PDA

View Full Version : Prospects You Were Incredibly Wrong About

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm sure this thread has been made before, but our recent convos of certain players has me thinking of prospects I was dead wrong about. Its easy to point out who we were right about, but admitting you were way off on some guys is a tough pill to swallow sometimes. So name the guys you were wrong about:

Vernon Gholston: I thought this guy could be like Shawne Merriman

Brady Quinn: I ate up the Charlie Weis/Notre Dame hype.

Reggie Nelson: I thought this dude would be the next Ed Reed

Alan Branch: I thought he'd be a Pat Williams

Chad Greenway: I thought he had bust written all over him

Bobby Carpenter: I thought Parcells found his Carl Banks

Vince Young: I thought he'd suck

Matt Ryan: Ditto for Ryan. I was a Flacco fan.

Robert Gallery: Needs no explanation really

I'm sure there are more than I'm forgetting.

Splat
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Non homer pick.

Robert Gallery - I was 100% sold.

Homer pick.

Tamba Hali - Not only did he prove me wrong but is now one of my favorite Chiefs.

prock
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I was very wrong about Greenway, as well.

I am hoping I am wrong about Chris Cook. I thought he was going to be a huge bust, but if he continues his preseason performance, he will prove me wrong.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Oh, Chris Houston the CB.

I thought he'd be great. I loved Manuel Ramirez too, although Im not sure that counts bc he was a 4th rounder.

Splat
09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Derrick Johnson - I thought he would be an All Pro LB and while he has flashed that at times he is way to up and down with his play, not even close to the player I thought he would be.

P-L
09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Let's see, there were a lot.

- Chris Long, Darren McFadden, and Derrick Harvey were all in my top ten.
- I had Limas Sweed and James Hardy over DeSean Jackson.
- Sam Baker was my 9th rated offensive tackle.

- JaMarcus Russell was my #3 overall prospect.
- I rated Adam Carriker and Alan Branch as top ten prospects.
- Chris Houston was my top corner, over Darrelle Revis

- I loved Antonio Cromartie. He was my top corner and #10 overall.
- Matt Leinart was my #8 overall.
- Chad Jackson was my top receiver.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Oh i forgot about Chris Long. I was incredibly wrong on him too.

I'm not ready to call my mancrush on Cromartie a bust just yet. I think he can turn his career around in NY. If I were to make a CB out of clay, I would mold it to look and run exactly like Cromartie. The guy is an absolute freak.

themaninblack
09-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I never thought Leon Hall would be nearly as good as he is. I guess I fell into the OMGZZS 40 yd dazsh!!!1 thing.

ThePudge
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Vernon Gholston, Brady Quinn, and Derrick Harvey are the ones that really stand out in my mind as guys I was pretty high on.

I thought Orakpo had some of the same flaws that prevented Gholston from being a good 3-4 OLB, apparently I was dead wrong.

I liked Jamaal Anderson. I thought Reggie Bush would actually be special. I thought McFadden would wind up one of the league's best eventually. I still think McFadden has upside... Thomas Jones was a Top 10 pick who's career started very slowly, his first two seasons were worse than DMac's, his third he only gained 511 yards. I still have some hope for McFadden if Oakland is able to pass the ball and/or block for him.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Derrick Johnson - I thought he would be an All Pro LB and while he has flashed that at times he is way to up and down with his play, not even close to the player I thought he would be.

He starts the list for me, I'm typically not wrong about the 1 or 2 Longhorn prospects I like each year. I don't hype up a ton of Longhorns each year, last year it was Earl Thomas & Lamaar Houston, the year before it was Orakpo, before that Jermichael Finley. I was so sure about all of those guys and DJ was no different. Thing is I think he's still talented and when he gets back to playing weakside in a 4-3 he's gonna provide some value, but he looked the part of a very elite LB, and besides how could a guy be a bust when he could cause fumbles that frequently?

Chad Jackson - I fell in love with the measurables, speed, hands, without pads he looked about as good as you could. All off-season he looked like the best WR.

I can't even think of anymore now, I'm sure this thread will remind me of some more.

georgiafan
09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Mcfadden I thought he was the best HB prospect I've ever seen

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
When evaluating prospects, my preferences have changed over the years too. I put more emphasis on measurables now than I did in the past.

I used to be all about the overachievers. Now I rather reach for an athlete.

For example, the guys Ive loved as middle round prospects in the past 2 drafts: Michael Johnson, Geno Atkins, Greg Hardy, Clint Ingram, Mike Wallace, Jimmy Graham, all these guys have great measurables.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Ooooh, awesome topic.

Robert Gallery - I think this guy will be on pretty much everyone's list

Russell AND Quinn - Loved both of them. Russell had all the warning signs, but that kind of talent was irresistible.

Roy and Reggie Williams - Roy had tantalizing talent, but his stopwatch speed comes from being such a long strider. He doesn't play nearly as fast as he times. Reggie, I thought, would turn out to be what Brandon Marshall currently is.

Carlos Rodgers - Thought he'd easily be a top 5 corner. He's solid, with terrible hands.

Donte Whitner/Michael Huff - Thought they were both the real deal, but were overdrafted by about ten picks or so. Turns out they were overdrafted by about three rounds.

Reggie Nelson - Thought he was the next Ed Reed. He's one of the worst DBs I've ever seen in my life.

Gosder Cherilus - Thought he'd be the top RT in the league within a few years.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There are definitely more, though.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Good topic, time to own up people. I will search it if I don't believe you.

2006:

Laurence Maroney - I had him #2 at RB, ahead of DeAngelo Williams. I liked his size, how he hit the hole in a ZBS and that NE drafted him was even more proof that he was going to be the best out of the non-Reggie Bush tier.

Marcus McNeil - I didn't think for a second that he was going to be able to either stay healthy or be an effective left tackle in this league.

2007:

Jamaal Anderson and Chris Houston - My Falcons had three picks in the top 40 and they took these two Arkansas Razorbacks. I was incredibly excited as were most draft-gurus who gave Atlanta an A grade. Unfortunately Anderson's weigh gain as he grew into his body completely ruined his chances of being a quality DE in this league. He is strong, but his speed and agility that were Mario Williams-like at 270 was gone when he was at 290 for the Falcons. Worse, he is even heavier now and basically was converted to DT. Chris Houston, on the other hand, proved to be completely unable to play the ball in the air. He was always in great position, always had the speed and strength, but would let receivers go up and beat him out for the ball. It was maddening.

Chris "Buster" Davis - I really liked him. I thought his game projected well into the NFL, much like Steve Smith was better than Dwayne Jarrett. He was on a talented team with a great QB, but now he can't even start over Malcolm Floyd and Legedu Naanee.

2008:

Chris Johnson - A year after the disastrous Chris Henry pick, the Titans take another no name RB with only combine numbers to show off? Really? I thought it was an awful decision. Guess I was wrong there.

Joe Flacco - What kind of idiotic decision is that? Trading up to take a QB from Delaware? Oh... guess I was wrong about that.

Mr.Regular
My biggest miss was JaMarcus Russell. I fell in love with his tools.
Also loved Reggie Bush. Fell into the hype machine on that one.
Thought AJ Hawk would be much, much better than he is. Was a huge fan of Antonio Cromartie.
I thought Chris Johnson was a big time reach for the Titans. Thought Brohm was a great pick for us, thought we could turn him into Schaub like trade bait.
Also thought Joe Flacco was too big of a project to take that high.

Pat Sims 90
Chris Long- Thought Miami was Crazy for passing on him
Vernon Gholston- Thought he would have a Shawn Merriman impact
Chris Johnson- Thought Titans drafted another Chris Henry

Gaines Adams- Thought that he could have a Simeon Rice impact on the Bucs
Adrian Peterson- Thought he would not last with his past injury problems and the way he ran the ball
Adam Carriker- Thought he would be one of the Better DL in the NFL
Brady Quinn- Thought the Browns finally got their QB situation fixed

AJ Hawk- Thought he would be a beast in the NFL
Michael Huff - Thought he would have a Ed Reed impact on Defense
Jonathan Joseph- Thought the Bengals Drafted him purely on his speed

Mr.Regular
09-02-2010, 01:36 PM
When evaluating prospects, my preferences have changed over the years too. I put more emphasis on measurables now than I did in the past.

