PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin collapses at practice, taken away in ambulance

Splat
08-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Percy Harvin collapses at practice, taken away in ambulance (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/19/percy-harvin-collapses-at-practice-taken-away-in-ambulance/)

One of the most eventful preseasons in Vikings history went from bizarre to scary on Thursday, when receiver Percy Harvin (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5197) vomited, collapsed, and eventually was taken to a hospital via ambulance (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/101089329.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKU7DYaG EP7vDEh7P:DiUs).

Bengals78
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Terrible news.
ESPN had Chilly on there saying it was migraine related. He wouldnt say if it was a seizure or what though.

Mr.Regular
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a migraine.

What an awful thing to suffer a lot from.

djp
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't think it's life threatening, just a very, very bad migraine. Could put his opener in jeopardy

Nalej
08-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Migraine and dehydration, is what it sounds like to me

Rosebud
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Migraine's are terrible, I've only had one but that one experience made me happy that all I have to deal with are regular headaches. What sucks is there's so little that can be done for it. Hope it's nothing more serious and I hope for Percy's sake that he doesn't have to deal with migraine's too often and that this was just induced by the dehydration.

marshallb
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Yea, it sounds like it was just a pretty severe migraine. Sad that anyone has to go through that. The Star Tribune has a couple articles that detail the situation:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/101089329.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKU7DYaG EP7vDEh7P:DiUs
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/101092209.html

marshallb
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Migraine's are terrible, I've only had one but that one experience made me happy that all I have to deal with are regular headaches. What sucks is there's so little that can be done for it. Hope it's nothing more serious and I hope for Percy's sake that he doesn't have to deal with migraine's too often and that this was just induced by the dehydration.

It sounds like the migraine was first induced when he was looking into the sky to catch a punt, so I'm guessing he looked straight into the sun and that was enough to set it off. After that he went inside and came back out a little later and that's when the vomitting and everything else happened.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
As someone who gets the occasional migraine, I could not imagine doing anything other than taking 6-7 extra strength advil and immediately going to bed, with absolutely no light in the room. Going through a football practice must be rough as hell.

Rosebud
08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
As someone who gets the occasional migraine, I could not imagine doing anything other than taking 6-7 extra strength advil and immediately going to bed, with absolutely no light in the room. Going through a football practice must be rough as hell.

I'm told acid blocks migraines, so what percy should do is start dosing himself...worked for Dock Ellis. *shrug*

wonderbredd24
08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
He was probably just overgasped from Favre's divine intervention

Babylon
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Percy has always seemed to be carrying more around with him besides his playbook going back to his Florida days.

Let's hope he's ok.

D-Unit
08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Dude needs to have his kick return responsibilities taken away from him. That's just asking to have permanent brain damage.

Rosebud
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Dude needs to have his kick return responsibilities taken away from him. That's just asking to have permanent brain damage.

:???: I r confused.

Nalej
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Does he were a visor? LT2 style? If not, he should strongly consider it.
It looks bad ass too

Bengals78
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm told acid blocks migraines, so what percy should do is start dosing himself...worked for Dock Ellis. *shrug*

LSD has a certain chemical in it that blocks/opens receptors in the brain.

In some European country (Cant remember which one) they are making progress with a non-addicting, non-hallucination inducing version.

History channel for the win.

Bengals78
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
:???: I r confused.

The constant looking up into the sun that causes the severe migraines.

Rosebud
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
The constant looking up into the sun that causes the severe migraines.

Gotcha, although I highly doubt his migraine's are severe enough to cause serious brain damage if he's still being allowed to return kicks and what not.

LSD has a certain chemical in it that blocks/opens receptors in the brain.

In some European country (Cant remember which one) they are making progress with a non-addicting, non-hallucination inducing version.

History channel for the win.

Non-hallucination inducing LSD FTL

Bengals78
08-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Gotcha, although I highly doubt his migraine's are severe enough to cause serious brain damage if he's still being allowed to return kicks and what not.

Non-hallucination inducing LSD FTL

Well, as non-fun as it sounds it is needed for the use as a treatment for migraines. Cant have a bunch of people tripping all day.

yourfavestoner
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
LSD is about an unaddictive of a drug as you could have. But yes, non-hallucinating LSD FTMFL

M.O.T.H.
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Consistent problem for Percy. He routinely misses practice and the occassional game (one regular season game last year) because of migraines. This is the same story as last year. Poor guy.

The guy was constantly listed as questionable/probable last year...because of migraines alone.

contento
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
did Harvin have serious migraine problems while he was at Florida?

