PDA

View Full Version : Draft needs 2011

fontes
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM
So, where do you think the Pats will go position-wise next draft?

I never say never but I don't think they will take a DB or a QB or a TE in the first two rounds.

So, that leaves Rb, OL, DL, LB, and maybe WR.

What do you all think? Any predictions on the first four picks?

snowplow
08-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I think the best lineman available in the first round, one from each side. Then Linebackers and runningbacks in the second.

WR--I hope Moss comes back, Welker is good and Tate and or Edelman excel.

Don Vito
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I'd say-

1. DE
2. OL
3. RB
4. #1 WR
5. OLB

We should be set at TE, CB, and S. OLB could be #3 but TBC had a very good year last year and there is a lot of hope for Cunningham, I'd say #'s 3-5 are interchangeable now.

We really need a 5-tech and there should be a great class for them next year, and we really could use some OL help especially along the interior even if Mankins were to come back which he will probably not. There are some great looking #1 receiver prospects as potential Moss replacements; and it would be tough to pass on a guy like Green, Baldwin, Floyd, or Jones even with young guys like Tate, Edelman, and Price with Welker still around. I love BJGE but we need a big time RB and/or a future replacement for K-Faulk.

As usual we have a good amount of needs on paper, but it isn't as bad as it looks. I really want a 5-tech early and that is certain, but in my opinion after that it could really go any way.

nepg
08-26-2010, 06:49 PM
1 DE
2 OLB
3 OL
4 RB
5 WR

But you can draft the best available player from that group. This should be a deep RB class, so maybe I'd put it below WR... But they need multiple RBs including a Faulk replacement), so that's why I stick it at #4.

Nalej
08-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Og/c
Olb
De
Rb
Wr

Razor
08-27-2010, 06:56 AM
I'd rank our needs:

OLB
DE
OL
WR
RB

Without a decent pass rush our defense will never get off the field. Just look at last night against the Rams. At this point I think that BB might want to draft a DE come april due to his track record, but OLB is just a bigger need imo.

AntoinCD
08-27-2010, 07:22 AM
I personally feel that 5 tech is starting to go down the list of priorities. I get having Seymour, Wilfork and Warren two years was great and all but realistically now we can be more than competitive with Warren(next year when healthy), Wilfork and a rotation of G Warren, Wright, Brace, Pryor etc. The two biggest needs for me are OLB and interior O line.

However come next year if we have the chance to take one of the top WRs or Ryan Williams etc I'd say go for it. But assuming both firsts are between 15-32 then I would go Von Miller/Jack Crawford etc and Mike Pouncey, Rodney Hudson etc.

It is probably way too early to project where players will go, however unless a real value player not at either of the two positions is available, I think BB should go with these positions

1. OLB
2. OG/C
3. RB
4. DE
5. WR
6. OT

descendency
08-27-2010, 12:17 PM
We need a #1 WR but we do NOT need WR depth, so if AJ Green or Jon Baldwin or those kinds of guys are not available, then it becomes a non-need at all.

3 of our first 4 picks need to be invested into a RB, DE, and OLB. The OLB group is just garbage beyond TBC. The DE group is Ty Warren and a bunch of band-aids. And outside of Kevin Faulk on 3rd down, our RB core is among the worst in the NFL. They simply can not churn yardage when we need it. It's so bad they wanted to move Julian Edelman to RB but for whatever reason, he didn't work out.

I think then we need a T/G to play either RT, RG, or maybe LT. I'm fairly happy with Dan Connolly at LG so far. Maybe Logan Mankins comes back when the two sides cool down from the war and Connolly can be moved to RG. Maybe Kaczur can still play RG next year. All I know is that the OL needs to get younger because Neal is considering retirement, Light can't play RT and is going to struggle against great pass rushers at LT, Koppen gets hurt, and so on.

If Christian Ponder drops into the second round like Jimmy Clausen did (which I doubt he will), I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Patriots take him. Brady looks great right now, but he's 33 and had a serious knee injury. He might not play to 36. Hoyer has looked good though.

proshoota25
08-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I think the lines will be addressed. M. Pouncey in this upcoming draft is a name I think we should be aware of around draft time for the Pats.

fontes
08-27-2010, 06:19 PM
How about 2 O lineman, a RB, and a WR with the first four picks. The offense would be set for a while.

Jvig43
08-27-2010, 07:32 PM
How about 2 O lineman, a RB, and a WR with the first four picks. The offense would be set for a while.

Omg I would run over kittens with a lawn mower if this happened. If we dont come out of the first two rounds without at least an OLB or DE I'm going to lose patience with our draft strategy.

fontes
08-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Defensive ends
Robert Quinn DE 6'4⅝" 254 North Carolina 95 1 2 Not likely
Allen Bailey DE 6'3" 287 Miami (FL) 93 2 9 maybe
Cameron Heyward DE 6'5" 278 Ohio State 92 3 14 probably
Adrian Clayborn DE 6'3" 285 Iowa 91 4 17 probably
Ryan Kerrigan DE 6'4" 259 Purdue 90 5 28 probably
Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 247 Boston College 92 1 11 maybe
Travis Lewis OLB 6'2" 232 Oklahoma 91 2 18 probably
Von Miller OLB 6'3" 238 Texas A&M 91 3 20 probably
Bruce Carter OLB 6'3" 225 North Carolina 90 4 26 probably
Nate Solder OT 6'8" 300 Colorado 93 1 8 Not likely
Gabe Carimi OT 6'6" 318 Wisconsin 92 2 16 maybe
Orlando Franklin OT 6'6⅜" 318 Miami (FL) 91 3 23 probably
Anthony Castonzo OT 6'7" 295 Boston College 90 4 30 probably
Mark Ingram RB 5'10" 215 Alabama 91 1 19 maybe
Ryan Williams RB 5'10" 210 Virginia Tech 90 2 24 probably
A.J. Green WR 6'4" 208 Georgia 94 1 4 Not likely
Julio Jones WR 6'4" 211 Alabama 90 2 3 Not likely

What do you think about these possibilities with the first two picks.