For example, the guys Ive loved as middle round prospects in the past 2 drafts: Michael Johnson, Geno Atkins, Greg Hardy, Clint Ingram, Mike Wallace, Jimmy Graham, all these guys have great measurables.
Im the same. I put much more emphasis on pure athleticism than I used to.
PS Michael Johnson was such a steal in the third round. I couldn't believe that he dropped that far. I had him going to Tampa in the first that year up until the day of the draft. Refused to believe he could slip that far.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 01:36 PM
http://photos.upi.com/topics-SAN-FRANCISCO-49ERS-VS-SEATTLE-SEAHAWKS/ab2fba2e5ea266e34ebcd2143a0f9b66/V_1.jpg

BBD, you talked about liking overachievers over measurable guys in the past. For example: you liked Mercedes Lewis more, as did a lot of people on this forum than Vernon Davis. It took a while, a change in offensive scheme and a good tongue lashing from Mike Singletary, but now Vernon Davis is everything he was hyped to be.

Splat
09-02-2010, 01:38 PM
He starts the list for me, I'm typically not wrong about the 1 or 2 Longhorn prospects I like each year. I don't hype up a ton of Longhorns each year, last year it was Earl Thomas & Lamaar Houston, the year before it was Orakpo, before that Jermichael Finley. I was so sure about all of those guys and DJ was no different. Thing is I think he's still talented and when he gets back to playing weakside in a 4-3 he's gonna provide some value, but he looked the part of a very elite LB, and besides how could a guy be a bust when he could cause fumbles that frequently?

He is still the most talented LB I have ever seen in person, you watch him in practice and he is so athletic it's ridiculous.

I agree about him still be able to turn it around, if he plays weakside in a 4-3 and they just let him roam the field and free lance he can be a playmaker.

DJ, is better off not thinking and just playing off his instinct, if you pigeon hold him and make him think to much he is done.

bigbluedefense
09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
http://photos.upi.com/topics-SAN-FRANCISCO-49ERS-VS-SEATTLE-SEAHAWKS/ab2fba2e5ea266e34ebcd2143a0f9b66/V_1.jpg

BBD, you talked about liking overachievers over measurable guys in the past. For example: you liked Mercedes Lewis more, as did a lot of people on this forum than Vernon Davis. It took a while, a change in offensive scheme and a good tongue lashing from Mike Singletary, but now Vernon Davis is everything he was hyped to be.

Yup, thats a great example. I bet if VD came out this year, I'd like him a lot more than back then. But back then, I hated him as a prospect bc he was short with short arms.

To be fair though, Im still not as high on him as others are. I think his #s go down this year.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 01:42 PM
A player that I think people are being a bit too premature about here is Darren McFadden. Injuries have derailed his two seasons, but he has had great performances in small bursts. If he can stay healthy there is still a chance he can be great. Remember he is only entering his third year.

These guys took a little bit to live up to the draft position:

Cedric Benson
Thomas Jones

killxswitch
09-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Vernon Gholston: I thought this guy could be like Shawne Merriman

Give it time and the comparison might come true.

The jury is still out IMO.

Guys I was wrong on:

AJ Hawk - I thought he'd do more.
Jay Cutler - There is still time but I thought he'd be a top 8 or 10 QB by now
Lawrence Maroney - I was mad when the Pats got him but now I'm not
JaMarcus Russell - I thought he would be great or at least good
Justin Harrell - The injuries have kept him from doing anything and I guess that's just how it's going to be
Brady Quinn - I have pretty much given up on him but was still holding out hope until recently.
Tony Ugoh - what a *****
Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis I thought they'd both be a lot better a lot faster. Since these two I have stopped expecting rookie DTs and DLmen in general to be good.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Yup, thats a great example. I bet if VD came out this year, I'd like him a lot more than back then. But back then, I hated him as a prospect bc he was short with short arms.

To be fair though, Im still not as high on him as others are. I think his #s go down this year.

Probably, his touchdown numbers were a little "flukey." I also think that Vernon Davis came out just as the TE position was being revolutionized. Now it is much more acceptable to have a TE/WR hybrid like Davis, Clark, Finley, Gates, etc. and use them almost exclusively in the slot.

steelersfan43
09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I dont see how anyone could have ever thought Jamarcus Russel would be good.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I was also wrong about Merriman/Ware. In the draft I thought it was no context, in the first two years in the league I thought it wasn't a contest. Now it is clear that Ware is definitely better.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM

His draft profile read almost identically to Ben Roethlisberger. I actually did a blind test that year to see if people could identify which was which. The difference is Ben went to a great organization, with great coaches and great leaders. Jamarcus Russell went to the terrible Raiders, watched his coaches get undercut by the enabler Davis and literally ate himself out of the league.

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
My Biggest misses were, in no order...

Brady Quinn: I had him as a for sure Franchise QB... Wow.
Jamarcus Russell: I didn't like him as much as Quinn, but thought he would at least a an above average QB. Kill me now
DeSean Jackson: Glad I was dead wrong. I didn't want him in the first, was less upset with him being picked in the second. I never anticipated him to be the playmaker he has been.
Chris Johnson: I thought the Titans fell for the 40, they did more homework than I apparently.
Robert Gallery: It was the first year I truly followed the draft, and I fell for his attitude and demeanor.
Matt Ryan: Didn't like him coming out, I had a feeling with him, well **** my instincts.
Glenn Dorsey: I thought he'd be a borderline superstar by now. After seeing a truly elite DT prospect in Suh and McCoy in this year's draft, I realize how off I was.

There are more, but I'm having a hard time thinking of good ones right now so I'm going to stop.

I've noticed I've missed more, and a lot worse, on offensive players than defensive players. Anyone else notice they evaluate better on one side of the ball or in certain areas?

Splat
09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
His draft profile read almost identically to Ben Roethlisberger. I actually did a blind test that year to see if people could identify which was which. The difference is Ben went to a great organization, with great coaches and great leaders. Jamarcus Russell went to the terrible Raiders, watched his coaches get undercut by the enabler Davis and literally ate himself out of the league.

People always blame the Raiders but I really think Jamarcus Russell would have failed no matter where he went, the guy just didn't/doesn't have the drive you need to be great.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Why is it then that all of these great prospects go to the Raiders and don't develop? Gallery, Huff, Russell, McFadden thus far. It's tough to walk into such a dysfunctional situation and come out unscathed, I don't care who you are. Even though Russell did have work ethic/weight red flags, they were probably exacerbated by the Raiders.

TitanHope
09-02-2010, 02:01 PM
When my buddy texted me that the Titans picked Chris Johnson, I punched my prom date in her face.

tjsunstein
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Love this topic. I'm not ashamed.

I like Laurence Maroney a ton.
Wasn't a fan of Jonathan Joseph.
Thought Bobby Carpenter was going to do more, or something.

Loved, loved, loved Marshawn Lynch.
Didn't think Revis was all that great.
Brady Quinn was up there on my top prospects.
Alan Branch.
H.B. Blades, remember him. I liked him.

The Chris Long story.
Felix Jones, so much better than I thought he'd be.
Kentwan Balmer. Liked him.
Was high on James Hardy.
Jamaal Charles.

Aaron Maybin.
Jury is still out on others.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
A few more I thought of:

Khalif Barnes - I thought he was the steal of the draft in the second round. His career has played out similar to Marcus McNeil's - monster in his rookie year, and a consistent dropoff after that. Although, Barnes' decline was much more rapid than McNeil's has been.

Jason Allen - Loved his versatility and athleticism. Can't find consistent playing time at either CB or S.

Will Poole - Remember him? Shot up draftnik's boards after his dominant performance against Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Max Jean-Giles - Dominant road grader at Georgia who hasn't done much in the pros.

Tony Ugoh - Thought the Colts got their left tackle for the next decade. Has followed the same career path as Barnes and McNeil.

hockey619
09-02-2010, 02:06 PM
oh boy ive got a pantload of em haha i only rate prospects that i saw, i try not to really get all behind a guy if ive seen little of him. not a lot of guys that i hated and turned out great oddly enough, but plenty that i loved and shouldnt have.

so here we go on this oddysey of embarrassment:

2005: Cedric Benson, though hes coming around i thought hed destroy on those bears teams, and much bigger than that (both in level of miss and size)

Mike Williams Wr USC =(. I really thought he could be like Plax was or like Keyshawn. those are the two guys i was totally sold on that flopped bad

2006: AJ Hawk, maybe my biggest miss ever. hes ok now, but i thought he was gunna be otherworldy good. i ripped houston on the Mario Williams pick, but not because they missed bush, i thought they were gunna regret missing Hawk. guy was just everywhere in college, i thought hed make a defense in the pros

Lendale and Bobby Carpenter i saw a bunch of and really liked, especially lendale. i thought he was a safer pick than bush. also whiffed on huff who i was really high on.

