PDA

View Full Version : Goodell reduces Roethlisberger's suspension to four games

Splat
09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Roger Goodell reduces Ben Roethlisberger's suspension to four games (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/03/roger-goodell-reduces-ben-roethlisbergers-suspension-to-four-games/)

As expected, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has reduced Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1181)'s suspension to four games.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network was the first to report that Goodell reduced the suspension (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a3eb23/article/big-bens-suspension-cut-to-four-games-set-to-play-oct-17-vs-browns?module=breaking_news), after Roethlisberger met with Goodell today. The NFL confirmed that the suspension will be four games.

Shiver
09-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I know he probably did, but come on, what kind of a league is this that suspends a guy for something he didn't even get charged with?

Hines
09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, let's suspend Young, Rogers, Mauluga, and Benson now. This is ********.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Goodell's punishments have nothing to do with the crime itself.

It has everything to do with how much publicity your crime or accusation receives. He's a politician of sorts.

You could do nothing, but get a ton of bad media for it, and he'll lay the hammer down on ya. You could actually commit a crime, and no one will broadcast it much, and he'll sweep it under the rug.

Goodell is all about public perception.

Nalej
09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Exactly. It's negative publicity for the league... that's why he suspends them

Shiver
09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Which is BS. The NFLPA needs to really stick up for its players in the new CBA. There is no way that the commissioner should have that kind of authority and discretion. Not only that, but he is the one who the players have to talk to to get an appeal! Judge, Jury, Executioner all in one.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah it is BS. I do like a lot of things that Goodell does, as I feel he's a very progressive commisioner, but sometimes I do feel he has too much power.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Being seriously accused of rape and having the judge come out and say he wished he could convict you is a hell of a lot different then punching someone in a bar fight. I'm sorry, but thats an absolutely ******** comparison.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I do feel Ben did do it, the evidence against him is pretty damning, but I'm just saying in general, Goodell is unfair with his punishments.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't say unfair, but he's erratic. I think he handles each case individually with no regard to precedent, which is unusual to many of us since most justice systems we are familiar with are based on systems that rely heavily on precedent. Regardless, I just think its stupid to compare VY punching someone in a bar, which I guarantee 90% of NFL players have done, to Ben raping some girl and almost being convicted. For me, there is a colossal difference in the nature of both those crimes, and one deserves a suspension and one doesnt.

wonderbredd24
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
If Roethlisberger was doing anything else for a living, he would've been fired.

4 games of 1 season is an extremely light punishment

yourfavestoner
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Which is BS. The NFLPA needs to really stick up for its players in the new CBA. There is no way that the commissioner should have that kind of authority and discretion. Not only that, but he is the one who the players have to talk to to get an appeal! Judge, Jury, Executioner all in one.

I said this would happen the second the new personal conduct policy was announced. Every move he makes is 100% dictated by PR and image, logic and precedence are not factors, as I predicted.

Pacman Jones ruined things for the common NFL player and Michael Vick ruined it for the star players.

Smooth Criminal
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't say unfair, but he's erratic. I think he handles each case individually with no regard to precedent, which is unusual to many of us since most justice systems we are familiar with are based on systems that rely heavily on precedent. Regardless, I just think its stupid to compare VY punching someone in a bar, which I guarantee 90% of NFL players have done, to Ben raping some girl and almost being convicted. For me, there is a colossal difference in the nature of both those crimes, and one deserves a suspension and one doesnt.

Almost got convicted? He didn't even get charged or arrested.

Not that I agree with the notion that young should be suspended, but to say Ben almost got convicted is just plain wrong.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
The judge in the case was quoted as saying that he wished he could convict Ben, as the evidence was fairly damning. I'll go back and read the actual thread and find the article if I have to, because the actual hangup is eluding me right now, but there was very little doubt as to whether he actually did it. Regardless, the circumstances and the nature of the accusations are a hell of a lot more serious then punching someone in a bar fight, at least if you ask me.

Hines
09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with Big Ben getting suspended, but I do think it's a little harsh considering he never got charged or arrested. The VY thing is meh, because a bar fight is whatever. But Shaun Rogers, Ray Malauga, and Cedric Benson going on their what, 3rd? offense and yet they get a slap on the wrist? I don't care who the player is. If they get arrested and/or charged, they should get suspended just as much as Ben has. That's where I have a problem.

BigDawg819
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Once is an accident, twice is the start of a trend.

Ben brought this on himself, his arrogant and disruptive off the field actions got him in trouble 2 straight years and frankly he warranted the suspension. Politics aside, Goodell had to make an example of him and to Ben's credit he cleaned up and did more then what was required of him.

Hines
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Once is an accident, twice is the start of a trend.

Ben brought this on himself, his arrogant and disruptive off the field actions got him in trouble 2 straight years and frankly he warranted the suspension. Politics aside, Goodell had to make an example of him and to Ben's credit he cleaned up and did more then what was required of him.

