PDA

View Full Version : Should Desean Jackson have held out?

mellojello
08-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Critics will say that he's got a contract, so he should honor it, but he's literally putting his career at risk by going on that field and not getting paid the kind of money comparable athletes receive. He's been playing it real cool with the media, but you know it's tearing him up inside. I think he is doing his best to be a team player and not be a distraction, but do you think he should he have held out like Chris Johnson?

wicket
08-14-2010, 02:34 AM
next offseason id have no problem with it, this offseason was a bit early iyam

HEISMANHERSCHEL
08-14-2010, 03:16 AM
I agree. He is awesome. But do it again this year and then ask for the world.

superman8456
08-14-2010, 04:13 AM
7/20/2008: Signed a four-year, $3.058 million contract. The deal included a $1.353 million signing bonus and a $391,000 roster bonus in the second year. 2010: $470,000 (+ $335,000 roster bonus), 2011: $555,000, 2012: Free Agent

I say we need to pay the man soon and I would rather we lock him up with a long time deal now rather than later. I'm fine with just reworking his contract so his base salary is more around a million.

DeSean is finally getting good endorsements, so money aint a thang.

nrk
08-14-2010, 04:22 AM
I agree. He is awesome. But do it again this year and then ask for the world.

I agree with this. Let's see how he does without McNabb's arm before hes paid. This will be, what, his third year in a four year contract?

Also, how much is he getting paid?

Brent
08-14-2010, 08:42 AM
2010: $470,000 (+ $335,000 roster bonus)

$805k in salary, plus whatever he gets in play-based-earnings isn't exactly chump change for his role in that offense.

AHungryWalrus
08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I never support hold outs, except possibly rookies. They are the only ones who aren't complaining about a pre-arranged pay structure. Everyone else knew what they were getting into. Sign a shorter contract if you are so sure you are going to be amazing.

The NFL is filled with Diva's now. If you deserve a new contract, then most of the time the front office is WILLING to negotiate a raise (within reason) while you are in your current one (See: Andre Johnson, D-Brick, even Revis). People simply NOT showing up for work is flat out stupid.

P-L
08-14-2010, 11:02 AM
I do not support holdouts after only one great year, in any circumstance. If Jackson can put up 1200 and 9 again, then he deserves a raise. I feel the same way with Revis. If you think you deserve the big money prove to me that it wasn't just a one-season fluke.

Splat
08-14-2010, 11:29 AM
If he does it again with corn on the Kolb at QB they will/should pay the man.

ShutDwn
08-14-2010, 12:15 PM
After a year like that Desean should try and get all that he can because I doubt he back to back years like that with a new QB.

I never support hold outs, except possibly rookies.

Why do you support the hold outs of players who haven't done anything but not the ones of players who have outplayed their contract?

The NFL is filled with Diva's now. If you deserve a new contract, then most of the time the front office is WILLING to negotiate a raise (within reason) while you are in your current one (See: Andre Johnson, D-Brick, even Revis). People simply NOT showing up for work is flat out stupid.

How are they divas for wanting to be paid fairly? People in all kinds of jobs have to throw around their weight once in a while to be respected.

My father is a professor and a few years ago he had to go out and start getting attention from other schools in order to get their attention because management doesn't always respect how serious you are. He has won teaching awards, he was the coordinator of their best program, he was a team player but they were just handing out more money to people who hadn't done anything comparatively.

He still showed up for work, but when showing for work (training camp) could mean a severe injury, well then you don't do it. We would call these players idiots for going to camp and getting injured while trying to get more money.

The NFL isn't a normal job and its completely logical for them to try and get as much money as they can while they have the opportunity because they can be dumped at any time.

AHungryWalrus
08-15-2010, 03:36 AM
My father is a professor and a few years ago he had to go out and start getting attention from other schools in order to get their attention because management doesn't always respect how serious you are. He has won teaching awards, he was the coordinator of their best program, he was a team player but they were just handing out more money to people who hadn't done anything comparatively.

He still showed up for work, but when showing for work (training camp) could mean a severe injury, well then you don't do it. We would call these players idiots for going to camp and getting injured while trying to get more money.

The NFL isn't a normal job and its completely logical for them to try and get as much money as they can while they have the opportunity because they can be dumped at any time.

Hahahaha, I like your comparison.

"My dad had to throw his weight around. I mean, he still showed up for work, so this is completely irrelevant."

I never said anything about not asking for a raise. Or being unhappy with your current compensation. Maybe you deserve more. But a huge difference between Desean and your Dad, is that Desean *AGREED* to play for his current salary for a specified amount of time.

