PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell: Fans have made it clear, they don't like preseason

scpanther22
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I like the preseason myself.Not big on 18 games
"The fans have made it incredibly clear that they don't like preseason games," Goodell said. "So the idea of staying within the 20-game format and taking two preseason games and converting them to regular season games has a lot of appeal. But you have to do it in a comprehensive fashion that is going to ensure that the game stays safe for our players, and that we maintain the kind of quality or improve on the quality that we're doing."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/roger-goodell-fans-have-made-it-clear-they-dont-like-preseason/

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
We made it clear we don't like Goodell, but he sure isn't firing himself.

Go_Eagles77
08-06-2010, 01:46 PM
He's using the fans as an excuse, but all this comes down to is it's a way to get the NFL more money.

M.O.T.H.
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Piss off Goodell. I like the preseason...and some of these later round or undrafted guys need all the time they can get to make an impression.

Dallas has a bunch of these guys playing key roles on the team right now...if preseason was cut years ago, we may not have some of our best players today.

Tony Romo: undrafted
Miles Austin: undrafted
Patrick Crayton: 7th round
Sam Hurd: undrafted
Kevin Ogletree: undrafted
Jay Ratliff: 7th round
Stephen Bowen: undrafted
Alan Ball: 7th round
Mat Mcbriar: undrafted

That's only 5 starters...4 of which are pro bowlers. They all earned their way on, cutting preseason down is asinine.

Paul
08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
We also don't like you ******* with the Draft time.

M.O.T.H.
08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
For real. He pisses me off with all these changes and it's all about the dollar. So I guess, from that standpoint, he's doing a pretty damn good job, but yeah...**** off, Goodell. Stop changing the things I love.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
We also don't like you ******* with the Draft time.
^ THAT comment I totally agree with.

Let's cut the window-dressing here for a moment, FOUR or FIVE preseason games is way too much. And season ticket holders are charged the same for that garbage as they are week 17 games. WTH?

You like college where the first game counts? I do. You can tell who's had good, productive practices in that first week, and it counts in the standings.

But if you want preseason, then 2 practice games is enough.

MizzouBig12
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Which "fans" is he talking about? The casual fan who can't tell the difference between the two Adrian Petersons or the fans (like most folks here at DCD) who are passionate and knowledgeable about the game??

TitanHope
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
****... I must've missed the vote.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Which "fans" is he talking about? The casual fan who can't tell the difference between the two Adrian Petersons or the fans (like most folks here at DCD) who are passionate and knowledgeable about the game??

The casual rich guy who buys tickets so he can be seen at a social event, not us guys that download torrents and find ways to pirate Sunday ticket so we can watch as many games as possible.

Shahin
08-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Am i the only person who actually enjoys the preseason games?

M.O.T.H.
08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
^ THAT comment I totally agree with.

Let's cut the window-dressing here for a moment, FOUR or FIVE preseason games is way too much. And season ticket holders are charged the same for that garbage as they are week 17 games. WTH?

You like college where the first game counts? I do. You can tell who's had good, productive practices in that first week, and it counts in the standings.

But if you want preseason, then 2 practice games is enough.

How is 2 games enough? If you only have 2 games, the starters will have to play more. There are plenty of fantastic players around the league that only got there start from performing well in camp and preseason. As I mentioned before, Dallas has 4 pro bowlers, who earned there way on the team from performing in preseason games.

Granted, if you play 18 games...they'll have to extend rosters. But a lot of these young guys will never see the light of day. You see these guys do well in camp and then you need to see that translate to the field...these preseason games are huge for these guys.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 02:09 PM

I still watch as many as I can.

Ravens1991
08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
The fans dont like how goodell decided to piss around and do stupid **** like change the NFL logo, and other meaningless things when we need a CBA. He is such a tool I cant stand him.

If you dont like pre-season dont watch. Preseason is good for the coaches evaluating the players battling for back ups and special teams. You never know when you will need them.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Apparently NOT!
Apparently I am the only one who doesn't.

What I hate about preason games is I basically watch them holding my breath, just praying that my guys don't tear ACLs for something that doesn't count anyway.

Also, I hate it when a guy does great, as great as he could possibly do, and he still gets f***ed, cut. Last year for example our rookie RB Tyrell Sutton looked like Darren Sproles to me.

But the media and the team seemed to feel it was because he was playing against non-starters, so they cut him.
That guy couldn't have done anymore to earn a job than he did.

Also, I remember Tony Romo and Miles Austin getting rave reviews from practices. People gotta remember, for every hour on the field in a practice game, they'd practiced for 10-20 hours with coaches watching.... they can tell a guy can play or not in intrasquad practices and scrimmages.

Again, I'm still bitter that Tyrell Sutton wasn't kept.

Ness
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I like preseason games. It gives the younger players opportunities when there really aren't that many. Having 18 regular season games is going to screw that up.

LizardState
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
He's using the fans as an excuse, but all this comes down to is it's a way to get the NFL more money.

Ladies & gentlemen we have a winnah...... nailed it.

No way in hell is the NFLPA going to sign up for more regular season games without huge salary increases b/c of the shortening of their multi-million-$ careers, the NFL pays with gamechecks you know.

Given the impasse over no CBA in place & the global economy in the toilet, this could lead to the 2nd NFL strike & lockout. I realize that's worst case, but Goddell is a greedhead bureaucrat & he's dorking up the whole league.

