PDA

View Full Version : Your top ten safeties of the 2000's.

Ness
08-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Here are mine:

1. Brian Dawkins
2. Ed Reed
3. Rodney Harrison
4. Troy Polamalu
5. John Lynch
6. Darren Sharper
7. Adrian Wilson
9. Bob Sanders
9. Donovan Darius
10. Mike Minter

I had a difficult time leaving Lawyer Milloy out. Let's hear your choices.

Bengalsrocket
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I know his career was short but I was expecting Sean Taylor to be on this list.

Ness
08-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I know his career was short but I was expecting Sean Taylor to be on this list.

I was thinking about adding him as well. He definitely made an impact while he was alive. I probably could have put him above Minter and Darius at least.

Bengals78
08-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I second the ST notion.
ROY L WILLIAMS!!!!!

The Unseen
08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Donovan Darius on this list makes me a happy panda

Brodeur
08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Needs more Mark Roman.

gpngc
08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Mike after dinner Minter!

Brent
08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Needs more Mark Roman.
haha.

Sean Taylor? Really? I know he died tragically and all but he only played 3 years.

Splat
08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Ed Reed

Everyone else.

prock
08-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Ed Reed is pretty clearly number one. After that, any order of Dawkins, Lynch, Sharper, Harrison, or Polamalu is acceptable for me.

Brent
08-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Honorable mention: Michael Lewis.

Brown Leader
08-04-2010, 11:29 PM
1-10

Ed Reed
Brian Dawkins
Troy Polamalu
Darren Sharper
Rodney Harrison
Adrian Wilson
Donovon Darius
John Lynch
Bob Sanders
Roy Williams

Bob would be much higher if he could stay on the field.

XxXdragonXxX
08-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Roy Williams....seriously?

Unless we're talking most overrated players of all time, he should be nowhere near a top 10 list.

7DnBrnc53
08-05-2010, 05:40 AM
1. Ed Reed
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Brian Dawkins
4. Darren Sharper
5. Adrian Wilson
6. Bob Sanders
7. John Lynch
8. Kerry Rhodes
9. Donovin Darius
10. Mike Brown

fenikz
08-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Wilson > Poly

sadly media hates AZ

tenorx
08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
It should start with Troy Polamalu, then Ed Reed. Troy is just simply awesome in everything he does.

K Train
08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I dont know about that....troy is great and neither can stay on the field very good but ed has the picks and TDs over troy.

and troy has not always been simply awesome in everything he does...he went like 3 years only having one pick before his incredible 2008 year and he whiffed on 90% of his tackle making the pro bowl on only his long recognizable hair....thats when he was training like a figure skater and playing at <210 pounds though....he killed it when he was training like a football player and played like 217-220 pounds

wonderbredd24
08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Wilson > Poly

sadly media hates AZ

Most underrated safety in the league, hands down

K Train
08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Most underrated safety in the league, hands down

eh, he was underrated like 3 years ago, you can only be underrated so long before you are rated just fine

21ST
08-05-2010, 07:54 AM
haha.

Sean Taylor? Really? I know he died tragically and all but he only played 3 years.

You can make a pretty good argument that he was the best while he was alive though

K Train
08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
the year before he died he gave up the most TDs of any DB...including roy williams. he didnt really start to show greatness until his last year imo, and while i do believe that if he were playing now hed be the unquestioned best....its kind of hard to squeeze someone who never really became anything other than a big name until his final year alive onto this list...jmo

killxswitch
08-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Bob Sanders

- 47 games played
- 13 passes defended
- 6 INTs
- 2 forced fumbles

Sean Taylor

- 56 games played
- 34 passes defended
- 12 INTs
- 8 forced fumbles

Interesting, huh? That of course doesn't factor in Sanders' magical 2006 playoff performance or his 2007 DPOY season. So you can't strictly go by the numbers. But Sanders' stats are not particularly impressive. Damn injuries.

K Train
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
that is pretty interesting, however ill give sanders the credit of being one of the best tackling safeties ive ever seen which is an overlooked attribute of his

Splat
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
eh, he was underrated like 3 years ago, you can only be underrated so long before you are rated just fine

Agreed.

He was underrated for along time but not any more.

killxswitch
08-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Agreed.

He was underrated for along time but not any more.