The comments refer to availability

Razor
08-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Defensive ends

I've bolded the names of the players I think BB would consider drafting. Robert Quinn would play OLB for us, and probably the players that I want the most next year a long with AJ Green.

descendency
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Defensive ends

Marcell Dareus (DE-Alabama) should be on that list.

FlyingElvis
08-31-2010, 09:16 AM
The lists look right, and I'm sure we'll all be clamoring for an OLB again next year (which we won't get.)

I think G/C will be the most important need. OLB will be second.

DE / WR will both depend largely on how our young talent does this year. If Brace looks like he did against the Rams going forward (or even near that level, consistently) and one of those other guys looks like good depth (Pryor, Deadrick, etc.) then we may be ok there.

Similar story at WR with the young guys plus the status of Moss, though I think another young WR with #1 potential should be brought in either way.

AntoinCD
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Defensive ends

I realistically think the bolded players, if available, would be the most likely of that list.

A few on that list that need clarified

Mark Herzlich-Love the story and going to BC obviously would make him an instant fan favourite, but he would be an ILB in the Pats scheme and that position is stacked.

Travis Lewis/Bruce Carter-Once again wouldn't be able to play OLB in a 34

Von Miller-Looks like he will be a DE playing OLB, ie he will be a stand up pass rusher and nothing more. If he can't show he can set the edge in the run game and also drop into coverage then he will be off the list.

Mark Ingram-Ingram profiles as a pound it out workhorse type of back. I dont think the Patriots will be in the market for one of these. Williams is more of a do-it-all back and would be the choice of the two IMO.

nepg
08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree that they only go WR if there's a superior talent available.

DE is the same way (though they may add a depth player later).

G and C are big needs, so is OLB (even if it's just depth).

Matthew Jones
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Lately I've been hoping that the Patriots would go for help on both sides of the line this year. Sebastian Vollmer is taking over for Matt Light at left tackle next year, but we don't have anyone we can count on to man the right tackle spot now, with Kaczur's career potentially in danger following back surgery. That's a very serious injury. Who knows if he can ever come back. Getting a strong right tackle would be a good idea in the first or second round.

It seems like New England could potentially be interested in getting a center at some point as well. Dan Koppen and Tom Brady have a great rapport, but with more teams switching to a 3-4, Koppen's inability to handle massive nose tackles is becoming more and more costly for the offensive line and someone more physical would be appreciated. It seems as though New England intends on drafting someone here soon, as they have reportedly shown interest in first-round prospects Eric Wood and Maurkice Pouncey over the last two years.

Even if Ron Brace is able to establish himself as a starter along the defensive line, we could still use an early pick (potentially a first-round pick) in order to find another starter at the five-technique. I'm expecting good things from Gerard Warren this year (call me crazy), but he is 32 years old and I think Mike Wright is going to have trouble playing the amount of snaps that a starter at defensive end should be playing.

I don't think Belichick is going to want to address outside linebacker this year after signing Tully Banta-Cain to a surprisingly long extension and drafting Jermaine Cunningham in the second round this year. That could change, but I think he'll wait. He could potentially look at a running back - getting a young stud like a Mark Ingram could extend Tom Brady's career and help establish a consistent run game. New England could also look to a wide receiver if Randy Moss leaves the team, or an offensive guard if Neal retires and no one steps up this year.

FlyingElvis
09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
DE definitely tops the list. T.Warren & G.Warren are both old enough to back up with a future starter. Even if Brace looks like he can take one side we'll still need the other side covered. Wright is a great "motor" guy, but if I'm an O-coordinator (or top QB that calls plays) I'm checking into a run play right at him every time he's on the field.

Tully . . . well, he's Tully. Don't let the contract fool you. He gets it all this year (uncapped) and has a contract that makes him an easy cut at any time. When he's on the same side as Wright I'm absolutely checking to a run to their side, which is pretty much the case every time they're on the field together.

O'Dowd, round 1. 20 - 30 (hopefully 32!) range in the draft sounds good for him, imo. I don't see any reason to take a RT before late round 2. Tony Washington is still waiting for a call . . . just sayin' . . .

proshoota25
09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
a name i think the pats could draft in the mid to late rounds to watch for........ DE/OLB Justin Trattou (spelling) out of Florida.

descendency
09-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Let's see how this changes after the Jets game.

Priority Rating System:
5 - Extreme (first round)
4 - High
3 - Normal (mid round)
2 - Low
1 - Late Round
0 - None

QB - 1
Hoyer needs competition to push him (and will likely get it)

RB - 5
None signed passed 2010. Don't be surprised if our first two picks are RBs.

#1 WR - 5
Randy Moss won't be a big time threat much longer.

WR - 0
Have you seen our WRs???

TE - 1
Just special teamers

OT - 3
A RT would be nice to replace Vollmer when he moves to LT (after Light retires/is not resigned)

OG/C - 3.5
Mankins not coming back; Neal and Koppen often injured. Could use two mid round picks on the interior for depth or maybe a starter in the future.

DE - 4.5
The DL looked good in game one, but let's see it in game 2. I have a feeling this group still is a very big need. A top DE could vastly improve this defense in all aspects. *cough Clayborn cough*

NT - 2
Not a big need, but our DTs are transitioning slow (normal actually, but it feels slow)

OLB - 4.9
Uhh... yea, this is self explanatory.

ILB - 0
Spikes, Mayo, Fletcher, and Guyton = best ILB core in the NFL.

