PDA

View Full Version : Darrelle revis is officially holding out

scpanther22
08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Breaking: Darrelle revis is officially holding out, per source
http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/20086858634

BeerBaron
08-01-2010, 05:56 PM
This is an instance where they really should just pay the man and get it over with. He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid DB in the league and I don't think it's even a question really.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/20086858634

Excellent! We could only have hoped for this to happen!

- Producer of Hardknocks

scpanther22
08-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Darrelle Revis' agent tells ESPNNewYork that Revis won't report to camp until he gets a new deal
http://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/20096990215

FUNBUNCHER
08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
ADVANTAGE: Revis.

Giantsfan1080
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Rex Ryan sort of did this to himself. He blabbed all season long how Revis was the best CB in the world and now they won't pony up the cash. I'm not saying Ryan was wrong but it might have been a little more prudent to just let Revis do the talking on the field.

Bucs_Rule
08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
He wants too much. Nnamdi Asomugha contract was massive. Revis wants more than that.

He also has 2-3 years left on a deal for little money. When teams do extension in those situations, the money per season is lower than if he were franchised or contract was about to expire.

The Jets also have Mangold and Harris who's deals are up this coming season.

The CBA is going to change and its unknown what it would be like, will it include a cap? What would that be? If it doesn't, what would the owner set the team's at?

The real question is, will Revis hold out of games? That is turning down money and it would piss off other players. Some players skip training camp, few skip games.

Scotty D
08-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I remember that the Jets gave him a nice deal when he signed as a rookie.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-show-revis-money

"it should be noted that, if the Asomugha extension raised a few eyebrows, then Revis' rookie contract did the same. As the No. 14 overall pick in the 2007 draft, Revis received a contract in which the guaranteed money could escalate from nearly $10.5 million up to $22.5 million, and even as much as $26.5 million. "

The Jets reserve the right to buy back those years by paying a $100 buyback bonus and guaranteeing Revis' 2011 and 2012 salaries at $15.7 million, with another $4 million of possible salary escalation in 2012 based on Revis' performance. Another interesting aspect of this structure is that, in the event of Revis voiding the final two years, the Jets are prevented from franchising Revis instead of buying back 2011 and 2012.

wogitalia
08-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Greedy... ridiculous really.

I honestly hope that the players get what is coming in the new CBA, Revis, you signed the contract, how about being honourable as a human, I really want to like you as a player but you are making it hard.

steelersfan43
08-02-2010, 03:28 AM

I honestly hope that the players get what is coming in the new CBA, Revis, you signed the contract, how about being honourable as a human, I really want to like you as a player but you are making it hard.

Its prob his agent encouraging him to not show up for camp, cause thats the only way to get the message across to teams.

If teams can cut a player when he does bad, then its only fair that he gets a better contract when he does exceptionally well.

jayceheathman
08-02-2010, 03:37 AM
If he didnt like his contract then he shouldnt have signed it.

steelersfan43
08-02-2010, 04:12 AM
If he didnt like his contract then he shouldnt have signed it.
Shouldnt the same go for teams who cut players? They're not honoring the contract, and being cut as a player is much worse then a star player asking for more money.

Forenci
08-02-2010, 04:17 AM

Is it really that greedy? I mean as sports fan we're all die hard and if we were in that situation we might do things differently but of course none of us have the insane ability and talent that Revis has.

He's one slip away in non-contact drills from tearing his ACL and never seeing the type of money he has coming.

Not to mention he is insanely important to the Jets. Obviously in Ryan's system they blitz the house and having a guy who can cover on an island is essential, and Revis can do just that. Plus he's versatile to no end. Press, man, zone coverage are all things he excels at.

The only thing I'd say in warning of giving him a MASSIVE contract is that it seems as if these days elite corners typically don't maintain dominance for very long. Champ Bailey was probably one of the few corners in recent years to be dominate for sustained period.

Saints-Tigers
08-02-2010, 04:18 AM
PRobably wants to be the highest paid defensive player ever.

Ness
08-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Is it really that greedy? I mean as sports fan we're all die hard and if we were in that situation we might do things differently but of course none of us have the insane ability and talent that Revis has.

He's one slip away in non-contact drills from tearing his ACL and never seeing the type of money he has coming.

Not to mention he is insanely important to the Jets. Obviously in Ryan's system they blitz the house and having a guy who can cover on an island is essential, and Revis can do just that. Plus he's versatile to no end. Press, man, zone coverage are all things he excels at.

The only thing I'd say in warning of giving him a MASSIVE contract is that it seems as if these days elite corners typically don't maintain dominance for very long. Champ Bailey was probably one of the few corners in recent years to be dominate for sustained period.
It won't work. If Revis gets a huge contract, I doubt he lives up to it. His play is going to have to depend a lot of the Jets front seven. If any of that falters in seasons proceeding forward, that's an automatic disadvantage. Doesn't really matter anyways. The team isn't going to budge. And I bet the Jets win games without his services. Not saying he isn't important, but in the grand scheme of things I think the Jets offense is going to make our break them. If Revis is trying to get market value, I understand. But doesn't he have a few years left on his contract? Close to three maybe? Perhaps he realizes this is the best time to demand an extension since he's coming off of a good year and he's in his prime. However, if he's also trying to do something ridiculous like be the highest paid player in the NFL, then he's just digging himself a hole.

BlindSite
08-02-2010, 05:10 AM
I wonder how high they can even sign him with the 30% issues without a CBA, he's better of just waiting.

descendency
08-02-2010, 05:14 AM
I wonder how high they can even sign him with the 30% issues without a CBA, he's better of just waiting.

There are ways to get around it. Signing bonuses. NLTBE Bonuses, etc.

killxswitch
08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Now that he's missed some camp the $20M guaranteed in the next two years of his contract are now gone.

I hate this part of football. I hope the next CBA isn't so difficult to deal with.

yourfavestoner
08-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Get your money kid!

thenewfeature06
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Darrelle not sure if your entirely better than Aso but he will no doubt be making more than you due to the madness of Al Davis

Splat
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
"Show him the money!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc

Kurve
08-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I personaly think jets are holding back mainly because for them to shell that kind of money out id like to see one more year of that kind of production before you pay him top Defense dollars. Aso had to play 3 - 4 years at that level before he got his payday.

CC.SD
08-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't worry they still have Cromartie

Splat
08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Don't worry they still have Cromartie.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxNiMwf4s0o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxNiMwf4s0o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Monomach
08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I wish the NFL had guaranteed contracts. Then players wouldn't feel the need to get a new one every two years.

Seriously, how is a contract even a contract if only one side is legally required to abide by it?

LonghornsLegend
08-02-2010, 05:59 PM

GTFO here with this man, this argument is so stupid. So Chris Johnson should just shut up and play too huh since he signed a contract? These guys aren't even making a million dollars, and one serious injury to an ACL and they will never get that type of security again.

If a guy signs a big contract and sucks, he can be cut at anytime the team so chooses so, even though he may of signed a 5 or 6 year deal, yet somehow if a player out plays that deal he needs to be "honorable as a human being"? That **** makes no sense at all.

It goes both ways, if you sign a 7th round pick for 4 years, and he makes the pro bowl his first 2 or 3 years, he needs to just shut up and play that out though huh? Even though midway through his 4th season he could tear an ACL, and when he returns his contract would be 10x smaller then what it would have if he had held out.

This is a business, I would people would stop being so mindless when it comes to these issues. Owners/teams can cut players at anytime they want for under performing, and players can ask for raises or hold out when they have out performed the contract, people need to stop acting like players are less then a human being for asking for what they deserve.

Considering what he's making, and what he's worth, he is absolutely doing the right thing by holding out.

P-L
08-02-2010, 06:23 PM
No one has a gun to these players heads forcing them to sign four, five, or six-year deals. They all want the big money that they don't deserve right out of college, but when they get towards the end of the long deal that they themselves demanded they need a raise? Sorry, I don't feel bad for these players. What was preventing Revis from signing a three-year rookie deal? Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous that NFL teams don't have to honor the contracts they agreed upon, but two wrongs don't make a right.

descendency
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
My prediction is 5 years, 85 million with 42 million guaranteed.

LonghornsLegend
08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
When is the last time you ever heard of a 1st round pick signing a 3 year deal? I'm pretty sure there is something in place preventing this from happening, and what team would be fine with giving that type of deal? Since I've started watching football I can't recall a single 1st round pick getting a 3 year deal, and if there was a guy or 2 I'd sure love to know who it was.

08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Best player in the game.

Now pay the man.

AHungryWalrus
08-02-2010, 06:32 PM
No one has a gun to these players heads forcing them to sign four, five, or six-year deals. They all want the big money that they don't deserve right out of college, but when they get towards the end of the long deal that they themselves demanded they need a raise? Sorry, I don't feel bad for these players. What was preventing Revis from signing a three-year rookie deal? Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous that NFL teams don't have to honor the contracts they agreed upon, but two wrongs don't make a right.

