yay!

Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly. The ACL doesn't hurt at all basically, its the ligaments on the side(MCL, PCL and LCL) that hurt like hell if you tear them but are also the minor ones that take far less time to heal.

BeerBaron
08-03-2010, 10:18 PM
You heard it here first when it happens ;). I just wish I'd had the extra 5 grand so I could have had it done when I blew out my knee earlier this year, instead I'm up for 9 months rehab... yay!

I dislocated my knee cap playing ultimate frisbee in March and there was no way I was walking on it after. My knee was just plain dead....not really that painful, didn't hurt much more than a sprain or something like that, but it just couldn't support any weight or bend without help.

Was really scared it was an ACL for a while....the first 3 doctors (ER, family doc who I needed a referral from and ortho surgeon I was referred to) were all pretty sure it was, but after I finally got an MRI with a sports medicine doctor (this is like 2 weeks later...) it was just the knee cap.

******* knee injuries....I think only something involving the spine or internal organs is worse.

Splat
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Ultimate frisbee is awesome that is all...

iowatreat54
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5433972

First Greenway breaks his leg before his rookie season, now Edds tears his ACL before his rookie season. Sad panda. :(

wogitalia
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
******* knee injuries....I think only something involving the spine or internal organs is worse.

Deafness/Blindness would also trump them for sure in my book, not to mention brain damage, which I guess is internal organs.

Could totally see how a knee cap would do it, I was basically hoping for that, once you hear the "pop" there are really only two options and knee cap is just an amazing option compared to ACL...

Timbathia
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly.

Yeah, been there and done that. Mine kept buckling out form under me every time I tried to run - didnt really hurt though. IF there is a God, he absolutely sucks at designing things.

Bengals78
08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, been there and done that. Mine kept buckling out form under me every time I tried to run - didnt really hurt though. IF there is a God, he absolutely sucks at designing things.

That is just entirely untrue

http://www.inewscatcher.com/timages/6636aacffea2ace688b6b572fba2ae50.jpg

bam bam
08-03-2010, 10:41 PM
That is just entirely untrue

http://www.inewscatcher.com/timages/6636aacffea2ace688b6b572fba2ae50.jpg

not that great

wogitalia
08-03-2010, 10:42 PM
First Greenway breaks his leg before his rookie season, now Edds tears his ACL before his rookie season. Sad panda. :(

Iowa is to LBs what Duke is to NBAers?

Bengals78
08-03-2010, 10:42 PM
not that great

Can't tell if serious.....

wogitalia
08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
He may have designed that... unfortunately he also designed the little rat featured man that she is with and thus destroyed what could have been.

He also designed that bikini that is covering her ;)

Bengals78
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
He may have designed that... unfortunately he also designed the little rat featured man that she is with and thus destroyed what could have been.

He also designed that bikini that is covering her ;)

http://igossip.com/photos/FredSmithson_people_80968_09_brooklyn_decker_bodyp ainting_04.jpg

Better?

BeerBaron
08-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Deafness/Blindness would also trump them for sure in my book, not to mention brain damage, which I guess is internal organs.

Could totally see how a knee cap would do it, I was basically hoping for that, once you hear the "pop" there are really only two options and knee cap is just an amazing option compared to ACL...

Ok, deaf/blindness yeah....my mind was more in things that can happen in a sports related activity.

Regardless, knee injuries suck really really really bad. I hope some new way to treat them speeds it up, because the current methods really do all suck and take forever.

BeerBaron
08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
holy ****, i wasn't the only one. people look at me like i'm crazy when i tell them i knocked both of my knee caps out of place in high school.

At once? Cause that would be terrible if they were anything like mine. You'd be in a wheel chair for a while....

Bengals78
08-03-2010, 11:16 PM
In one play as a junior, I dislocated my knee cap and sprained my ankle bad.

J-Mike88
08-03-2010, 11:19 PM
IF there is a God, he absolutely sucks at designing things.
Dude, that's not true.
If you don't do anything crazy, you're 99% most likely not going to tear an ACL.
Look at some of the tackles, hits the knee takes. The tackling, bending a guy over backwards, etc.
We can't have legs like flamingo's.

I think the design is pretty rock-solid. You can walk upright right?
You can't design a leg to absorb some of the things that football creates.

BeerBaron
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I think the design is pretty rock-solid. You can walk upright right?

I can't speak for others, but when I hurt mine, no one was anywhere near me...I was throwing a flick leaning way out to my right and my left knee just popped and gave...

Knees kinda suck with all the things they're asked to do nowadays.

wogitalia
08-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I can't speak for others, but when I hurt mine, no one was anywhere near me...I was throwing a flick leaning way out to my right and my left knee just popped and gave...

And I... faked going right, went to come back left and my knee just kept going right whilst the rest went left, just buckled and collapsed on me. Wasn't anywhere near as painful as the next few days though with it swollen as all hell trying to walk around.

Timbathia
08-04-2010, 12:54 AM

The dude is supposed to be all knowing - if I was that all knowing then I could sure design a knee that wouldnt have 4 ligaments with a high tendency to tear or rupture when loaded. I would also make the meniscus outta something that didnt tear or wear away so easily (so that I didnt have arthritis).

and for every pic of a decent looking girl that y'all can come up with, I can produce pics of a hundred girls that he completely messed up.

BeerBaron
08-04-2010, 01:09 AM
did yours get fixed? my right knee cap is still 'free-floating' though i've spent a lot of time building up the stabilizer muscles to keep it where it's supposed to be.

My cap popped back into place, and is pretty much back to normal now. I do have a bone chip in there that it took with it when it popped out. Was told by the one doctor that if it bothered me, I'd have to have it removed but it doesn't now. It's pretty stable, it just gets sore if I really exert it. It still doesn't like going down stairs, it gets a little wobbly then. I'm hoping that with some more time, that'll go away too.

Splat
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-butler

San Diego Chargers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sdg/) rookie linebacker Donald Butler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24054/) will miss the entire season after sustaining an Achilles’ tendon injury.

phlysac
08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Also... the ACL itself isn't the "painful" part, walking off after a knee injury is very rarely a good sign, I came back and trained 3 times on mine before hurting it again and getting it checked properly. The ACL doesn't hurt at all basically, its the ligaments on the side(MCL, PCL and LCL) that hurt like hell if you tear them but are also the minor ones that take far less time to heal.

I can only imagine it depends on severity. I tore my ACL and meniscus cartilage a few years ago and after about 3 seconds, it hurt so bad that I crawled 7 yards with only my finger tips. The pain subsided but I was unable to put ANY weight on it whatsoever for several days.

BeerBaron
08-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I can only imagine it depends on severity. I tore my ACL and meniscus cartilage a few years ago and after about 3 seconds, it hurt so bad that I crawled 7 yards with only my finger tips. The pain subsided but I was unable to put ANY weight on it whatsoever for several days.

I've heard both sides. I've heard that if your ACL goes, you'll feel like you got shot in the knee and I've heard that some people think it's just a sprain and go a long time before finding out it's torn.

I didn't think mine was an ACL right after it happened since it didn't hurt too too badly. I've seen pro football players writhing on the ground in agony when theirs goes, so mine must not be torn. (Turned out to be right) It just depends a lot on the person and how it's torn I guess.

