PDA

View Full Version : Make your team's case FOR & AGAINST

J-Mike88
07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Why my Packers will win the Super Bowl this season:

#1- Offense is as good as any in the NFL.
Once the Packers got their OT spots settled last year, they lit up the scoreboard like the 4th of July nighttime skies. They finished the season with a 7-1 2nd half, and then lit up the Cardinals for 45 at Arizona in their one playoff game.
With Rodgers arm, accuracy, and running ability, with deep WRs, a stud TE in Finley, a very consistent and productive Ryan Grant at RB-without all the fumbles of others in our division- and now depth on the OL, this offense shouldn't need to carry a punter on the roster.

#2- Run Defense was tops in the NFL last year in year-1 of the Capers 3-4 system, and now Raji is healthy and the team has added 2 new good DL to the roster.

Why my Packers won't win the Super Bowl this season:
#1- Fact: In 2 games against Minnesota, 1 against Pittsburgh and the playoff loss to Arizona, quarterbacks Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner combined to throw 15 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions against the Packer defense.

Those 3 QBs completed 99 of 138 passes (71.7%) for 1,397 yards and combined for an average passer rating of 140.3. That's 349 yards per game.

Mileage like that is not a fluke.
Can Capers fix it, does he have enough cover ability on the roster to solve it?

#2- Special Teams. Our special teams is terrible, year after year. From terrible kick returners to horrible punt & kick coverage units, to no punter. Even our big legged kicker Mason Crosby has had more than his share of struggles, much like the yips Tom Watson had in his 40's with the short putts.

Now, who else?
I can see cases made for at least a dozen-15 teams.
State your case, but don't forget the reason why it might not happen.

yo123
07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
For-

1. Top to bottom we're one of if not the most talented team in the league. Not a lot of weak spots other than the secondary and a few spots on the O-line.

2. Explosive offense capable of beating you in a lot of ways. On the ground, short passing game with Shiancoe/Harvin, and can also get the big play with Rice/Harvin/AD.

3.Best D-line/Pass rush in the league

4. Brett Favre

Against-

1. Injuries. Sidney Rice, Cedric Griffin, Antoine Winfield and EJ Henderson are all already banged up and we got pretty lucky with the injury bug last year until the very end. It could catch up with us.

2. Safety play. Terrible.

3. Roster is a little older than I'd like it.

4. Brett Favre.

Brent
07-31-2010, 05:23 PM
For: Alex Smith finally comes through
Against: Alex Smith doesnt come through... or Frank Gore gets hurt.

Michigan
07-31-2010, 05:26 PM
For:

Against:
-Offense is too young
-Secondary is awful
-Troubles generating pass rush
-We're the Lions

wonderbredd24
07-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Why are the Browns going to win the Superbowl?
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3951/montypythongod.jpg

Alternative Theory: Strike shortened season where the Browns are the only team that cross the picket lines.

Why aren't the Browns going to win the Superbowl?

We have Jake Delhomme and a bunch of hopefullys and maybes at receivers, so we may be running the single wing to win games again.

wicket
07-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Why the saints will win the SB
1 Drew Brees
2 the rest of the offense
3 our defensive backfield

none of which warrant much explanation

Why the saints wont win the SB
1 our outside linebackers are the worst pair in the entire league
2 Brees is on the cover of Madden
3 Run defense is mediocre at best

hockey619
07-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Giants

For:
Eli quietly had a good year last year despite young recievers and steve smith had the least publicized 100 catch season in history. With the recievers getting another year to adjust and improve, i expect the passing game to be top notch

The injuries that crushed that defense are a thing of the past (minus kenny phillips) and with Rolle coming in it looks like the safety spot may be a little stronger opposite phillips once hes healthy and if he can stay healthy.

We have a potentially killer pass rush. Tuck is great when healthy but that can be an issue at times, Osi if he returns to form, kiwi has shown flashes, and a top pick DE in JPP. personally, the only one i really trust fully is a healthy Tuck and Osi when he wants to, not a big kiwi guy and who knows with JPP. But there if we get the lead and they need to pass and catch up, weve got some guys who can really get after the QB and be beastly.