NFL teams have to honor the contracts they sign. Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. That's part of the sticking point here. Revis wants pretty much all of it guaranteed, and a LOT of money upfront. Which the Jets don't really want to do. Even in their negotiations with D-Brick, they flat out said they weren't giving him a lot of money up front right now.

If NFL teams were not honoring contracts, there would be lawsuits all over the place.

Monomach
08-02-2010, 06:53 PM

I'd never pay a DB that much.

I mean, not unless he was superman and could cover receivers on opposite sides of the field at once.

AHungryWalrus
08-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Depending on how easily attainable the non guaranteed is, I would say that's a minimum. Seeing as Nnamdi's contract is fully guaranteed for 15 per (assuming they keep him for the third year), Revis is going to have a tough time accepting any less than an average of 10 million guaranteed per year, because he wants MORE than Nnamdi.

He's already been offered 100 million, just non-guaranteed. Which is the sticking point.

descendency
08-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Depending on how easily attainable the non guaranteed is, I would say that's a minimum. Seeing as Nnamdi's contract is fully guaranteed for 15 per (assuming they keep him for the third year), Revis is going to have a tough time accepting any less than an average of 10 million guaranteed per year, because he wants MORE than Nnamdi.

He's already been offered 100 million, just non-guaranteed. Which is the sticking point.

For a 5 year contract, that's QB money. It's 17 million a year. I think the jets would be willing to do a deal that averages 17 million a year if they could get a long enough deal (to allow them to cut him when he isn't worth the money anymore). I seriously doubt they will guarantee him enough money to make that happen though.

The Jets would normally have the leverage in the debate because he's signed for the next 3 years, but he's the best player on the jets team and without him, the defense just isn't that good. You can't blitz that much without an elite #1 CB.

AHungryWalrus
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh, I'm not debating what I *think* he deserves. This is just why he won't sign. I honestly think the Jets should throw him maybe an extra 3 million for this year, and let him play at least another 2.

He held out for this deal, I don't think he deserves a different one with three years left.

jayceheathman
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Shouldnt the same go for teams who cut players? They're not honoring the contract, and being cut as a player is much worse then a star player asking for more money.

I dont think so because the player knows the terms of the contract and that is that the team can release the player and not pay their non guaranteed money. You never see players that suck that willingly hand over a portion of their money back to the team for not playing well.

goodlookin
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
this is my problem with the whole situation....revis only wants to the highest paid CB. He doesnt necessarily want top money but the top money. Dudes been one the top CB's for a year. big ******* deal. You dont see brady, brees and manning all looking to one up each other by a dollar. Andre Johnson has earned his money and ability to renegotiate....Revis, not so much

Shahin
08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
this is my problem with the whole situation....revis only wants to the highest paid CB. He doesnt necessarily want top money but the top money. Dudes been one the top CB's for a year. big ******* deal. You dont see brady, brees and manning all looking to one up each other by a dollar. Andre Johnson has earned his money and ability to renegotiate....Revis, not so much

This. I think people overrate Revis a lot. Let him repeat last year, then I'll call him the best corner.

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I think it's funny that it's all this hoopla for the position that is most easily taken out of a game.

The 100 million dollar man will be out there taking out some teams top receiver that gets paid 3 million :D

I think I can find a way to beat the Jets with another 97 million to spread around :P

scpanther22
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Tuesday is the next key date for the Revis holdout
The next question is whether he'll flinch on Tuesday.

Under the terms of the labor agreement, Revis will forfeit a year of service toward free agency, if he fails to report for training camp at least 30 days before the start of the regular season. With the 2010 regular season beginning on September 9, it means that Revis must show up on or before August 10 or lose a year of service.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/08/tuesday-is-the-next-key-date-for-the-revis-holdout/

Saints-Tigers
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
If he's willing to sit out a full year just to get money, I'd really not want to give that guy money....

I don't think he's the type to sit though, he seems really competitive.

derza222
08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I think it's funny that it's all this hoopla for the position that is most easily taken out of a game.

The 100 million dollar man will be out there taking out some teams top receiver that gets paid 3 million :D

I think I can find a way to beat the Jets with another 97 million to spread around :P

Depends on the team...taking out a team's #1 is a pretty big deal because most teams can't do it and passing games usually go through that player. What he did last year was pretty ridiculous...not sold he can repeat it though. But against some teams taking out the #1 option is pretty huge.

If he's willing to sit out a full year just to get money, I'd really not want to give that guy money....

I don't think he's the type to sit though, he seems really competitive.

I'm not so sure he's bluffing, he's got his uncle (Sean Gilbert?) advising him and I believe he sat out a year over a contract dispute. Honestly I think it's a bad move for him but I'm sure he doesn't want what happened to Leon Washington happening to him. The Jets gave out a deal to Ferguson so you know they're willing to pay guys, but after what happened to LW I wonder if they're lowballing him a little and spreading rumors that they're offering more than they are. That would certainly be a mistake IMO, but the FO has been pretty shady at times the last few years.

scpanther22
08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Jets owner Woody Johnson: Unlikely Darrelle Revis signs new deal before season starts
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/jets-owner-woody-johnson-unlikely-darrelle-revis-signs-new-deal-before-season-starts/1

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Make him sit out. No player is above the team. I have a question though, once an average player retires from the NFL how do they make their money? Do they go into coaching roles or just become a regular 9-5 worker?

K Train
08-10-2010, 10:00 AM
if he sits out the season mark it down that 09 will be known as his best year, he wont ever touch 09 again

they really should go pay mangold since the hands down best center in the league>a cornerback in a rex ryan defense

Brent
08-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a question though, once an average player retires from the NFL how do they make their money? Do they go into coaching roles or just become a regular 9-5 worker?
Just like any company, there are pension plans. Whether or not they qualify, I think that is based on numerous factors.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Just like any company, there are pension plans.

I assumed that i just didn't know if they compensated them very well.

Michigan
08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
i'm pretty sure there are better ways to help a team with $100 million than spending it all on a cornerback, even if he is the best in the game. i'm rooting for the front office in this one.

scottyboy
08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
the thing is, with Revis, the Jets are a legit contender. without him, they're probably a 9 win team.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
What he said ^^
Bingo.
I'd love to see one of these guys like this be time warped back to 1960, and try and pull this once.
We all agree that Revis is underpaid based on his performance. So what? Does that balance all the top 10 busts who rape teams for their first 3 years?

It works both ways.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
the thing is, with Revis, the Jets are a legit contender. without him, they're probably a 9 win team.
Didn
t they win 9 last year, with him? 9-7 IIRC.

scottyboy
08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Didn
t they win 9 last year, with him? 9-7 IIRC.

this is true, I think they got a bit better this year. But without Revis, what I meant, is that they're not a playoff team. I actually meant to say 8. damn typos. With Revis they can contend, without him, they're cooked.

K Train
08-10-2010, 10:18 AM

thats what everyone is saying, but i just dont buy it. losing him hurts their defense but it doesnt destroy it, and it certainly doesnt destroy the chances of the team winning games....they play an attacking style of defense and get alot of pressure and really cro, wilson, and lowry are no sloutches at CB. they are in a perfect position to let him sit out and cry imo

if mangold sat out tho they would suffer greatly, i cant even fathom smashing their bank open for faneca 2 years ago so he can be among the leagues worst guards for 8 million a year, paying a slightly above average brick ferguson to a big money deal, being willing to make revis a $100 million cornerback, but snubb an elite player like mangold who is probably the best player on their team (imo)

i just dont get it, i hope they sign revis and he falls on his face and they lose out on mangold and he goes to the patriots or something

scottyboy
08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
without Revis, their starting CB's are Cromartie and Kyle Wilson, with Dwight Lowery. With Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool at safety. not exactly a kick ass secondary.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not diminishing the importance of Mangold here either. Just saying, if they've gotta choose, it's not the easiest of decisions to make here

soybean
08-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Let him hold out. They're still a good team.

Then if he sits out a whole season or two before he's a free agent, there's no way he'd get that lucrative contract being 2 years removed from football.

Shane P. Hallam
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
He won't sit out any regular season games. And as good as Revis is, he won't be the best corner after this year. CB is SO tough. Every year, a different guy steps up and is seen as the "best" Asomugha, Bailey, Cromartie, Revis, all these guys have been argued as the best after one incredible year.

K Train
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
without Revis, their starting CB's are Cromartie and Kyle Wilson, with Dwight Lowery. With Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool at safety. not exactly a kick ass secondary.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not diminishing the importance of Mangold here either. Just saying, if they've gotta choose, it's not the easiest of decisions to make here

i agree to some extent....but the secondary wasnt really kick ass in baltimore either...lot of old guys, undersized guys, and fragile guys...but the pressure they brought made them servicable.

say what you want about cromartie but hes got excellent ball skills and good hips, i think he could be great (or at least good again) under rex...you dont want to let the pressure get to you and throw a bad ball to cromartie cause he can catch it and take it back, and wilson could probably start relatively soon for most teams and be a solid corner, they got great value with that pick.