Job
08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
That goes for most injuries. I broke both of my collarbones, both times while playing hockey. First time I finished my game and waited 3 days before finally going to the hospital because the shoulder was bothering me. Second time I hard a hard time even standing up.

Timbathia
08-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh ****, Doom has just left practice holding his arm closely to his chest, and the word is that McDaniels did not react well when the trainer came out onto the field to update him.

Holding my breath..........

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Oh ****, Doom has just left practice holding his arm closely to his chest, and the word is that McDaniels did not react well when the trainer came out onto the field to update him.

Holding my breath..........
via TWITTER at 6:44 am EST today:

SI_RossTucker This news that Elvis Dumervil might be out for the season with a torn pec is crazy on many levels. Broncos gave him over $43M guaranteed!
about 1 hour ago via web

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 07:46 AM
ProFootballTalk Rumors swirl that Louis Delmas needs surgery to repair groin injury http://is.gd/e4054

about 2 hours ago via API

Scotty D
08-05-2010, 08:49 AM
ProFootballTalk Rumors swirl that Louis Delmas needs surgery to repair groin injury http://is.gd/e4054

about 2 hours ago via API

Great.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/08/report_lions_louis_delmas_migh.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+%28Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com%29

However, a source close to the situation has called those rumors "inaccurate.'' Lions head coach Jim Schwartz is expected to address the situation following today's morning workout.

He tweeted
http://twitter.com/LouisD_26/status/20344955743
my injury is temporary but the lions roar is forever!

Splat
08-05-2010, 08:53 AM

SI_RossTucker This news that Elvis Dumervil might be out for the season with a torn pec is crazy on many levels. Broncos gave him over $43M guaranteed!
about 1 hour ago via web

Man, I really don't want that to be true.

JRTPlaya21
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
ESPN has said 4 months for Dumervil

703SKINS202
08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Damn I feel for you Broncos fans. Dumervil is awesome.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM

about 1 hour ago via web

Unfortunately, Ross was correct, and Broncos fans are screwed.
This is why I made this thread. The biggest news ever to come from training camps are always the big damn injuries that hit a few teams.
Happens every year. Denver is done now. He is their pass rush.

Some teams can handle the loss of one star player, but I think Doom is irreplacable.

And we all know that pass rush is key to good pass defense. More time to throw means bad news for the DBs. See Packers vs Arizona, vs Minnesota last year. And that's with Woodson, Collins all 3 games, and Harris there still for 2 of em. Didn't matter when no pressure on the QB.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey, while we're talking about injuries in here... check this unrelated one out, and that's why he's a golfer.
August 4, 2010
– Robert Allenby will miss the Bridgestone Invitational and the PGA Championship this week after he slipped on his boat while fishing and tore ligaments in his right knee.

Allenby had been gearing up for this week’s World Golf Championship, followed by the final major of the year. He decided to take a weekend fishing trip in the Bahamas, then slipped on a wet spot on his boat and his legs went in different directions.

The Australian figured he hyperextended his knee. Tests revealed a torn ligament, and he had surgery Tuesday. Allenby, who is No. 14 in the world ranking, said doctors told him he should be able to return in time for the FedEx Cup playoffs in three weeks.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 07:33 PM
mortreport Word from @calvinwatkins (espndallas.com) is Marcus Spears had MRI on left knee...saying possible MCL injury.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
49ers linebacker Scott McKillop tears ACL http://tinyurl.com/28fayrb #NFL

M.O.T.H.
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
mortreport Word from @calvinwatkins (espndallas.com) is Marcus Spears had MRI on left knee...saying possible MCL injury.

The guys over at the Dallas site, were throwing out potentially 4-6 weeks or what not. Stephen Bowen is better anyway.

wogitalia
08-05-2010, 07:57 PM

That is almost certainly the meniscus part, I still cant run on mine at the moment due to the meniscus, I first did my knee(ACL, PCL and LCL) and after the PCL and LCL had healed up I went back and trained with no pain at all, then hurt it again and this time took the meniscus with it.

It isn't the ACL that hurts, it's the other ligaments and it is extremely rare that someone manages to do the ACL and not do either an MCL or PCL as well, the really lucky runs manage to damage the meniscus as well. The MCL and LCL are far more load bearing from my knowledge and thus hurt far more.

There have been several athletes that have torn just the ACL and played out the game in differing sports and then they get the scans and the bad news, meanwhile players that tear and MCL or PCL are done as soon as it happens, meniscus is the same.

LonghornsLegend
08-05-2010, 08:24 PM
The guys over at the Dallas site, were throwing out potentially 4-6 weeks or what not. Stephen Bowen is better anyway.

Exactly, Bowen is alot better.

Btw since were on the subject of ACL, MCL, PCL, what did Phillip Rivers suffer when he played in that playoff game?

M.O.T.H.
08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
They dont want to screw with the rotation...so apparently Hatcher will probably fill in. Which is pretty disappointing...but he's having a solid camp too. Bowen is over due for a starting gig, though.

Brent
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
2-14, here we come. **** everyone.
at least you'll get a shot at Locker [looks at 2010 first round results] ...I mean, at least you can get AJ Green [looks at 2010 first round results, again] ...so I hear your alma mater is moving to that PAC 10, that's cool.

49ers linebacker Scott McKillop tears ACL http://tinyurl.com/28fayrb #NFL
good thing we took NaVorro Bowman

Job
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Exactly, Bowen is alot better.

Btw since were on the subject of ACL, MCL, PCL, what did Phillip Rivers suffer when he played in that playoff game?

Torn ACL I believe.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
They dont want to screw with the rotation...so apparently Hatcher will probably fill in. Which is pretty disappointing...but he's having a solid camp too. Bowen is over due for a starting gig, though.
well at the current pace, he might get it soon.... olshansky next to pull something?
stephen bowen is rock-solid though.

hoekd0250
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
about the acl thing you can definatly play on a torn acl. last year i tore my acl in both knees and played the entire season. one on the first drill first day of pads and the second one during the second game of the season. it would sometimes give out and i would fall down with a short pain but was able to get up right away to finish out the play. both times it happened making a cut to chase the ball carrier in the backfield. not sure about the other ligaments but pp can play on a torn acl. and quick ? for anyone whos torn there acl does it still give you problems and feel like it will give out like a year later cause thats the problem with mine.

Monomach
08-05-2010, 11:57 PM
That is almost certainly the meniscus part, I still cant run on mine at the moment due to the meniscus, I first did my knee(ACL, PCL and LCL) and after the PCL and LCL had healed up I went back and trained with no pain at all, then hurt it again and this time took the meniscus with it.

It isn't the ACL that hurts, it's the other ligaments and it is extremely rare that someone manages to do the ACL and not do either an MCL or PCL as well, the really lucky runs manage to damage the meniscus as well. The MCL and LCL are far more load bearing from my knowledge and thus hurt far more.

There have been several athletes that have torn just the ACL and played out the game in differing sports and then they get the scans and the bad news, meanwhile players that tear and MCL or PCL are done as soon as it happens, meniscus is the same.
I tore an ACL on the field in high school and sprained an MCL at the gym earlier this year. I swear the sprained MCL hurt twice as much as the torn ACL.

