PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be The Highest Paid Player In The NFL?

PACKmanN
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are free agents next off-season and the Colts owner has said he is prepared to make Manning the highest paid player in the NFL and we know of which QB has shined in the Playoffs, so who would you make the highest paid player in the NFL?

nepg
08-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Me.

But probably Brady. He gave up a chunk of change in his last contract, and deserves to have it made up to him. Manning also doesn't need as much because he dwarfs Brady in endorsement money (to be fair, by Brady's choice).

They really just need to all sit down together (Team Manning, Team Brady, Indy, & New England) and come to an agreement on the same deal.

bearfan
08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Peyton. While both are great QBs, Peyton IMO is better. He runs the offense and if it were not for him the Colts would be a much worse team. I'm not knocking Brady at all...I like him better, but Cassel came in and it was an 11-5 team. Peyton just is so good, it has to be him.

Crickett
08-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Sam Bradford & Reggie Bush.

ViperVisor
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Matt Cassel is a big feather in Manning's camp.

We haven't seen the Colts for more than a few Qs in meaningless games withing Peyton.

Brent
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/duffy_5669/PatriotsSB.rings375x128.jpg

Shiver
08-07-2010, 11:37 AM

+ the 2007 Patriots and all the records and achievements they set.

Babylon
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Matt Cassel is a big feather in Manning's camp.

We haven't seen the Colts for more than a few Qs in meaningless games withing Peyton.

You stated it perfectly. (more or less). The Pats were a borderline playoff team without Brady and Indy i would say would be terrible without Peyton.

yourfavestoner
08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
You stated it perfectly. (more or less). The Pats were a borderline playoff team without Brady and Indy i would say would be terrible without Peyton.

Meh, that 11-5 record came in a year the Pats played the AFC and NFC West. For a comparison, the Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5 with pretty much the same schedule.

J-Mike88
08-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Accurate results. We the people usually get it right.
Smart board.

A Perfect Score
08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Me.

But probably Brady. He gave up a chunk of change in his last contract, and deserves to have it made up to him. Manning also doesn't need as much because he dwarfs Brady in endorsement money (to be fair, by Brady's choice).

They really just need to all sit down together (Team Manning, Team Brady, Indy, & New England) and come to an agreement on the same deal.

I would be willing to bet Peyton doesn't dwarf Brady in endorsements at all, seeing as how Brady is practically a male model in the offseason.

As far as they go as football players, I do believe Peyton is a better player and more valuable to his team, but Im a Brady fan. Peytons contract will probably end up being larger, but I do hope Tom gets his due. But he gets to go home to Gisele every night, so screw him.

Splat
08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
The guy who more times then not wins in the playoffs.

Shane P. Hallam
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I would be willing to bet Peyton doesn't dwarf Brady in endorsements at all, seeing as how Brady is practically a male model in the offseason.

As far as they go as football players, I do believe Peyton is a better player and more valuable to his team, but Im a Brady fan. Peytons contract will probably end up being larger, but I do hope Tom gets his due. But he gets to go home to Gisele every night, so screw him.

Peyton made 15 million in endorsements last year. Brady made about 7.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
08-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Peyton is the single most important player on any team in the NFL. He has won a SB with little to no help from a defense and been to another with no running game to speak of. This is not a knock on Brady, but he has had an amazing defense, top notch WRs and maybe the best coach since Lombardi. Brady is great and deserves nearly as much as Peyton, but if you had to pick 1 guy, Peyton is it.

Peyton - $1,000,000 (pinky planted in corner of mouth)
Brady - $999,999 (can I get a QB with a freaking laser)

scottyboy
08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
another Peyton v Brady debate thread...this time slightly worded differently. I can haz regular season nao?

nepg
08-07-2010, 12:30 PM

You're penalizing Brady because his back-up was good and the team had a great QB coach? Just because Peyton has had Jim Sorgi behind him doesn't mean that a competent backup couldn't take the team to a decent record.

That 2008 Pats team was pretty good, but their OL that year was trash. Cassel earned the money he got from the Chiefs, and played behind a line that was just as bad as the 2008 Pats OL in 2009.

Like I said, give them both the same contract.

Splat
08-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Peyton is the single most important player on any team in the NFL. He has won a SB with little to no help from a defense and been to another with no running game to speak of. This is not a knock on Brady, but he has had an amazing defense, top notch WRs and maybe the best coach since Lombardi. Brady is great and deserves nearly as much as Peyton, but if you had to pick 1 guy, Peyton is it.

Peyton - $1,000,000 (pinky planted in corner of mouth)
Brady - $999,999 (can I get a QB with a freaking laser)

Harrison,Wayne and Clark.

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Drew Brees is better than Brady, so Peyton Manning.

Splat
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Drew Brees is better than Brady, so Peyton Manning.

It always comes back to the Saints with you.

EvilNixon
08-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Demarcus Ware

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Not really, it is what it is. The 3rd best QB doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the league(history?)

Nalej
08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
top notch WRs

Wait, what?

Lets play a game I like to call, "pick out the elite WR"...

