PDA

View Full Version : Texas Homer’s Longhorns 2011 Draft Prospects

Texas Homer
09-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Texas Homer’s Texas 2011 potential draft prospects

*(Disclaimer) Just my opinion guys…

CB Aaron Williams (Jr.) Williams is very physical, athletic and has plus size (6'1 195) for a CB. Williams is a good tackler, has good speed, and pretty much every tool that you look for in a high CB draft pick. It looked like teams avoided throwing to Williams side at times last season and he still got 3 int's. last season.

Preseason Draft stock guess: Top 15 pick.

DE Sam Acho (Sr.) (6’3 260) Ach has a motor that doesn’t quit and had 10 sacks last season. Plus athleticism.

Preseason Draft stock guess: Late 1st round

CB Curtis Brown (Sr.) Brown is an athletic Freak. I think Curtis Brown is a very talented coverage CB . Brown also has good size (6'0 184) for a CB. He can hit pretty good too. He is a lean 184, but he isn’t afraid to hit and he is cat quick(plus plus speed (imo). I think Curtis is pretty underrated. I think that Curtis is also going to return punts for Texas this season.

Preseason Draft stock guess: Late 1st-Mid 2nd Round

CB Chykie Brown (Sr.) Brown is listed at (6'0 194), great size for a CB and has long arms. Chykie is kind of built in the “Antonio Cromartie” mold. Chykie needs to work on being more consistent and being more physical, but he has the measureables and potential that some NFL people drool over.

Preseason Draft stock guess: 2nd-to late 3rd round

DT Kheeston Randall (Jr.) 6’5 295. Kheeston is a big dude that can really move. Legit size and plus athleticism.

Preseason Draft stock guess: I doubt Kheeston comes out after this season, but if Kheeston has a really good season and because of his size, then I could see anywhere from the 2nd -5th.

My guess on Kheeston if he comes out: 3rd Round

MLB Emmanuel Acho (Jr.) (6’2 240) Acho is moving over to MLB this season, but he could play any 3 LB spots in my opinion. Acho has plus athleticism and can run sideline to sideline. Acho has a really good motor and is relentless in pursuit.

Preseason Draft stock guess: Just like Randall, I doubt Acho leaves early, but if he does, then I’ll guess 3rd-4th round.

WR Malcolm Williams-6'3 225. TO size and potential. Williams needs to put it all together and have big season. Williams is capable of it. We will see…

Preseason Draft stock guess: ??? I have no idea. Williams is extremely talented. I’m waiting to see him put it all together. I doubt he comes out anyway unless he has a HUGE year.

LT Kyle Hix (Sr.) Hix is a MOUNTAIN at 6'7.5" 325 lbs. Hix has started 28 games at RT so far and is sliding over to LT for next season. Hix is a pretty good run blocker and I'm excited to see how does at LT(I think Hix can play LT at a high level.). This may not be the best comparison, but Eric Winston comes to mind. Hix does need to work on being more consistent and getting stronger in my opinion, but I like his potential.

Preseason Draft stock guess: 3rd or 4th round, but I could see him moving up into the lower 2nd round if he has a really strong season.

OLB Keenan Robinson (Jr.) Robinson is listed at 6'3 239 lbs. Big, strong, fast and can hit like a truck. Keenan was 3rd on Texas team last season on tackles with (74). I've also heard that Robinson looks noticeably bigger/stronger in the summer workouts. I think Robinson steps up in a big way at Texas this season and plays at an All-American level.

Preseason Draft stock guess: If Robinson comes out after Jr. season, right now I'd guess 3rd or 4th round. If Robinson stays for his Sr. season then I could see him as a 1st-early 2nd round pick.

S Blake Gideon (Jr.) I'm higher on Gideon's upside than some Texas fans. Gideon is listed at 6'1 and 205. I also think Gideon is faster and more athletic than he is given credit for. I think Gideon is healthy and good to go for next season. Gideon had (62) tackles and (6) ints. last season for Texas. Gideon has also started 27 games at Texas. I also think Gideon is one of the leaders on Texas defense.

Preseason Draft stock guess: I think Gideon needs to get stronger and improve on tackling, but I'll guess 3rd- 4th round for Gideon if he stays through his Sr. season. I don’t think Gideon will leave Texas early, but you never know...

OG Michael Huey (Sr.) Big kid that has potential. He has legit size (6’5 310). I think he needs to be more consistent and show some grit/”Mean”. Huey does have potential though

Preseason Draft stock guess: 4th round

DE Eddie Jones (Sr.) (6’3 260) Jones has fought through injuries that could raise some “Flags”, but Jones will knock you out. POWERFUL DE, with emphasis on power. Jones is listed as a starter for Texas at DE/”Buck” position and Jones had 5 sack last season.

