PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Gholston

xxxxxxxx
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I couldv'e just put this in the Jets thread, but I wanted a bigger discussion. Is he just a bust now? Just another way the OSU program sucks ass lol? I haven't followed him or the jets at all so can someone fill me in?

killxswitch
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.

Don Vito
09-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Rex Ryan loves him at least, he is now a 3-4 end instead of OLB.

xxxxxxxx
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
At his size he's an end?..

Splat
09-02-2010, 09:25 AM
He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.

I for one would like to at least see him try it before I give up on him completely, that said it's hard not to throw out the B-word.

FUNBUNCHER
09-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I didn't even notice him playing in preseason.

AHungryWalrus
09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Rex Ryan loves him at least, he is now a 3-4 end instead of OLB.

Not really. He's just trying to get something out of the teams investment.

For what it's worth, he actually has been playing decently this preseason and training camp. Not like a 1st rounder or anything, but like someone who would at least make the team as depth, instead of just being handed a spot because he was a first rounder.

I don't expect much out of him. Definitely a bust as a first round pick. We could have gotten average D-line help in the 5th, so I'm saying he would have been an ok 5th rounder.

brat316
09-02-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm sure Rex Ryan has tried it. This guy is a coach who really puts his defensive players in positions to make plays and helps them play to their ability. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you, well you are a bust.

killxswitch
09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
If Greg Hardy keeps up his preseason performance the rest of the season he will be the anti-Gholston.

TimD
09-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I didn't even notice him playing in preseason.

well then you havent been watching the games or Hard Knocks. hes had his best preseason so far and hes back to playing his natural position. i believe he had 5 tackles against the panthers. anyways this is a good read about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/sports/football/29jets.html

also he volunteered to take a paycut this offseason so he could have another shot with the team. he seems like a good guy who is just really struggling to adjust

J-Mike88
09-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm sure Rex Ryan has tried it. This guy is a coach who really puts his defensive players in positions to make plays and helps them play to their ability. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you, well you are a bust.
I like strong, concise, clear statements like that.
How is Gholston big enough to play DE now? Has he bulked up a lot?

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Cue the guy who insist he needs to go to NO to play DE and become a pro bowler.

I really don't think any defense will make a difference, he just sucks and isn't very physical at all as well as being extremely stiff. I remember all the Orakpo-Gholston comparisons last off-season because they both had big muscles and were athletic freaks, made sense to alot of people.

AntoinCD
09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
He just strikes me as a guy without the necessary desire to be great. Rex Ryan had an offensive lineman start a fight with him to at least get some reaction from him and get the fire burning. That really shouldn't be necessary. The guy has tons of talent but I just don't see him even becoming a contributing role player

killxswitch
09-02-2010, 10:56 AM
He just strikes me as a guy without the necessary desire to be great. Rex Ryan had an offensive lineman start a fight with him to at least get some reaction from him and get the fire burning. That really shouldn't be necessary. The guy has tons of talent but I just don't see him even becoming a contributing role player

I agree it shouldn't be necessary. If it works it will only work for a short period of time before he goes back to being complacent. I liked Gholston a lot at OSU so I want to see him succeed. But two seasons of poor or no production makes it hard to believe any of these reports about how this year is different. Didn't the Jets say the same stuff last year?

FUNBUNCHER
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
well then you havent been watching the games or Hard Knocks. hes had his best preseason so far and hes back to playing his natural position. i believe he had 5 tackles against the panthers. anyways this is a good read about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/sports/football/29jets.html

also he volunteered to take a paycut this offseason so he could have another shot with the team. he seems like a good guy who is just really struggling to adjust

I watched the Jets/Skins preseason game, and I don't recall his name being called once.

Didn't Gholston start playing organized football as a junior or senior in HS??
His football IQ may not have been high enough for him to make the jump to the NFL.
4 or 5 years of organized football, including college, then to be drafted by the Jets as a high first rounder in a scheme you've never played, and really aren't that suited for to excel in, has gotta be difficult.

Still, I think Gholston may have some type of emotional or psychological issues holding him back on the football field.

P-L
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Cue the guy who insist he needs to go to NO to play DE and become a pro bowler.
Was that the same guy who insisted that Gholston was a better prospect than Mario Williams?

keylime_5
09-02-2010, 11:32 AM

is it possible for him to bulk up any more? The guy looks like muscles are about to explode out of his body.

Hurricanes25
09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
At his size he's an end?..

Yeah, he is now playing end in the 3-4 and he is pretty undersized but he's been making a lot of progress. He's finally getting after the QB which is nice to see.