2007: haha oh boy. liked quinn a lot, loved jamarcus just loved his tools. loved landry too. thought reggie nelson could be a force against the pass

From here on these guys are still growing but ill list a few that so far havent turned out like i thought. jurys still out though

2008: didnt really like mendenhall, thats looking wrong.
2009: wasnt very high on stafford and loved sanchez.

im sure there are more from these years but getting kinda lazy and depressed haha

DoughBoy
09-02-2010, 02:07 PM
I thought JaMarcus Russell was a better prospect than John Elway.

I hated the Chris Johnson pick.

I loved Mike Williams (WR)

I loved Matt Leinart

Jammal Anderson

tjsunstein
09-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Were there any Titans fans that liked the Chris Johnson pick after they missed on Chris Henry from Arizona?

Ness
09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

As a passer he's not very good in my opinion. So perhaps you were right.

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2010, 02:12 PM
People always blame the Raiders but I really think Jamarcus Russell would have failed no matter where he went, the guy just didn't/doesn't have the drive you need to be great.

I realized I was worng on Russell when he was holding out. I agree with you, he would have failed anywhere, he doesn't have the mental make-up to be a great QB. I didn't hear any of those types of reports during the draft process, otherwise I would have probably been a little more cautious. The Raiders don't help, but they aren't completely to blame.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I was also wrong about Merriman/Ware. In the draft I thought it was no context, in the first two years in the league I thought it wasn't a contest. Now it is clear that Ware is definitely better.

Pre-draft, I thought Merriman would be better as a hand-on-the-ground 4-3 end. Part of me still thinks that's his most natural position, as his lateral movement is downright terrible after the knee injury.

I thought it was really stupid for Minnesota to pass on him in order to draft Troy Williamson.

DoughBoy
09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
As a passer he's not very good in my opinion. So perhaps you were right.

better than Alex Smith.

:P j/k......or am I?

steelersfan43
09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Titans fans lol. You all hated chris johnson and now it CJ2K all day hahaha.

I loved johnson coming out but thats only cause I love any small school kid that gets attention lol

DoughBoy
09-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Everyone in the world hated the CJ pick. We had taken Lendale White and Chris Henry in back to back years (both 2nd rounders) and everyone thought we needed a reciver. I think 95% of Titans fans wanted Devin Thomas, Malcome Kelly or Deshaun Jackson.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Why is it then that all of these great prospects go to the Raiders and don't develop? Gallery, Huff, Russell, McFadden thus far. It's tough to walk into such a dysfunctional situation and come out unscathed, I don't care who you are. Even though Russell did have work ethic/weight red flags, they were probably exacerbated by the Raiders.

That's what I always bring up. The Raiders are consistently drafting bust in the 1st round, I have a hard time believing all of those players just lacked the tools needed to be good NFL players, but people forget how important coaching and environment is to developing players. Would have been so interesting to see Peyton Manning end up on the Raiders just to see how those two polar opposites would mesh.

Also people act like Jamarcus Russell had no NFL talent what so ever. He had tools that 98% of QB's in the NFL don't have, and it had been a long time since people saw them. Of course he needed work to refine his craft, but again him being a bust had more to do with him being lazy, not wanting to work to get better, and being drafted by Oakland. It's not like he couldn't play in this league.

Granted work ethic does count as part of a guys grade in being a prospect, but I really think if you put him in the right organization, that had a coach to get the most out of him, and took your time with him, he could have been something the league hasn't seen since John Elway.

I remember Tim Brown saying he loved the pick, but he was a long long ways away from being ready, holding out didn't help, neither did eating the entire time he was out.

It's a comparison I always use, but Vernon Davis even so much admitted himself that Mike Singletary was his saving grace into becoming a great player. If he had been drafted by Oakland you can pretty much guarantee he would have been crap his entire time there, but all of a sudden you get the right coach who can maximize a players value and you get 13 TD's from a TE people were calling a bust.

It happens. Oakland ruins alot of these 1st rd picks they draft, and I'll always believe that alot of how a players career goes depends on where he was drafted.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Gallery: I thought he was a lock as a franchise LT

OSI U: I never heard of the guy before. Thought we drafted some japanese player. I thought EA must have listened to his magic wig.

Bing: I thought Bing would be better than he actually was.

Matt Jones: I figured he would do some special things as a WR. The had freak athletic ability.

Sinorice Moss: Good hands, great speed, thought he would be our Wes Welker.

wicket
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Darren McFadden
Brady Quinn
Glenn Dorsey
Chris Long

on the other side of the medal
Chris Johnson
DeSean Jackson
Felix Jones

M.O.T.H.
09-02-2010, 02:45 PM
David Carr, William Green, Byron Leftwich, Kevin Jones, Chris Perry, Jamarcus Russell, Chris Houston, Ko Simpson.

I loved Braylon Edwards and Robert Meachem as well. They're a different level of disappointment, though. Braylon was good for one year and Meachem is actually pretty dangerous now. I just thought he'd be a super star by now.

I cant stand Braylon these days, though. He and Roy Williams fell fast.

steelersfan43
09-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I thought dexter jackson was going to be a stud.

General Zod
09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Percy Harvin and Troy Williamson.

I thought that Williamson would end up being what Percy Harvin is now. And I thought that Percy would end up being what Troy is now. If that makes any sense.

M.O.T.H.
09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Good call on Charles Rogers...he was one of my favorites as well.

P-L
09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
There wasn't much not to like. Aside from work ethic concerns, with were just rumors at the time, he had few weaknesses. He was big and relatively mobile, had phenomenal arm strength, was very accurate, performed well in big games (much, much better than Quinn), and put up excellent numbers playing in the top defensive conference in college football. Like I said, the biggest concern was the work ethic rumors (which ended up being true) and those hadn't been proven at that time.

K Train
09-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Gallery: my list of tackle prospects in my life time would look like this

Robert Gallery
the rest

Vernon Gholston, Brady Quinn, and Darrelle Revis can all be chalked up as monster fails

UKfan
09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Shonn Greene is one I definitely failed on. Whilst I saw he was a mini bowling ball, I thought his speed would prevent him from catching on like Tony Hunt...

BeerBaron
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM

I have changed my tune on this as well. I too was all about the "winners" and guys who just got it done...so what if they had a slow 40?

But seeing what a couple of guys with elite measurables can do on my team (Cutler and his arm, Knox and his speedzz,) I've changed my tune as well. Having those type of players just allows you to do so much more...it really opens up the playbook.

D-Unit
09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm terrible at WRs. I thought Mark Clayton and Chad Jackson were gonna be good.

Vox Populi
09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
When my buddy texted me that the Titans picked Chris Johnson, I punched my prom date in her face.

Your prom was in April?

BuddyCHRIST
09-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Brady Quinn - Not ashamed to say, was a huge Quinn fan.
Matt Ryan - well I thought the type of season he had his rookie year would be his best, maybe it will end up being that.
McFadden - So far anyways, still holding some hope.
Mike Williams - Had no idea he was so damn lazy.

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Your prom was in April?

Only here would that be mostly ignored, and then when it is finally recognized, this is the first question that gets brought up... I love it, haha.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
David Carr, William Green, Byron Leftwich, Kevin Jones, Chris Perry, Jamarcus Russell, Chris Houston, Ko Simpson.

I loved Braylon Edwards and Robert Meachem as well. They're a different level of disappointment, though. Braylon was good for one year and Meachem is actually pretty dangerous now. I just thought he'd be a super star by now.

I cant stand Braylon these days, though. He and Roy Williams fell fast.

Can't believe I forgot about Braylon. I had him as the surefire, top overall prospect in that draft class, and thought that SF should pass on both Smith and Rodgers for him.

Shiver
09-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Charles Rogers is another player that failed because of work ethic. He was a legit, top end speed guy. When he tried out for the Chiefs just four years into his career he ran a 4.9.

