PDA

View Full Version : Second Chance QB

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Each of these guys seems to have fallen out of favor with their current team, and will likely be available by at least next offseason, if they aren't cut or traded prior to this season.

So which of these guys do you think is most likely to make something out of their second opportunity, wherever that may be, and why?

--------------------------------
This is for something else:

http://i.imgur.com/CmuBM.jpg

wicket
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
brady quinn ;)

Grizzlegom
08-27-2010, 03:27 PM
i voted leinart because i think he needs a system that fits his strengths and I don't think he's been destroyed physically like <insert captain checkdown here>

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 03:28 PM
brady quinn ;)

He was left off since he's already on his 2nd chance.....and he certainly isn't make the most of it, lol

CC.SD
08-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh I see David Carr and Vince Young aren't on the list this year.

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh I see David Carr and Vince Young aren't on the list this year.

Carr is on chance 3 or 4 I'm pretty sure and Young has gotten his 2nd chance with the same team that gave him his first one.

wicket
08-27-2010, 03:30 PM
He was left off since he's already on his 2nd chance.....and he certainly isn't make the most of it, lol

however his first chance wasnt much of a chance, hes been looking impressively terrible this year though

CC.SD
08-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Carr is on chance 3 or 4 I'm pretty sure and Young has gotten his 2nd chance with the same team that gave him his first one.

I think Carr is out of chances but I still mourn his presence in this annual discussion.

Vince is off for literally the opposite reason, I think he is now a TN fixture.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Donovann McNabb!!!!

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I think Carr is out of chances but I still mourn his presence in this annual discussion.

Vince is off for literally the opposite reason, I think he is now a TN fixture.

Vince is going to be the bane of fantasy football fans everywhere...he just wins but god damn is it ugly sometimes. He looked good on the one preseason game I saw of his though. It was against the Cardinals.....so, I don't know how much you can take from it.....

A Perfect Score
08-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I was a big believer in Trent Edwards early in his career, so Ill vote for him.

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
If he isn't already, I think Edwards is going to be broken in the same way David Carr was by the end of this season.

SuperMcGee
08-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I begrudgingly vote for Trent Edwards.

I could probably say Leinart just as easily. Or uneasily.

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm a little surprised in the lack of Jackson love...I was actually kind of expecting him to win since he seems to have been the least awful in his playing time.

MetSox17
08-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Jamarcus Russell!

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Jamarcus Russell!

No. Ten char.

abaddon41_80
08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Jackson would be my vote but I am not sure I believe in any of them.

Splat
08-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I am not sure I believe in any of them.

This is my vote.

tjsunstein
08-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't think any of them will amount to a serviceable starter.

Splat
08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
If you put a gun to my head I guess I would go Trent Edwards but still blah.

RaiderNation
08-27-2010, 04:25 PM
JaMarcus Russell....

Lol no Id probably go with Leinart

Michigan
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
If I have to win one game with any of these QB's, I'd easily take Tavaris Jackson. He's had some decent years and won't try to do more than he's capable of. I like how he's exhibited a team-first mindset through all of the Favre stuff.

BeerBaron
08-27-2010, 04:41 PM
If I have to win one game with any of these QB's, I'd easily take Tavaris Jackson. He's had some decent years and won't try to do more than he's capable of. I like how he's exhibited a team-first mindset through all of the Favre stuff.

I thought that too about Jackson but when I was looking up stats before this poll, he actually hasn't been that good....the only year he threw more TDs than INTs was in 2008 when he only started 5 games.

TitanHope
08-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I won't vote for Leinart because his standards are much higher than Edwards, Jackson, or Clemons. By that I mean, if all 4 guys had equal success in contrast to one another, Leinart would be considered the biggest disappointment of the group. If he has a second stint, then he's not going to be looked at positively considering his college prestige, draft placement, and him taking the reins of a playoff team and still not being able to succeed.

So that leads me to Edwards, TJax, and Clemons. I don't think Clemons will amount to much. He hasn't done anything in the NFL, and the Jets pretty much did everything they could to get a different QB when he was waiting in the wings (trading for Favre, trading up for Sanchez). So pass on him.