Brent
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
we'll totally draft like, masoli in the first. so that he can punt.

and it's sad. as much better as i think it will be for CU in the p10, they'll likely spend the next two years losing 10+ games, too. thanks hawkins, you ******* prick.
Keep hope alive he is fired ASAP. As someone who almost attended CU out of HS (out-of-state was too much), I've always wanted to see them do well. Here's to them fairing well in the PAC 10.

wogitalia
08-06-2010, 03:47 AM
for anyone whos torn there acl does it still give you problems and feel like it will give out like a year later cause thats the problem with mine.

Get my reco in a couple of weeks so can't tell you, have a mate who has had 3 and they always feel fine he says but obviously it is always in the back of your mind.

If you haven't had a reconstruction then of course it will feel like that, the ACL is one of the few parts of the body that will not heal naturally over time, it will try and grow back but it wont, it will just sort of fill up space. Seriously though, if you do need a reco, ask about LARS(Ligament Augmentation Reconstructive Surgery) with a specialist and see if they know anything about it. You are back on your feet in a couple of days and if you rehab right will be back in sport in 3 months instead of the usual 3-4 weeks before back on the feet and 9 months rehab and recovery to be back in sport.

I tore an ACL on the field in high school and sprained an MCL at the gym earlier this year. I swear the sprained MCL hurt twice as much as the torn ACL.

Yep... that is the normal. You will really only feel pain in the ACL when you do really unnatural movements and the chances of doing an ACL without one of the MCL or PCL with it are pretty low, but every step you take you will feel an MCL injury and when you straighten your legs and just about anything you do.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
And with the 1st pick in the 2011 Draft, the Broncos select....

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 6, 2010 2:35 PM ET
Let's just end the debate: The Broncos have endured the worst luck thus far in training camp.

Just minutes after we made a post chronicling their troubles, the Denver Post reports that linebacker Jarvis Moss broke his hand. Right guard Chris Kuper and running back LenDale White also left practice with injuries on Friday.

Kuper will miss "some practice time" while Moss should be out at least two weeks following surgery. With Elvis Dumervil gone for 4-6 months, the Broncos need Moss and last year's first-round pick Robert Ayers to step up their pass rushing production.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 02:34 PM
What the hell kind of camp are they running in Denver?

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
What the hell kind of camp are they running in Denver?
Military Mine Detonation?

Mr. Goosemahn
08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
**Adalius Thomas, Aaron Schobel, and Leonard Little cough a little**

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 04:32 PM
**Adalius Thomas, Aaron Schobel, and Leonard Little cough a little**

Even moderate production from any of those guys, 2 of whom have little to no experience in the 3-4, wouldn't even come close to replacing Dum.

He was literally the one player Denver absolutely couldn't afford to lose and still hope to be even slightly competative.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 04:44 PM
to be fair, if we lose clady, we don't win a single game, period. losing doom hurts just as much as losing clady would have.

either way, if adalius thomas had even 'average' left, i somehow think he'd still be a patriot.

Well, losing Clady now would probably result in 0 wins...if you lost him but still had Dum, I think you'd survive with a couple.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
If I could have added any single player to my Packers roster this off-season, it would have been Doom.
Perhaps that's part of the reason why our GM avoids the big priced FA's?

Splat
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
As a Chiefs fan I hate Denver but I would not wish what is going on with them on any team.

Timbathia
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
perhaps this is Josh's solution to the late season fade? If all our good players miss the first half of the season, then they will be fresh when the rest of the league is tiring mid-season. We could still go 8-8, just the reverse of the normal way we get there.

Bengals78
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Marcus Spears out 4-6 weeks
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5441161

Alex Barron also hurt. Out Sunday most likely.

ryno626
08-07-2010, 08:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100808_nick_kaczur_might_be_out_for_the_season

Nick Kaczur might done for the season

Timbathia
08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Decker and Bay Bay both with foot/ankle injuries. This just keeps getting better.

phlysac
08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
49ers OLB Ahmad Brooks is out indefinitely with a lacerated kidney.

prock
08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Wow, that really sucks.

Scotty D
08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
http://community.kdvr.com/_Initial-Report-Broncos-Demaryius-Thomas-aggravates-foot/blog/2536602/96399.html

However, immediately after practice, Fox31’s Josina Anderson learned the early diagnosis on Thomas was an aggravated left foot injury. This is the same left foot that the young prospect out of Georgia Tech suffered a clean fracture on during a three-cone drill in a pre-draft workout and subsequently prevented him from participating in the NFL scouting combine the very next week.

Demaryius Thomas injured his left foot and Eric Decker also left practice with an injury.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Initial-Diagnosis-Broncos-Eric-Decker-suffers-ankle-injury/blog/2536646/96399.html

Fans watched nervously in the stands as Decker had his left shoe removed by head trainer Steve Antonopolous, and had his foot/ankle region evaluated on the sidelines after a goal-line drill.

Those familiar with Decker’s injury history were likely more anxious knowing Decker is in the delicate stages of a comeback from a lisfranc injury to his left foot that prematurely ended his collegiate career last October.

phlysac
08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow, that really sucks.

It could, tremendously. The status of his injury is unknown. It could be minor, and he won't miss any of the regular season, or it could be major, like Garrett Wolfe last season who missed the remainder of the season.

Brooks will be reevaluated in 2 weeks to determine more.

Scotty D
08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/08/lions_louis_delmas_off_pup_bac.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+%28Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com%29
Louis Delmas (groin) and TE Will Heller (back) are off the PUP list and practicing in full pads Monday morning.

Splat
08-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Cowboys' John Phillips out for season with torn ACL (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/09/cowboys-john-phillips-out-for-season-with-torn-acl/)

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
All these injuries coming so soon sucks, you hate to see promising players get hurt before the regular season.

I had very high hopes for Ahmad Brooks who was settling into a pass rushing role at OLB and I saw him breaking out this season with 10+ sacks. Any word on when he can potentially return?

Decker/Thomas both having foot injuries that were re-injured makes me wonder if they were indeed 100%, or just healthy enough to practice. I heard Thomas was starting to turn it up in practice also, but you may as well just sit these guys out until you know they are good to go. Re-injurring these injuries is only going to slow their development.

I am also bummed about John Phillips. He was clearly better then Martellus Bennett at this point and had gotten so much better. It's a position that you won't hardly notice any impact because Martellus can block just as well, and has better downfield talent but he's still more potential then production right now. Just sucks for a player that was clearly working hard and getting better, he was looking like one of our most improved players.

These things happen though so it's better to just expect them and not be surprised.

Babylon
08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Decker and Bay Bay both with foot/ankle injuries. This just keeps getting better.

I didnt have any problem with the Thomas pick but Decker was an injury waiting to happen. To me he went way too early considering the foot injury, sorry to say.

Babylon
08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
All these injuries coming so soon sucks, you hate to see promising players get hurt before the regular season.

I had very high hopes for Ahmad Brooks who was settling into a pass rushing role at OLB and I saw him breaking out this season with 10+ sacks. Any word on when he can potentially return?

Decker/Thomas both having foot injuries that were re-injured makes me wonder if they were indeed 100%, or just healthy enough to practice. I heard Thomas was starting to turn it up in practice also, but you may as well just sit these guys out until you know they are good to go. Re-injurring these injuries is only going to slow their development.