MidwayMonster31
09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Brady Quinn. Yeah
Robert Gallery. If he wasn't drafted by the Raiders, he might have been a Pro-bowler.
Devin Hester, who I thought would be a useless pick, was the best weapon the Bears had on their Super Bowl run, and is now a receiver.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Charles Rogers is another player that failed because of work ethic. He was a legit, top end speed guy. When he tried out for the Chiefs just four years into his career he ran a 4.9.

Dude was going to be a beast in the NFL. Hard to believe his NFL career only consisted of 15 games.

keylime_5
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
AJ Hawk is the one.

San Diego Chicken
09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I didn't get anything right in 08. I thought Brohm would be a star and McFadden was the second coming of Marcus Allen.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
to be fair to rogers, i thought he was a completely different player pre/post injury.

When you miss essentially to straight years and spend your time "rehabbing" by blazing every day and getting hooked on pain pills, it's usually not conducive to professional athletic career haha.

But you're right, in the few games he played in during his rookie season, he flashed elite potential.

A Perfect Score
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Good topic, I'll weigh in

Cedric Benson - I was a huge fan and I was burned for it the first few years of his career. Good to see him turning things around now though.

Derrick Johnson - Still my favorite LB prospect since I started watching the draft. If he played in a traditional 4-3 at the WILL position, I really think he would of been a star. Scheme changes and an inability to get off blocks kinda shut down his career though.

Antonio Cromartie - And here is my favorite CB prospect since I started watching the draft. Awful, huh? I wanted him on the Ravens so badly that year...painful to see the way his career has gone.

Marcedes Lewis - I thought he was going to be the next Antonio Gates. No joke.

Jimmy Williams - Loved the size, loved the speed, loved the game tape. Again, this one really hurts.

*** I loved Vince Young too, but I think the jury is still out on that one.

Jamaal Anderson - I LOVED him as a DE prospect. Thought he was going to be an awesome player.

Chris Houston - I loved him as well, big fan of the Falcons draft class that year. I thought he was going to be the next great press man corner in the NFL. Whoops

That's probably enough embarrassment for now, I think some of the other guys are too early to admit you are wrong about.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
absolutely agree. but i think it was a bit different from the jamarcus russell laziness. i feel like he was looking good, even in the preseason in his second year before he got hurt again. i think that pretty much ended him.

This.

Alot of people don't really remember that either. He started his career as a rookie on fire too, I think he had 3 TD's through his first two weeks(I'm not looking now so not sure), and he really looked like he was gonna make something of himself.

It's tough to bounce back from multiple collar bone breaks anyway though, him just getting incredibly lazy and fat didn't help the rehab any but I think he was on his way to being really good before the constant injuries.

General Zod
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM

He had that one awesome game the season opener against the Cardinals. Thats also the game that kinda but Anquan Boldin on the radar. Rodgers looked legit in that game, tough catches, going deep etc. I thought he would be a sure thing.

Rosebud
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Robert Gallery - I didn't want the Giants to trade for Eli so that we could grab Gallery and try and make it back to the superbowl
Brady Quinn - I bought the hype
Chris Houston - I saw a physical corner with blanketing man skills.
Antonio Cromartie - Was a huge fan of his upside
Alex Smith - I thought he was a franchise QB
Derrick Harvey - Uhh
Chad Jackson - It gets even worse
Reggie Nelson - Why god, why must Reggie Nelson be ********?
Charles Rogers - And he looked so promising early
Roy Williams - Seriously detroit, this was the WR you hit on before Megatron.
Jamaal Anderson - I thought he'd be the prospect Mario Williams was supposed to be.

Jvig43
09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I thought Dwayne Jarret was going to be a nasty WR in the nfl. I still wish he was :(

K Train
09-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Antonio Cromartie - And here is my favorite CB prospect since I started watching the draft. Awful, huh? I wanted him on the Ravens so badly that year...painful to see the way his career has gone.

i was borderline a ****** for cromartie....if he ever took the time to really tighten up his game we'd be looking at the best and highest paid CB in the league right now, just so ******* talented.

he was probably my third favorite CB prospect ever, behind pacman (i said it) and the upcoming patrick peterson <333

Saints-Tigers
09-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I feel like a lot of the guys I was wrong about (Russell, Quinn, Mike Williams) all had some issues, and if you told me that Russell and Mike would get lazy and never put in the work after getting paid, I wouldn't have been all that surprised.

Splat
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
In his defense Gallery has turned out to be a pretty decent guard, at least he is not all ready out of the league like some other guys.

That said I would have had no problem with him going first over all, I really thought he was that good.

yo123
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Just a quick list.

Michael Huff
Matt Leinart
Laurence Maroney
Reggie Bush
AJ Hawk
Chad Greenway
Bobby Carpenter
Chris Long

thule
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I loved marcus mccauley....I though he was going to be a stud.

Splat
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Just a quick list.

Michael Huff
Matt Leinart
Laurence Maroney
Reggie Bush
AJ Hawk
Chad Greenway
Bobby Carpenter
Chris Long

I remember his rookie year and thinking he was going to be a stud...

jayceheathman
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Dude was going to be a beast in the NFL. Hard to believe his NFL career only consisted of 15 games.

I was so happy the Lions picked Rodgers so the Texans could get Andre Johnson. He was my favorite player in college that year.

Matt Ryan was also one I thought wouldnt do well at all.

I am not going to be wrong on being a homer for Taylor Mays though.

Splat
09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I was so happy the Lions picked Rodgers so the Texans could get Andre Johnson. He was my favorite player in college that year.

Ouch that hurt's just to read and I'm not a Lion's fan so...

jayceheathman
09-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Another one I was way wrong on was Troy Williamson. I wanted the Texans to get him to complement AJ.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I've never been wrong. And if anyone digs up any posts saying otherwise, I will delete them and ban you.

:)

Go_Eagles77
09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
One guy who I thought was going to be dominant and would have loved for the eagles to be able to get is Ernie Sims. I thought he was the next Derrick Brooks. Little did I know he would be an eagle... 4 years later acquired in a trade for a 5th round pick. Hopefully he still turns it around.

Brent
09-02-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/2002Preseason/pics/dave_ragone.jpg

niel89
09-02-2010, 09:42 PM
2 recent Ravens players:

Joe Flacco: I didn't understand moving up to grab a project QB who I personally didnt believe in. He had a nice arm but I didn't like a small school QB in the first.

Ray Rice: I thought he was productive back at Rutgers but I though he had too many carries in college. I also thought he didn't have enough of a burst. He came back in his second year and was suddenly an explosive runner and a dynamic receiver.

armageddon
09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Don't write off Chris Long just yet.

RufusMcDaniel
09-02-2010, 10:30 PM

This!

Yes, I punched his date as well.

DoughBoy
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Just a few players for the titans

Ben Troupe- biggest freak of a TE I have ever seen, too bad he had the IQ of a 10 year old.

Tyrone Calico- He had some really good games his rookie season and was looking like a potential superstar. Roy Williams horse collars him and destroys both of his knees, never was the same again.

Randy Starks- probably the most excited about a D-lineman I have ever been. He is playing great with the Dolphins, but was extremely average for us.

Pacman Jones- I cry myself to sleep at night thinking about what could have been. His second season as a CB/PR/WR/RB was nothing short of amazing. He should have been the Chris Johnson of defense.

Brandon Jones- He tore training camp a new asshole every year. One of the most inconsistent players I have ever seen.

terribletowel39
09-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I didn't like the Lawrence Timmons pick. I thought he was too small to play for our defense. Like we picked Ernie Sims just a year later. He has bulked up this year to almost 250 lbs and has lost none of his quickness. And he is the best tackler on the team.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I loved marcus mccauley....I though he was going to be a stud.

Ha, I remember Keak used to talk about him nonstop.

CashmoneyDrew
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Quarterbacks
- Brian Brohm: I had him the better prospect of him and Ryan. Whoops!
- Byron Leftwich: I really liked his arm. Was upset when the Jags got him.
- Matt Leinart: Wanted him so badly over Young.
Runningbacks
- Chris Johnson: Absolutely hated the pick. Was fed up with the Titans taking RBs early. Glad I was wrong.
- Reggie Bush: I laughed when the Texans passed on him.
- Darren McFadden: Since I followed this guy pretty much his whole college career I was sold on him as an elite prospect. I thought he'd be running, catching and even throwing some with the best of them by now.
Wide Receivers
- Mike Williams: I thought Detroit finally had their guy when they took him.
- Dwayne Jarrett: I wanted him to the Titans and was pissed when we took Griffin instead.
- Malcolm Kelly: Thought he had #1 material and wanted him or Desean Jackson instead of CJ2k.

