08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/statuses/21084833666

CC.SD
08-13-2010, 02:40 PM
He wants to play video games with Quinn Pitcock

scpanther22
08-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Update.If true I cant rip him for going to the priest hood.lol
Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, who covered Glen Coffee at Alabama, believes Coffee is retiring to pursue the priesthood.

"Having covered 49ers RB Glen Coffee for 3 years, not surprised he retired," tweeted Rapoport on Friday. "He has a higher call. Wouldn't shock me if he headed to ministry." The 49ers retain Coffee's rights, but it sounds like his retirement is for good. He'll remain under contract through 2012
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5175

phlysac
08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Update.If true I cant rip him for going to the priest hood.lol

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5175

The irony is that Coach Sing may have preferred the drafting of Coffee in 2009 because of his faith.

wicket
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
interesting, I like(d) him as a player tbqh

Shiver
08-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Having covered 49ers RB Glen Coffee for 3 years, not surprised he retired. He has a higher call. Wouldn't shock me if he headed to ministry

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/21086332704

lowlife
08-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

phlysac
08-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Now Hiring

Immediate needs for a #2 Running Back in San Francisco.
Please submit resume to Trent Baalke

Brent
08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
good thing we drafted Anthony Dixon

D-Unit
08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Coffee has been watching Anthony Dixon look like the best RB in camp. So I can see why he's retiring.

Brent
08-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Coffee has been watching Anthony Dixon look like the best RB in camp.
I have no idea where you are getting that from.

TitanHope
08-13-2010, 03:58 PM
There are some things that I personally can't criticize a guy quitting/abruptly taking off football for, and a person's religion is one of them.

Except if they're Hindu. But that's only because I see Ghandi as the "nut up or shut up" type.

descendency
08-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Quitting*

You can't retire before you hit season 4.

FUNBUNCHER
08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Strange. He gained like 15# in the offseason and looked more like a fulltime RB.

phlysac
08-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Initial article from the team website. Apparently Coach Singletary respected Coffee's decision so it doesn't appear to be related to the "doesn't like to be yelled at" scenario.

Coffee Tells 49ers He Intends to Retire
Posted by Taylor Price on August 13, 2010 – 12:55 PM

At the conclusion of Friday’s only training camp practice of the day, Mike Singletary announced that second-year running back Glen Coffee informed the 49ers he intends to retire from the National Football League.

Coffee released this statement through the team earlier on Friday:

“This has been a tough decision for me to make, but at this time in my life I feel it is best for me that I move on from football. I appreciate what the 49ers, my teammates and coaches have done for me, and I wish them a blessed season and all the best in the future.”

Singletary met with Coffee Friday morning and the two discussed the difficult decision.

“Glen informed us this morning of his intent to no longer play the game of football,” Singletary said. “I respect that. I appreciate everything that he’s done for the 49ers and whatever the issues are, I’m not going to go into all of the other stuff. You will have to talk to Glen about that. But I appreciate his honesty and I appreciate him not coming out here and going through the motions.”

Singletary insisted that the news of the day won’t become a distraction to his players and their goals for the upcoming season.

“I was telling someone just a little while ago that this has been one of the best weeks that we’ve had, and the reason why is because we have adversity. When you have to deal with adversity it allows you to focus. It would be very easy to go through the entire offseason and go through training camp without facing any adversity at all, and go into the season and you have one setback and think, ‘Oh my goodness, how are we going to deal with that?’ We can deal with anything. We’re dealing with this in stride and continuing to have our best practice, the guys are continuing to be enthusiastic about what they are thinking about, their focus. I think our guys understand, we’re going to have some adversity and when we do the most important thing is how we deal with it. We respond, and we move forward.”

Singletary called Coffee an “exceptional young man” adding, “I hold him in very high regard.”

Coffee was slated to be the 49ers No. 2 running back, and Singletary indicated that rookie Anthony Dixon and veteran Michael Robinson would be in competition to assume that position.

“(Dixon) is going to step into the same role,” Singletary said. “He and Coffee were competing to see who that backup guy was going to be. And right now, it really forces Dixon to grow up really quick. It’s one of those things where he is going to take more snaps; he’s going to get more of the workload.

“I would say right now we are just going to go through this process and see what we come up with in the personnel department and just go forward with that and let things continue to work themselves out.”

phlysac
08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Apparently Coffee told Coach Sing today that one of the reasons he left Alabama early was because he had uncertainties regarding his future in football.