Against:

The O line, a recent strong point, looked soft running the ball last year. granted, running sweeps and stretch zone plays with jacobs was very stupid to begin with but there wasnt a lot of running room either way. we'll see if they return to form this year.

The middle of the dline, in my opinion our biggest personell (sorry cant spell it) weakness going into the offseason. they were awful last year, bad against the run and non existent against the pass. Idk if Joseph is the answer as hes unproven and even if hes good idk if hes enough to fix that on his own.

The play calling and d coordinator. the play calls for BJ were terrible as a said before, if that crap continues then it will kill a potentially good offense. Then theres the D. Can the pass rush step back up? it wasnt too good last year and this secondary could be very good with a little help. also, will we man up and bumb at the line or play zones? it sounds like zone coverage is in our future and if thats true idk how our corners stack up, in man theyre a very good group but in zone theyre a bit of an unknown quantity.

McBain
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
For

-Shanahan's running game
-veteran QB
-actual talent on the offensive and defensive lines.
-better attitude
-more accountability (hopefully)

Against

-No one has stepped up at reciever
-lack of Chemistry between McNabb and receivers
-transition from 4-3 to 3-4

Seems like the Redskins have the same question every year. Can they overcome their lack of continuity and play like a team? They always have a talented roster.

The big change that's gotten me excited this year more than in years past is the attention paid to the lines coupled with a successful, proven coach and qb.

There's a lot of distance between me and the team and that gap is compounded by the pr machines spinning stories left and right so i think it's difficult as a fan to get the pulse of the team when you're bombarded with so much propaganda in the offseason.

vidae
07-31-2010, 06:39 PM
There is no case FOR the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl.

Against:

- Little to no pass rush
- Can't stop the run
- Receivers drop too many catchable passes
- The defense is bad on all three levels

AkiliSmith
07-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Bengals

For:
- #4 ranked defense returns all starters plus added Dunlap and healthy Antwan Odom
- Added Antonio Bryant, T.O., Jordan Shipley and Jermaine Gresham to passing game
- Carson Palmer healthy

Against:
- Brutal schedule
- Palmer can't stay healthy
- Andre Smith STILL not healthy or practicing. He is the key to improving the rather poor pass protection from 2009 season.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-31-2010, 07:07 PM
For the Baltimore Ravens:
Improved Pass attack
Growth of Joe Flacco
Emergence of Ray Rice
Great o-line play

Against the Baltimore Ravens:
Woeful secondary, our top 3 guys have torn ACL's
some stars are aging on defense(Lewis, Reed, Pryce, Gregg)
Jared Gaither is a bum

BeerBaron
07-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Bears:

For:
- Jay Cutler is the most talented QB the Bears have had..at least in my lifetime.
- Major speedz at the receiver positions
- Cluster of average to above-average TE's, couple well rounded ones too
- Forte and Chester Taylor are excellent backs for a Mike Martz offense
- Urlacher healthy brings more veteran leadership to the defense
- Peppers is a big upgrade at DE over Alex Brown and Ogun
- Young talent on the d-line will hopefully show development in the 2nd year under Marinelli

Against:
- Cutler throws too many picks
- Offense line is absolute horse ****...possibly amongst the worst in the league at run blocking
- Talent is there at receiver, production is not yet...
- Secondary is awful outside of Tillman...safety group has to be amongst the league's worst

tenorx
07-31-2010, 08:04 PM
For:
-We still got the Steel Curtain, our pass rush even improved from league elit with the addion of Worilds + Gibson
-Polamalu is back!
-McFadden is back! *** is back to nickel or dime

Against:
-Even with Troy and Bryant our sec still needs a lot of improvement
-Oline
-Ben suspension
-Holmes trade
-Randle El, Battle blocking the way of Sanders and Brown to prove their worth
-We still need a good FB
-Bruce Arians
-Our Dline is old as hell

J-Mike88
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
For:
-We still got the Steel Curtain, our pass rush even improved from league elit with the addion of Worilds + Gibson
-Polamalu is back!
-McFadden is back! *** is back to nickel or dime

Against:
-Even with Troy and Bryant our sec still needs a lot of improvement
-Oline
-Ben suspension
-Holmes trade
-Randle El, Battle blocking the way of Sanders and Brown to prove their worth
-We still need a good FB
-Bruce Arians
-Our Dline is old as hell

What can you give us for a young DL prospect and a good FB?
Any excess OLB or CB's?

