PDA

View Full Version : Sackmaster: Who will lead the NFL in Sacks this season?

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
With the 2009 champ Elvis Dumervil done for the season before it even got started, we will have a new champ in 2010.

I can't remember who led in 2008, I think it was DeMarcus Ware over James Harrison.

Who will the king be in 2010?

I just want to say this: Almost half of Jared Allen's 14 sacks last year came against the Packers and their backup OT's.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Terrell Suggs!!!!

Razor
08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
I think DeMarcus Ware has to be the favourite. Dallas' offense will put up a lot of points which will force their opponents to throw the ball. It's the same principle as with the 2007 Patriots, where the offense made the defense look elite.

K Train
08-31-2010, 11:22 AM
i really like peppers in chicagos d.

but im going homer with woodley in a contract year, since it would obviously happen this year of all years so the steelers wouldnt be able to afford to resign him and break my heart

wonderbredd24
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll take DeMarcus Ware on his obscene talent, but also on the matchups.

The Philadelphia Eagles' offensive line is a sieve and Washington's line is going to take time.

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Damn, you guys were quicker than I could enter all those names.
Sorry, ran out of room for Suggs as I had to leave *Other in there, and Suggs was nowhere to be seen looking at last year's top 40, and was behind at least 2 other guys on the Ravens.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG

TRIVIA:
All the top 40 guys in sacks last year were either OLBs or DEs, except 3 guys.
Name those 3 guys, without looking at the list/link.
One is somewhat easy from Dallas.
Another is not a shock, from Pittsburgh.
But the other? Good luck. He's in the NFCS.

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
but im going homer with woodley in a contract year, since it would obviously happen this year of all years so the steelers wouldnt be able to afford to resign him and break my heart
LOL, perfect logic. I can see that.

08-31-2010, 11:27 AM
No Peppers? High-profile free agent signings are never supposed to turn out so rosy, especially early into the contract, but I've got a funny feeling that he's going to explode and do so in a BIG way with 15+ total, which should be enough to take the title this season.

K Train
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Damn, you guys were quicker than I could enter all those names.
Sorry, ran out of room for Suggs as I had to leave *Other in there, and Suggs was nowhere to be seen looking at last year's top 40, and was behind at least 2 other guys on the Ravens.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG

TRIVIA:
All the top 40 guys in sacks last year were either OLBs or DEs, except 3 guys.
Name those 3 guys, without looking at the list/link.
One is somewhat easy from Dallas.
Another is not a shock, from Pittsburgh.
But the other? Good luck. He's in the NFCS.
ratliff, timmons and.....idk lol

LizardState
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
I think DeMarcus Ware has to be the favourite. Dallas' offense will put up a lot of points which will force their opponents to throw the ball. It's the same principle as with the 2007 Patriots, where the offense made the defense look elite.

Chk. to the raiser like they say in poker, love your comment& the reasoning behind it.

Ware has the stats, tied the regular season sack rcd. 2 yrs. ago. When he was a rookie he got the trifecta in a preseason game & was called the Warewolf by local media: sack, fumble recovery & an INT, one of the worst QBs' & OTs' nightmares in an NFL uni.

He's leading the voting now but it's still very early.....

thenewfeature06
08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Terrell Suggs!!!!

This is possible, he has looked extremely good so far and pretty fast after his nagging injuries he should at least be an option I can see 10 sacks at least.

I voted Ware though.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
I say Suggs because he had a ****** year last year and all off-season he has been working on getting back to a pass-rusher. He has something to prove.

wonderbredd24
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
I say Suggs because he had a ****** year last year and all off-season he has been working on getting back to a pass-rusher. He has something to prove.

I don't pick Suggs, because out of all of the guys listed, he probably rushes the passer the least because he is so good in coverage and the way that defense works, they vary up the pressure so much.

This is by no means a dig at Suggs... it's the opposite. He's so good that they use him in so many ways and his sack numbers are hurt as a result.

Jvig43
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM

The pre season would disagree with this statement.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Orakpo had 11 sacks last year as a rookie LB in a hybrid 43 for that matter. With the moving to a more permanent 34 Orakpo has got to pick up a couple more sacks and at least be in that 12-15 sack range. He's been looking great in the preseason although for some reason the refs aren't making calls when OT's are dragging his shirt to the ground. He blew by Michael Oher and D'brick on several occasions causing them to grab him only sometimes being called. Kemo, Fat Albert, and Carriker will definitely let him run free.

Splat
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM
I just want to say this: Almost half of Jared Allen's 14 sacks last year came against the Packers and their backup OT's.

I just want to say this: Jared Allen had 15 sacks with the Chiefs with nothing what so ever next to him.

K Train
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM
i like orakpo alot this year, i got him in an IDP league.

i also think michael johnson is a sleeper to blow up in sack totals

wonderbredd24
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Orakpo had 11 sacks last year as a rookie LB in a hybrid 43 for that matter. With the moving to a more permanent 34 Orakpo has got to pick up a couple more sacks and at least be in that 12-15 sack range. He's been looking great in the preseason although for some reason the refs aren't making calls when OT's are dragging his shirt to the ground. He blew by Michael Oher and D'brick on several occasions causing them to grab him only sometimes being called. Kemo, Fat Albert, and Carriker will definitely let him run free.