S - 0
Chung, Meriweather, Sanders, and whoever = top tier safety group

CB - 1
I love McCourty and Butler and like the flashes from Wheatley, plus Bodden coming back makes this a low priority, but they could use someone to push Wheatley.

ST - 0
K - 0
P - 0
Our special teams just needs time to grow up some.

HellonEarth84
10-03-2010, 12:21 AM
OLB - ninkovich is a practice squad player, and TBC cant defend the run
WR - only if moss leaves
DE - only if the value is there. I wouldnt reach though. We have T.Warren, G.Warren, Brace, Pryor, and Wright.
RB - huge need, luckily RBs are dime a dozen and easily found

nepg
10-03-2010, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't pass on Marcel Dareus (either first round pick), and I might take a shot at Bailey (2nd first round pick)... Other than that, I think they can abstain from DE in the first round for other positions.

Razor
10-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Lately I've been drooling over LaMichael James. Once again he dominated last night and I think I might want to have his children. I also (maybe, not sure yet though) think that he could have a better NFL career than Ingram since he has better long speed. I'd love for us to take him if he declares, he's a RS sophomore iirc.

Razor
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm just taking this here, no reason to hi-jack the mock draft thread.

With each passing game im getting more and more comfortable with BJGE getting 15 carries a game. Bring Kevin Faulk back(hopefully), develop Woodhead who has looked exciting, and it looks as though RB could be further down the list of needs.

It's hard to tell with this team at the moment. Last night I would have said the biggest need was DE as Wilfork had to play out of position, but then if you think of the young talent still learning at the position, plus Ty Warren coming back then it's not as pressing. At OLB Cunningham looks like a real solid player across the board against the run and the pass, TBC is a good pass rusher but an top player could be used there(despite Ninkovich's career game).

Im actually starting to lean towards offensive line early and unless a true difference maker at OLB or WR is available I wouldn't mind taking Castonzo or Love early. This will more than likely be the case if the Raiders pick up a few wins though.

In saying that I like this draft and if I would make one slight change it would be Quinn instead of Ingram.
I just watching the game right now (2 minutes left in the fourth quarter) and I really like how Law Firm is running the ball. I'd still love to get a dynamic runner like James, Ingram or Williams, but I think RB is less of a need for us now than it was four weeks ago. But still, I'd love to get a RB early in the draft and re-sign Law Firm.

FlyingElvis
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I think we all appreciate what BJGE brings to the table. But the only reason we don't want more is because we're so used to doing it with average +/- ancient RBs. This offense would be monsterous with a do-it-all stud. It's also safe to say we must add RB depth anyway since we can't make it through a season w/out two of them getting injured along the way.

Don Vito
10-10-2010, 05:08 PM
What do you guys think of Bowers the Clemson DE? He is more of a 4-3 guy probably but I would love to have him on our squad, he is a crazy physical talent who really can get to the QB. He doesn't really look like a 3-4 OLB, but I think he could be a McGinnest type of player.

Jvig43
10-10-2010, 05:52 PM
If we went with RB would you guys be opposed to Ingram?

Don Vito
10-10-2010, 10:56 PM
If we went with RB would you guys be opposed to Ingram?

I am a guy who has been preaching for front 7 help for 3 years, but if we take a RB early, I want Ingram. I think he could be an absolute stud in the NFL.

nepg
10-10-2010, 11:05 PM
I like Ingram, but I think I'd be more in favor of targetting someone else there and target a different RB a bit later. There are a lot of good ones that will be available.

Jvig43
10-10-2010, 11:32 PM
******* Raiders winning today. Where do you get off?

Hopefully we still get a top ten pick. Most likely no chance of getting a top five pick right now. Too many teams are sucking.

proshoota25
10-11-2010, 12:18 AM
im a big fan of daniel thomas as well..... i think he could be a sleeper stud.... wouldnt mind using our pick for him late in the first round or carolinas 2nd rounder

nepg
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
There are enough ****** teams pulling out stupid wins that the Raiders might still have a shot at giving the Pats a Top 5.

ElectricEye
10-11-2010, 09:34 AM
im a big fan of daniel thomas as well..... i think he could be a sleeper stud.... wouldnt mind using our pick for him late in the first round or carolinas 2nd rounder

I think Thomas would work out well for us. Not with a first rounder, but maybe with a late second/ early third round pick.

nepg
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
See, there are a bunch of guys that fit the mold that should be in this draft class...

Daniel Thomas, Ryan Williams, DeMarco Murray, Mikel Leshoure...

Razor
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm off Thomas, at least for now. He's not explosive at all, so I'm not sold on him as a pro prospect just yet.

Babylon
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Having brought in what seems like a number of new players in the past couple of years i wonder if this might be the time to consolodate a lot of those extra picks and move up in the draft. I'd really be excited to add a Marcel Dareus and an A.J. Green to name a few.

nepg
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I think Dareus is their #1 target with Oakland's pick. The idea of Julio Jones has grown on me because of the different ways he can be used. AJ Green would just be a Moss replacement.

Patriots_QB_12
10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Post-Moss, I think WR makes a huge jump for needs, and outside of AJ Green, Im not sure of whoelse I'd want. I think WR beats the need for RB on offence.

Babylon
10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Post-Moss, I think WR makes a huge jump for needs, and outside of AJ Green, Im not sure of whoelse I'd want. I think WR beats the need for RB on offence.

I think Michael Floyd fits the bill although i dont think he's a burner. Julio Jones i see broke a bone in his hand. He seems to scream Diva to me so i'd go in a differant direction. Dareus and Jones both from the same school? The John Hannah influence cant be that strong.

descendency
10-11-2010, 07:02 PM

We have a lot of young WR talent. I think the team will give it a chance to prove itself.

