PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NFL Truths and Thoughts

yourfavestoner
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm jumping back on the Truths bandwagon.

Look Out for Washington, Chicago, and Miami

These three teams have largely been overshadowed or dismissed in favor of the other more ballyhooed teams in their division (although Miami seems to be becoming a trendier pick as we move closer to the season). I don’t necessarily think these teams will win all their division, it wouldn’t surprise me either. I think all three will at the very least be fighting for playoff spots down the stretch. They just all happen to be playing in very tough divisions.

The Donovan McNabb trade was lauded for the Redskins. He’s going to be huge for that team. He’s had big game struggles, but he’s still better than a lot of starting quarterbacks in this league. They’ve also added two apparent bookends at tackle, in a system catered to athletic linemen. Clinton Portis had his most productive years under Shannahan. While he was a completely different type of back at that time, Shannahan’s system can still be incredibly effective with a power back, which Portis has essentially become. Far less talented backs have killed it in that system, and Portis will transition back to it pretty seamlessly.

The talent on their defense is outstanding. For all the conundrum Albert Haynesworth receives, he can still be a force at DE or NT in the 3-4. Him going at 80% is better than most linemen at 120%. He’s that good. Regardless of the conditioning test fiasco, he appears to be in better shape than he was at any point in Tennesee.

They’ve got a damn good team, but injuries will be key since they have little to no depth at key positions. But my oh my will it be pretty watching McNabb run the zone boot.

Chicago is a team I see a lot of potential in, and it has more to do with their defense. Julius Peppers, relieved to no longer being the big fish in a small pond, is going to beast it this year. The problem with Chicago’s defense the past couple years has been a consistent pass rush and injuries to Urlacher and Harris (the two best and most important players on their defense). Again, injuries aside (because they’re impossible to predict) I think this unit climbs back to elite ranks.

I really question how Jay Cutler will fare in a deep drop system that usually relies on six or less blockers. The results could be ugly. However, I still have a ton of faith in Cutler, and Martz’s system will give him plenty of opportunity to let it rip. I like their receiving corp more than most. It’s got a ton of upside, and Knox and Hester were born to play in that type of offense.

Miami is a team I’ve been touting all offseason. I love Chad Henne, and I think he ends up being the difference in the quest to topple the Pats in the East. I expect him to have a much better year than Sanchez. He’s got a nasty o-line, a nasty running game, and Marshall is really going to open their offense up. It’s Henne’s time.

The Dolphins are one of those teams that had to take a step back before taking two forward. Their tranformation from a 1-15 team to a division winner was incredibly impressive, but they rode a weak schedule. It’s a similar situation to the one the Chargers faced in the early 2000s. They won their division in a down year, missed the playoffs the next year due to losing a series of close games (hence: learning how to win/close consistently) and have largely been a dominant force since (BTW, this whole thing I’ve said about the Dolphins can be said for the Falcons, too).

Homer Corner
I’m totally stealing this idea from BlindSite. I need to talk about Jacksonville a little since they're a team that’s not discussed on topics outside of Tebow (still), Alualu, and blackouts.

GM Gene Smith gutted the roster that year and turned around and had the most productive draft class in the league. They started the year off fairly well, but the team was horribly inconsistent and the team hit a wall late in the season and production from the defensive line completely bottomed out.

The d-line received a ton of attention in the offseason. The Jags could have traded down for Alualu, I know. He doesn't quite have McCoy's talent, but their measurables are almost identical, and he was very productive and disruptive in college. Had the dude been playing in a 4-3 defense that showcased him, he wouldn’t have been nearly as under the radar as he was.

Also, Mighty Might Mike Thomas is the second coming of Steve Smith (CAR). Book it.

I think they’ll be much improved talent wise this year, but consistency has been the mark of teams in the Del Rio area. They could go anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 depending on the kind of breaks they get and if they stay healthy.

Jumbled, Random Thoughts Going Into the Season

- I have no idea what the **** is going to happen in the AFC West. Any team can win that division right now. It’s completely up for grabs
- The Ravens will rank higher in offense than in defense this year
- Other than at offensive line, this is probably the best and deepest team the Colts have ever fielded. I’ll extremely interested to see how this year turns out for them
- Brandon Spikes will win DPOTY. I talked enough about it in a thread in the draft section, but he’s pretty much got the spot next to Mayo on lockdown, and Belichick loves him. BB found his new Mike Vrabel.
- Jahvid Best will win OROTY. That offense is going to be downright explosive if Stafford has progressed as much as everyone says he has
- Speaking of last year’s rookie QBs, Josh Freeman’s bandwagon is really gonna start growing after this year

That’s pretty much all I’ve got right now. I’ve had a ton of different thoughts bounce through my head throughout the offseason, and I’ll write them in here as they come to me.

Feedback is always appreciated, and discussion is always, always encouraged (that’s why we’re all here isn’t it?)

wonderbredd24
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm definitely a believer in the Dolphins and think they can win that division, but I don't see the Redskins or Bears finishing better than 3rd in their respective divisions. Neither team has much of anything in terms of receivers and they are just outmanned in terms of overall talent by 2 teams in their divisions. New York and Dallas for the Redskins and Minnesota and Green Bay for the Bears.

Brent
08-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Speaking of last yearís rookie QBs, Josh Freemanís bandwagon is really gonna start growing after this year
I'm a big believe in Freeman. I love the guy & the direction of that organization.

wonderbredd24
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm a big believe in Freeman. I love the guy & the direction of that organization.

Freeman could be a good QB, but it's going to difficult to tell. He's throwing to a gimp, 2 rookies, and a 2nd year receiver and the Bucs just don't run the ball very well. Someone needs to step up.

Babylon
08-13-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd go with Chicago out of those to watch. You add Julius Peppers and Urlacher to that defense and there should be fireworks there. Jay Cutler cant repeat his mistakes from a year ago, can he?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
I'd go with Chicago out of those to watch. You add Julius Peppers and Urlacher to that defense and there should be fireworks there. Jay Cutler cant repeat his mistakes from a year ago, can he?

Is Urlacher the same player he used to be? He's been absent from the pro bowl since 2006. I know hes an upgrade over whoever they plugged in there but i don't think he can make the plays he used to make.

Scotty D
08-13-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm with you on the potential of the Lions offense. Scheffler, Pettigrew, Best, Calvin, Burleson, Stafford is a good group. We are running a lot of two TE sets and reports are saying Stafford is night and day from last year. Trading for LG Rob Sims and getting RG Stephen Peterman back from injury has solidified the offensive line. Derrick Williams is having a great camp as well. Watch out for second year running back Aaron Brown as a sleeper.

Go_Eagles77
08-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Kevin Kolb will have a better season than Donovan McNabb this year.

08-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Kevin Kolb will have a better season than Donovan McNabb this year.

*shakes head (again)*

How about Kevin Kolb will lead the league in INTs?