If your Dad had simply stopped showing up for work, he would have been canned. AKA real world.

As for this whole ridiculous "dumped at any time" argument, no good player is getting dumped for no reason. Every smart NFL player is insured against injury, and all guaranteed money is guaranteed. If you're so worried about injuries, then add a stipulation in your contract that relates to injuries (as many players do).

You seem to be woefully uninformed of the state of NFL contracts. Players aren't just being tossed around with no protection. There are checks and balances both ways. Go to work like a man.

Ness
08-15-2010, 04:14 AM
I never support hold outs, except possibly rookies. They are the only ones who aren't complaining about a pre-arranged pay structure. Everyone else knew what they were getting into. Sign a shorter contract if you are so sure you are going to be amazing.

You shouldn't assume the front office is always going to play fair ball though. Some owners like the Bidwells (Bill Bidwell for the most part) have been notorious for being cheap to their players and always willing to let them walk instead of paying them competitive salaries (Larry Centers is a good example).

And it would be pretty dumb to show up to training camp when you're trying to get a new deal. Because if you get hurt, your chances evaporate. You can't blame players for believing they deserve their market value. Keep in mind that every situation is different and sometimes the player can be ridiculous with their demands. However, some holdouts are justified and I can understand. I'd probably do the same thing if I felt in my heart that I wasn't being paid a competitive salary.

AHungryWalrus
08-15-2010, 07:18 AM
You shouldn't assume the front office is always going to play fair ball though. Some owners like the Bidwells (Bill Bidwell for the most part) have been notorious for being cheap to their players and always willing to let them walk instead of paying them competitive salaries (Larry Centers is a good example).

Then sign a shorter contract. My argument is simply, they put themselves in these positions. If you're sure as a rookie you're going to break out, then sign a one year deal. Or a heavily laden incentive contract. You don't NEED to sign these long deals. But players like the financial security that does come from it.

However, 2 years down the road, when they have spent all their signing bonus, they are unhappy. There's no reason for holdouts, other than just admitting you signed a stupid contract. Which most intelligent people don't do.

So, I guess a holdout like Vjax's I can support, because he fulfilled his contract, and is having another "forced" upon him.

Brent
08-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Then sign a shorter contract. My argument is simply, they put themselves in these positions. If you're sure as a rookie you're going to break out, then sign a one year deal. Or a heavily laden incentive contract. You don't NEED to sign these long deals. But players like the financial security that does come from it.

However, 2 years down the road, when they have spent all their signing bonus, they are unhappy. There's no reason for holdouts, other than just admitting you signed a stupid contract. Which most intelligent people don't do.

So, I guess a holdout like Vjax's I can support, because he fulfilled his contract, and is having another "forced" upon him.
The team holds all the power, what team is going to offer a player a draft pick a one year contract? They'll tell that player to **** off and he can sign a 4 or 5 year one or sit out football for a year and re-enter the draft. The length of the deal for a pick is always going to be at least 3 years. They don't want that guy to break out and then skip town.

AHungryWalrus
08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
The team holds all the power, what team is going to offer a player a draft pick a one year contract? They'll tell that player to **** off and he can sign a 4 or 5 year one or sit out football for a year and re-enter the draft. The length of the deal for a pick is always going to be at least 3 years. They don't want that guy to break out and then skip town.

I definitely over simplified. But teams still are just as at risk (if not more) than players when it comes to long contracts. Look at the bust rate of first rounders (Jamarcus Russell?). If a rookie asked for a three year deal, and (let's say it was a WR) asked for escalators if they hit say 1000 yards or 10 TD's, the front office is going to be more than willing to do it. I would say that current NFL contracts say that the owners in the league are willing to pay for production.

And owners power is so overrated. What if they pay a player and the player stops playing? They can't "hold the player out" for a worse deal. They can only cut someone, which still means they paid a large amount of guaranteed money for nothing.

The thing is, Rookies want that big signing bonus, as opposed to money throughout the contract. Once they have played a bit, and spent the bonus, they want more.

Tough.

yourfavestoner
08-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Not only that, but if you sign a one-year deal you're going to be an RFA anyways. Under the old CBA, you couldn't become a UFA until your fourth year. Now, it's six.

AHungryWalrus
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Not only that, but if you sign a one-year deal you're going to be an RFA anyways. Under the old CBA, you couldn't become a UFA until your fourth year. Now, it's six.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said one year deal. I was just trying to simplify it too far.

Regardless, even as a RFA, if you're really that young and valuable, someone will pay you.