I really wish they'd have known that pre-draft! And if they did... Oh man.

descendency
08-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Apparently Coffee told Coach Sing today that one of the reasons he left Alabama early was because he had uncertainties regarding his future in football.

I don't know who drafted him, but I don't see Singletary drafting a guy who isn't 100% dedicated to football.

bam bam
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
This decision is nuttier than Charles Manson eating Froot Loops on my front porch.

He can do much more for god and the community by getting wealthy and perusing ministry on the side rather then going into ministry full time at 23. Think of the foundations and projects he can start with that $$.

(PFT had a tweet with a beat writer saying he wouldn't be surprised if Coffee goes into Ministry)

yourfavestoner
08-13-2010, 06:23 PM

See? I've got a feeling this is more common that you think.

I was burnt out on football by the end of my senior season in high school. I had a couple offers at small, small schools. I do not regret the decision to not play at all. In fact, it was probably the best decision I ever made and led to much more personal happiness.

yourfavestoner
08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't know who drafted him, but I don't see Singletary drafting a guy who isn't 100% dedicated to football.

Meh, you can still say the right things and give a convincing effort to something even if your heart isn't all the way in it. I know plenty of people who hate their job. But you wouldn't know it because they take self-pride in their work, keep the complaining to themselves, and grind it out for a check.

J-Mike88
08-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Whatever floats your boat.
Yep, everybody has to answer to the man upstairs at some point in time.
Kudos to Mister Coffee for listening to Him now, before it's too late.
IF that's what the case is here.....

J-Mike88
08-13-2010, 06:54 PM
See? I've got a feeling this is more common that you think.

I was burnt out on football by the end of my senior season in high school. I had a couple offers at small, small schools. I do not regret the decision to not play at all. In fact, it was probably the best decision I ever made and led to much more personal happiness.
And perhaps saved you from a torn ACL or broken leg. You'll never know.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Good for him. When it comes to playing football, you simply can't do it if you're not in it. And maybe he left early enough to be able to climb freely up and down stairs and play with his grandkids(depending on how priesty he gets)

jballa838
08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
people talk about God, Coffee dedicated his life to him. respect and wish him luck, but he shouldn't need it.

Ness
08-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Shame. I wanted to see what he could do with all of the apparent improvement he had made in the offseason.

nrk
08-14-2010, 04:34 AM
I never thought he was a great hb in the first place. Hopefully he is "retiring" for the reason he says, if so props to him.

phlysac
08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Exclusive phone interview with Glen Coffee...

Coffee: I've already told Christ it's time to go

I called Glen Coffee at his Los Gatos apartment at 8:30 this morning. When I told him who I was, he said he was told not to talk to the media. But he said he would because, "I feel like it needs to be known why I did what I did." Coffee seemed very confidant of his decision and was happy and thoughtful throughout the conversation. There is an ongoing push - from teammates, family members, etc. - to get him to return to the team, but it's very hard to see them winning Coffee over. If you ask me, his decision is final. Here's the exclusive interview:

The first question I asked him was why, why step away from such a lucrative profession?

Coffee: "It was a struggle for a long time. Actually when I look back I feel I never should have entered the draft in the first place. Football was no longer my dream. I found Christ in college. It changed my views on everything. But I still was a football player because it was expected of me, it was something I did all my life. I was basically wasting the (49ers') time."

Why do you think you couldn't reconcile football and your faith?

Coffee: "His will, I felt, wasn't football. I felt like I forced football because everyone expected me to play football. He told me a long time ago to walk away from the game."

What will you do now?

Coffee: "It's simple. I'm going back to school." Coffee, who left the University of Alabama after his junior year, said he needed only six hours to get an undergraduate degree in consumer affairs. However, he plans to get a master's as well.

I noted that Alabama associates him with football more than anywhere else. Will it be hard to return to a school that knows you as a tailback?

Coffee: "It's going to be both. There's going to be people that understand and there's going to be people that don't understand and don't care to understand. They're going to feed off that negativity. That's life."

There has been speculation that outside influences, something like a failed drug test, prompted your decision. Can you put that to rest?

Coffee (laughs): "Yesterday I was reading on the Internet and some reporter said I made the decision because I got blown up in a blocking drill. Come on, man! Give me more credit than that! But I've got to expect that when I do something so unexpectedly. No, there were no personal issues. But I really am sorry that I put the 49ers in this situation. I should have handled it a lot differently."

