PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Housh on the trading block

gpngc
09-02-2010, 04:14 PM
via Rotoworld

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the Seahawks are actively trying to trade T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
Good luck. A poor fit for new OC Jeremy Bates' vertical offense, Housh turns 33 later this month and is due a $7 million base salary. The only way Seattle could move him is if Houshmandzadeh agreed to a pay cut. Surely that's not happening because the $7 million is fully guaranteed. Outside of perhaps St. Louis and Cleveland, the Seahawks' receiver corps is shaping up as one of the weakest in the league. Vincent Jackson should still be in their radar. Sep. 2 - 4:48 pm et

I prayed for the Vikings to get him two years ago. Usually people are hoping for their team to LAND free agents, not to get chosen over... well this is why. One of the worst signings I've ever seen and we all called bust when it was made so it's not surprising it turned out like this... GM Tim Ruskell thought going after the most high profile player of that FA class would save his job even though no one in that class deserved any real money. Ruskell obviously was fired by midseason.

I'd take a 5th, but would prefer a 4th. His contract is huge and he's old. Terribly stupid signing... wow.

Ask the Chargers if they'd take him and a pick for V-Jax.

Bengals can't use him. Steelers won't pay him. Dolphins? Skins? Vikes?

abaddon41_80
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Even though he obviously doesn't fit, and was slightly overrated when he was a free agent, Housh is still by far their best offensive weapon. I hope they do trade him.

San Diego Chicken
09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't know. If he's a bad fit for their offense he'd probably be a bad fit in San Diego too.

Shane P. Hallam
09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Even though he obviously doesn't fit, and was slightly overrated when he was a free agent, Housh is still by far their best offensive weapon. I hope they do trade him.

I think their best offensive weapon is John Carlson myself...

yo123
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
hahahahahaha. Good choice TJ.

CC.SD
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I think their best offensive weapon is John Carlson myself...

I'm Team Forsett

gpngc
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Leon Washington is the best weapon and they Seahawks actually have more receivers (and prospects) than people realize. Losing Housh would not hurt this team and would allow Golden Tate to learn on the job, which is the best way to develop.

abaddon41_80
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I do love me some Golden Tate.

gpngc
09-02-2010, 05:00 PM
UPDATE

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, it's "believed" the Seahawks are trying to part with T.J. Houshmandzadeh in an effort to clear salary space for Vincent Jackson.
It's an honorable idea. The Seahawks are highly unlikely to find a trade partner for Houshmandzadeh, but theoretically could release the declining veteran to get the rest of his contract off the books. They'd still be on the hook for Housh's $7 million guaranteed salary, of course, but Seattle owner Paul Allen has deep pockets. If he wants a better chance to win, he'll do it.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Related: Seahawks

So maybe it's possible that SD and SEA have worked out compensation for V-Jax (and most likely a new contract) and the Hawks are trying to keep everything tight-lipped so that other teams don't realize they are just going to release Housh anyway.

Paul Allen would likely take the hit in this uncapped year.

It's a good move, but why the **** did they wait this long to think of it? Now Jackson would come in with no experience with Hasselbeck in week one.

Did they just realize last week that Housh wasn't that good? ****.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM

I highly doubt he's their best offensive weapons. He's been overrated for a very long time now and I always got a good laugh out of people acting like he was the better WR in Cincy even though he never saw a single double team. His numbers were below average last year, and I think John Carlson, Golden Tate, hell even Mike Williams would be better options this year.

TJ isn't a bad 1st down guy, but in terms of what I consider a "weapon", it's not a slow 33 year old WR whose been averaging 10 yards per catch since 2007.

Nalej
09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I hope he gets traded.
My WR bench is weak. I'll scoop G.Tate right up!

steelersfan43
09-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm Team Forsett

DUDE THANK YOU

God forsett is by far the best ******* running back on the team.

2009 SEA 16Games 114 attempts 619 yards 5.4 average 4TDS

The guys averaging 5.4 per carry get him the damn football

he also had 41Rec 350Yards

He has so much more heart then anyone else on that team, hopefully pete will see that and get that kid his shot.