Troy Brown, D.Branch, R. Caldwell, D.Patten, D. Givens, Bethel Johnson

Take your time.

Saints-Tigers
08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
For Splat:

WHAT CAN’T HE DO?: "As QB Drew Brees was walking off the field at the end of practice, he punted a football from the 30-yardline. The ball landed at the three-yard line and rolled out of bounds right before the goalline"

PACKmanN
08-07-2010, 01:53 PM

but how much of that has to do with the Pats finding guys who can step up if their starter goes down? If Indy would find the same guy, they would be a borderline playoff team as well

Babylon
08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
but how much of that has to do with the Pats finding guys who can step up if their starter goes down? If Indy would find the same guy, they would be a borderline playoff team as well

I cant argue with that logic. Maybe with a Matt Cassel the Colts would be a contender, i'm not sure.

LonghornsLegend
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM

I hear this excuse alot, but how can you compare how important Brady & Peyton are due to how good each back-up QB is? So the Pats had a better back-up QB that was good enough to start for another team, so that means Peyton is better? It just means the Colts have had ****** backup QB's, I fail to see how that should compare to how good one or another is.

wonderbredd24
08-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Right this second, it's Drew Brees

yourfavestoner
08-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Right this second, it's Drew Brees

I don't disagree with this.

Rankings are fluid from year to year, and he's the best player in the game right now.

Razor
08-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Peyton Manning probably should be the highest paid player, but in all fairness I think they should get about the same. Both are great players, they are the 1a and 1b players in the league and are prette much interchangable.

The reason I say Manning is that without him, the Colts would suck whereas the Pats would still be a .500+ team. So the need to keep Manning is way bigger than the need to keep Brady, but still.. Both are in for a big pay day. Screw you, Bradford!

descendency
08-08-2010, 04:58 AM
+ the 2007 Patriots and all the records and achievements they set.
+ the AFC Championship game they attended and nearly won.

6 GREAT seasons while Tom Brady was QB.

I hear this excuse alot, but how can you compare how important Brady & Peyton are due to how good each back-up QB is? So the Pats had a better back-up QB that was good enough to start for another team, so that means Peyton is better? It just means the Colts have had ****** backup QB's, I fail to see how that should compare to how good one or another is.

The more you look at Bill Polian's record and the way fans act, you would think the man shouldn't be in the NFL if he didn't get lucky with Peyton Manning (I say lucky because lots of people thought of Ryan Leaf would be at least as good if not better than Manning).

bam bam
08-08-2010, 05:53 AM
and we know of which QB has shined in the Playoffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkZilStGXGc

quit living in the past

Razor
08-08-2010, 06:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkZilStGXGc

quit living in the past

So one game negates all the other great games? Child please...

bam bam
08-08-2010, 06:56 AM
So one game negates all the other great games? Child please...

please child...a 35 year old ragged out stripper doesn't get paid on the basis that she was hot five years ago.

Razor
08-08-2010, 07:13 AM
please, child...a 35 year old ragged out stripper doesn't get paid on the basis that she was hot five years ago.

I wasn't asking about your mother's problems...

bam bam
08-08-2010, 07:25 AM

That was about as funny as this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6n7kXMjLw&feature=related

descendency
08-08-2010, 07:40 AM
That was about as funny as this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6n7kXMjLw&feature=related

That was a bad Jerry Seinfeld impersonator.

RealityCheck
08-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I was going to say this.

bam bam
08-08-2010, 08:13 AM
That was a bad Jerry Seinfeld impersonator.

I went to college with him. He was so terrible. And just a weird guy overall.

SloppyJoe
08-08-2010, 08:46 AM
if i have to choose one of brady and manning. it would probably be manning.

but the highest player shouldn't be a QB. for me the highest player should be Joe Thomas

P-L
08-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Peyton is the single most important player on any team in the NFL. He has won a SB with little to no help from a defense and been to another with no running game to speak of.
This really isn't true at all. In the 2006-07 playoffs Manning was borderline terrible. He threw for 2 TD and 6 INT in the three AFC playoff games and was average at best in the Super Bowl against Chicago. He had a sub-70.0 QB rating in those four playoff games. On the other hand, during those same playoffs the Colts defense allowed the fewest yards of any team, the fewest points of any team that played more than one game, and created 5 more turnover than the second best defense. Indy also finished the 2009-10 playoffs as tied for first in scoring defense.

I actually voted for Peyton based on what he's done the last two years. It is, however, the biggest fallacy in sports that Peyton single-handedly won that Super Bowl for the Colts. They won almost in spite of Manning, not because of him.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Tom Brady with "weapons"= 0 rings
Tom Brady without Adam Vinatieri= 0 rings
Tom Brady without an elite defense= 0 rings

From a statistical stand point Brady and Manning are nearly identical in 18 appearances. Brady's last 3 playoff games he has been very average(including the super bowl against the giants).

Saints-Tigers
08-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Like I said, when Brady has been forced to win a superbowl on a team with super dominant offense, he came up short too.

It's easier to win when you have epic D and you get to "have clutch moments" and dont have to be great for full games at a time, or try to come back from behind and throw 40 times and stuff.

