PDA

View Full Version : Roster spot in jeopardy for Dolphins' White

scpanther22
08-23-2010, 05:55 PM
guess the experiment is over?

Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano says he doesn't expect Pat White to play in the team's exhibition Friday against Atlanta, an indication the second-year quarterback's roster spot is in jeopardy.

White took three snaps to run out the clock in the opening game and didn't play Saturday at Jacksonville. He's fourth on the depth chart behind Chad Henne, Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpen, and Sparano has said he'll keep only three quarterbacks.

White, a second-round draft pick in 2009, struggled with his throwing accuracy during a disappointing rookie season.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/08/23/dolphins.ap/index.html?xid=si_nfl#ixzz0xTLyvRsa

GB12
08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
The Dolphins don't do so well with second round picks for QBs. AJ Feeley, Daunte Culpepper, Jon Beck, Pat White. At least they got Henne instead of Brohm.

descendency
08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
The Dolphins don't do so well with second round picks for QBs. AJ Feeley, Daunte Culpepper, Jon Beck, Pat White. At least they got Henne instead of Brohm.

This is the perfect example of why you shouldn't wait to get a quality signal caller.

V.I.P
08-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I never underdstood why they drafted him in the first place. Ronnie/Ricky excutes the wildcat perfectly.

nepg
08-23-2010, 06:45 PM
They were hoping he'd turn out to be a good WR, too. They also wanted to keep him from going to New England. The Pats ended up with Edelman instead...

descendency
08-23-2010, 08:01 PM
no it isn't.

pat white is a perfect example of why you should actually employ a scouting department.

how is signing daunte culpepper a perfect example of why you should spend a high pick on a qb? is pick 11 not high enough?

Culpepper wasn't acquired by the phins in the draft though. The Pat White pick was stupid.

But that's the kind of junk you get in the draft after round 1, typically.

Gay Ork Wang
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Culpepper wasn't acquired by the phins in the draft though. The Pat White pick was stupid.

But that's the kind of junk you get in the draft after round 1, typically.
Just like Chad Henne

BeerBaron
08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
i can't imagine they honestly expected pat white to ever be more than a wildcat qb. regardless, it's a bad argument. pointing to the fact that one team can't evaluate free agent qbs and two draft picks as evidence that you have to take a qb in the top 10 isn't really logically consistent.

Feely and Culpepper weren't FAs either. They were both traded for 2nd round picks. I think his point is that if you add it up, the Dolphins spent 5 recent 2nd round picks on QBs and right now only Henne has a chance of working out. That's pretty rough on a franchise.

A Perfect Score
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
And they just spent 2 on Brandon Marshall...Damn, the Phins really dont like the 2nd rounders.

Hurricanes25
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Is anybody surprised? The only surprising thing about White is the fact that he was a 2nd round pick.

PACKmanN
08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
why not try him at WR before cutting him? He will never recieve a bigger paycheck than the one he is getting from the Dolphins so he better not let his ego get in the way.

Marino13
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
why not try him at WR before cutting him? He will never recieve a bigger paycheck than the one he is getting from the Dolphins so he better not let his ego get in the way.

because White has flat out said he'd be better off playing baseball than playing WR. White asked for a chance to play QB, he got that chance and failed miserably. Now he just doesn't want to switch positions.

K Train
08-23-2010, 10:07 PM
i dont get how he wont even try though....he is a great ball carrier, if guys like ward, randle el, brad smith, matt jones can all be decent WRs (except el he blows) i think an athlete like pat white could handle the transition

Flyboy
08-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for Drew Brees, Miami!

scottyboy
08-24-2010, 09:44 AM
it's not even worth a "whoo i was right in your face crappy WVU player!" because everyone saw this coming.

Michigan
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Good riddance. More snaps for my boy Henne.

RealityCheck
08-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Daunte was a 1st rounder, if I recall.

GB12
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
You recall wrong

RealityCheck
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh I see, he was traded for a second rounder.

Brodeur
08-24-2010, 08:16 PM
He's still better than John Beck.

M.O.T.H.
08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
As I say compared to most 3rd stringers...still better than Stephen Mcgee. :(

Speaking of, he may be on the roster bubble as well.

dolphinfan2k5
08-24-2010, 11:54 PM
And they just spent 2 on Brandon Marshall...Damn, the Phins really dont like the 2nd rounders.

We did trade back to reacquire a second rounder.

And White hasn't been cut yet. My hope is that we just don't want to show his formations in the preseason. It just seems silly to cut a second rounder who was obviously a developmental prospect after one year, a year where he was placed in very difficult situations and still performed decently (in my opinion). I'm in the very, very small minority on this though.

