PDA

View Full Version : 9/4 - Initial Mock Draft

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 09:50 AM
The first mock draft of the year is posted!

2011 Mock Draft - v.1.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

San Diego Chicken
09-04-2010, 10:07 AM
He's baaaack.... this just got me even more excited about one of the best days of the whole year, if that's even possible. Feels like Christmas. College football is on, my friends.

T-RICH49
09-04-2010, 10:14 AM
good KC pick who knows if Bowe is in KC's long term plans

Crickett
09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Im starting to wonder if the Giants drafting a linebacker early is going to be one of those things like the Broncos (with Shanahan) drafting a running back or Carolina drafting a TE. Just one of those things everyone think will happen that just doesn't. I remember a few years ago, a bunch of people (myself included) thought they were going to draft Paul Posluszny.

critesy
09-04-2010, 10:34 AM
lovin baldwin to the skins. perfect pick them. either him or floyd. i just want one of those (aj, julio, floyd or baldwin) on the team.

703SKINS202
09-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Baldwin is a good pick for the Redskins, we desperately need a playmaker at WR and Baldwin is a freak. I'm a little scared of his ability to get off at the pro level, but his rare size should help compensate.

luckyjackaubrey
09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
As much as I was licking my lips, waiting for the 2011 draft for my Pats I am now in a quandry. I was anticipating us being able to turn our surplus early picks into 1 or 2 premium impact players - one skill position (HB or WR) and one pass rusher (DE or OLB).

With what has since transpired (Mankins, Warren) and the total lack of execution on defense, I am resigned to the thought that Bill will not package those multiples (2 1sts and 2 seconds) and move up, but will do his typical shuffle backwards, trading down and focus on both lines.

So much for a sexy draft for us.

wicket
09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I like the saints pick although I think shanle is the one that needs replacing, not upcoming first year starter casillas. A linebacker corps of vilma, casillas and jones would make the most undersized linebacker corps in the league. That is the issue I have with the saints pick. IMO (keep in mind this can easily be debated) the saints have a need for a strongside backer and jones projects as a weakside backer

xxxxxxxx
09-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Quality Cowboys pick, you nailed the needing of youth on the o-line part. I'd rather have it be a C/OG, but I'll accept any o-lineman.

Go_Eagles77
09-04-2010, 11:04 AM
For the eagles I would prefer a CB but with Amukamara going one pick ahead of them, it's a good pick.

tenorx
09-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I like the Powe pick for us, but I'd love to have Carimi.

aheineken
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I really hope the Rams aren't picking top 2 for the 4th straight year, but if they do, Green should be the pick.

JRTPlaya21
09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
What a lovely surprise Scott!! Today just got even better. And soooooo glad we got a playmaker at wideout. I will do backflips if Green, Julio, Baldwin or Floyd fall into our laps.

GatorsBullsFan
09-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Everyone knows Jags are going to take a QB...Taking a DE is a unrealistic mock for the jags

wonderbredd24
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome back deadbeat dad...

Yes, the Browns certainly are in a good position to grab a franchise quarterback, but I'm very skeptical that they'd want a redshirt sophomore and I really doubt he'll come out.

They also desperately need front seven help

MidwayMonster31
09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
The Lions pick is too perfect. I hope they win more games than that.
The Jags apparently didn't draft enough defensive linemen last year. The value makes sense, just not the position.
Great Panthers and Broncos picks. Julio Jones could go to the Seahawks if they do not trade for Vincent Jackson. Great Skins pick, Baldwin will be a terrific fit for that offense.
As for the Bears pick, I like Castonzo, I just don't think he can play any other position besides left tackle. If Williams can't cut it this year, then I'm okay with that pick. It also depends on what the new guys (assuming Lovie gets fired) want to do.
Hightower is good value for the Giants. Great Texans and Chargers picks, I don't see the Bengals drafting another D lineman. Great Patriots and Jets picks. Good Colts and Saints picks. Overall, great job, this is a pretty loaded draft.

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2010, 12:10 PM
For Dallas, I like the pick but interior O-line is a much more pressing need. Where is Pouncey at? He's not in your 1st round? He's someone I like alot more because of his G/C versatility. Just missing Allen Bailey makes me sad :( I can only imagine how sexy he would be here.

