PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Bryant Cut

Bengals78
08-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Adam_Schefter

Money for nothing: Before cutting him, Bengals gave Antonio Bryant a four-year, $28 million contract with just under $8 million guaranteed.

Chucky
08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Gotta guess he is gonna go either the Vikes or Rams at this point. Although I'm not sure how good of an influence he would be on Bradford

Bengals78
08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I doubt he signs until his knee is better.

Hines
08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
At least he got paid.

Bengals78
08-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Joe Reedy had it listed as around 7 million.

abaddon41_80
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
How bad is his injury? I thought that Ochocinco, Owens, Bryant, and Gresham was gonna give the Bengals a pretty good passing offense.

Bengals78
08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Bad enough we didnt even IR him for next season

Bucs_Rule
08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't expect he'll be on another team until next season. Might get signed in second half if injury bug hits.

LonghornsLegend
08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
WTF, don't teams work out players, or make them go through physicals? It's almost like they called him up and decided to sign him off of his past 2 seasons without even doing their homework. It's bad enough they signed him over Bryant.

I mean, he was given a free 7 million dollars for literally nothing. It's not like he got hurt after the contract. Must be nice. 7 million dollars for sitting on your ass. Baffles me that you could be so stupid to sign a player who wasn't even close to being cleared for physical activities.

themaninblack
08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Still stunned by this.

Pat Sims 90
08-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Still stunned by this.

I am not this is just another bad move by Mike Brown by signing him in the first place when they should have just signed TO in the 1st place over Bryant.

tjsunstein
08-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Could see him joining St. Louis when he's healed if a contender doesn't get hit by an injury.

FuzzyGopher
08-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I would imagine that his knee is in pretty rough shape if they would eat 7 million dollars just to get rid of him. I doubt he plays this year at all. Mike Brown is really cheap so if they chose not place him on IR or trade him or something his knee must be really bad.

V.I.P
08-29-2010, 03:54 PM
And to think i was mad when we didn't resign him. Good job Mark Dominik!

Rabscuttle
08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
$7 or 8 million for a few months of not working isn't half bad. Kind of a nice friendly kick in the nuts for us working slobs to take to work with us Monday morning.

nepg
08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
How bad is his injury? I thought that Ochocinco, Owens, Bryant, and Gresham was gonna give the Bengals a pretty good passing offense.

Ocho, Owens, Shipleyzz, Caldwell, and Gresham is what is was going to be. I don't think they signed Owens until after the Bryant injury, so I don't think Bryant was ever going to be a part of it.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2010, 06:06 PM
I knew I shouldnt have drafted him. The guy cant even walk without limping.

descendency
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM
*wonders how the Bengals haven't imploded yet*

Bengals78
08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
*wonders how the Bengals haven't imploded yet*

Because AB got cut?

descendency
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Because AB got cut?

Nah. From Mike Brown.

LonghornsLegend
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Bryant, or TO wasn't a real good fit for the slot role. Shipley is better then all of them in the slot and I think they wanted him to see the field alot more. While a healthy Bryant really is a beast, none of those top 3 WR's seems ideal to play in the slot. Ocho would probably be the best at it. TO can do it but there is only so many routes he can run from there.

J-Mike88
08-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't think the Bengals would have come close to giving that lottery ticket to Bryant if this was a regular season with a salary cap.

Bryant seems like the kind of guy who will happily take is $7 or $8 million and do nothing, just eat and smoke weed every day without worries about being tested now that he's not on a roster.

tjsunstein
08-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't think the Bengals would have come close to giving that lottery ticket to Bryant if this was a regular season with a salary cap.

Bryant seems like the kind of guy who will happily take is $7 or $8 million and do nothing, just eat and smoke weed every day without worries about being tested now that he's not on a roster.
He'll be back in the league or we'll hear about his financial troubles in 3 years.

NotRickJames
08-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Good for him. The Bengals were overcrowded at receiver and there was no room for him.

He could help out a lot of teams, but he's not a guy you want to be the mantle of your receiving corps due to major injury concerns, not to mention attitude issues.

