PDA

View Full Version : Chimdi Chekwa and Devon Torrence

Texas Homer
08-14-2010, 07:58 PM
What are these 2 Buckeye CB's draft stock at this point?

I'm guessing that Chekwa's stock is a lot higher, but that is just a guess.

Thanks.

Sniper
08-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Torrence isn't very good. He's a by-product of an amazing defense around him.

Chekwa could eventually become a dominant man-to-man corner. He just needs to learn to play the ball more. If he plays in the pros like he plays now, he'd get flagged four times per game for pass interference.

wonderbredd24
08-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I have never been a fan of Chekwa. Personally, I think Donald Washington was more talented.

I think all of the Buckeyes corners are products of the rest of the defense.

Fortunately, they've got some extremely talented recruits coming down the pipe.

steelcrew43
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
chekwa has looked impressive through week two

IndyColtScout
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Chekwa is a stud

Torrence is a good athlete but hes prob gonna end up like Don Washington.

JoeJoeBrown
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Chekwa has potential to be a starter in the NFL, possibly as a nickel back. This is assuming that he continues to improve. He is definitely not there yet.

In the past, he has gotten beat far too often on his gambles, and as Sniper states, he tends to mug WRs without looking back at the ball.

Watching the UM game, he was beaten a few times, and barring terrible J Harris passes, he would have been burnt for at least one wide open TD.

He is definitely lucky to playing with a ridiculously stacked front 7.

And Torrence is a raw athlete that is still learning. Didn't even dedicate himself to football until a year or so ago after trying to also play minor league baseball.

Texas Homer
11-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Has Chekwa worked his way into the top 3 rounds?

Has Torrence played his way into being drafted?

I've been liking their play this season.

Thoughts?

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 12:42 AM
As a Buckeye fan, I personally can't wait for Chekwa to be off the team. He's slow, he struggles to look back for the ball, and he's terrible jamming at the line.

I can't tell you how many times the guy has been burned on a slant route. He's a big reason why we lost to Texas in the bowl game a couple years back, because Colt McCoy just went to his side, as opposed to Malcolm Jenkins.

About the only positive I can find in Chekwa's game is his ability against the run. He isn't afraid to lay his body out to in front of a couple blockers to slow down a runner or make a tackle, which is something I really like in corners. But he's not a guy you want covering your receivers in the NFL.

Maybe I'm blinded because of that game, but he hasn't done much this season either. He doesn't have the speed to stick with an NFL receiver in man, and his eyes get caught staring in the backfield too much.

Torrence isn't great either, but he's better than Chekwa. Both will be drafted higher than they should be because Ohio State cornerbacks are often coveted in the NFL.

Both are helped out quite a bit because of Ohio State's ability to put pressure on quarterbacks. Not to mention, there aren't many good receivers, or quarterbacks in the Big Ten that can really expose Ohio State's secondary.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm just excited to go into next season without Chekwa.

Woody56
11-15-2010, 06:52 AM
I was at the OSU - PSU game on Saturday, Torrence is horrible.

keylime_5
11-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Chekwa has been good this year. He is one of the fastest players on the team and never gets burnt deep. His only problem is his ball skills and turning his head sometimes, but he's gotten better at that. Teams don't throw to his side that much this season. Torrence played badly against PSU but redeemed himself with a great pick six. A lot of what Penn State was able to do against Torrence and the other DBs in the passing game on Saturday was due to playing man coverage and giving up a big cushion of like 5 yards. In the 2nd half they switched to a zone and played the corners bump and run on the line of scrimmage and it worked. I think he might be destined for safety in the NFL like Malcolm Jenkins, but he's still a big project either way.

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I was at the OSU - PSU game on Saturday, Torrence is horrible.

Lol, he had a pick 6 and didn't give up hardly any yardage, but he is "horrible"?

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Chekwa has been good this year. He is one of the fastest players on the team and never gets burnt deep. His only problem is his ball skills and turning his head sometimes, but he's gotten better at that. Teams don't throw to his side that much this season. Torrence played badly against PSU but redeemed himself with a great pick six. A lot of what Penn State was able to do against Torrence and the other DBs in the passing game on Saturday was due to playing man coverage and giving up a big cushion of like 5 yards. In the 2nd half they switched to a zone and played the corners bump and run on the line of scrimmage and it worked. I think he might be destined for safety in the NFL like Malcolm Jenkins, but he's still a big project either way.

Where are you guys getting this Torrence played horribly? Let's not forget that it was Chekwa who got burnt inside on a slant route for the 2nd touchdown. He gave up a touchdown to Derrick Moye... Really? But you guys want him to cover NFL receivers.

The first touchdown was a mismatch with a WR being covered by a LB, and Jermale Hines couldn't help out over the top in time.

Chekwa played like crap. Torrence played fine, and even had a pick 6.

I'd re-watch that game. I don't know why some of you guys are all over Chekwa's balls, but it's clear that you don't see enough Buckeye games.

JoeJoeBrown
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Chekwa is mediocre. Torrence is mediocre.

5th round should be where Chekwa goes. More likely he will be overdrafted in the late 2nd-3rd round due to hype. He is an ok athlete, but is out of position more often than someone who has to rely on his brains vs his wheels needs to be.

Torrence is a 7th rounder UDFA. He's athletic, but is not a cover corner. He does not have the skill set. He would be a decent nickle back if he could figure out how to not maul wideouts.

