PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallet vs Jake Locker

dregolll
09-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Let me start by saying that this draft is loaded with great yoong future NFL QBs and I am looking forward to the 2011 draft. Now to the topic at hand. I guess this debate could end up like Manning vs Leaf or Bledsoe vs Mirer, but I think when all the smoke clears Ryan Mallett is going to blow Jake Locker out of the water as the ultimate QB prospect and be the #1 overall pick. Mallet has everything you look for in an elite QB prospect.

He has the size, outstanding arm strength, and the mobility to get the job done at the next level. The guy can just flatout sling the football around the football field. He trumps Locker in every category except for straight line speed. Locker in my opinion is very, very, overrated and overhyped. I hear some of you guys mentioning him as one of the best QB prospect over the past 10-12 years. He just does not stand out to me like Matthew Stafford or Micheal Vick or Carson Palmer.

I guess all this hype originated from him beating a decimated USC team at home and then all of a sudden he is the greatest QB. If he is so great, he should have atleast been to 1 bowl game by now. The funny thing is that the same people that build Locker up and make excuses for him for not winning enough are the same ones that tore Jimmy Clausen down for not winning at ND. I guarantee that eveyone will be on the Mallett bandwagon by the end of the football season. He will go #1 overall.

hockey619
09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Let me start by saying that this draft is loaded with great yoong future NFL QBs and I am looking forward to the 2011 draft. Now to the topic at hand. I guess this debate could end up like Manning vs Leaf or Bledsoe vs Mirer, but I think when all the smoke clears Ryan Mallett is going to blow Jake Locker out of the water as the ultimate QB prospect and be the #1 overall pick. Mallet has everything you look for in an elite QB prospect.

He has the size, outstanding arm strength, and the mobility to get the job done at the next level. The guy can just flatout sling the football around the football field. He trumps Locker in every category except for straight line speed. Locker in my opinion is very, very, overrated and overhyped. I hear some of you guys mentioning him as one of the best QB prospect over the past 10-12 years. He just does not stand out to me like Matthew Stafford or Micheal Vick or Carson Palmer.

I guess all this hype originated from him beating a decimated USC team at home and then all of a sudden he is the greatest QB. If he is so great, he should have atleast been to 1 bowl game by now. The funny thing is that the same people that build Locker up and make excuses for him for not winning enough are the same ones that tore Jimmy Clausen down for not winning at ND. I guarantee that eveyone will be on the Mallett bandwagon by the end of the football season. He will go #1 overall.

False! Ive been on Locker since he was a freshman gettin his *** handed to him. His accuracy is definitely better than Mallett's too btw.

That said, i think Mallett is probably the guy that goes first, especially if he fixes his consistency issues.

oh and i hate the 'he woulda made a bowl game if he was good' argument. his team his freshman year was abysmal. like out of control bad. this aint like the nfl where their is very little talent disparity from team to team and a QB can be the deciding factor. his team was completely outclassed on a weekly basis. last year was the first time they were decent, but theyre still growing. teams make and win bowl games. individuals do not.

This'll be a good race all year. I like Locker more and have for a while as mentioned before but im warming up to Mallett slowly. little gunshy though after I loved Russell and his tools so much...whole lot of good that did him.

Babylon
09-03-2010, 06:35 PM

The problem i have with your argument is you feel the need to falsely dog the other guy to make your guy look good. Why cant they both be good pro prospects? Both guys are a good size, have good accuracy and the arms to be pro bowl QBs. You sort of lost me when you talked about Mallett blowing Locker out of the water but have it and convince the Bills to take Mallett whille you're at it. (that from a Seahawks fan)

Ballbright
09-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Ugh....the Ryan Mallett isn't accurate fallacy...

Mallett is very accurate, hence the low number of interceptions. It's his touch that needs to be refined. He rifles the ball everywhere, even swing passes. To say Mallet isn't accurate, is admitting to not watching him play, and peeking at box scored for a completion percentage.

Hurricanes25
09-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Mallett is very accurate, hence the low number of interceptions. It's his touch that needs to be refined. He rifles the ball everywhere, even swing passes. To say Mallet isn't accurate, is admitting to not watching him play, and peeking at box scored for a completion percentage.

I agree. Add that to the fact that his WR's were awful last year and couldn't catch a cold.

San Diego Chicken
09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I love Locker, so I'm obviously going to disagree here. I can't wait to watch him this season. He can get so much better too.