I am also bummed about John Phillips. He was clearly better then Martellus Bennett at this point and had gotten so much better. It's a position that you won't hardly notice any impact because Martellus can block just as well, and has better downfield talent but he's still more potential then production right now. Just sucks for a player that was clearly working hard and getting better, he was looking like one of our most improved players.

These things happen though so it's better to just expect them and not be surprised.

4 preseason games are too many nevermind 5. To me that turf didnt look too swift.

BeerBaron
08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I didnt have any problem with the Thomas pick but Decker was an injury waiting to happen. To me he went way too early considering the foot injury, sorry to say.

I think that in dealing with injuries like that, it's best to "redshirt" the player. Sit him for his rookie year and let him get back to 100%. Much easier said than done, but the guy is worthless to you if you try and force him back too soon and he just keeps reinjuring himself.

descendency
08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
OT/G Nick Kaczur and DE Ty Warren are out with undisclosed but rumored to be serious injuries for the Patriots.

Shiver
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
4 preseason games are too many nevermind 5. To me that turf didnt look too swift.

Roger Goodell is pleased with your observation.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Roger Goodell is pleased with your observation.

The issue isn't that there's too many preseason games. It's whether turning those preseason games into regular season is the proper solution.

Babylon
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I think that in dealing with injuries like that, it's best to "redshirt" the player. Sit him for his rookie year and let him get back to 100%. Much easier said than done, but the guy is worthless to you if you try and force him back too soon and he just keeps reinjuring himself.

I agree but he hadnt played since late last fall you would think that would have been enough time. My point in questioning the pick was of course injury related as he is a real good receiver when healthy. Personally i think Denver would have been better uniting old roomates (Tebow and Riley Cooper) but that may be too much Gator love on one team. Can you picture Cooper with the new Tebow hairdoo, i cant.

Brent
08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
The issue isn't that there's too many preseason games. It's that turning those preseason games into regular season is the proper solution.
Goodell had a line the other day I saw where he said "well, we have the shortest season in professional sports, and there are already 20 games, it just happens that we're looking into to keeping the same amount of games, but making more of them count" or some **** like that.

Clearly, Roger, those preseason games are just like the regular season ones! You just can't choke the same amount of money out of them.

Brent
08-09-2010, 05:02 PM
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/source-heitmann.html#ixzz0w9HeJv00
Starting center Eric Heitmann broke his left fibula during this morning's practice, according to a source with knowledge of the injury. The fibula is the smaller and more slender of the two bones in the lower leg. The 49ers are checking to see if there is any ankle damage associated with the injury. If there isn't, Heitmann is expected to be out from six to eight weeks. Heitmann suffered the injury while pulling into the right flat on a running play.

FuzzyGopher
08-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Goodell had a line the other day I saw where he said "well, we have the shortest season in professional sports, and there are already 20 games, it just happens that we're looking into to keeping the same amount of games, but making more of them count" or some **** like that.

Clearly, Roger, those preseason games are just like the regular season ones! You just can't choke the same amount of money out of them.

I heard an interview with Charlie Casserly and he was saying that Goodell is basically just using the threat of an 18 game season as leverage. All these things we keep hearing about such as rookie wage scale, and 18 game seasons are just bargaining chips that are being used to get the other side to agree on other issues.

Babylon
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I heard an interview with Charlie Casserly and he was saying that Goodell is basically just using the threat of an 18 game season as leverage. All these things we keep hearing about such as rookie wage scale, and 18 game seasons are just bargaining chips that are being used to get the other side to agree on other issues.

I'm going to side with the camp that says there is more money coming in with two more regular season games.

phlysac
08-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Brooks will be evaluated in 2 weeks. They will check for blood in and around the kidney. If the tear was minor it will likely heal on its own and Brooks can resume full-contact shortly after the 2 week window. If the tear is serious (which it doesn't appear to be) he could require surgery and miss significant time. From what I've read and heard from Coach Sing, everyone is optimistic that it is the latter.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/source-heitmann.html#ixzz0w9HeJv00

With Heitmann out 6-8 weeks, the 49ers will likely start the most highly drafted Offensive Line in the history of the NFL.

Joe Staley [28] | Mike Iupati [17] | Davis Baas [33] | Chilo Rachal [39] | Anthony Davis [11]

If only draft position was displayed as ability on the field.

J-Mike88
08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Cincinnati Bengals running back Brian Leonard could be out for quite a while, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Leonard incurred a "significant" foot injury during a Hall of Fame game loss to the Dallas Cowboys and is set to see a specialit to determine if it's more than a spained foot.

Per the report, Leonard could be out as long as the remainder of the preseason or possibly done for the year.

“I’m very concerned," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "He’s a big-time player for us and we have a lot of things built in specifically for him.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2010, 11:53 PM

If you think about it, though, the only real money they're losing out on is parking and concessions. Preseason games cost the same amount as regular season games, and the majority of teams are sold out on a season ticket basis. So even though people may not go, the seats are still bought and paid for.

Don't know if the teams get paid as much for TV rights for preseason (but I assume they are). Plus, the players aren't being paid regular season salary yet, so that's a huge savings they're making.

I really don't see any benefit to a longer season. Way to many cons, hardly any pros.

Sidenote: The Sox/Yanks game yesterday got a 2.6 rating. The HoF game: 7.6.

That is just utterly ridiculous.

Mr.Regular
08-10-2010, 02:07 AM
Football is on the top of the sporting world, and nothing is even close to challenging them. There better not be a lockout. They have such a good thing going, derailing it would be crazy.

But just think of those TV numbers, thats like the equivalent of a MLB spring traning game beating out Packers/Vikings on MNF.

Brent
08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
If you think about it, though, the only real money they're losing out on is parking and concessions. Preseason games cost the same amount as regular season games, and the majority of teams are sold out on a season ticket basis. So even though people may not go, the seats are still bought and paid for.

Don't know if the teams get paid as much for TV rights for preseason (but I assume they are). Plus, the players aren't being paid regular season salary yet, so that's a huge savings they're making.

I really don't see any benefit to a longer season. Way to many cons, hardly any pros.
I don't think preseason games have to be sold out to be on local TV. I have no idea how the revenue for preseason games works, but I imagine that most of it goes to the team. I think they are probably earning less during the preseason but spending less, so it's probably a wash.

Splat
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d819a16d4/article/chargers-lts-dombrowski-richmond-thomas-all-injured?module=HP_headlines

SAN DIEGO -- An injury plague has struck San Diego Chargers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD) left tackles.
Presumptive starter Brandyn Dombrowski (http://www.nfl.com/players/brandyndombrowski/profile?id=DOM229058) missed his second straight practice on Monday, the same day it was announced that current backup Nick Richmond will have arthroscopic knee surgery and miss two weeks.

Veteran tackle Tra Thomas (http://www.nfl.com/players/trathomas/profile?id=THO405547) is out another week (http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d81983cae/article/thomas-knee-surgery-further-weakens-chargers-offensive-line) after having the same procedure last week.

That left guard Tyronne Green (http://www.nfl.com/players/tyronnegreen/profile?id=GRE369907) to work with the first team at left tackle, a position he first assumed on Saturday.

Left tackle Marcus McNeill (http://www.nfl.com/players/marcusmcneill/profile?id=MCN657532) is holding out in a contract dispute (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819687ed/article/chargers-lt-mcneills-reps-begin-discussions-on-longterm-deal).