Just keep in mind 4 of those came from the charity known as the Raiders

08-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Just keep in mind 4 of those came from the charity known as the Raiders

Specifically, Mario "Lazy Feet" Henderson.

Razor
08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
The pre season would disagree with this statement.

New Orleans put up 16.2 ppg last pre season. (just found out that those were the 2007 numbers, dunno why... But the following is still true!) Just saying.. Pre season is worthless.

EDIT:

^^I agree with the above statement.

vidae
08-31-2010, 11:57 AM
No Tamba Hali option?!

Seriously though, I picked Jared Allen. Dude is a beast.

P-L
08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
There is going to be co-champs this season: LaMarr Woodley and Brandon Graham.

Vikes99ej
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
I said Allen, but I think Greg Hardy and Michael Johnson are two young players to pay attention to.

bantx
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Shawne Merriman with a comeback season!!!!!!1

prock
08-31-2010, 12:05 PM
With the 2009 champ Elvis Dumervil done for the season before it even got started, we will have a new champ in 2010.

I can't remember who led in 2008, I think it was DeMarcus Ware over James Harrison.

Allen will lead the league and he will get another 7 against the Packers and there ****** tackles!

Don Vito
08-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I said Allen, but I think Greg Hardy and Michael Johnson are two young players to pay attention to.

I love you. I voted Ware but I feel in my heart that it will be Greg Hardy.

BuddyCHRIST
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
I went with Woodley, I don't know why. But I'm sticking with it.

P-L
08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
I really think that if Mario Williams is actually healthy (I know, I know) then he's going to finish towards the top of the leaderboard.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
3-4: Woodley
4-3: Allen

LonghornsLegend
08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
I really don't think Ware leads the league in sacks, Anthony Spencer should cut into that total and they may be racing to see who gets to the QB first. Not that Ware's total won't be high again, but not league leading. Typically he's been consistently the only guy getting sacks until the last 8 games of last year when I believe Spencer had more sacks then him(don't hold me to that because I'm not looking, but they were at least tied).

I also don't see the point in mentioning Suggs, has he ever gotten more then 12 sacks a season? I don't even think he's gotten double digit sacks that many times, great player but not league leader.

I'm just gonna go with Woodley, Harrison is still a monster but Woodley is getting better and playing for a big pay day.

brat316
08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Terrell Suggs!!!!

How come no one is making noise about Suggs doing nothing with that big ass contract he signed?

McBain
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Orakpo. 3-4 suits him perfect.

bigbluedefense
08-31-2010, 01:43 PM

Is Hardy tearing it up that bad?

You know I loved him at one point in time, and in the 6th round, I felt he was an absolute steal.

katnip
08-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Went with the 2nd year guy. Brian Orakpo.

Smooth Criminal
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
I'd love it to be Woodley, but I doubt any Steeler will lead the league in sacks while they have a ton of great pass rushers.

I think Peppers will have a great year in Chicago. Or Jared allen.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Is Hardy tearing it up that bad?

You know I loved him at one point in time, and in the 6th round, I felt he was an absolute steal.

Hardy looks great and was a huge steal. He'll probably be among the rookie leaders in sacks (although that's partially because he'll probably be amongst the leaders in snaps too).

Jared Allen is the safe answer. He's the one guy who hasn't shone a propensity towards down years as a pass rusher and he still has a great defensive line around him. He's gotta be the guy.

Homer Answer: Kamerion Wimbley, but only if the Raiders get to play the Bears 16 times this season.

tjsunstein
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd go..

1. Jared Allen
2. Demarcus Ware
3. Brian Orakpo
4. Lamar Woodley
5. Trent Cole
6. Clay Matthews

I tried to not be such a homer when it came to Clay Matthews. Last year was unbelievable and I can see him only getting better. Such a motor.

eaglesalltheway
08-31-2010, 02:11 PM
I voted with Allen, he's the first DE I'd pick If I could have any of them, and he is once again in a good position to rack up sacks. And I don't think it will be too homerish of me to say that Cole will once again be in the top 3-4.

marshallb
08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
I went with Jared Allen. Slightly homer, but also just because he's the safest bet there is.

tjsunstein
08-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Also, the most logical pick. Allen, coming off a season where he was 2nd in sacks, is still in his prime, has his dominant DTs still doing work on the inside, and a passrusher opposite of him.

08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
I really don't think Ware leads the league in sacks, Anthony Spencer should cut into that total and they may be racing to see who gets to the QB first. Not that Ware's total won't be high again, but not league leading. Typically he's been consistently the only guy getting sacks until the last 8 games of last year when I believe Spencer had more sacks then him(don't hold me to that because I'm not looking, but they were at least tied).

So I quickly looked it up and found that you were in fact correct, as they each tallied 6 sacks during the second half of the season.

GhostDeini
08-31-2010, 03:28 PM
SMH@ Mario Williams being mentioned only once.

This'll be his DPOY season...

Bengals78
08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
I voted other for Geno Atkins....
I think it will be Ware or Allen

Hurricanes25
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Orakpo. 3-4 suits him perfect.

I'm going with Orakpo as well. He was playing out of position last year and still managed to put up double digit sacks. The 3-4 sould come much more natural to him and I expect 14+ sacks for him this year.

CC.SD
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Clay Matthews' World Domination Tour Begins NAOW

Teams are going to be passing a lot against GB

Timbathia
08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
How has no-one mentioned Robert Ayers yet?