General Zod
09-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Exactly. lol

And him going to Seattle prompted us even more to draft Harvin that offseason.

So thanks TJ!

Shahin
09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm Team Forsett

hell yeah. was pissed that the seahawks got him :/

steelersfan43
09-02-2010, 07:40 PM
hell yeah. was pissed that the seahawks got him :/

Seahawks drafted him, then cut him. Then the colts signed him and then cut him. Then the seahawks resigned him.. not like you didnt have a shot at it lol

thenewfeature06
09-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Housh would be welcomed in Oakland..DHB is improving but a veteran would be great.

XxXdragonXxX
09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Would be great if he was traded to clear room for Jackson....

6'5" Vincent Jackson and 6'5" Mike Williams on the outside, with 6'5" John Carlson at TE.....I'm down.

vikes_28
09-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I know the vikings aren't interested. Even though we Rice is out for six weeks. We still have Harvin and Berrian. Plus we signed Walker and traded Benny Sapp for Greg Camarillo. We have plenty of depth at WR. No need for a washed up, overpaid WR.

TitanHope
09-02-2010, 10:36 PM
6'5" Vincent Jackson and 6'5" Mike Williams on the outside, with 6'5" John Carlson at TE.....I'm down.

That method worked well for Jacksonville...wait.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Remember when he was better than Ocho Cinco? LOL

yo123
09-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Would be great if he was traded to clear room for Jackson....

I'm 6'5 can I play too because I'm pretty much just as talented as Mike Williams.

XxXdragonXxX
09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm 6'5 can I play too because I'm pretty much just as talented as Mike Williams.

I'm gonna have to revisit this post later this year.

Shahin
09-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Seahawks drafted him, then cut him. Then the colts signed him and then cut him. Then the seahawks resigned him.. not like you didnt have a shot at it lol

yeah, just a guy i wish a team i liked picked up. guess i can say that about a lot of players, though.

yo123
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm gonna have to revisit this post later this year.

I'll bookmark it for you. He's useless.

XxXdragonXxX
09-02-2010, 10:58 PM
That method worked well for Jacksonville...wait.

Works better if your receivers aren't Matt Jones and Reggie Williams....

gpngc
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Mike Williams is useless based on what exactly?

What occurred 3 years ago when he was 270 pounds means nothing now.

He's in shape and has been nothing short of awesome with the team this entire training camp and is entrenched as the #3 (assuming Housh is not cut or traded) WR in front of Butler and Tate.

yo123
09-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Mike Williams is useless based on what exactly?

What occurred 3 years ago when he was 270 pounds means nothing now.

He's in shape and has been nothing short of awesome with the team this entire training camp and is entrenched as the #3 (assuming Housh is not cut or traded) WR in front of Butler and Tate.

I like that you conveniently left out how worthless he was in Detroit before he was 270 pounds.

gpngc
09-02-2010, 11:28 PM
4 years ago, as a rookie - after a year off.

He's already admitted that he didn't work at all with that team, which was a complete disaster zone as well.

If you don't think someone can resurrect their career (like Cedric Benson did) then that's fine, but the fact is we're projecting "usefullness" based on what we've actually seen.

You are just commenting on someone who you last saw play football 4 years ago.

My guess is he'll contribute to the tune of 40+ catches, 600ish yards, and 3 or 4 touchdowns. If that's useless by your standards, then that's fine.

XxXdragonXxX
09-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I like that you conveniently left out how worthless he was in Detroit before he was 270 pounds.

He was fat when he reported to camp as a rookie. The only time he was anywhere near in shape was with the Titans, where he eventually got down to 242 after reporting to camp at 271.

yo123
09-02-2010, 11:45 PM
4 years ago, as a rookie - after a year off.

He's already admitted that he didn't work at all with that team, which was a complete disaster zone as well.

If you don't think someone can resurrect their career (like Cedric Benson did) then that's fine, but the fact is we're projecting "usefullness" based on what we've actually seen.