I think Brady's performance against aginst NY was worse than anything. That was the best team of all time before that game, and you have to be extremely rattled to keep overthrowing Randy Moss.

bigbluedefense
08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm gonna pick Peyton Manning over Tom Brady. Only because I think Peyton will be able to play at a high level for more years than Brady will.

I can see Peyton playing into his late 30s.

bigbluedefense
08-08-2010, 10:34 AM

From a statistical stand point Brady and Manning are nearly identical in 18 appearances. Brady's last 3 playoff games he has been very average(including the super bowl against the giants).

Come on man.

NO qb wins it alone. Peyton has had plenty of talent on his teams as well. I don't buy that argument.

You say Brady doesn't win rings without Vinatieri. Well guess what? Neither does Peyton. If Vinatieri doesn't have the game of his life against Baltimore, and the Ravens don't drop a good 3 INTs in that game, Peyton doesn't win a SB.

Peyton won his SB when he relied on his defense and run game. His ego hasn't allowed him to check into the run game as much as he should. This last SB is a great example of that.

Every big playoff loss he's had, the opposition's defense basically dared him to hand it off for 4 quarters, and Peyton's ego was incapable of doing that.

Nalej
08-08-2010, 10:37 AM

That's cute but as P-L pointed out... Peyton Manning won his only superbowl playing sub-par and a defense that played out of this world during that playoff run. So I can do it too.

Peyton Manning without elite defense= 0 rings
Peyton Manning without Adam Vinatieri= 0 rings

Brent
08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
This is a conflicting thing to say, because you are implying that he didn't have "weapons" before.

Same goes for Peyton, but I guess Brady wasn't the one who put his team in position for Adam to kick FGs.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Come on man.

NO qb wins it alone. Peyton has had plenty of talent on his teams as well. I don't buy that argument.

You say Brady doesn't win rings without Vinatieri. Well guess what? Neither does Peyton. If Vinatieri doesn't have the game of his life against Baltimore, and the Ravens don't drop a good 3 INTs in that game, Peyton doesn't win a SB.

Peyton won his SB when he relied on his defense and run game. His ego hasn't allowed him to check into the run game as much as he should. This last SB is a great example of that.

Every big playoff loss he's had, the opposition's defense basically dared him to hand it off for 4 quarters, and Peyton's ego was incapable of doing that.

Why would he hand the ball off? Addai has a pitiful 3.87 yards per attempt in the playoffs and Rhodes wasn't setting the world on fire when he got his carries back in the day. Back when Edge played he was good but not great in the playoffs. Brady could not get passed a Ravens secondary that was fairly crippled last year. Other than beating up on Jacksonville in their last super bowl run Brady has not been anything close to Mr. Clutch

BeerBaron
08-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Though I'm personally not a fan of Manning (great player, I just don't like him) he deserves it.

I do know that whichever of these guys gets their contract second is the one who will be paid the most. Probably part of the reason neither have been extended so far...they each want to see what the other gets and go from there.

abaddon41_80
08-08-2010, 11:29 AM
another Peyton v Brady debate thread...this time slightly worded differently. I can haz regular season nao?

I hate to agree with scotty but this needs to be quoted. Peyton vs. Brady debates are getting kind of old, tbh.

LonghornsLegend
08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I can see Peyton playing into his late 30s.

That's it? He seems like a guy who could be 40 years old still putting up above average seasons, maybe he'd be on a new team by then but I think he could be very solid at that age still.

please child...a 35 year old ragged out stripper doesn't get paid on the basis that she was hot five years ago.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/iloled-pam.jpg

bigbluedefense
08-08-2010, 01:01 PM
That's it? He seems like a guy who could be 40 years old still putting up above average seasons, maybe he'd be on a new team by then but I think he could be very solid at that age still.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/iloled-pam.jpg

I think he's capable of playing into his 40s, but I'm not sure if Peyton is gonna do that. I can see him hanging it up when he's 38 or 39.

And you never know with injuries.

Why would he hand the ball off? Addai has a pitiful 3.87 yards per attempt in the playoffs and Rhodes wasn't setting the world on fire when he got his carries back in the day. Back when Edge played he was good but not great in the playoffs. Brady could not get passed a Ravens secondary that was fairly crippled last year. Other than beating up on Jacksonville in their last super bowl run Brady has not been anything close to Mr. Clutch

We can talk about this until the end of time. But if you plan on taking this argument towards shortcomings in the playoffs, it won't work in your favor.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I think he's capable of playing into his 40s, but I'm not sure if Peyton is gonna do that. I can see him hanging it up when he's 38 or 39.

And you never know with injuries.

We can talk about this until the end of time. But if you plan on taking this argument towards shortcomings in the playoffs, it won't work in your favor.

Giving Brady's current rate of playoff performances within a few years it should be a non-issue especially if Peyton can add one more ring to his finger.