AHungryWalrus
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Ha, I remember Keak used to talk about him nonstop.

Every Keak post NEEDS to be accompanied by the picture of him in MoJo's bed.

yourfavestoner
09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
With da blunt.

http://cache.deadspin.com/images/2006/05/mauricedrewsleeping.jpg

AHungryWalrus
09-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Pure unadulterated genius.

Why isn't keak here, now, sneaking. This forum needs someone that everyone blindly worships.

kalbears13
09-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Well my biggest epic wrong was Brady Quinn. I thought he was going to be the next greatest. I liked him during his career at Notre Dame and when I found out the Browns drafted Joe Thomas, I was a little upset to be honest. I was playing baseball and after the game I found out they traded up to get Brady. I was ecstatic. If the Browns didn't draft Quinn I wanted them to draft Trent Edwards. It's a good thing I'm not a pro GM...

7DnBrnc53
09-03-2010, 12:11 AM
2005: I thought that Fred Gibson was going to be a pretty good WR, but he didn't even last with any team.

2006: I wasn't that impressed with Santonio Holmes, but he has surprised me.

AHungryWalrus
09-03-2010, 12:14 AM
As for who I was wrong about... I'll do Jets players mostly.

Gholston. Thought he would be a stud for the Jets. Hated the rumors we wanted McFadden so badly, was so happy when we got Gholston. Ugh.

Justin Miller. Didn't think he would be a one or two, but thought he would be a solid nickel. Wow. No coverage skills at all. Could return a good kick, but SUCKED in coverage. Like, ridiculously bad.

David Harris. Didn't like the pick. Wanted to switch back to 4-3 for Vilma. So maybe that made me dislike Harris more. Didn't see him being NEARLY this good.

Finally, J-Co. Didn't think he had the speed to play. So happy I was wrong about him. Solid number 2, and I just love the guy. Great human being (as far as I can tell without actually knowing him), plus he makes sick catches left and right, without ever really have a solid QB.

GB12
09-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Pure unadulterated genius.

Why isn't keak here, now, sneaking. This forum needs someone that everyone blindly worships.

Who is this?

Caddy
09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Alex Barron and Derrick Johnson are probably the two who I thought would be studs but have been garbage.

Sportsfan486
09-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Sticking to the many, many disappointments from Packer drafts..

Pat Lee. Thought he'd be a star at CB. Yeah.

Justin Harrell. Thought he'd solidify our D-Line. That worked out well.

AJ Hawk. Thought our defense had just gone elite. He's okayish, but bleh.

Abdul Hodge. Thought he'd be our starting MLB for a long time.

Ahmad Carroll. Shiver.

Other teams.

Haloti Ngata. I thought he would balloon and be out of the league in 2 years. ...

Amobi Okoye. Still has a chance to be great, thought he'd be all-pro by now.

That's all I've got for now. I did love Darelle Revis, though. Does that count for anything?

GB12
09-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Wait, you actually thought Ahmad Carroll would be good? I liked Lee, Harrell, and Hawk, but to me Carroll was a huge bust the moment we picked him. Just awful.

the dude
09-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Matt Leinart, I still dont get why didnt at least became a serviceable starter in this league

Justin Harrell...no wait

OzTitan
09-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Were there any Titans fans that liked the Chris Johnson pick after they missed on Chris Henry from Arizona?

Me. But then I find it hard to hate picks, really; all rookies have the potential to be great.

CJ was nothing like Henry really. CJ had college production, was a senior (I'm fairly sure) and clearly showed vision and patience running in his highlights at ECU. My argument at the time was the Titans offense needed a weapon, not necessarily a WR.

TitansCJftw
09-03-2010, 02:33 AM

*raises hand* im biased though because i went to ecu and saw every game he ever played in, still remember his 80+ yarder his freshman year vs wake forest, think we won 1 or 2 games that year but remember the brutal speed, he really sucked pretty hard till ecu gave him an o-line in his senior year

TitanHope
09-03-2010, 02:42 AM
This!

Yes, I punched his date as well.

You at least get any boobage at the end of the night? Sheesh. And afterwards we went back to the one girl's house and watched The Mist, leaving us all scarred for life. Worst prom evar man.

Saints-Tigers
09-03-2010, 02:57 AM
I remember when the Titans drafted Chris Johnson. I Lol'd and then punched TitanHope's prom date in the face.

NIN1984
09-03-2010, 03:46 AM
QBs, always the QBs. Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn. I considered those 3 elite. :|

Saints-Tigers
09-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Matt Leinart is the only person I can think of that really went into a great situation to grow as a player and has regressed.

Brent
09-03-2010, 06:22 AM
when the Titans took CJ, I, too, punched TitanHope's prom date in the face.

can this be a running joke, now?

Saints-Tigers
09-03-2010, 06:35 AM
*raises hand* im biased though because i went to ecu and saw every game he ever played in, still remember his 80+ yarder his freshman year vs wake forest, think we won 1 or 2 games that year but remember the brutal speed, he really sucked pretty hard till ecu gave him an o-line in his senior year

That's the thing with speed backs. poor offensive line, and getting hit in the backfield constantly= under 4 yards per carry, where some bigger backs might still crack it.

Great offensive line= brutal results.

Some people will give credit to a guy that can get it done behind **** lines, but I like the guys that thrive double with a good line, because you can't win consistently without that good line anyway.

Chris Johnson and the Titans have the line scheme, line talent, and play calling that every team with those super spped weapons should be looking to replicate.

A lot of 80+ r uns have to go r ight to break off 2000 yards, but it's a great recipe for success, and I like that my Saints are going more to that power running scheme + speed back combo, instead of trying to play tricks on teams.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 06:54 AM
I think my biggest miss was Reggie Nelson. I was all over his nuts. I thought he was going to be so good, I was so convinced of it.

I was talking him up all offseason, during the season, during the combine, and on draft day. He was one of my favorite prospects since I've been following the draft.

To see him fail this epically is just sad. Dude has the athleticism, but I underestimated how stupid he is, and how his "eraser" tackling method wouldn't work in the NFL.

Vox Populi
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I've followed the draft since like... '04 or '05, and I usually don't get that into prospects, the only two I've ever had massive boners for were Sidney Rice and Red Bryant. Obviously Rice broke out last year, Bryant, idk wtf hes doing in Seattle, hopefully something...

SchizophrenicBatman
09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
my biggest miss is def chris johnson. i need to find titanhopes prom date and punch her in the face

also whiffed on flacco. thought he'd either suck or it would take years for him to be good

jury's still out on ryan. I didnt hate him as much as some, but I didn't like him either.

OH WAIT, I hated Haloti Ngata for some reason. That's probably the worst one

Splat
09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
when the Titans took CJ, I, too, punched TitanHope's prom date in the face.

can this be a running joke, now?

"If he were to punch you in the face you would have to fight off the strong ergue to thank him."

Vox Populi
09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I also thought Brodrick Bunkley would be completely ******* terrible and wanted the entire world to **** about him going to the Bills, especially ahead of Ngata, like wtf... I had a pretty big thing for Ngata because he was a rugby player. Same with Stewart Bradley for being a rugby player, too bad hes been injured for his entire life... Thought Ernie Sims would be unreal.

Uhhhh........ I pretty much hated every QB prospect ever other than Vince Young... Locker is looking pretty solid atm though. Thought Bush would be an above average starter but not Barry Sanders/Gale Sayers/Marshall Faulk and still worthy of a top 5 pick, thought Mario Williams was a joke of a #1 overall, would have taken a dozen people over him (maybe like 6, idk... definitely would have rather seen Hawk, Bush, Young, Leinart, Cutler & Ferguson go ahead of him even if I didn't like Leinart or Cutler). Thought Manny Lawson would be Demarcus Ware-ish. Theres too many, but definitely had Red Bryant and Sidney Rice as my favourites ever so far like I said earlier.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Donte Stallworth came up in a discussion about Manning/Brady. Figured I'd put him here, he's the first WR prospect I ever fell in love with as a draftnik.

prock
09-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Good call there, I thought Manny Lawson would be amazing. I fell in love with his measurables.