Toan
08-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Here's my NFL Truths:

Buffalo sucks.

Go_Eagles77
08-13-2010, 10:02 PM
*shakes head (again)*

I really don't get all the hate for Kolb around the league. Have you really seen enough of him to believe this?

Scotty D
08-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I really don't get all the hate for Kolb around the league. Have you really seen enough of him to believe this?

Have you seen enough of him to believe he will have a better season than Donovan?

MidwayMonster31
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Good assessment on the Bears. Peppers will make that defense better. Not having Urlacher really hurt last year, so I think he will come back with something to prove. Harris is also finally not coming back from some kind of surgery. The Bears have a lot of young guys who can step up on the D (Bowman, Gilbert, Melton, Wootton, Wright and Moore).
I also agree with you on the offense. The Bears offensive line will probably be a problem and with Martz's scheme, I can see Cutler getting clobbered a lot this year. I think it will be a lot like before, where Cutler will get a lot of yards, but it won't mean much.
At least I'm not the only one high on the Dolphins this year. Marshall and Dansby were great acquisitions. Odrick and Koa Misi weren't the sexy picks, but they can start for a while. The Dolphins will be able to dominate in the trenches on both sides. Henne can do better this year, but I am concerned about Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. If they can't run, the offense will really have problems.

keylime_5
08-13-2010, 10:12 PM
I think he will have a better statistical year than McNabb as well. Having a good OLine and the good weapons that the Eagles have and Andy Reid will get him there. McNabb/Shanahan combo I think will give the Redskins 7-9 wins in the hardest division in the league, but their receivers are gonna be a sore spot.

A Perfect Score
08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
I like Freeman just as much as Stafford or Sanchez. Ill be shocked if he doesnt make huge leaps this year in terms of progression.

prock
08-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Peppers had effort issues in Carolina, and now that he got his guaranteed green, who is to say he won't mail it in even more? I am not buying it.

Fat_Actor
08-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Freeman could be a good QB, but it's going to difficult to tell. He's throwing to a gimp, 2 rookies, and a 2nd year receiver and the Bucs just don't run the ball very well. Someone needs to step up.

We cant run the ball because our RBs are average at best. Just think we had a shot at Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

LonghornsLegend
08-14-2010, 02:04 AM
YFS, do you really see Thomas as a guy with that type of ability? I thought he may have been more of a slot guy, but he could be more. Dude is explosive, and he's definately 1 of my breakout guys this year.

Also, do you think Jarrett Dillard is ever gonna amount to anything or what? I really didn't see him as a guy who would bust and really reminded me alot of Isaac Bruce to be honest, he broke so many records at Rice I figured at worst he would be a Patrick Crayton type of WR(which he still can).

I respect your opinion on this because I remember asking you about Mike Sims-Walker about a year before he really broke out.

bigbluedefense
08-14-2010, 07:00 AM
I think Washington will be better than most people think. I don't see them battling for the division, but they could potentially fight for a wild card spot.

I see them being an 8-8 team when the dust settles.

I have Miami winning the division. I'm a huge Henne fan, love Brandon Marshall, and I think with the additions to the defense, the growth of Smith and Davis, plus the addition of Mike Nolan, this team takes the next step.

I love the Alualu pick. I think he's gonna be like Chris Johnson. Everyone was like wow why did the Titans reach for him?! Now no one ever even mentions it. In fact, they're saying their team should have taken him. Alualu will be that guy.

Jacksonville's GM doesn't get enough credit, he's done an incredible job in 2 years. He's built up both lines back to respectability.

Not a fan of Chicago though. I think the team has lost faith in the coaching staff. And they're just not that good. I love Cutler, but its not his time yet.

I love me some Brandon Spikes

Not a Josh Freeman fan at all. I think he sucks quite honestly.

And doubleu tee eff man? No Giants love? :p

Good thread.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Washington has to show me something before I watch out for them. Show me some consistency in being good. Then I will consider them a threat. Until then, like always, it should be a 3 team race.

prock
08-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Washington has to show me something before I watch out for them. Show me some consistency in being good. Then I will consider them a threat. Until then, like always, it should be a 3 team race.

None of the 3 teams he listed to watch for have shown anything. None of them have been consistent. That is why he is WATCHING for them. He predicts that they will be dangerous this year.

Gay Ork Wang
08-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Martz cant be worse than Turner can he? CAN HE? cause i just cant imagine that

Rosebud
08-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I just don't see it with the bears or skins. The bears receiving corps has a number of good young pieces but that OL + Mike Martz' 5-7 step drops is terrifying for poor Jay Cutler. The D could be a lot better but the NFC is just too strong for them to make much noise with that OL and scheme.

In Washington Trent Williams and Jamal Brown are nice additions to the OL, but the interior is still piss poor and both Williams and Brown have a lot to prove. The running game should be solid but no more than solid and their receivers are hugely unproven. I really just don't see that offense being more than mediocre with Shanny running the show.

Miami I fully buy expect to secure a wildcard spot even though I think the Pats can hold onto that division.

Gay Ork Wang
08-14-2010, 12:58 PM
the oline has no Orlando Pace anymore. they were a lot better without him.

Scotty D
08-14-2010, 01:00 PM
the oline has no Orlando Pace anymore. they were a lot better without him.

The guards are terrible.

Sniper
08-14-2010, 01:02 PM
*shakes head (again)*

Duck and chuck, baby. Duck and chuck.

Gay Ork Wang
08-14-2010, 02:06 PM
The guards are terrible.
Omiyale isnt playing guard anmore. Garza was okay, moved now to the other side.

J-Mike88
08-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Not all of them. But some of them, sure. Even if he tried to repeat them all, he couldn't. There were dozens.

LizardState
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Going waaaaay out on a limb here:

The personification of Mr. Calculated Risk himself, Brett Favre, will play for the Vikes, all this hesitation waltz is a dance we've seen from him too many times from this attention ***** & nobody believes his retirement hints. But he won't finish the season, in fact will finish his NFL career like Ken Stabler did with the Saints, hit hard & rolling around in pain as the injuries do affect them when a QB well past prime suffers that big hit from a d-lineman who outweighs him by 75-90 lbs. The Vikings couldn't protect him against the human sack machine named Julius Peppers last yr. so how do they hope to do it against him twice this yr. now that he's in their division? And that's best case, if he stays the full yr. he will start throwing those trademark INTs that add to his career rcd. & sink the Vikings playoffs hopes.

Call me a homer: Dallas will advance one rd. further in the playoffs to the NFC CG & the media hype of the Cowboys as SB home field team will become overwhelming. They will have to do it through winning out early & securing home field throughout the playoffs, winning on the road in the playoffs especially in northern tier outdoor stadiums is very difficult & almost impossible.

Not so far out on a limb:

One NFL coach will be fired before the season ends in January. Leading contender is Eric Mangini in Cleveland where he is very unpopular & Holmgren is the wizard behind the curtain.