Preseason Draft stock guess: 5th round

WR John Chiles (Sr.) Chiles has slimmed down to 210, and is listed at 6’2. Chiles is really athletic and is in year #2 in the QB-to-WR switch. Watch out for Chiles because he has some flash in him.

Preseason Draft stock guess: ???-Just like Malcolm William, I need to see Chiles on the field this season before I can form an opinion on this, but I mentioned him on this because of his potential.

SenorGato
09-04-2010, 01:26 AM
I've been waiting for 2-3 years for M. Williams to break out at WR. If there's anything to like beyond the obvious it's that he is a willing blocker. It gives him a chance to be the Luis Murphy of this draft...Murphy is a really solid looking player for the Raiders.

Texas Homer
09-09-2010, 11:33 AM
From SportsDayDFW,

Talking to an NFL scout on Saturday night and the early thought on the 2011 NFL draft is that UT has the two best state draft picks in cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown.

"They (the DBs) may not be first rounders, but if they have a good season one or both could end up going in the first round."

Texas Homer
09-09-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not a scout, but I like CB Curtis Brown as a late 1st rounder.

I also thought that Jr. Texas OLB Keenan Robinson played well in his 1st game vs. Rice picking off a pass and scooping up a fumble and taking it in for a TD.

I also think that DT Kheeston Randall played well in game 1.

villagewarrior
09-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Homer nice write up. Just curious, if you could only have one who would you take, Orakpo or Acho?

Texas Homer
09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey Homer nice write up. Just curious, if you could only have one who would you take, Orakpo or Acho?

I like both, but I'd take Orakpo.

Texas Homer
09-14-2010, 01:04 AM
I thought S Blake Gideon had a pretty solid/good game (8 tackles) last weekend.

Hix played well at LT.

DE/DT Sam Acho (1 sack and 3 TFL) and LB E. Acho (6 tackles and 1 TFL) both played well.

(Sr.) DE Eddie Jones has really been making his presence felt at DE in the 1st couple of games(4 TFL and 2 sacks so far on the season).

Here is a gif. of a Blake Gideon tackle against Wyoming that I found on "Shaggybevo.com".
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/BlakeGideongame2B.gif

bigfreak314
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Great post homer ! WR M. Williams is so frustrating to watch the kid has so much talent but it seems like he has lapses in his concentration with the drops. Hopefully a thing of the past this season.

Texas Homer
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
After Texas Tech game in my opinion.....

CB Curtis Brown Stock-^UP

I thought Brown played well and had a big int. where it looked like he jumped the route.

S Blake Gideon Stock-^UP

I thought Gideon played pretty well too. I think Gideon is showing much more physicality this season and has been tackling much better. Gideon also tied for the team lead in tackles (5) against Tech and also had a int. in the game.

Sr. DE Eddie Jones Stock-^UP

Jones was credited with 2 more sacks against Tech, giving Jones 4 sacks on the season.

DT Kheeston Randall Stock-^UP

Randall played well vs. Tech. Randall had a sack and played strong. Legit size and play.

True Freshman DE Jackson Jeffcoat REALLY made his presence felt and played really well. Jeffcoat went into BEAST MODE. I'm excited.

bigfreak314
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
What about WR Malcolm Williams? His stocks gotta b down after that costly drop that lead to the CB intercepting the ball.

JoeJoeBrown
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Gilbert should challenge the junior rule and declare at the end of this season. The Raiders need another QB that has a strong arm and no sense of control or the ability to read defenses.

shylo3716
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Aaron Williams to play opposite of Asante Samuel, with his size.

bam bam
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Just keep them all away from multiple flights of stairs

Texas Homer
09-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Aaron Williams to play opposite of Asante Samuel, with his size.

I thought that Williams played well against Tech too. Williams tipped the ball that Gideon intercepted. Williams had a TFL and also had a pretty strong "Suplex slam" style tackle that stopped Tech short of an 1st down.

shylo3716
09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
An up & coming Longhorn, I think will be the real deal is going to be Mike Davis, he has talent.

Hurricanes25
09-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Texas' CB's are scary good. I know Williams will be a 1st round pick but it should be interesting to see where Curtis and Chykie Brown end up.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Texas' CB's are scary good. I know Williams will be a 1st round pick but it should be interesting to see where Curtis and Chykie Brown end up.