However, if someone like Julio Jones is around too long, I could see him being targeted by the Patriots because he has that deep speed and size that lots of other wide receivers will never have.

Too bad his hands are worse than TOs.

ElectricEye
10-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I think Dareus is their #1 target with Oakland's pick. The idea of Julio Jones has grown on me because of the different ways he can be used. AJ Green would just be a Moss replacement.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

snowplow
10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I hope they stay away from Rbs and WRs in the first round or two.

OL, DL, OLB in the first two rounds. Double up on one. But don't move up

Razor
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
This thing with Robert Quinn might be a blessing in disguise. The way I see it he might fall out of the top 20 just like Dez did and since OLB is argueably our biggest need we might come out of this with both Heyward and Quinn. :) Please... Make it happen, Bill.

ElectricEye
10-13-2010, 10:07 AM
The thing with Quinn is we would need him to slim back down to about 250 to 260, and I'm not sure he's headed in that direction.

Nalej
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
The thing with Quinn is we would need him to slim back down to about 250 to 260, and I'm not sure he's headed in that direction.

Quinn and a DE would make me smile.

Razor
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Quinn and LaMichael would make me ***.

ElectricEye
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I really like Aldon Smith too, who Scott mocked to us in his latest. Him in the late first along with Heyward or AJ Green would be amazing.

Boston_george
10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I want the Pats to go get that unbelievable OLB with Oakland's pick, but for some reason I just don't think they will.

Should the Patriots go after another safety in the early rounds (late 1st or 2nd)? The Pats have played a lot of big nickel this year. Merriweather has seemed to lose favor with the coaching staff. I know we have depth in Page, Sanders, and McGowan but if we are continuing to play 3 safeties in sub packages it would be a good idea to provide an upgrade. Obviously this is presuming there is a player available that can be an upgrade.

It scares me that the Pats may have to go back to drafting a corner early again. While I don't think it would happen; it's still possible given the struggles or Butler and Wilhite to get on the field. We will know the status of their needs better at the end of the year. That said you have to look at players that can't get on the field as sunk costs and find guys that are going to productive.

It will be interesting to see what direction the Pats go with all these picks.

FlyingElvis
10-22-2010, 01:46 PM
^ It sucks to think we've invested a good amount of picks into CBs that are underperforming, but that just makes me want to see a top CB taken for a change. We really can't expect to snag Assante Samuel type steals in the mid rounds all the time. The league is so pass happy these days that it makes the most sense to just bite the bullet and value the blue chip DBs over everything else.

I'd still rather see a DE with the Raiders pick, but the class is fairly deep there and we could always move up from 22ish to grab someone in the teens if necessary. CB at 10 would not prevent us from getting a top DE still, whereas DE at 10 could very well put us out of the hunt for the (presumably) 2 solid CB talents. (Obviously, we could still move up for the CB, but the point is that CB looks to be harder to come by in the upcoming draft when compared to DE.)

nepg
10-22-2010, 06:13 PM
If Peterson is there, that'd be a boss pick. Prince might be palatable as well. However, I see Butler coming out of his struggles and becoming a damn good corner still.

ElectricEye
10-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I could justify us taking either of those two, especially Peterson. We've taken a lot of corners, but we haven't taken any game changers at that position(or anywhere on defense for that matter).

descendency
10-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Nick Fairley or Adrian Clayborn are my two current favorite players I want on NE with the Raiders pick. I could definitely go for a Patrick P or a Prince A, if available though. Both are legitimate shutdown corners.

ElectricEye
10-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Fairley is interesting, but I'm starting to favor a Robert Quinn/JJ Watt first round with a Ryan Kerrigan/ Best Wide Receiver available second round.

Babylon
10-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Nick Fairley or Adrian Clayborn are my two current favorite players I want on NE with the Raiders pick. I could definitely go for a Patrick P or a Prince A, if available though. Both are legitimate shutdown corners.

Really impressed with Clayborn, to me he is by far the best of guys like Dareus, Quinn, Bowers... although those guys arent too shabby.

Matthew Jones
10-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Really impressed with Clayborn, to me he is by far the best of guys like Dareus, Quinn, Bowers... although those guys arent too shabby.

Clayborn could be the top end prospect, but he's more suited to a power end role in a 4-3 or maybe a one-gap role in a 3-4 defense (for a team like the Jets or Ravens, maybe.) New England's defensive linemen are expected to account for two gaps in the run game, and to try to command double teams so that our linebackers are free to roam around the field, making tackles and putting pressure on the quarterback. He's just not that great of a fit for the Patriots, and historically Belichick has been unwilling to change his defense to accommodate players who don't fit well into what's already there (see his historical unwillingness to draft a wide variety of skilled but undersized pass rushers.)

Bowers is another one-gap guy, so he probably won't be the pick either. Same could most likely be said for Allen Bailey, who fits much better into the defense of the Cowboys or Chargers than the Patriots. Marcel Dareus has got to be considered the front-runner for a 3-4 end in New England, assuming they have a top-ten draft pick. Otherwise, they could target a Heyward or Crick later on in the draft, who both have that height and length that Belichick found so appealing with Richard Seymour. If the team opts not to address the end position in the first round (entirely possible given the depth the team has already), they could potentially target someone like Christian Ballard later on.

nepg
10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Bowers would be an OLB for the Pats.

Matthew Jones
10-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Honestly I don't see that at all. This guy is a defensive end in a 4-3 and a defensive end in a one-gap 3-4. There's not really any place for him in our defense.

ElectricEye
10-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I actually disagree about Bowers. He came into this year in a lot better shape and condition and has cut his playing weight a bit. His quickness and lateral agility has improved this year.