I really like the top 5 though, alot of great picks and great fits that could turn each of those teams around. Really couldn't get much better early on.

AkiliSmith
09-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah I know the Bengals "love" guys with character concerns but DT isn't even remotely a need. Domata Peko is a great NT, Tank is locked up long term, Geno Atkins was just drafted in the 4th round and has looked dominating and Pat Sims is still around playing solid.

Safety - Williams and Crocker are older and need upgraded
Wide receiver - Chad and TO are old
Guard - Neither LG is all that good and Bobbie Williams is old

CJSchneider
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I like the saints pick although I think shanle is the one that needs replacing, not upcoming first year starter casillas. A linebacker corps of vilma, casillas and jones would make the most undersized linebacker corps in the league. That is the issue I have with the saints pick. IMO (keep in mind this can easily be debated) the saints have a need for a strongside backer and jones projects as a weakside backer

I think that is like asking which is more, six or half a dozen. I'm still holding on to the hope we take Jared Crick. I think the Jones pick is just fine though.

Glad to see this up.

Duffman57
09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't touch Michael Floyd with Bailey still on the board and his injury history. Bailey would be a much better pick with Castillo struggling and AJ loving his athletic freaks.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Not a fan of Daquan Bowers for Seattle with Ryan Mallett on the board but good to see the boss weighing in on his thoughts.

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Not a fan of Daquan Bowers for Seattle with Ryan Mallett on the board but good to see the boss weighing in on his thoughts.

Mallett is EXTREMELY overrated and NOT a Top 10 pick at this point.

Does he have that type of talent and potential? Sure.

However, based on what I saw in '09 Mallett is closer to Derek Anderson than Drew Bledsoe at this point.

Texas Homer
09-04-2010, 12:44 PM
CB Aaron Williams?...Did I just miss him some where on that list?

Your entitled to your opinion, but I think that you are missing the boat on him.

I think that Williams could go top 10.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Mallett is EXTREMELY overrated and NOT a Top 10 pick at this point.

Does he have that type of talent and potential? Sure.

However, based on what I saw in '09 Mallett is closer to Derek Anderson than Drew Bledsoe at this point.

I was just thinking 27th is a big drop for Mallett, you know who i want here in Seattle, being a local.

wonderbredd24
09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I was just thinking 27th is a big drop for Mallett, you know who i want here in Seattle, being a local.

Charlie Whitehurst. We are all very excited :)

Babylon
09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Charlie Whitehurst. We are all very excited :)

You're funny. I was thinking more on the lines of Jake Locker and i'm not sure Seattle will have a worse record than the Bills.

holt_bruce81
09-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Loooooove the Rams pick, AJ is a pimp.

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
CB Aaron Williams?...Did I just miss him some where on that list?

Your entitled to your opinion, but I think that you are missing the boat on him.

I think that Williams could go top 10.

He was under strong consideration and actually in the first draft... However, I try to limit / restrain myself when it comes to underclassmen. UCLA OLB Akeem Ayers is another youngster who just missed the cut this time around.

gsorace
09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Boner inducing Jets pick.

Scotty D
09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Peterson to the Lions is amazing, good read.

Texas Homer
09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
He was under strong consideration and actually in the first draft... However, I try to limit / restrain myself when it comes to underclassmen. UCLA OLB Akeem Ayers is another youngster who just missed the cut this time around.

Thanks for the response.

I think that Williams is likely to be a top 15 pick if he comes out after this season..

Myself, I think Peterson is likely the CB 1st to come off the board, but I don't think that Williams will be far behind.

Nice Mock.

Brent
09-04-2010, 01:42 PM
With A&M going to a true 3-4 and Von playing purely as a pass-rusher, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go as high as 11. So much excitement surrounding the Ags this year.

Ras-I is a nice choice on the Niners' part. They can't go wrong with a CB at that point, though I don't know enough about Mark Herzlich to know if he would fit in the role of a 3-4 OLB.

xxxxxxxx
09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Scott, who are interior o-lineman around that spot who would fit the cowboys?

We NEED it. Thanks.

Cigaro
09-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes. Someone else finally feeling the Andrew Luck love. Obviously he's liked by most people here, but I don't think many people see him as a top five player like I've been saying he would be(talking this year should he declare). I actually think he's in contention for number one overall. Just seems perfect for the pros.