Timbathia
07-31-2010, 11:07 PM
For:
- McDaniels is waaaay smarter than everyone realises
- Orton and the rest of the o-line now understand what Josh's plays actually call for them to do
- The extra depth on defense means we dont fall apart in the second half of the season (for a change)

Against:
- McDaniels is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is
- Our best o-line now includes two rookies
- Our best WR is currently Jabar Gaffney
- Our QB is Kyle Orton

gpngc
08-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Bengals

For:
- #4 ranked defense returns all starters plus added Dunlap and healthy Antwan Odom
- Added Antonio Bryant, T.O., Jordan Shipley and Jermaine Gresham to passing game
- Carson Palmer healthy

Against:
- Brutal schedule
- Palmer can't stay healthy
- Andre Smith STILL not healthy or practicing. He is the key to improving the rather poor pass protection from 2009 season.

They have to be the favorites in the AFCN...

derza222
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Jets

For:

-Potential top 5 defense
-Good offensive line
-Talented pass catchers
-Potentially strong run game
-Good mix of talented young players and hungry vets

Against:

-Young, inconsistent QB
-Running backs could cause running game to fall way short of expectations
-Poor defensive line depth
-Lots of strong personalities and maybe not a tight knit locker room with lots of new players, how will the team respond to adversity?
-Question marks at CB opposite Revis, FS, LG, DE
-Will need to blitz consistently to generate pressure, no player who can get after the QB consistently on their own
-Division looks pretty good on paper

gpngc
08-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Seahawks

For:
90% luck, 5% Leon, 3% Maple Bars, 2% Healthy Hass.

Against:
-Bad pass defense added just a rookie FS.
-Bad offensive line added just a rookie LT.
-Bad defensive line is starting Red Bryant at DEFENSIVE END.

^Wow. The above three true statements completely depressed me.

I was honestly looking forward to week one at home against San Fran and then a nice surprise division title.

In today's NFL you must be able to protect your QB and stop the pass. The Seahawks will likely be average AT BEST in each and on paper are weak on both lines... ugh.

AntoinCD
08-01-2010, 02:25 AM
The Patriots will win the Superbowl because;

-the Patriots offense can still put up points with the best teams in the league
-Tom Brady will be a year further removed from his knee injury
-Randy Moss is fully healthy after playing most of last year with a seperated shoulder
-the defense is full of athletic, young playmakers
-the Red Zone offense, which was a weakness last year, should be virtually unstoppable with some of the weapons added, including 6'6 265 TE Rob Gronkowski who has already shown in camp he is almost uncoverable in those situations
-Bill Belichick is taking a more detailed role in the defense which should improve execution

The Patriots will not win the Superbowl because

-they play in arguably the toughest division and even getting to the playoffs may be a struggle
-the injury to Wes Welker may force him to miss some time, affecting the passing game
-there is no running game to speak of
-Logan Mankins' holdout weakens the offensive line
-there are still major questions about the pass rush

BlindSite
08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
For:
-Matt Moore had the best December of any quarterback outside of Philip Rivers. He's the unquestioned starter and DeAngelo Williams believes he'll take the team deep into the playoffs.
-One of the best offensive lines in the NFL
-Best running back tandem in the NFL
-Most underrated secondary in the NFL

Won't
-Defensive line is in shambles, no starter has been cemented at all but one position
-Davis out for the year
-No receivers outside of Steve Smith have made any impact
-Defensive line issues will cause problems with the pass rush
-Run defense: see above

tenorx
08-01-2010, 04:46 AM
What can you give us for a young DL prospect and a good FB?
Any excess OLB or CB's?

Haha :D Man give us Raji, I have a mancrush on him, you can have Gibbson :D

J-Mike88
08-01-2010, 08:09 AM
For:
- McDaniels is waaaay smarter than everyone realises
I keep meaning to ask this: don't they make a "Z" key on keyboards in Europe, Canada, Australia, and Asia? Is it a LOL organized joke on us Americans?