Draft King
08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Biermannnnnnnnnnnn

niel89
08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
I went with Freeney. He is a top pass rush talent and only had 4 games without registering a sack (Allen-8, Ware-9, Dumervil-7,). If Freeney had one of those 3+ sack games against a weak opponents, he would be up there too.

I do like Woodley or Ware though.

TitansCJftw
08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Homer Answer: Kamerion Wimbley

i thought that as my sleeper when i saw this thread haha :S

SFbear
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Jared Allen gets two games against Chris Williams in a Mike "I love 7 step drops" Martz offense. He might get 10 sacks in those two games alone.

Brent
08-31-2010, 07:22 PM
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/01-January/010310-stl-gallery/14-brooks--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

;)

Don Vito
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/01-January/010310-stl-gallery/14-brooks--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

;)

I thought Brooks got really hurt, is that not the case?

CC.SD
08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
I thought Brooks got really hurt, is that not the case?

I hope not, he was beasting last year

Sniper
08-31-2010, 07:31 PM
There is going to be co-champs this season: LaMarr Woodley and Brandon Graham.

I want to make sex to your face.

Brent
08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I thought Brooks got really hurt, is that not the case?I hope not, he was beasting last year
lacerated kidney, but from the sound of it, he'll be all right for the season opener.

Splat
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
lacerated kidney, but from the sound of it, he'll be all right for the season opener.

Is that when happens when this guy kicks you in the kidney?

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd295/absinthe_spoons/ch_lassitercopy.png

M.O.T.H.
08-31-2010, 08:07 PM

I also don't see the point in mentioning Suggs, has he ever gotten more then 12 sacks a season? I don't even think he's gotten double digit sacks that many times, great player but not league leader.

I'm just gonna go with Woodley, Harrison is still a monster but Woodley is getting better and playing for a big pay day.

Spencer will just lead the league himself. :D

You bring up a good point, though. Those two have races to the QB, they're bound to be splitting sacks and "stealing" from the other as well.

trkaline
08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Sergio Kindle is going to comeback for the last game of the season...where he will get 25 sacks and snatch Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year..and MVP..............................ok Jared Allen...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
How has no-one mentioned Robert Ayers yet?

Because everyone knows it will be Jarvis Moss.

jsagan77
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Orakpo was a 4-3 OLB last year and situation passrusher and had 11 sacks. He'll be pressuring 3x as much this year so I expect 30-33 sacks... But I'll be happy with 23... =0)

Timbathia
08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Because everyone knows it will be Jarvis Moss.

I have an inkling that we will need to count the Broncos defense as a single player to even be in this race.

hoekd0250
09-01-2010, 12:46 AM
im picking micheal johnson of the bengals looks like he could be a beast in the 43/34 defense they have been playing this year

Brown Leader
09-01-2010, 01:00 AM

Right club, wrong player. Ultimate longshot but anyone seen how improved Everette Brown looks? Manhandled D'Brick and Roos in limted play so far.

GB12
09-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I liked Everette Brown a lot coming out last year. I didn't really see how he looked as a rookie, but I think he can be a good pass rusher in the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
09-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Right club, wrong player. Ultimate longshot but anyone seen how improved Everette Brown looks? Manhandled D'Brick and Roos in limted play so far.

Really? That's good for him. He was super talented at rushing the passer just small and light, that spin move he had was sick as hell but I don't think he had alot more moves. If he gained weight and earned at least a few legit moves to go with that spin he can be a double digit sack guy.

I still don't think he was worth moving up for the Panthers unless he starts pulling in 12 sack seasons back to back, it seemed like a reach, and I did, and still hate his fit in a 4-3. It makes his size much more important, in a 3-4 I feel like he could use his strengths and hide his weaknesses alot better. Felt like he would struggle as a full time DE in a 4-3 because I didn't think he would be able to hold his ground vs the run.

Jakey
09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Woodley, Orakpo, Allen, Freeney or Williams.

One of these players will lead the league.

Woodley might get suspended for piledriving a QB's head into the ground, he looks pissed off this preseason.

killxswitch
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Voted Freeney even though I think realistically Ware has a better shot.

Sniper
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Orakpo was a 4-3 OLB last year and situation passrusher and had 11 sacks. He'll be pressuring 3x as much this year so I expect 30-33 sacks... But I'll be happy with 23... =0)

With the OTs in the NFCE, Orakpo could get 40.

tjsunstein
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
With the OTs in the NFCE, Orakpo could get 40.
Who has worse tackles? The NFC East or NFC North?

09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd expect a Carolina defensive end to be in contention this year (who would've thought?). I could see Brown, Johnson and Hardy as legitimate 10+ sack candidates this season, and it wouldn't surprise me the least bit if they all attained that milestone in the same season.

wonderbredd24
09-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Who has worse tackles? The NFC East or NFC North?

That's like choosing which arm you'd like amputated.

I'll take the North as the worst out of those two

tjsunstein
09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
That's like choosing which arm you'd like amputated.

I'll take the North as the worst out of those two
Personally, I'd amputate my left arm. Natural righty here.