He stopped being underrated when the Cardinals started making noise in the post season. Before that nobody bothered watching the Cardinals because they sucked so they weren't on national TV much. Being so far west didn't help either.

21ST
08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
the year before he died he gave up the most TDs of any DB...including roy williams. he didnt really start to show greatness until his last year imo, and while i do believe that if he were playing now hed be the unquestioned best....its kind of hard to squeeze someone who never really became anything other than a big name until his final year alive onto this list...jmo

Taylor spent most of the year before he died trying to save everybodys ass because of their **** ups. How didnt he show greatness before his last year, he had taken a team to the playoffs, he got the team a playoff win by himself? If he was never anything other than a big name before his last year how many safety's do you think were better than him while he was alive?

K Train
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Taylor spent most of the year before he died trying to save everybodys ass because of their **** ups. How didnt he show greatness before his last year, he had taken a team to the playoffs, he got the team a playoff win by himself? If he was never anything other than a big name before his last year how many safety's do you think were better than him while he was alive?

i didnt say he wasnt good, i was a huge ST fan...but i dont think he really got it together until his last year and im not sure that warrants making a list for the best safeties of an entire decade

RufusMcDaniel
08-05-2010, 09:04 AM
No list is complete without Lamont Thompson

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1029/nfl_zoom_barber.jpg

Ehhhh, there weren't very good pictures of him

21ST
08-05-2010, 09:09 AM
i didnt say he wasnt good, i was a huge ST fan...but i dont think he really got it together until his last year and im not sure that warrants making a list for the best safeties of an entire decade

You said he never became anything more than a big name until his last year. So is it because he doesnt have enough stats or are you basing it off of how good they actually were?

K Train
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
You said he never became anything more than a big name until his last year. So is it because he doesnt have enough stats or are you basing it off of how good they actually were?

im saying he was a huge name out of college and that might have overrated him a little bit his first 2 years, but his play was actually brilliant his last year and he took steps towards greatness. take it for what it is, im not bashing taylor ability i was a huge fan, i just dont think he can be on an all decade list, its not really anything against him, the man had elite ability but he just wanst around long enough

jayceheathman
08-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Unless we're talking most overrated players of all time, he should be nowhere near a top 10 list.

haha I am 99.9% sure he was joking.

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Taylor was not a dominant player until near the end really. He was extremely inconsistent and a lot of people wanted to see a lot more out of him. He turned his game up some notches, died, and now I've heard people say he was the greatest football player they ever saw play.

LonghornsLegend
08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I second the ST notion.
ROY L WILLIAMS!!!!!

This. Just look at his pro bowls, plus he hits hard!1!!!!11

descendency
08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
1. Ed Reed
2. Rodney Harrison
-- gap --
3. Troy Polamalu
-- gap --
4. Brian Dawkins
5. Darren Sharper
6. Adrian Wilson
7. John Lynch
8. Donovon Darius
9. Lawyer Milloy
10. Sean Taylor (yea, short career but extremely good production over those years)

I left off Bob Sanders because he is hurt most of the time and Roy Williams because he sucks.

For those of you who don't remember: only 1 player has 30 INTs and 30 Sacks in his career. Guess which of the top 10 that is. I'll give you a hint: It isn't Ed Reed.

Ness
08-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Honorable mention: Michael Lewis.

Mike Brown as well.

Brown Leader
08-06-2010, 01:58 AM

Ughh scratch that. For some reason I was thinking Roy came into the league in 2000 and had 5-6 solid seasons. And Harrison > Sharper

Ed Reed
Brian Dawkins
Troy Polamalu
Rodney Harrison
Darren Sharper
Adrian Wilson
Donovon Darius
John Lynch
Bob Sanders
Sean Taylor

Job
08-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Taylor was not a dominant player until near the end really. He was extremely inconsistent and a lot of people wanted to see a lot more out of him. He turned his game up some notches, died, and now I've heard people say he was the greatest football player they ever saw play.

That's pretty much like Dimebag becoming one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Or that whole Cobain worshipping. Nothing is better for a reputation than dying young.