See, I agree with this. He should be suspended for his dumbassness, not the crime he didn't comitt(allegedlly, I may add). 2 games seems fair if other players are getting off easy for crimes they get commited for.

J-Mike88
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
what are the steelers doing these days to satisfy big ben's johnson and make sure no more of these rapes or allegations surface?
the tiger woods route? (none of those hundreds of ho's accused woods of rape).

it's hard to trust women. many are gold diggers, and ben has earned himself a reputation that makes him an easy, and vulnerable target going forward.

BigDawg819
09-03-2010, 01:56 PM
See, I agree with this. He should be suspended for his dumbassness, not the crime he didn't comitt(allegedlly, I may add). 2 games seems fair if other players are getting off easy for crimes they get commited for.

You need to stop looking at everyone else and just focus solely on Ben's rap sheet so to speak. 2 consecutive offseasons, 2 highly publicized sexual misconduct allegations. That merits his suspension for however many games its going to be, and frankly he's fortunate not to be facing criminal charges so the suspension should be the least of his concern. I get it, Steeler fans want their QB back ASAP well maybe they should direct that sentiment to their idiotic QB who can't seem to treat women with dignity and respect instead treats them as objects.

Goodell is not the bad guy in this scenario and people need to stop making him out to be the dark knight. Ben did this to Ben. Roger was and is just protecting the shield.

Smooth Criminal
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd love to see any quote from a judge, because It's complete misconduct for a judge to want to convict someone before a trial.

And if it was so definite and evidence so damning, he'd have been charged. He wasn't because it was his word against hers, and she's not reliable at all. The case would have been a toss up at best because there was no evidence at all.

Hines
09-03-2010, 02:04 PM
You need to stop looking at everyone else and just focus solely on Ben's rap sheet so to speak. 2 consecutive offseasons, 2 highly publicized sexual misconduct allegations. That merits his suspension for however many games its going to be, and frankly he's fortunate not to be facing criminal charges so the suspension should be the least of his concern. I get it, Steeler fans want their QB back ASAP well maybe they should direct that sentiment to their idiotic QB who can't seem to treat women with dignity and respect instead treats them as objects.

Goodell is not the bad guy in this scenario and people need to stop making him out to be the dark knight. Ben did this to Ben. Roger was and is just protecting the shield.

But with Rodger wanting to be consistant, he sure isn't. Yeah it's all Ben's fault. Everyone agrees with that. All I'm saying is that if Rodger wants to be consistant and go by the double standard rule, he needs to start doing it. Not just giving other player's slaps on the wrist. Hopefully this will open up Ben's eyes and he'll learn his lesson and never do this again, but you never know. If it was Ray Lewis, I'd be doing the same thing. It's just not a Steeler thing if anyone is going to accuse me for that.

niel89
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm glad he kept it at 4 game, 3 and he would have been back for the Ravens game

CJSchneider
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Dennis Dixon likes this.

Hines
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Dennis Dixon likes this.

He should be liking Leftwich going down more.

BigDawg819
09-03-2010, 02:23 PM
But with Rodger wanting to be consistant, he sure isn't. Yeah it's all Ben's fault. Everyone agrees with that. All I'm saying is that if Rodger wants to be consistant and go by the double standard rule, he needs to start doing it. Not just giving other player's slaps on the wrist. Hopefully this will open up Ben's eyes and he'll learn his lesson and never do this again, but you never know. If it was Ray Lewis, I'd be doing the same thing. It's just not a Steeler thing if anyone is going to accuse me for that.

First I wasn't saying you were being a "homer", I was merely stating that Steeler fans need to channel any negative feelings onto Ben so he realizes he needs to grow up.

Secondly, Goodell can't be consist in these suspensions because he is taking every infraction on a case by case basis. That being being said, Ben's file has more paper so naturally he's not going to get a slap on the wrist with this being his 2nd time.

Hines
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
First I wasn't saying you were being a "homer", I was merely stating that Steeler fans need to channel any negative feelings onto Ben so he realizes he needs to grow up.

Secondly, Goodell can't be consist in these suspensions because he is taking every infraction on a case by case basis. That being being said, Ben's file has more paper so naturally he's not going to get a slap on the wrist with this being his 2nd time.

I know you didn't call me a homer, but I know some people will start claiming me to be a homer because I think the suspension is ********.

Shahin
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I ******* hate Goodell. If Roethlisberger had a darker skin tone he'd be out for the season.

BigDawg819
I know you didn't call me a homer, but I know some people will start claiming me to be a homer because I think the suspension is ********.

Well of course, he's on your team and this frankly could ruin your teams whole season.

Just as my being in favor of the suspension could be used against me seeing as its a star player on my team's biggest rival.

Frankly I feel Roger, while being a bit heavy handed at times, is cleaning up the image of the league and not letting the players run rampant with indiscretions. They need to realize that while they're fame and popularity can keep them from the letter of the legal system, its not going to slide in their own house.

Smooth Criminal
The only reason ben got suspended was cause of the massive media coverage. If all the other guys would have gotten near the attention they'd be suspended too.