LonghornsLegend
08-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I just want to say it's a little ridiculous reading about Andre Smith and how his weight is so damn high, knowing he has all the tools to literally be a dominant LT he just isn't even trying.

I hope he's not a bust, but if he doesn't pan out as a RT he'll be considered a huge one. Obviously some of his character concerns weren't overblown, he may not be getting arrested but he hasn't put in any work since he signed that contract.

Michael Oher isn't in another category in terms of raw talent or potential, but he's probably worked 4x as hard and as much as Smith has.

TimD
08-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Jets

For:

-Just like last year, we have talent on both sides of the ball with a coach who knows how to get the best out of his players and take the spotlight off of them, which is a good thing in the NY media.

-We have the potential for each part of the team to improve off of their production from last year with the development of young players and the addition veterans pushing to win the superbowl.

Against:

-Sanchez does not develop forcing the team to be one dimensional again.

-Injuries, especially to the following key players: Shonn Greene, Dustin Keller, OL, Kris Jenkins, Darrelle Revis, Jim Leonhard...

-Vlad the Impaler completely being overwhelmed to the point where we have to turn to Matt Slauson at LG

-FA acquisitions not coming through for us

-Our kicker is Nick Folk.

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I keep meaning to ask this: don't they make a "Z" key on keyboards in Europe, Canada, Australia, and Asia? Is it a LOL organized joke on us Americans?

Yeah, spent too much time here and have changed my spelling to suit. I can even now spell autumn rather than giving up and just calling it fall.

CJSchneider
08-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Why the saints will win the SB
1 Drew Brees
2 the rest of the offense
3 our defensive backfield

none of which warrant much explanation

Why the saints wont win the SB
1 our outside linebackers are the worst pair in the entire league
2 Brees is on the cover of Madden
3 Run defense is mediocre at best

I'll agree with this and add only the fact that as far as "for" goes, we are pretty much the same team we were last year. As far as "against" goes, we failed to address our LB corps and the rest of the NFC South certainly didn't get any easier of a division to be in.

J-Mike88
08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, spent too much time here and have changed my spelling to suit. I can even now spell autumn rather than giving up and just calling it fall.
LOL, that's funny stuff.
Can you even pronounce schedule now like "shed ule"?

Has anyone here made a case for the 49ers?
They're going to surprise a lot of people this year I think. Hopefully not on December 5th though.

bearsfan_51
08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
For:

We have Jay Cutler and Mike Martz

Against:

Timbathia
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
this list needed expansion/contraction.

Apparently some media outlets think we should feel reassured by the fact that our HC and QBs look better in jockeys than any other team in the nfl. Perhaps the Broncos will become a team of *** icons?

marshallb
08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
For:

Against:

Come on now, there are more againsts than that. :p

RaiderNation
08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
For:
-We have 2 "talented" RB's that can hopefully develop this year

-We have a starting caliber QB now

-Defense has shown flashes of being very good if given the freedom to blitz and play zone

Against:
-Very young WR's that need to learn how to catch

-Our run defense has been horrible since 2003

-If things start to go down Al will fire every coach thinking its the right move

Bengals78
08-02-2010, 12:08 AM
For:
Mike Zimmer & His defense
OLine in tact
New weapons galore for Carson
Benson is healthy
Odom is healthy
Hall & Joseph Lockdown INC

Against:
We have a bad history
Injury ridden at times
Safety play
Bob B and not using adjusting at the half

Wild Cards:
Palmer's health
Chad and TO coexisting
Will Bernard Scott get more touches

bigbluedefense
08-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Giants

For:

-Eli Manning
-If healthy, the defense has all the talent in the world to dominate
-Our WR core is young but I think they'll develop into an elite unit this year

Against:
-Aging, overrated oline. Even if we slide Beatty into the lineup, I question whether he currently has the bulk to handle the LT spot. He looks so damn small. That worries me. O'Hara is washed up, as is Seuburt and McKenzie. Diehl is a PB caliber Guard but an average LT. Snee is a beast, but he can't do it alone.