Also vulnerable to the coaching hotseat is McCarthy at Green Bay unless they turn their pass protection around, the Pack gave up more sacks than anyone last yr. & their fans are expecting nothing less than a SB run & a Pro Bowl performance from Rodgers.

Moving the umpire out of the way in the middle will cut the catches, receiving & YAC yardage totals of WRs & TEs without that free blocker in the short zone.

The offseason woes of the Steelers will cost them deeply in their division race, without Date Rape Roethlisberger & Hines Ward's age catching up to him they will be at best mediocre. The Ravens have many & more serious (Kindle with a cracked skull lost for the yr?) preseason injuries too, so the AFC West foes to Cincy again unless B-More can stay healthy through the playoffs.

New O-linemen starting in SF, GB, Seattle & elsewhere will disappoint before they're heralded as studly beasts & Pro Bowl shoo-ins (I almost said Chicago Bears but do they have any newcomers on their OL? IDTS & it will come back to bite them). IMO it takes more than a yr, maybe at least 3 yrs. in the same system to learn the intricacies of pass & run blocking at the pro level. Every yr though there is one unsung hero OT who comes out of the back of the pack & becomes the Next D'Brickashaw or Joe Thomas, this yr. I think it will be Roger Saffold with the Rams, largely b/c they can only get better & the expectations aren't as high.

There will be very little FA movement or trades b/c NFL FOs as well as most of the players are waiting to see how the new CBA takes shape.

08-14-2010, 04:30 PM
The personification of Mr. Calculated Risk himself, Brett Favre, will play for the Vikes, all this hesitation waltz is a dance we've seen from him too many times from this attention ***** & nobody believes his retirement hints. But he won't finish the season, in fact will finish his NFL career like Ken Stabler did with the Saints, hit hard & rolling around in pain as the injuries do affect them when a QB well past prime suffers that big hit from a d-lineman who outweighs him by 75-90 lbs. The Vikings couldn't protect him against the human sack machine named Julius Peppers last yr. so how do they hope to do it against him twice this yr. now that he's in their division? And that's best case, if he stays the full yr. he will start throwing those trademark INTs that add to his career rcd. & sink the Vikings playoffs hopes.

Since '04, Favre has practically been alternating between good/bad yrs. You could end up being right, indeed.

LizardState
08-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Chicago is a team I see a lot of potential in, and it has more to do with their defense.

Again their overall success hinges on their OL & Cutler getting in synch with that offense. Bringing in Chester Taylor who has the experience to complement Forte was a positive stroke & those RBs should slow down the pass rush, hopefully remove that look of panic from Cutler's face.

They're sticking with the Martz system despite its failure in St. Louis, Detroit & SF. They paid the high price lat yr. with that high risk system, hopefully this yr. the high reward p/o of it will emerge after a yr's experience.

The Bears had a horrible draft but had A+ FA & veteran offseason adds with Peppers & Taylor. I had them as my surprise team last yr & they crashed & burned. I hoping for Tommie Harris to finally come back from that injury & Jarron Gilbert to see some playing time on the DL.

Gay Ork Wang
08-14-2010, 05:26 PM
We actually have Chris Williams at LT, Garza at LG, C Kreutz, RG Lance Louis and RT Omiyale. So basically only Kreutz at the position he played last year

also idk why we had a horrible draft

descendency
08-14-2010, 05:31 PM
The Raiders will have more wins than the Bears.

in that system with those blockers, Cutler will either lead the league in INTs or deaths.

MidwayMonster31
08-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I can see the Raiders having more wins than the Bears, but I think that's mainly because the Raiders have an easier schedule (on paper). It will be interesting to see how they use all of those pass rushers they have. Campbell is a better quarterback than he got credit for at Washington and their offensive line will improve. They have done well against the good teams last year, so they can finish around .500, give or take a game.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-14-2010, 06:38 PM
The bears offensive line sucks worse than having diabetes...sorry Jay.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 01:03 AM
I switched NO and Atlanta. Unless they suffer massive injuries, I think the Saints are going to be the real deal again and will hit the ground running.

I still think Atlanta and Carolina both make the playoffs as Wildcards, though. And I think Tampa will be much improved. My sleeper pick for the best division in the NFL next year.

I agree with you on Tampa. Im a believer. Freeman should be the real deal, and the defense has some really nice pieces. They're closer than most think IMO.

I don't think the division comes away with 3 playoff spots, but mainly because of the competition. I think the North has 2 of the top 4 teams in the conference, and the Giants could be in the mix as well (though I don't know how that defense translates with Perry Fewell).
Either way, I have Atlanta in the mix, and I can see Carolina making a push if they get a good year from the QB spot.
If Jimmy Clausen is who I think he is, this division could be the best in the NFL in a year or two.

Due to schedule and what I expect with be a bottoming out with Favre (either due to injury or poor performance - he's alternated between good and bad years pretty much every year since 2004). When you factor in how incredibly difficult their schedule is, I'm just not feeling it for them. With Favre as damaged goods and the WR corp hurting, their season pretty much rests on how well Bryant McKinnie, and that scares me.

If the Bears defense can find the fountain of youth and stay injury free, I could see them challenging the Vikings for the second spot in the division. The Lions should be vastly improved also. I see the Packers first and the Vikings third, and Chicago and Detroit in some order of two and four. I don't know which which it will be, between the two, though.

Some posts from the standings prediction thread.

Also, where does everyone think Bill Cowher ends up?

I think it's fairly obvious now that he retired to spend time with his wife, who was far more ill than anybody thought. Now that she's passed, I think he'll be looking for a job again at the end of next year (trying not to sound insensitive there).

I've always thought he'd go to Carolina, as I've believed they'd let Fox walk after this season (asinine move IMO, he's one of the most underrated coaches in the NFL). I think the Panthers surprise this year, though, and earn a wildcard spot in the playoffs.

The Panthers could just as easily bomb out if Moore doesn't play well and they're forced to go with Clausen. If that happens, I think they let Fox become a free agent.

Where will Cowher and/or Fox end up next year?

A Perfect Score
09-02-2010, 01:10 AM
John Fox is a hell of a coach and one of my favorites in the entire league. I think it would be a huge mistake for Carolina to let him go, but the consensus seems to be he's gone regardless of wht the Panthers do this year. I could maybe see Fox somewhere like Chicago if Lovie Smith is shown the door. Also, Jacksonville might be a fit seeing as how Del Rio is probably on his way out as well. Just a few franchises that seem to fit.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 01:25 AM
John Fox is a hell of a coach and one of my favorites in the entire league. I think it would be a huge mistake for Carolina to let him go, but the consensus seems to be he's gone regardless of wht the Panthers do this year. I could maybe see Fox somewhere like Chicago if Lovie Smith is shown the door. Also, Jacksonville might be a fit seeing as how Del Rio is probably on his way out as well. Just a few franchises that seem to fit.