Brent
08-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Giving Brady's current rate of playoff performances within a few years it should be a non-issue especially if Peyton can add one more ring to his finger.
Given Manning's current rate of playoff performances, it's hard to imagine him winning another ring. We can make "if" assumptions all day, but that's purely speculation and entirely worthless in a discussion such as this.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Given Manning's current rate of playoff performances, it's hard to imagine him winning another ring. We can make "if" assumptions all day, but that's purely speculation and entirely worthless in a discussion such as this.
Yes this discussion that appears 10 times a year is clearly imperative. If you are going to give someone a contract these what if's will play out. If you think Manning will perform give him more money. Speculation is entirely worthwhile.

BoneKrusher
08-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Tom Brady.
i'd measure QB's by SuperBowl Trophys and Brady leads it by 2

Sniper
08-08-2010, 02:42 PM

http://media.nola.com/superbowl_impact/photo/tracy-porter-super-bowl-intjpg-13ff1e851aa47942_large.jpg

wicket
08-08-2010, 02:44 PM
brees puts up better stats, also lead his team to the superbowl, had a worse deal than brady and his deal also runs out

Im not saying it should be brees but I think you could/should put him there as one of the options

scottyboy
08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I hate to agree with scotty but this needs to be quoted. Peyton vs. Brady debates are getting kind of old, tbh.

thanks you kindly but...wait. why do you hate to agree with me?

PoopSandwich
08-08-2010, 03:10 PM
One of the younger qbs will get a huge contract that will trump whatever either of these two make next year.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 03:14 PM
http://media.nola.com/superbowl_impact/photo/tracy-porter-super-bowl-intjpg-13ff1e851aa47942_large.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/Cowanon/UM_epic_fail.jpg

Sniper
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I wish that post were relevant to this discussion, except it's not. The point of me posting the Porter picture was to point out the irony of you calling out Brady for mistakes in a Super Bowl.

You really, really need to work on your debate style. Saying "LOLZ YOUR TEAMZ SUCKZZZZ" in every single reply just doesn't work. Your obsession with making fun of Michigan is a bit scary.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Dom Rhodes in the Super Bowl- 21 carries, 113 yards, 5.4 ypc, 1 TD, 1 reception, 8 yards.
Joseph Addain in the Super Bowl- 19 carries, 77 yards, 4.1 ypc, 10 receptions, 66 yards.

That's 40 carries for 190 yards, 1 touchdown. 11 receptions for 74 yards between the two of them. That comes out to 4.75 yards per carry and 6.7 yards per catch.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I wish that post were relevant to this discussion, except it's not. The point of me posting the Porter picture was to point out the irony of you calling out Brady for mistakes in a Super Bowl.

You really, really need to work on your debate style. Saying "LOLZ YOUR TEAMZ SUCKZZZZ" in every single reply just doesn't work. Your obsession with making fun of Michigan is a bit scary.

Yes an being a giant homer to a school you never went (not even in your own country) is in the realm of sane. My point was brady's postseason mystique or aura isn't there anymore.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes an being a giant homer to a school you never went (not even in your own country) is in the realm of sane.

Just so we're on the same page, I am a native of Canada, but a resident of the United States. Great counter-point, though. It really made a lot of sense.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Dom Rhodes in the Super Bowl- 21 carries, 113 yards, 5.4 ypc, 1 TD, 1 reception, 8 yards.
Joseph Addain in the Super Bowl- 19 carries, 77 yards, 4.1 ypc, 10 receptions, 66 yards.

That's 40 carries for 190 yards, 1 touchdown. 11 receptions for 74 yards between the two of them. That comes out to 4.75 yards per carry and 6.7 yards per catch.

What part of this is setting the world on fire? Those are good but not great numbers.

Sniper
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
What part of this is setting the world on fire? Those are good but not great numbers.

If you're going to keep your head in the sand, we might as well end this conversation. Averaging north of five yards per carry in the Super Bowl would be a pretty ******* good game. But yeah, let's give the MVP to Peyton Manning for his pedestrian game because of his regular-season accomplishments.

I'm sure you'll come back with something incredibly witty like "LOLZ YOUR TEAM SUCKZ", but arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall. I'm done with this ****. By the way, it's a tad odd to have a shirtless dude as your sig. Just sayin'.

prock
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Oh yeah, so 200 yards rushing in the Super Bowl isn't great at all.

PACKmanN
08-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Yes an being a giant homer to a school you never went (not even in your own country) is in the realm of sane. My point was brady's postseason mystique or aura isn't there anymore.

that nonsense sounds like what a child would say to someone who just owned them in every sense of the discuss, so he/she has to say something that requires .1 thought.

Also, when can you give 100% of the credit to the qb in recent SBs? This is why people say "defense wins championships" because it has been proven over and over again that the better defense has come away with the win

Nalej
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
By the way, it's a tad odd to have a shirtless dude as your sig. Just sayin'.

It's not odd. It's ***. <---(syn for "likes dudes")

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
If you're going to keep your head in the sand, we might as well end this conversation. Averaging north of five yards per carry in the Super Bowl would be a pretty ******* good game. But yeah, let's give the MVP to Peyton Manning for his pedestrian game because of his regular-season accomplishments.