You've been working nonstop since the 2009 season ended to transform your body and become a better running back. How do you do that when your mind's not fully into football?

Coffee: "Because whatever you do, you've got to do it to glorify Christ. You've got to do it 100 percent. Even though my head - it was sort of me holding onto the sport. I tried to get all the way into it."

Did the harshness of Mike Singletary's training camp play a role?

Coffee: "No. It's what we do. We're football players. I'm not walking away because of that. As far as coach Singletary and the 49ers - Singletary, that dude is legit. He's legit on all levels. He's doing what he feels is right. It's definitely not camp (that prompted his decision) and how hard camp was. That's football."

Was it difficult to tell Singletary your decision Friday morning?

Coffee: "It wasn't necessarily that I thought he was going to me mad at me. It was that I didn't take lightly that I was leaving my teammates. Because they thought I was going to war with them."

Any way you will reconsider?

Coffee: "No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/coffee-ive-alre.html

wonderbredd24
08-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't get why this is a big deal? If it was Frank Gore, sure, but it's Glen Coffee. Meh.

Splat
08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Cool for him and I can respect that, football is not a game you can play if your heart isn't in to it he is better off he could have ended up getting hurt if is mind/heart wasn't in to the game.

Complex
10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/10/08/ex-nfl-star-glen-coffee-the-mug-shot/

"Glen Coffee -- the former San Francisco 49ers star who recently retired after one season to pursue a religious calling -- was arrested for illegally carrying a "cocked" automatic pistol in his car ... and TMZ has obtained his mug shot.

According to police in Fort Walton Beach, Florida ... 23-year-old Coffee was pulled over for speeding ... but cops quickly discovered that Glen's vehicle -- a 2008 Cadillac -- had no registration or insurance.

Because the vehicle was deemed "unlawful to be on the roadway," cops called for the Cadillac to be towed ... but first, they ran a quick search -- and found a "black 380 SIG Sauer automatic pistol."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ ... "The pistol was recovered with the hammer 'cocked' to the rear. It was located in the center console ... readily accessible to Coffee."

Coffee was arrested and taken to a nearby station -- where he was booked for carrying a concealed firearm ... a 3rd degree felony.

Coffee had a stellar rookie season with the 49ers ... but suddenly "retired" during training camp this year claiming "[God] told me a long time ago to walk away from the game.”

abaddon41_80
10-08-2010, 01:34 PM
He is clearly using the gun and unregistered vehicle to fight crime in the lord's name

Cicero
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me...

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I sure do hate lines like that^ cuz hey, youve never made a mistake but this guys stupid. Anyway, this is sad.

Cicero
10-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I sure do hate lines like that^ cuz hey, youve never made a mistake but this guys stupid. Anyway, this is sad.

I can guarantee you I'll never be driving an unregistered, uninsured car with a cocked pistol that I do not have a permit for in my center console. There's making mistakes and then there's **** like this.

tjsunstein
10-08-2010, 02:03 PM
You can't script stuff like this.

V.I.P
10-08-2010, 02:05 PM
When i saw this thread bumped i thought he un-retired or something, but wow this guys a idiot.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I can guarantee you I'll never be driving an unregistered, uninsured car with a cocked pistol that I do not have a permit for in my center console. There's making mistakes and then there's **** like this.

There are other poor decisions you could make, Cicero. Im just saying we shouldnt be so quick to dismiss people as stupid.

CC.SD
10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Anyone who is shocked hasn't seen boondock saints

CashmoneyDrew
10-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Chances he was going to potentially hurt himself as opposed to someone else?

wonderbredd24
10-08-2010, 04:00 PM

That was what crossed my mind at first too.

terribletowel39
10-08-2010, 04:48 PM

That was what crossed my mind at first too.
Coffee: "No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."

Yup.

FUNBUNCHER
10-08-2010, 05:37 PM
He is clearly using the gun and unregistered vehicle to fight crime in the lord's name

Blasphemous, but Oh! so funny!@@!!!

Coffee lost his desire to play football, and for some reason he's blaming it on his religious faith IMO.
I just think the kid burned out, but he's going to realize soon that from a financial standpoint, bringing home NFL checks in a down economy is a great way to ride out a recession.

Without better options, it's not always the best idea to quit your job.

EDIT: Never saw the suicide angle until I read the last few posts. Man I hope the guy isn't going through some serious mental health issues, like clinical depression.