What do the rest of you think about Watt? He seems to be the prototypical BB DE. Like his ability to handle the run better, but you lose something as a pass rusher. I actually think I like Watt a little bit better than Daerus right now just because of his length. He's not as stout or quick, but he uses his body so well and he's an excellent athlete in his own right.

descendency
11-17-2010, 01:35 AM
I think Watt could be a smart pick in the second round. I think there are too many 5-techniques this year to draft him much earlier.

It really depends on what the coaching staff thinks of Deaderick because I don't think they will look at him (Watt) as a nickel rusher, though he was impressive against OSU.

Bowers doesn't fit in NE's 34 defense or NE's nickel package. He might be able to play DT in the nickel, but he'll be gone way before that kind of specialized player is taken. His best fit is a 43 DE and someone in the top 10 will agree and probably take him as such.

---

Crick post-Suh doesn't impress me at all. I see a lot less from him.

Same could most likely be said for Allen Bailey, who fits much better into the defense of the Cowboys or Chargers than the Patriots.

Bailey holds the point of attack, can bull rush anyone, has long arm and is a big guy. He'd be a good fit for either 34 defense. (either = 2 gap like us or 1 gap like dallas)

I've seen him play 2 gaps at Miami. I've seen him play UT, DE, and Rush Linebacker (yea, he played 7-tech in a 2 point stance a few plays). The kid improves every year. I really really think he could be a monster if Belichick can get a hold of him. He needs to work on his disengaging blockers to be more effective in a 2 gap system, but I don't see it as a huge problem. With his strength, he needs to just throw the blocker out of the way and swarm the ball carrier.

He's slowly becoming one of my favorite draft prospects even if I still think he needs some serious work on getting off the snap faster. But he plays faster now than he did last year and it's causing havoc.

nepg
11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Honestly I don't see that at all. This guy is a defensive end in a 4-3 and a defensive end in a one-gap 3-4. There's not really any place for him in our defense.

He's not a DL in a 3-4 in any way. I'm not saying he'd be a fit at OLB or not for the Pats, but if they took him, that's where he'd play. Maybe he can be like Tamba Hali...

descendency
11-23-2010, 12:04 AM
After perusing internet sources for cap and contract info, I came to the following list of needs for NE in 2011. (obviously some can be met in FA, so don't think I am purely talking draft here)

1. Pass Rusher
I don't necessarily just mean an OLB either. I mean a 5-tech who can play UT in the nickel too. Our depth is just awful at pass rushing. Mike Wright went down and so did our pass rush in the nickel. We can't beat the Colts or anyone else consistently if we don't upgrade the pass rush. We need to shorten the amount of time QBs get to make throws on our putrid secondary.

2. Cornerback
Speaking of our putrid secondary, we need another cornerback. Sure, we get Leigh Bodden back, but can anyone in this group serious play nickel DB? I'd prefer not. Butler is just falling apart and Arrington and Wilhite just are not that good either. Arrington is an FA at the end of the year anyways.

3. Interior OL (G/C)
Logan Mankins is unlikely to return. Stephen Neal is retiring and injury prone. Dan Koppen is injury prone. Dan Connolly is a solid starter but would be a better backup. Ryan Wendell is a free agent. The rest of the depth are career backups at best. There are no true centers to backup Dan Koppen (Wendell has experience there, but is more of a guard). This could be a first round pick in 2011. Rumors are the Patriots targeted both Maurkice Pouncey and Eric Wood, but both were grabbed before NE picked.

4. Runningback
How many runningbacks do you think are currently signed to play in the 2011 season? If you guessed anything but zero, you're wrong. We have literally no one signed at running back past 2010. While I think we should definitely try to keep some of the guys on the roster, it may make better sense to go after a free agent or a draft prospect. We are going to need at least 3 RBs. Maybe more. (Obviously, everyone wants Faulk, Woodhead, and BJGE back right now, but it just may not happen. If they come back, I would think the team needs at least one more RB)

5. Pass Rusher #2
If we draft a DE who can play UT, we also need an OLB or visa versa. This might be too low. But I think a little improvement will go a long way in this category.

6. Right Tackle
I have no love for Matt Light in 2011 or beyond and no love for Nick Kaczur at all. Sebastian Vollmer needs to be the left tackle and the Patriots need a RT. To be honest, they need to start revamping the OL entirely (they're good at not making mistakes, but they are starting to pile up injuries and lose their athleticism)

7. Defensive back #2
My surprise pick for the Patriots (in the first two rounds) could be a safety. Brandon Meriweather seems to make stupid plays in games and the coaching staff doesn't like it either. I really see him on another team in the near future. and the Patriots going in another direction. This could be another CB, because our CBs suck.

8. Wide Receiver
We really don't have anyone over 6'1" that can catch a pass outside of Rob Gronkowski. Just need to find someone who can block, get separation, and catch consistently. A red-zone threat if you will.

9. Fullback
The patriots don't have a real fullback. We put Sammy Morris at that spot right now, but it would be so much better to put a guy like Stanley Havili there. Better lead blocker, better receiver, better running ability. Morris needs to be let go in 2010 (he's a FA). It's time to bring in a FB.

10. Quarterback
Brian Hoyer needs some competition to keep him going and god forbid someone get hurt. If nothing else, a camp arm should be brought in with a draft pick.

11. Nose Tackle
I don't think Vince Wilfork needs to be replaced, but who is the Patriots backup NT? Myron Pryor plays the nose. He's not very good at it and is more of a nickel UT (and not great at that either, but much better). Gerard Warren plays backup NT too, but he's a FA and not very good at it. A backup NT could be nice to have for when Wilfork needs a blow on the sideline. (and at like 370, I bet he needs them more often)

bullg8rdaddy
11-23-2010, 12:54 AM
How happy would you guys be with a 1st round of WR Julio Jones and RB Mark Ingram, then a second with DE Cameron Heyward and OG John Moffitt?