You are just commenting on someone who you last saw play football 4 years ago.

My guess is he'll contribute to the tune of 40+ catches, 600ish yards, and 3 or 4 touchdowns. If that's useless by your standards, then that's fine.

You keep making my point for me. He's barely played for 4 years. Has accomplished absolutely nothing at the pro level. Yet he's supposed to miraculously contribute something worthwhile because he lost some weight?

The fact that your calling me out for making baseless claims is pretty hilarious being that you're basing yours on the fact that he's looked pretty good in one preseason.

XxXdragonXxX
09-03-2010, 12:00 AM
In shape for the first time in his NFL career.

Trying for the first time in his NFL career.

Looking "pretty good" for the first time in his NFL career.

Like I said, we'll revisit this later in the season.

gpngc
09-03-2010, 12:23 AM
You keep making my point for me. He's barely played for 4 years. Has accomplished absolutely nothing at the pro level. Yet he's supposed to miraculously contribute something worthwhile because he lost some weight?

The fact that your calling me out for making baseless claims is pretty hilarious being that you're basing yours on the fact that he's looked pretty good in one preseason.

Accomplished nothing at the pro level means absolutely nothing. He is a new player right now. Think Cedric Benson.

He hasn't barely played for four years. He's been playing and working out extensively for the past 5 months... this is a fact.

basing yours on the fact that he's looked pretty good in one preseason. - Exactly. I'm basing my point of view on a relevant FACT, as you just said.

You on the other hand are making a claim based on facts from four years ago.

You can discount preseason, but for a player in this situation it is extremely telling for him to have some success. Beating NFL DBs and making grabs with your starting QB in live action does count for something, ESPECIALLY for someone who has NEVER shown that at the NFL level before AND is coming back from a long hiatus.

Like Dragon said, we'll re-visit this.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
The thing about Cedric Benson and his career revival is that he has actually done it. Check back with me after the season if Mike Williams produces like this all year long.

Don't get me wrong, I have alot of sympathy for the guy. He was royally screwed by the NCAA and their ******** bureaucracy, but at the same time he has accomplished NOTHING on the NFL. I'm not saying he can't, but its going to take alot more then some successful preseason games to show that he can. Like I said, check back after the regular season and we will see then.

yo123
09-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Accomplished nothing at the pro level means absolutely nothing. He is a new player right now. Think Cedric Benson.

Ugh. This is where I stop. I don't know how you just typed that first sentence without thinking "Wait. Maybe what I'm saying makes absolutely zero sense and I should just stop right here."

Why is he a new player? Because he lost some weight? Do you have any idea how many players do that every offseason with no results because they already suck? Preseason is worthless. You can try to spin that in any way you want but the fact is that it's not a worthwhile thing to look at when projecting future success.

gpngc
09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Cedric Benson is mentioned as proof that a career revival in today's NFL is plausible.

He hasn't accomplished anything yet aside from rising up the Seahawks depth chart but that doesn't mean he can't accomplish anything this season.

We will see.

gpngc
09-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Ugh. This is where I stop. I don't know how you just typed that first sentence without thinking "Wait. Maybe what I'm saying makes absolutely zero sense and I should just stop right here."

What happened in the past means nothing in terms of what he'll do right now. We are telling you he is changed, mostly based on observation (performance) and fact (weight loss).

If you don't believe he can improve after working at his craft then you must not think any player can revive their career or develop at all. If you think the weight-loss and subsequent quickness-gain doesn't mean anything then you are wrong.

If you think he's just not a good football player and never liked him out of college and feel that his talent level is something that could never be molded on the NFL level then that is an interesting opinion...

MidwayMonster31
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Cedric Benson didn't give a damn until the Bears cut him and he ended up with the Bengals. After that, he actually worked hard and played up to his talent.
Mike Williams also has the talent to be good. So far, he has done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt, bouncing around three (?) different camps and being a massive (literally) bust for the Lions. He might be playing well in the preseason, but the real games haven't started yet. If he can play up to his talent this year, more power to him, but I'm not ready to believe it yet.
As far as Housh goes, I don't see anyone wanting to take on his contract. We all knew he was overpayed the second that signing was made.