CC.SD
08-25-2010, 01:39 AM
I feel like the phins thought they needed to stay a step ahead in the progression of the wildcat and that White was a tool they could use to keep that advantage. But the wildcat is stupid and Parcells should have known better than to blow this pick. Pat White has always been a WR prospect, and not even a great one, so stop BSing around and get him there.

Saints-Tigers
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
The Wild cat is awesome with Ronnie Brown. It's basically just an extra blocker.

Zycho32
08-25-2010, 04:58 AM
In retrospect, the Wildcat was merely an evolution of every trick play that involved a RB or a WR suddenly launching a pass downfield, the difference being it was a deliberate set-up piece by having the 'Wildcat' take the snap directly behind center.

The imitations that came afterward try to follow it, but are seemingly headed in a different direction; Highly Mobile QBs without elite passing skills utilizing said mobility to make the defense guess- pass or run? Think Kordell Stewart. Or better yet, think Michael Vick when he was brought in exclusively as a 'Relief QB' to run a Wildcat system.

Brent
08-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Didn't Mayock pump this guy to be a potential starter over Henne back in '09?

dolphinfan2k5
08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I feel like the phins thought they needed to stay a step ahead in the progression of the wildcat and that White was a tool they could use to keep that advantage. But the wildcat is stupid and Parcells should have known better than to blow this pick. Pat White has always been a WR prospect, and not even a great one, so stop BSing around and get him there.

The Wildcat is not stupid, it's a power running formation that has the occasional 'trick play' in it (when Brown passes).

In retrospect, the Wildcat was merely an evolution of every trick play that involved a RB or a WR suddenly launching a pass downfield, the difference being it was a deliberate set-up piece by having the 'Wildcat' take the snap directly behind center.

Not at all...

Didn't Mayock pump this guy to be a potential starter over Henne back in '09?

Yeah, Mayock liked White a lot. Some quotes from the draft after the Dolphins took him.

“He has as live an arm as anybody you wanna see”
“Pat white’s got a bigger arm than people wanna give him credit for”
“Tremendous accuracy and strength”

ironman4579
08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
i dont get how he wont even try though....he is a great ball carrier, if guys like ward, randle el, brad smith, matt jones can all be decent WRs (except el he blows) i think an athlete like pat white could handle the transition

Gahm I hate when people use Hines Ward in a discussion about college QB's moving to WR. Ward was NOT a QB at Georgia. The only time he played QB was for about 5 games as a sophmore. He was a full time receiver as a junior and senior. He was not a college QB.

BeerBaron
09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/10/pat-white-will-sign-with-the-kansas-city-royals/

He's signing a minor league deal with the KC Royals. Could have made a lot more more money in the NFL if he was just willing to convert to WR...

descendency
09-10-2010, 04:58 PM
The Wild cat is awesome with Ronnie Brown. It's basically just an extra blocker.

This. (10 char)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/10/pat-white-will-sign-with-the-kansas-city-royals/

He's signing a minor league deal with the KC Royals. Could have made a lot more more money in the NFL if he was just willing to convert to WR...

His speed was over-rated. He was fast for a QB, but was more like average or worse for a WR.

CC.SD
09-10-2010, 05:57 PM
This. (10 char)

His speed was over-rated. He was fast for a QB, but was more like average or worse for a WR.

even so, one year as a WR experiment would have paid him more than languishing in the minors for 5 seasons until he craps out.

Grizzlegom
09-10-2010, 09:21 PM
good riddance. TERRIBLE QB. No accuracy or arm strength. Athletic ability a bit over-rated in terms of football talent, too small to take the beating of a RB and over-rated speed when talking about a slot receiver.

BuddyCHRIST
09-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I always thought this evolution of the wild cat was freaking stupid, sports broadcasters can be so dumb. The Wild cat is basically just a power running formation so you can add an extra blocker, all this "OMHGAG HE's a Wildcat QB" stuff is stupid. Its made to run the damn ball.

dolphinfan2k5
09-11-2010, 12:16 AM
I always thought this evolution of the wild cat was freaking stupid, sports broadcasters can be so dumb. The Wild cat is basically just a power running formation so you can add an extra blocker, all this "OMHGAG HE's a Wildcat QB" stuff is stupid. Its made to run the damn ball.

That doesn't mean there's not potential for it to be more, it just didn't happen to work out very well in this instance.

superman
09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
that draft was either starters or complete busts. no solid in betweens.