I'd be ecstatic if he came to Jacksonville. I don't think Del Rio's necessarily a bad coach, but he's inflexible and has had the team blow up down the stretch way too many times.

I've got mixed feelings on Del Rio. His 2007 season was probably the best coaching job in the league outside of Belichick going 16-0, and I thought he did a very good job of getting the rookie class involved and putting them in productive roles for them. There's something about him, though, that causes an air of unfocus to be around the Jaguars all the time. They'll play great against a good opponent one week, and completely suck and get blown out by a **** team the next week. They're bi-polar under him.

A Perfect Score
09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
If Im being honest, I like Del Rio as a coach. He's got great intensity, personality, and I love the way he manages certain aspects of his team. At the same time, I think you are right...the Jags are far too Jekyll and Hyde under him. I dont know if he just needs a change of scenery, but I do think he can be a very successful coach in the NFL.

BlindSite
09-02-2010, 03:38 AM
I agree, but from what I've heard Fox might not want to stay in Carolina. I've heard that he's gone whether or not the team offers him a contract and more than it being one-side wanting the other gone more than the other, it's somewhat mutual.

If Fox leaves or rather, when fox leaves as the word around the wire seems to be I expect Davidson or Meeks to become HC, more likely Davidson who would make a good candidate imo.

AntoinCD
09-02-2010, 03:52 AM
I'd be ecstatic if he came to Jacksonville. I don't think Del Rio's necessarily a bad coach, but he's inflexible and has had the team blow up down the stretch way too many times.

I've got mixed feelings on Del Rio. His 2007 season was probably the best coaching job in the league outside of Belichick going 16-0, and I thought he did a very good job of getting the rookie class involved and putting them in productive roles for them. There's something about him, though, that causes an air of unfocus to be around the Jaguars all the time. They'll play great against a good opponent one week, and completely suck and get blown out by a **** team the next week. They're bi-polar under him.

I like Del Rio as well but I think he's linked with David Garrard as far as career in Jacksonville is concerned. When he annointed Garrard the starter and got rid of Leftwich he was pretty much putting all his eggs in Garrard's basket. After the first season it looked like a great call but now not so much. And I think bi-polar would be a great way to describe Garrard's QB play as well. He will make some great plays, both with his arm or his feet, but then make some horrific plays. The one that springs to mind is last year against the Patriots when he overthrew his target by about 10 feet and the ball sailed into Merriweathers arms

jsagan77
09-02-2010, 04:34 AM
I think he will have a better statistical year than McNabb as well. Having a good OLine and the good weapons that the Eagles have and Andy Reid will get him there. McNabb/Shanahan combo I think will give the Redskins 7-9 wins in the hardest division in the league, but their receivers are gonna be a sore spot.

Better OL = Skins
Better RB = Skins
Better QB = Skins
Better WR = Eagles (Though Santana Moss is highly underrated)

Don't forget McNabb is going into the season behind the same offense that Matt Shaub led the league in passing in.

I love how everyone is sleeping on the Skins.. They're totally going to own this year...

Splat
09-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I think he will have a better statistical year than McNabb as well. Having a good OLine and the good weapons that the Eagles have and Andy Reid will get him there.

I know it's just preseason but the Chiefs sacked Kolb five times, they better hope that was just a fluke they are going to to be playing alot better D's in their Div.

Kolb has really looked average at best in the preseason and yes again it's just preseason but I think I would be a little worried if I was a Eagles fan.

J-Mike88
09-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Better OL = Skins
Better RB = Skins
Better QB = Skins
Better WR = Eagles (Though Santana Moss is highly underrated)

What year is it?

xxxxxxxx
09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
lol ill take lesean mccoy in a coma over the redskins RB's

09-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Skins better OL, since when?

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Skins better OL, since when?

If Washington's tackles play up to their potential, I think they've got a better line. Philly's line is incredibly soft and they can't runblock to save their life.

The Eagles are really going to struggle this year. Their offense is highly reliant on big plays (they led the league by a large margin in quick scores last year - drives of four plays or less), but big plays like that are hard to manufacture on a consistent basis. It's an extremely volatile statistic from year to year. Factor in a quarterback in his first year starting and an offensive line that can't runblock, and I think you're going to see a lot of stalled drives, especially in the redzone.

Their defense is good, but not good enough to carry the team to 10 or so wins.

McNabb will be running Shannahan's zoneboot and people will be wondering, "Why the hell didn't we realize sooner what a good schematic fit these two are for each other?"

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Skins oline isn't as bad as ppl think.

Jason Campbell really was just that bad. His pocket presence is horrible. Thats why I find it funny that people think he's going to all of a sudden be such a better qb in Oakland.

Really? I mean, seriously, take a step back, and think about it.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 11:54 AM
The Redskins would not have taken Trent Williams at #4, traded for Jammal Brown, if their O-Line wasn't exactly as bad as people thought. If those two work out, then yes the Redskins O-Line will be very solid.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Skins oline isn't as bad as ppl think.

Jason Campbell really was just that bad. His pocket presence is horrible. Thats why I find it funny that people think he's going to all of a sudden be such a better qb in Oakland.

Really? I mean, seriously, take a step back, and think about it.

The Redskins would not have taken Trent Williams at #4, traded for Jammal Brown, if their O-Line wasn't exactly as bad as people thought. If those two work out, then yes the Redskins O-Line will be very solid.

Think and thought are entirely different. Their offensive line was terrible last year. Adding to potential bookends within a month of each other vastly improves it, and I think Shanny can manufacture decent (not good, but not terrible) play from the interior guys.

The problem with the Redskins comes down to depth, depth, depth. A key injury here or there, and they're absolutely screwed.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm not saying it was great, but Jason Campbell had a Drew Bledsoe like effect on that oline. Ask any skins fan. He just stood there like a statue.

The skins are going to be a 7-9, 8-8 team this year. Maybe more if they stay healthier than the rest of the East.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Think and thought are entirely different. Their offensive line was terrible last year. Adding to potential bookends within a month of each other vastly improves it, and I think Shanny can manufacture decent (not good, but not terrible) play from the interior guys.

The problem with the Redskins comes down to depth, depth, depth. A key injury here or there, and they're absolutely screwed.

The context of what he said indicate otherwise. He said the O-Line isn't as bad as people think, sure, but then proceeded to blame Jason Campbell's pocket presence. Which is ridiculous considering who they were putting out there on the front line. Now the Redskins O-Line is pretty good, but last year it was atrocious.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm tellin ya, it wasn't as bad as people think. Oline performance is sometimes judged unfairly bc the qb makes them look worse than they really are. Again, I'm not saying that oline was good last year, but it wasn't as horrible as Jason Campbell made it look either.