Agree on the CBs. Wouldn't be surprised to see Curtis and/or Brown go in the late 1st/2nd when they come out.

Also, agree that Davis is going to be a man-beast.

Texas Homer
09-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Well that wasn't the best game against UCLA that Texas has ever played, but there were some players for Texas that played well.

True Freshman DE Jackson Jeffcoat may have been the best player on the field for Texas on Saturday.

Jeffcoat who is listed at 6'5'' made his presence felt in more ways than just the stat sheet. Jeffcoat was listed with 2 TFL and a sack.

Sr. DE Sam Acho played very well, getting a sack, FF and an fumble recovery.

Soph. DB Kenny Vaccaro played 100 mph. and was hitting very hard. Vaccaro led the team with 11 tackles.

Jr. LB Emmanuel Acho had 7 tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery.

Jr. CB Aaron Williams had a nice game with 3 TFL, a sack, and 2 FF.

bruschis4all
09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Enjoy your reports Tex. What did you think of Akeem Ayers - LB UCLA?
Pats desperately need olb help and am curious about him. Haven't seen UCLA play yet.

LonghornsLegend
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
From SportsDayDFW,

Talking to an NFL scout on Saturday night and the early thought on the 2011 NFL draft is that UT has the two best state draft picks in cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown.

"They (the DBs) may not be first rounders, but if they have a good season one or both could end up going in the first round."

Just gonna mention it here too that I still like Chykie Brown the most out of all 3 corners no matter who thinks it's crazy, I'll still with it until I watch all 3 very closely this season.

Malcolm Williams just needs to stay in school, I like the comparison of being the Louis Murphy of the draft for a team, that fits. If he's still there in the 4th round this year or next he's well worth that risk.

Thing is, he still strikes me as a guy who will make some easy drops at the next level on passes he should catch, but he also could start to dominate if he gets it together. No reason for him to come out yet though so looking at him in next years draft he might improve in alot of areas.

Texas Homer
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Enjoy your reports Tex. What did you think of Akeem Ayers - LB UCLA?
Pats desperately need olb help and am curious about him. Haven't seen UCLA play yet.

I was very impressed with Ayers. Fast and patient. He read Gilbert it looked like on his int. It was easy to see that Ayers looked like a NFL LB'er.

Texas Homer
09-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Here is recent John McClain tweet.

Scouts say the Longhorns have the fastest secondary they've ever seen. And the players are talented and athletic, too. 7:20 AM Sep 19th via web

LizardState
09-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Glad to see the Acho brothers tearing it up even when the team morale collapsed in a major upset. I think Sam Acho will be an NFL starter some day, keeps forcing turnovers & the NFL scouts will highlight his name on draft lists, deefensive guys who specialize in that are golden on Sundays.

True Freshman DE Jackson Jeffcoat may have been the best player on the field for Texas on Saturday.

Jeffcoat who is listed at 6'5'' made his presence felt in more ways than just the stat sheet. Jeffcoat was listed with 2 TFL and a sack.

That NFL pedigree shines brightly, blood will tell as they say in Texas..... I remember his father as a Cowboy well in those 70s SBs, the 2nd generation looks like he's bigger & maybe better than Dad was. Jackson will be playing on Sundays too.

Texas Homer
10-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Jr. OLB Keenan Robinson had 19 tackles (10 solo) in the Texas vs. OU game.

Jr. OLB Emmanuel Acho had 17 tackles (9 solo).

Jr. CB Aaron Williams had a nice game at CB and Sr. CB Chykie Brown showed some nice physicality at times in the game as well.

Jr. DT Kheeston Randall I thought played well. Randall had 2.5 TFL. I think that Randall is playing pretty strong right now.

Texas Homer
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Mid-Season Report

Texas Homer’s Texas 2011 potential draft prospects

*(Disclaimer) Just my opinion guys…

CB Aaron Williams (Jr.)

Status Quo for A-Dub. I still think Williams will be a top 20 pick. I think that Williams has played at a high level this season. Williams has shown plus and a half athleticism and tackles really well. I think Williams could even play FS if need be, but I like him as an NFL CB all the way. Williams hasn’t had gaudy int. #’s this season, but locks down his side of the field.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: Top 20
-----------------------------------------------

LT Kyle Hix (Sr.)

Hix is still a MOUNTAIN at 6'7.5" 325 lbs. Hix has done well since his switch to LT. Hix has been inconsistent though with some penalties and a miss here or there. That being said Hix has done well against some quality DE’s. I think that Hix is likely a RT in the NFL. I do give Hix some extra props for solid play against Nebraska and I hope Hix keeps his play at a high level the rest of the season and after that.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: 4th

-----------------------------------------------
DE Sam Acho (Sr.) (6’3 260)

Acho is playing strong this season. 4 sacks and living in the opponents backfield. Still has a high motor and is sliding inside to DT some.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: Late 1st-3rd

------------------------------------------------
CB Curtis Brown (Sr.)