Sucks that you've got the Panthers low, but that's neither here nor there. Iffy on the pick. Love the position, but I just think he's an overrated player.

Hurricanes25
09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm loving Allen Bailey to the Jets.

lowlife
09-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm not big on raw DEs after Gaines Adams.
Sure he has tools to be something ridiculous, but still.

Don't see us high enough to grab him anyway, but I'm a homer.

crites09
09-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Terrible Bengals pick, DT is just not something they need to invest a first round pick on

nepg
09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
My thoughts...

-I appreciate filling needs, but do you think Jacksonville passes on Ryan Mallett there? I don't know that that would sit too well with anyone involved with Jacksonville's football team. I recall you being someone who always preaches the franchise QB line...

-Scott, you really love ranking Clemson defenders, especially linemen, really high in the pre-season. How many of these guys have actually performed at a decent level? Leroy Hill? That's it?

-I love Von Miller, but he's about 15 pounds too light for the Pats to draft him to play OLB. A guy like Greg Romeus might be more up their alley as a Willie McGinnest-type.

-Also a big fan of Anthony Castonzo, but the Bears are in terrible shape at WR with two severely undersized dudes on the outside and zero depth. Cutler needs a big target like Floyd or Baldwin to be successful. They can find a RT some other way.

-The Dolphins have plenty of positions that could use upgrades. OLB is a huge question mark, and they have a lot of room to improve in the secondary. Rahim Moore sitting there would be a much better option than a #2 TE.

-RB is in the equation for New England, but with Austin and Bailey sitting there and having serious question marks at DE, RB goes to the back burner. Personally, I'm hoping for Noel Devine to the Pats.

Nice first look.

GatorsBullsFan
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I see Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett but where is Andrew Luck from Stanford? He is predicted to be 2nd QB taken in next year's draft

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I see Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett but where is Andrew Luck from Stanford? He is predicted to be 2nd QB taken in next year's draft

#3 Overall to the Cleveland Browns.

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Scott, who are interior o-lineman around that spot who would fit the cowboys?

We NEED it. Thanks.

A guy like Marcus Cannon from T.C.U. would be a good fit for Dallas in Round 2 or 3.

Halsey
09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I could be way off, but this seems like a deep year for potential 2011 QBs to me. I don't think it's out of the question 4 or 5 QBs could go in the first round. In addition to seeming like a deep potential crop of QBs, it seems like NFL teams have been getting generally good returns on first round QBs of late. Teams picking late in the first round could be tempted to 'reach' on a QB.

PossibleCabbage
09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
How reliable is that 4.25 report on Dontay Moch? That's truly, truly ridiculous if it's true. I'm going to have to watch more Nevada games this year.

JRTPlaya21
09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing Ryan Williams in some future mocks.

coordinator0
09-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Herzlich to Baltimore? Sign me up. We need a heir-apparent to Ray and this guy would fit perfectly. I'd like for us too look at WR (yet again), but talent is always greater than need for Ozzie.

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 11:33 PM
How reliable is that 4.25 report on Dontay Moch? That's truly, truly ridiculous if it's true. I'm going to have to watch more Nevada games this year.

From everything I've been told it's legit, or very close.

In fact, I've even heard sub-4.2!

Scott Wright
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Herzlich to Baltimore? Sign me up. We need a heir-apparent to Ray and this guy would fit perfectly.

I agree that Herzlich would be a perfect fit in the Ravens 3-4 defense, but at outside linebacker.

Aloysius
09-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Didn't Colin Kaepernick run in the low 4.4s on the same surface? They must have been running on a pretty fast track.

Scott Wright
09-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Didn't Colin Kaepernick run in the low 4.4s on the same surface? They must have been running on a pretty fast track.

We'll see come workout time...

However, both the National and BLESTO reports had Moch listed as a verefied 4.25.

That's a pretty reliable source, not some unconfirmed internet rumor.

Aloysius
09-05-2010, 12:37 AM
We'll see come workout time...

However, both the National and BLESTO reports had Moch listed as a verefied 4.25.

That's a pretty reliable source, not some unconfirmed internet rumor.
Fair enough. He does look very fast on tape: if Aaron Curry had played d-end in college, he would have looked a lot like Moch. And hopefully he'll manage to retain that speed while packing on some bulk: National has him at 238 lbs.