-Health of our RBs. Jacobs always gets hurt, Bradshaw played on 2 broken ankles last year, and Andre Brown is coming off an achilles. Hedgecock is coming off a torn rotator as well, so our run blocking as a whole is questionable.

-Perry Fewell. He has all the talent in the world on defense (if healthy), but he has to use it right. It sounds like he won't. He's running off coverage and a ton of zone. This defense is built for press coverage in a man/zone blitz scheme.

-Kevin Gilbride. That tricky little goose.

-Health, of our dline in particular. Tuck is always getting hurt and is coming off a torn shoulder, Osi is gonna play on a bad hip all season, Canty is coming off a year where he basically missed the entire year from a hammy, Bernard is coming off a torn shoulder, Alford is coming off an ACL, Coffield is 2 years removed from his knee surgery. Basically, our whole dline was hurt last year, including backups. We need guys to stay healthy.

-Linebackers

-Safeties. I like Rolle, but I don't view him as a game changer, and KP's career is probably over. Which means our safeties are average despite all the moves we've made to shore it up.

PoopSandwich
08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
hahahahahahahaha

bam bam
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
The Patriots will win the Superbowl because;

-the Patriots offense can still put up points with the best teams in the league
-Tom Brady will be a year further removed from his knee injury
-Randy Moss is fully healthy after playing most of last year with a seperated shoulder
-the defense is full of athletic, young playmakers
-the Red Zone offense, which was a weakness last year, should be virtually unstoppable with some of the weapons added, including 6'6 265 TE Rob Gronkowski who has already shown in camp he is almost uncoverable in those situations
-Bill Belichick is taking a more detailed role in the defense which should improve execution

The Patriots will not win the Superbowl because

-they play in arguably the toughest division and even getting to the playoffs may be a struggle
-the injury to Wes Welker may force him to miss some time, affecting the passing game
-there is no running game to speak of
-Logan Mankins' holdout weakens the offensive line
-there are still major questions about the pass rush

You also might have to go through this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEmhF9oPMc

J-Mike88
08-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Any Falcon fans here?
If that defense tightens up, I think they have the playmakers to make a nice run.

comahan
08-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Texans.

For: Talent

Against: Theyre the Texans

K Train
08-04-2010, 08:26 AM
why the steelers will win:

After week 4-6, i do expect ben to come back and play out of his mind...getting through those weeks without him might be an uphill battle. I am personally on board with dixon but id be surprised if thats the case.

The defense is going to be lights out, too good of a roster and *** is going back to a NB or a backup and mcfadden and ike are a pretty good duo, especially in a high pressure defense which is what the steelers have. I think timmons, harrison, and woodley all get sack totals in the 10-15 range at least and being smith and troy stay healthy the defense will be sick.

also mike wallace is poised to take over the world and it really is looking like heath miller is going to be playing out wide a lot more often than in the past and he is very underrated, probably the best set of hands for a white guy in the league.

why they wont:

Bruce arians is the first reason...hes not creative enough to support the insertion of dixon into the offense, and mendenhall SHOULD have 5 fantastic run blockers in front of him in starks, kemoeatu, pouncey, (RG) and adams but hes more likely to call plays with 3 TEs and get 2 yards a pop instead.

i would also expect pass blocking to yet again be the major issue...and i think the steelers have to much pride to bench hartwig, who is so terrible it makes me sick

probably gonna have to rely on 2009s rookies more and thats not exactly a good thing (aside from wallace) i hope lewis and burnett are good in the preseason to see some action. (burnett as a nickel and lewis as a rotational CB/FS) but urbik and summers are on the chopping block. Thankfully hood hasnt turned out to be the complete and total failed pick i thought he was, i still dont like him as a 34 end but hes turning into a sensational interior pass rusher which is something we arent really used to seeing

i really think the first 4-6 weeks are going to be an uphill battle for the steelers though and could determine if they are in the conversation for the north. alot of people are down on them at the moment and for good reason but they have a good roster and if the ddefense can be as good as i think it can they will be a competitive team at the end of the year.

Poz51
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
For:
"No body circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills!"
The secondary is one of the best in the league.