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
This injury thread is brutal...... Dumervil is the biggest one so far, who's the next biggest injury so far this camp?

For our Packers, 2 starters are out:
All-Rookie Clay Matthews with a hamstring, is out 2-4 weeks estimate.
Safety Atari Bigby had ankle surgery on Friday, will probably miss the first 6 games on the PUP list.
Of course, brother Al Harris is still out with the ACL/MCL and might start the year on PUP and miss 6 weeks. That's 3 of 11 starters on defense already affected. But it's nothing compared to losing Elvis for the year.

My condolences to Bronco fan.... I fricking hate those injuries.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
8/10/2010, 10:13 am

Cleveland Browns starting cornerback Eric Wright has injured his right leg during practice according to the Associated Press.

Wright got hurt during 7-on-7 drills about halfway through the Browns' morning workout Tuesday. He was attended to on the sideline by trainers, who put an ice wrap on Wright's leg. He limped to the team's training facility for further treatment.

Wright's injury appeared to be to his hamstring.

Bengals78
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Cincinnati Bengals running back Brian Leonard could be out for quite a while, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Leonard incurred a "significant" foot injury during a Hall of Fame game loss to the Dallas Cowboys and is set to see a specialit to determine if it's more than a spained foot.

Per the report, Leonard could be out as long as the remainder of the preseason or possibly done for the year.

Im very concerned," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "Hes a big-time player for us and we have a lot of things built in specifically for him.

Early reports were severe but the newer ones have said 4-6 weeks.

LizardState
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Not an apples to apples comparison there, Mr. Commish. Take the finest physical specimen b-ball or MLB players & put them through 16 NFL games in 17 fall/winter weeks in northern outdoor stadiums -- watch how fast they all go on IR.

The schedule is too long as it is. I've been saying for yrs. that teams s/b playing division opponents once vs. twice a season, but the NFL makes bigtime $ pushing those divisional rivalry games which draw the highest TV ratings & are almost always sellouts twice annually. Currently the system advantages those teams dominating their divisions, like Indy in the AFC South, etc. & loser teams take a change of 2-3 new HCs & 5-8 yrs. of drafts to become better or even competitive. The argument stands that the NFL had a lower %age of injury when there was a 12 game season.

Now that Casserly argument sounds close to the truth, the ball of the new CBA negotiation is already in play & Goodell is nothing but a player. He's all about the revenue per game & everyday fans as well as season ticket holders everywhere paying more & more are hating him more each yr.

So far in terms of notable player injuries the Ravens & Broncos with Dumervil are hardest hit. Dallas is running out of TE depth after their #3 TE Philips lost for the yr. injury & #4 Sicko has a concussion after the HoF game, the Bengals are worse with the Leonard injury that's still TBD now. 3 49ers had concussions last weekend including backup TE Delanie Walker, their best ST player, & it looks like they've lost Heitmann whose old body seems further beat up every yr. -- this one could be career-ending if it's serious enough.

LizardState
08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5452020

He's had migraines his whole adult life, IDK if he missed any games at Florida b/c of them though. And WR Sidney Rice has a reported hip injury

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5452020

He's had migraines his whole adult life, IDK if he missed any games at Florida b/c of them though. And WR Sidney Rice has a reported hip injury

I think he missed one game due to migraines while at UF, in his sophomore season.

TBH, migraines are probably the reason why he smoked so damn much. Seems like the problem is getting more persistent now that he can't smoke at all.

Brent
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I think he missed one game due to migraines while at UF, in his sophomore season.

TBH, migraines are probably the reason why he smoked so damn much. Seems like the problem is getting more persistent now that he can't smoke at all.
when the vikings relocate to LA he'll be better

BeerBaron
08-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Eh, I had a friend in college who dealt with frequent migraines and she said smoking made them worse. Great for stomach problems and muscle aches, bad for headaches...

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Eh, I had a friend in college who dealt with frequent migraines and she said smoking made them worse. Great for stomach problems and muscle aches, bad for headaches...

Mmm..depends on the person and what kind of herb it is. If it's chemmed-out, hydroponic herb I could definitely see it making your head hurt.

I got my medical license for migraine (I don't get them often, but they're awful when they do strike), and it's one of the few things that helps. I also cannot tell how many times it has saved me from guesome hangovers (the kind where it hurts to even open your eyes).

Mr.Regular
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I dont see how smoking could help a migraine.
Ive had two in my life, and both resulted in me not being able to keep my balance, see straight, and puking everywhere. Had to be knocked out by percs both times. I wouldn't even have the strength to use a lighter once a migraine struck.
Maybe a headache could be nullified by pot, but a migraine is a different animal.

Job
08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Football is on the top of the sporting world, and nothing is even close to challenging them.

http://www.pronostics.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/comparateur-cotes-football.jpg

But yeah apparently America is the world.

BeerBaron
08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I dont see how smoking could help a migraine.
Ive had two in my life, and both resulted in me not being able to keep my balance, see straight, and puking everywhere. Had to be knocked out by percs both times. I wouldn't even have the strength to use a lighter once a migraine struck.
Maybe a headache could be nullified by pot, but a migraine is a different animal.

Her migraines were bad like yours. She'd see spots, break out in a sweat, lose balance, become super sensitive to light......awful stuff.

Even regular headaches in my own experience haven't been helped much by pot. For pretty much anything else, it's a godsend cure, but it doesn't work as well for headaches in my experience.

Timbathia
08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
methamphetamine's are much more effective for headaches..........so some guy once told me.

Mr.Regular
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Her migraines were bad like yours. She'd see spots, break out in a sweat, lose balance, become super sensitive to light......awful stuff.

Even regular headaches in my own experience haven't been helped much by pot. For pretty much anything else, it's a godsend cure, but it doesn't work as well for headaches in my experience.
I can sympathize. Your vision is definitely the first thing that changes. I remember it being spotty, blurry, and really out of focus for a while before it hit. Then a slight headache, then nauseousness, then the head really starts pounding. By this time you can't really keep your balance, and the vomiting comes. It sucks. I've only had two in my life, so if Percy suffers through these a lot I sympathize with him. There's no way I could function at all, let alone do something athletically with a migraine coming on.
It's completely different than a bad headache which lots of people confuse it with.
Anyway, enough migraine talk.

The Packers have been relatively healthy this year, but CMIII is out a couple weeks. Better not be serious. He may be our most important player this year minus ARod.

Mr.Regular
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.pronostics.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/comparateur-cotes-football.jpg

But yeah apparently America is the world.
I meant as in the North American sports scene, but apparently the NFL dwarfs even the number 2 league (English Premier League) in profit as well.
http://ca.askmen.com/sports/business_200/218b_sports_business.html

BeerBaron
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/bills-may-lose-rookie-receiver-easley-indefinitely/

A 4th round receiver is pushing for your #2 receiver spot.....and then he gets hurt, possibly out for the year.

The Bills are either going to be hilariously bad, or shock the world by going 4-12.

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/bills-may-lose-rookie-receiver-easley-indefinitely/

A 4th round receiver is pushing for your #2 receiver spot.....and then he gets hurt, possibly out for the year.

The Bills are either going to be hilariously bad, or shock the world by going 4-12.

Their talent base is absolutely awful, but I like the Chan Gailey hire.

TACKLE
08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Their talent base is absolutely awful, but I like the Chan Gailey hire.