RagingColt
08-06-2010, 07:43 AM
As much as I like Bobzilla, he's not a top 10 player of the decade position wise cause of injuries. I don't consider a couple of good seasons to equal all decade.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 07:52 AM
1. Brian Dawkins
2. Ed Reed
3. Rodney Harrison
4. Troy Polamalu
5. John Lynch
6. Darren Sharper
7. Adrian Wilson
9. Bob Sanders
9. Donovan Darius
10. Mike Minter

#1- Polamalu
#2- Reed
#3- Dawkins
gap
#4- Sharper
#5- Lynch
#6- Wilson
#7- Harrison
#8- Milloy
#9- Mike Brown
#10- Collins
#10b- OJ Atogwe

I loved Taylor and Sanders, but like the HOF, these guys just didn't do it enough in that decade.
Sanders if he could ever stay healthy, surely woul dbe in the top 3 or 5.
Sean was a beast, but wasn't allowed to play long enough.

Is Nick Collins a homer pick? That guy produces.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
#9- Mike Brown

EVERYONE PLUS REP THIS MAN TO ABSOLUTELY NO END!!!

Ok, but seriously, Brown had more of an impact on the Bears defense when healthy than even Urlacher imo.

Key words being "when healthy" as he was only healthy for a select few seasons. But damn did he look good when he was out there.

And I'm starting to think that Troy is being overrated just a little bit. He'd still be on a top 10 list for sure, but having him near the very top with the likes of Ed Reed? A little high imo. Plus he doesn't play a true safety role like the vast majority of the other guys on these lists.

killxswitch
08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
And I'm starting to think that Troy is being overrated just a little bit. He'd still be on a top 10 list for sure, but having him near the very top with the likes of Ed Reed? A little high imo. Plus he doesn't play a true safety role like the vast majority of the other guys on these lists.

Look at Pittsburgh's defensive flopping last year when Polamalu went down. He obviously serves an important role on that team. Even with guys like CAsey Hampton, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, etc, without Polamalu the defense's effectiveness took a nosedive.

He may play like a S/LB hybrid at times but I don't think that means he shouldn't be on the list. He is a different type of safety than Ed Reed.

YAYareaRB
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
B Dawk was a monster for most of this decade.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Look at Pittsburgh's defensive flopping last year when Polamalu went down. He obviously serves an important role on that team. Even with guys like CAsey Hampton, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, etc, without Polamalu the defense's effectiveness took a nosedive.

He may play like a S/LB hybrid at times but I don't think that means he shouldn't be on the list. He is a different type of safety than Ed Reed.

Ah, see, no. Missing Polamalu hurt the Steelers in that they couldn't do the variety of things they normally do on defense, but quite honestly, an injury that hurt even more was Aaron Smith going down. They just didn't have anyone to replace him, and it noticeably took it's toll on the rest of the front 7.

Now, let me make this perfectly clear, I did say that Polamalu should absolutely be in the top 10, and the Steelers were without question worse off without him. However, to see lists where he is placed ahead of someone like Reed is just wrong to me. If given the choice between an in-his-prime Reed and an in-his-prime Polamalu, I'd take Reed 10 out of 10 times.

K Train
08-06-2010, 12:02 PM
an injury that hurt even more was Aaron Smith going down.
truth.....

CC.SD
08-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Dawkins is getting shafted in this thread big time.

descendency
08-06-2010, 05:06 PM

When you consider how important most people view a safety and then look at how the Steelers perform with and without Troy, I think the conclusion is obvious.

He's one of the best players on one of the best defenses in the 2000s decade, maybe the best over the decade (not a single season).

Sniper
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Dawkins is getting shafted in this thread big time.

Seriously. There's no ******* way Polamalu should be ahead of him.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 05:13 PM
When you consider how important most people view a safety and then look at how the Steelers perform with and without Troy, I think the conclusion is obvious.

He's one of the best players on one of the best defenses in the 2000s decade, maybe the best over the decade (not a single season).
Agreed. TP is the glue to that defense and for 3-4 years now I have considered him the best player in the NFL, non-QB.
I think their defense last year proved that.

They still had Harrison, Woodley, Hampton.... 3 stars, but missing the real Polamalu last year, their defense was not Steeler-like at all.