I'm sure you'll come back with something incredibly witty like "LOLZ YOUR TEAM SUCKZ", but arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall. I'm done with this ****. By the way, it's a tad odd to have a shirtless dude as your sig. Just sayin'.
Ya odd...where in america is necrophilia considered a social norm? Promoting a guy having sex with a corpse in your sig. Looks like we have a Norman Bates here.

that nonsense sounds like what a child would say to someone who just owned them in every sense of the discuss, so he/she has to say something that requires .1 thought.

Also, when can you give 100% of the credit to the qb in recent SBs? This is why people say "defense wins championships" because it has been proven over and over again that the better defense has come away with the win

So saying Brady has 3 rings to Peyton's 1 isn't saying he is responsible for them? Kthxtryagain

Bengalsrocket
08-08-2010, 06:49 PM

I was with you all the way until you turned into a hypocrite lol.

Anyways, I think we could go back and forth on any Manning / Brady subject until they retire and then for another 40+ years. It is fun to gauge people's opinions in these threads but it's hard to figure out anything valuable inside them.

But if you're asking my opinion, I've always liked Manning more (maybe he's just a little bit more charismatic or something, I don't know) but I wouldn't be surprised or upset if Brady got more money.

Halsey
08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
People say the Pats didn't take a step back after Brady got injured. Really? They followed up an 18-1 season, in which they nearly went undefeated, by going 11-5 and missing the playoffs with Cassel.

Brent
08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Ya odd...where in america is necrophilia considered a social norm? Promoting a guy having sex with a corpse in your sig. Looks like we have a Norman Bates here.
See, and now you are just reinforcing the point that when you can't form an argument you just return to ad hominem attacks.

Vikes99ej
08-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Peyton Manning, because he has been the best player in the league since God knows when. He's also the face of the NFL.

killxswitch
08-09-2010, 08:10 AM
There's no way I can be objective in this discussion.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/stylephile/4857860.jpg

CC.SD
08-09-2010, 10:27 AM

See, and now you are just reinforcing the point that when you can't form an argument you just return to ad hominem attacks.

Ad mortis hominem attacks

Smooth Criminal
08-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Peyton. No one does more for their team, possibly ever, than Peyton Manning.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Peyton. No one does more for their team, possibly ever, than Peyton Manning.

No one has been the receipient of more hyperbole, possibly ever, than Peyton Manning.

He's not the first guy to call his own plays, and he won't be the last.

wonderbredd24
08-09-2010, 10:53 AM
No one has been the receipient of more hyperbole, possibly ever, than Peyton Manning.

Calling their own plays, then going on defense to play safety and be the punter.

Hi, I'm Sammy Baugh.

This board makes me hate Peyton Manning, I swear

And the answer to the question right now is still Drew Brees

AntoinCD
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I would be shocked if it wasn't Manning but really it could go either way. Manning will probably go down as the best regular season QB of all time, but as of now he has been an average postseason QB at best. Brady has only had the big stats one year, however he will be mentioned in the same breath as Montana etc as one of the best postseason QBs of all time.

A few things I've picked up on in this thread though.

To say Manning has done so much with a bad defense, bad run game etc.-Dwight Freeney is, and has been for most of his career, a top 5 DE in the NFL. The Colts have sent both starting DEs to the pro bowl in recent years. Their starting SS is a former Defensive player of the Year. I believe they hold the record for the least amount of passing TDs allowed in one season. They currently have two first round RBs on their offense, neither could be described as a bust.

Tom Brady has been underwhelming in recent postseasons-During the 18-1 season in the postseason Tom Brady broke the record for best completion percentage in a playoff game. Tom Brady couldnt exactly sack Eli Manning in the Superbowl, or stop the catch by Tyree, or cover Plaxico Burress. While he wasnt at his normal standard against Baltimore last year he couldnt exactly stop Ray rice going 80 yds from the first play of the game.

Tom Brady has won 0 Superbowls with weapons-This one made me laugh. Tom Brady has had 'weapons' for two seasons in which he has been healthy. Last year he was coming off a serious knee injury, so it can be argued he has actually only had one season. In that season he broke numerous records and brought the Patriots to the playoffs, only to lose to the better team on the day, and with a little bit of bad luck. How many years did Peyton Manning have 'weapons' before he won the Superbowl?

Manning will be the highest paid player, simply because Irsay has said it is going to happen. No one can really argue against it either as he has been the best, or at least, top 3 player for well over a decade and is still playing at a ridiculously high level

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Meh, that 11-5 record came in a year the Pats played the AFC and NFC West. For a comparison, the Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5 with pretty much the same schedule.

Not to mention, the year before that they were 16-0 playing the NFC East(3 playoff teams) and AFC North(2 10-win teams) while also playing the Colts and Chargers.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
To say Manning has done so much with a bad defense, bad run game etc.-Dwight Freeney is, and has been for most of his career, a top 5 DE in the NFL. The Colts have sent both starting DEs to the pro bowl in recent years. Their starting SS is a former Defensive player of the Year. I believe they hold the record for the least amount of passing TDs allowed in one season.