As far as the "bust" label is concerned, he is a bust at this point. I don't think he'll ever live up to a #6 pick but he has a chance to be a solid player.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Gholston has actually looked pretty good in the PS so far. He is playing with motor, and with power. He's pushing back the line whenever he rushes.

Im not saying he's finally turning it around, but it does seem like he's moving in the right direction at least. I'd like to see him as a full time End in a 4-3.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
He is the ultimate workout warrior. He rose, not based on what he did in college, but on his amazing combine and triangle numbers. The guy was a phantom at Ohio State when they got passed their non-conference cupcakes. He is a phantom in the NFL. But man were his biceps huge! Man could he run a 4.5.

Don Vito
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
If Greg Hardy keeps up his preseason performance the rest of the season he will be the anti-Gholston.

That's what I'm talking about.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Im kind of upset we didn't go after Geno Atkins and Greg Hardy. I loved Geno, and I used to have a mancrush on Hardy, and when I saw him available in the 6th i was like ****, let's get him.

2 guys who are going to be major steals for their teams.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
How has George Selvie looked? Him and Greg Hardy both fell very low and both were being mocked into the 1st round for a long time, I figured both end up being a steal, but let's see how some perform in the regular season.

Atkins is more then likely a future pro bowler, it just made no sense he wasn't drafted higher.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
How has George Selvie looked? Him and Greg Hardy both fell very low and both were being mocked into the 1st round for a long time, I figured both end up being a steal, but let's see how some perform in the regular season.

Atkins is more then likely a future pro bowler, it just made no sense he wasn't drafted higher.

Aaaah, i wanted Atkins so bad. That one hurts.

killxswitch
09-02-2010, 12:20 PM

I haven't watched any Rams preseason but a quick google says he looked good in scrimmages but has a leg injury that kept him out of at least one preseason game vs. the Pats.

I agree about Atkins, I really wanted the Colts to grab him. Him or Lamarr Houston. Or Brian Price. Damn what a DT class.

Don Vito
09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
31 teams will regret passing on Hardy. Fact.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
For at least 4 games that is. Bc after that, his potential to get injured increases exponentially.

But for a 6th round pick? Well worth it.

tenorx
09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I like Vernon. Thanks to the similarities to him we could grab Thaddeus Lewis in the 4th :)

Rosebud
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM

I'd say most people acknowledge that he could do no worse in a 4-3 as a DE. I doubt he'd ever "break out", but he'd certainly do more than he is right now.

I haven't watched any Rams preseason but a quick google says he looked good in scrimmages but has a leg injury that kept him out of at least one preseason game vs. the Pats.

I agree about Atkins, I really wanted the Colts to grab him. Him or Lamarr Houston. Or Brian Price. Damn what a DT class.

Yeah this was a sick class, Brian Price is going to be a monster. Watching him play I thought I was watching a young Sed Ellis, he's so quick out of his stance and does a great job attacking lineman low and blowing them back. He still needs some beefing up and he needs to work on not leaning as much so he doesn't end up on the ground as much but at his peak that guy's going to be a beast. I still regret the giants not trading Osi for the Rams second rounder and grabbing both Price and Joseph to go with JPP in the first and Hardy in the 6th. Our DL would be a dominant force going forward.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd say most people acknowledge that he could do no worse in a 4-3 as a DE. I doubt he'd ever "break out", but he'd certainly do more than he is right now.

Yeah this was a sick class, Brian Price is going to be a monster. Watching him play I thought I was watching a young Sed Ellis, he's so quick out of his stance and does a great job attacking lineman low and blowing them back. He still needs some beefing up and he needs to work on not leaning as much so he doesn't end up on the ground as much but at his peak that guy's going to be a beast. I still regret the giants not trading Osi for the Rams second rounder and grabbing both Price and Joseph to go with JPP in the first and Hardy in the 6th. Our DL would be a dominant force going forward.

I remember you were pimping Price hard and I wasn't a fan of his, and I was pimping Geno hard and you weren't a fan of his.

I guess we were both right and wrong.

I liked Joseph and Troup a lot too. I thought Troup would be better value bc I thought he'd go in round 3, but Buffalo reached for him.

This was a great draft to overhaul your defensive line. I firmly believe that moving forward, its going to be easier to build a 4-3 defense than a 3-4.

Just look at guys like Daryl Washington, Geno Atkins, Brian Price, Hardy, Michael Johnson, Houston, Carlos Dunlap. Lots of quality 4-3 guys are falling in the draft nowadays.