09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
A name to watch out for is Tamba Hali. I came across this through Rotoworld:

Football Outsiders is calling Tamba Hali, "the NFL's next great pass-rusher."
They also go on to compare him to Elvis Dumervil, another player who flourished after converting to the 3-4. Hali represents the Chiefs' only true pass-rusher, but don't be surprised to see him post a double-digit sack total.
Source: Football Outsiders

Splat
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Hali has been in beast mode in camp, he won't lead the league or anything but would not be shocked to see him get 10 or more sacks.

wordofi
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm going to go with Mario Williams. He's in his 5th year, and he's got freakish athleticism for a man his size.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Hali found his way onto my fantasy team each of the last two years. I'm not sure if I want to pick him up again...he's out there.

SenorGato
09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/waregroupcheck.jpg

NIN1984
09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
It will most likely be Allen or Ware but I could see a young guy like Clay Matthews get in the mix.

LizardState
09-06-2010, 01:02 PM
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Pretty much that guy, a QB's worst nightmare.

Jared Allen leading the voting, he & Freeney get more chances than others b/c their offenses score early & force opponents into passing situations more frequently

Rosebud
09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
You know, I think Julius Peppers just might be up there. I think he's just going to go into beast mode for this one season to prove to everyone that he was worth the money the bears gave him and that he wasn't going to just phone it in once he got that money...at least for one year, then I completely expect him to under-achieve for the rest of his Chicago contract before ring-chasing and having one more monster year with whatever that third team is.

703SKINS202
09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I went with Ware, the best OLB in the NFL imho.

SenorGato
09-07-2010, 12:18 AM

That he is.

Any football fan should be excited for NFC East football...even when everyone acknowledges how good they are I think they're underrated. I'd be shocked if the NFC rep for the Super Bowl isn't from the NFC East...unless it's the Eagles, and only because the players are so green.

That he is.

Any football fan should be excited for NFC East football...even when everyone acknowledges how good they are I think they're underrated. I'd be shocked if the NFC rep for the Super Bowl isn't from the NFC East...unless it's the Eagles, and only because the players are so green.

Orakpo, Cole, Osi, Tuck, Spencer, Carter, and Kiwinuka are all candidates to put up double digit sacks.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
You know, I think Julius Peppers just might be up there. I think he's just going to go into beast mode for this one season to prove to everyone that he was worth the money the bears gave him and that he wasn't going to just phone it in once he got that money...at least for one year, then I completely expect him to under-achieve for the rest of his Chicago contract before ring-chasing and having one more monster year with whatever that third team is.

I agree with this. He'll have a monster bounce back year and will proceed to fall off the face of the earth again.

J-Mike88
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
hard to argue that. remember when he and merriman were neck & neck from that class? merriman was the king first.

GoRavens
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
I bet Robert Mathis leads with 15.
Jared Allen - 12
D Ware - 12

datchapin
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Mario Williams. Yesterday had to split 2 sacks on Manning. Got five hits on Manning, after yesterday, I'm convinced he can do it. A healthy Mario. Man.

Rosebud
09-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I agree with this. He'll have a monster bounce back year and will proceed to fall off the face of the earth again.

Got a sack and 2 QB hits this week, he's off to a good start, I was putting up fliers and helping this girl from my film class prove that she can fit into a backpack, so I couldn't catch the game but I heard he played well and his numbers look good.

Jakey
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I really hope its Woodley, but he needs to lose some weight man, he looks about 290lbs :o

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
It could be Clay Matthews. Dude is an animal. He's like a LB version of Troy Polumalu. The guy is just flying all over the place.

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Clay Matthews with two yesterday.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Kiwi! Kiwi! He had 2 as well.

umphrey
09-13-2010, 12:07 PM
CM3!!!!!!

Really I don't know but I doubt it's Freeney, Allen, Ware, Woodley, or Harrison. The first 3 get so much attention now it's tough for them to break out into the #1 spot even though you know they'll have double digits if healthy. They cause more sacks than they get credit for taking attention. Woodley, Harrison, sacks get spread around in Pittsburgh and I don't think either is elite enough to be #1 at this point.

So I would really look to someone like Clay Matthews or Orakpo or Trent Cole. Maybe even Will Smith if people sleep on him a little. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the sack leader is usually relatively young and not exactly a household name in the average NFL house to start his historic season.

Edit: Forgot about Super Mario. He is such a beast and hard/tough player I could see him doing it.

J-Mike88
09-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Mario was awesome yesterday, right out of the chute.
But that Indy OT spot is very troublesome there. Manning is gonna get more hits this year than he has in a long time I believe.

Matthews looks like a beast, and Capers moving him all over the place from the left side to the right side, and even thru the middle, caused a lot of problems for the Eagles OL yesterday. I had heard that the left side of the Philly OL was supposed to be real solid, but they did lose their center I believe.

Orakpo would have had 3 sacks last night if Alex Barron didn't tackle him.

J-Mike88
09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I really hope its Woodley, but he needs to lose some weight man, he looks about 290lbs :o
Adalius Thomas, is that you?

RealityCheck
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Jermaine Cunningham.

I mean, Mario Williams.

J-Mike88
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM
No love whatsoever here for James Harrison?
Has he gone downhill fast or something?
I thought he was still a beast off the edge.
He's a mean man.

K Train
09-13-2010, 04:16 PM
hardly gone down hill....hes a manimal...hes a beast against the run and bulldozes LTs to get to the QB but its gonna be tough to lead the league in sacks the way timmons and woodley play

Addict
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I hate to say this but I think it's gonna be an NFC North guy. Allen or Matthews. Both the Lions and Chicago have O-lines that are exploidable, so that's four games they can get easy sacks. Plus they're just excellent pass-rushers.