I'll take Edwards over Jackson. I don't think any of these guys will start anywhere else assuming they fail on their current teams. But I think Edwards can carve out a great niche as a backup who can occasionally start and perform. So far, he's had injury issues and has played on a bad team. But if you take him and put him on a talented team with an OL that can give him time,then I definitely think he improves into a borderline starting quality QB or better, assuming he stays healthy. We've seen what TJax can do on a stacked team. I think Edwards would out-perform him in the same situation.

Shiver
08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I vote David Carr...

prock
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Tavaris Jackson ******* sucks. Don't vote for him.

Hurricanes25
08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I still want to see Clemons get a fair shot at a starting job. Everytime he has started for the Jets, either the team was terrible and had nothing around him or like last year when they told him to not lose the game.

Rosebud
08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I hope its Trent because I thought very highly of him until his consussion that scared his ass. Of that foursome I'm going with TJ, he's looked pretty decent and he's shown he won't be broken and will continue to fight for victory in the face of failure, something I don't see from Leinart or Clemons and something Trent has lost.

steelersfan43
08-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Tavaris Jackson. The kids got heart. Miles and miles of heart.

CC.SD
08-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Tavaris Jackson. The kids got heart. Miles and miles of heart.

I thought that was Shiancoe

steelersfan43
08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I thought that was Shiancoe

Great football player. He'd be All Pro if he hadn't been born deaf.

yo123
08-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Tarvaris Jackson should not be winning this poll. His football IQ is one of the worst I've ever seen from a quarterback. They're all pretty awful and I wouldn't bet on any of them ever being worth anything but I suppose Leinart sucks the least and he has the second best WR in the league to throw to.

J-Mike88
08-28-2010, 07:38 AM
brady quinn ;)
That's what I was thinking too.
I'll go with Leinart.
I thought he had some moments as a rookie.... just needs the confidence, a break, and a big win. Afterall, he kept David Booty on the bench at USC and Booty kept the model Mark Sanchez on the bench.

7DnBrnc53
08-29-2010, 03:14 PM
I nominate Jason Campbell.

Kyle Orton is doing a good job with his second chance as well, although he will be a stopgap starter somewhere else by 2012.

nepg
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Yarr, second the Jason Campbell.

BeerBaron
08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I nominate Jason Campbell.

Kyle Orton is doing a good job with his second chance as well, although he will be a stopgap starter somewhere else by 2012.

Yarr, second the Jason Campbell.

Neither of these guys were real awful in their first chance, and both are still the (fairly) unquestioned starters on their current team. So I left them off.

BlindSite
08-30-2010, 03:15 AM
I think Leinart will come on and start this year, he had a decent game, though in relief in the last pre-season game and I like what he brings to the table. He'd be a better fit in a short passing system though.

Ness
08-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Jackson seems to have really improved over the last two years. Although it's mostly been limited action. I'd like to see him actually play a good amount again.

SenorGato
08-31-2010, 02:21 AM
http://gothamist.com/attachments/tien/2007_11_jetsclemens.jpg

He was the winning QB in all 4 of the '07 season, and his 4-5 record in that season was as much a reflection on the team as it was on him. He can do the job as a starter, but if not he's a really good backup. A pro's pro which has to be a plus...

BuddyCHRIST
08-31-2010, 03:47 AM
Really don't like any of them, but Tavaris has shown some ability. Especially considering how raw he was coming out, if Childress wasn't stupid and hadn't drafted him in the 2nd and then played him early, he wouldn't get near the criticism. He's been better than I expected coming out.

FUNBUNCHER
08-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Not to jack this thread, but what is it that Whisenhunt has against Leinart?

I agree with Leinart that on some personal level, he just doesn't like him that much, and it has nothing to do with his playing ability.

A good HC would let Leinart start the season, and if he poops himself, bring in Derek Anderson.

It's like Whisenhunt is thinking, 'anybody but Leinart'. And is it true Whisenhunt had issues with Roesthlisberger in Pittsburgh??

I still think Leinart resurfaces as a starter again in the league. He hasn't really failed, he's never been given much of a chance to improve, IMO.