M.O.T.H.
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes...camp/practice performance matters as well...but in most cases, you want to see that carry over to the preseason games. Some guys excel during camp, but never actually put it together in live games. Cutting out two games is a killer for these type of guys.

In Austin's case...they were intrigued enough from camp alone to carry him over...but the other guys I mentioned, all had great preseason performances, in addition to great camps.

Ravens1991
08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
It seems all the players hate the idea of 18 games. Could it be a plot like this.

NFL demands 18 games and something else(say no salary cap just hypothetically)

Players want a salary cap(hypothetically remember) but hate 18 games a lot.

Well the NFL will say, we will take away th 18 games as long as you agree to no salary cap.

I hope that this 18 game idea is just a front to get the deal worked out.

CLong4Heisman
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
When they do go to 18, I would like to see
1. An expansion of active rosters from 53 to maybe 65.
2. 2 bye weeks
3. An earlier start to the season so the Super Bowl is not in March
4. Guaranteed contracts like the other sports. Football is the only sport that doesn't guarantee contracts and the expanded season would result in pretty much everyone asking for more money anyway.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
It seems all the players hate the idea of 18 games. Could it be a plot like this.

NFL demands 18 games and something else(say no salary cap just hypothetically)

Players want a salary cap(hypothetically remember) but hate 18 games a lot.

Well the NFL will say, we will take away th 18 games as long as you agree to no salary cap.

I hope that this 18 game idea is just a front to get the deal worked out.

If anything, it seems like the league is piling up bargaining chips while the players chips are all going to be money.

The NFL can get this, but they have to shave off another slice of the money pie to the players. The NFL wants something else? Another slice to the players.

Give the players enough % of the money and they'll agree to anything. It's going to be about finding that balance for the owners to get as much as they want while spending only as much as they want to.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2010, 02:52 PM
The injury lists are going to be so huge entering the post season in this scenario.

Superbowl will be even more about who can get healthy, as opposed to who the best team is.

Mr.Regular
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Okay, heres an idea.
What we know:

-Most people hate how long the preseason is.
-18 games is too much for the regular season when factoring in fatigure, quality of play, meaningless games with brutal teams and clinched teams, and
injuries.
-The NFL wants to find a way to expand revenues.
-The biggest moneymaker is the TV revenue, not in stadium profits.

So, is this a viable solution?
Go 3 preseason games, expand the regular season by one week and give every team 2 byes.
That means we'd need a total of 64 byes given out through 18 weeks.
You could split that up into 11 weeks, (6 teams 10 weeks, 4 teams 1 week), say weeks 4 through 14, with everyone playing weeks 1,2,3,15,16,17,18.

We add a week of TV revenue.
We cut the presason down.
We maintain the 16 game schedule.
And, BONUS, we give the players an extra bit of rest in the season.

Hurricanes25
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
The casual fans hate the preseason while us hardcore fans like it. We're in the minority here.

MOTH is absolutely right. The late rounders and undrafted players need the preseason to show what they can do.

scpanther22
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Apparently NOT!

What I hate about preason games is I basically watch them holding my breath, just praying that my guys don't tear ACLs for something that doesn't count anyway.

Also, I hate it when a guy does great, as great as he could possibly do, and he still gets f***ed, cut. Last year for example our rookie RB Tyrell Sutton looked like Darren Sproles to me.

But the media and the team seemed to feel it was because he was playing against non-starters, so they cut him.

Also, I remember Tony Romo and Miles Austin getting rave reviews from practices. People gotta remember, for every hour on the field in a practice game, they'd practiced for 10-20 hours with coaches watching.... they can tell a guy can play or not in intrasquad practices and scrimmages.

Now Sutton is tearing it up with the panthers.lol

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Now Sutton is tearing it up with the panthers.lol
Well he's behind the best 1-2 punch RB's in the NFL. The BEST.
Did Tyrell get any carries last year? How did he look?

diabsoule
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Okay, heres an idea.
What we know:

-18 games is too much for the regular season when factoring in fatigure, quality of play, meaningless games with brutal teams and clinched teams, and
injuries.

Go 3 preseason games, expand the regular season by one week and give every team 2 byes.
You could split that up into 11 weeks, (6 teams 10 weeks, 4 teams 1 week), say weeks 4 through 14, with everyone playing weeks 1,2,3,15,16,17,18.

Love this idea. Know what else they could do? Add more teams to the playoffs. Add anywhere between 2-4 teams to the playoff race for each conference.

The case could be made for either 2 or 3 preseason games for evaluation purposes and I can agree with either side. Adding another bye week is critical, imo, especially with the injuries and concussion issues. Adding another week for the playoffs would be something everyone would enjoy. It also makes it more competitive.

Mr.Regular
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Love this idea. Know what else they could do? Add more teams to the playoffs. Add anywhere between 2-4 teams to the playoff race for each conference.

The case could be made for either 2 or 3 preseason games for evaluation purposes and I can agree with either side. Adding another bye week is critical, imo, especially with the injuries and concussion issues. Adding another week for the playoffs would be something everyone would enjoy. It also makes it more competitive.
Glad you like the idea.
I get the NFL wants to add more weeks. I get that the preseason is too long,
I dont understand why this isnt talked about.
Adding a regular season week, subtracting a preseason week, but not adding games makes so much sense to me.
You add revenue, get rid of crap games, and give players more rest.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
That's a great idea, and the players association will demand another bye if they are to concede to any stretching of the season/games.