That statistic is a little misleading. Their lack of passing TDs against likely has more to do with how bad their run defense has historically been than how good their pass defense is.

AntoinCD
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
That statistic is a little misleading. Their lack of passing TDs against likely has more to do with how bad their run defense has historically been than how good their pass defense is.

True but it also means few teams could score quickly on them. If the Dolphins proved anything last year in their game against the Colts, it's controlling the clock and keeping Manning off the field is only good if they can punch it in. 3 points just doesn't cut it against that offense. The Colts goal line defense is actually pretty solid too

FlyingElvis
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
50% of Brady's votes are Pats fans. What a bunch of ******* homers!

yourfavestoner
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM

The truth is somewhere in the middle. While their run defense is absolutely horrible, they're still a very underrated unit (esepcially when Sanders plays).

Their pass defense is pretty damn good, though. They get to play with a lead, pin their ears back, and force throws into underneath coverage where they've got a ton of guys lurking in coverage. It's a good unit, and they do a good job of finding talent for their scheme.

The wildcard for their D is always Sanders. When he's healthy, there are few players that can impact an entire unit like how he does for the Colts (in both the run and pass game). I was ******* terrified that the Colts would draft Taylor Mays and have him play Sanders' role for the next 10 years.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
True but it also means few teams could score quickly on them. If the Dolphins proved anything last year in their game against the Colts, it's controlling the clock and keeping Manning off the field is only good if they can punch it in. 3 points just doesn't cut it against that offense. The Colts goal line defense is actually pretty solid too

Very true. That's the underrated part about their defense: you can chew them up between the 20s, but they're very good once they're backed up in the redzone.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
To say Manning has done so much with a bad defense, bad run game etc.-Dwight Freeney is, and has been for most of his career, a top 5 DE in the NFL. The Colts have sent both starting DEs to the pro bowl in recent years. Their starting SS is a former Defensive player of the Year. I believe they hold the record for the least amount of passing TDs allowed in one season. They currently have two first round RBs on their offense, neither could be described as a bust.

Tom Brady has been underwhelming in recent postseasons-During the 18-1 season in the postseason Tom Brady broke the record for best completion percentage in a playoff game. Tom Brady couldnt exactly sack Eli Manning in the Superbowl, or stop the catch by Tyree, or cover Plaxico Burress. While he wasnt at his normal standard against Baltimore last year he couldnt exactly stop Ray rice going 80 yds from the first play of the game.
[B]

There have been no shortage of great players in the patriots defense during there mini dynasty, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschii etc.. Laurence Maroney first round pick has a higher career yards per attempt and yards per reception than Addai. In Brady's last super bowl run he beat up all over the jaguars. When it came to the chargers he posted up 3 picks to 2 TD's with just over 200 yards passing yet he gets the win. Yet Peyton against the same team goes for 3 td's to just 2 picks nearly double the amount of passing yards with a 68.8 completion % yet the team can't stop Billy Volek an it is somehow his fault. An the year after when they let sproles run free with anyone barely getting a hand on him somehow his fault too, right? Look at the list of excuses you gave Brady, everyone is getting blamed but him. He didn't go out there and put up a stunning performance. He managed 1 TD on 48 pass attempts(ya and peyton is a real ball hog), it was just him not coming through in the clutch.

Brent
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Ad mortis hominem attacks
I am having trouble with this, are you saying personal attacks are dead or dead personal attacks?

When Trent Dilfer won a superbowl with the Ravens, he was calling his own plays for a good part of that season.

killxswitch
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah you guys are right Manning's not that great.

Nalej
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Trent Dilfer > Peyton Manning

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 12:29 AM
There have been no shortage of great players in the patriots defense during there mini dynasty, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschii etc.. Laurence Maroney first round pick has a higher career yards per attempt and yards per reception than Addai. In Brady's last super bowl run he beat up all over the jaguars. When it came to the chargers he posted up 3 picks to 2 TD's with just over 200 yards passing yet he gets the win. Yet Peyton against the same team goes for 3 td's to just 2 picks nearly double the amount of passing yards with a 68.8 completion % yet the team can't stop Billy Volek an it is somehow his fault. An the year after when they let sproles run free with anyone barely getting a hand on him somehow his fault too, right? Look at the list of excuses you gave Brady, everyone is getting blamed but him. He didn't go out there and put up a stunning performance. He managed 1 TD on 48 pass attempts(ya and peyton is a real ball hog), it was just him not coming through in the clutch.

Strawman. Nobody's saying Brady hasn't had good players around him. The argument is that Manning hasn't exactly had a shortage of talent on his team, either.

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 03:03 AM

Mr arguement wasn't saying that Brady is always surrounded by scrubs(because it's not true), nor was it to disparage Peyton Manning's achievements and his worth to the Colts. It was in direct response to your post that said Brady can't get it done in the playoffs anymore and Peyton Manning single handedly won everything the Colts have ever achieved with no help from a running game or defense. It's easy to come up with one or two games to back up your opinion.