CashmoneyDrew
09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Donte Stallworth came up in a discussion about Manning/Brady. Figured I'd put him here, he's the first WR prospect I ever fell in love with as a draftnik.

He should've stayed for his senior year.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I remember thinking Leon Hall wouldn't be great. I saw him more as a solid #2 CB.

I loved Andre Smith, that's not working out too well for me so far.

CC.SD
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
how about this beastly blast from the past

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/mike_fish/06/08/williams.return/tx_mikewilliams_si.jpg

umphrey
09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
What the hell happened with Vernon Gholston? He was such a beast. Maybe he would be good in a 4-3.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
LaRon Landry- I thought he'd be dominating.

Darren McFadden- Liked Adrian more, but had him ranked pretty close.

Michael Huff- Thought he'd be a fantastic safety.

Jimmy Williams- Did a quick skim through this thread, and surprised that I didn't see his name more. He was mocked as high as #9 to the Lions and I was ecstatic when he fell and the Falcons moved up to get him.

Cromartie- Fell in love with the same stuff everyone else did.

Ernie Sims- Just liked him a lot.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I remember thinking Leon Hall wouldn't be great. I saw him more as a solid #2 CB.

I loved Andre Smith, that's not working out too well for me so far.

I'm with you on this. I still love his potential, though.

terribletowel39
09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
you didn't pick ernie sims, though. the lions did.

I was saying they were similiar players. Picking Timmons would have been like picking Sims a year before. Neither one of them seemed like good fits for the Steelers D.

Nalej
09-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Wrong About...
Thought would be great:

V.Gholston
B.Quinn
Akili Smith
Chad Jackson
R. Meachem

Didn't think would be this good:

Chris Johnson (How do you pass on a WR?!)
B. Roesthl...r
N. Mangold (Thought he was okay... didn't think he'd ever be the league's best)

scottyboy
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
mainly everyone's been said. I loved Chris Houston, thought he'd be the best CB in the class. Loved Reggie Nelson, and even kinda liked Alphonso Smith. Lawson and Balmer I was high on too.
I also thought Ray Rice would be a stud...oh, wait. I win

LonghornsLegend
09-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I think my biggest miss was Reggie Nelson. I was all over his nuts. I thought he was going to be so good, I was so convinced of it.

I was talking him up all offseason, during the season, during the combine, and on draft day. He was one of my favorite prospects since I've been following the draft.

To see him fail this epically is just sad. Dude has the athleticism, but I underestimated how stupid he is, and how his "eraser" tackling method wouldn't work in the NFL.

I missed it big on him too, it's not like he doesn't have the talent though, I wanted Dallas to trade up for him and felt he could have changed our defense being a deep centerfielder.

Did anyone see him vs the Bucs on that Mike Williams 50 yard catch on the 1st play of the game? LOL why is he still even on a roster?

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I missed it big on him too, it's not like he doesn't have the talent though, I wanted Dallas to trade up for him and felt he could have changed our defense being a deep centerfielder.

Did anyone see him vs the Bucs on that Mike Williams 50 yard catch on the 1st play of the game? LOL why is he still even on a roster?

I'm praying he's gone with the final cuts.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM

The problem isn't talent. He has all world talent. He's just incredibly stupid.

I thought he could overcome it in the NFL, but its obvious now that he was a complete moron at Florida, and they just had him run a deep zone every play bc he couldn't do anything else.

And now with NFL routetrees, he's completely lost. I underestimated how important intelligence is for safeties.

Which is embarassing for me to say, bc safety is the position I hold closest to my heart. I feel I know that position better than any other position, (CB is #2), and to miss that bad on Reggie stung a little.

Shiver
09-03-2010, 03:48 PM
A lot of the first round safeties lately I've been wrong about. I keep expecting to see the next Reed, Polamalu, etc. and people like Michael Huff and Laron Landry don't do anything worth noting.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I really liked Huff coming out. In fact, I liked him alot more then Landry or Nelson. Kind of sucks he ended up in Oakland.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 03:55 PM
A lot of the first round safeties lately I've been wrong about. I keep expecting to see the next Reed, Polamalu, etc. and people like Michael Huff and Laron Landry don't do anything worth noting.

Same here.

I hope Taylor Mays breaks the trend. I think he's Bob Sanders, on Sean Taylor's frame. I thought Minnesota was foolish to pass him up, he's exactly what they need.

Also, I'm not that high on Earl Thomas. He's smarter than Reggie Nelson, but I think he'll struggle with tackling like Nelson has because of his tiny frame. Trying to take down big runningbacks or tight ends in the open field will end up unfavorably for him.

Watch, though, with my luck with safeties, he'll be the next Ed Reed.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I think the hard part of evaluating safeties is we try to evaluate them from a tv angle.

It's very difficult evaluating DBs from the TV angle.

CC.SD
09-03-2010, 03:59 PM

now that Taylor and Berry are in the league I'm just not that excited about safeties anymore. sigh.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I was wrong about CC.SD as a prospect. I predicted a much better posted would emerge from Charger Cohen.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I think the hard part of evaluating safeties is we try to evaluate them from a tv angle.

Not only that, but it's a very easy collegiate position to play. You run simple coverage schemes and most quarterbacks don't have the arm strength to challenge you deep and keep you honest.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Not only that, but it's a very easy collegiate position to play. You run simple coverage schemes and most quarterbacks don't have the arm strength to challenge you deep and keep you honest.

which is why Reggie Nelson tricked us into thinking he'd be a great safety.

CC.SD
09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I was wrong about CC.SD as a prospect. I predicted a much better posted would emerge from Charger Cohen.

Ceiling remains high

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Ceiling remains high

He came from USC, so I don't like his pedigree. Too many skill position busts.

;)

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
He came from USC, so I don't like his pedigree. Too many skill position busts.

;)

He probably got tons of college tang though.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 04:27 PM
He probably got tons of college tang though.

On the other hand, he's probably taken a paycut since leaving.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Speaking of Tang, do they still make that stuff?

I could go for some of that right now.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
On the other hand, he's probably taken a paycut since leaving.

But he might wind up banging Kim Kardashian.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
But then again, who hasn't banged Kim Kardashian?

Shiver
09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Her "performance" should be taught in class. She has the physical tools and most importantly superb technique.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I like how we have digressed and are now discussing Kim Kardashian as a prospect. Excellent.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I really think she's on ecstasy in her highlight tape.

M.O.T.H.
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
But then again, who hasn't banged Kim Kardashian?

Is there a sign up sheet or something? I havent been given a turn yet.

nepg
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I had Eric Shelton as the #1 RB...

That year, for me, it was:

1. Eric Shelton
2. Marion Barber
3. Brandon Jacobs
4. Cedric Benson
5. Frank Gore

I feel robbed on Shelton, though...the guy just couldn't get healthy enough to compete for a job and went to a team that was already loaded at RB.

hockey619
09-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I had Eric Shelton as the #1 RB...

That year, for me, it was:

1. Eric Shelton
2. Marion Barber
3. Brandon Jacobs
4. Cedric Benson
5. Frank Gore

I feel robbed on Shelton, though...the guy just couldn't get healthy enough to compete for a job and went to a team that was already loaded at RB.

Gores injuries scared me off. I did love McGahee though, like thought he would become one of the greatest ever.

oh well.

hockey619
09-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I like how we have digressed and are now discussing Kim Kardashian as a prospect. Excellent.

You kidding? football terms are perfect for her.

Kim Kardashian
**** (thats four stars numb nuts not a dirty word) first rounder

Pros: she really has all the physical tools you look for, to the point that she looks a little robotic, barbie dollish...proven time and again that she can get the job done...perfect ball placement...two very large upsides...

Cons: constant coaching changes with her makes me think she may have some character concerns...doesnt us her eyes well, never looking for any safety (and youd want it with her)...shes apart of that god forsaken show of hers, so that a serious concern as well...not very good hand placement and too much knee bend when there shouldnt be...with her, you really cant 'miss the hole,' lot of wear on the tires...plays very loose...but those upsides are just too much to say no to.