Brown possesses Plus athleticism and speed. Brown has good hips, is a talented coverage CB and has covered some really good WRs in his time at Texas(Crabtree, Dez, Broyles, ect.). I think that Brown still has room to improve and sharpen his game, but Curtis can still play.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: Late 1st-3rd
---------------------------------------------------

CB Chykie Brown (Sr.) (6'0 194)

Chykie is still built in the “Antonio Cromartie” mold. He almost looks like a NFL FS, but is a CB no doubt. Chykie isn’t the strongest tackler, but he is a very good “Press CB” (imo). I think that Curtis is a better coverage CB, but Chykie’s Press skills and size get him picked in the 2nd round I think.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: 2nd Round
-------------------------------------------------------

DT Kheeston Randall (Jr.) 6’5 295

Legit 6’5” and has been playing really strong and is looking better every game it seems. Randall is an underclassman, but if he keeps this up I think that he could end skyrocketing his draft stock. I mean BIG TIME.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: 2nd-3rd if he comes out. I think Randall could be a future 1st if he stays until the 2012 draft.

----------------------------------------------------
OLB Emmanuel Acho (Jr.)

Played some MIKE LB this season for Texas, but moved back to the SAM spot. Still flys all over the field to the ball. Plus athleticism. My guess is, I think that Acho probably comes back for his Sr. season, but I’ll throw out a 2012 Texas Homer Draft Grade.

Early 2012 Texas Homer’s Draft Grade: 2nd-3rd Round

-----------------------------------------------------
OLB Keenan Robinson (Jr.)

Big and fast and plays very well against the pass. Played well so far this season and is getting better. Just like younger Acho, I think that Keenan stays through his Sr. season, but I’ll throw out 2 draft grades.

Texas Homers Mid-Season Draft Grade:4th-6th……with maybe a shot at the 3rd.

Early 2012 Texas Homer’s Draft Grade: 1st-3rd

--------------------------------------------------
S Blake Gideon (Jr.)

Shown solid coverage skills and is tackling better, just playing better football in general. I’m going to guess that Gideon comes back for his Sr. season. Early 2012 Texas Homer draft grade applies here I think.

Some Texas fans don’t think that Gideon will play in the NFL. I am not one of them.

Early 2012 Texas Homer’s Draft Grade: 4th-6th depending on his development……with maybe a shot at the 3rd.

------------------------------------------------
OG Michael Huey (Sr.)

Plus size, but I don’t know. I think that Huey played his best game this season last week versus Nebraska.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: 5th-6th

DE Eddie Jones (Sr.)

Strong play, Strong motor and strong tackler. 4 sacks so far this season.

Texas Homer’s Mid-Season Draft Grade: 5th round

Texas Homer
10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Both Sam Acho and Eddie Jones each got a sack on Saturday. Both are up to 6 sacks on the season.

Texas Homer
11-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Not the best game for Texas against Kansas st.

Sam Acho got half a sack and his brother Emmanual Acho had like 9 tackles.

Freshman WR Mike Davis had 11 receptions for 110 or so yards against K-State. I'd keep an eye on him. Really talented kid.

Last week Curtis Brown had a pretty solid game at CB against Baylor.

I still think DE Sam Acho's draft stock is somewhere in the 2nd round.

Texas Homer
11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
A couple other thoughts....

At this point if I'm guessing the only 2 Underclassmen that I think could jump early are CB Aaron Williams and DT Kheeston Randall. I don't think either are automatic locks to leave early.

Also keep an eye on Texas Redshirt OG Mason Walters. He has been playing well lately starting and is a name to keep an eye on/remember. He is a really big kid that has some nasty.

Texas Homer
11-07-2010, 09:12 PM
CB Chykie Brown is out for the season with a broken right forearm.

Texas Homer
11-14-2010, 11:48 PM
NICKEL Kenny Vaccaro played a solid game (9 tackles and a int.).

True Freshman WR Mike Davis flashed some of his talent with 5 catches for 70 yards, I'd like to see Texas find more ways to get Davis the ball.

Texas Homer
11-21-2010, 01:55 AM
DE Sam Acho had 3 sacks, FF and a FR today.

LB Emmanual Acho had a int. that he took back 57 yds. to the house.