I don't know. I thought Chan Gailey was a pretty awful hire. I guess we'll see.

BeerBaron
08-10-2010, 07:02 PM
This is coming from a guy who's team hired Mike Martz after being turned down by absolutely everyone else with a pulse, but I thought the Gailey hire was one where they simply got shot down by everyone higher on their list. They pushed hard for Cowher iirc, and when they couldn't get him, they eventually settled on one of his disciples who had failed out of the pros and the college game already....

Job
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I meant as in the North American sports scene, but apparently the NFL dwarfs even the number 2 league (English Premier League) in profit as well.
http://ca.askmen.com/sports/business_200/218b_sports_business.html

Which can be explained by the league having only 20 teams as opposed to 32, a significantly smaller base for ticket sales (62 million people in Great Britain as opposed to 310 million in the States), and much, much bigger competition from other leagues.

SuperMcGee
08-10-2010, 07:26 PM

I don't understand why Easley's injury would prompt you to make a post like this. He was well behind Johnson and Hardy for the role, even though he does have the skill set that allows for him to possibly fill that spot in the future or present, if he were to play well enough.

The injury is unfortunate. I'm not going to say that receiver isn't a problem position for us, because it obviously is. Hopefully Naaman can get more reps and make an impression, now.

BeerBaron
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't understand why Easley's injury would prompt you to make a post like this. He was well behind Johnson and Hardy for the role, even though he does have the skill set that allows for him to possibly fill that spot in the future or present, if he were to play well enough.

The injury is unfortunate. I'm not going to say that receiver isn't a problem position for us, because it obviously is. Hopefully Naaman can get more reps and make an impression, now.

That last part I believe regardless, just seemed like a good time to throw it out since I was already posting about them losing a young player.

And according to the article, he was apparently ahead of Hardy. I've read in other places as well that Hardy isn't doing much to grasp the #2 job.

Shahin
08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
and we've just crossed the line from discussing a possibly legal medical issue to just outright breaking the rules. let's go ahead and stop this discussion now.

keylime_5
08-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Sounds like D'Qwell Jackson suffered a serious injury today at practice. Sounds like it could be a torn pectoral, not good. If true his playing days in Cleveland are likely over. Fortunately the Browns have lots of depth at ILB between Chris Gocong, Eric Barton, David Bowens, Kaluka Maiava, Jason Trusnik, and David Veikune.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds like D'Qwell Jackson suffered a serious injury today at practice. Sounds like it could be a torn pectoral, not good. If true his playing days in Cleveland are likely over. Fortunately the Browns have lots of depth at ILB between Chris Gocong, Eric Barton, David Bowens, Kaluka Maiava, Jason Trusnik, and David Veikune.
That is some decent depth there, but damn, there have been (it seems) more torn pecs the past few years than I can ever remember before.
We lost Cullen Jenkins in 08 to one where he just whiffed trying to sack Brian Griese of all people. He missed, and lost. Of course Elvis Dumervil the same thing last week.

keylime_5
08-10-2010, 08:25 PM
thankfully he didn't tear his pectoral apparently. Still up in the air how seriously he hurt his shoulder.

Splat
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I thought the Gailey hire was one where they simply got shot down by everyone higher on their list. They pushed hard for Cowher and when they couldn't get him, they eventually settled on one of his disciples who had failed out of the pros and the college game already.

He lead Dallas to back to back playoff seasons just wild card and they were one and done both times but I still think failed is to strong a word.

That said I agree with everything else you said. :)

SuperMcGee
08-11-2010, 12:38 AM
That last part I believe regardless, just seemed like a good time to throw it out since I was already posting about them losing a young player.

And according to the article, he was apparently ahead of Hardy. I've read in other places as well that Hardy isn't doing much to grasp the #2 job.

The article says nothing about him being ahead of Hardy. Not that Hardy was way ahead of him. I take back that part, Johnson is the only one kind of separated from the pack, really. But all it says is that Hardy and Jackson are the 2nd team-receivers, which they are. The first team is Evans, Johnson, and Parrish. Easley was muddled in the next group.

LizardState
08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
He lead Dallas to back to back playoff seasons just wild card and they were one and done both times but I still think failed is to strong a word.

That said I agree with everything else you said. :)

Chan Gailey was just a placeholder in Dallas, Jerry wanted Parcells earlier than he got him, but Parcells as usual held out for the max megabucks, like $5M a yr, 2nd highest paid HC in the NFL at the time I think.

One of the biggest migraine triggers is bright lights, especially flashing or strobe lights. Since Percy plays in a dome half his regular season games I wonder if they should get some vision aids for him, like maybe a tinted plexiglass facemask.

Splat
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Chan Gailey was just a placeholder in Dallas, Jerry wanted Parcells earlier than he got him.

Doesn't change the fact that guy took Dallas to the playoffs twice, I'm in no way saying Gailey is a great coach far from it but to say he failed as a HC is a little much.

Brent
08-11-2010, 04:07 PM
two unexcused absences for Kentwan Balmer, he's likely outta here.

I cant believe we took that **** over Kenny Phillips...

GODDAMN YOU MIKE NOLAN!

keylime_5
08-11-2010, 05:28 PM
D'Qwell Jackson out 4-8 weeks with a pectoral injury (the other pectoral, not the one he tore that cost him 10 games last season).

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/cleveland_browns_linebacker_dq_3.html

BeerBaron
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Saints backup RB Lynell Hamilton most likely has a torn ACL and is done for the year....I just picked him up on waivers in our 20 team fantasy league too for depth in case one of my other backups, Buckhalter, is hurt more seriously than believed. Lame.

Splat
08-11-2010, 05:34 PM
This is why I don't have my draft till after preseason.

BeerBaron
08-11-2010, 05:35 PM
This is way I don't have my draft till after preseason.

Yeah well.... Wouldn't have been a real All-Star draft if it wasn't challenging.

J-Mike88
08-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Nothing serious here, but for my fellow Packer fans:

Aug. 10, 2010
Green Bay - The Packers saw LT Chad Clifton and OLB Cyril Obiozor leave the evening practice early.

Coach Mike McCarthy said Clifton became ill following the afternoon meetings. Allen Barbre took the first-team reps as Bryan Bulaga continued to stay at left guard.

Obiozor strained his left calf and will be reevaluated with the other injured players by Dr. Pat McKenzie on Wednesday.

Packers were already missing Clay Matthews and Frank Zombo at OLB.

"Tight ends and outside linebackers, the way we practice and the way they're used schematically and also the importance of those two positions on special teams, it's a challenge, it's a challenge every year," McCarthy said

Splat
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Bryan Bulaga is playing OG? I thought he would man the RT spot.

Mr.Regular
08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Bryan Bulaga is playing OG? I thought he would man the RT spot.
Clifton and Tauscher are the starting tackles for sure if they're healthy.
Bulaga was expected to be the swing tackle/waiting for one of them to get hurt. But we wanted to get him on the field more, so were throwing him into the conversation at LG for the time being.

vidae
08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
and i thought he was on the chiefs...

Me too, considering how tight Pioli and Kirk Ferentz are!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2n1fbl5.jpg

VernonLawson89
08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Crabtree with a neck strain today...