And I love Brian Dawkins. He made an open-field, one-on-one tackle of Ahman Green in the 2004 NFC divisional playoff game near the end of the first half that cost us a TD and ultimately the game. I don't think any other DB iin football, from Reed to Sanders to Polamalu, would have made that tackle, and like BD's whole career, it didn't get the recognition & credit it deserved.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Dawkins is easily 2. I have Reed 1, but might be swayed with Dawkins if you catch me on the right day.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Miss my later post noting Aaron Smith's injury? Without Troy, that defense couldn't get as creative with blitzing and such, but the whole front 7 just played worse without Smith there as an anchor.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Miss my later post noting Aaron Smith's injury? Without Troy, that defense couldn't get as creative with blitzing and such, but the whole front 7 just played worse without Smith there as an anchor.
True, and I get that. The front 3 in that scheme do their work quietly, but it's very important.

The think about Troy that makes him great is that he makes great plays, huge plays. His playmaking ability has swayed games, many times.
I've seen him make unbelievable plays on the ball, into the WR, and on the RB and QB behind the LOS.

fenikz
08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
He stopped being underrated when the Cardinals started making noise in the post season. Before that nobody bothered watching the Cardinals because they sucked so they weren't on national TV much. Being so far west didn't help either.

and those were his prime years, he has always been better than Poly, just never got the coverage in his prime that Poly did

04 102 Tackles, 11 PD, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 3 INT
05 109 Tackles, 9 PD, 8 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT
06 83 Tackles, 11 PD, 5 Sacks, 4 FF, 4 INT

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM
True, and I get that. The front 3 in that scheme do their work quietly, but it's very important.

The think about Troy that makes him great is that he makes great plays, huge plays. His playmaking ability has swayed games, many times.
I've seen him make unbelievable plays on the ball, into the WR, and on the RB and QB behind the LOS.

I've also seen him make his fair share of terrible misses too. Giving up something big going for the pick or big hit. You'll likely have that to some degree with all good safeties, but Troy can be really hit or miss.

I don't want this to be confused with me calling him a bad player or anything, he is damn good. Him healthy would absolutely be an upgrade for many teams.

If given the option though, I'd take a more traditional elite safety like an in-his-prime Reed over Polamalu to be on my team.

descendency
08-06-2010, 05:30 PM

While that's true, Troy has missed time in the past and the team suffered similarly.

edit: At least I thought they did... Just looked it up 6-2 when he missed time in 07 and 06.

Sniper
08-06-2010, 05:38 PM
And I love Brian Dawkins. He made an open-field, one-on-one tackle of Ahman Green in the 2004 NFC divisional playoff game near the end of the first half that cost us a TD and ultimately the game. I don't think any other DB iin football, from Reed to Sanders to Polamalu, would have made that tackle, and like BD's whole career, it didn't get the recognition & credit it deserved.

He also killed Alge Crumpler in that run to the Super Bowl. That was pretty sweet.

Michigan
08-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Personally, I prefer Dawkins to Reed. More complete player, though Reed had more game-changing ability.

1. Dawkins
2. Reed
3. Polamalu
4. Harrison
5. Sharper
6. Lynch
7. Wilson
8. Darius
9. Milloy
10. Collins?

Sniper
08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Michigan, where is that epic quote in your sig from?

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
One thing that sticks out most vividly is when Brian Dawkins destroyed Ike Hilliard's collarbone.

Michigan
08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Michigan, where is that epic quote in your sig from?

i'm facebook friends with the guy lol

Mr. Goosemahn
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
1. Polamalu

GAP

Everyone else.

When it comes to hair.

When it comes to play, Polamalu is a top 5 player based on 3 season of play, really. He's been in the league for 7, but was not that good as a rookie, nor during the 07/08 campaign (lingering injuries), and barely played this past year. That leaves the spectacular run he had in 08/09 (Superbowl), the great season he had in 05/06 (Superbowl), and the 04/05 season (AFC Championship vs. Patriots). The 06/07 season was good for him, but it was a bad season for Pitt, so there's probably some garbage stats in there somewhere.

That's why I don't see how Polamalu can be #1 or #2 for that matter, #3 arguably. Dawkins, Reed, Harrison, all of them were dominant for much larger stretches of time, so out of non-homerness I guess I'd place them above Polamalu.

The homer in me still wants to say that Polamalu is the #1 safety in the league right now, and that he's the player opponent offenses have to account for the most in the league, but I'll leave my homerness out of this.