And this year its improved bc of the additions. But last year, the tackles weren't even given a chance. Just look at how teams rushed Jason Campbell. Bc they had no faith in him stepping up into the pocket, teams just went all out speed rush and met him at the spot. No matter how good your tackles are, if they can't push the Ends around the qb, they have no chance.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
If that was the case they wouldn't have put all their resources into upgrading that line in the off-season. They got a better QB, sure, but McNabb would play maybe 8 games behind last year's line considering how brittle he is.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:07 PM
They needed new talent bc guys were playing out of position last year, or were old as dirt.

If you go back and look at how Levi Jones played last year, he was actually pretty solid. But he's old as dirt, so they needed a replacement.

Same reason why they needed a RT, injuries and depth were a concern.

He got Brown for peanuts. Its not like he invested a lot in getting his RT. And getting his LT made sense at pick 4 bc he got his qb in McNabb.

If he really wanted to overhaul the oline like ppl think, he wouldve dedicated every pick to the line.

PoopSandwich
09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Freeman could be a good QB, but it's going to difficult to tell. He's throwing to a pimp, 2 rookies, and a 2nd year receiver and the Bucs just don't run the ball very well. Someone needs to step up.

fixed for errors

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Freeman sucks. I have no idea why that bandwagon is growing.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Freeman sucks. I have no idea why that bandwagon is growing.

Why does he suck? I think his rookie season showed alot more promise then alot of these LEGIT bust recently ie Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinart to bring up a few. His game vs the Packers, specifically the 4th quarter and how he brought them back and made some pin point accurate throws come to mind.

He had literally no WR's at all last year, and a choppy offensive line, and he was a raw rookie QB out there winging it. I don't think he takes as big of a jump this year as someone like Chad Henne will, but he's going to be a very solid QB and alot better this season.

He didn't show me anything that he just outright sucks, he showed me alot of potential personally.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Why does he suck? I think his rookie season showed alot more promise then alot of these LEGIT bust recently ie Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinart to bring up a few. His game vs the Packers, specifically the 4th quarter and how he brought them back and made some pin point accurate throws come to mind.

He had literally no WR's at all last year, and a choppy offensive line, and he was a raw rookie QB out there winging it. I don't think he takes as big of a jump this year as someone like Chad Henne will, but he's going to be a very solid QB and alot better this season.

He didn't show me anything that he just outright sucks, he showed me alot of potential personally.

To be fair, I only saw 2 games of his, but nothing in those 2 games made me believe he'd be a good qb.

Perhaps I'm being a little too harsh on him, but I also wasn't a fan of his coming out, so maybe that's why I'm being a little unfair in my evaluation of him.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
To be fair, I only saw 2 games of his, but nothing in those 2 games made me believe he'd be a good qb.

Perhaps I'm being a little too harsh on him, but I also wasn't a fan of his coming out, so maybe that's why I'm being a little unfair in my evaluation of him.

Did you catch the GB game? I don't think I saw more then a few games myself, but that being 1 of them put a pretty good lasting affect on me. All I'm really looking for out of a rookie QB on a crappy team is to show some flashes of being a gamer. Whether it be a few elite throws, one GW drive where he drives the team down vs a good field, stands in the pocket and delivers some throws while taking hits and jumps right back up, etc.

I saw alot of that in that game, I think if Mike Williams develops into a #1 WR(which I think he will be, a very good one at that), and they protect him he should make a pretty nice jump. I want to see him with a legit WR before making too firm of a judgement 1 way or another.

CC.SD
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
It is completely impossible to close the book on Freeman. BTW if you're a Benn believer like me, his weapons this year really aren't going to be that bad.

I mean, bad. But not abysmal.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Did you catch the GB game? I don't think I saw more then a few games myself, but that being 1 of them put a pretty good lasting affect on me. All I'm really looking for out of a rookie QB on a crappy team is to show some flashes of being a gamer. Whether it be a few elite throws, one GW drive where he drives the team down vs a good field, stands in the pocket and delivers some throws while taking hits and jumps right back up, etc.

I saw alot of that in that game, I think if Mike Williams develops into a #1 WR(which I think he will be, a very good one at that), and they protect him he should make a pretty nice jump. I want to see him with a legit WR before making too firm of a judgement 1 way or another.

Na, I never got a chance to watch that Green Bay game. I guess I'll keep an eye on him this year, I'll need to see a good 3 to 4 games of his this year to give him a fair evaluation.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM

I completely agree with this. Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Flacco have created unrealistic expectations for rookie quarterbacks in recent years. We've gotta temper the expectations back down.

Like you said, you're looking for flashes of potential. You cannot expect them to be consistent from game to game, series to series, or even from play to play. Also, the biggest thing you're looking at is how he's carrying himself. How is he dealing with being the worst player on the field? Is he letting go of his mistakes and focusing on the next throw?

You're not really looking for him to LEAD (but that doesn't hurt), but you need to make sure he's still exhibiting confidence in himself. If you get that out of your rookie quarterback, plus some flashes and key drives/moments mixed in there, you've quite possibly got yourself a keeper. The key is the development that occurs in years two and three.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I completely agree with this. Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Flacco have created unrealistic expectations for rookie quarterbacks in recent years. We've gotta temper the expectations back down.

Like you said, you're looking for flashes of potential. You cannot expect them to be consistent from game to game, series to series, or even from play to play. Also, the biggest thing you're looking at is how he's carrying himself. How is he dealing with being the worst player on the field? Is he letting go of his mistakes and focusing on the next throw?

You're not really looking for him to LEAD (but that doesn't hurt), but you need to make sure he's still exhibiting confidence in himself. If you get that out of your rookie quarterback, plus some flashes and key drives/moments mixed in there, you've quite possibly got yourself a keeper. The key is the development that occurs in years two and three.

To play devil's advocate here for a second, everything you just said...

...why aren't we applying that to Mark Sanchez? Bc he's shown a ton more flashes than Freeman has. I watched every Jets game last year. Sanchez flashed a ton early in the season. Once he got Edwards he fell into bad habits of staring him down, and then the cold weather kicked his ass, but then he played well again in the playoffs.

I think getting Edwards actually hurt his development last year. He did a tremendous job spreading the ball prior to Edwards going there.

But Sanchez flashed a lot, yet he's everyone's hot pick to be a bust out of all the young qbs in the league.

SenorGato
09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Anyone else think the Browns will look good this year? There's no chance they'll win the division, but I think they'll be one of the better spoiler teams in the league again...maybe even post a .500 record.

PoopSandwich
09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Anyone else think the Browns will look good this year? There's no chance they'll win the division, but I think they'll be one of the better spoiler teams in the league again...maybe even post a .500 record.

I think 6 or 7 wins but alot is going to depend on what delhomme shows up this year.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I think you'll see a vastly improved team, even if it's not reflected in their record.

The Rajun Cajun will do better than people think. He'll have some stinker games, sure, but he gives them far, far more stability than Quinn or Anderson did.

P-L
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Mike Williams will make Freeman look better than he really is.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 01:00 PM
To play devil's advocate here for a second, everything you just said...