One issue I find though, is that each game (preseason even) generates roughly $4-5 million in ticket sales alone (suites included), plus concessions and memorabilia, etc. so I don't see owners throwing one of these away every year.

I love the idea though Mr.Regular but it says I've given out to much +rep the past 24 hours! If it's the thought that counts, take 1000 points for that detailes improvement.

Mr.Regular
08-06-2010, 03:32 PM
That's a great idea, and the players association will demand another bye if they are to concede to any stretching of the season/games.

One issue I find though, is that each game (preseason even) generates roughly $4-5 million in ticket sales alone (suites included), plus concessions and memorabilia, etc. so I don't see owners throwing one of these away every year.

I love the idea though Mr.Regular but it says I've given out to much +rep the past 24 hours! If it's the thought that counts, take 1000 points for that detailes improvement.
haha no worries on the rep.
With 3 preseason games, youd only miss out on one preseason game every 2 years since youd be getting 2 home games half the time still.
Plus the split TV revenue from an added week would more than make up for it I believe.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I like preseason because you get to see the little known guys who would never play, play. And yeah, many good guys get cut because of room.

You guys have obviously not heard of the legend of Isaac Redman.

He is a god. The end.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I don't like the expand post season idea....I think the NFL has a happy medium when it comes to the playoffs. Just the right amount of teams make it in compared to the NBA where it seems like barely .500 (or worse) teams slip in every year, over half the league, and the overly restrictive MLB with only 4 teams.

And I do have to agree with the point that we are the exception. I like the preseason too, but this board has a lot of hardcore fans and we all love to see the no namers we followed all through the draft hit the field, even if it doesn't count. But 90% of fans hate meaningless football and watching scrubs play.

Brent
08-06-2010, 04:34 PM
watching a team go 1-17 or 2-16 is hardly going to make the league more money.

scpanther22
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Well he's behind the best 1-2 punch RB's in the NFL. The BEST.
Did Tyrell get any carries last year? How did he look?

He did.looked fast

He even started one game at FB when Hoover was out.

Monomach
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Piss off Goodell. I like the preseason...and some of these later round or undrafted guys need all the time they can get to make an impression.

Dallas has a bunch of these guys playing key roles on the team right now...if preseason was cut years ago, we may not have some of our best players today.

Tony Romo: undrafted
Miles Austin: undrafted
Patrick Crayton: 7th round
Sam Hurd: undrafted
Kevin Ogletree: undrafted
Jay Ratliff: 7th round
Stephen Bowen: undrafted
Alan Ball: 7th round
Mat Mcbriar: undrafted

That's only 5 starters...4 of which are pro bowlers. They all earned their way on, cutting preseason down is asinine.
To the contrary, an 18 game season would mean that you get to see MORE of these guys. Rosters would have to be expanded, and you'll see a lot of guys you don't see now because there will be a lot more substitutions and rotations.

He's right in that I hate the preseason and would like more real games. He left out that I hate him and what he did to the draft, though.

Hurricanes25
08-06-2010, 07:34 PM
To the contrary, an 18 game season would mean that you get to see MORE of these guys. Rosters would have to be expanded.

Yeah but they would never see the field. In preseason they are getting a lot of reps and showing what kind of an impact they could make.

Monomach
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah but they would never see the field. In preseason they are getting a lot of reps and showing what kind of an impact they could make.
They would see the field a lot. The rosters would be expanded because they would be needed, not just because. These guys would see more playing time than they do now because rotations would be necessary at almost every position.

wonderbredd24
08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Why can't Roger Goodell just leave things alone... he had to go tweak the draft and made it worse. He's trying to tweak the season, which will make it worse.

Just leave **** alone.

Hurricanes25
08-06-2010, 07:41 PM
They would see the field a lot. The rosters would be expanded because they would be needed, not just because. These guys would see more playing time than they do now because rotations would be necessary at almost every position.

A teams 5th and 6th and maybe even 7th WR are still not going to get many snaps if they extend the season unless there are injuries. And even that's kind of questionable considering they will most likely just be moving up a slot on the depth chart.

descendency
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Why can't Roger Goodell just leave things alone... he had to go tweak the draft and made it worse. He's trying to tweak the season, which will make it worse.

Just leave **** alone.

How was the draft worse? I thought it was more interesting because the period between the 1st and 2nd rounds usually doesn't have much interest. Now, teams had an entire night to try to get deals done for players and fans had the entire night to speculate on who would be drafted at the top of round 2 as well as first round snubs.

I don't think it was a great improvement, but I imagine it was a huge money boost for the NFL.

edit: The NFL NEEDS pre-season, whether the fans want it or not.

Hurricanes25
08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
How was the draft worse? I thought it was more interesting because the period between the 1st and 2nd rounds usually doesn't have much interest. Now, teams had an entire night to try to get deals done for players and fans had the entire night to speculate on who would be drafted at the top of round 2 as well as first round snubs.

I don't think it was a great improvement, but I imagine it was a huge money boost for the NFL.

It's all about tradition. All of us draftniks liked getting up on Saturday and watching hours and hours of the draft.

And yes, it was a huge money boost for the NFL. That's why they did it.

wonderbredd24
08-06-2010, 07:49 PM

Thursday night competing against other TV as well as sports like NBA playoff games is fricking ********. And if I'm a team like Carolina last year, why even watch the 1st round since I don't have a pick.

It takes too damn long. And I don't know about you, but many people like together on a saturday/sunday to watch the draft, eat, drink, etc.