Sex sells, and ESPN sold Goodell on a suspension.

BigDawg819
I ******* hate Goodell. If Roethlisberger had a darker skin tone he'd be out for the season.

I'm actually shocked it took to the 2nd page before racism was brought up. Its a sad state of affairs that this train is never late.....

FlyingElvis
09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
As predicted by anyone and everyone even remotely associated with Football.

Hines
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Well of course, he's on your team and this frankly could ruin your teams whole season.

Just as my being in favor of the suspension could be used against me seeing as its a star player on my team's biggest rival.

Frankly I feel Roger, while being a bit heavy handed at times, is cleaning up the image of the league and not letting the players run rampant with indiscretions. They need to realize that while they're fame and popularity can keep them from the letter of the legal system, its not going to slide in their own house.

Cleaning up the league would punish all the convicted crimes other players come up with. Yeah rape>>>>DUI, carrying gun in airport, assulting in a club, but they're still crimes that should get punished for. It don't matter if they aren't really as well known as Big Ben, it's just showing kids it's ok to get charged with a crime, and not do anything about it. That's just my opinion. But I do agree with you.

The only reason ben got suspended was cause of the massive media coverage. If all the other guys would have gotten near the attention they'd be suspended too.

Sex sells, and ESPN sold Goodell on a suspension.

I agree with this a lot.

LizardState
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Goodell's punishments have nothing to do with the crime itself.

It has everything to do with how much publicity your crime or accusation receives. He's a politician of sorts.

You could do nothing, but get a ton of bad media for it, and he'll lay the hammer down on ya. You could actually commit a crime, and no one will broadcast it much, and he'll sweep it under the rug.

Goodell is all about public perception.

He's the son of a Senator from NY, many say about Commissioner Goodell that he's a son of something else :-). But maybe the a-hole didnt fall too far from the tree.

This is just me but b/c it was his 2nd offense in 2 offseasons he should have been suspended for the yr. And I think Federal criminal Vick should never have been allowed back in the NFL.

Babylon
09-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Seattle LB Leroy Hill, who was black the last time i looked, got one game for admitting to punching his live-in girlfriend. Had he been a high profile QB it looks like he would have gotten much more.

Shiver
09-03-2010, 03:54 PM
The evidence was "damning," oh wow, then why wasn't he charged? Seriously that is a really stupid thing to say. He may have done it, he may not have, but they have next to zero evidence so he didn't even get charged with a crime. Basically Roethlisberger got suspended on innuendo. It's like the poor Duke Lacrosse team, only they were actually charged.

P-L
09-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Which explains perfectly why Cedric Benson and Vince Young got no suspensions handed out to them. Let's think before we speak.

CC.SD
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
2 games per rape=bargain

bigbluedefense
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
The evidence was "damning," oh wow, then why wasn't he charged? Seriously that is a really stupid thing to say. He may have done it, he may not have, but they have next to zero evidence so he didn't even get charged with a crime. Basically Roethlisberger got suspended on innuendo. It's like the poor Duke Lacrosse team, only they were actually charged.

Ben's case is actually similar to all the accusations against Lance Armstrong. Both have no concrete evidence according to the law, but if you read between the lines, the evidence is there and its obvious.

Ben and his pose went through great lengths to cover up what happened that night. An innocent man doesn't need to cover up anything.

hockey619
09-03-2010, 05:54 PM
i was against the suspension.

just put him in a big boy jail for a couple of nights. boom lesson learned.

this doesnt even everything out though, he doesnt have to listen to his rapist's half hearted apology while he smiles and walks back to his millions of dollars.

Bengalsrz
09-03-2010, 05:55 PM
2 games per rape=bargain

LMAO. I think he'll be back for more at these rates.

A Perfect Score
09-03-2010, 07:26 PM
You have to wonder though...he must really be a giant ******* douchebag to not be able to get laid as an NFL QB. I mean, he can practically walk into a bar and take home 90% of the girls in there...but he resorts to rape? The guy must have no game whatsoever.

Mr.Regular
09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
You have to wonder though...he must really be a giant ******* douchebag to not be able to get laid as an NFL QB. I mean, he can practically walk into a bar and take home 90% of the girls in there...but he resorts to rape? The guy must have no game whatsoever.
Though he is a stupidly rich professional quarterback, he is pretty damn ugly to be fair.

Shahin
09-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Which explains perfectly why Cedric Benson and Vince Young got no suspensions handed out to them. Let's think before we speak.

This isn't really anything to get all uppity about but, let's think about it for a second, then. Cedric Benson and Vince Young got into fights at a bar and nightclub, respectively. Ben Roethlisberger raped some ***** at a nightclub.

Who the hell hasn't gotten into an altercation of some sort at a bar? Damn near everybody. Nobody deserves to be suspended for getting into a fight at a bar or club. Goodell probably just saw it as two black dudes getting crazy at a function, and didn't think twice about it. If this one John Henderson's big ass sexually assaulting some girl at a club, he'd damn sure be suspended for more than 4 games.