Sneaking him into the late 1st was a very smart move in an all-around excellent mock. Nice work!

Halsey
09-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Am I crazy for thinking it's not out of the question Terrelle Pryor could be a 2011 first round pick? I don't think he'll declare, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see him go somewhere in the top 2 rounds of the 2011 Draft.

jayceheathman
09-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Boner inducing Jets pick.

I would be having boner if Bailey was going to the Texans instead. Super Mario with Bailey would be insane.

Greg Romeus looks like he just turned 14 in his picture.

bruschis4all
09-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Nice mock. No problem with Pats picks. I'd love to trade up for R. Quinn though. Pats have 2 2nd's and 2 1st's. Corey Dillon = Bargain Basement Back?? Pats gave up a 2nd round pick for him and stat-wise he had a damn near hall of fame career. I know he's a jerk. But, far from bargain basement. In 04 he ran for 1635 yds and 12 td's. 4.7 avg. Career 11,241 yds 4.3avg 82 td's.

GatorsBullsFan
09-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I could see the Jags trading up for Luck or Locker...I don't see us taking a DE or DT

Shane P. Hallam
09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Am I crazy for thinking it's not out of the question Terrelle Pryor could be a 2011 first round pick? I don't think he'll declare, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see him go somewhere in the top 2 rounds of the 2011 Draft.

I think it could be possible...at WR. Pulling a Matt Jones maybe and using his athleticism and offseason to move his draft stock. Of course, if he bases his stock at QB, then he may go back to school. Plenty of possibilities.

Larry
09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Niners need a CB, but Dowling's cover skills are way too inconsistent.

dannyz
09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Where is Ryan Williams?

Shane P. Hallam
09-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Where is Ryan Williams?

As Scott mentioned before, you have to be selective on the underclassmen to include. I'd guess Williams wasn't included as a prospect who would declare.

Abaddon
09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Needs 2 rounds imo.

JRTPlaya21
09-05-2010, 04:57 PM

If Tim Tebow can go in round 1 then Pryor can go in round 1. Some team is going to be blown away with his 40 time and vert and you will see him selected in the 20's.

Leon Sandcastle
09-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Are the Bills really the worst team in the league?

Sniper
09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
If Tim Tebow can go in round 1 then Pryor can go in round 1. Some team is going to be blown away with his 40 time and vert and you will see him selected in the 20's.

That's a horrid analogy. Tebow actually, you know, did something to back up the hype in college.

Jake Locker is still absurdly overrated. He sure looked studly leading Washington to a comeback win against BYU last night. Wait a second...

I think Aaron Williams is a more likely pick for Philly than Bruce Carter is. That's just based on Andy Reid's drafting history.

JRTPlaya21
09-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Well so far I would say Pryor is on the road to backing up the hype. And he doesn't have that horrid throwing motion like Tebow had. Too bad his is nothing really better either.

wonderbredd24
09-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Well so far I would say Pryor is on the road to backing up the hype. And he doesn't have that horrid throwing motion like Tebow had. Too bad his is nothing really better either.

Correct. Pryor's throwing motion is actually worse.

TonyGfortheTD
09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Dwayne Bowe is a frequent inhabitant of Todd Haley’s doghouse
I think Haley has actually let him out of the dog house, but Julio Jones still isn't a bad choice though.

With that said, I think there's a decent chance that Pioli could shock again. Even though it was clear as day the Chiefs had a gigantic hole at Safety, it was surprising that Berry was drafted looking over his drafting history.

If Cassel doesn't step up his game in 2010, the Chiefs will be drafting a QB in the first round.

coordinator0
09-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree that Herzlich would be a perfect fit in the Ravens 3-4 defense, but at outside linebacker.

Ehh I don't know if we would invest another high pick at OLB when we've got Suggs and Kindle already. Now that he's slimmed back down to around 255 Suggs has looked good (well, he was playing at 280+ last season so it's not that big of a shocker) and Kindle might be back this season.

SenorGato
09-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Bailey to the Jets would be like drafting Vernon Gholston again. He's mostly a physical freak right now. I don't think we go that route again for a while...