And for all the talk about deals getting done at the top of round 2, no deals were done. None.

The 2 day format was golden... it's Christmas in April. Goodell seems desperate to make it freaking Hannukah. Let's just have 1 round every day for a week. It's just idiotic.

Giantsfan1080
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Goodell's an ass. I'm getting really sick of him and his changing of all these different components. I like preseason games but I wouldn't mind if they went to 3 games. Getting rid of 2 preseason games and adding 2 regular season games is asinine.

M.O.T.H.
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM

How do you figure? They wouldnt see the field at all. The playing time wont be any different. These are two extra real games...the starters will play 17 or 18 weeks on every team, depending on their playoff status.

And seeing these guys in practice, could only help you so much. Preseason actually gives you a chance to see the lesser names in some kind of action. 2 regular season games isnt helping them any. They're not going to play. On the contrary to that...we're going to see statistical records being broken from the players that are starting.

The rosters would need to be expanded for precautionary injury concern, and it's more about the game day roster being expanded. Nothing has been agreed to...but they may just increase game day roster size in the end. And that's only for injury purposes. So unless someone gets hurt...these unproven guys still arent playing. If they're even given the opportunity to be on the team via an expanded roster.

Giantsfan1080
08-06-2010, 07:57 PM
If they really did do this they would have to get rid of IR and make a system more similar to MLB. They would need a 4 game DL, 8 game DL, 12 game DL or something like that.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 07:58 PM
If they really did do this they would have to get rid of IR and make a system more similar to MLB. They would need a 4 game DL, 8 game DL, 12 game DL or something like that.

IR is a looooong overdue to be eradicated system from days long ago before the salary cap...I agree there.

brat316
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
They should also work on tackling in TC, if the want to improve the competitiveness of the game.

Hurricanes25
08-06-2010, 08:02 PM
They should also work on tackling in TC, if the want to improve the competitiveness of the game.

These players should already know how to tackle. Their Pop Warner and HS coaches must be failing there.

Giantsfan1080
08-06-2010, 08:04 PM
IR is a looooong overdue to be eradicated system from days long ago before the salary cap...I agree there.

Yeah the system needs to go anyway as soon as possible. Case in point is Elvis Dumervil right now. He might miss 10 games but they could use him the 2nd half. The Broncos now have to decide whether it's worth it to waste a roster spot on him for all that time.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Meh. The DL makes sense in baseball because the rosters are tiny and a huge portion of those 25 players may see the field in the course of a game. Football teams still have ridiculous amounts of space on that roster. If the Broncos desperately need Dumervil's roster spot then putting him on IR (considering that he'll be back, at best, by mid-December) isn't all that big a deal.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah the system needs to go anyway as soon as possible. Case in point is Elvis Dumervil right now. He might miss 10 games but they could use him the 2nd half. The Broncos now have to decide whether it's worth it to waste a roster spot on him for all that time.

And then if they do stick him on IR, he gets healthy and could help the team late in the year if they somehow manage to stay competative, but because of IR...nope.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Or Denver could just make the decision to role with a 52-man roster.

Hell, they only get to bring 45 guys into each game anyway. So keeping Dumervil off the DL basically trims their inactive player list from 8 to 7. That's not a big deal at all.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 08:19 PM
And then if they do stick him on IR, he gets healthy and could help the team late in the year if they somehow manage to stay competative, but because of IR...nope.
Exactly.
The softball players in MLB have 15-day DLs, 21-day, 60-day, etc. but the brutal NFL only has an IR or nothing?
This killed the Packers last year at CB when they put Pat Lee on IR, not planning on both Al Harris and Brandon Underwood to also go down.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-06-2010, 08:21 PM
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/nfl_money_logo1.png

Giantsfan1080
08-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Or Denver could just make the decision to role with a 52-man roster.

Hell, they only get to bring 45 guys into each game anyway. So keeping Dumervil off the DL basically trims their inactive player list from 8 to 7. That's not a big deal at all.

You've confused me with your last 2 posts. If the Broncos place Dumervil on IR then he is out for the year. He won't be able to return at all until the 2011 season.

On edit: That is a big deal. In the NFL managing injuries is a big part of the season. You rotate guys in and out so depth is very important. Taking one spit away from your roster can have big implications across the whole team.

Splat
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM
The 72 Dolphins would be all for this, I would not but then again I don't like change, and a ton of signal season records would get broke but it wouldn't mean as much sense they had more games to do it.

I know they didn't always play 16 games but still it would be weak in my book.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-06-2010, 08:37 PM
You've confused me with your last 2 posts. If the Broncos place Dumervil on IR then he is out for the year. He won't be able to return at all until the 2011 season.

On edit: That is a big deal. In the NFL managing injuries is a big part of the season. You rotate guys in and out so depth is very important. Taking one spit away from your roster can have big implications across the whole team.

I understand. I'm saying that, first off, that a DL system is vital for baseball rosters to work at all. That simply isn't the case for football. Fielding 24 starters (including punter and kicker) with a 53-man roster is cake compared to what baseball teams deal with.

Furthermore, teams only get to bring 45 guys (plus one emergency guy) into each game anyway. All not placing Dumervil on the IR means for them is that one guy who probably wouldn't make the active roster anyway won't have a spot on the team. That's not nearly as egregious as you people are saying.

Shahin
08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Fans have made it clear, they don't like Roger Goodell.