I'd rather trade for VJ before I'd sign this guy, though.

BlindSite
08-30-2010, 03:12 AM
I think he's just the odd man out more than anything else, he'll catch on somewhere, best chance is probably St Louis who literally do not have anyone at wide receiver healthy who's actually seen starting time.

ThePudge
08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I think this move probably helps out the Bengals on the field & in the locker room. They were, indeed, overcrowded at the wide receiver position. With Chad & T.O.'s contracts expiring after this season, I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't a little worried for the future.

WR1 - Chad
WR2 - T.O.
Slot - Jordan Shipley
TE - Jermaine Gresham

vs.

WR1 - Chad
WR2 - Laverneus Coles
Slot - Andre Caldwell
TE - J.P. Foschi

...Beautiful. Our number 5/6 (Matt Jones/Quan Cosby) are likely better than our #2 guy a year ago. Though demoted, Andre Caldwell has been the talk of camp, mentioned as the team's most improved player. Hopefully Antonio can land on his feet.

bigbluedefense
08-30-2010, 10:04 AM
The Bengals gamble a lot.

They gambled on Michael Johnson. It paid off. They gambled on Rey Rey, it paid off. They gambled on Andre Smith, and so far that's not working, Bryant didn't work, etc.

They hit some, they miss some. I think the past 2 drafts by them have been great though.

NGSeiler
08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
How bad is his injury?

One NFL medical person -- don't want to be too specific -- told me Sunday that the injury that is apparently plaguing fired Cincinnati wideout Antonio Bryant could be Chondral Defect of the knee. "If you're not looking for it, you won't find it,'' this official said. "It's a long-term knee problem that won't go away.'' The ailment refers to a complicated cartilage injury to the knee. Whether that's the exact injury plaguing Bryant or not, it's incredible that a team investigating a free-agent wide receiver who missed most of 2009 with a knee problem would have passed him on the physical this year, handed him a four-year, $28 million contract, and then watched as he practiced one time all summer in training camp before cutting him Sunday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/29/mmqb/2.html

ThePudge
08-30-2010, 11:32 AM
The Bengals gamble a lot.

They gambled on Michael Johnson. It paid off. They gambled on Rey Rey, it paid off. They gambled on Andre Smith, and so far that's not working, Bryant didn't work, etc.

They hit some, they miss some. I think the past 2 drafts by them have been great though.

Mike Brown likes to throw a lot of those guys in place & has a ton of faith in Marvin Lewis. They gamble a lot, yes, but it has them getting bargains left and right. T.O. for 2 mil, Pac-Man for small money, Bernard Scott in the 6th Round, Rey in the 2nd, Andre at 6th Overall (many thought he was a Top 3 player). There will obviously be times where it doesn't work out, but right now with a winning program it's pretty easy to get a lot of these guys to buy in. Cincy is a land of opportunity for some & they wind up showing some loyalty/behaving once they've been given that opportunity. Wins will keep this franchise together.

tjsunstein
08-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I think this move probably helps out the Bengals on the field & in the locker room. They were, indeed, overcrowded at the wide receiver position. With Chad & T.O.'s contracts expiring after this season, I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't a little worried for the future.

WR1 - Chad
WR2 - T.O.
Slot - Jordan Shipley
TE - Jermaine Gresham

vs.

WR1 - Chad
WR2 - Laverneus Coles
Slot - Andre Caldwell
TE - J.P. Foschi

...Beautiful. Our number 5/6 (Matt Jones/Quan Cosby) are likely better than our #2 guy a year ago. Though demoted, Andre Caldwell has been the talk of camp, mentioned as the team's most improved player. Hopefully Antonio can land on his feet.
Depending on how this season goes, I think Chad will stay and T.O. will likely follow suit giving another year for you guys to bring in a #1 or #2. Shipley is the perfect slot guy and might be able to excel at the 2 but a true number 1 is needed. Depth isn't a concern, it's the top of the depth chart recievers that the Bengals are in need of. With Chad playing like he has for the last couple of years, I think he has atleast 3 solid playing years left. This season makes or breaks T.O.'s future, however.