Somehow I don't remember hearing anything about Migraines during the draft or beforehand in the various scouting reports.

TitanHope
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Did he have cotton mouth this time?

We all get migraines. No biggie.

M.O.T.H.
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
A lot of people have never had a migraine....just bad headaches. You'd know if you were having a migraine.

fenikz
08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
did Harvin have serious migraine problems while he was at Florida?

Somehow I don't remember hearing anything about Migraines during the draft or beforehand in the various scouting reports.

he smoked too much weed at florida to get a migraine

sbh15
08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Did he have cotton mouth this time?

We all get migraines. No biggie.

i've never had one. i've had sinus headaches. and percy doesn't get the occasional migrane, he gets regular ones. isn't weed another effective drug to reduce headaches, or at least the symptoms? maybe thats one reason he tested positive at the combine, he had to use it for migraines. or i could be wrong about this whole thing and he just enjoys the ganja. that, too, is acceptable.

fenikz
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
with most states having some form of legal marijuana, would the NFL suspend a player for using it legally?

TitanHope
08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I get that Harvin's migraines is a severe case.

There's a laundry list of things that people say is helped by weed. That was just a joke by me, but I guess the two could be related. Dehydration and not eating can cause or increase the severity of headaches.

with most states having some form of legal marijuana, would the NFL suspend a player for using it legally?

I don't think so, as long as it's prescribed. It'd probably fall under the lines as the players with ADD who are taking amphetamines for it (which is what Adderall is).

There are pure medicinal forms of marijuana though, like Marinol (I may've botched the spelling). I took it during chemo to give me the munchies so I'd feel like eating.

PackerLegend
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
So much for him "not wanting to practice". Anytime someone collapses and is taken away in an ambulance, thats scary stuff. Ive had headaches like everyone but never migraines. For the longest time I just thought it was a bad headache which im assuming many people mistake it as. As I now know its much much worse. No one should have to live with this, especially someone who seems like they suffer almost constantly. This must really really suck and then the guys playing in the NFL which must make it worse. Just looking into the sun could trigger it? Thats crazy.

descendency
08-19-2010, 05:09 PM
If you are posting about how you think harvin is exaggerating his migrane issue or anything in that vane, you haven't had a real migrane headache.

Last one I had, I had to take serious pain killers and stay out of light for quite a while to make the pain bearable.

yourfavestoner
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
he smoked too much weed at florida to get a migraine

i've never had one. i've had sinus headaches. and percy doesn't get the occasional migrane, he gets regular ones. isn't weed another effective drug to reduce headaches, or at least the symptoms? maybe thats one reason he tested positive at the combine, he had to use it for migraines. or i could be wrong about this whole thing and he just enjoys the ganja. that, too, is acceptable.

Responding to all of these at once:

Harvin was affected with migraine while at UF, but it wasn't as frequent or persistent as a problem as it is now. He was occasionally held out of practice and missed one game in his college career because of it (sophomore year, if I'm remembering correctly).

Also, he wouldn't be able to use medical marijuana even if prescribed by a doctor, for a couple of reasons. The CBA (even though we don't have one atm) supercedes state law, and it'll still an illegal substance under the CBA. Second, medical marijuana isn't protected by law in the workplace yet. Even if you have a legitimate medical reason, your employer can still take disciplinary action and/or fire you.

Also, (dunno if you guys remember this), but Hollis Thomas was suspended for PED use. His argument at the time was that he had asthma, and albuterol inhalers have steroids. Dunno if it falls under the same jurisdiction (since it's a PED and not an "illegal" substance), but there is some precedence here.

General Zod
08-19-2010, 06:27 PM
If you are posting about how you think harvin is exaggerating his migrane issue or anything in that vane, you haven't had a real migrane headache.

This.

In my teen years, I used to get serve migraines. The pounding and throbbing pain can be excruciating. They also last up to 48 hours and vary in severity during that time. Anywhere from a dull nagging pain, to pain so serve you cant stand upright.

They say that migraines can be stress related also. His grandma he was close to died recently, im betting the added stress is a contributing factor.

I'll say this, when I had my serve migraines, the only thing I could do to help it was darkness, silence, and someplace out of any kind of heat. Any kind of painkiller I took really did no good. So if Percy is playing through migraine pain of that sort, then I say that he one tough little bastard.

prock
08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
He was probably just overgasped from Favre's divine intervention

Then how did he survive playing with Tebow at UF??

