PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey/C. Woodson in their "Prime".....

katnip
08-13-2010, 12:28 AM
If you can reverse age. Where would they rank among Revis, Nmandi? Just curious, what you guys think. Never got to see those 2, even Nmandi today. Based off of reputation in the NFL

So you guys think it would be like this..........

1 - revis
465869770 = those other guys????

just bored

TitanHope
08-13-2010, 01:30 AM
If you can reverse age. Where would they rank among Revis, Nmandi? Just curious, what you guys think. Never got to see those 2, even Nmandi today. Based off of reputation in the NFL

1 - revis

just bored

Can you repeat the question in English, please?

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Can you repeat the question in English, please?

Or at least make it all the way through 3rd grade first?

TitanHope
08-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Or at least make it all the way through 3rd grade first?

Or could the question he poses be so deep, it raises more questions than it answers?

Why are Bailey and Woodson mentioned in the title, while only Nnamdi and Revis are in the body?
Is the use of "Prime" a reference to Deion Sanders?
Where the hell did he come up with those numbers?
Is 465869770 his social security number? Did the person reading this just now go back and count the digits of the number to see if it could really be a social security number?
Could this possibly be a finished madlib?

Science may never know. All I know for sure is that my eyes inexplicably start watering whenever I read the post. I'm not if that's good or bad though, to be honest.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Science may never know. All I know for sure is that my eyes inexplicably start watering whenever I read the post. I'm not if that's good or bad though, to be honest.

Consult with a physician immediately.

umphrey
08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Well Charles Woodson probably had his best year last year...

Michigan
08-13-2010, 08:28 AM

1 - revis

just bored

Based off of "reputation" in the NFL? What kind of criteria is that? And I'm pretty sure Revis' reputation is close to dead last right now with the holdout.

K Train
08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Bailey>Woodson

Bailey in his prime>Revis having one great year

i dont know if i answered the question in the format you were asking because it didnt make any sense.

and i guess you think revis is the best corner ever with having him one and the 465869770 as the rest

Shiver
08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Champ Bailey was always, always incredibly overrated. Teams were never afraid of him. In fact, several times he was the corner most thrown at. He has been punked by all sorts of great Wide Receivers. The guy was hardly a "shut down" anything. Charles Woodson was better over the long hall of his career, except for the last year or so in Oakland. Ty Law should be right up there too. To me, he had the best combination of regular and playoff season success.

Darrelle Revis isn't there yet, but a few more like last year and he will be considered the premier corner of this generation. Nnamdi has been great, but his team has held him down. Worst yet, since it is so easy to beat the Raiders no one tests him out. We haven't seen that big match-up between him and Larry Fitzgerald, with the game on the line, in the end-zone.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Champ in 06> Revis last year. Champ was absolute shutdown in 06.

Shiver
08-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, that was a great year for Champ Bailey. In fact, he should have won DPotY. He had interceptions galore and the Broncos ranked 5th against #1 receivers. However, that does not make up for the fact that he was very up and down over his career. He was as mediocre as can be in '04 and '05.

I would take Ty Law's resume every day and twice on Sunday. Not only was he a great corner in general, being the premier corner on three Super Bowl teams, but his post-season domination of Peyton Manning is something that is Canton-worthy. Even as a Chief in '06! When you can embarrass the guy who will likely be the top QB at every major statistical milestone in the playoffs on a consistent basis you are an all time great.

Splat
08-13-2010, 09:57 AM
If we forget about tackling I vote Prime Time.:)

nepg
08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Ty Law was considered by most around the NFL (including Deion) as the best CB ever when he was in New England. Woodson's always been really good and even underrated at times, but I don't think he's ever been considered the best in any given year. Bailey's been up and down, but has mostly been damn good.

We can't really judge Revis right now because he just doesn't have tenure, and hasn't done it for long enough. From what I can tell, he's closer to Law in that he's actually as good (or better in Law's case) than his reputation. Opposed to Woodson and Bailey, whose reputations rarely synched up with their actually ability in a given year or span of years.