CameronCropper
09-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Plenty of people were high on Jake Locker before he beat USC.

I might be forgetting something here, but how exactly was the team he beat "decimated"? I'm not even trying to make a point but outside of Matt Barkley being out and Aaron Corp starting at QB, who else was out exactly?

Mr. Offseason
09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I like Locker more than Mallett, but I think Mallett will end up being the first QB taken. And I agree that Mallett is an accurate passer, but people will mistake him missing high or something for poor accuracy. I don't think that is poor accuracy, I just think that is poor footwork. The million dollar question with Mallett is how well will his footwork progress this year and once he gets to the NFL, and will he be able to adjust to an offense that is more of a pro-style attack than his offense at Arkansas. I can't give a respectable answer to that yet, but a guy with his tools is definitely my pick to be the top QB picked.

BrabbitMcRabbit
09-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Luck is better than both.

romo4prez415
09-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Luck is better than both.

I absolutely love Locker but I agree with this.

JHL6719
09-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I'd like to see Luck actually play somebody at some point so we can find out.

Seriously, Jake Locker has a terrific arm, but it's not even close to Mallet's in terms of arm strength. Like, it's not even close.

And I don't think Locker is more accurate than Mallet on a throw for throw basis either.

I like all three guys to be honest, but I'm taking Mallet as of right now.

Babylon
09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Jake Locker's arm really takes a backseat to nobody in terms of being strong. The guy has a 95 mph fastball in baseball and i've seen him throw it 75 yards in football. If Mallett's arm is better it's marginal at best and actually irrelevant as far as their draft stock goes.

Vox Populi
09-07-2010, 12:27 AM
If Chan Gailey is picking 1st overall Locker is going ahead of Mallett either way.

Babylon
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
If Chan Gailey is picking 1st overall Locker is going ahead of Mallett either way.

Don't get the connection.

And besides why would anyone think that Buffalo will win less games than Cleveland or Seattle.

Mr.Regular
09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't get the connection.

And besides why would anyone think that Buffalo will win less games than Cleveland or Seattle.
Buffalo is beyond bad. They're the worst team in the league IMO.
Trent Edwards is awful. Probably the worst starting QB in the league. They have no pass protection....that offensive line is disgusting. The defense has no pass rushers.
The secondary is pretty decent, and they have a talented stable of backs. Apart from that the team is abysmal. They're my clear favourites to get the #1 pick.

georgiafan
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Locker went down a little in my book after not leading the win on the last drive agianst BYU.

Halsey
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM
People are gonna start nitpicking Locker and becoming a prisoner of the moment. BYU was one game. Name a QB star QB in the NFL and there were reasons to nitpick him in college.

Babylon
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Buffalo is beyond bad. They're the worst team in the league IMO.
Trent Edwards is awful. Probably the worst starting QB in the league. They have no pass protection....that offensive line is disgusting. The defense has no pass rushers.
The secondary is pretty decent, and they have a talented stable of backs. Apart from that the team is abysmal. They're my clear favourites to get the #1 pick.

Are you talking Buffalo or the UW Huskys because it applies to both teams. Locker would probably benefit from a so-so year and end up going to a decent team, like the Aaron Rodgers situation out of college.

wonderbredd24
09-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Accuracy does not equal lack of INTs. Peyton Manning threw 13 INTs last season. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre threw 7. Does that mean those two are more accurate than Manning? Not necessarily.

You can be incredibly accurate and make bad decisions that lead to INTs. Can lack of accuracy cause INTs? Absolutely, but it's a mistake to make that direct correlation.

Mallett needs to improve his accuracy this season. I didn't see him play in Week 1, so maybe he's gonna be better this season. If he was as accurate as some people want to make him seem, he'd be the #1 QB and he's not at the moment.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM

I haven't seen nearly enough of either to have a concrete opinion, but that was the biggest knock on Leftwich coming out of Marshall, and it's an issue that he has never been able to fix. Touch (especially in the mid-range passing game, the staple of NFL passing) is an integral aspect of accuracy.

P-L
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Touch is definitely part of accuracy. Sure he can get the ball to his receivers but if his lack of touch is causing his receivers to drop the ball or not get a good grasp on the ball, then he isn't very accurate.

His touch did look much improved this week, so I'll be anxious to see if it continues once he gets into conference play.

Sniper
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Locker went down a little in my book after not leading the win on the last drive agianst BYU.

Agreed.