K Train
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
He won't sit out any regular season games. And as good as Revis is, he won't be the best corner after this year. CB is SO tough. Every year, a different guy steps up and is seen as the "best" Asomugha, Bailey, Cromartie, Revis, all these guys have been argued as the best after one incredible year.

truth....so true

sbh15
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
this guy (and most nfl players for that matter) are ******* clowns. he won't play because he can't get more than $15.1M a year? boo ******* hoo. get your greedy ass to camp and take $12.0M a year, you'll still be rich as ****.

Scotty D
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
this guy (and most nfl players for that matter) are ******* clowns. he won't play because he can't get more than $15.1M a year? boo ******* hoo. get your greedy ass to camp and take $12.0M a year, you'll still be rich as ****.

Elvis Dumervil.

derza222
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think this is as cut and dry as everybody's making it out to be when they support Revis or the FO. With the CBA it's tough to determine what to do in terms of guaranteed money, they can't guarantee around everything (I think only one of injury and performance, though I'm not sure it's performance) and Revis doesn't want to get injured in a nasty way and lose a ton of his value. Supposedly what happened with Leon Washington last year has him pretty concerned about what happens if he gets hurt. But with the CBA uncertainty they don't want to toss a bunch of guaranteed money his way up front. I'm pretty sure no team has really given a player a lot of guarantees in any of the extensions this offseason.

umphrey
08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
The Jets are reported to be preparing for the season without Revis being there. I don't buy it at all. It's a bluff to come out publicly and make a big stink about how there is no way they are going to pay him and they don't need him - try to force his hand and get him to sign. But that doesn't mean they are going to fold and sign him for anything either. They drafted Kyle Wilson and brought in Cromartie - whatever your opinion is on the two players all that matters is that the Jets believe in them. Maybe they even did it because they saw this coming, maybe Rex Ryan wasn't planning on putting that much money into a single CB as long as a year ago and they have been planning to let Revis go for awhile now.

I think Revis shows up around the 3rd-4th preseason game, plays a year, and bolts as a free agent.

Forenci
08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

I sincerely doubt if you had the immense talent that Revis had you'd say this. I don't blame him for holding out. He could be one wrong turn of the leg away in a non-contact drill away from never getting paid.

It's easy for us fans to be passionate about the game and say guys should stop being greedy but I have little doubts if we had the ability to play in the NFL, and play as one of the best players in the league, we wouldn't be so quick to judge. Every player in the NFL is one step away from being cut by his team and losing any money that isn't guaranteed on his deal.

Seems pretty obvious that most teams and the NFL doesn't give a **** about players once they leave the league, but the players are supposed to be blindly loyal to their teams?

Shiver
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Without him, count on the Jets for about 4 wins this season. Revis is the best and should be paid as such. All power to him and I hope he holds out.

Hurricanes25
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Without him, count on the Jets for about 4 wins this season. Revis is the best and should be paid as such. All power to him and I hope he holds out.

Seriously? You really think that Revis is worth about 6-7 wins? I know he is the best player on the team but come on.

Shiver
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Did you see the Colts game? That defense is nothing without him. They are very overrated, once they ran into a team that had more than just a #1 WR they were exposed. (also see the Patriots game when they had Welker)

Hurricanes25
08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Did you see the Colts game? That defense is nothing without him. They are very overrated, once they ran into a team that had more than just a #1 WR they were exposed. (also see the Patriots game when they had Welker)

And that was with Lito Shepherd and Dwight Lowery as our #2 and 3. Cromartie and Kyle Wilson will improve our secondary. I understand Cromarite has been terrible the last year or so but our man to man scheme really fits his strengths.

K Train
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
lol.....damn i cant believe peyton manning and tom brady would ever make a defense look overrated

derza222
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM

That's a decent point (looking at the schedule the only other game the Jets played well in against a team that had multiple solid passing options was the Chargers the week before with V-Jax and Gates), but I think it's a little simplistic, there are a lot more variables there than the fact that the Colts more than just a #1 receiver.

The Jets were typically able to keep their defense off the field in part due to a strong running game which took a major shot when Shonn Greene went down. Manning picked on #2 and #3 CB's all game when the pass rush was not able to get to him in time (which was a major issue). I think the fact that Peyton Manning is really good and was able to get the ball out quickly and accurately was a major factor as well.

Given the Jets arguably improved CB depth with the additions of Wilson and Cromartie (who has supposedly been great in camp), it'll probably be harder to pick on just one of those two guys than just throwing at Lito Sheppard all the time. However, 3 WR sets should give them trouble and while I don't think Wilson or Cromartie will be as bad as Sheppard (I could certainly be wrong) the team won't be able to take away #1 options. On the other hand, given Kris Jenkins will be back a solid run defense should improve some and the passing game should be better as well, after week 5 at least. The run game is a major question mark IMO. So to be perfectly clear, I do think the Jets will struggle without Revis, but I also don't think they'll struggle as much as you seem to think (6-8 wins seems more realistic to me) and I don't think it's cut and dry.

Also, Ryan and Pettine will probably tweak the way they defend without Revis. I thought the Jets were done after Jenkins went down this past season and they were able to scheme their way out of it, and while Revis is certainly a bigger loss Jenks was a huge loss as well. Keep in mind, Ryan's Baltimore teams typically didn't have great #1 corner play and they did alright. We'll see how they do with those tweaks, but looking at the team's defense with Revis in the fold and seeing what offenses did but taking into account they won't be able to shut down #1's and thinking about how they'll be without him isn't exactly an apples to oranges comparison. It probably favors your side of the argument since they can't roll as much coverage away from him, but again it's a tough comparison to make since we don't know what they'll do without him or how Cromartie and Wilson will play in this scheme.

LonghornsLegend
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
It's a bit unfair to look at that Colt game and expect it to be the same, because CB could now be one of their team strengths if Revis is back this year. That's probably why they took Kyle Wilson, that's a huge upgrade as a #2 corner and I don't think he'd get beaten that bad.

Add in Kris Jenkins who can collapse a pocket much quicker and give less time for a QB to throw, and I don't think looking at that Colts game really would tell the whole story of how things would go this year.

Shiver
08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
lol.....damn i cant believe peyton manning and tom brady would ever make a defense look overrated

They wouldn't even have been rated highly had it not been for Revis, which is my point.

LonghornsLegend
08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I sincerely doubt if you had the immense talent that Revis had you'd say this. I don't blame him for holding out. He could be one wrong turn of the leg away in a non-contact drill away from never getting paid.

It's easy for us fans to be passionate about the game and say guys should stop being greedy but I have little doubts if we had the ability to play in the NFL, and play as one of the best players in the league, we wouldn't be so quick to judge. Every player in the NFL is one step away from being cut by his team and losing any money that isn't guaranteed on his deal.

Seems pretty obvious that most teams and the NFL doesn't give a **** about players once they leave the league, but the players are supposed to be blindly loyal to their teams?

Some people just don't understand this. People think just because they love football and would play it for free, that these guys should be happy they make anything in the millions and just accept anything. It's a business.

The Jets talked him up as the best CB, and best defender in the league all year, now they act surprised when he wants to be paid as such. Sure he could take 10 million a year to help sign Mangold, but that doesn't mean he's an asshole for not doing it.

Sure 1 way or another he's rich, but if nobody understands how big of a difference 4-6 million dollars a year is to someone then you'll never get it.

K Train
08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
oh its entirely the jets fault for doing this, and ryan keeps heaping on the praise making it worse. i thought he was great last year, but i also think hes being immensely overrated right now. hes a rare talent at a very difficult position to play but a cornerback isnt gonna make or break a team. not having him hurts them but it doesnt kill them, guys step up all the time.

jets got a badass roster imo, and i think ryan is a great coach and an even better defensive mind....if he cant get 2 first round CBs to fill in and play good defense, with having another guy around with starting experience then there is no hope.

descendency
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Revis has really thought out this holdout.

I mean if he holds out to the bye week, either the Jets will be in the playoff hunt or they won't. Either way, they won't be interested in paying Revis for the year.

Being 2-4 is his best shot at getting a deal done because they are still alive but also desperate.

Next year's potential lockout could mean he would lose 2 years of playing and of salary. I'd say the drop dead date for not losing 2 years is week 4. If the Jets are 0-3 going into Buffalo, then he may have the most leverage he will ever have because their season is still salvageable. That is the last week he will have any leverage though. If they beat Buffalo, then they may have increased confidence without him. If they lose to Buffalo, they are basically done for the year.

So, I give this holdout 7 more weeks tops.

jets got a badass roster imo, and i think ryan is a great coach and an even better defensive mind....

How can you be the 4th best coach and 3rd best defensive mind in the AFC East and be 'great'?

Vikes99ej
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
More important to team?

Favre or Revis?

CC.SD
08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
More important to team?

Favre or Revis?

Better question, which player is in uniform first this season?

Vikes99ej
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Better question, which player is in uniform first this season?

I am going to say Favre. I can picture Revis actually holding out a few games into the season. Favre has SOME ethics, he won't want to leave his team out to dry against the Saints.

Shane P. Hallam
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
More important to team?

Favre or Revis?

Favre, for sure, no question to me. Look at who replaces them both...