Complex
08-06-2010, 09:30 PM
The casual rich guy who buys tickets so he can be seen at a social event, not us guys that download torrents and find ways to pirate Sunday ticket so we can watch as many games as possible.

You can pirate sunday ticket?

i don't like the price of NFL sunday Ticket is Goodell gonna lower it?

Complex
08-06-2010, 09:33 PM

I think I am the only that liked the 15minutes between picks so to me he made it worst.

Brent
08-06-2010, 10:27 PM
while it's not allowed to be discussed in detail on this site, there are several streaming sites which upload games.

descendency
08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I think I am the only that liked the 15minutes between picks so to me he made it worst.

I think that was one of the few things you could argue that made it worse. There is just too much dead time for fans. But you could argue that it's like the pre-season, a necessary evil.

i don't like the price of NFL sunday Ticket is Goodell gonna lower it?

You can pirate everything.

I don't know how much the NFL controls the price of the Sunday Ticket package, but due to the popularity of the NFL, I only see it going up.

You can watch game replays the next day for 50 per year (7 times cheaper). Just avoid a TV on Sunday and Monday.

Brothgar
08-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Okay, heres an idea.
What we know:

injuries.

The fans have spoken they want Mr.Regular as commissioner. But one flaw how do you schedule the last game? I mean 18 games would have a set way to do scheduling like 16 games have one. What would you do with the 17th game? Maybe opposite of draft order like 1st pick plays 32nd pick which would make teams play games later in the season to get an easier game at the end of the next year?

XxXdragonXxX
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Exactly.
The softball players in MLB have 15-day DLs, 21-day, 60-day, etc. but the brutal NFL only has an IR or nothing?
This killed the Packers last year at CB when they put Pat Lee on IR, not planning on both Al Harris and Brandon Underwood to also go down.

The NFL's IR used to be different. Before 1993, if you put a guy on IR after the final roster was set, he only had to sit for 4 games. They changed it because teams were using that to stash players on the roster that weren't legitimately hurt. It was actually the owners that pushed for the change.

Shiver
08-06-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't know why people hate Goodell. He has been a huge force for good, progressive change in the NFL. He has made the draft more successful, the pro-bowl more successful, the sport more international, and he has cracked down on the off-the-field offenders. Now he plans to take away two meaningless games. Games that still get charged to the season ticket holders at full price. Games that the players do not get payed as well. It is better for players, fans, the league. The only thing it hurts is any current record holders, because every record in the book would be shattered.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-06-2010, 11:47 PM
People hate Goodell because he's disrupted the consistency the NFL enjoyed under Tags (while still growing at a meteoric rate).

I'm pretty ambivelent to Goodell, but let's not try and overestimate his effect as a response to the hate in this thread. He hasn't made the draft more successful, he just recognized a way to re-organize the presentation. Same thing with the Pro Bowl. Most people don't like the international push, although it's quite honestly my favorite move.

What's always bugged me is the case-by-case basis with his off-the-field incident crackdowns. There's almost no consistency and there's a hyper focus on perception rather than actuality. It annoys me.

The truth is that you'd have to be a gargantuan idiot to be a bad enough commisioner of the NFL to actually hurt it in any real way. Goodell isn't an idiot, but he's probably far too much of a businessman for some people.

BeerBaron
08-06-2010, 11:53 PM
The fans have spoken they want Mr.Regular as commissioner. But one flaw how do you schedule the last game? I mean 18 games would have a set way to do scheduling like 16 games have one. What would you do with the 17th game? Maybe opposite of draft order like 1st pick plays 32nd pick which would make teams play games later in the season to get an easier game at the end of the next year?

I've read a suggestion to that is to have each team play a neutral field game. 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral field for 17 games.

Maybe that one game is played internationaly.....Canada, Mexico, England at first, then branch out. China maybe? Or if not internationally, then get some use out of bigger college stadiums or something. I think it'd be neat to see the Steelers play the Eagles at Beaver Stadium one year. 100,000 plus ready to tear each other apart?

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to do it successfully too.

GB12
08-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't know why people hate Goodell. He has been a huge force for good, progressive change in the NFL. He has made the draft more successful, the pro-bowl more successful, the sport more international, and he has cracked down on the off-the-field offenders. Now he plans to take away two meaningless games. Games that still get charged to the season ticket holders at full price. Games that the players do not get payed as well. It is better for players, fans, the league. The only thing it hurts is any current record holders, because every record in the book would be shattered.
That's a stupid thing to say. NFL players are payed a salary, and a hefty one at that. Preseason is part of it. It's not like they're working for free in the preseason. It's part of the contract they agreed to when they accepted $10 million a year.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-07-2010, 01:00 AM
That's a stupid thing to say. NFL players are payed a salary, and a hefty one at that. Preseason is part of it. It's not like they're working for free in the preseason. It's part of the contract they agreed to when they accepted $10 million a year.

So you think that if the season expanded to 18 games, the players wouldn't have a claim to get 2 games worth of game checks added onto their contract?

GB12
08-07-2010, 01:09 AM
So you think that if the season expanded to 18 games, the players wouldn't have a claim to get 2 games worth of game checks added onto their contract?

I think that's quite a bit different. When they signed the current contracts they were well aware that four preseason games were part of it. It's not like they signed just for 16 days a year. The practices, preseason, and everything else is part of the deal, and that was all established before they agreed to a contract. Going to 18 games is making drastic changes to the deal that the player didn't necessarily agree with and could justify renegotiating the contract.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-07-2010, 01:13 AM
I was just curious about your stance. I actually agree with the points you made.