Rosebud
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I hate to say this but I think it's gonna be an NFC East guy. Ware, Orakpo, Cole or Tuck/Osi/Kiwi. Both the Eagles and Cowboys have O-lines that are exploidable, so that's four games they can get easy sacks. Plus they're just excellent pass-rushers.

I'll love the symmetry going on there.

Timbathia
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Sleeper alert - Just in case no-one noticed (and you probably didnt), but Robert Ayers had a sack yesterday.

Monomach
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
This poll needs some Julius Peppers.

Addict
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Sleeper alert - Just in case no-one noticed (and you probably didnt), but Robert Ayers had a sack yesterday.

so did Suh.

DoughBoy
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
So did Derrick Morgan.

Addict
09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
So did Derrick Morgan.

I hear my mom got some sack too last sunday.......

wow... TMI.

Timbathia
09-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Admittedly he was going up against a rookie RT in Beadles, but Kampman looked pretty good yesterday (1.5 sacks). Much more at home on the line rather than worrying about dropping into coverage and seems to have recovered from his injury.

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Kampman is still in one of the higher tiers as far as pass rushers go. A casualty of a system change in Green Bay. His value went down with his injury but his motor and love for the game remain unquestioned after yesterday. I'm glad he's showing fans in Jacksonville that he can still get after the QB.

Babylon
09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Whoever gets to go against Alex Barron........ As of now you have to like Julius Peppers, Mario Williams and Clay Matthews.

M.O.T.H.
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Colombo should be back this week. Doesnt mean he'll be any good, either. He hasnt looked good in a while, guy is always banged up now.

Jakey
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
My sleeper pick...Ray Edwards!

Allen = Double teamed...Edwards = Single teamed and good player = Sack leader?

GB12
09-14-2010, 01:04 AM
It could be Clay Matthews. Dude is an animal. He's like a LB version of Troy Polumalu. The guy is just flying all over the place.If the guy we saw on Sunday is the 2010 version of Clay Matthews he is going to tear **** up. I mean he was great as a rookie, but he was downright beastly against the Eagles.

My sleeper pick...Ray Edwards!

Allen = Double teamed...Edwards = Single teamed and good player = Sack leader?
Not a chance. There's not enough sacks to go around. Allen will still lead that team in sacks, and Kevin Williams still gets his up the middle.

thebow305
09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Cameron Wake

tjsunstein
09-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Clay Matthews might not take the sacks title this year but if he continues to improve on Sunday's performance after he said he wasn't 100% then we might be looking at the defensive player of the year.

Grizzlegom
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I voted other so i can be a homer and pick Cameron Wake.

GB12
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Clay Matthews has been credited with another sack from Sunday and now leads the league with 3.

J-Mike88
09-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Cameron Wake
I HEAR a lot about him.
I will watch him more this week at Minnesota and hope he gets a few.

How many did he get of Trent Edwards last week and the terrible Bills OL?

The Vikings OL is suspect too, on the edges, with slow-footed behemoths. Wake should have a chance to get to the geezer.

Morton
09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
I'll be shocked if Clay Matthews doesn't run away with it this year.

He's the next LT.

Crazy_Chris
09-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll be shocked if Clay Matthews doesn't run away with it this year.

He's the next LT.

That is beyond a ridiculous thing to say, I really hope you're not being serious.

Addict
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
That is beyond a ridiculous thing to say, I really hope you're not being serious.

of course he's kidding, Clay doesn't even play RB.

umphrey
09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
CM3 has 5, more like 5 + 1/2 sacks through just over 6 quarters and he hasn't even played the Bears or the Lions yet

09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
of course he's kidding, Clay doesn't even play RB.

Now I can't tell whether this is you trying to be witty lol.

umphrey
09-19-2010, 02:36 PM
#6 for CM3

J-Mike88
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
2 straight hat tricks for matthews to open the season.

next up: jay cutler. how's the bears OL?
it can't be as bad as Buffalo's.

GB12
09-19-2010, 09:21 PM
2 straight hat tricks for matthews to open the season.

next up: jay cutler. how's the bears OL?
it can't be as bad as Buffalo's.

It actually can. And Chris Williams left with an injury today.

J-Mike88
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
It actually can. And Chris Williams left with an injury today.
Come on now. I saw Jamon Meredith out there. On the field. Trying to block Clay.

BRAVEHEART
09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Clay is about to Tear **** up. If he doesn't get injured, I could see him getting a sack a game. Dude is just relentless, always goes hard no matter the circumstances.

ncst8fan83
09-19-2010, 11:43 PM
This pole needs some Julius Peppers.

20 bucks says this is the reason he's a Bear.

wordofi
09-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Clay is about to Tear **** up. If he doesn't get injured, I could see him getting a sack a game. Dude is just relentless, always goes hard no matter the circumstances.

His bloodlines never hurt.

killxswitch
09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
His bloodlines never hurt.

Yeah that Norse god heritage really did the trick huh?

Shiver
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Mario Williams laughs at your crowning of Clay Matthews.

Addict
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Hello, it's-a me, Mario! I'm-a sack-a more quarterbackies than-a you!

BRAVEHEART
09-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Hello, it's-a me, Mario! I'm-a sack-a more quarterbackies than-a you!