Chucky
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Bucs are going to have a scary interior pass rush in a year or two with McCoy and Price.

derza222
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
He is the ultimate workout warrior. He rose, not based on what he did in college, but on his amazing combine and triangle numbers. The guy was a phantom at Ohio State when they got passed their non-conference cupcakes. He is a phantom in the NFL. But man were his biceps huge! Man could he run a 4.5.

I'm going to disagree with this. As far as I remember, he really didn't rise much after the combine. People knew what he could do physically prior to the combine, not like he really surprised anybody. And at least with quite a few people on this site if not the majority he was a top 10 guy before the season was even over. I remember thinking he might not reach the Jets if he exploded during the national championship game that year, which he didn't, based on where his stock seemed to be.

Now is he a bust? Absolutely as of right now, although BBD is correct he is moving in the right direction. I could see him being a rock solid backup end and I don't think that's unrealistic right now, which is obviously would still make him a big bust based on where he was drafted. But I don't think he was a workout warrior or he rose based on his combine. He was a highly regarded prospect because he put up nice numbers and people knew he had tremendous physical potential, but he I don't think anything changed based on his combine workouts, he was the exact same player.

SenorGato
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Gholston's going to be fine. If there's one thing I hate about sports today it's how quickly young guys are labeled with the b-word. That word is ********, and cheaper than a 2 dollar hoowah now. EVERYONE knew heading into the '08 draft that he was probably not going to set the world on fire immediately...somehow when it happened people were surprised anyway and the surprise quickly turned to anger and then hate. It's weird to watch.

Hurricanes25
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Gholston's going to be fine. If there's one thing I hate about sports today it's how quickly young guys are labeled with the b-word. That word is ********, and cheaper than a 2 dollar hoowah now.

He was the #6 pick and has yet to record a sack. As of right now, he absolutely is a bust.

Rosebud
09-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I remember you were pimping Price hard and I wasn't a fan of his, and I was pimping Geno hard and you weren't a fan of his.

I guess we were both right and wrong.

I liked Joseph and Troup a lot too. I thought Troup would be better value bc I thought he'd go in round 3, but Buffalo reached for him.

This was a great draft to overhaul your defensive line. I firmly believe that moving forward, its going to be easier to build a 4-3 defense than a 3-4.

Just look at guys like Daryl Washington, Geno Atkins, Brian Price, Hardy, Michael Johnson, Houston, Carlos Dunlap. Lots of quality 4-3 guys are falling in the draft nowadays.

It's not that I didn't like Geno, I just thought he had under-achieved throughout his college career and was infatuated with Price.

I don't know if Buffalo reached for Troup. He was a legit second round prospect because he's going to be a good 3-4 NT, he's not as polished as Dan Williams but he has similar upside and Buffalo desperately needed a hard working Nose to develop as the anchor of their new 3-4. I would've loved him in the 3rd rounder but I've found that if I love a player at a certain spot it's often that they go well above that spot because someone else likes them at that higher spot. Ergo I like him as a second rounder, although I would've loved him as a third rounder.

Plus I really don't think Cody is going to work out, even with the Ravens with Ngata, Gregg and Ray there to be on his ass, that's a great spot for him, but he's not just raw, he's raw, unmotivated and unfocused. And Buffalo is at a point right now where they can't take big character risks. They can wait for projects to come together but they really can't have their locker-room become filled with poorly motivated and unfocused bums if this rebuild is to have any lasting success.

That's actually why I'm one of the few non-true-bills fans who didn't get on the team for passing on Anthony Davis. I think Davis is going to be a stud for the 9ers, but I think there's a good chance he could've become another Jason Peters for the Bills, a guy who came along and quickly became a beast who the fans fell in love with but became complacent being on a rebuilding team in Buffalo and hurt the locker-room because he wanted out.

4-3 DL talent is falling and the slide of many penetrating UTs in this years draft proves it. Since the DL is by far the most important part of a 4-3 this is going to be a great time to be running a 4-3. Which is why I think going forward the Giants, Bengals and Titans could be running 3 of the most dominant defenses in the League. Although I worry that we might starting seeing the best values at LB being tampa-2 style LBs who have no place in the 3-4, which is a scheme we both really hate.

Bucs are going to have a scary interior pass rush in a year or two with McCoy and Price.

Yeah, that duo's going to be awesome. But who do you guys have at the ends who you feel comfortable as a starter moving forward?

SenorGato
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
He was the #6 pick and has yet to record a sack. As of right now, he absolutely is a bust.

Yes, I understand that's how it works. I just think it's hacky in the long run.