Ryan Mallett never met a wall he couldn't throw a ball through. I was skeptical of him (mostly his accuracy) after his freshman year at Michigan, but he's such a stud.

I think all three of Locker, Luck, and Mallett will be superstars, though. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Babylon
09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

I was down a little on Jake too but when i saw the replay of the game it just astounds me how inept his supporting cast is. There wasnt one player on that team that played at or above his capability. Locker really has to be wondering why he came back.

wonderbredd24
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I was down a little on Jake too but when i saw the replay of the game it just astounds me how inept his supporting cast is. There wasnt one player on that team that played at or above his capability. Locker really has to be wondering why he came back.

He's got one receiver worth a damn and Polk is occasionally pretty decent. The line sucks

Hurricanes25
09-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Jakes inept supporting cast may help him once he reaches the NFL. Same goes for Mallet. They are coming from teams with less then stellar weapons and I think that will make the transiton to the NFL smoother.

A lot of QB's come from teams with talent all over the place and that almost makes it too easy for them in college. Then once they reach the NFL, they get kicked in the ass.

wonderbredd24
09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Jakes inept supporting cast may help him once he reaches the NFL. Same goes for Mallet. They are coming from teams with less then stellar weapons and I think that will make the transiton to the NFL smoother.

A lot of QB's come from teams with talent all over the place and that almost makes it too easy for them in college. Then once they reach the NFL, they get kicked in the ass.

I think it can definitely be beneficial to get used to not having time to throw the ball... the only thing that would concern me is that they have no one they can rely on or just one guy and they either try to do everything themselves out of necessity or always go to the same guy and don't make all their reads.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2010, 03:51 PM

It definitely won't hurt him. In the NFL, you need to be able to work in tiny spaces as a quarterback.

An interesting case study for this will be Jay Cutler. I've thought that being forced to throw from a tiny, collapsing pocket at Vanderbilt on every play helped him tremendously early in his NFL career. I'm interested to see if he can make it through this season alive under Martz.

Babylon
09-07-2010, 04:39 PM
He's got one receiver worth a damn and Polk is occasionally pretty decent. The line sucks

Jermaine Kearse is his best receiver but his routes can be an adventure, thus Locker has to stare him down more than he would like, the other bozos aren't even Pac-10 caliber. Having said that at some point you have to put the team on your back and win despite adversity.

TitanHope
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I agree, but I think Mallet's weapons are better than most people give them credit for. TE D.J. Williams is one of the best TE's in the SEC and in the nation, and the same thing goes for WR Greg Childs (Please), who also compliments Mallet's arm strength with his down the field ability. Beyond that though...you got a point.

Don Vito
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Mallet has some very talented receivers, but that unit struggled with drops last year. DJ Williams was by far his most consistent target, if the receivers and backs can step it up along with the OL, Mallet could win the Heisman. There is a lot of talent in the backfield and at receiver for Arkansas, and I think they will show it this year with a season of experience under their belts.

Halsey
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't see much of a correlation between supporting cast in college and success in the NFL. Playing with other good players doesn't mean a QB is good or bad. Often times the best QBs go to the best schools with other top players. Sometimes they goto schools where they seemingly have to 'carry' an offense. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were surrounded by talent in college, while Drew Brees was perecieved to be more of the type who carried his college team. Either way, it seems like a mistake to put too much emphasis on a QBs supporting cast in college.

wonderbredd24
09-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't see much of a correlation between supporting cast in college and success in the NFL. Playing with other good players doesn't mean a QB is good or bad. Often times the best QBs go to the best schools with other top players. Sometimes they goto schools where they seemingly have to 'carry' an offense. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were surrounded by talent in college, while Drew Brees was perecieved to be more of the type who carried his college team. Either way, it seems like a mistake to put too much emphasis on a QBs supporting cast in college.
I don't disagree necessarily... I would only argue that the players surrounded by talent in college have been drafted far, far, far more often than the players who didn't.

Ballbright
09-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Uhhh.... Arkansas' receiving corps is one of, if not the highest rated groups of WR and TE by every service out there... Childs, Williams and Joe Adams are ridiculously good, and Jarius Wright and Cobi Hamilton would start for about 60 teams in the FBS.

ThePudge
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Uhhh.... Arkansas' receiving corps is one of, if not the highest rated groups of WR and TE by every service out there... Childs, Williams and Joe Adams are ridiculously good, and Jarius Wright and Cobi Hamilton would start for about 60 teams in the FBS.