But when you re-read his earlier statement and the circumstances of his arrest, I dunno.

McBain
10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
He should get on the broncos... he and Tebow could tear up the pre season with the might of god. Maybe some Christian variation of the mile high salute.

BigDawg819
10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
He should get on the broncos... he and Tebow could tear up the pre season with the might of god. Maybe some Christian variation of the mile high salute.

Pretty sure Lord Goodell would not allow this, even with St. Tebow's blessing...

lowlife
10-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Jesus told him that a mosque was being built in Florida.

Splat
10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
This makes me sad.

brat316
10-08-2010, 09:55 PM
There are some things that I personally can't criticize a guy quitting/abruptly taking off football for, and a person's religion is one of them.

Except if they're Hindu. But that's only because I see Ghandi as the "nut up or shut up" type.

Wooo buddy crossing lines there...do you want me to challenge you to a du-AL? Slap you across the face with my white glove? Is that nutting up for you?

But on to Coffee. He is doing drive bys...he thought it was his calling.

brat316
10-08-2010, 09:57 PM

but with an automatic pistol that would make a mess...it would seem more like a drive by or run and gun.

PoopSandwich
10-08-2010, 10:11 PM
No offense but when christ is "talking to you" and "telling you to walk away from football" then somethings ******* wrong... Not surprised he's an idiot who carries a loaded automatic pistol.

TitanHope
10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I have absolutely no problem with someone carrying a handgun in their car - loaded or unloaded.

But to have an automatic gun in there while you're driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle? Nicely done...

AND BRING IT BHAARAT!

Rabscuttle
10-09-2010, 09:56 AM
He may very well be suicidal thinking he misheard God speaking to him. Afterall, if anyone is seeking God for answers right now it would be the Niners. He left his mission field.

CC.SD
10-09-2010, 03:14 PM
What if God told him to kill people? admit this theory makes as much sense as his other decisions.

Rosebud
10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd love to see faith become a red flag when evaluating prospects.

hawkeye123
10-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I'd love to see faith become a red flag when evaluating prospects.

Wtf? Why would it be a red flag...?

Coffee just lost the desire to play football.

Rosebud
10-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Wtf? Why would it be a red flag...?

Coffee just lost the desire to play football.

I was just entertaining the hypothetical that no one proposed where multiple players started using their faith as an excuse for their lack of desire to continue playing football and teams become weary of excessive faith as a sign of a lack of dedication to football. Not that that's what I think just a hypothetical who's irony I got a kick out of.

yourfavestoner
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I was just entertaining the hypothetical that no one proposed where multiple players started using their faith as an excuse for their lack of desire to continue playing football and teams become weary of excessive faith as a sign of a lack of dedication to football. Not that that's what I think just a hypothetical who's irony I got a kick out of.

Already happened with Tebow.

Ness
10-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Coffee leaving the team is the only thing good that has happened for the 49ers this season.

Gay Ork Wang
10-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Coffee leaving the team is the only thing good that has happened for the 49ers this season.
firing of Jim Rayne?

Ness
10-10-2010, 06:51 AM
firing of Jim Rayne?

True. That was after we started losing games though.

phlysac
10-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm hearing that he couldn't "immediately provide proof of registration" not that the vehicle wasn't registered. Perhaps he just didn't have the paperwork in the car.

I also read this which is VERY interesting, if true...

The law simply says that the gun must be "securely encased". And Florida courts have unquestionably ruled that simply a CLOSED (not locked) console meets this standard. Also, the gun can be carried loaded and cocked, as apparently Mr. Coffee's was. The law is ss790.25(3)(l) if you want to check it. This was a bad arrest, so hopefully Mr. Coffee gets a decent lawyer.

CJSchneider
10-10-2010, 12:01 PM
What's the source on that just out of curiosity? I believe in CA, you can carry the gun in the glove-box, but it may not be loaded and the ammo must be in a separate location.

Ness
10-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Just don't have a gun in your car. Problem solved. If you're going to a place where you need to have a gun with you, you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place.

Rabscuttle
10-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Just don't have a gun in your car. Problem solved. If you're going to a place where you need to have a gun with you, you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place.

The third world mission fields of Florida can be pretty rough.

phlysac
10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
What's the source on that just out of curiosity? I believe in CA, you can carry the gun in the glove-box, but it may not be loaded and the ammo must be in a separate location.

Florida state statutes

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/0790.html