...why aren't we applying that to Mark Sanchez? Bc he's shown a ton more flashes than Freeman has. I watched every Jets game last year. Sanchez flashed a ton early in the season. Once he got Edwards he fell into bad habits of staring him down, and then the cold weather kicked his ass, but then he played well again in the playoffs.

I think getting Edwards actually hurt his development last year. He did a tremendous job spreading the ball prior to Edwards going there.

But Sanchez flashed a lot, yet he's everyone's hot pick to be a bust out of all the young qbs in the league.

Well I can't speak for everyone but me personally I do apply that to Sanchez and I don't think he'll be a bust, he showed me plenty of flashes of being a good QB down the line as a rookie, and that's ignoring the stats and just going off of what I saw.

Then again, while Freeman hasn't really played as extensive as Sanchez this pre-season he looks like he may have progressed more from 1 year to the next then Sanchez has but that remains to be seen. I'm not in the crowd ready to call Sanchez a bust or that he'll hold them back.

I saw him place some perfectly thrown, beautiful balls to Braylon deep down field only to be dropped, and getting Holmes who has sporadic hands won't really help all that much. Freeman always had more potential though if you asked most people during draft time even though Sanchez had a higher floor and alot of potential himself, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Freeman ended up the better QB and Sanchez just ended up being very solid, somewhere along the lines of Kyle Orton. I think he can be better then that and he's shown me he can be in spurts as a rookie, but if he did end up no better I wouldn't be shocked.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Well I can't speak for everyone but me personally I do apply that to Sanchez and I don't think he'll be a bust, he showed me plenty of flashes of being a good QB down the line as a rookie, and that's ignoring the stats and just going off of what I saw.

Then again, while Freeman hasn't really played as extensive as Sanchez this pre-season he looks like he may have progressed more from 1 year to the next then Sanchez has but that remains to be seen. I'm not in the crowd ready to call Sanchez a bust or that he'll hold them back.

I saw him place some perfectly thrown, beautiful balls to Braylon deep down field only to be dropped, and getting Holmes who has sporadic hands won't really help all that much. Freeman always had more potential though if you asked most people during draft time even though Sanchez had a higher floor and alot of potential himself, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Freeman ended up the better QB and Sanchez just ended up being very solid, somewhere along the lines of Kyle Orton. I think he can be better then that and he's shown me he can be in spurts as a rookie, but if he did end up no better I wouldn't be shocked.

Sanchez has great footwork, accuracy, mobility, and pocket presence. Those were the things that really caught my eye when he was coming out. The thing people forget about Sanchez is, he's so much rawer than Freeman and Stafford coming out. He's a guy who needed a year, maybe even 2 years on the bench before being ready to start, just bc he played so few games in college.

He was thrown in the fire way too prematurely, and while he looked horrible sometimes, he's also looked brilliant sometimes. I think considering how raw he was coming into the NFL, he's actually shown quite a bit his rookie year.

iBoldin
09-02-2010, 02:28 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/09000d5d81408d0d

There's a fair bit of the Green Bay game, BBD. Shows his touchdowns, his interception and a couple of nice throws.

I think Freeman has solid potential. Tampa's line is fairly underrated and I think that helps. Mike Williams and Benn can only help, as well. They've surrounded him with a good core, so that's good.

He's got great athletic ability, isn't afraid to be in the pocket and is able to extend plays. I don't think he'll ever be a top-ten quarterback, but I think you can go deep into the playoffs with him, once he matures a bit.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/09000d5d81408d0d

There's a fair bit of the Green Bay game, BBD. Shows his touchdowns, his interception and a couple of nice throws.

I think Freeman has solid potential. Tampa's line is fairly underrated and I think that helps. Mike Williams and Benn can only help, as well. They've surrounded him with a good core, so that's good.

He's got great athletic ability, isn't afraid to be in the pocket and is able to extend plays. I don't think he'll ever be a top-ten quarterback, but I think you can go deep into the playoffs with him, once he matures a bit.

Exactly. I think he's a poor man's Flacco.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Just added playoff predictions:
NFC Playoffs
Round 1:
(3)San Francisco
(6)Carolina

(4)New York
(5)Atlanta

Round 2:
(1)Green Bay
(4)New York

(2)New Orleans
(3)San Francisco

NFC Championship
(2)New Orleans
(4)New York

AFC Playoffs
Week 1:
(3)New England
(6)Cincinnati

(4)Tennessee
(5)Miami

Week 2:
(1)San Diego
(4)Tennessee

(2)Baltimore
(3)New England

AFC Championship:
(1)San Diego
(3)New England

Superbowl:

New York
vs
San Diego

LonghornsLegend
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Carolina and San Fran in the playoffs over Dallas? That would make me sad :(

thenewfeature06
09-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Carolina is no where near good enough to have a questionable QB lead a team with a nasty run game, steve smith and an average defense.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I still can't believe Carolina just let Peppers walk. They could have easily gotten a first rounder for him if they had of just swallowed their pride and tried to move him instead of wasting time on fruitless contract negotiations.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Carolina and San Fran in the playoffs over Dallas? That would make me sad :(

Cupcake schedules vs difficult schedule. Sorry dude :( I think the East is only sending one team this year.

SF plays in the NFCW and that division plays the NFCW. I've got a good feeling about Carolina, too.

Dallas has a ton of talent, but they're still a team with an offensive identity. Garret's a creative play designer, but a terrible coordinator, and I don't think he'll run the ball enough to protect the o-line and Romo.

The entire NFC is a muddled mess, though. No one team is greatly more talented than the other. They've all got holes.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Cupcake schedules vs difficult schedule. Sorry dude :( I think the East is only sending one team this year.

SF plays in the NFCW and that division plays the NFCW. I've got a good feeling about Carolina, too.

Dallas has a ton of talent, but they're still a team with an offensive identity. Garret's a creative play designer, but a terrible coordinator, and I don't think he'll run the ball enough to protect the o-line and Romo.

The entire NFC is a muddled mess, though.

You know, I was thinking that too. I think this is the year that the NFC East only puts 1 team in the playoffs.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I still can't believe Carolina just let Peppers walk. They could have easily gotten a first rounder for him if they had of just swallowed their pride and tried to move him instead of wasting time on fruitless contract negotiations.

DPOTY right there.

RufusMcDaniel
09-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Just added playoff predictions:

Why can't we ever beat San Diego!

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Why can't we ever beat San Diego!

It's not just you. Indy can't beat them either. Those two teams are the only reason people don't say that the Chargers from Norv to Rivers to Kaeding aren't complete chokejobs.

HOWEVER, San Diego has so much Ewing Theory potential with LT gone that it's not even fair. They're a mortal lock to make it to at least the AFC Championship because of that. They NEED homefield advantage, and they've got the easiest schedule of all the AFC contenders.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 01:15 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/573439/gyi0061605973.jpg

I want everyone to recognize the greatness of this picture.