FlyingElvis
11-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I just don't see this FO taking a RB high. The Law Firm (heretofore extending to include Woodhead because, let's face it "BenJarvis Green-Ellis & Woodhead sounds even more Law-Firm-ey than BJGE does alone) is a solid combination for NE given the passing ball control style of play. Resign them and hope for a return of Faulk, however unlikely that may be.

Target the later round RBs that always prove to be gems. *cough* *Blount* *cough*

I think what I like most about descendency's list is that WR falls so far down. That makes it a lock to be our first round selection. lol

The least obvious scenario based on our needs would be CB / WR in round one. Mark it down now.

ElectricEye
11-23-2010, 10:45 AM
How happy would you guys be with a 1st round of WR Julio Jones and RB Mark Ingram, then a second with DE Cameron Heyward and OG John Moffitt?

I think we're completely out of Mark Ingram mode here. I would rather get a better defensive end and look for a runner later.

Also, descendency, it's not just a red zone type we need. We have those already in Gronk, Hernandez, and the improved short yardage running game. We need a guy who can actually beat a corner on straight route against man coverage and not in an option route/zone coverage situation.

descendency
11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Just throwing a name out there: Justin Houston. Can play all 3 downs without being a liability.

Another potential (longer shot): Marcel Dareus. Could play DE+UT. Not having the best year and guys like Nick Fairley will get drafted higher because of that. I just don't know if that's enough to push him into the Patriots range.

And yea, we need someone who can consistently beat man coverages too because our offense is predicated on zone beatting WRs now right. The only way to force teams into zone blitzing is to have a down the field threat. I guess I have a bit too much optimism for Brandon Tate so far.

Just a thought on potential picks (4 rounds deep):

1. Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
A 3 down OLB. The only player at Georgia doing anything right now. May get drafted before this sadly. I think he has special written all over him in the Patriots D.

1. Stefan Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
Fills a potential need at Guard and a future center. Not quite in the Eric Wood or Maurkice Pouncey mold, but definitely a very good technician with good athleticism for a guard (and obviously a center)

2. Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
He has all of the physical talents you could possibly want. His QB sucks too. This kid reeks of future great WR and just hasn't had the production to get drafted in round 1. If NE lets him fall any farther, it will be insane. When he's catching 50-60 balls from Tom Brady in 2011, don't be surprised. At 6'5", 230, 4.4*, he's a man and zone coverage beater. He will demand double teams. Think young poor mans' Randy Moss who isn't afraid to go over the middle. (and if NE is paying attention, we might have Randy Moss to tutor him too lol)

2. Trade out/down
There just isn't anything on the board that I consider reasonable that should be taken by NE at this point. I'd love to use this pick to get a RT or a player like DeAngelo Williams (who will likely be tagged and traded). But a second next year and a 5th or something would be nice as well.

3. Davon House, CB, NMSU
While he's not playing top tier talent regularly, this guy could be an excellent value here. He's an All-Conference CB who owns all of his schools CB records.

3. James Carpenter, G, Alabama
While he plays LT for Alabama, I seriously question whether he has the atheleticism to play LT in the NFL. However, I don't question whether he has it to play G. He is a perfect ZBS guard and is being rated too low in my opinion. Good pass protector and powerful run blocker. Right Tackle may be an option.

4. Stanley Havili, FB, USC
While it's not a need, I think it gives NE some serious scheme versatility to draft a guy like this. He's basically an upgrade to Sammy Morris. He'll play all 4 downs.

I didn't draft a running back because there will likely be either a trade or a FA brought in. Quite frankly, this running back class sucks in the late second to early 4th. Lots of skinny legs and guys with no burst. I'd almost sacrifice a 1st next year and a second this year to get Ingram, but then I remembered our team is built on undrafted free agent running backs.

Razor
11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I love the way Houston plays ball, but I can't see him falling to us unfortunately. :( That's why I have Kerrigan in my sig who would also be a great pick. Wisniewski would be nice to get, but I'm completely off Baldwin in the first two rounds. Imo he has bust written all over him, but it seems I stand alone with this opinion. Trade out/down seems like a very plausible scenario when it comes to all of our picks haha. House in the third is OK by me, we could use another body at CB. Also, Havili in the fourth would be a good pick.

bullg8rdaddy
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback, fellas!

ElectricEye
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Kerrigan would not be a bad consolation prize for Houston in the slightest.

nepg
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Kerrigan might be too similar to Cunningham, but I'll sure as hell take him.

ElectricEye
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing ;)

nepg
11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing ;)

It's not, but you need one of them to be able to be effective in pass coverage. Maybe Cunningham will get to that point by next year... Not saying I wouldn't take the Prince of Blades, though...don't get me wrong.

Razor
11-24-2010, 03:23 AM

I'll give that they are similar but Kerrigan is a far better pass rusher than Cunningham imo.

ElectricEye
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I would agree with that. Kerrigan has more moves and plays more intensely, not that that's an issue with Cunningham, it's just such a positive for Kerrigan. Similar athletes though.

nepg
11-28-2010, 11:54 AM
So this is the first two rounds scenario I'm thinking right now...
1a. Prince of Blades
1b. Lee Ziemba
2a. Stefan Wisniewski
2b. DeMarco Murray

ElectricEye
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Ehh.

Prince of Blades is a perfect fit, love him here. Nothing wrong with that pick. Potentially a little high relative to how other teams value him, but who cares? We have shown a track record that we don't.

Ziemba is more of a third round value. Limited to RT in the NFL. Not a bad thing, but still. If we fall in love with him and think Vollmer can be a great LT for us(I still think he can), then that's a good pick as Ziemba is a real good linemen and will make somebody happy, but I think I prefer a DE there like Watt or Cameron Jordan even.