LonghornsLegend
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
It depends on how good you guys are arguing MW is gonna end up being. I think he can win a starting spot, and maybe play up to the level of where Reggie Williams was a few years ago, which isn't anything special but certainly a big leap for Williams. I don't know that he's gonna turn into a double digit TD guy, but anything is possible especially for a guy who scored a ridiculous amount of TD's in his short college career.

I certainly think he's gonna amount to something this year, but I really don't expect him to be that special player people thought when he was coming out. That's probably long gone.

gpngc
09-03-2010, 01:12 AM
^ He said "useless". What you described is what I'd consider a useful player...

I don't think the entire receiving corps on that team can eclipse double-digit touchdowns... they have no left tackle, a weak running-game and below average QBs...

OzTitan
09-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Mike W may finally come good, but the same positve things were said basically every offseason he's had.

Splat
09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Despite no apparent interest from Bengals, Houshmandzadeh wants to come back (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/04/despite-no-apparent-interest-from-bengals-houshmandzadeh-wants-to-come-back/)

Four teams reportedly show early interest in T.J. Houshmandzadeh (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/04/four-teams-show-early-interest-in-tj-houshmandzadeh/)

Saints-Tigers
09-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Mike W may finally come good, but the same positve things were said basically every offseason he's had.

Even though it's preseason, this is teh first year he actually looked good on the field.

Splat
09-04-2010, 12:35 PM
There is a Mike Williams thread.

T-RICH49
09-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd like to see Pioli make a call

Splat
09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see Pioli make a call

No No No.

Where would he fit?

He is no better then Chambers at this point and he is not a slot guy, plus he is 33 and a "me" player he wouldn't fit in at all.

Bengals78
09-04-2010, 01:04 PM
HAHA. He wants back? After what he said as he left? HAHA

Babylon
09-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Works better if your receivers aren't Matt Jones and Reggie Williams....

I think Matt jones brings more to the table than Housh, assuming he's sober.

Bengals78
09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I think Matt jones brings more to the table than Housh, assuming he's sober.

http://http.cdnlayer.com/itke/blogs.dir/96/files/2009/06/lee-corso.jpg

Staying high worked for LT!

RaiderNation
09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
TJ would be perfect in Oakland. He is the vet WR we need and a go to guy for Campbell, while DHB and Murphy can stretch the field. Hue Jackson was his WR's coach with the Bengals and hopefully they can make a good connection and he signs with us

Babylon
09-04-2010, 01:32 PM
TJ would be perfect in Oakland. He is the vet WR we need and a go to guy for Campbell, while DHB and Murphy can stretch the field. Hue Jackson was his WR's coach with the Bengals and hopefully they can make a good connection and he signs with us

Why do you think Seattle is trying to get rid of him?

RaiderNation
09-04-2010, 01:34 PM
TJ>DHB and Murphy as go to guys

Scotty D
09-04-2010, 01:34 PM
http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/statuses/22993891290

TJ Houshmandzadeh cut

djp
09-04-2010, 01:39 PM
This is a no-brainer for the Vikings right now. He even went as far as to say he would have signed here if Favre was the quarterback when he was a UFA. 79 catches last year, too, it wasn't like he was horribly unproductive.

bigbluedefense
09-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I think he goes to Washington.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 01:53 PM
http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/statuses/22993891290

TJ Houshmandzadeh cut

Pete's cleaning house it seems. Problem is there isnt a whole lot behind Housh but i wont miss him, he seemed to lose the heart to go after the football.

Splat
09-04-2010, 02:38 PM
TJ > DHB

Me > DHB

Bengals78
09-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Me > DHB

But for so many different reasons....

Ness
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Houshmandzadeh gets the boot, but Branch is still on the team and going to be one of the starting receivers come opening day. o.O

yo123
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
A bunch of writers on my twitter are saying the Vikings may have signed Housh and cut Javon Walker.