Clay isn't laughing.

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/thor-01cover-cmykcrop.jpg

Addict
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
I have to say it's pretty cool he's only in his second year and they're already filming his biopic.

wicket
09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I went full homer and picked will smith

lowlife
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Sackmaster: Shaun Smith (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/21/browns-alex-mack-chiefs-shaun-smith-grabbed-my-genitals/)

J-Mike88
10-28-2010, 01:29 PM

As I said.....
Now, who still hasn't voted yet?

Matthews, Umenyiora, DeMarcus Ware, Orakpo & Shaun Phillips are currently 1-5....Allen is nowhere in sight.

bantx
10-28-2010, 03:27 PM
shaun phillyyy with 7 WSUP

Duffman57
10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
shaun phillyyy with 7 WSUP

Gimme some of that on the pole

Nalej
10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
That's what she said

K Train
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
king claymaker still ruling **** with an iron fist

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Barring injury, the Claymaker is going to smash every NFL QB's head into the turf at least once before he's done.

Dude is a beast.

I wish we could draft Casey Matthews right now too.

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
i like orakpo alot this year, i got him in an IDP league.

Hey, what website tracks that?
I think our free ESPN site doesn't have individual defense. I hate team bullschit defenses.

Where are all the dudes who voted for Jared Allen?
I heard he finally showed up yesterday though. Dammit.

TitleTown088
11-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Wish this was better quality.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6498/thorie.jpg

J-Mike88
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Who is this Marion you speak of?

TitleTown088
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM

There's a sequel to "300" coming out starring Clay Matthews. It's called "One".

Splat
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
My boy Hali is tied for 3rd in the NFL. :)

vidae
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Haha, I lol'd.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Let's go Osi! Damn 3 step drops by opposing Qbs aren't helping in the sack department. Come on! Please take more 5 and 7 step drops please.

J-Mike88
11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Still only one vote for James Harrison?
I thought I saw him get a couple on Palmer last night.....

XxXdragonXxX
11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
It's pretty much a given that it will be either Mathews or Osi. But I feel Chris Clemons deserves a mention here. He's 3 behind Mathews at 7.5.

Pretty good for a guy everyone thought was just afterthought in the Tapp for a 4th rounder trade. I remember most people saying the Seahawks got hosed in the trade. Tapp is barely playing for the Eagles, While Clemons is starting and playing great for the Seahawks.

11-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I miss Chris Clemons. But the guy wanted ridiculous money when he left Oakland for the Iggles.

Sniper
11-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I miss Chris Clemons. But the guy wanted ridiculous money when he left Oakland for the Iggles.

And then he blew big cocks for the Eagles.

XxXdragonXxX
11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
And then he blew big cocks for the Eagles.

I wonder how much of that was just because he wasn't a good fit? He seems to be a perfect fit in the Seahawks defense. There are three 300+ guys playing on the line with him, basically 3-4 personnel in a 4-3 alignment. He's been surprisingly good against the run, probably cause the beef next to him

GB12
11-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm still mad that Osi gained on Matthews because Jon Kitna tripped and he was one of three guys to two hand touch him.

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm still mad that Osi gained on Matthews because Jon Kitna tripped and he was one of three guys to two hand touch him.
Garbage City.

LizardState
11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
The 4-3 or even 3-4 DE is not extinct but is in decline.

The top 5 NFL sack leaders as of 11/27 are all OLBs in 3-4 defenses, & the OLB is the hottest position in pro defenses today, more & more seem to drafted in the early-middle 1st rd. every draft :

Clay Matthews, GB (11.5 sacks)
Cameron Wake, Miami (9.5)
Demarcus Ware, Dallas (9.5)
James Harrison, Steelers (9)
Shaun Phillips, SD Bolts (9)

All have experience, no rookies among the top 5 leaders, I believe the highest sacking rookie is Okrapo from the Skins. Wake is the youngest, a 2nd-yr player from Penn St. Ware is the only sack leader among those listed & tied the League rcd. 2 yrs ago with 20 sacks in a full season.

I think what this means is that offenses can more easily block DEs wth multiple o-linemen, TEs, FBs, or whoever. The OLB advantage is positioning himself off the LOS & being able to move around to the most advantageous, & often best disguised, spot to get to the QB.

Pls. discuss.

Gay Ork Wang
11-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Orakpo is not a rookie.

Jakey
11-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Wake is a 2nd year player, but he is not the youngest...

Wake is 28
Matthews is 24

LizardState
11-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Wake is a 2nd year player, but he is not the youngest...

Wake is 28
Matthews is 24

He's 28 in his 2nd yr? Did he spend a lot of yrs in jr. college or did JoePa grayshirt him for about 3 yrs?

But that's my point, rare is the impact rookie sackmaster, I think OLB Ware was the last one to tear it up in his 1st yr, but he's a once in a decade type player & a total freak of nature when it comes to the pass rush. NFL experience is the big factor here & refining the technique takes at least a yr.

The rookie sack leader as of today's games btw is Suh with 8 & he's a DT.

umphrey
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Wake played Canadian football or something before the NFL.

To get sacks especially in the 3-4 you need to learn how to use your hands, have a relentless motor, and most importantly-gain the trust of your DC so he is willing to use you.

Malaka
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Wake played Canadian football or something before the NFL.