Paranoidmoonduck
08-10-2010, 03:36 PM
More important to team?

Favre or Revis?

Favre. Easily. If he plays like he did last year, he's the difference between sneaking into the playoffs (at best) and going deep into January. If Revis plays or doesn't (he will, but whatever), he upgrades the Jets from mediocre to less mediocre.

Revis helps the Jets a lot (that whole scheme was helped immensely with the pressure they could heap on him), but that team is still mediocre any way you slice it. Unless Greene and Tomlinson manage to piece together a great (and I mean top 3) rushing attack, I doubt the Jets manage better than 3rd in the division. And that's with Revis.

I have no idea what Revis' contract demands are, but it's unreasonable for him to want a yearly deal like Nnamdi's. That said, it's not unreasonable for him to want more guaranteed money overall. That should be easy to piece together.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
For sure Favre.

Trading Revis a possiblity?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/trading-revis-is-a-remote-possibility/

TimD
08-10-2010, 04:00 PM
ughhhhhhhh

Shane P. Hallam
08-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I am going to say Favre. I can picture Revis actually holding out a few games into the season. Favre has SOME ethics, he won't want to leave his team out to dry against the Saints.

No, Revis won't hold out through the season. No way he gives up that money and potential to have to pay back part of the signing bonus, especially with next year so up in the air.

Forenci
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Some people just don't understand this. People think just because they love football and would play it for free, that these guys should be happy they make anything in the millions and just accept anything. It's a business.

The Jets talked him up as the best CB, and best defender in the league all year, now they act surprised when he wants to be paid as such. Sure he could take 10 million a year to help sign Mangold, but that doesn't mean he's an asshole for not doing it.

Sure 1 way or another he's rich, but if nobody understands how big of a difference 4-6 million dollars a year is to someone then you'll never get it.

To me that's the funniest thing of all. I'm not sure people even realize that point. The Jets are scoffing at the idea of making Revis the highest paid corner when their coach was constantly calling him the best corner in the league. As I recall he referred to him as the best defensive player in the league too and was miffed when he didn't when the DPOY award.

So the Jets refer to him as the best defensive player in the league but now it's all Revis' fault because he wants to paid like he's one of the best?

Ness
08-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm all about getting paid your market value, but Revis still has a few years left on his deal. He should honor the contract he originally signed. He's already getting a lot of money. What is to stop Revis from holding out again a year after he signs another blockbuster deal? Is he really worried he's going to go broke or something? He has enough money to live nicely for the rest of his life assuming he invests it right. Someone who is currently making half as much as he is in guaranteed money would still have enough...assuming it's invested in the proper manner. Revis is missing valuable time in camp, and I doubt he's going to get the deal he wants from New York. He's just screwing himself here I think.

That's like saying the Oakland Raiders are screwed without Nnamdi Asomugha with their win total...when in reality they haven't won over five games since he's been there. A cornerback doesn't make or break a franchise...nor does a cornerback lead a team to a championship.

Thecollegedropout
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Unless you have the Bills at 4 wins or under, give me some of what your smoking if you think the Jets without Revis are on Buffalo's level of talent.

vidae
08-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Just pay the man and get him into camp. Like stated previously, you can't talk up someone and claim they're the best player at their position and then roll your eyes when they want to be paid like it.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Elvis Dumervil.

It is football injury happens. He could easily pull a Steve Smith how fair is that to the team or get by a bus. **** happens. They offered him enough where it is a win for both sides.

derza222
08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I think this situation is more complicated than salary, guarantees and the CBA uncertainty are paying a big role. The only way they can circumvent the issues with guarantees and the 30% rule is giving him a TON of money up front, which the owner doesn't want to do right now. There's a difference between the guarantees in contracts that other guys (Brick for example) have signed this offseason and what Revis wants.

trkaline
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Well hopefully he holds out until after the Ravens game...then he can sign.

AHungryWalrus
08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
How can you be the 4th best coach and 3rd best defensive mind in the AFC East and be 'great'?

.... No one else saw this? Seriously? Hate the Jets all you want, Rex is not the worst coach in the AFC, and has had MUCH better defenses over the past 5 years than any other AFC coach.

descendency
08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
.... No one else saw this? Seriously? Hate the Jets all you want, Rex is not the worst coach in the AFC, and has had MUCH better defenses over the past 5 years than any other AFC coach.

Belichick, Sparano, Parcells.

AHungryWalrus
08-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Parcells isn't even a COACH in the division, and there's no way you can definitively say Sparano is better than Rex.

The only better coach, and possibly better defensive mind in the AFC east is Belichick.

BradysKnee
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Parcells isn't even a COACH in the division, and there's no way you can definitively say Sparano is better than Rex.

The only better coach, and possibly better defensive mind in the AFC east is Belichick.

Possibly??

K Train
08-10-2010, 08:41 PM
people hate rex cause hes a dick, but the man builds a brilliant defensive scheme imo, and i love his douche bag attitude, its refreshing

scottyboy
08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
yea, it's even more refreshing when his douche attitude bites him in his large ass. his pimping revis has gotta be a factor to his hold out, as already stated.

i mean, i guess if he's my teams coach I love it...but he really needs to shut his mouth sometimes.

Bengals78
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
people hate rex cause hes a dick, but the man builds a brilliant defensive scheme imo, and i love his douche bag attitude, its refreshing

Is it really?
There are a ton of douche bag coaches out there.

trkaline
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Is it really?
There are a ton of douche bag coaches out there.

The Hoodie comes to mind...

soybean
08-10-2010, 09:42 PM

Who wouldn't want to lose in the first round!?!?!

Bill Parcells Fo Lyfe!!!!!!!!

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM

It's not that he has ethics, it's just that he doesn't want his consecutive starts string snapped. IMO, it's one of the main reasons he keeps playing.

AHungryWalrus
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Possibly??

Belichick is definitely the better coach. Not going to argue that. As for a defensive mind, I can see why most people would put Belichick ahead of Rex. But it has been a while since the Patriots had a legit defense.

By saying "possibly", I'm just saying that you have to at least be open to Rex being in the discussion.

Saints-Tigers
08-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Rex has a brilliant defensive scheme. Have a really good CB that you can leave on an island, and have lots of good players in the front 7, and blitz them a lot to create pressure.

He's so groundbreaking and brilliant.

brat316
08-10-2010, 10:59 PM
He is no Dick Lebeau

AHungryWalrus
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Rex has a brilliant defensive scheme. Have a really good CB that you can leave on an island, and have lots of good players in the front 7, and blitz them a lot to create pressure.

Yeah, because, you know, his first successful defense ever was last years Jets team.

Oh wait.

LonghornsLegend
08-11-2010, 12:10 AM

What 1 really good CB did Baltimore have that was left on an island his entire time there?

It's not like he's a HOF coordinator, but he's certainly a very good one. It didn't really take that long for the Jets to become a good defense, and even though Revis was there he brought in a ton of players to add to the scheme he wants to run.

WMD
08-11-2010, 12:14 AM
The Lions should offer their next two First Rounders for Revis. Throw a third rounder in there too.

I'm sure they'd never trade him though... :(

Saints-Tigers
08-11-2010, 07:12 AM
What 1 really good CB did Baltimore have that was left on an island his entire time there?

It's not like he's a HOF coordinator, but he's certainly a very good one. It didn't really take that long for the Jets to become a good defense, and even though Revis was there he brought in a ton of players to add to the scheme he wants to run.

Baltimore is a different method, but come on man, Baltimore is always stacked with talent on the defensive side of the ball.

He's always done a good job of playing to his D's strengths, but it's a whole lot easier when you have outrageous pass rushing and monster D-lines. Haloti Ngata alone is better than most D-Lines.

He is a good coordinator, I agree, but some people play him up as some defensive mastermind that has a system that makes scrubs into pro bowlers.

bam bam
08-11-2010, 08:06 AM
He is a good coordinator, I agree, but some people play him up as some defensive mastermind that has a system that makes scrubs into pro bowlers.

He made Adalius Thomas a pro bowler. What did that guy do after he left Baltimore?

Saints-Tigers
08-11-2010, 08:09 AM
He made Adalius Thomas a pro bowler. What did that guy do after he left Baltimore?

Got old and injured. Are you really going to discredit Adalius as a specimen? Dude was an animal, he's played DT, and lined up across from Ocho Cinco in the same season.

Jets Owner says he doesn't think Revis will play for the Jets this season. Wow, I'm actually shocked.

Might be a Crabtree situation though, and around mid season he might get the itch.

AHungryWalrus
08-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Homeboy Come on back 2 practice so we can win this Super Bowl I'll hook U up wit half my check. Not much but itll hold U down 4 now

http://twitter.com/DavidClowney

Bwahahahaha

J-Mike88
08-11-2010, 09:07 AM
The Lions should offer their next two First Rounders for Revis. Throw a third rounder in there too.