If you watched them a year ago they were one of the most drop-prone units in the nation. Mallett's completion % has been murdered by his receivers. Sometimes he'd send a short-intermediate throw in too hot to handle, but more often than not these were big, blatant drops, often in crunch-time for the Razorbacks. There is depth, there is ability, there is potential, but I'd laugh at anyone who told me Arkansas had some of the best receivers in the country last year. They were young & inconsistent last season.

Ozzy
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
All of these people singing about Sam Bradford this past year. Like it was said then and it is said now, this 2011 class of quarterbacks is far superior to last year. You got legitimate star quarterbacks in this class. One could argue that many would take Locker, Mallett, Luck and maybe even Stanzi or Ponder over Bradford right now.

As for Locker and Mallett, have to go with Locker just based off his athletic ability when compared to Mallett. Both fine talents though, heck I liked Mallett even as a freshman at Michigan.

ThePudge
09-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I couldn't argue Stanzi, Ponder, Locker, Luck, or Mallett over Bradford right this minute. People seem to forget that this season means a lot & people also neglected how good Bradford really was at Oklahoma.

Go ahead though, try arguing Stanzi or Ponder as better Quarterbacks than Bradford, I don't have class until 3 and would love something to do. Ryan Mallett is my #1 prospect for the upcoming draft (as of 7-8 months away) but I can acknowledge that there are more flaws in his game than Sam's. Bradford's accuracy was rare, his pocket presence impressive, his poise as a player great, and his arm strength is on par with the NFL level.

Jake Locker was behind Sam a year ago, and though it's nothing exact, the committee probably wouldn't have informed the future #1 Overall pick that he was a 2nd Rounder at that point. Jake Locker could have very well found his way into the Top 10 (Cleveland strikes me as a great fit) but it's more than likely that the Rams would have still taken Sam over him, as he'd shown much more at the college level to that point. Andrew Luck has played one year, a very good year, but one year nonetheless. Jevan Snead had a hell of a year in the SEC, but followed it up with digression. With more focus on the passing game at Stanford, we'll know much more about Luck after the season.

I'll agree that Luck, Mallett, and Locker all have the potential to be better than Sam Bradford as prospects; however, they certainly are not at this point. They need to show how well they manage success on the field, stay focused, and bring some wins to their teams (while also making progress mechanically.) Washington has the ability to qualify for/win a bowl game with a great year from Jake Locker, Stanford should do the same with Luck, if Mallett's as good as some of us think he is, he's got to show that he can contend in the SEC & perhaps take advantage of a not-so-stacked year in terms of sheer power teams (drop-off at Florida.)

Texas Homer
09-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd take Ryan Mallett.

Ozzy
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
ThePudge I'll agree that Luck, Mallett, and Locker all have the potential to be better than Sam Bradford as prospects; however, they certainly are not at this point. They need to show how well they manage success on the field, stay focused, and bring some wins to their teams (while also making progress mechanically.) Washington has the ability to qualify for/win a bowl game with a great year from Jake Locker, Stanford should do the same with Luck, if Mallett's as good as some of us think he is, he's got to show that he can contend in the SEC & perhaps take advantage of a not-so-stacked year in terms of sheer power teams (drop-off at Florida.)I am not all that interested in college success for these players as long as they show potential growth for the future. Yes it is nice to have a winning quarterback in college but winning in college means you were on a great team. That is probably the biggest problem I had with Bradford, he was on flat out stacked Oklahoma teams. Heck his inexperienced backup last year threw for 3198 yards and 26 touch downs, note it being his first year. Thus that system is wonderful but has yet to turn out a star quarterback in the NFL. Even Paul Thompson who had a very strong arm and great athletic ability never turned out in the league. As a raw project quarterback even Thompson threw for 2777 yards and 22 touch downs.

So clearly it is a quarterback happy system where quarterbacks who are not good at all, Josh Heupel can be widely successful college players.

Thus Bradford being in that system and having success, at least in my opinion not that impressive because who has not had success recently as the quarterback at Oklahoma?

Locket, Mallett and Luck, I hope they have a little adversity because that will make them better ball players. Maybe it is just me personally, but again I would never take Bradford over those three. Will see how Bradford does this season in the NFL and over the long term. Because note anyone can have short term success, even Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and Tim Couch at times played well in the league, but it is all about long term success and ultimately winning games.

Note winning games and being a winner in college is great but it clearly is not everything, especially for prospects coming out of systems that make them look possibly better than they really are.