If I could take one player from that group for us next year it'd be Powe. I think that guy is going to be a really good NT. I might end up liking Kendrick Ellis more.

Caulibflower
09-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Everyone knows the Lions' history with drafting 1st-round receivers... But what would they do if they had a realistic opportunity to draft AJ Green? AJ Green and Calvin Johnson together would be one of the scariest wide receiver tandems in the history of the NFL, if both play up to their projected abilities. And then there's Stafford, who certainly has the tools to keep them busy on the field.

JRTPlaya21
09-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Everyone knows the Lions' history with drafting 1st-round receivers... But what would they do if they had a realistic opportunity to draft AJ Green? AJ Green and Calvin Johnson together would be one of the scariest wide receiver tandems in the history of the NFL, if both play up to their projected abilities. And then there's Stafford, who certainly has the tools to keep them busy on the field.

Good lord don't tease like that!!

nepg
09-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Bailey to the Jets would be like drafting Vernon Gholston again. He's mostly a physical freak right now. I don't think we go that route again for a while...

If I could take one player from that group for us next year it'd be Powe. I think that guy is going to be a really good NT. I might end up liking Kendrick Ellis more.

I don't think so. Rex Ryan's defense and demeanor is a good facilitator for athletic guys who need a ton of refinement to excel.

prock
09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
If we got Mallet I would excrete semen everywhere.

TheMorningZoo
09-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Just quickly scanning the MD, I think Carimi has a chance to be the #1 OT as does Castonzo, but I highly doubt Nate Solder is selected before Carimi. IMO Solder as of right now is a 3rd rounder who has the potential to work his way into the 2nd with a solid year. I just think the Cards, or any other team who needs a solid pro for years (maybe not potential Franchise Tackle or all pro), in the mold of a Jordan Gross should take a hard look at Carimi

armageddon
09-06-2010, 06:23 PM
I really hope the Rams aren't picking top 2 for the 4th straight year, but if they do, Green should be the pick.

what he said.

ps- Rams will be 9-7

vidae
09-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I love the KC pick. You're starting off the year in my good graces Scott!

Brodeur
09-06-2010, 07:35 PM

They can't afford to do that with massive holes in the back seven of the defense.

SenorGato
09-07-2010, 02:04 AM
I don't think so. Rex Ryan's defense and demeanor is a good facilitator for athletic guys who need a ton of refinement to excel.

As far as DL depth behind Ellis and Jenkins I like DeVito, Gholston, Gilbert, Pito, and Kroul enough to not care about going after a DE next year. I'd rather sign a sleeper big vet like an Anthony Montgomery and draft one of the NT sized guys...Powe or Kendrick Ellis preferably.

Halsey
09-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Maybe I just know too much about him and am overanalyzing him, but I have questions about AJ Green and am not quite as sold as everyone else seems to be that he's worth the first or second pick in the Draft. Every mock I've seen seems to have him going to the Rams at 1 or 2. Teams should be a little concerned about his durability and this situation with an agent. He also comes across as a little full of himself at times, but I guess it's hard to blame him since he's been nationally famous since his junior year of high school. Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but teams picking in the top 2 will be overanalyzing also. At this point, I wouldn't rate him quite as high as Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald coming out. I don't even remember any minor questions about them.

SenorGato
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Yea, because it's often good enough that they don't have to start.

I wouldn't mind Bailey, but Heyward, Powe, Ellis, possibly Casey, or a pass rusher would be nicer. No, I don't consider Bailey an NFL ready pass rusher...his pluses are in his size and power.

SF Dolphin Fan
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks! Lots of great information and a good starting point to discuss the draft.

SF Dolphin Fan
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Question: how high do you think Pouncey, Wisniewski and O'Dowd will go in the draft? Are they top 2nd round type talents?

Flyboy
09-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Scott Shanle is probably one of the more underrated LBs in the league. It took me awhile to realize it, but he does A LOT for our defense.

RealityCheck
09-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Love the Pats draft, but not that sure about picking Miller #11...

And Dontay Moch is really that good?

DropKick
09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
I really think Dowling and Romeus are the two most overrated prospects in these mock drafts. Both have good size, but don't play to their perceived potential. I'll be shocked if either are 1st rounders.

EDIT: Just saw the Romeus back surgery news. Not exactly a bold statement I made at this point.