Against:
The right front wheel has not signed its contract, the left front wheel has yet to truely be identified, the back wheels are still learning how to gain traction, the wagon itself is in the shop getting over-hauled, and the horses leading the wagon are not exactly stallions, although the reins seem to be in control by someone with a pulse...
Vegas has Buffalo at about 100-1...

DoughBoy
08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
For the tits-

Vince supposedly has improved.

The secondary can't be worse than it was last year.

O-line should be as beastly or beastlier than last year.

Deep DT rotation.

Chris Johnson.

WR core should be atleast middle of the pack.

Against-

Lost some vocal leaders.

unproven talent at DE.

unproven talent at CB (dont think this will be a problem though, McCourty and Verner = sex on a stick)

our QB is bipolar.

our RB has gold teeth.

Linebacker core is going to be brand new outside of Stephen Tulloch.

AHungryWalrus
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Jets

For:

Defense. Solid - Extremely strong in every area but Safety, in my opinion. And that could work out, we'll see with pool.

Offensive talent. If you could measure talent definitively, Jets would probably be a top 3 offensive team on TALENT. Bray-Bray and Santonio are both ridiculous (I'm doing positives for now, bashing comes later), Cotchery is a great number 2 who will be playing # 3, Brad Smith is a good weapon.

Running Game. Greene is so much better than TJ at this point, people who question us letting go of TJ forget that he averaged 3.8 ypc if you take out his one huge game against BUFFALO, and averaged 2.6 YPC in the playoffs. He was good for us, but overrated. LT can still catch, and honestly at this point his running is probably a wash with TJ. Mcknight I expect extremely little from this year. Our O-line is a top 3 running line.

Against:

Youth, immaturity, inconsistency. Sanchez, Santonio, and Braylon. In that order. Sanchez is only entering his second year, who knows what we'll see from him. Santonio needs to keep himself from being an idiot, which will be tough. Bray-Bray needs to hold on to the ball enough to justify throwing it to him when he's open (which is pretty often).

Contract issues. See Revis, Mangold, Harris, Ellis. One of Santonio or Braylon will only end up being here with us this year. We'll see if they can stay mentally strong even once they realize who is the one that will be moved.

D-Line Depth. We have Jenkins, Ellis, Pouha, and Devito that are proven. The rest are question marks. One injury is bad news, and this is the NFL. Something will happen.

Cockiness. I love it, but at the same time, on a team this young, they may simply feel entitled to the playoffs and/or superbowl, which could lead to them getting punched in the mouth by the Ravens. Then we would have to see how they respond.

Sniper
08-04-2010, 10:30 AM
For- We have Brandon Graham and you don't.
Against- We have Kevin Kolb and you don't.

keylime_5
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
why the browns will make the playoffs:

-finished in form last season, winning 4 in a row on the legs of a great running game and a good defense

-joshua cribbs on offense and special teams

-one of the best STs units in the league

-solid offensive and defensive lines

-improved at QB and TE position over last year as well as at the CB position

why the browns won't make the playoffs:

-extremely tough division

-Delhomme isn't that good of a QB even if he bounces back from a career worst year

-untalented, young WR corps

-safeties aren't that great

-we're the browns

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Colts

For
- We are always in the mix
- 6'5 QB with a laser rocket arm
-Joe Addai is in a contract year
- Bob sanders?
- Garcon will be in his 3rd year

Against
-O line sucks
- D line in the middle sucks, the outside is aged
- CB depth sucks

bigbluedefense
08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Colts

For
- We are always in the mix
- 6'5 QB with a laser rocket arm
-Joe Addai is in a contract year
- Bob sanders?
- Garcon will be in his 3rd year

Against
-O line sucks
- D line in the middle sucks, the outside is aged
- CB depth sucks

How's Fili Moali looking? I liked him a lot coming out. I thought he was more of a 3-4 DE though.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
For the Lions making the playoffs

Stafford taking a huge step
Beastly Best,Calvin,Burleson,Scheffler,Pettigrew,Kevin Smith combo
Much improved front four masking the back 7
Better Special Teams
Consistent improved Oline with the addition of Sims and year 2 under Linehan
Good improved coaching with Schwartz,Linehan and company

Against the Lions making the playoffs

**** you we are making the playoffs. Don't doubt the Detroit Lions no matter what history says. History is bull ****

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
How's Fili Moali looking? I liked him a lot coming out. I thought he was more of a 3-4 DE though.