TitansCJftw
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Jimmy Williams- Did a quick skim through this thread, and surprised that I didn't see his name more. He was mocked as high as #9 to the Lions and I was ecstatic when he fell and the Falcons moved up to get him.

forgot about him i remember thinking he was going to be an absolute stud, absolutely loved him while he was at VT but i fail

21ST
09-03-2010, 05:56 PM

The good think about Laron Landry is that you can clearly see how bad he is on tv, i have never seen a player be in position to make a play and just wiff so many times in my life

Saints-Tigers
09-03-2010, 06:03 PM

I've been crying for TV's to either go for a more madden like camera angle, or film from behind the defense. I hate this side angle, track the ball only stuff. Drew Brees is sexy, but I wanna see everyone, not just focus on him.

hockey619
09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I've been crying for TV's to either go for a more madden like camera angle, or film from behind the defense. I hate this side angle, track the ball only stuff. Drew Brees is sexy, but I wanna see everyone, not just focus on him.

Been calling for this for years too in hockey as well. both sports you cant see crap from the side angle. idk why they dont just give us a good angle its really annoying.

ive heard wild theories like they dont want us to really be able to tell whats going on, which is kinda easy to buy. i mean, how stupid do the announcers sound to us now? imagine if we could actually see the whole picture and all the crap theyre overlooking or oblivious to?

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
It's funny how a lot of my friends are saying Kim Kardashian "fell off" lately. Yeah, she doesn't look as good as she used to, she looks a little worn out lately.

But ****, I'm still hitting that all day every day if I had the chance.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 07:01 PM
I never thought she was overly attractive in the first place. Ill be the first to say her ass is actually too big for my tastes.

Its still funny to joke though...cause well, shes a *****.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 07:09 PM
That booty is just right for me haha :)

stephenson86
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I concur with BBD, he ass is smoking

GB12
09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
That booty is just right for me haha :)

Her sister's (the smaller one, not the man) is better.

BigDawg819
09-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Matt Leinart

No ifs, ands, or buts about it, I thought he was groomed to be the next great QB. Arizona getting him at 10 I thought was an absolute STEAL.

katnip
09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Umm. I guess Jay Cutler. All though his year, I said he'd be the best only out of, Leinart, VY, & Cutler. I think VY can surpass Cutler this year though, playing with CJ.

Not many. I knew Bush would be average for most of his career. Then again I only become a fan of a few prospects each year. I knew/thought D'Brick and Mangold would be good. Loved those 2 picks.

I did like Sinorice Moss. Just cause he's a former 'Cane tho

Hurricanes25
09-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Gores injuries scared me off. I did love McGahee though, like thought he would become one of the greatest ever.

oh well.

I don't want to sound like a homer but if McGahee didn't get hurt, I think the sky was the limit for him.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Umm. I guess Jay Cutler. All though his year, I said he'd be the best only out of, Leinart, VY, & Cutler. I think VY can surpass Cutler this year though, playing with CJ.

Not many. I knew Bush would be average for most of his career. Then again I only become a fan of a few prospects each year. I knew/thought D'Brick and Mangold would be good. Loved those 2 picks.

I did like Sinorice Moss. Just cause he's a former 'Cane tho

I thought D-Brick would have an average NFL career because of how slight his frame was. He really struggled run blocking his first few years, but he's improved and gained weight every season.

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't want to sound like a homer but if McGahee didn't get hurt, I think the sky was the limit for him.

Completely agree, he was the best player in that draft before the injury IMO. And that was a pretty ******* talented draft class.

What is it with U backs and their knees? Edge, Gore, McGahee...all three of them had special, special talent and were basically forced to become power backs because of their injuries. It's a shame.

nepg
09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Completely agree, he was the best player in that draft before the injury IMO. And that was a pretty ******* talented draft class.

What is it with U backs and their knees? Edge, Gore, McGahee...all three of them had special, special talent and were basically forced to become power backs because of their injuries. It's a shame.

Too much weight training.

Complex
09-03-2010, 10:17 PM

yeah I thought Gore was the best out of those 3 guys because of his vision

jballa838
09-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Darren McFadden.

and the lack of JaMarcus is scary since I got flamed everytime I said he'd bust or I'd compare him to Grossman.

GB12
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I never liked Russell. I thought the Raiders should have taken Calvin Johnson number one.

For the Packers in that draft though I really liked Amobi Okoye and didn't think much of Revis or Hall.

Complex
09-03-2010, 10:48 PM
People I was high on but failed me
QBs:
JaMarcus Russell
Matt Leinart
Byron leftwhich(thought he was way better than Carson Palmer)

RBs:
Willis McGhaee
Reggie Bush
Lendale White
Kevin Jones
Maurice Clarett

WR:
Koren Robinson
Marcus Vick yes Marcus Vick
Charles Rogers
Mike Willams
Reggie Willaims
ReShaun Woods (thought he special)
Kelly Washington (thought he way better than Donte Stallworth)
Rod Gardner

TE:
KW2
Ben Troupe

OL:
Robert Gallary
Mx Jean Gillies
Wiston Justice (thought he was better than D'brick)

I only did the offense of side

M.O.T.H.
09-04-2010, 08:02 AM
KW2 is pretty damn good.

Saints-Tigers
09-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I thought Willis was insanely overrated before his injury, and even right after when he was this supposed stud with the Bills.

Matthew Jones
09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Prospects I thought would be good that busted:

2004:

RB Chris Perry (#26 overall, CIN)
WR Rashaun Woods (#31 overall, SF)
DE Marquise Hill (#63 overall, NE)

2005:

WR Mike Williams (#10 overall, DET)
RB JJ Arrington (#44 overall, ARI)
LB Odell Thurman (#48 overall, CIN)

2006:

LB Bobby Carpenter (#18 overall, DAL)
WR Chad Jackson (#36 overall, NE)
WR Derek Hagan (#82 overall, MIA)

2007:

QB JaMarcus Russell (#1 overall, OAK)
DE Adam Carriker (#13 overall, STL)
FS Reggie Nelson (#21 overall, JAX)

2008:

RB Darren McFadden (#4 overall, OAK)
WR James Hardy (#41 overall, BUF)
WR Limas Sweed (#53 overall, PIT)

CameronCropper
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM

No way in hell does Vince Young surpass Jay Cutler this year.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that JC threw a lot of interceptions last year but now the Bears have moved to a Mike Martz offense he's going to be throwing the ball around a lot more than he did last year.

Does that throw quite a few INTs? Yes, but I think his TD:INT ratio will be a lot better than last year.

What happens if/when CJ has an off day? With the game on the line I know which QB I'd rather have back there.

Brown Leader
09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Most glaringly would be Adrian Peterson. I thought he ran too straight-linish and upright, plus the injury history-kept seeing William Green.

Tonui Fonoti. Wtf happened to this guy?

Boss Bailey. I guess i fell in love with the name.

Kevin Burnett. Thought he would be an absolute beast at 43 OLB.

Knowshon Moreno. Expecting a much more explosive little guy, something like A.Bradshaw.

Montario Hardesty. LOVED him coming out but his future career is very much in jeopardy.

Vox Populi
09-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Tonui Fonoti. Wtf happened to this guy?

500 pounds

phlysac
09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
This thread is actually reminding me of some of the arguments I had on various forums that I've ben proven right. The big 4 are probably Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Vernon Gholston, and Darren McFadden. I didn't like any of them coming out.

The players I was very wrong about...

Derrick Johnson
Limas Sweed
Jamaal Anderson - as a 3-4 DE
Michael Huff
DeSean Jackson - Liked him but not in the 1st round.
William Green
Chris Perry
Fred Gibson
Jimmy Williams

and a player yet to be mentioned...

Dre Moore - I had him pegged as 1st round talent as a 3-4 DE.

Shiver
09-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Speaking of Reggie Nelson, now that he has been traded any chance Mike Zimmer breaths new life into his game?

DoughBoy
09-04-2010, 10:33 PM
No way in hell does Vince Young surpass Jay Cutler this year.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that JC threw a lot of interceptions last year but now the Bears have moved to a Mike Martz offense he's going to be throwing the ball around a lot more than he did last year.

Does that throw quite a few INTs? Yes, but I think his TD:INT ratio will be a lot better than last year.

What happens if/when CJ has an off day? With the game on the line I know which QB I'd rather have back there.