All hail Gene Smith.

Addict
09-13-2010, 05:35 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/573439/gyi0061605973.jpg

I want everyone to recognize the greatness of this picture.

All hail Gene Smith.

I have to say that is a good sight.

yourfavestoner
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Taking a look back now that we're about halfway through the season.

These three teams have largely been overshadowed or dismissed in favor of the other more ballyhooed teams in their division (although Miami seems to be becoming a trendier pick as we move closer to the season). I don’t necessarily think these teams will win all their division, it wouldn’t surprise me either. I think all three will at the very least be fighting for playoff spots down the stretch. They just all happen to be playing in very tough divisions.

The Donovan McNabb trade was lauded for the Redskins. He’s going to be huge for that team. He’s had big game struggles, but he’s still better than a lot of starting quarterbacks in this league. They’ve also added two apparent bookends at tackle, in a system catered to athletic linemen. Clinton Portis had his most productive years under Shannahan. While he was a completely different type of back at that time, Shannahan’s system can still be incredibly effective with a power back, which Portis has essentially become. Far less talented backs have killed it in that system, and Portis will transition back to it pretty seamlessly.

The talent on their defense is outstanding. For all the conundrum Albert Haynesworth receives, he can still be a force at DE or NT in the 3-4. Him going at 80% is better than most linemen at 120%. He’s that good. Regardless of the conditioning test fiasco, he appears to be in better shape than he was at any point in Tennesee.

They’ve got a damn good team, but injuries will be key since they have little to no depth at key positions. But my oh my will it be pretty watching McNabb run the zone boot.

Chicago is a team I see a lot of potential in, and it has more to do with their defense. Julius Peppers, relieved to no longer being the big fish in a small pond, is going to beast it this year. The problem with Chicago’s defense the past couple years has been a consistent pass rush and injuries to Urlacher and Harris (the two best and most important players on their defense). Again, injuries aside (because they’re impossible to predict) I think this unit climbs back to elite ranks.

I really question how Jay Cutler will fare in a deep drop system that usually relies on six or less blockers. The results could be ugly. However, I still have a ton of faith in Cutler, and Martz’s system will give him plenty of opportunity to let it rip. I like their receiving corp more than most. It’s got a ton of upside, and Knox and Hester were born to play in that type of offense.

Miami is a team I’ve been touting all offseason. I love Chad Henne, and I think he ends up being the difference in the quest to topple the Pats in the East. I expect him to have a much better year than Sanchez. He’s got a nasty o-line, a nasty running game, and Marshall is really going to open their offense up. It’s Henne’s time.

The Dolphins are one of those teams that had to take a step back before taking two forward. Their tranformation from a 1-15 team to a division winner was incredibly impressive, but they rode a weak schedule. It’s a similar situation to the one the Chargers faced in the early 2000s. They won their division in a down year, missed the playoffs the next year due to losing a series of close games (hence: learning how to win/close consistently) and have largely been a dominant force since (BTW, this whole thing I’ve said about the Dolphins can be said for the Falcons, too).

Didn't quite hit on this one. Miami was a very trendy team to pick going into the season, but Henne's development is stalling a little bit. He needs another year and a receiver who can stretch the field before they can compete with the AFC's elite. Their schedule has been absolutely brutal, though.

Chicago and Washington are what I thought they'd be. Everyone wrote them off as afterthoughts coming into this season, but I saw two teams that would be very, very competitive throughout the entire season. Both teams have probably topped out, but they'll be incredibly frisky for anyone who plays them.

Homer Corner
I’m totally stealing this idea from BlindSite. I need to talk about Jacksonville a little since they're a team that’s not discussed on topics outside of Tebow (still), Alualu, and blackouts.

GM Gene Smith gutted the roster that year and turned around and had the most productive draft class in the league. They started the year off fairly well, but the team was horribly inconsistent and the team hit a wall late in the season and production from the defensive line completely bottomed out.

The d-line received a ton of attention in the offseason. The Jags could have traded down for Alualu, I know. He doesn't quite have McCoy's talent, but their measurables are almost identical, and he was very productive and disruptive in college. Had the dude been playing in a 4-3 defense that showcased him, he wouldn’t have been nearly as under the radar as he was.

Also, Mighty Might Mike Thomas is the second coming of Steve Smith (CAR). Book it.

I think they’ll be much improved talent wise this year, but consistency has been the mark of teams in the Del Rio area. They could go anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 depending on the kind of breaks they get and if they stay healthy. Hit the nail on the head. They're a .500 team that's show marked improvement over last year's squad, but still have gaping holes on the roster, most notably in the secondary.

And Mighty Might Mike Thomas is a stud.

- I have no idea what the **** is going to happen in the AFC West. Any team can win that division right now. It’s completely up for grabsI still have no idea what will happen in this division. But it'll be a lot of fun to watch!

- The Ravens will rank higher in offense than in defense this year15th on offense, 9th on defense. I think both units finish the year in the top 10, but I was wrong on this one.
- Other than at offensive line, this is probably the best and deepest team the Colts have ever fielded. I’ll extremely interested to see how this year turns out for themDunno what to make of this. The offensive line is still a major black mark on this team, but they've remained competitive and have had tons of guys fill in and step up.
- Brandon Spikes will win DROTY. I talked enough about it in a thread in the draft section, but he’s pretty much got the spot next to Mayo on lockdown, and Belichick loves him. BB found his new Mike Vrabel. Spikes has been impressive in his role, but DROTY goes to Suh, and it's not even close.
- Jahvid Best will win OROTY. That offense is going to be downright explosive if Stafford has progressed as much as everyone says he hasLike Spikes, Best has flashed moments of brilliance. But again, OROTY goes to Bradford, and it's again not even close. Stafford's injury concerns are very, very, very troubling though.
- Speaking of last year’s rookie QBs, Josh Freeman’s bandwagon is really gonna start growing after this yearI don't even need to say anything. This is, by far, my favorite prediction going into the season.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got right now. I’ve had a ton of different thoughts bounce through my head throughout the offseason, and I’ll write them in here as they come to me.

Feedback is always appreciated, and discussion is always, always encouraged (that’s why we’re all here isn’t it?)Crazy, crazy, crazy year in the NFL, and I'm loving every single week.

killxswitch
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Your predictions were not bad at all. Unfortunately for me the Colts have buzzed through their depth and are running on fumes.

yourfavestoner
11-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Your predictions were not bad at all. Unfortunately for me the Colts have buzzed through their depth and are running on fumes.

Truth be told, that team could have been scary good this year had they not suffered so many injuries, especially when you consider how inconsistent everyone else in the league has been.

I still don't understand the Lilja decision either. Polian claims he wants to get more physical up front and then they decide to cut their only offensive lineman that doesn't get bullrushed three yards into the backfield on every play.

killxswitch
11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Truth be told, that team could have been scary good this year had they not suffered so many injuries, especially when you consider how inconsistent everyone else in the league has been.