To get sacks especially in the 3-4 you need to learn how to use your hands, have a relentless motor, and most importantly-gain the trust of your DC so he is willing to use you.

This.

Wake was on the practice squad of the Giants I believe, and after he was cut he had a very succesful tenure in the CFL, winning the MVP award or DPOY whatever it is called in the CFL.

Also fun fact about Umenyiora.. he has 8 sacks and 7 forced fumbles, he is arguably the best strip sackers in the NFL. I am glad he's recovered quite well. Now who to re-sign though Osi or Kiwi? I honestly think Kiwi should be kept and Osi traded while his stock his high. Sorry for the Giants drenched post, but curious on the everyone's thought on the Kiwi/Osi situation.

J-Mike88
11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Matthews was contained today. No sacks.
His pace has cooled.
Today was a game I felt he needed to dominate for us to win.
He didn't. We didn't.
Matt Ryan completed his first 14 passes in the 2nd half, until he threw one away intentionally on his last pass to stop the clock and get their game-winning FG in order.

Falcons OL wasn't called for holding a single time somehow. Not once.

Jakey
11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
James Harrison now has 10 sacks and 6 forced fumbles. He seems to be getting more and more pissed off every week (due to penalties)...not a good thing for the LT's and QB's of the league.

And to Malaka, i would personally rather keep Osi, dont really know why :p

Draft King
11-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Jason Pierre-Paul with 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles today. The man is a beast.

703SKINS202
12-13-2010, 03:31 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00515/wake_515086e.jpg

wogitalia
12-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Wake is a pretty awesome story...

Actually the whole top 5 is, especially if you ignore the whole Steroids thing with Matthews!

Wake through the CFL, Matthews as a walk on at USC who worked his ass off to turn himself into an NFL player, Tamba Hali who was a guy people thought would struggle in a 3-4 that has turned himself into a really beastly player, Abraham who has been toiling away in Atlanta with absolutely no hoopla at all but straight beasting who just went past 100 sacks without anyone knowing and of course Harrison, the guy that Goodell wants gone because he is a menace to his beloved QBs who was what thrice cut?

Just got to love it! Also Kudos to Penn St, sackmaster U...

T-RICH49
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Tamba Hali has been a flat out beast for us.shame he has no one opposite him to help

Grizzlegom
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I voted other so i can pick Cameron Wake.

Just sayin...

Also, love that there are two Penn State guys in the top 5 now. About time some of our pass rushers actually stay healthy in the league and do well. If only Aaron Maybin would remember how to play football...

Paranoidmoonduck
12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
But that's my point, rare is the impact rookie sackmaster, I think OLB Ware was the last one to tear it up in his 1st yr, but he's a once in a decade type player & a total freak of nature when it comes to the pass rush. NFL experience is the big factor here & refining the technique takes at least a yr.

Ware didn't even lead rookies in sacks in his first year. That was Merriman. Big rookie sack numbers aren't all that rare, actually. Since the 2000 season, quite a few have gotten to double digits: D.Howard, D.Freeney, J.Peppers, T.Suggs, K.Williams, S.Merriman, M.Anderson, K.Wimbley, B.Orakpo, and C.Matthews.

J-Mike88
12-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Just sayin...

Also, love that there are two Penn State guys in the top 5 now. About time some of our pass rushers actually stay healthy in the league and do well. If only Aaron Maybin would remember how to play football...
Sean Lee ???

Hurricanes25
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Sean Lee ???

He's an ILB, not a pass rusher.

Vox Populi
12-13-2010, 03:06 PM
No one in Canada is surprised Wake is beasting as a pass rusher. Two time defensive player of the year in his only two years up here, rookie of the year and put up 39 sacks.

J255979-11nine
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Sean Lee ???

Tamba and Wake I believe

Gay Ork Wang
12-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Ware didn't even lead rookies in sacks in his first year. That was Merriman. Big rookie sack numbers aren't all that rare, actually. Since the 2000 season, quite a few have gotten to double digits: D.Howard, D.Freeney, J.Peppers, T.Suggs, K.Williams, S.Merriman, M.Anderson, K.Wimbley, B.Orakpo, and C.Matthews.
Oh Mark Anderson. You couldve been so special!

J255979-11nine
12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh Mark Anderson. You couldve been so special!

GOAT caliber talent. I blame Lovie.

Gay Ork Wang
12-13-2010, 03:56 PM
GOAT caliber talent. I blame Lovie.
you gotta blame mark, seems like he never tried to learn anything after that season

J255979-11nine
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
you gotta blame mark, seems like he never tried to learn anything after that season

One trick ponies come and go all the time in this league. It's just surprising that he had as much success in that first year as he did.

Draft King
12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
John Abraham has a shot. I'm going to say Cameron Wake in the end has the most.

Vox Populi
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
One trick ponies come and go all the time in this league. It's just surprising that he had as much success in that first year as he did.

If I remember correctly there was some stat like whenever he got a pressure on the quarterback he got a sack like 80% of the time, whereas most guys only get the pressure and the QB runs away or throws it away. He only got near the QB like 15 times and most of them were sacks. People like Jared Allen got there 40 times and only had like 14 sacks. I think he just got lucky that year and capitalized on the modest number of times he managed to get near the QB at an extremely high rate.

umphrey
12-27-2010, 01:23 PM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9749/clayzzz.gif

Hustle. I don't think anyone does it better than Clay.