Mostly thumbs down. Theres really nowhere to go but up for him.

bigbluedefense
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Mostly thumbs down. Theres really nowhere to go but up for him.

Ouch. What's the problem? Effort? Technique? Speed? Strength?

georgiafan
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Falcons

+ With back to back winning seaons and many returning starters are now a proven team. The head coach, OC, DC are in year 3.

+ Michael Turner has lost 25 lbs and is suppose to be in the same shape he was 2 years ago. They are also good depth with Jason Snieling (872 total yds last year) and Norwood. When they made the playoffs it was in large part because of the running game.

+ Ryan is entering his 3rd year in the NFL with the same offense and has plenty of weapons in the passing game. Roddy White and Tony Gonzlez are still playing at a pro bowl level while Michael Jenking and Harry Douglos are solid role players.

Weakness

- While the def talent has got better its still not elite and they have lots to prove.

- They finished 26th in sacks last year and didn't bring in any new DE's. Abe must bounce back from 15 sacks to 6. Alot of pressure 2 young DE's to take there game to the next level.

- Can Matt Ryan take his game to the next level after a sophmore slump? The defense isnt going to be elite he is gonna have to win some games agianst the elite QB's

prock
08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Vikings

For:
Brett Favre comes back.
Our overrated offensive line plays well.
Our safeties play competently.
We have one of the most talented rosters in the league.
Cedric Griffin comes back 100%.
If Favre retires, T-Var has improved from 2 years ago.
We aren't due for another testicle-smashing loss for another 10 years or so.
Adrian Peterson holds onto the football.

Against:
Brett Favre retires.
Tavaris Jackson plays like Tavaris Jackson.
Brad Childress is an awful coach on Sundays.
The offensive line plays awful, which is very likely.
Cedric Griffin, Sidney Rice, and EJ Henderson don't recover fully.
Adrian Peterson drops the football.

BeerBaron
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Vikings

For:
Our overrated offensive line plays well.

Ya know, I keep seeing this from Vikings fans and non-fans alike. It may not be an elite unit, but I don't really know who makes it out to be like that. I'd say they are definitely an above average unit and maybe one of the best run-blocking units in the league.

Dam8610
08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
For:

1) They won't be fooled again. If the Colts learned anything from losing Super Bowl XLIV, I'm sure it was to be ready for anything. This includes having injured players ready for the 2nd half kickoff even if the other unit is supposed to take the field first, and being aware that the other team might just be so desperate for some form of momentum that they're willing to try an onside kick to open the half.

2) Improvement from within. How does a team that won 16 games and very nearly a championship become better? By "adding" a former Defensive Player of the Year (Bob Sanders) and their #2 WR from the beginning of last season (Anthony Gonzalez), as well as the continued development and improvement of young contributors from last season, such as Pierre Garçon, Austin Collie, Jerraud Powers, Jacob Lacey, Donald Brown, et al.

3) Joker's Wild. The Colts have experimented with a package over the past couple of seasons that features a "Joker" role. This involves a DE essentially dropping back into LB position with a 3 man front, then usually blitzing from different/unexpected angles. This year, the Colts decided to invest heavily in this role, adding DE Jerry Hughes with their 1st round pick. Hughes should not only bring a much needed upgrade to the pass rushing ability of the "Joker", but also give a much needed 3rd pass rusher who can spell Pro Bowlers Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis in case of injury or fatigue without the defense experiencing a huge dropoff in pass rush ability.

4) Captain Comeback and the 4 time MVP. Save the best reason for last, right? Of course, both of those are allusions to Peyton Manning, who led an NFL record 7 4th quarter comebacks and won an NFL record 4th MVP last season. The comebacks show that the Colts not only have the talent to win, but the expectation that they will, and the will and desire to make it happen, despite at times incredible odds against them. And of course we all know that if the Colts are going to extend their NFL record streak of 12+ win seasons to 8, Peyton Manning is going to put up yet another MVP caliber season to help make it happen.