Jvig43
09-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Houshmandzadeh gets the boot, but Branch is still on the team and going to be one of the starting receivers come opening day. o.O

Yeah maybe their just to stubborn to show they got robbed of a first round pick.

Splat
09-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah maybe their just to stubborn to show they got robbed of a first round pick.

To tell you the truth I liked the move for Seattle at the time.

RaiderNation
09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Reports saying he was signed but still no 100% for sure source

MidwayMonster31
09-04-2010, 04:57 PM
A bunch of writers on my twitter are saying the Vikings may have signed Housh and cut Javon Walker.That makes sense for the Vikings. They need to make up for Sidney Rice's injury. Camarillo and Housh will be able to help give Berrian and Harvin more space by getting the shorter passes.

vikes_28
09-05-2010, 11:46 AM
A bunch of writers on my twitter are saying the Vikings may have signed Housh and cut Javon Walker.

See, I don't like this. I would have liked to see what Javon Walker can do. I wanted Housh last year, and I do not want him in a Vikings uniform this year.

MetSox17
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Anyone else find it kinda funny how the Patriots got a first round pick for Deion Branch, yet they traded only a fourth for Randy ******* Moss? :/

vikes_28
09-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Anyone else find it kinda funny how the Patriots got a first round pick for Deion Branch, yet they traded only a fourth for Randy ******* Moss? :/

The Patriots are scum.

Jvig43
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
The Patriots are scum.

:( I disagree

Nalej
09-05-2010, 12:21 PM
haha hate hate hate

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Whoseyourmama to the Ravens

Giantsfan1080
09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Ravens offense is going to be damn good.

A Perfect Score
09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I wonder who ends up starting, him or Mason. Should be interesting. Housh is probably a better fit outside if we want to move Mason down into the slot...could be a pretty damn good offense.

XxXdragonXxX
09-07-2010, 01:41 AM

Well, I would say since it's a completely different GM, coach, team president...etc....That would be a no.

I think Housh just wasn't buying into the competition theme that Carroll has been playing up, and Branch was.

gpngc
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM

10 for 123 and a big fat W

Useless I tell you!

P-L
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
What is with the Mike Williams love fest on this board? I've never seen a fan base overreact so much to one game. You guys do realize that prior to this week he was averaging 34 yards per game and still hasn't scored, right? If he does it again... and again... and again, then be excited and shove it back in people's faces.

gpngc
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
^The quote the poster used was "useless".

No one ever said Mike Williams would be great - we just argued about whether or not he'd be useless.

After last week, it is clear that he is not "useless".

Hence, crow. Eat.

Jvig43
10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Rex Grossman proved he wasnt useless in one game once, man I wish I jumped around shoving that game down peoples throats.

Jvig43
10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
To add after your comment per rep gnpc, yes my post was a useless reply to a useless post. Almost anyone can have a good game in the NFL, listen to P-l man. If he has an awesome season, fine tell people to eat crow. Dont go about looking like an ass rubbing it peoples faces when he had one good game against the Browns.

gpngc
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
To add after your comment per rep gnpc, yes my post was a useless reply to a useless post. Almost anyone can have a good game in the NFL, listen to P-l man. If he has an awesome season, fine tell people to eat crow. Dont go about looking like an ass rubbing it peoples faces when he had one good game against the Browns.

A "useless" player would not have a good game.

A "useless" player would not have 21 catches for 230 yards and 14 first downs.

A "useless" player would have 2 catches for 20 yards and 0 first downs.

First downs are useful. Yards are useful too.

He was very useful in the game yesterday, as anyone who watched it could attest to.

The only thing I'm doing is responding to someone who called him useless, by using yesterday's game as evidence that he is indeed not useless. I'm saying nothing more, nothing less. I'm not even saying he's good - I'm saying he's clearly not useless. I don't think that's even debatable.

niel89
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah! Eat crow. He has finally become that dynamic playmaker that he was destined to be. Canton get ready for the BMW to come to town .

It was one game for a player that its amazing he is still in the league. I hope he succeeds and he is showing that he isn't done yet and isn't completely worthless.