Shiver
08-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Ty Law was considered by most around the NFL (including Deion) as the best CB ever when he was in New England. Woodson's always been really good and even underrated at times, but I don't think he's ever been considered the best in any given year. Bailey's been up and down, but has mostly been damn good.

We can't really judge Revis right now because he just doesn't have tenure, and hasn't done it for long enough. From what I can tell, he's closer to Law in that he's actually as good (or better in Law's case) than his reputation. Opposed to Woodson and Bailey, whose reputations rarely synched up with their actually ability in a given year or span of years.

I agree completely with everything in this post.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Champ Bailey was always, always incredibly overrated. Teams were never afraid of him. In fact, several times he was the corner most thrown at. He has been punked by all sorts of great Wide Receivers. The guy was hardly a "shut down" anything. Charles Woodson was better over the long hall of his career, except for the last year or so in Oakland. Ty Law should be right up there too. To me, he had the best combination of regular and playoff season success.

Thing is, Woodson was pretty overrated for a lot of his Oakland career. In his last few years he was worthless. He was more of an issue off the field than his play on the field was worth, but even earlier in his career he suffered from lapses in concentration. Despite the length of time spent in Oakland, I think he's been a much better Packer than he ever was as a Raider. Nnamdi Asomugha is already a far better player as a Raider.

Shiver
08-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Firstly, I have thoughts of Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens dominating Bailey etched into my mind. Stats are helpful: his teams were mediocre against #1 receivers quite a few times in his career. He was one of more targeted corners in the game, in stark contrast to Nnamdi Asomugha and Darrelle Revis this year. It seems to me that Woodson and Bailey were good enough to attract accolades and recognition, but not good enough to keep defensive coordinators from going after them with abandon.

Secondly, when Ty Law couldn't "mangle a WR down the field" he was in his thirties. I have a hunch that impacted his effectiveness far more than any slight interpretative adjustments to the rules.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Law is just as well known for have an awful season in the first year after that rule was passed. He led the league in PI calls and was generally useless.

Shiver
08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
But in the 'Champ Bailey/Charles Woodson' way of evaluating corners he had a great year! He had ten picks! And lots of tackles! Surely he did a great job!

(sans sarcasm, he was aging and coming off a severe injury. the rule change had little to do with it)

CC.SD
08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Rod Woodson

Shiver
08-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Hmmm Ty Law only played seven games in 2004... and he didn't return in the playoffs.... and the Patriots let him walk.... and he was 31 years old...

Must have been the new rule!

Paranoidmoonduck
08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
i don't recall EVER seeing a game plan targeting either. i recall seeing a lot of qbs go through their progression, think their guy was open, only to see either close on the play.

I do. I think that Bailey's first year as a Bronco, he was often the gameplanned target. He was the most targeted starting corner in the AFC that year and had such standout games like the one where Jerry Porter (Oakland's #1 wideout) scored three times over Bailey.

I don't care that much about it because Bailey starting racking up the turnovers by the next season, turned in a fantastic season in 2006, and then was one of the best shutdown corners in the league in 2007 (was targeted a minuscule number of times), but Bailey has certainly had years where team's were looking in his direction first and having success.

PoopSandwich
08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
doesnt matter jordy nelsonzzz and kellen winslow could easily dominate every player mentioned and put them in a nursing home sucking their thumbs for the rest of their meaningless lives

Vox Populi
08-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Champ in his prime > all of them. Maybe Nnamdi's 10 interception year, but Champ wasn't just a shut down corner, he could actually you know, play zone and blow up a running play if the runner bounced it outside. Champ was also in his prime for like 5+ years, Nnamdi's has been like 3ish, Revis is only in his third year or something and Woodson's career was so up and down because of injuries. Champ every day of the week.

TACKLE
08-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd easily put Nnamdi's 06-08 seasons up against any stretch by a CB this decade.

PackerLegend
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
The worst part about this is the fact that 2 of the corners Woodson/Aso were in Oakland. I wish Wood could have started in GB things might have been different. Maybe he wouldn't have been hurt so much and he would have helped us alot. Aso has just been stuck on a bad team and it would be nice to see him on a competitive one.