I mean, I compare these two to a safety like Kurt Coleman who was a 7th rounder and it baffles me. I know safeties are undervalued, but dear lord the man was a baller and still is (gets his first start tonight). These two guys are stiffs compared to him.

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Chekwa is mediocre. Torrence is mediocre.

5th round should be where Chekwa goes. More likely he will be overdrafted in the late 2nd-3rd round due to hype. He is an ok athlete, but is out of position more often than someone who has to rely on his brains vs his wheels needs to be.

Torrence is a 7th rounder UDFA. He's athletic, but is not a cover corner. He does not have the skill set. He would be a decent nickle back if he could figure out how to not maul defenders.

I mean, I compare these two to a safety like Kurt Coleman who was a 7th rounder and it baffles me. I know safeties are undervalued, but dear lord the man was a baller and still is (gets his first start tonight). These two guys are stiffs compared to him.

Finally, somebody who appears to have watched a few Buckeye games in his day.

Sniper
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Lol, he had a pick 6 and didn't give up hardly any yardage, but he is "horrible"?

Pick six =/= good corner.

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Pick six =/= good corner.

I'm not saying a pick six makes him a good corner. But he didn't play terribly in the PSU game as a few people are saying.

He's slightly behind Chekwa overall, but that's not saying much. Both should be guys drafted in the 6th-7th rounds, if at all. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

They can barely cover some of the mediocre receivers in the Big Ten conference, let alone a speedy slot receiver, or big guy like A.J. Green.

Sniper
11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure how Ohio State's defense hasn't been annihilated through the air this year. Their corners are average to below-average and they're breaking in a new FS and they still have a top defense. **** that noise.

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure how Ohio State's defense hasn't been annihilated through the air this year. Their corners are average to below-average and they're breaking in a new FS and they still have a top defense. **** that noise.

Like I said, that's what happens in a conference with very few good receivers.

Teams with those receivers don't usually get time to find them. Watch Nick Toon dominate Chekwa in the Wisconsin game.

Go back and watch the Texas/OSU Fiesta Bowl and see the countless receptions that Chekwa and Anderson Russell gave up.

Chekwa also struggled with Leonard Hankerson, quite a bit against Miami.

Sniper
11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Like I said, that's what happens in a conference with very few good receivers.

Teams with those receivers don't usually get time to find them. Watch Nick Toon dominate Chekwa in the Wisconsin game.

Go back and watch the Texas/OSU Fiesta Bowl and see the countless receptions that Chekwa and Anderson Russell gave up.

Chekwa also struggled with Leonard Hankerson, quite a bit against Miami.

Not that it matters since Ohio State will drop 981 points on Michigan's defense, but who would you expect to cover Roy "The Sex" Roundtree?

DaBrowns41
11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Not that it matters since Ohio State will drop 981 points on Michigan's defense, but who would you expect to cover Roy "The Sex" Roundtree?

They'll keep Chekwa on him most likely. Tress is traditional. He tends to put his #1 CB on the opponents #1 receiver, regardless of speed, size, talent, etc.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they put Chekwa on Stonum as he's the more physical receiver, and put the faster Torrence on the quicker Roundtree.

Michigan's receivers can make plays, and it worries me a bit. I just hope we can penetrate the OL and get to Denard.

JoeJoeBrown
11-15-2010, 01:22 PM
They'll keep Chekwa on him most likely. Tress is traditional. He tends to put his #1 CB on the opponents #1 receiver, regardless of speed, size, talent, etc.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they put Chekwa on Stonum as he's the more physical receiver, and put the faster Torrence on the quicker Roundtree.

Michigan's receivers can make plays, and it worries me a bit. I just hope we can penetrate the OL and get to Denard.

I agree with this.

Also, I expect to see a very boring gameplan by JT that is designed to burn clock to keep UM's offense off of the field.

K Train
11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
ive always liked chekwa, staying at school was a good choice for him

keylime_5
11-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Chekwa and Torrence are both seniors, and experience makes a big difference in college ball IMO. Chekwa has started every game since his sophomore year and was the nickelback his freshman year. They play zone and Chekwa/Torrence are good zone corners. When the front seven is so good the QB resorts to short drops and makes quick throws. Late last season torrence was playing out of his mind and for most of this season Chekwa has been great.

keylime_5
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Where are you guys getting this Torrence played horribly? Let's not forget that it was Chekwa who got burnt inside on a slant route for the 2nd touchdown. He gave up a touchdown to Derrick Moye... Really? But you guys want him to cover NFL receivers.

The first touchdown was a mismatch with a WR being covered by a LB, and Jermale Hines couldn't help out over the top in time.

Chekwa played like crap. Torrence played fine, and even had a pick 6.

I'd re-watch that game. I don't know why some of you guys are all over Chekwa's balls, but it's clear that you don't see enough Buckeye games.

On that second touchdown Chekwa was about 5 yards away from the receiver. When the defense adjusted schemes in the 2nd half and went to a zone instead of soft man coverage they tried throwing at Chekwa and failed miserably. In the first half Penn State picked on Torrence's weak man coverage and got completion after completion. I think it was mostly scheme, but Torrence even admittedly was playing poorly in the 1st half and stepped up in the 2nd half after the much talked about Tressel halftime speech and guys like Brian Rolle firing up the defense.