I'm sure they'd never trade him though... :(
Wow, with the Lions always picking in the first 5 of drafts, that would be a very tempting offer for any non-QB player.

scpanther22
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
This is how far apart holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis and the Jets are on 10-year proposals they each have on the table: A staggering $40 million

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/11/2010-08-11_40m_gap_guarantees_big_trouble.html#ixzz0wJB1vz sh

scottyboy
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Wow, with the Lions always picking in the first 5 of drafts, that would be a very tempting offer for any non-QB player.

except I'd bet almost anything that the Lions wont be picking top 5 this year.
I see what you're saying, but I think the Lions are on the rise. slowly, but surely.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Jets Owner says he doesn't think Revis will play for the Jets this season. Wow, I'm actually shocked.

That's all posturing. He's merely saying it to indicate to Revis that he's considered the financial ramifications he can dictate to Revis if he does indeed sit out.

derza222
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/11/2010-08-11_40m_gap_guarantees_big_trouble.html#ixzz0wJB1vz sh

Apparently I was dead wrong about the guaranteed money being the issue based on what's in that article. Basically the Jets want to agree on total compensation then talk guarantees from there, they offered 10 years $120 million and the thought is he'll want more than $160 million over 10 years which is where the $40 million off comes from. Realistically, they're probably $5 or $6 million a year apart right now if the Jets offered $12 million a year.

Their band-aid deal they offered is 4 years $40 million again without guarantees determined, but he'd basically make that much on his current deal if they franchised him after the 3rd year and get almost all of it guaranteed. The agent's complaining about the Jets not offering any guarantees, but they want to handle that afterwards and seem flexible on guaranteed money.

It'll be interesting to seem how things shake out. I honestly think not handling guarantees before total compensation is done is kind of silly and a way to draw it out and see if he's going to skip the year or not...late in the game offer him a quarter more than Aso got a year without a ton guaranteed and see if he takes it/go from there.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
He is no Dick Lebeau

Very few people are. DL is a legend and my favorite DC. Guy is amazing!

Crickett
08-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Jim Leonard
Eric Smith
Marques Douglas
Bryan Thomas
Dwight Lowry
Sione Pouha

Hof bound baby.

The Jets defense, a group so chock full of talent it sent a record breaking 2 guys to this most recent pro bowl.

Scotty D
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Jim Leonard
Eric Smith
Marques Douglas
Bryan Thomas
Dwight Lowry
Sione Pouha

Hof bound baby.

The Jets defense, a group so chock full of talent it sent a record breaking 2 guys to this most recent pro bowl.

Production on the field is the only thing that matters.

CC.SD
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Am I a homer if I want to know what Ladainian thinks about this...

killxswitch
08-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Not anymore, no.

vidae
08-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes, always yes!

21ST
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Jim Leonard
Eric Smith
Marques Douglas
Bryan Thomas
Dwight Lowry
Sione Pouha

Hof bound baby.

If you put them all together they play pretty damn good though.

descendency
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Vinny Cerrato just made Al Davis look smart without looking stupid:

Nnamdi Asomugha's contract was a 3 year deal at the franchise tender rate when he signed it. (in other words, franchising him 3 years in a row effectively) But it's a lot less than it would have cost them to franchise him 3 times in a row.

He was talking about it to show the difference between Revis (under contract) and Asomugha (basically a free agent)

Paranoidmoonduck
08-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Actually the Raiders won't end up saving money on that contract if they exercise the team option for 2011 (versus what they would have paid for 3 franchise tags), but they kept their best player satisfied, gave him the security he wanted, and bought themselves some time to improve and justify to Nnamdi that he should sign a longer deal.

It's a really unique deal though, and shouldn't be the baseline for Revis' contract.

descendency
08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Actually the Raiders won't end up saving money on that contract if they exercise the team option for 2011 (versus what they would have paid for 3 franchise tags)

The franchise tag is already over 15 million a year.

What is the 2011 option?

P-L
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
The franchise tag is already over 15 million a year.

What is the 2011 option?
The Raiders have to pay Asomugha the franchise number for quarterbacks in 2011 or $16.875 million, whichever is greater.

descendency
08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
The Raiders have to pay Asomugha the franchise number for quarterbacks in 2011 or $16.875 million, whichever is greater.

The Raiders would have to pay him the QB franchise number or 10% of his previous years salary (which would be a QB franchise number as well) to franchise him a 3rd time, though.

derza222
08-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting point in a KC Joyner article, the Jets supposedly had 3 corners in the top 20 in YPA last year, with Revis tops in the league. However, that hasn't happened in the past with guys like Champ and Aso. I'm sure there's something that's skewing the stat, but it's an interesting one nevertheless. A ton hinges on how well Cromartie plays, and I think there's a pretty wide range there.

In a recent interview/presser he said he'd give the team practice off and they'd all meet with Revis and whoever he wants to bring in an attempt to work this out, kind of funny but apparently he was serious. Apparently it's just a bunch of he said she said and people are starting to get frustrated about the whole thing.

Crickett
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Production on the field is the only thing that matters.

If you put them all together they play pretty damn good though.

I know, I'm not arguing against that, I'm arguing against this overwhelming talent that is supposedly the key to Rex Ryan's success (as opposed to his schemes).

LizardState
08-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Interesting that this snag happens in the yr. the Jets were supposed to make that SB run. Revis knows they can't get there without him & that's his ace in the hole, the Jets are spinning it like they can keep him where he is with 3 yrs. to go on his current contract.

ESPN opined today that something has to happen, an injury or decline in the play of the other CBs for the 2 parties to reach any compromise b/c it's getting ugly.

Some even think Revis might sit the whole yr. but that seems like an unlikely worst case.

Brent
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I think he shows up just before the first game. No way that dude is skipping out on game checks with an uncertain year looming.

Monomach
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Heard on ESPN radio today that he turned down 10 years / 120 mildo. He demanded 10 years / 160.

No mention of how much the guaranteed money is, but on a 120 mil contract, you'd have to think it would be at least 50 mil.

I wouldn't pay 120m over 10 years for any corner in the league. For that money, I better get a really good QB, DT, or DE.

Splat
08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
100 plus million for a CB is laughable no matter how good he is.

Ness
08-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm guessing this gets resolved one way or another around the start of the season. Emmitt Smith held out in 1993 for the first two games into the regular season. No one talks about that though. Jets fans shouldn't sound the alarms just yet. I honestly think they can even win without him. Corners don't carry a franchise.

Shiver
08-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Heard on ESPN radio today that he turned down 10 years / 120 mildo. He demanded 10 years / 160.

No mention of how much the guaranteed money is, but on a 120 mil contract, you'd have to think it would be at least 50 mil.

I wouldn't pay 120m over 10 years for any corner in the league. For that money, I better get a really good QB, DT, or DE.

Quarterback I definitely agree, but name a DT or DE that impacts the game and is better than Darrelle Revis please. There isn't a Reggie White or Warren Sapp in the league today.

Bengals78
08-12-2010, 02:30 AM
120 million for a CB......wow.
I hate the current state of football contracts.
Jesus. If Revis is 120, Ed Reed should have been a 200 million FS. And Troy P should be around 200 for a SS.

djp
08-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Anyone seen Braylon Edwards' beard lately?

yo123
08-12-2010, 03:51 AM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/km84tj/edwards.jpg?t=1281603187

Saints-Tigers
08-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Quarterback I definitely agree, but name a DT or DE that impacts the game and is better than Darrelle Revis please. There isn't a Reggie White or Warren Sapp in the league today.

Jared Allen, Albert Haynesworth(when motivated), Haloti Ngata, and other dudes I'm probably forgetting are far more impactful than Revis IMO.

Dunno if I'd say they are better than Revis by position, but I think more than a few d-linemen have more impact.

When Revis is in the zone, you can't pass to a certain guy. When a D-line men is on, you can't pass and/or run PERIOD.

Just don't get all the CB love on this website to be honest.

descendency
08-12-2010, 05:56 AM
120 million for a CB......wow.

See, that's the thing. It could be like 20 for 5 years and then 100 for 5 years. They'll cut him before year 6 and pay out the remainder of the guaranteed money.

Then you have a 5 year, 20 million dollar deal. I seriously doubt he'd ever play out a 10 year deal.

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Dude better hope he doesn't suffer an accident.... like Chad Jones did.
Can y'all imagine, a CB who has 3 years left on the contract that he signed, turning down 120 million dollars?

scottyboy
08-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Jared Allen, Albert Haynesworth(when motivated), Haloti Ngata, and other dudes I'm probably forgetting are far more impactful than Revis IMO.

Dunno if I'd say they are better than Revis by position, but I think more than a few d-linemen have more impact.

When Revis is in the zone, you can't pass to a certain guy. When a D-line men is on, you can't pass and/or run PERIOD.

you don't really understand how football works, do you?

wonderbredd24
08-12-2010, 07:10 AM
10 years/$120 million or $160 million is meaningless until we know how much is guaranteed. If the contract is backloaded, he's probably never going to see a lot of that money anyway.