Against:

1) The injury bug strikes again. Injuries have hit the Colts hard the past couple of seasons. Bob Sanders, Anthony Gonzalez, and Kelvin Hayden were all fairly regular scratches last season, and all three are players into which the Colts have heavily invested resources. The season before that, regulars such as Gary Brackett, Jeff Saturday, Tony Ugoh and Marlin Jackson also missed a lot of time, as well as the aforementioned three. If injuries strike the Colts hard again, they'll find it a lot tougher to make a run.

2) Yet another bad bounce. The Colts have had some of the most bizarre things happen to them in the postseason that have cut some great teams short of what they might have been capable of. In 2005, Nick Harper got tripped up by an arm tackle on what otherwise would have been a sure fumble return TD, and Mike Vanderjagt kicked a ball into Ohio. In 2008, Mike Scifres decided to have the greatest game a punter has ever had, which ended up being the only reason the Chargers didn't get shut out in the game. Last year, Hank Baskett drops an onside kick, the Saints recover, and Freeney wasn't ready to take the field until the Saints had taken the lead. It could happen again.

3) In division competition? The current Texans have become to the Colts what the Jaguars were from 2004-2007: the team that was perenially on the cusp of overtaking the Colts, but ultimately self destructed at the last moment. Can they take the next step? What about the Titans? Can Vince Young fulfill even some of the promise they saw in him when they drafted him 3rd overall in 2006? If they can, it might cause some problems for the Colts.

4) They can't run the ball. Seriously, this doesn't need more explanation, they just can't run the ball. The offensive line is terrible at run blocking and the best solution to this point is to try different combinations of the same players who haven't gotten the job done.

yo123
08-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Ya know, I keep seeing this from Vikings fans and non-fans alike. It may not be an elite unit, but I don't really know who makes it out to be like that. I'd say they are definitely an above average unit and maybe one of the best run-blocking units in the league.

A couple years ago yes. Last year the run blocking was abysmal.

FlyingElvis
08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
New England Patriots

For:

Coaching. Love him or hate him, Belichick is a great coach. Slap the "underdog" label on his team and he seems to somehow get even better. All the "End of The Dynasty" talk, loss of defensive leaders, and hype for other AFC East teams as "the team to beat" can only help motivate the 2010 Patriots. Thanks for that, media!

Quarterbacking. One year further along in his recovery, Brady should be back to form. Moss is in a contract year and the team looks to have more legitimate receiving threats this year than last with the addition of two young TEs and the maturation of two young WRs. Did I already mention Moss is in a contract year?

Youth on defense. The D is full of young talent that should be improving with each passing day. This is a unit that ranked well last year but wasn't great in any category. There should be an increased level of comfort at each spot; hopefully translating to more instinctive playmaking.

Against:

Aged O-line. This offensive line is old across the board. Vollmer is a definite bright (and young) spot, but the only other guy not long past his prime is Logan Mankins, who is spending his time sounding off like an idiot.

The Competition. The Jets are a strong team and the Dolphins look to have improved more than any other team in the division. Securing the division title could be more difficult this year than any year in the last decade. Even with another division title, there are always other strong AFC contenders like the Colts, Ravens, Steelers and Chargers to deal with in the tournament.

Youth on defense. The D is full of young talent that should be improving with each passing day. Until they prove they're better, however, this unit could be a liability. If we continue to see disastrous games like those against the Saints and Ravens last year it could be a long season.

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Watch out for the Chiefs?
If not this year, then next year.
They should be much improved.
We saw what Jammal Charles can do last year the final 8 games.
We know what Thomas Jones can do.
Add Eric Mayor Berry and Dexter McLuster, and you have some playmakers.
Do they wish they had Tony Gonzalez and Jared Allen back?
Who do they have from those 2 trades?

Good camp report from Don Banks here in Kansas City.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/08/08/chiefs.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp

BeerBaron
08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Watch out for the Chiefs?

Do they wish they had Tony Gonzalez and Jared Allen back?
Who do they have from those 2 trades?
[/url]

Brandon Albert and Javier Arenas I believe.