Stefan Wisniewski is a good linemen, but can he play center and be an upgrade over Koppen?

Murray I like a lot, but he scares the **** out of me too because there's a very high Maroney factor there.

Babylon
11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
So this is the first two rounds scenario I'm thinking right now...
1a. Prince of Blades
1b. Lee Ziemba
2a. Stefan Wisniewski
2b. DeMarco Murray

Not saying your's is bad but i'd go with:

Michael Floyd
Riley Reiff
JJ Watt
Mark Herzlich

Razor
11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Who the hell is Prince of Blades?

ElectricEye
11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Not saying your's is bad but i'd go with:

Michael Floyd
Riley Reiff
JJ Watt
Mark Herzlich

That would be a hell of a draft.

Prince of Blade=Ryan Kerrigan. Learn2Starcraft.

Razor
11-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I love it then! :D

nepg
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
What do you guys think of QB in the first round? I'm thinking, with 4 guys that have virtually no ceiling, there might be some options there with one of their picks.

There are a couple aspects to taking a QB.

-Tom Brady is 33. He's not very close to retiring, which means there's no pressure on any young QB they bring in to groom and be in an Aaron Rodgers situation in 4-5 years.

-The NFL might not have a season next year, so of all the positions to draft, QB is the best (WR is probably #2) if there's not going to be a season because he'd be sitting anyway, and can still be developed.

-They can take a guy like Cam Newton, who can add a lot of different looks to the current offense while he develops as a passer.

This is somewhat like the Tebow argument last year except Cam Newton, Jake Locker, or Ryan Mallet is simply better in every way. Colin Kaepernick could be a good pick in the 2nd or 3rd, too.

Jvig43
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I was more open to the Tebow idea last year simply because you knew that he had the work ethic and was ok with sitting for a few years before starting. Idk about Newton, he's playing great but I look at his O-line and its pretty impressive, he gets a lot of time to make up his mind. No thank you for Mallet, and I havent watched a ton of Locker so idk but I'd say were better off getting a position of need now. Although the NFL is saying to be prepared for a lock out, it's looking pretty likely. Heres hoping we finish this season well if thats the case.

ElectricEye
12-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't want anything to do with Cam Newton, and I doubt we do either. Not our type of player from a character standpoint. Don't like Mallet and his off the field issues/system stuff either.

Watching Crick closely tonight.

descendency
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Newton will be a top 5 pick, so NE won't have to worry about him.

He's way too talented to not be drafted high, even if there will be a massive learning curve for him.

nepg
12-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Not just talking about Newton. One of those 4 guys is likely to slip to the Pats' pick.

Nalej
12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Eh, for the same reason, I think opposite.
Tom Brady is 33, every pick used should be with the idea that it will help at a championship run
I believe Brady has a good 4 years left in him. So maybe in 2013, we'll draft a QB ala Rodgers

ElectricEye
12-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Quarterbacks can play well into their late 30's with the current set of rules in place. We have Brady locked up for long enough that we don't have to worry quite yet. Maybe in a few years. No reason to expect any decline from Brady yet, right in his quarterback prime.

Crick impressed the hell out of me last night. Perfect body for a 3-4 DE. Plays tall at DT, but that translates well to playing well at DE in a 3-4. His arms are very long, uses them well, quick enough to set the edge. Only concern is he is not very strong at this point. Does not hold the point of attack well and that's a major worry for me. Can be pushed back. Is that a product of playing in a phone booth and trying to get interior leverage to penetrate the backfield? Maybe. Could be better playing end, but he still needs to get stronger for sure.

descendency
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I think we are a better off taking an elite pass rusher when one falls to us like Robert Quinn. If Quinn is available, I'd take him. You just don't get measurables like that very often.

I wouldn't object to Ryan Kerrigan or Justin Houston. Or Marcel Dareus, though I think he won't meet Belichick's desired measurables for DE.

And if you don't think Dareus could be available, that's fine. I don't really either at this point, but we will probably be top 8 or so. I think we could get into the top 6 if a lot of things go our way.

ElectricEye
12-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I would rate Crick ahead of Daerus in our system. Daerus is very strong, but doesn't have the right body type we like for a DE. Look at our draft history, all tall guys with length.

Agree about Quinn and Kerrigan, but I hope we can find a way to get both a DE and an OLB. Receiver would be good too.

ElectricEye
12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Ijalana looks like a freaking baller. We have program ties and a potential need at G/RT. Would love to have him here.

RaiderNation
12-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Other than Kerrigan, what pass rushers fit your guys scheme? Von Miller? Justin Houston? Aldon Smith? Akeem Ayers?

proshoota25
12-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Miller is a situational pass rusher in our defense and wouldnt warrant a first round selection, according to patriot reasoning. remember, last year BB said he drafted mccourty because he could play 4 downs. why would he pick miller who would only play 1 or 2 downs a series? Me and ROP are starting to get high on Ayers, we believe he would be tremendous in our system. Houston is def. a possibility as well

Razor
12-14-2010, 03:12 AM
Yeah, Ayers seems like a good fit as well. I have some issues with him though, I'm not sure that he'll be able to consistently pressure the QB. Houston and Aldon Smith should be considered as well. Houston for obvious reasons, Smith because of his physical tools. He should be able to get stronger and learn how to set the edge if we draft him. If he does that I could see him being a McGinnest-like player.

descendency
12-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Ayers is a great fit for any team that doesn't want to play football. He's one of the softest linebackers I've ever seen. If he succeeds in the NFL, I will eat my words.

I wouldn't touch Von Miller, Akeem Ayers, or DaQuan Bowers (though Bowers most natural position maybe 34 DE, in spite of what lots of people say)

ElectricEye
12-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Other than Kerrigan, what pass rushers fit your guys scheme? Von Miller? Justin Houston? Aldon Smith? Akeem Ayers?