AntoinCD
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM

When you have a premier CB like Revis he changes the entire complexion of a game. You can limit Jared Allen's effectiveness by double blocking him and having your QB take more 3 and 5 step drops. However, for the Patriots, Randy Moss is the guy who makes the offense what it is. Pretty much every team will at least double cover him with safety help over the top. This leaves all the underneath stuff open for Welker, and if there was a reliable 3rd or 4th option they would all have very good chances to get numerous targets due to mainly single coverage. Now if you have a guy who can take Moss out of the game by himself this reduces the opportunities for everyone else on the team as coverage will be so much better due to more bodies in coverage, and/or the pass rush can be better as more people can blitz. While a DE like Allen or Freeney etc can make defenses better(particularly cover 2 defenses), players like Revis and Asomghua etc give the defensive coordinator so much flexibility in his gameplan.

Saints-Tigers
08-12-2010, 03:57 PM
you don't really understand how football works, do you?

This is hilarious coming from you.

Apparently I'm one of the few that realizes how overrated CBs are.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Yeah, but not Revis and not in that Jets defense. Anyone who watched them last year should understand how risky most of that playcalling was and how much it rested on the fact that Revis would have the first receiver in the quarterback's progression blanketed.

Is he worth 160 million or whatever the ****? No (not that it matters, the size of that number just means his last year, which he'll never play to, will be like 30 million or whatever). Is he hugely valuable to that defense? You bet.

Hurricanes25
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Rex doesn't have 5 guys rush the QB, he brings the house. When you can stick Revis on any WR in the league, one on one, and shut him down for the most part, it shows just how valuable he is to our defense.

yourfavestoner
08-12-2010, 04:15 PM

It's not the CBs are overrated. An elite one is an absolute gamechanger for a defense. It can make a good defense. One could argue that Deion Sanders was the catalyst of the changing of the guard from SF to Dallas in the 90s. Make no mistake, a dominant corner allows so much flexibility in a defense, it's unreal. In fact, it can be argued that since a true shutdown CB is so rare, that in itself commands a huge pay. It's supply and demand.

The thing is, is that you don't need a dominant CB to win a Superbowl. Thing is, though, is that you can say that about any position. You don't need great ends if you've got a great set of tackles or LBs who can generate pressure. You don't need great safeties if you've got great CBs and vice versa. DTs can cover up weaker linebackers.

scottyboy
08-12-2010, 04:23 PM

we get it, I'm a homer. But a nice little secret from people who don't have their heads up their ass is that I know football and will gladly take you to school in any subject you so choose.

How over-rated CB's are? this is a joke. football is a team game and outside of really QB (even that can be compensated) every weakness or strength on a team can be gameplanned for.
As a Giants fan, I know that CB's aren't vital to winning a Super Bowl (see Pope, Geoffery).
BUT having a CB like Revis just gives you such an element and toy to plan and play with. Having a guy who can eliminate the other teams #1 WR and really even shut down a whole half of a field is a DC's wet dream.
So again, keep throwing out cheap, ***** cheap shots and vague statements and give a legit argument

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 04:42 PM
As a Giants fan, I know that CB's aren't vital to winning a Super Bowl (see Pope, Geoffery).
Damn, don't remind me.
When the Giants beat the packers in the 2008 NFC Title game, your CBs were terrible, everyone expected us to expose them.
You had many injuries and were playing some stiffs and young raw guys.

But because the DL was good (and because we had the Choker at QB), you overcame the crappy CBs.... they just did their job, nothing special.

Aso has been the best CB for the past 5 games, but it means little if the team around them aren't great.

Revis is great, but is not worth the money his agent is axing for. Good for the Jets for not buckling.

LizardState
08-12-2010, 04:59 PM
The team said today they want to keep all future negotiations private & in-house.

Right, just when they're under the media microscope with the biggest offseason story so far & the glare of the controversy is maxing out. The ESPN crew had a big ROFLTAO over that.

Good luck. Big Ben & Favre are loving this b/c it took them off the headlines for a wk. or so.

Saints-Tigers
08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
So again, keep throwing out cheap, ***** cheap shots and vague statements and give a legit argument

Lol, cry about it dude, you threw out a cheap shot and got mad when someone fired back. Boo hoo.

Yeah, but not Revis and not in that Jets defense. Anyone who watched them last year should understand how risky most of that playcalling was and how much it rested on the fact that Revis would have the first receiver in the quarterback's progression blanketed.

Is he worth 160 million or whatever the ****? No (not that it matters, the size of that number just means his last year, which he'll never play to, will be like 30 million or whatever). Is he hugely valuable to that defense? You bet.

I agree with this, but I think it's overrated if people really feel like this:

I see things like that, and I just think dominant D linemen, like Ngata perhaps, are going to have a much greater impact in a vacuum. Sure, Revis has a ton more value against a team that is super reliant on one receiver to open everything up, but there are so many teams now that spread the ball around well that the value of shutting down 1 WR without help is being diminished.

What do you do against someone like Ngata? You double and triple team him, and he's still going to dominate against the run and generate some pressure up the gut when he's in the middle.

Revis? Yea, you can freely blitz a lot more, which is nice when you have strong blitzers, and he can eliminate even the best receivers, but what happens when you are playing someone like the Saints? Colston is going to be held to like 30 yards while the Saints trot out 4-5 wide sets, guys like Bush/thomas/Shockey mixed in and they are just going to in essence exchange you Colston for Revis. Now you have your 160 million dollar man out of almost every play to erase Marques.

I know this obviously can't work for every team, but even in my scenario, think of someone like Ngata. If we decide to just throw the ball to neutralize him more, we've given up half of our offense. Would you rather know what type of play is coming(in this case, you'll know the passes are coming and can adjust your packages accordingly) or would you rather shut down a top tier receiver and have teh offense basically going 10 on 10?

It's a holey example, but in essence, I'd rather a Dlinemen eliminating 2-3 guys that are trying to block him than a CB eliminating one receiver.

Saints-Tigers
08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Good luck. Big Ben & Favre are loving this b/c it took them off the headlines for a wk. or so.

LAUGHABLE.

Favre is pissed, and will be announcing something to get his name back to the top.

Crickett
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Revis? Yea, you can freely blitz a lot more, which is nice when you have strong blitzers, and he can eliminate even the best receivers, but what happens when you are playing someone like the Saints?

What happens is you hold Drew Brees to 190 yards passing and the Saints offense as a whole to a single (rushing) touchdown, but lose because your rookie quarterback threw three interceptions.

Thats what happens.

GB12
08-12-2010, 09:08 PM
You know, this is really a great move from a marketing perspective. It's not easy for corners to get recognized, even the great ones. It took years for people to really know about Asomugha, and even now he's not as well known as he should be. This hold out is getting Revis a lot of media attention and spreading the word. Every show on ESPN is talking about him everyday, saying he's the best corner in the game and all that. Don't know if that was thought of when deciding to hold out, probably not, but it's a nice side effect for him.

Saints-Tigers
08-13-2010, 12:14 AM
What happens is you hold Drew Brees to 190 yards passing and the Saints offense as a whole to a single (rushing) touchdown, but lose because your rookie quarterback threw three interceptions.

Thats what happens.

Yea, Revis was dominating our running game.

Crickett
08-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Well, you asked what would happen. Answer: Saints passing game shut down, rookie quarterback gives the Saints the win.

Hurricanes25
08-13-2010, 12:31 AM

And you totally ignored the fact that Brees was limited to 190 passing yards.

AHungryWalrus
08-13-2010, 07:36 AM

Seriously? You just fail to address the major argument, and bring up a completely irrelevant point?

Bravo, good sir.

scottyboy
08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Seriously? You just fail to address the major argument, and bring up a completely irrelevant point?

Bravo, good sir.

it seems to be his matt forte.

also, I love your user name, just thought you should know that

Saints-Tigers
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I was AT that game, we got wrecked up front for the most part.

Revis was awesome, but he still has teh luxury of great front 7 play.

My point was that Revis isn't going to shut down a passing game on his own, but a dominant linemen can shut out a running game just about alone, and a dominant pass rusher can throw the whole passing game off alone, and if you want to take him out, you have to throw 2-3 guys at him.

Colston has been shut out by big time corners before, and we light teams up still. The Jets are different because they aren't just Revis + average players.

Rosebud
08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Lol, cry about it dude, you threw out a cheap shot and got mad when someone fired back. Boo hoo.

I agree with this, but I think it's overrated if people really feel like this:

I see things like that, and I just think dominant D linemen, like Ngata perhaps, are going to have a much greater impact in a vacuum. Sure, Revis has a ton more value against a team that is super reliant on one receiver to open everything up, but there are so many teams now that spread the ball around well that the value of shutting down 1 WR without help is being diminished.

What do you do against someone like Ngata? You double and triple team him, and he's still going to dominate against the run and generate some pressure up the gut when he's in the middle.

Revis? Yea, you can freely blitz a lot more, which is nice when you have strong blitzers, and he can eliminate even the best receivers, but what happens when you are playing someone like the Saints? Colston is going to be held to like 30 yards while the Saints trot out 4-5 wide sets, guys like Bush/thomas/Shockey mixed in and they are just going to in essence exchange you Colston for Revis. Now you have your 160 million dollar man out of almost every play to erase Marques.