SuperMcGee
08-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Hardy is hurt and UDFA David Nelson is back. He's once again running in the first 4-WR sets. Nothing special, but he seems to be our top option for a big receiver. Easley is in for surgery and Felton Huggins is waived/injured, so we'll see a lot of him on Friday with only 7 healthy receivers, including Evans who will probably only play a series.

I want to see Roosevelt put up some decent numbers through a lot of playing time and hopefully getting to play with our best QB, Levi Brown, against scrubs in the 4th quarter. But I doubt our offense will even function.

Scotty D
08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Harvey Unga on IR

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/bears-place-rb-unga-on-injured-reserve-list.html

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Must be Denver again
Demaryius Thomas has scar tissue in fractured foot

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that rookie wide receiver Demaryius Thomas looked great in both Friday's practice and Saturday's scrimmage until he suffered a setback to the fractured left foot which kept him out of commission for most of the offseason.

Unfortunately, the early word is Thomas tore up some scar tissue from the break. The scar tissue problem off the fractured foot happened to tight end Tony Scheffler a couple years back and he was placed in a boot for a few days.

Thomas seems to be the real deal, maybe a future Pro Bowler. Expectations for this year, however, must be tempered due to the foot injury.

Splat
08-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Denver can't catch a break.

Timbathia
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Denver can't catch a break.

Hey, all these injuries have given us a fantastic opportunity to evaluate a large number of players that will never be good enough to start in the NFL.

phlysac
08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
What in the world is going on in Camp Singletary?

Kentwan Balmer walks out on the team on Monday.

Glen Coffee retires from football on Friday.

What a way to lose a 1st and 3rd round pick

:(

BeerBaron
08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Coffee's story makes me laugh. I read that he quit after getting blown up on a blitz and got yelled at by the coach.

phlysac
08-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Coffee's story makes me laugh. I read that he quit after getting blown up on a blitz and got yelled at by the coach.

Well that's the picture some beat writers are painting. I doubt that "getting yelled at" was his reason. He got yelled at plenty last season as well.

So bizarre.

Brent
08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
If anything that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back

BeerBaron
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
If anything that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back

Probably. I can't imagine any football player, at any level, who's never been yelled at by a coach. Probably something more going on, but I think it's a little silly if he did indeed decide to retire after a scolding.

Matthew Jones
08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Ty Warren is out for the year in New England per ESPN.

BeerBaron
08-13-2010, 05:26 PM

That sucks....they already need a lot of young guys to step it up on defense to stay competative in that division, and now they'll need them all the more.

keylime_5
08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Gerard Warren at DE for New England is not a good fit at all either. The guy has no place in a 3-4. They need Belichick magic for their DLine to be any good this year without Seymour and Warren at ends and only sub-par stopgap guys on the roster to fill in.

BeerBaron
08-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Ron Brace stepping up would be nice. I liked him coming out but from what I've read, he didn't look too good last year.

Matthew Jones
08-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Gerard Warren at DE for New England is not a good fit at all either. The guy has no place in a 3-4. They need Belichick magic for their DLine to be any good this year without Seymour and Warren at ends and only sub-par stopgap guys on the roster to fill in.

Actually, Warren has been constantly praised by the coaching staff throughout training camp and did a really nice job from what I heard in the preseason game as well. He's the one I'm most excited about, and I think he'll play well this year. On the other side, it seems like it'll be Mike Wright as the starter with Damione Lewis rotating in. Wright is a solid player, but probably not meant to be a starter. Lewis will have to be able to produce a little bit. I'm not holding my breath for Ron Brace making an impact this year. Myron Pryor seems to be playing more nose tackle than anything.

yourfavestoner
08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Probably. I can't imagine any football player, at any level, who's never been yelled at by a coach. Probably something more going on, but I think it's a little silly if he did indeed decide to retire after a scolding.

If you don't love the type of work you do, than maybe it's not.

I know we all love football and would love to play sports professionally. But it's often forgotten that it's ultimately a job for these guys. Some people love their jobs, some hate their jobs, and the majority just grind it out for a paycheck. I can't imagine that the dynamic of the NFL is that much different. For all we know, many lose their passion to play as early as college, but they stick with it because they know it's their breadwinner (whether they go pro, or play in order to pay for a further education in another field).

I know that it's a game, and they should be incredibly grateful for getting paid a ton of money for it. But I have a lot of respect for a guy like Coffee, who can be honest with himself and know that he doesn't have what it takes to commit being a professional football player.

J-Mike88
08-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow, ouch.
Maybe they can trade back with Oakland for Seymour, add some veteran leadership.

keylime_5
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Actually, Warren has been constantly praised by the coaching staff throughout training camp and did a really nice job from what I heard in the preseason game as well. He's the one I'm most excited about, and I think he'll play well this year. On the other side, it seems like it'll be Mike Wright as the starter with Damione Lewis rotating in. Wright is a solid player, but probably not meant to be a starter. Lewis will have to be able to produce a little bit. I'm not holding my breath for Ron Brace making an impact this year. Myron Pryor seems to be playing more nose tackle than anything.

well it's good for them if Warren works out with not much else at DE. He's been a gap-shooting 4-3 tackle his whole career and was shipped out of Cleveland when they moved to a 3-4 b/c of this despite having a bad DLine, and wasn't great in Oakland in any kind of 3 man front role. Lewis I think can be a decent rotational guy in any system.

J-Mike88
08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Myron Pryor seems to be playing more nose tackle than anything.
I really liked Myron Pryor coming out last year.... has he done anything?

J-Mike88
08-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Buffalo is on the clock..... Jake Lockner.....

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills running back Fred Jackson will have more tests to determine the severity of a left hand injury that will force the starter to miss at least the remainder of the preseason.

Jackson's agent, Jerome Douglas, told The Associated Press by telephone on Saturday that it's too early to determine whether his client will require surgery on what he referred to as "a bone injury."

Douglas added that depending on what team doctors inform Jackson, it's likely the player will seek a second medical opinion.

"All the diagnostic tests have not been fully performed, but he's going to be out for a little bit," Douglas said, noting that Jackson is scheduled to meet with doctors Saturday.

Jackson was hurt in a 42-17 preseason loss at Washington on Friday night. Following the game, coach Chan Gailey didn't divulge the nature of the injury, and would only say that Jackson will miss Buffalo's final three preseason games.

"We hope to get him back for the first game," Gailey said, referring to Buffalo's regular-season opener against Miami on Sept. 12.

Jackson was hurt during a 7-yard run on Buffalo's second play from scrimmage while being pulled down by the facemask by safety Kareem Moore, who was penalized on the play. Jackson had been using his left hand to stiff-arm Moore, and then landed on the same hand as he fell to the turf.

Jackson did not return. A video on the Bills' website shows Jackson on the sideline wearing a cast on his left hand.

Brent
08-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Jake Lockner
who is that? :D

Scotty D
08-14-2010, 11:47 PM
http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/21203384756
I think RB Ben Tate, the second-round pick from Auburn, is done for the year because of a broken ankle. We'll find out Sunday. 36 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/TomKowalski36/statuses/21200902437
Dizon believed to be out for the season ... waiting for confirmation
He was backing up MLB, not big news but pretty much locks up Caleb Campbell making the team.

BeerBaron
08-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Losing Tate sucks for the Texans.

WMD
08-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Damn, losing Tate for the year freakin sucks. I wanted the Lions to get him and I was hoping he'd do good for the Texans.

