PDA

View Full Version : 2010 UFL season thread

Caulibflower
09-04-2010, 01:04 PM
In its second season, the UFL is establishing itself to be what NFL Europe was, only better. I'm planning on watching some of the games this year, as they'll be broadcast on HDnet and Versus. I don't know if players could be drafted out of the UFL, but obviously anyone who separates himself from the competition there is going to get some looks from NFL teams. They'll have some talented players this year, including Jeff Garcia, Ahman Green, and others. Those guys aren't considered potential NFL-ers anymore, but one of their teammates is- Maurice Clarrett. I've been thinking about Clarrett in particular; he's still only 26 years old, and obviously he's not going to have much "wear on his tires," so to speak. Is the talent still there? That's what the UFL could show us. I'll keep coming back to this thread as I catch what UFL games I can, hopefully there's other posters here who are just as intrigued by the potential of this new league.

M.O.T.H.
09-04-2010, 04:03 PM
You can just tell by the amount of posts in this thread how popular the UFL is. haha.

I think we have like maybe three "serious" fans at most and that may be generous.

Splat
09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I tried I really did I just couldn't get in to it.

dannyz
09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I like Claretts potential. Green making sure he does everything right it should be fun watching the NightHawks.

Caulibflower
09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I haven't actually watched a game yet. But I imagine they'd play pretty much like college All-Star games. Obviously they lack the tradition that makes college football compelling. I don't really expect this to be a super-popular topic; it's just a single thread under the rather large umbrella of "Pro Football." But it can be the go-to spot to see who looked good against whoever else. I'm sure that as time goes by, there'll eventually be some Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Fred Jackson, etc. stories where some guy tears it up in an alternate league (UFL being the only other NFL standard-field league) before he gets his big shot. The idea is to try to be the guy who, in 20 years, gets to say, "I SAW HIM PLAY IN THE UFL AND KNEW HE'D BE GREAT."

Haha... But yeah.

Caulibflower
09-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I tried I really did I just couldn't get in to it.

They'll at least have better uniforms this year. Last year everything looked pretty awful, like the teams came ready-made in box sets from Wal-Mart.

Splat
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry but better uniforms is not enough for me to tune in.

Caulibflower
09-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Where I was coming from is that it hardly even seemed like a real league last year, because everything looked the same, not to mention bad. It's going to continue to grow and establish itself, find its niche, and in its second year I'm sure the quality of the competition is going to be significantly better than it was in year 1. So I wasn't clear enough if you assumed that better uniforms were the primary reason I plan to tune in this year. But better uniforms do reinforce a team identity, which to most people enhances the interest in the games. I just like the idea of the NFL having something like a legitimate minor league, a role the UFL could easily assume. I mean, don't tell me you don't want to see guys with huge, raw, athletic potential like Joe Webb or Jameson Konz get a chance to *get on a field and play professional football* for a couple of years while they hone their prodigious natural abilities for use at the NFL level. It'd be a lot of fun to watch.

Splat
09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I just don't think it's going to make it, I watched a few games last year were I have seen more fans at a high school game in the stands.

I'm not against the UFL more power to them if they can keep it going and have it turn in to a minor league for the NFL, I just think it's a long shot.

Caulibflower
09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Fair enough.

RealityCheck
09-04-2010, 11:18 PM
The UFL will survive, guys. They aren't stupid like Vince McMahon and the XFaiL.

Caulibflower
09-24-2010, 02:44 AM
http://www.ufl-football.com/news/known-colonials-face-unknown-nighthawks-sold-out-rosenblatt

Sounds like they're happy to have a team in Omaha.

brat316
09-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Most of these teams are filled with Ex-NFL bust/retirees rather than college players that weren't given a chance, except kickers. Geno made it to the NFL after starting in the UFL.

Caddy
09-24-2010, 05:53 AM
The only way this could possibly be turned into a minor league type dealio is if they put an age cap on rosters. Maybe something like no more than 3 players over the age of 25 on the team. That way you know you are primarily getting guys who are very inexperienced at an NFL level.

brat316
09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
The only way this could possibly be turned into a minor league type dealio is if they put an age cap on rosters. Maybe something like no more than 3 players over the age of 25 on the team. That way you know you are primarily getting guys who are very inexperienced at an NFL level.

At some point they should do that. But for right now it seems in order to gain popularity they are taking everyone that has some kind of name assoication.

Scotty D
09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
There is a UFL game on Versus at 11 EST, also streamed live on their website.

the_legend_killer
09-25-2010, 10:34 PM
This thread should be renamed "2010 UFL Season Thread: Another Year of Brooks Bollinger Badassery"

Hurricanes25
09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I love Brooks Bollinger. I wish he was still a Jet. But yeah, he kicked some ass last year.

Borat
09-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Da **** is dis ****?

General Zod
09-25-2010, 11:45 PM
The first thing I see when I flipped the game on from watching ASU/Oregon was Daunte Culpepper throwing an interception.

So yeah, I think I'll pass.

Caulibflower
09-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I watched the Sac/Fla game for a little bit. I'm still really hoping that the UFL can be a place where exciting football happens, but I kind of got to thinking - if the UFL is a place where players are preparing to get to the NFL, all the teams are going to be running pro schemes. Since the players are not NFLers, none of the plays are going to be run as well (edit...as they would be in the NFL). It's obviously not simply a size/speed thing, because all of these guys are high-level athletes. But I don't know if it's going to be, as I suggested earlier in the thread, anything like a "college all-star league." They're not going to be running spread option offenses that will be fun to watch; they're going to be running pro-style offenses with 3rd/4th tier-type quarterbacks and running behind a fullback and tight end. I'm on the fence about how I feel about the UFL right now. I don't know how much hope I should have.

Caulibflower
09-26-2010, 12:35 AM
It's like watching NFL practice squads get their own uniforms and merchandise tables and playing against each other.

yourfavestoner
09-26-2010, 12:40 AM
I think we could have a 394809850984 page thread of "I remember..." posts on guys who are in the UFL now.

Caulibflower
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't think there are even that many players in the entire UFL.