I know this obviously can't work for every team, but even in my scenario, think of someone like Ngata. If we decide to just throw the ball to neutralize him more, we've given up half of our offense. Would you rather know what type of play is coming(in this case, you'll know the passes are coming and can adjust your packages accordingly) or would you rather shut down a top tier receiver and have teh offense basically going 10 on 10?

It's a holey example, but in essence, I'd rather a Dlinemen eliminating 2-3 guys that are trying to block him than a CB eliminating one receiver.

Meh, I certainly agree that to me the DL is far more important than your DBs, although both are more important than LBs in a 4-3, but you're under-rating just how freeing it is to have one guy who can go one on one with anyone. It not only frees up more blitzers, which is important even if you're blitzers aren't that good since anyone can run at the QB unimpeded, but it also let's you do a lot more in coverage to create confusion. One of my favorite things about spags was how he used a lot of Zone blitzes but left web one on one. That hybridization is hard for a QB to read quickly if he's not looking for it and if you're getting good pressure on him with that extra blitzer if a QB isn't excellently prepared he's going to have a lot of trouble diagnosing where the zones are being played and where guys are one on one, further making the blitzes more effective. Again I'll take Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Mario Williams, Dwight Freeney, Albert Haynesworth, Haloti Ngata, Kevin Williams, Darnell Dockett and some other DL before I took a guy like Revis if I'm starting a team from scratch, but that's not to say that Revis doesn't help make his team-mates' job a lot easier.

Saints-Tigers
08-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Meh, I certainly agree that to me the DL is far more important than your DBs, although both are more important than LBs in a 4-3, but you're under-rating just how freeing it is to have one guy who can go one on one with anyone. It not only frees up more blitzers, which is important even if you're blitzers aren't that good since anyone can run at the QB unimpeded, but it also let's you do a lot more in coverage to create confusion. One of my favorite things about spags was how he used a lot of Zone blitzes but left web one on one. That hybridization is hard for a QB to read quickly if he's not looking for it and if you're getting good pressure on him with that extra blitzer if a QB isn't excellently prepared he's going to have a lot of trouble diagnosing where the zones are being played and where guys are one on one, further making the blitzes more effective. Again I'll take Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Mario Williams, Dwight Freeney, Albert Haynesworth, Haloti Ngata, Kevin Williams, Darnell Dockett and some other DL before I took a guy like Revis if I'm starting a team from scratch, but that's not to say that Revis doesn't help make his team-mates' job a lot easier.

+29387218372198

yourfavestoner
08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
The team said today they want to keep all future negotiations private & in-house.

Right, just when they're under the media microscope with the biggest offseason story so far & the glare of the controversy is maxing out. The ESPN crew had a big ROFLTAO over that.

Favre definitely does not love it. Expect a report that he had a three-hour workout with high schoolers and that he left some vague text messages on Ed Werder's phone by the end of today.

Saints-Tigers
08-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Favre definitely does not love it. Expect a report that he had a three-hour workout with high schoolers and that he left some vague text messages on Ed Werder's phone by the end of today.

He went to see Dr. Andrews today.

AHungryWalrus
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
it seems to be his matt forte.

also, I love your user name, just thought you should know that

Thanks. I've found it works well for fantasy football, although it usually starts a debate on whether the plural form of Walrus is "Walruses", "Walri", or "Walrus".

Walrus and Walruses are technically correct, but Walri sounds more badass.

Not to take this off topic, or anything...

...Darelle Revis.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I've found it works well for fantasy football, although it usually starts a debate on whether the plural form of Walrus is "Walruses", "Walri", or "Walrus".

It's Walripoedes, actually.

AHungryWalrus
08-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Best part of this conversation:

Now if you google "walripoedes", this is the only thing that comes up.

Saints-Tigers
08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Lynell Hamilton, who the coaching staff of the Saints has gushed over and fellated for two seasons, who was slated to play a big role for the saints....

Was just waived after suffering an ACL injury in practice.

Get your money Darrelle.

Hurricanes25
08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Lynell Hamilton, who the coaching staff of the Saints has gushed over and fellated for two seasons, who was slated to play a big role for the saints....

Get your money Darrelle.

Please don't use Lynell Hamilton as an example of why Revis should holdout and get his money. Hamilton is a 3rd string RB.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM

Get your money Darrelle.

One guy got hurt. More than 20(probably 40) walked off of the field every game without any significant injury. Play flag football if you don't want to get hurt..oh ya you get hurt there too, it happens.

Saints-Tigers
08-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Not about not getting hurt, but a team will cut you loose as soon as you are useless to them with no regards to loyalty. So why should the players be so gracious and loyal to organizations that don't care about them?

sbh15
08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Revis is reportedly close to agreeing to a deal with the Jets...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5494501

On Sunday, The Dallas Morning News reported that Revis was close to a new deal and would report by Wednesday. On Tuesday, the paper reported that Revis' agents were to meet Tuesday night with Jets officials.

There was no meeting scheduled, according to a league source. Also Tuesday, AOL Fanhouse reported that a new contract is "almost there." Another twist in the story: The Morning News said Revis taped a TV interview that will air Wednesday.

On Wednesday, the third episode of HBO's "Hard Knocks" will air. Revis' agents have been flooded with interview requests, but they turned down NFL Films (the producer of "Hard Knocks") early in camp and it's unlikely they changed their minds.

Revis has three years remaining on his contract and wants to become the highest-paid cornerback in the league, seeking about $16.5 million per year. He has made $15 million in his first three years and is due to make another $21 million over the next three.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Not about not getting hurt, but a team will cut you loose as soon as you are useless to them with no regards to loyalty. So why should the players be so gracious and loyal to organizations that don't care about them?

I know what you mean, it makes no sense to me either.

Guy gets cut, you see a lot of people here going:
"This is a business, he wasn't playing up to his contract and they needed to go in a new direction."

Guy with a laughably low salary for his production holds out, a lot of people say:
"He signed that contract, he should honour it and then get his payday."

I really don't understand why people here, and many football fans all over the continent aren't almost uniformly in the players' corner for the impending labour dispute. I'd rather see a hard working football player that entertains us every week make the cash than an old man in a suit.

AHungryWalrus
08-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I know what you mean, it makes no sense to me either.

Guy gets cut, you see a lot of people here going:
"This is a business, he wasn't playing up to his contract and they needed to go in a new direction."

Guy with a laughably low salary for his production holds out, a lot of people say:
"He signed that contract, he should honour it and then get his payday."

I really don't understand why people here, and many football fans all over the continent aren't almost uniformly in the players' corner for the impending labour dispute. I'd rather see a hard working football player that entertains us every week make the cash than an old man in a suit.

What does the labor dispute have to do with honoring contracts? I am completely on the players side for who should be making more money. But holdouts are ridiculous.

Chucky
08-25-2010, 12:50 AM

But the thing is the "old man in a suit" is gonna "get his" no matter what. If that means passing more expenses to you(the consumer) then so be it.

Another complaint is that if a player forces more money to be allocated to him then that leaves less money to allocate to other players to improve the team

Paranoidmoonduck
08-25-2010, 12:58 AM

People want the players to show as much loyalty to the team as they show. It's not logical, but it's not hard to understand.

Personally, I can't fathom why fans care much about the money in the first place.

brat316
08-25-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't care who gets money and who doesn't just play and don't lock out.

Saints-Tigers
08-25-2010, 01:37 AM
If the reports of wanting 160 million are true, he really should GTFO though.

Not t hat I don't think the players deserve the money, but this guy thinks he's worth more than any player, and a LOT more than any player? Come on man.

SenorGato
08-25-2010, 04:54 AM
If the reports of wanting 160 million are true, he really should GTFO though.

Not t hat I don't think the players deserve the money, but this guy thinks he's worth more than any player, and a LOT more than any player? Come on man.

What he's doing is good in the long run for players...raises the pay scale in a league that could have afforded this years ago...We flip on the players who make alot of money but they only make what the owners can easily afford to give them.

Saints-Tigers
08-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Fair point.

Vox Populi
08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Revis is great, but is not worth the money his agent is axing for. Good for the Jets for not buckling.

Kill yourself.

AHungryWalrus
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
My main problem with Revis through all of this, is that he goes on about how it's an issue of "feeding his family". Shut the hell up. It's greed and pride, and you don't have to come straight up and say it, but don't give me other BS.

And then go on Twitter (WHILE YOU ARE SAYING YOU NEED THE CONTRACT TO FEED YOUR FAMILY) and say this:

@RichGlassen brother i can buy any car i want, i aint hurtin for money.

Splat
08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't have a problem with Vet's getting paid it's rookies making more then Vet's that makes me mad.

yourfavestoner
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't have a problem with Vet's getting paid it's rookies making more then Vet's that makes me mad.

At the same time, though, it's those rookie contracts that have really driven up the pay scale for veterans. It's a chicken and egg argument.

I do agree, though, that the top ten picks of the draft's salaries are totally and completely out of whack.

'cuse-213
08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
My main problem with Revis through all of this, is that he goes on about how it's an issue of "feeding his family". Shut the hell up. It's greed and pride, and you don't have to come straight up and say it, but don't give me other BS.