As far as losing Dizon for the year.. Eh. I feel sorry for him, but I'd be more upset if we lost someone that actually should've been picked by us. Such a horrible, horrible pick.

Splat
08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Fred Jackson out 4-6 weeks, Marshawn Lynch out 3-4 weeks (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/15/fred-jackson-out-4-6-weeks-marshawn-lynch-out-3-4-weeks/)

Splat
08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Torry Holt's season is over (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/15/torry-holts-season-is-over/)

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Career too for Holt probably. Kinda sad.

umphrey
08-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Any word on Colt McCoy? He left the Packers game with what looked like a right arm/shoulder/rist injury. Speculating, it looked like he hit his right hand on a helmet and maybe bruised or possibly broke his wrist.

descendency
08-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I have no idea why Holt would be placed on IR. If I were him, I'd just retire. He was a longshot to make the roster anyways.

Splat
08-15-2010, 03:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/15/cards-hold-breath-as-larry-fitzgerald-gets-mri/

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that Fitzgerald is undergoing an MRI (http://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/21246691003). The team hopes it's only a slight sprain.

wonderbredd24
08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Any word on Colt McCoy? He left the Packers game with what looked like a right arm/shoulder/rist injury. Speculating, it looked like he hit his right hand on a helmet and maybe bruised or possibly broke his wrist.
Only that Mangini said it was not too serious, but no details other than that yet.

SuperMcGee
08-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Fred Jackson out 4-6 weeks, Marshawn Lynch out 3-4 weeks (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/15/fred-jackson-out-4-6-weeks-marshawn-lynch-out-3-4-weeks/)

Spiller shoooooow. Joique Bell and Chad Simpson don't even seem like they'd be out of place making the roster if there wasn't so much in front of them. If they can impress against tougher defenses in the preseason, one should have a roster spot and the other a hot ticket on the waiver wire. Simpson also offers good special teams value.

Babylon
08-15-2010, 04:46 PM
who is that? :D

Keep it a secret till after the draft.

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Larry Fitzgerald will miss the rest of the preseason with a sprained MCL, but should be back for the reg season opener.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/08/15/fitz-has-mcl-sprain-to-be-conservative/

Could have been a lot worse based on that picture...

prock
08-15-2010, 07:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5466290

Poor guy... If anyone deserves to catch a break, it's him.

BeerBaron
08-15-2010, 07:45 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/15/marc-colombo-takes-a-cart-ride/

Marc Colombo carted off the field with a right knee injury. Given his injury history I wouldn't be too surprised if it were serious. Might make any competition still happening between Free and Barron obsolete since one will have to man the right side most likely....

Splat
08-18-2010, 07:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/more-bad-news-for-the-bills/

With two key members of the Buffalo Bills' offensive backfield (Fred Jackson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4506) and Mashawn Lynch) out for the balance of the preseason if not longer, a key member of the defensive backfield is now injured, too.

Safety Jairus Byrd (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5307), a finalist for NFL defensive rookie of the year in 2009, is out indefinitely (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ghB3rbkHtEouizpGHK-q8iYv2w4gD9HM5T480) after undergoing his third groin surgery in 13 months.

I'm sorry Bills fans I really am.

SuperMcGee
08-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I find some comfort in that our second-string safeties could be a decent starting duo, but Byrd is one of the few things to be excited about. Just a magnificent ballhawk. Wilson can still pull down balls and he'll be entrenched as a starter as long as Byrd is out. He's also much, much better in run support.

M.O.T.H.
08-19-2010, 05:44 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/15/marc-colombo-takes-a-cart-ride/

Marc Colombo carted off the field with a right knee injury. Given his injury history I wouldn't be too surprised if it were serious. Might make any competition still happening between Free and Barron obsolete since one will have to man the right side most likely....

Adding to this...Colombo wil still be out 4-6 weeks.

Barron is out with a sprained ankle.

And now our starting LG, Kyle Kosier, will be out 4-6 weeks.

Probably down two starting lineman to start the season. Joy.

Splat
08-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Shawne Merriman injured, out of Saturday's preseason game (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/19/shawne-merriman-injured-out-of-saturdays-preseason-game/)

boknows34
08-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Cleveland placed P Dave Zastudil (right knee) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Washington placed WR Mike Furrey (concussion) on injured reserve.

Oakland placed QB Charlie Frye (wrist) on injured reserve.

Saints-Tigers
08-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Adding to this...Colombo wil still be out 4-6 weeks.

Barron is out with a sprained ankle.

And now our starting LG, Kyle Kosier, will be out 4-6 weeks.

Probably down two starting lineman to start the season. Joy.

We lost our all pro left tackle to start the season, and won the superbowl. Don't fret yet my friend :D

Splat
08-20-2010, 05:37 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/20/eric-weddle-is-happy-that-antonio-cromartie-is-gone/

In San Diego, the team seems to be enjoying Cromartie's absence.

"Me and Cro had conflicts. That's just the way it was. " safety Eric Weddle (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4223) told the San Diego Union-Tribune. Weddle says Cromartie's absence is, "Refreshing. I can't tell you how nice it is to come to work every day and not have that in the room and just knowing everyone is on the same page, everyone is behind each other."

Even Cromartie's best friend on the team Quentin Jammer (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=594) says his life is a lot easier without so much drama. (Getting drama free (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/02/with-tomlinson-gone-rivers-ready-to-lead-chargers/) seems to be a theme of the Chargers offseason.)

"It's easier for me now," Jammer said. "I tried my best to put out fires, tried to keep the room intact, but it was too much."

Splat
08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Meant to post the above in the TC thread.

B-Dawk
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
i believe it was bbd who called dallas not being able to avoid the injury bug this year

Splat
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Gibril Wilson could be done for the year (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/21/gibril-wilson-could-be-done-for-the-year/)

J-Mike88
08-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Nobody lose any guys in games last night?

My Packers seem to have come out pretty clean. We didn't even play Matthews, Woodson, Barnett, Harris, and I think Hawk.

phlysac
08-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Nobody lose any guys in games last night?

I've read that Russell Okung may miss the season opener because of an ankle injury suffered last night. Kentwan Balmer (knee/ankle) and Kelly Jennings (elbow) were also injured for the Seahawks. MRI's will be conducted on all three players today.

vidae
08-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Maurice Leggett was carted off the field with some kind of neck injury. He was moving his arms and legs but we're not sure how bad it is. Hopefully we find out today.

Babylon
08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I've read that Russell Okung may miss the season opener because of an ankle injury suffered last night. Kentwan Balmer (knee/ankle) and Kelly Jennings (elbow) were also injured for the Seahawks. MRI's will be conducted on all three players today.

Almost zero depth at that tackle position, they were probably going to suffer with a rookie there but now it is pretty much back to the 2009 level.

If Seattle gets off to a slow start where they have a losing record by the mid-season point they should just throw in the towel because those 2 QBs they have sure as hell arent the answer.

BeerBaron
08-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Urlacher and Peppers both suffered injuries that are being considered minor. I haven't heard of any other Bear injuries. Hopefully that keeps up.

M.O.T.H.
08-22-2010, 12:56 PM
We probably lost Sensabaugh for the rest of the preseason.

Brooking is probably done until the season, as well.

21ST
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Kareem Moore out 4-6 weeks