+1,000,000

Hardy could and did dominate SEC ball at 80%....I understand why he fell but the 6th? Steal of the draft...

brat316
09-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Wise guy ehhh?

descendency
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM

He has like a total of 30 tackles in his career.

irishbucsfan
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Yeah, that duo's going to be awesome. But who do you guys have at the ends who you feel comfortable as a starter moving forward?

Robert Quinn.

phlysac
09-04-2010, 10:02 AM

Even the Panthers passed on him FOUR TIMES. Fact.

phlysac
09-04-2010, 10:07 AM
hes back to playing his natural position.

I highly doubt that anyone other than Nostradamus would've said that 3-4 DE is his "natural" position. Just because the words "Defensive End" are included in his position title doesn't mean that 4-3 DE and 3-4 DE are very similar.

Rosebud
09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Robert Quinn.

lol, fair enough. I was curious to know if Moore or one of your current ends had shown something to believe he could be long term starter.

San Diego Chicken
09-04-2010, 10:12 AM
It's easy to forget now how he absolutely ate Jake Long for lunch in that 07 game. He's gotta be able to at least flash a little talent in the NFL? I can't believe he could be that bad.

Marino13
09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
It's easy to forget now how he absolutely ate Jake Long for lunch in that 07 game. He's gotta be able to at least flash a little talent in the NFL? I can't believe he could be that bad.

actually he only beat Jake once. He was matched up against Steve Schilling most of the game.

descendency
09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Robert Quinn.

If that happened, the Bucs could have the top line in the NFL in 4 years. Maybe even trade a 7th for gholston and put him at LDE.

J-Mike88
09-04-2010, 04:12 PM
actually he only beat Jake once. He was matched up against Steve Schilling most of the game.
LOL, where is Steve Schilling now?

soybean
09-04-2010, 04:16 PM

well wasn't that the only sack Jake Long gave up all year?

Shiver
09-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Vernon just can't play standing up it seems. If he's playing decently at 3-4 DE, that really just shows he should have his hand in the dirt.

I'd still chance it with him with a late rounder and try him at DE. If he's hanging at 3-4 DE, he's at least good enough to factor into the run game, and guys that are that fast that are already impacting the run game could turn into something nice.

irishbucsfan
09-05-2010, 03:41 PM
If that happened, the Bucs could have the top line in the NFL in 4 years. Maybe even trade a 7th for gholston and put him at LDE.

Very exciting times. I can't stress how good I feel about our last two drafts. There's a big difference between just getting younger and actually adding young talent, which is what we've been doing methodically.

Shiver
09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Did Gholston gain thirty pounds while I wasn't looking? The guy was a prototype 3-4 OLB/4-3 RE, or used to be.

phlysac
09-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Did Gholston gain thirty pounds while I wasn't looking? The guy was a prototype 3-4 OLB/4-3 RE, or used to be.

Nope. He was just SO BAD at OLB that he managed to be better at DE. His strength is serviceable at the position but his size would likely be an issue at some point. We shall see.

Sniper
09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
LOL, where is Steve Schilling now?

Starting at left guard for Michigan.

BlindSite
09-05-2010, 06:54 PM
The thing about Greg Hardy is that he realistically had one year where he couldn't get healthy and you can say that about most players by the time they hit the NFL, some injury history, it's the game.

The biggest knock on him coming out was an apparent lack of motivation, failure to show up to meetings, not giving 100% whatever.

Hardy said after he was drafted that he did try, tried 100% of the time but just wasn't healthy enough to be productive or always get on the field. He is healthy and according to Beason and to everyone from fans to media who've seen him practice and play he gives his all on every single play and if he's doing that with the starters against the Titans, at DT, DE and every where and abusing people I think he's going places.

I don't expect him to start, but by next season I could see him being the starting LDE or RDE and being a massive force for Carolina. I wasn't a fan of the pick, at all. Now I am.

As for Gholston, he's absolutely a bust, of the highest caliber guys from the same draft class from the 7th round have more sacks, even Hilee Taylor who's missed most of his NFL career with injuries has 1 sack, Trevor Scott in Oakland who was a 7th rounder has 12.

He's a bust.

Sniper
12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&page=10spot/10week14

7. Plenty is riding on Vernon Gholston's first sack. The Jets' defensive end, New York's 2008 first-round pick, keeps getting closer and closer to the first sack of his NFL career. According to NFL Players Association documents, Gholston needs only one sack to trigger a $9.1 million roster bonus that the Jets would have the option to pick up next March. Gholston also could activate the $9.1 million bonus with 20 percent play time this season or one fumble recovery. If the Jets declined to pick it up, Gholston then would become an unrestricted free agent. This is an escalator that the Jets worked into Gholston's contract last offseason, when the two sides agreed to restructure his deal. So one sack, one fumble recovery, one interception or 20 percent play time could mean a big payday -- or it could punch Gholston's ticket out of New York.