And then go on Twitter (WHILE YOU ARE SAYING YOU NEED THE CONTRACT TO FEED YOUR FAMILY) and say this:

Any links? Haven't seen Revis say a word about anything. Must be because I don't follow twitter I guess

AHungryWalrus
08-25-2010, 06:43 PM
http://twitter.com/revis24

Like 11 posts down.

'cuse-213
08-25-2010, 07:26 PM
http://twitter.com/revis24

Like 11 posts down.

I meant him saying stuff like he needs to feed his family. Revis isn't that kind of guy, he's more straight up

AHungryWalrus
08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I meant him saying stuff like he needs to feed his family. Revis isn't that kind of guy, he's more straight up

He made them in an interview. You're on your own finding that, but just google "Revis" and "Feed my family" and you'll see a lot of people mocking him.

soybean
09-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Uh... I don't know if this is official or not but... according to RichCimini's twitter Darrelle Revis agrees to richest contract for a defensive player in NFL history. The holdouts ends.

Adam Schefter
Darrelle Revis is scheduled to be at the Jets training facility tomorrow to sign the deal. Numbers likely to be a team, but not NFL record.

JRTPlaya21
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I knew he wouldn't miss week 1...

descendency
09-06-2010, 12:12 AM
C'Mon 4 years 100 million with 50 million guaranteed.

soybean
09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I hope he gets lit up this year, that'd be ironically funny.

Smooth Criminal
09-06-2010, 12:21 AM
They have to reach a deal. Hes the best player on their defense and he deserves to be the highest paid corner.

If I was him I'd demand it too. The entire Jets organization touted him as the best corner in the league and the best defensive player. Time to step up and pay him like it. A deal had to happen, it made no sense for either side to miss a game.

katnip
09-06-2010, 12:46 AM
They have to reach a deal. Hes the best player on their defense and he deserves to be the highest paid corner.

If I was him I'd demand it too. The entire Jets organization touted him as the best corner in the league and the best defensive player. Time to step up and pay him like it. A deal had to happen, it made no sense for either side to miss a game.

Several sources are reporting they reached a deal

dan77733
09-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Personally, with THREE years left on his rookie contract, I woulnt pay him a damn thing. I would let him sit out the entire season and then trade his ass to the team that has the worst defense and next thing you know, no one would ever here about or from him ever again.

In the next CBA, there needs to be some major changes because a player who's under contract shouldnt be permitted to holdout and if he does, he should not only forfeit his salary for that season but once the season starts, he should be forced to miss the entre season as well and obviously not have it count as an accrued season.

Money wise, there definitely needs to be a rookie pay scale because a rookie getting $50m guaranteed is ******* insane. Also, there should be a rule that states that no player can get extended if he has two or more years left on his contract because this is what happens if there is no such rule.

And quite honestly, I said it in another topic and im going to say it here. Revis isnt even the best cover corner in the league. It's Nnamdi Asomugha in my opinion and he's on a defense that was in the bottom ten last season. Put Revis on the Lions or Rams and within a year, no one would even know that he still exists. Ryan has overhyped Revis so much that its just nuts.

Oh well, when the Jets go 6-10 and miss the playoffs and everyone gets fired, im going to laugh my ass off. What makes it even better is that I live in NY. Oh man, I cant wait. LOL.

AHungryWalrus
09-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Oh well, when the Jets go 6-10 and miss the playoffs and everyone gets fired, im going to laugh my ass off. What makes it even better is that I live in NY. Oh man, I cant wait. LOL.

Hahahaha, 6-10. Jets probably won't live up to their billing, but I bet you anything they have a better record than 6-10.

As for Revis being bad on the Lions, no. Just no. Revis, at worst, is the second best corner in the league.

09-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Personally, with THREE years left on his rookie contract, I woulnt pay him a damn thing. I would let him sit out the entire season and then trade his ass to the team that has the worst defense and next thing you know, no one would ever here about or from him ever again.

In the next CBA, there needs to be some major changes because a player who's under contract shouldnt be permitted to holdout and if he does, he should not only forfeit his salary for that season but once the season starts, he should be forced to miss the entre season as well and obviously not have it count as an accrued season.

Then should teams be allowed to cut guys? I mean, they're under contract, right?

AntoinCD
09-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Hahahaha, 6-10. Jets probably won't live up to their billing, but I bet you anything they have a better record than 6-10.

As for Revis being bad on the Lions, no. Just no. Revis, at worst, is the second best corner in the league.

Well for starters you could make legitimate arguements that both Woodson and Asomghua are above him.

Also if you put any corner on a team with a horrible pass rush then chances are they are going to look poor. There is only so long even the best CBs can stay with their man.

Razor
09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Then should teams be allowed to cut guys? I mean, they're under contract, right?

Yes they should, but I still don't like all these young players holding out because they've "outperformed" their contract. Instead the league should look into rookie contract length. Signing 6 year deals is a huge gamble for both the player and the team. Three years would be a nice length for the first contract - teams will have enough time to evaluate the player and the player will have had time to establish himself.

brat316
09-06-2010, 09:21 AM
They can cut guys because of the guaranteed money.

AHungryWalrus
09-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Well for starters you could make legitimate arguements that both Woodson and Asomghua are above him.

Also if you put any corner on a team with a horrible pass rush then chances are they are going to look poor. There is only so long even the best CBs can stay with their man.

The Jets pass rush was extremely overrated last year. Especially the first four weeks without Pace in. We blitzed more than every team in the league, and still ended up middle of the pack in sacks. That should tell you something.

As for Woodson being a better corner, no. Maybe a better safety, but not a better corner.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/stat-day-2009-cb-charting-stats

The only argument to be made is that Nnamdi is better, and that's based on a) Years of consistency, and b) times thrown at.

However, times thrown at is skewed. It's easier to avoid Nnamdi than Revis. Teams playing the Raiders can simply swap their best receiver to the other side and get a favorable match up. This year if Nnamdi follows number ones around like they say they're going to let him, then we will see his times thrown at number grow.

Regardless, I believe Revis is the best corner in the NFL. I can see and recognize the argument of Scrabble being better as legit. They really are 1a/b.

hockey619
10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
BUMP

soooo.....hes looked pretty bad this year so far. Harvin turned him inside out when they played the vikings as did some other random dude, moss beat him deep (fine he was hurt), and he got beat last night bad too.

Basically it looks like the holdout really hurt him more than he thought it would. Am i missin something or did he come crashing back down to earth in a big way? Is it the injury? Whats up?

yourfavestoner
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Hamstrings are pretty damn important for a cornerback.

AHungryWalrus
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
His coverage against the Broncos was good, he was always in the right spot... He just seemed to be missing that play making ability from last year. Hopefully thats just explosiveness / hamstring related, and he regains that form.

Otherwise, we just re signed a guy who cares more about talking about how he is the best corner in football, than playing like the best corner in football.

Hurricanes25
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Revis is coming around. He looked much better against the Broncos and I think he's just starting to get into football shape.

And as YFS said, hamstrings are pretty important for a CB.

hockey619
10-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Revis is coming around. He looked much better against the Broncos and I think he's just starting to get into football shape.

And as YFS said, hamstrings are pretty important for a CB.

Didnt he get burned by Thomas (the rookie) for a touchdown? idk i thought he still got beat for plays quite a few times.

Eh if this is all his hammy he shouldve stayed out imo i dont think hes doing them a lot of good, it even looked like the broncos were going after him at times.

Hurricanes25
10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Didnt he get burned by Thomas (the rookie) for a touchdown? idk i thought he still got beat for plays quite a few times.

Eh if this is all his hammy he shouldve stayed out imo i dont think hes doing them a lot of good, it even looked like the broncos were going after him at times.

I wouldn't say Thomas burned him. Revis was with him step for step. Orton just threw a perfect pass and honestly I don't even think it was a catch. If that play would have been reviewed, it might've come back. Thomas was juggling the ball.

10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I remember the Thomas TD and there was a catch by Gaffney too. Both times Revis had perfect position, nothing he could have done on the Thomas catch, and he just barely missed breaking up the one to Gaffney.

LonghornsLegend
10-18-2010, 12:23 PM
He has been getting better, I highly doubt he's 100% but I disagree he's hurting the team right now, he's still a very good CB.

That being said, if anyone was expecting him to even match the play of last year you were going to be let down. He wasn't going to duplicate a season that good, especially not with a holdout, it's very rare for CB's to have back to back shutdown seasons.

gsorace
10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
If the Thomas TD was reviewed it would have been over turned, the Jets didn't challenge because they had just lost a challenge. The refs were terrible all game...except on the 4th down PI call, that was a good call.

Denver Bronco56
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
If the Thomas TD was reviewed it would have been over turned, the Jets didn't challenge because they had just lost a challenge. The refs were terrible all game...except on the 4th down PI call, that was a good call.

The catch could have gone either way, but Revis was targeted 9 times i believe it said during the game and 7 of them were completed....the hamstring might be the reason but the broncos def. picked on him