Forenci
08-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Personally I love pre-season games, but I'm sure we're all bias on the matter as most of us enjoy the draft, thus making pre-season far more interesting and entertaining for us.

For the vast majority of people, I'm sure they hate pre-season or don't care about it. Especially as someone mentioned previously the people whom are forced to pay for the tickets.

prock
08-07-2010, 01:27 AM

I think adding more teams to the playoffs is the worst idea possible.

But anyway, I hate hate hate the idea of a 18 game regular season.

Donno
08-07-2010, 03:49 AM
I think one thing Goodell should change is himself to stop changing ****.

Mr.Regular
08-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks, Id gladly step into the commissioners role.
I was a fan of Goodell at first, but the tinkering is getting to be way too much.

My idea though does not have a 17th game.
We subtract one preseason week, and add a regular season week. But not a 17th game, a second bye.
That way the NFL gets 18 weeks of tv revenue instead of 17, the players get extra rest, the pre season is shortened, and we keep the very good 16 game schedule.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Preseason was the only time i got to see Colt Brennan ZomGzz

nepg
08-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Maybe if they didn't charge full price for pre-season tickets (and parking), more people would show up. Pre-season isn't about the fans, you ******, it's about teams getting a chance to figure out who to keep on their team.

It's like getting rid of Spring Training... You know what will happen if there's only 2 pre-season games? The starters won't play at all (maybe a quarter in one of the games), and the regular season games will be really ****** in the first and last few weeks.

Jvig43
08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
This is stupid, but in reality an 18 game schedule is most likely going to happen.

The Unseen
08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
**** 18 games. goodell you are a *****

Shiver
08-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I wonder if people irrationally hated when the NFL turned two of the pre-season games into regular season games in 1978..

yourfavestoner
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
The problem that I have with more games is teams tanking the last month of a season, as opposed to one or two games. Goodell has already complained about having a more competitive end of the season, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too with this situation. It'll only make it worse.

Brent
08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
The problem that I have with more games is teams tanking the last month of a season, as opposed to one or two games. Goodell has already complained about having a more competitive end of the season, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too with this situation. It'll only make it worse.
That's kind of what I was getting at earlier:

watching a team go 1-17 or 2-16 is hardly going to make the league more money.
If teams are struggling to fill stadiums already, who the **** is going to attend that week 19 game when their team has, to that point, lost 16 games?

Nalej
08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
**** an 18 game schedule.
While I don't watch much pre-season games... I think hate for it to go away.
I know it's all about shoring up those last roster spots and finding gems.

The Unseen
08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
I wonder if people irrationally hated when the NFL turned two of the pre-season games into regular season games in 1978..

I think it's a perfect balance that has worked for awhile is all. nothing irrational about it.

Shiver
08-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Why wasn't 14 perfectly balanced?

Shahin
08-08-2010, 02:47 AM

Seems like a question for our resident geezer.

P-L
08-08-2010, 08:43 AM
People hate this idea because of who came up with it. Just 2-3 years ago there was a huge crowd (on and off this board) who wanted to cut down the preseason games to two or three games. Now because Roger Goodell is actually going to do it, all of these people suddenly love the preseason. If Paul Tagliabue came up with this idea, everyone would be on board with it. As long as the NFL teams give the players more compensation for the longer season, this is a great idea.

nepg
08-08-2010, 08:45 AM
It's a terrible idea, and I'd hate it in any situation.

Brent
08-08-2010, 09:38 AM
People hate this idea because of who came up with it. Just 2-3 years ago there was a huge crowd (on and off this board) who wanted to cut down the preseason games to two or three games. Now because Roger Goodell is actually going to do it, all of these people suddenly love the preseason. If Paul Tagliabue came up with this idea, everyone would be on board with it. As long as the NFL teams give the players more compensation for the longer season, this is a great idea.
I don't think the cutting down of the preseason is that big a deal, it's the lengthening of the regular season that is worrisome.

Saints-Tigers
08-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Not really. I don't care for extra games when most of the NFL at the moment is already about who is the most healthy going into the playoffs, and not who the best team really is.

I also think the balance is basically perfect at the moment. The NFL has it right, it's this popular for a reason, the formula is working.

I don't want to see the sanctity of things like 2000 yards rushing being screwed.

I know people will point to how it used to be 14 games and all, but the league has grown and expanded over the last 30+ years and the 16 game schedule has been perfect IMO.

4 preseason games is fine, or you can even cut 1-2 out and add an extra bye week, just don't increase to 18 games.

Personally, I like the preseason, and go to the games when I can get tickets.

GB12
08-08-2010, 03:30 PM

I've always hated the idea of extending the season. I've always hated the idea of cutting the preseason. I hate the people that relentlessly hate on Goodell.

FlyingElvis
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
It's surprising to me that so few support this idea. I watch every preseason game I can (<3 NFLN replays!!) . . . right up until the starters come out and then I shut that **** off. Even Patriots games are tough for me to watch all the way through b/c evaluating the players late in the game is pointless, as they are playing similarly weak competition.

The practice time would be enough to evaluate players well enough to make the roster decisions. Preseason games are not that big of a factor. If two guys are very close then a preseason performance may be the clincher, but it's mostly what coaches and staff see all week that matters. And, since the roster will be expanded if the league goes to 18 games, there's room for the extra players anyway.

Teams, coaches, and players will all adjust just fine. Get rid of meaningless football, please. Thank you Mr. Goodell!