LonghornsLegend
12-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Lol at so much money hinging on so little. They are crazy if they pick up that option but it's not very likely.

yourfavestoner
12-10-2010, 05:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&page=10spot/10week14

I don't know whether to laugh or be disgusted.

stephenson86
12-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Give him to me on the Titan's, let Washburn give it a go.

Monomach
12-10-2010, 05:43 PM
It's just incredible that he has no career sacks. You'd think that in three friggin' seasons, just once an O-lineman would slip and fall or blow his assignment to give up one measly garbage sack.

Gholston needs to find a QB who makes no money and offer him a million dollars to run right up to him and get sacked so he can trigger that 9 million.

Crickett
12-10-2010, 05:50 PM
It's just incredible that he has no career sacks. You'd think that in three friggin' seasons, just once an O-lineman would slip and fall or blow his assignment to give up one measly garbage sack.

Gholston needs to find a QB who makes no money and offer him a million dollars to run right up to him and get sacked so he can trigger that 9 million.

He once sacked a quarterback in the preseason.

Once.

descendency
12-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I just heard he needs 1 sack to trigger a 9.1 million dollar bonus.

He had 3 years as a pass rusher to get 1 sack...lol.

CC.SD
12-10-2010, 05:59 PM

This is epic.

Rudy.

Rudy.

RUDY.

RUDY.

MetSox17
12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Lol it means nothing, it just means that it triggers the option for the Jets to pick up the roster bonus. Which they'd be incredibly ******** to pick up.

Complex
12-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Give him to me on the Titan's, let Washburn give it a go.

This (10char)

umphrey
12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
do the jets have to pay him if he picks up his end of the deal? because if he is one sack away from stealing 9M from the Jets, they would be stupid to not just sit him on the bench

12-10-2010, 10:05 PM
You do the math...he doesn't start in year 3 and was the 6th pick in '08. Jets fans probably love him though.

killxswitch
12-10-2010, 10:06 PM
He'd be fine if he just got a chance to play in a 4-3.

cvv84
12-10-2010, 10:18 PM
do the jets have to pay him if he picks up his end of the deal? because if he is one sack away from stealing 9M from the Jets, they would be stupid to not just sit him on the bench

They'd still have to pick up the option. Basically they put in that incentive to try to motivate him and now they can let him walk with less financial ramifications then if he were to play out his full 5 year rookie contract.

PoopSandwich
12-10-2010, 11:49 PM
he sucks big weiner end topic

Jvig43
12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
It's kind of funny that in three years he has zero sacks. Not even one in Ryans Blitz heavy defense. Pretty big bust. I remember after watching his combine wanting the Pats to go for him, man so glad we got Mayo.

Crickett
12-11-2010, 12:03 AM
It's kind of funny that in three years he has zero sacks. Not even one in Ryans Blitz heavy defense. Pretty big bust. I remember after watching his combine wanting the Pats to go for him, man so glad we got Mayo.

Its because he's so bad in open space that its actually comical.

I'm kind of glad that the Patriots got Mayo too, although that was because I thought they were going to draft Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and that thought terrifies me.

PoopSandwich
12-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Its because he's so bad in open space that its actually comical.

I'm kind of glad that the Patriots got Mayo too, although that was because I thought they were going to draft Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and that thought terrifies me.

he's good in madden dude youre an idiot for not wanting him

TACKLE
12-11-2010, 02:22 AM
he's good in madden dude youre an idiot for not wanting him

He's good, but he's no Manny Lawson.

BuddyCHRIST
12-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't the Jets have to pick up his option for that 9.1 to kick in? Not sure if I'm reading it right, would think they would just say "No Thanks."

And Schefter is crazy if he thinks Kellen Moore is a 3rd-4th round pick.

stephenson86
12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
I think he still needs to be given a go in a 4-3 just to see if he can still bull rush the OT

gsorace
12-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I think he still needs to be given a go in a 4-3 just to see if he can still bull rush the OT

The jets line up in a 4-3 all the time, Gholston is just a bad football player.

stephenson86
12-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Well then I'm convinced lol, I have only seen 2 Jet's games this year (both the ones where Sanchez has totally blown) and as I don't really care much for defence I hadn't noticed, just assumed it was 3-4.

AHungryWalrus
12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I loved the pick at the time, because I wanted anyone other than McFadden...

Trade? Plz?