I still don't understand the Lilja decision either. Polian claims he wants to get more physical up front and then they decide to cut their only offensive lineman that doesn't get bullrushed three yards into the backfield on every play.

Well you see, Polian is a mid-functioning ****** when it comes to offensive linemen. He's made a lot of mistakes trying to build the OL. Here are a few that ended up taking up too much room.

He let Jake Scott go after winning a SB. He drafted Tony Ugoh. He cut Ryan Lilja. He drafted 3 centers who all look bad (1 cut, 1 benched, 1 [2nd round Mike Pollak] a medicore starting RG). He gave Jeff Saturday a big contract when his performance was trending down. And he's drafted guys like Donald Brown and Anthony Gonzales instead of linemen.

Not only does this mean the run games sucks, but it also means our pass plays can't develop and Manning gets hit more.

bigbluedefense
11-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Stafford's injuries are definitely troubling. I'd be very worried if I were a Lions fan. The dude is made out of paper.

yourfavestoner
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Time to take a look back.

These three teams have largely been overshadowed or dismissed in favor of the other more ballyhooed teams in their division (although Miami seems to be becoming a trendier pick as we move closer to the season). I donít necessarily think these teams will win all their division, it wouldnít surprise me either. I think all three will at the very least be fighting for playoff spots down the stretch. They just all happen to be playing in very tough divisions.

The Donovan McNabb trade was lauded for the Redskins. Heís going to be huge for that team. Heís had big game struggles, but heís still better than a lot of starting quarterbacks in this league. Theyíve also added two apparent bookends at tackle, in a system catered to athletic linemen. Clinton Portis had his most productive years under Shannahan. While he was a completely different type of back at that time, Shannahanís system can still be incredibly effective with a power back, which Portis has essentially become. Far less talented backs have killed it in that system, and Portis will transition back to it pretty seamlessly.

The talent on their defense is outstanding. For all the conundrum Albert Haynesworth receives, he can still be a force at DE or NT in the 3-4. Him going at 80% is better than most linemen at 120%. Heís that good. Regardless of the conditioning test fiasco, he appears to be in better shape than he was at any point in Tennesee.

Theyíve got a damn good team, but injuries will be key since they have little to no depth at key positions. But my oh my will it be pretty watching McNabb run the zone boot.

Chicago is a team I see a lot of potential in, and it has more to do with their defense. Julius Peppers, relieved to no longer being the big fish in a small pond, is going to beast it this year. The problem with Chicagoís defense the past couple years has been a consistent pass rush and injuries to Urlacher and Harris (the two best and most important players on their defense). Again, injuries aside (because theyíre impossible to predict) I think this unit climbs back to elite ranks.

I really question how Jay Cutler will fare in a deep drop system that usually relies on six or less blockers. The results could be ugly. However, I still have a ton of faith in Cutler, and Martzís system will give him plenty of opportunity to let it rip. I like their receiving corp more than most. Itís got a ton of upside, and Knox and Hester were born to play in that type of offense.

Miami is a team Iíve been touting all offseason. I love Chad Henne, and I think he ends up being the difference in the quest to topple the Pats in the East. I expect him to have a much better year than Sanchez. Heís got a nasty o-line, a nasty running game, and Marshall is really going to open their offense up. Itís Henneís time.

The Dolphins are one of those teams that had to take a step back before taking two forward. Their tranformation from a 1-15 team to a division winner was incredibly impressive, but they rode a weak schedule. Itís a similar situation to the one the Chargers faced in the early 2000s. They won their division in a down year, missed the playoffs the next year due to losing a series of close games (hence: learning how to win/close consistently) and have largely been a dominant force since (BTW, this whole thing Iíve said about the Dolphins can be said for the Falcons, too).

Nailed Chicago, but flopped hard with Miami and Washington. Both of those teams took humongous steps back this season. They enter next season with far more questions than answers.

Homer Corner
Iím totally stealing this idea from BlindSite. I need to talk about Jacksonville a little since they're a team thatís not discussed on topics outside of Tebow (still), Alualu, and blackouts.

The d-line received a ton of attention in the offseason. The Jags could have traded down for Alualu, I know. He doesn't quite have McCoy's talent, but their measurables are almost identical, and he was very productive and disruptive in college. Had the dude been playing in a 4-3 defense that showcased him, he wouldnít have been nearly as under the radar as he was.

I think theyíll be much improved talent wise this year, but consistency has been the mark of teams in the Del Rio area. They could go anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 depending on the kind of breaks they get and if they stay healthy.

Yay for Mike Thomas' progression. Get ready for the real breakout next year. :)

Besides that, the Jags were who I thought they were - an average team who caught some breaks early in the year and collapsed down the stretch when the pressure was on.

- I have no idea what the **** is going to happen in the AFC West. Any team can win that division right now. Itís completely up for grabs
The season is over, and I still have no idea what the **** happened in the AFC West.

- The Ravens will rank higher in offense than in defense this year
Didn't quite happen yet, but it will sooner than later. Especially if they don't get some youth infused on that defense this offseason.
- Other than at offensive line, this is probably the best and deepest team the Colts have ever fielded. Iíll extremely interested to see how this year turns out for them
I don't know what to make of this one, either. Yeah, they had a lot of injuries, but the guys behind them stepped up and did as well as they could on the fly. They still won the division and made the playoffs. FWIW, I don't think the Colts supporting cast around Manning wasn't (and never has been) quite as bad as the pundits would lead you to believe. They could use about 15 new offensive linemen on that roster, though.
- Brandon Spikes will win DPOTY. I talked enough about it in a thread in the draft section, but heís pretty much got the spot next to Mayo on lockdown, and Belichick loves him. BB found his new Mike Vrabel.
Spikes' rookie year was derailed by his suspension, but Suh would have won it going away anyways. Spikes looks to be more Ted Johnson than Mike Vrabel, but Belichick loves him. I continue to stand by my belief that he was a better college player, prospect, and NFL player than draftmate Rolando McClain.
- Jahvid Best will win OROTY. That offense is going to be downright explosive if Stafford has progressed as much as everyone says he has
Well, we saw inklings of an explosive offense. Problem is that Best and Stafford were hardly on the field this year.
- Speaking of last yearís rookie QBs, Josh Freemanís bandwagon is really gonna start growing after this year

Josh Freeman is a ******* boss, and that's all that needs to be said.

Some pretty crappy predictions by me, but most of the fun comes from seeing how stupid your own predictions are. Calling Chicago and starting the Freeman hype train make me a happy panda.

bigbluedefense
02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Good stuff as always. It's really hard nailing all of them, but you nailed a lot of them.

One of these days I'm gonna get the itch again to make these threads again.

GB12
02-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't know man, hard to give you credit on Chicago. I mean you were 1 for 3, not real impressive. Almost everyone could have gotten at least one right if they had picked three teams like you did.