WTF? I agree Vince is not the passer Jay Cutler is.. but he is leaps and bounds better than Jay at the end of games.

proshoota25
09-04-2010, 10:34 PM
great thread. i wanted the patriots to draft vernon ghoulston so bad, but im glad our rivals picked him instead, while we ended up with jerod mayo after trading back...

another person i was high on for us was reggie nelson. i was so mad jax drafted him a few spots before our pick. we ended up taking meriweather, and that turned out to be a great pick.

RealityCheck
09-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly. I thought both would be pure sex.

Damn you Redskins for drafting the top WRs in that class but not making good use of them.

TitanHope
09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
With the game on the line I know which QB I'd rather have back there.

WTF? I agree Vince is not the passer Jay Cutler is.. but he is leaps and bounds better than Jay at the end of games.

1afGNVkIGPQLXLq1Vy4llw

I know who I want (and you'll notice how CJ didn't even touch the ball on VY's drive).

K Train
09-04-2010, 11:51 PM
2006:

LB Bobby Carpenter (#18 overall, DAL)
WR Chad Jackson (#36 overall, NE)
WR Derek Hagan (#82 overall, MIA)

2007:

QB JaMarcus Russell (#1 overall, OAK)
DE Adam Carriker (#13 overall, STL)
FS Reggie Nelson (#21 overall, JAX)

damn i literally hated every one of those guys lol

it sucks hating russell likely means quinn made you look like an idiot. it was a no win for QBs that year

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Jay was bad last year, but in Denver it was pretty much a guarantee that if we got the ball back with ~2 minutes to score, Jay was gonna lead us down the field and into scoring position. It was pretty much without exception.

robert pancake gallery
09-05-2010, 12:17 AM
when I heard that marques colston was drafted in the 7th round i started laughing out loud; i thought it was a reach to say the least, but it turns out it was actually a decent pick for the saints

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2010, 12:32 AM

it sucks hating russell likely means quinn made you look like an idiot. it was a no win for QBs that year

Could be worse, I liked Russell and Quinn, though wouldn't have taken either over Johnson and Peterson.

Johnson
Peterson
Russell
Joe Thomas
Patrick Willis
Laron Landry
Brady Quinn

:(

bofadabizzles
09-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I always think of Reidel Fing Anthony and Dropquez Green first. When the Bucs picked those 2 I really thought the offense was gonna be explosive. It still pi$$es me off, they should've been a lot more than what they were.

Go_Eagles77
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM

http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kolb-eagles.jpg

hahaha

senormysterioso
09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I pay most attention to the Packers, so the two that I was most wrong about were Aaron Rodgers and AJ Hawk. I hated Rodgers when he was coming out, I thought he was going to be complete garbage. I was praying that we could trade the pick and get a running back or somebody to help out Favre on offense. We were 10-6 the year before and lost to the Vikings in the first round, so I thought we were close and a developmental QB prospect (who I thought was garbage) would be a terrible pick. I'm happy to say that Ted Thompson is a much better evaluator of talent and the state of the Green Bay Packers than me.

The next year I was praying that one of the four teams ahead of us would take Mario Williams so we wouldn't pick him over AJ Hawk...so I guess I was wrong about Williams too. I didn't like Mario that much but I though Hawk was going to be the best Will in the league from day 1. I'm not ready to give up on Hawk yet, I think he might have somewhat of a break out year this year, but he'll ever perform up to the level that a linebacker picked 5th overall should.

T-RICH49
09-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I thought both Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart would be no worse then solid NFL QB's.thank god I never placed money on that

MetSox17
09-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Freddie Mitchell :/

Larry
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Offense
Matt Leinart
Mike Williams
Reggie Bush
Robbert Gallery
Reggie Williams-thought he was the next T.O

Defense
AJ Hawk
Michael Huff
Reggie Nelson
LaRon Landry
Adam Carriker

CameronCropper
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
1afGNVkIGPQLXLq1Vy4llw

I know who I want (and you'll notice how CJ didn't even touch the ball on VY's drive).

0xw29JFnwaQ

So do I.

I guess we'll see which one of us is right once the season starts.

Shiver
09-05-2010, 01:07 PM
OMG Someone mentioned Rashaun Woods! Good one. This forum was crazy about him. Plus that infamous scouting report that had under weaknesses: basically nothing.. haha.

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Most glaringly would be Adrian Peterson. I thought he ran too straight-linish and upright, plus the injury history-kept seeing William Green.

I'll be honest and tell you why I didn't make the same mistake on Peterson. I had already made it on Deuce McCallister.

He was about 6'1 and 220 coming, and I underestimated how much power he could put behind that by using his burst. Most guys that are 220 power backs are much shorter, 218-220 really isn't that big for 6'1-6'2.

Peterson is obviously faster, but the amount of power generated, the running style, it was quite similar.

LizardState
09-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Chad Henne, played himself into the solid starter for the Fins.

Since Marino retired they have had like 212 QBs there, but it was a real revolving door. I think it stops with Henne.

Draft King
09-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought the Falcons trading up for Jimmy Williams in the 2nd was pretty much the best move ever, back then Falcon fans love former Hokies with the success of Vick and DeAngelo Hall, so I thought Williams was a slam dunk pick. He reminded me alot of Chris McAllister.

I thought Chris Houston in the 2nd was a steal, he was fast as hell and played well in the SEC. The Falcons didn't have a lot of luck with supposed top 10 players that dropped to the 2nd.

I thought Matt Ryan was a Matt Hasselbeck type of player at best. I thought he threw too many picks to be a successful NFL QB.

BucsBlazers34
09-05-2010, 04:18 PM
All these guys I thought would be much better than they are now.

2009:
Aaron Curry
Andre Smith

2008:
Vernon Gholston
Kenny Phillips
Martellus Bennett

2007:
LaRon Landry
Aaron Ross
Justin Blalock

2006:
Michael Huff
Lendale White

21ST
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
im probly the only one that bought all the matt jones hype lol

Shiver
09-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Matt Jones was actually having a breakout season before he got busted with the coke.

Nikolas
09-07-2010, 02:43 AM
The one draft choice that I distinctly remember being 100% wrong was Mario Williams over Vince Young & Reggie Bush. As a Texans fan, I was infuriated that we were sticking with David Carr another year when Vince Young was available. It wasn't that I thought Mario was horrible, I just didn't think he was who we should go with.

jayceheathman
09-07-2010, 03:33 AM
The one draft choice that I distinctly remember being 100% wrong was Mario Williams over Vince Young & Reggie Bush. As a Texans fan, I was infuriated that we were sticking with David Carr another year when Vince Young was available. It wasn't that I thought Mario was horrible, I just didn't think he was who we should go with.

I was one of the few that liked the pick. I remember saying that if we dont pick Bush that we should switch to a 4-3 and draft Mario Williams. Vince Young played the majority of his snaps out of the shotgun and Bush isnt exactly a ZBS runner so it made sense to go with the massive DE instead.

Nikolas
09-07-2010, 04:38 AM
I was one of the few that liked the pick. I remember saying that if we dont pick Bush that we should switch to a 4-3 and draft Mario Williams. Vince Young played the majority of his snaps out of the shotgun and Bush isnt exactly a ZBS runner so it made sense to go with the massive DE instead.

In retrospect, Houston had an amazing draft that year. Mario, DeMeco Ryans, and Owen Daniels were all solid picks. The only way it could have been better is if we had been fortunate enough to take Marques Colston (the steal of that draft).

Addict
09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Brady Quinn (although in my defense JR sucked too!)

Matt Leinart.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Speaking of Reggie Nelson, now that he has been traded any chance Mike Zimmer breaths new life into his game?

You can't fix stupid.

Not only that, but he's probably the worst tackling safety in the NFL. Watching him try to bring down tight ends and running backs in the open field is just disgusting.

katnip
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Limas Sweed.. I used to love showing my non-college football brother his highlight tapes. Saying "Titans and VY need this guy."

Whatever happened to him? Lazy, immature, injury prone???

K Train
09-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Limas Sweed.. I used to love showing my non-college football brother his highlight tapes. Saying "Titans and VY need this guy."

Whatever happened to him? Lazy, immature, injury prone???

not lazy or immature at all, very hard worker and a good team mate.

concentration lapses were his Achilles heel (which he just tore btw, or his patellar tendon i forget )...he had good speed and ran great routes for someone who never ran routes in college since he was a man among boys. he just had some serious dropsies and continually broke my heart. i really think he was poised to have a solid year as a 3rd year pro before he got hurt