Think out of those guys, Aldon Smith and Justin Houston fit the bill best, Houston being the better of the two for us at this point because he's already a good linebacker. His height will be a big point of interest for us though. If he measures out below 6'3...look out. Sounds silly, but we've shown it time and time again we don't like guys who are short in our scheme.

Ayers is a good fit schematically, but there's some red flags about him as a player as descendency mentioned.

RaiderNation
12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys for the answers! Still got one more question though...

If Kerrigan and Dareus are on the board who do you guys pick? Dareus seems to have more value right now but does he fit? Is OLB or DE a bigger need?

ElectricEye
12-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys for the answers! Still got one more question though...

If Kerrigan and Dareus are on the board who do you guys pick? Dareus seems to have more value right now but does he fit? Is OLB or DE a bigger need?
That's tough to say. I've soured on Dareus a lot personally. Doesn't give us what we like in a 3-4 DE, so I would like Kerrigan.

proshoota25
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
i think it honestly depends on how the board plays out..... and whether there would still be talent that fits for us around with the 2nd 1st round

Razor
12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd say that we'd go Kerrigan. OLB is a much bigger need and I'm not sure Dareus is what BB is looking for at DE.

ElectricEye
12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Taking the courtesy inch off Dareus, you have to wonder if a 6'3 310 pound guy really fits the bill in terms of what BB wants.

Don Vito
12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Dareus hardly fits the prototype for what we look for in 3-4 ends, but he is a stud. Freakish talent with experience in the 3-4, the height could be an issue but I do think he is a better fit for the one-gap 3-4's. I do think he could play in our defense though, it just may not be his best fit. Heyward is the best fit for a 3-4 end in our defense out of this class, would love to get him here.

ElectricEye
12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
JJ Watt is my guy for the 3-4 DE. There's concerns about him translating as he plays 4-3 DE right now, but it's really not all that hard to see for me. He's strong enough at the point of attack and has the ideal body for it. Willing to get he has some of the longer arms in the draft. Plays a bit tall, but that actually plays pretty well into controlling two gaps.

Don Vito
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I think Watt is a 4-3 guy personally. Could he play in a 3-4? Probably, but I don't think it is a great fit. My guys right now are Heyward and Crick, they both have everything we look for at end in our defense if you ask me.

ElectricEye
12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Crick is another guy I really like. Gun to my head, I'm picking him at this point. I came away extremely impressed with him after the Oklahoma game. Again, a guy with extremely long arms and height, which is important for us. Only concern with him is that he really gets pushed back at times. He's going to have to get stronger and add some weight to play for us.

proshoota25
12-15-2010, 10:50 PM
i think dareous will be a stud at the next level. i think heyward/crick would be the best fits. id love dareous on our team though, he would have a crazy impact.

Nalej
12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I like Dareus bc he could stay on the field in our base D (not his best fit) and our nickel sub packages.
It's in the sub packages I think he would BEAST! He'd take M.Wright's spot as a pass rusher from the DLine. That would be amazing.

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I just feel like Dareus is made for a Wade Phillips 3-4 as opposed to the BB version of it.

Don Vito
12-16-2010, 10:26 AM
No doubt that is his best fit, and honestly I think Heyward would be a better player here, but it would be hard to pass on a talent like Dareus especially when you consider the position is a need and the BB-Saban ties.

Nalej
12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
You guys don't think Dareus would beast in the M.Wright role in our D?

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 08:13 PM
You guys don't think Dareus would beast in the M.Wright role in our D?

I do, but we have a perfectly competent Mike Wright and I wouldn't spend a 1st rounder on a situational player.

Nalej
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Well, I think he would be a major upgrade. Like you said, he's competent. I believe Dareus would BEAST. To go along with how much we play our subpackages, he'd essentially be like a starter.
He can play in that role as he learns slowly how to play in our base D.
Instant upgrade... I hate to simply rely on Wright too bc when he got injured this year, our pas rush suffered terribly

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 09:47 PM
OLB, DE, CB, T, G, C, WR

Positions I would take over a UT/Penetrator in the first/second round.

Nalej
12-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I agree on OLB/OL. I'm okay with taking Dareus only bc he'll play UT/Penetrator and then will be groomed as a starting DE
So he fits that bill.

Again, this is only bc we have so many picks. If BB thinks that he can grab an OLB and some OL help with the next three picks... I'm all for Dareus

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 10:04 PM
I just can't see us going for Dareus. He's an electric talent for such a big guy, but he's the exact opposite in what we look for in a DE. Relatively short arms, squat build, not good at holding his ground and eating space. I suppose it boils down to the fact I just don't think he'll ever be a starter in a BB 3-4, at least not an effective one. In a 1 Gap 3-4, he's a top ten pick, but I just don't see the value in taking a part time player with the type of draft pick it will require to take him. Especially with the positions we need to upgrade on offensive and our defensive needs.

nepg
12-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I disagree with your assessment of Dareus. Sure, he's a couple inches shorter than what they prefer, but he does an amazing job holding blocks and containing plays. Just watch the Auburn game. They put him in charge of spying Cam Newton, and he single-handedly did a better job at keeping Cam Newton in check than any entire team this season. Dareus can do anything and everything in this defense. He does what he's asked to do. He can be a dominant 3-4 DE, and has the stockiness to do a lot of things at NT as well. He reminds me of Haloti Ngata. Incredibly athletic DL who can do everything.

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 10:22 PM
We'll see. I know there's a lot of varying opinions on him and I have personally gone up and down on him a lot. I think at this juncture of the process I would prefer Crick, Watt, Heyward, or Jordan at this point just because I feel like they're safer system wise.