FlyingElvis
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Apparently NOT!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to J-Mike88 again."

FlyingElvis
08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I think it's worth the bump here . . .

Last night's Patriots vs. Saints game was not even aired in the full local market. It was only aired on a local Boston affiliate, apparently. I'm not sure if the same was true in NH, VT, or ME but RI & CT viewers were not even provided the opportunity to watch.

Jvig43
08-26-2010, 10:40 AM
2012 looks like it could be the year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a0299a/article/goodell-owners-support-18game-season-players-concerned?module=HP_headlines

I dont see why the owners are pushing for this

FlyingElvis
08-26-2010, 10:57 AM
I dont see why the owners are pushing for this

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nobody watches preseason games, so no networks air it - even in local markets. I can't watch the Pats game even though I'm 30 minutes away from Foxboro. That is lost revenue. The games don't sell tickets. More lost revenue. Less fans at the game means less $$ in parking fees, concessions and any of the gazillion revenue generating shops / eateries / etc. built into that snazzy new building at a Patriot Place.

FlyingElvis
08-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Already, teams have been experimenting with joint workouts in training camp, believing those sessions could help replace the shorter preseason. This year, for instance, the Atlanta Falcons worked out with both the Patriots and Jacksonville Jaguars.

This was one of the most interesting parts of camp this year for me. The coverage of Pats v. Saints and Pats v. Falcons joint workouts leading up to their games was more exciting than any previous preseason. I see it as a win / win. Preseason games are reduced - less boring, meaningless games; regular season is extended so we have more meaningful football; intrasquad practices make training camp more fun.

win / win / win technically. ; )

Shiver
08-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Worse yet, the pre-season tickets are still added unto Season Ticket prices. So the fans are punished for games that they don't want to see.

descendency
08-26-2010, 11:48 AM
If teams are struggling to fill stadiums already, who the **** is going to attend that week 19 game when their team has, to that point, lost 16 games?
Who cares. The revenue from the TV broadcasts will easily dwarf stadium costs.

Halsey
08-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Yep.

The owners are the ones pushing and the players aren't really fighting it because they know it means more money and jobs. They could all care less what the fans want.

brat316
08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Who cares. The revenue from the TV broadcasts will easily dwarf stadium costs.

yeah but thats where owners are hung up, how do they share this revenue, should the Bills be getting paid the same as the Cowboys?

Shiver
08-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Yep.

The owners are the ones pushing and the players aren't really fighting it because they know it means more money and jobs. They could all care less what the fans want.

It is a win-win-win as far as I am concerned.

(more fantasy football! woot!)

yourfavestoner
08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Literally, the only problem I have with it is the quality of games at the end of the season. Goodell has bitched every year about teams tanking it for the last couple of games. I can't wait to see what he says when teams winning bad divisions are packing their **** in for an entire month at the end of the season.

The record book will be completely re-written, but that was to be expected in coming years anyways since football has essentially turned to basketball on grass. Anybody with half a brain should be able to put records in context.

Shiver
08-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Literally, the only problem I have with it is the quality of games at the end of the season. Goodell has bitched every year about teams tanking it for the last couple of games. I can't wait to see what he says when teams winning bad divisions are packing their **** in for an entire month to end the year.

The record book will be completely re-written, but that was to be expected in coming years anyways since football has essentially turned to basketball on grass. Anybody with half a brain should be able to put records in context.

Drew Brees, first to 5,500 yards? Andre Johnson first to 2,000 yards?

yourfavestoner
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Hahahaha, the possibilities for offensive production are absolutely endless. The new benchmarks set that will be set are going to be absolutely ridiculous.

For the most part, though, I think you'll see a lot of the rushing records stay intact for awhile. A longer season means more platooning for backs. And if they shoulder the majority of the load, you'll likely see their careers end way before they start approaching 12,000 yards or so.

Shiver
08-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah, the RBBC is not going away anytime soon. Really, with exception to the 1990s-2003, that has been the standard practice in the NFL. Go back to the 70s and try and find a team that didn't use a 1-2, sometimes 3 punch at RB. With an 18-game schedule having just one back would be far too risky.

PoopSandwich
08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
They don't even need to make the season 18 games, they could do 2 preseason games and just start the season when the third game of the preseason normally is... 4 Preseason games is completely pointless.

Splat
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
They don't even need to make the season 18 games, they could do 2 preseason games and just start the season when the third game of the preseason normally is... 4 Preseason games is completely pointless.

Sounds good on paper but they don't want to lose the money from those two games.

yourfavestoner
08-26-2010, 01:37 PM
If/when the season does go to 18 games, I think they should make it a 20 week season with two bye weeks for each team.

FlyingElvis
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM

But they would leave the potential revenue from two additional regular season games on the table, and that's not happening.

My biggest concern with all of this is the fact that the owners will want 18 games and still ask the players to take less money. That has ugly negotiations & lockout written all over it.

yourfavestoner
08-26-2010, 02:03 PM
But they would leave the potential revenue from two additional regular season games on the table, and that's not happening.

My biggest concern with all of this is the fact that the owners will want 18 games and still ask the players to take less money. That has ugly negotiations & lockout written all over it.

Ultimately, that's where the compromise is going to have to come in these negotiations.

CC.SD
08-26-2010, 02:13 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l43/punkadiddle/ladainian_tomlinson_29th_td.jpg

I'll be sad.

31 is still a lot over 18 games though.