Yet Peyton against the same team goes for 3 td's to just 2 picks nearly double the amount of passing yards with a 68.8 completion % yet the team can't stop Billy Volek an it is somehow his fault

Where in any post that I have ever posted on this site did I say anything even remotely close to that moronic statement? I wasn't the one to make the point that when the Pats lost in the playoffs it was Brady's fault. The point I made about the Colts defense and run game is that neither are shockingly bad. The run game is underused and the defense at times has been below par against the run, but they don't give up a lot of points and teams struggle to score TDs. Peyton Manning could be in a lot of worse situations than the Colts.

descendency
08-10-2010, 03:47 AM
There have been no shortage of great players in the patriots defense during there mini dynasty
hahaha. wow.

wicket
08-10-2010, 03:59 AM
still think brees should be included in this discussion

Texas Homer
08-10-2010, 04:00 AM
I voted Peyton.

descendency
08-10-2010, 05:11 AM

Darrelle Revis thinks he should be too.

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 05:44 AM

Its hard to argue against that right now. One thing that has to be looked at though concerning both Brees and Brady is both have had very serious injuries in the past while Manning has never missed a game

descendency
08-10-2010, 06:56 AM
My only problem with Brees being in the discussion is that I feel that Brady and Manning have been high quality QBs (top tier ones) for a longer period and seem less 'risky'. I don't think it would be insane to make Brees the top paid player in the NFL, but I think it should be either Manning or Brady (and I tip it to Brady because I feel he is due for his previous years whereas Manning has always been among the leagues top throughout his career)

wonderbredd24
08-10-2010, 07:28 AM
The question as to who should be the highest player has to do with their level of play right now. The NFL does not pay based on past greatness. What have you done for me lately? Drew Brees was the best quarterback leading the Saints to a Superbowl title this past season. He's the man right now.

That could change this year, but as of right this second, it's Drew Brees.

The argument between who is better between Manning and Brady is immaterial, because they are both behind Drew Brees right now.

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 07:33 AM
The question as to who should be the highest player has to do with their level of play right now. The NFL does not pay based on past greatness. What have you done for me lately? Drew Brees was the best quarterback leading the Saints to a Superbowl title this past season. He's the man right now.

That could change this year, but as of right this second, it's Drew Brees.

The argument between who is better between Manning and Brady is immaterial, because they are both behind Drew Brees right now.

Peyton Manning and his 4th MVP award may care to differ.

I also disagree that it's about right now. Players need to prove over a period of time they are the best. A lot of teams will look at the Albert Haynesworth situation as why not to pay someone megabucks after a year or two of success. Just to clarify I'm not saying Brees and Haynesworth are similar I just think that those previous years, especially for a QB would definitely be taken into account.

killxswitch
08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Brees doesn't belong in this discussion because he isn't a free agent after this season.

wonderbredd24
08-10-2010, 07:43 AM

I also disagree that it's about right now. Players need to prove over a period of time they are the best. A lot of teams will look at the Albert Haynesworth situation as why not to pay someone megabucks after a year or two of success. Just to clarify I'm not saying Brees and Haynesworth are similar I just think that those previous years, especially for a QB would definitely be taken into account.
Manning might have the trophy, but Brees was the MVP last year.

How much does Brees have left to prove? In 4 years in New Orleans, he's basically thrown for 4,400 yards and 30 TDs every year.

And in this past year's playoffs, Brees had an 8-0 TD:INT ratio and a 117 rating

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 07:48 AM

How much does Brees have left to prove? In 4 years in New Orleans, he's basically thrown for 4,400 yards and 30 TDs every year.

And in this past year's playoffs, Brees had an 8-0 TD:INT ratio and a 117 rating

My point wasn't saying Brees needs to do it for longer, it was saying that Manning's previous year's shouldn't be discounted. Especially when he is still playing at such a high level.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Where in any post that I have ever posted on this site did I say anything even remotely close to that moronic statement?

See "Tom Brady couldnt exactly sack Eli Manning in the Superbowl, or stop the catch by Tyree, or cover Plaxico Burress. While he wasnt at his normal standard against Baltimore last year he couldnt exactly stop Ray rice going 80 yds from the first play of the game." Pretty much has moron written all over it.

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
See "Tom Brady couldnt exactly sack Eli Manning in the Superbowl, or stop the catch by Tyree, or cover Plaxico Burress. While he wasnt at his normal standard against Baltimore last year he couldnt exactly stop Ray rice going 80 yds from the first play of the game." Pretty much has moron written all over it.

That was in reply to your presumption that Brady has been poor in the postseason recently. Those glib statements I made would seem to indicate that the defense didn't step up.

Never once did I blame Manning for losing to the Chargers though which was what I was asking about. In fact the statements that I used above could also be used at times to describe games the Colts haven't won in the playoffs. But im not saying Manning sucks because he hasnt won the Superbowl in a couple of years like you're saying about Brady

Seamus2602
08-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Tom Brady.
i'd measure QB's by SuperBowl Trophys and Brady leads it by 2

So Big Ben should get paid more than Manning?