Here is a picture of Emmanual Acho running back the int. he grabbed with his older brother blocking for him.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/AchoBrothersTexas-FAU-1.jpg

Sniper
11-21-2010, 07:54 AM
DE Sam Acho had 3 sacks, FF and a FR today.

Am I supposed to be impressed? I expect this from him every game. :D

Texas Homer
11-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Jr. OLB Keenan Robinson had 13 tackles last week against A&M. Robinson's stats for the season are 113 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 ints. , and a fumble that Robinson recovered and ran back for a TD.

Do-It-All OLB/MLB Emmanuel Acho had 6 tackles and a sack against A&M. Emmanuel Acho stats for the season are 87 tackles, 3 sacks, a HOUSED int. and 2 FF.

I thought that CB Curtis Brown did a nice job covering Fuller considering the size difference. The TD that Fuller scored was not against Curtis.

Young players like True Freshmen DB Carrington Byndom and LB Jordan Hicks are two players to keep an eye on. I thought both played pretty well against A&M. Hicks got a sack and Byndom I thought held his own at CB and laid some big, hard hits out there.

Sr. DE Sam Acho 9 sacks, 5 FF, and 5 FRs on the season.

I'll probably do a Pre-pro day/Pre-combine draft stock projection sometime coming up as well.

nofalcons10
11-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Acho has 19 sack over the pass two seasons. i expect him to be a first round pick.

Texas Homer
02-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Quick Texas Homer Pre-pro day/Pre-combine draft stock projection

CB Aaron Williams-1st Round

CB Curtis Brown-Late 2nd-3rd

CB Chykie Brown-Late 2nd-4th

DE Sam Acho-4th

Tackle Kyle Hix-6th

DE Eddie Jones-7th round

________

Personally I think Acho will be a really solid player in the pros. He is just a football'er. He can play and he gets the job done. I think some might view him a a tweener. I think some team will get a bargain with Sam Acho.

I'm not saying that Tackle Kyle Hix should be drafted higher, but I think that he makes it in the NFL as a RT.

I thought that Curtis Brown helped his draft stock at the Senior Bowl.

Texas Homer
03-26-2011, 12:15 AM
After Combine/Pre-Pro Day draft stock projection

DB Aaron Williams-1st Round

CB Curtis Brown-2-3rd

DE/LB Sam Acho-2-3rd

CB Chykie Brown-3-4th

DE Eddie Jones-7th round

Tackle Kyle Hix-7th round

I thought that Curtis Brown and Sam Acho both really tested well at the combine from what I watched.

Scotty D
03-26-2011, 12:18 AM
What kind of coverage did the CBs play at Texas last year?

Texas Homer
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
What kind of coverage did the CBs play at Texas last year?

If I remember correctly, it was a lot of nickel with Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown manning the outside spots with Aaron Williams as the nickelback.

I also think often times Texas CBs would play closer to line of scrimmage sometimes last season in an effort to try to help stop the run.

I think once Chykie went out with injury, that Aaron Williams went to outside CB with S/CB Kenny Vaccaro sliding down to nickelback.

Texas Homer
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Texas Homer's Pre-Draft guesses:

DB Aaron Williams-Late 1st Round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/aaronwilliams2-1.jpg

CB Curtis Brown-Late 2-3rd Round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/CB1.jpg

DE/LB Sam Acho-3rd Round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/SamAcho5-1.jpg

CB Chykie Brown-3-5th Round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/ChykieBrown5-1.jpg

OG-Michael Huey-6th Round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/MichaelHuey5-1.jpg

OT Kyle Hix-7th round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/KyleHix5-1.jpg

DE Eddie Jones-7th round
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/EddieJones.jpg

Texas Homer
05-07-2011, 05:59 PM
AARON WILLIAMS
Second Round • #34 Overall • Buffalo Bills

CURTIS BROWN
Third Round • #95 Overall • Pittsburgh Steelers

SAM ACHO
Fourth Round • #103 Overall • Arizona Cardinals

CHYKIE BROWN
Fifth Round • #164 Overall • Baltimore Ravens

Overall I think that these draft picks are really quality fits for each team that selected them.

Texas Homer
05-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Early 2012 Texas Homer's Longhorn draft stock guesses:

DT Kheeston Randall 1ST-2ND ROUND--Legit size, really nice athleticism for a big dude(imo).

OLB Keenan Robinson 1ST-2ND ROUND--Nice size for LB, hits like a truck(imo).

OLB Emmanuel Acho 2ND ROUND-3RD ROUND--Plus athleticism, nice sideline to sideline speed (imo).