Jvig43
08-26-2010, 02:15 PM
What are schedules going to look like, do they just add two more games against teams from the other conference?

Ness
08-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Ugggh....should I even watch the NFL anymore?

Sounds good on paper but they don't want to lose the money from those two games.

Can't they just condense the money into 18 games instead of 20?

FlyingElvis
08-26-2010, 03:44 PM
quick search (ie wiki) so don't take it as law . . .

"Currently, three American terrestrial television networks CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B), as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) are paying a combined total of $20.4 billion[1] to broadcast NFL games through the 2011 season for CBS, Fox, and NBC and through 2013 for ESPN."

source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television)

Addict
08-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm in favor of an 18-game season, if only because it gives the Lions a chance to not be the worst team ever anymore.

thenewfeature06
08-26-2010, 03:51 PM
I am sure the Lions won't be forgotten though, and me as a fan yeah I would like it... If I played I guarantee it would be the opposite.

scpanther22
08-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Could you imagine if you were a Fullback and had to play 18 games?

they wont last long.

brat316
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm in favor of an 18-game season, if only because it gives the Lions a chance to not be the worst team ever anymore.

0-18 would have something different to say about that.

GB12
08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Could you imagine if you were a Fullback and had to play 18 games?

they wont last long.

That's why you carry two fullbacks.

Or three.

Shiver
08-26-2010, 11:55 PM
If/when the season does go to 18 games, I think they should make it a 20 week season with two bye weeks for each team.

That would be the most fair thing to do. I don't like how some teams get theirs so early (like Atlanta last year) and other teams get to rest their people late into the regular season and get healed up for the stretch run.

elway=goat
08-27-2010, 03:18 AM
I am fine how it is now.. If its not broke dont fix it. 18 games is too many for the players and it has a potential to really effect the product in a negative way. Players=you're product Goodell.. Think about how this is going to effect the future insteado of living in the moment.

Players are going to break down faster, play less years overall because of this, and has the potential to water down the product. I am not in support of this move if it goes through.

steelersfan43
08-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Hahahaha, the possibilities for offensive production are absolutely endless. The new benchmarks set that will be set are going to be absolutely ridiculous.

For the most part, though, I think you'll see a lot of the rushing records stay intact for awhile. A longer season means more platooning for backs. And if they shoulder the majority of the load, you'll likely see their careers end way before they start approaching 12,000 yards or so.

Its only 2 more gamess...

yourfavestoner
08-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Its only 2 more gamess...

Okay, that's 250 ypg for a good quarterback, equaling out to an extra 500 yards passing.

To put that in perspective, Matt Schaub would have passed for 5270 yards last season.

steelersfan43
08-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Okay, that's 250 ypg for a good quarterback, equaling out to an extra 500 yards passing.

Yea it will ruin the records but its not like they'll be blow out of the water.

yourfavestoner
08-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Ninja edited you dude, sorry.

Ness
08-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Yea it will ruin the records but its not like they'll be blow out of the water.

I think they will. 2,000 yards will be easier to attain. So will 5,000 yards with the way the NFL is trending towards passing the football.

It's too bad that the "fans" Goodell is referencing are the ones that really don't know jack **** about football, and are just casual observers.

Why is Goodell such a dumbass. Why.

FlyingElvis
08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
I think they will. 2,000 yards will be easier to attain. So will 5,000 yards with the way the NFL is trending towards passing the football.

It's too bad that the "fans" Goodell is referencing are the ones that really don't know jack **** about football, and are just casual observers.

Why is Goodell such a dumbass. Why.

He's not. Fans that don't know jack **** about football comprise an overwhelming majority of the revenue pool.

P-L
08-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd like to think that I know more than "jack ****" about football and am much more than a casual observer, and I hate the preseason. Do I think that two extra regular season games are necessary? Not really, but I'm definitely in favor of dropping a preseason game or two. Ideally, I'd like to see 16 regular season games and two or three preseason games but I'd take 18 regular season games over four or five preseason games easily.

FlyingElvis
08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd like to think that I know more than "jack ****" about football and am much more than a casual observer, and I hate the preseason. Do I think that two extra regular season games are necessary? Not really, but I'm definitely in favor of dropping a preseason game or two. Ideally, I'd like to see 16 regular season games and two or three preseason games but I'd take 18 regular season games over four or five preseason games easily.

I'm with you on that.

Which means some portion of the miniscule percentage of fans who do, in fact, know more than jack **** about football don't give a rat's ass about preseason. Thus making the pool of people Goodell is referencing even larger.

:)

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Preseason isn't about the fans. It's about talent evaluation.

And enough players get injured in the preseason as it is, never mind if it was two extra weeks of real football. It's going to get to the point where every team is starting their second unit come playoffs because no one is left.

Rushing records will stay similar per year, because you don't want to give your running back too many more carries per year than what they are getting, or they will fall apart even fast. Passing and receiving records per year are done. Probably career ones will start taking a hit in 6-7 years.

I hate the move to 18. Because 5-6 years from now if Goodell is still here, I wouldn't be surprised to see him push for 20. And casual fans would eat it up. Ugh.

Dr. Gonzo
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Anything that leads to more football is a good thing in my books. I would kill for a chance to play an NFL snap and get injured so I really don't buy there will be more injuries as a good argument but thats just me. I also really don't give a **** about records.

San Diego Chicken
08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't mind the pre-season that much. It's cool to see players that you wouldn't normally see on sundays. But I do understand why casual fans don't like it.