Peyton Manning last signed a contract in 2004. In 2004 he hadn't won a Superbowl. Should he have gotten less money than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson?

scottyboy
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
I would be shocked if it wasn't Manning but really it could go either way. Manning will probably go down as the best regular season QB of all time, but as of now he has been an average postseason QB at best. Brady has only had the big stats one year, however he will be mentioned in the same breath as Montana etc as one of the best postseason QBs of all time.

A few things I've picked up on in this thread though.

Tom Brady has won 0 Superbowls with weapons-This one made me laugh. Tom Brady has had 'weapons' for two seasons in which he has been healthy. Last year he was coming off a serious knee injury, so it can be argued he has actually only had one season. In that season he broke numerous records and brought the Patriots to the playoffs, only to lose to the better team on the day, and with a little bit of bad luck. How many years did Peyton Manning have 'weapons' before he won the Superbowl?

Manning will be the highest paid player, simply because Irsay has said it is going to happen. No one can really argue against it either as he has been the best, or at least, top 3 player for well over a decade and is still playing at a ridiculously high level

I dont mean to hi-jack, but this post consists of Raymell baby Rice's 80 yard TD scamper and Eli and the Giants winning the Super Bowl.

you just unintentionally gave me an erection.

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I dont mean to hi-jack, but this post consists of Raymell baby Rice's 80 yard TD scamper and Eli and the Giants winning the Super Bowl.

you just unintentionally gave me an erection.

Who says it was unintentional ;)

Saints-Tigers
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

It's the system!

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
So Big Ben should get paid more than Manning?

Peyton Manning last signed a contract in 2004. In 2004 he hadn't won a Superbowl. Should he have gotten less money than Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson?

Off-field indescretions aside, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Especially when you factor age in.

Seamus2602
08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Off-field indescretions aside, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Especially when you factor age in.

And Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson? Should they have been paid more in 2004 than Peyton Manning?

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
And Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson? Should they have been paid more in 2004 than Peyton Manning?

Ben Roethlisberger, in 10 postseason games:
2239 yards, 15 tds, 12 ints, 8-2 record

Peyton Manning, first 10 postseason games:
2992 yards, 13 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, 6-4 record

The regular season is not the postseason. The Colts/their fans/Manning fanboys haven't figured it out yet.

Throwing for four TDs in week 7 against Detroit is great and all, but give me the guy who delivers in big games.

AntoinCD
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

You're looking at it in a very simplistic way. At least Roethlisberger has shown he is one of the better QBs of the decade. He is a top 10 QB in the league and has shown he can play extremely well at crunch time, see 4th quarter of the Superbowl against Arizona.

Dilfer and Johnson were nothing more than game managers who had ridiculous defenses, better defenses than the Steelers, but could only win one Superbowl a piece.

I wouldn't pay Roethlisberger more than Manning however the risk of a drop off in play is less likely with Big Ben due to the difference in age. However, if there is a debate over QBs on or around similar levels of play, then Superbowl wins is a huge determining factor. While he is not near Mannings level IMO, Big Ben has a 100% record in Superbowls and that has to be taken to account

Seamus2602
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not saying that rings shouldn't be a factor but the fact that Dilfer and Johnson didn't get paid more than most Quarterbacks and the fact that no one complained about it shows that rings aren't the only factor. There are huge factors to break down in this decision including rings, stats, value to the team, health, longevity and others. To break it down to a simple "Brady has more rings so he should have more money" scenario is nonsense.

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not saying that rings shouldn't be a factor but the fact that Dilfer and Johnson didn't get paid more than most Quarterbacks and the fact that no one complained about it shows that rings aren't the only factor. There are huge factors to break down in this decision including rings, stats, value to the team, health, longevity and others. To break it down to a simple "Brady has more rings so he should have more money" scenario is nonsense.

I would argue that "he has better stats in the season that doesn't matter (ie regular season)" is just as nonsensical.

Like I said, watching him carve up Houston and Jacksonville in October does little for me. I've watched him fail, repeatedly, in playoff games. It's not an accident, and it's not a coincidence. He cannot consistently raise the level of his play in important games.

Seamus2602
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I would argue that "he has better stats in the season that doesn't matter (ie regular season)" is just as nonsensical.

I would agree that basing the argument on only one part of the game is nonsense as well. People who say look at Brady's rings are talking nonsense. People who are saying look at Manning's stats are talking nonsense. You need to look at the whole picture, not just a tiny bit of it.

yourfavestoner
08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I would agree that basing the argument on only one part of the game is nonsense as well. People who say look at Brady's rings are talking nonsense. People who are saying look at Manning's stats are talking nonsense. You need to look at the whole picture, not just a tiny bit of it.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think you can really argue one deserves to be paid more than the other. They're both invaluable assets to their team. Each has positives and negatives that check and balance the other.

For the record, I still think the answer is (and will be) Brees when his contract is up.

Isn't Eli the highest paid right now?

Seamus2602
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
For the record, I still think the answer is (and will be) Brees when his contract is up.

No he's not. Brees is on the cover of Madden this year. That means that Week 1 he's going to tear one of his cruciate ligaments.

wicket
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM

we all know that brees shouldve won it at least once in the last two years, but atm the mvp is sadly mannings to lose