Rosebud
08-19-2010, 06:41 PM

I had a friend who suffered from regular migraines and weed didn't stop them for her, they made them more bareable and less painful but they didn't go away the way weed does to normal headaches. It did help prevent them from coming on as viciously as she told me she could sense when one was going to come on later that day and when we smoked they didn't hit her as hard or as bad. I'm serious though about the acid, that **** did work, although it's hard to use that as a regular cure.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
This.

In my teen years, I used to get serve migraines. The pounding and throbbing pain can be excruciating. They also last up to 48 hours and vary in severity during that time. Anywhere from a dull nagging pain, to pain so serve you cant stand upright.

They say that migraines can be stress related also. His grandma he was close to died recently, im betting the added stress is a contributing factor.

I'll say this, when I had my serve migraines, the only thing I could do to help it was darkness, silence, and someplace out of any kind of heat. Any kind of painkiller I took really did no good. So if Percy is playing through migraine pain of that sort, then I say that he one tough little bastard.

I never had any 48 hour ones, that must have been awful. Mine usually only lasted a few. One time I had some Tylenol with codeine left over from my wisdom teeth removal and took 2-3 of those to deal with a migraine. I was lying down trying to sleep, and I could feel my entire body numbing with the codeine. Except for this one part of my head that kept throbbing. That one was brutal enough with the codeine, i'd hate to suffer through it with regular extra strength painkillers.

I never got mine diagnosed or anything, but I know they weren't regular headaches because I usually get auras. For those that don't know, it's some serious visual distortion that leads to a migraine. It starts off with one zig zaggy line in my eye, branches from there until eventually I have no peripheral vision and can't see very well at all. Then, it slowly fades away... and the migraine comes. The first time it happened I was really confused, and now it's just awful. It's like, you know you're about to be in some serious pain and have no way out of it.

I'm lucky cuz I rarely get them anymore. *knock on wood*. But they never ever seem to happen on a day where I'm doing nothing lol. I haven't called in sick to work in over a year, but I've had to go home halfway through 2-3 times in that span.

Brent
08-19-2010, 08:39 PM
my roommate in college used to have severe migraines. he took a lot of meds for it. once he had one so bad he couldnt speak and was having trouble recognizing his surroundings. I had to take his ass to the hospital.

PackerLegend
08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
my roommate in college used to have severe migraines. he took a lot of meds for it. once he had one so bad he couldnt speak and was having trouble recognizing his surroundings. I had to take his ass to the hospital.

Technically you didnt have to. You could have dumped his ass in a ditch or pushed him off a bridge.

wogitalia
08-20-2010, 07:43 AM
When he was drafted I had massive concerns over all sorts of things... who would have thought that getting off the weed would be the worst thing he did...

I've never had a migraine so I can't really relate but even the worst headache I've ever had I could have played/trained if I had wanted so it does seem kind of overboard to need an ambulance.

I wish he would get it sorted though, too talented a player to be missing everything with migraines, needs to get back on the wacky weed that seemed to pretty much obliterate the problem at UF...

eaglesalltheway
08-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Then how did he survive playing with Tebow at UF??

Guys, there has been a serious oversight by all of us. Harvin had less/less severe migraines because of Tim Tebow... maybe he is Jesus...
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/08/16-22/home%20alone.jpg

Honestly though, I hate hearing this stuff, migraines redefine the definition of pain, and hopefully he will find something that helps.

Rosebud
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
When he was drafted I had massive concerns over all sorts of things... who would have thought that getting off the weed would be the worst thing he did...

I've never had a migraine so I can't really relate but even the worst headache I've ever had I could have played/trained if I had wanted so it does seem kind of overboard to need an ambulance.

I wish he would get it sorted though, too talented a player to be missing everything with migraines, needs to get back on the wacky weed that seemed to pretty much obliterate the problem at UF...

No it doesn't. I've had one migraine in my life and the pain was paralyzing. If I even tried to move the pain was worse than when I shattered the bones in my leg into 5 pieces.

LizardState
08-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I had a friend who suffered from regular migraines and weed didn't stop them for her, they made them more bareable and less painful but they didn't go away the way weed does to normal headaches. It did help prevent them from coming on as viciously as she told me she could sense when one was going to come on later that day and when we smoked they didn't hit her as hard or as bad. I'm serious though about the acid, that **** did work, although it's hard to use that as a regular cure.

Migraines make you nauseated, not just queasy but throwing your guts up nauseated. Even on an empty stomach. The weed helps with the nausea & you can keep dinner down.