Too bad he's tied for 2nd at 12.5 trailing Cameron Wake with 14. Defenses really started keying on him after week 4 or so, and it's been opening things up for his teammates, but his stats have suffered. His play certainly hasn't though.

Gay Ork Wang
12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Peppers is constantly running and shoving players out of bounds. I liked the hustle ive seen from him, i think there was one play, im not sure where, when he chased someone downfield for like 20-30 yards until the safety came and hit him (peppers was pretty close). Could be the eagles game

katnip
12-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Brian Orakpo

i voted for him.. it seemed he was going pretty good stat/sack wise first half of the year.. what the hell happened? he was a college de pass rusher in a 34

umphrey
12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Peppers is constantly running and shoving players out of bounds. I liked the hustle ive seen from him, i think there was one play, im not sure where, when he chased someone downfield for like 20-30 yards until the safety came and hit him (peppers was pretty close). Could be the eagles game
Peppers has been hot and cold his career, though I haven't seen it in a Bears jersey yet. I just absolutely loved that play specifically because Clay was beat badly by 5+ yards into the backfield and came back chasing down the RB at what looked like 4.4 speed and not only did he catch him, he knocked the ball out just before the runner went out of bounds and knocked it towards the field of play.

A lot of other players would have given up as soon as they saw the RB take off past him. Even past that most players would have just tried to shove him out of bounds. Clay came up with a big time turnover.

TheFinisher
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
In the end, there is only one.....

http://3putt.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/demarcus-ware.jpg

Basileus777
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Ware just beat out Tamba...

Sniper
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Ware just beat out Tamba...

It probably helps that the Eagles played a UDFA at LT today.

vidae
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Aww, I thought Tamba had that locked up.

TheFinisher
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM

Well he gave him a nice welcome into the NFL today

wogitalia
01-03-2011, 01:44 AM

That would be an upgrade on the overrated hack that normally starts there though? ;)

Ware really is a beast though, guy combines a great motor with incredible athletic ability.

DMWSackMachine
01-04-2011, 07:50 PM

*shrug* They all count. To my knowledge, no one has gone back and taken away the 6 sack game from Osi against Winston Justice, or a couple years back when Jared Allen had like 7 of his sacks in two games against a division foe playing a terrible LT (foggy on the details, sorry) etc etc. Truth be told, every sack with a big season has at least one of those types of days on their resume. Given that DeMarcus has been probably the most consistently productive pass rusher this decade, if anyone was going to win it in a year like this, it should have been him.

Of course, I'm not exactly bursting with objectivity on the subject, lol.......;)

BaLLiN
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
i kindof agree that Osi doesn't deserve Pro bowl even tho he broke the FF NFL record, he got garbage stats mostly, big players make big plays in big games; he really didnt

NY+Giants=NYG
01-05-2011, 07:23 AM
I thought the record for force fumbles would have been more than 10. Not saying 10 is a low number, but still, you'd think a passing rushing OLB, who can get 15 sacks or so, would have beat that. But got to give props to Osi for having a pro bowl type year after whining and getting benched last season.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
i kindof agree that Osi doesn't deserve Pro bowl even tho he broke the FF NFL record, he got garbage stats mostly, big players make big plays in big games; he really didnt

Huh? Osi made plenty of big plays in big moments. Don't confuse the overal team's inability to fall short with 1 individual player.

Osi had a PB season.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2011, 07:29 AM
I think if I could choose any front 7 player to start a defense with, I'd probably choose DeMarus Ware.

It would be hard to pass on Ngata though. Ok, maybe Ngata, then Ware.

But I think the world of DeMarcus Ware. He's so good.

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I thought the record for force fumbles would have been more than 10. Not saying 10 is a low number, but still, you'd think a passing rushing OLB, who can get 15 sacks or so, would have beat that. But got to give props to Osi for having a pro bowl type year after whining and getting benched last season.

Once upon a time I thought Derrick Johnson would come into the NFL and challenge the record for forced fumbles in a season. It was freaky how good he had got at it before he came out, oh well.

Earlier in this thread I didn't think Ware would get it because Spencer would take some sacks from him, which he ended up having a down season like most of our defense and he didn't play like he finished out the year before.

Ware didn't even look as dominant this season as he has had in others. Even when he starts to decline I think he's gonna be a really good solid player for a long time who can get double digit sacks even when he loses a step.

TheFinisher
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Once upon a time I thought Derrick Johnson would come into the NFL and challenge the record for forced fumbles in a season. It was freaky how good he had got at it before he came out, oh well.

Earlier in this thread I didn't think Ware would get it because Spencer would take some sacks from him, which he ended up having a down season like most of our defense and he didn't play like he finished out the year before.

Ware didn't even look as dominant this season as he has had in others. Even when he starts to decline I think he's gonna be a really good solid player for a long time who can get double digit sacks even when he loses a step.

I don't know if I can agree with that, it's easy to think that way because of how bad our defense was this year but Ware was pretty damn good this season. You have to remember that we were playing from behind in most games and teams knew they could run at will on us. I don't think there were as many opportunites for Ware to rush the passer as years prior, but when he did he was just as dominant. I always laugh when they show replays after a sack of his, you can see how hard teams try to scheme for him by either bringing over a TE or trying to chip him but they just can't figure him out. Just an awesome player.