PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Observations

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread to simply discuss observations and thoughts from week 1.

I'll start...

-Michael Pouncey is showing he's best suited to play guard, and he's not quite the prospect his brother Maurkice was.

-Janoris Jenkins (CB, Florida) has looked solid today.

underscore
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Evan Royster (11-40) looked slow and was the least impressive of Penn State's three RBs who got carries against D-1AA Youngstown State.

ChiFan24
09-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Blaine Gabbert has a cannon; Illinois was able to get some decent pressure with a 3 man rush, and he was able to make some great throws on the run, and with d-linemen in his face. And he moves really well too for a guy with his size (6-5, 240). Definitely could put himself in first round discussion.

Dayne Crist from ND looks decent, for the most part easy throws, but he's thrown a couple fastballs through defenders so far.

K Train
09-04-2010, 04:15 PM
michael floyd might be as good of a blocker as julio jones.

mike pouncey is half the man maurkice is

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 04:17 PM
michael floyd might be as good of a blocker as julio jones.

mike pouncey is half the man maurkice is

Since you're watching ND, watch how slow Michael Floyd gets off the ball and how he struggles against press coverage. He has been blocking good though.

K Train
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
hes non stop looking for someone to block and once he gets a hand on them its over.

not doing much in the passing game though, had one nice catch

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Evan Royster (11-40) looked slow and was the least impressive of Penn State's three RBs who got carries against D-1AA Youngstown State.

I've never been a big Evan Royster fan, atleast not as a pro prospect. He is a pro prospect, and will be a pro...just not nearly the type of prospect many make him out to be. At the end of the day, he's just another Penn State running back.

K Train
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
thats exactly what i called him earlier to my friends....all penn state grads

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
thats exactly what i called him earlier to my friends....all penn state grads

Solid college RB, 3rd teamer in the NFL.

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Armando Allen looks solid as a runner and a punt returner.

FUNBUNCHER
09-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Florida is in for a rough season this year. John Brantley is not Tebow. The Gators have issues on that Oline, Miami(Ohio) d-line stalemated them for much of the game. WHy can't the Gators run the football???
As of now, I don't expect Royster to make an NFL team.
And I'm getting a warm and sticky feeling about Marve, he's got a whip for an arm and just sticks throws.

K Train
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
floyd is a man among boys with everything he does

lol as i typed that he fumbled

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
floyd is a man among boys with everything he does

lol as i typed that he fumbled

You seriously don't see an issue with how he moves? Sure, he can jump and catch, but if you can't get off the ball in the NFL you're limited to being a #4 possession receiver.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Mark Herzlich looked pretty good and he might get back to where he was by the middle of the season.

Michael Floyd and Kyle Rudolph would make me not want to run the football.

Of the young guns getting their feet wet (passing QBs) i would rank them 1. Dayne Crist 2. Garrett Gilbert 3. John Brantley

Florida's offensive line is terrible

Michigan and Notre Dame's defense look much better thanks to young guys like Manti Teo and Craig Roh

K Train
09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
hes not the most explosive player, certainly the least explosive out of the 4 WRs but hes got some speed to him when hes in full stride and can work on beating the jam.

guys like colston, rice, crabtree, ward, and numerous #1 WRs are not explosive off the ball at all and arent #4 WRs...thats a unfair assessment, its not like he looks like a ****** running around out there

his hips are slow on shorter routes, but he shows great ability to get open and like you said his ability to jump and catch arent questioned

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 05:18 PM
hes not the most explosive player, certainly the least explosive out of the 4 WRs but hes got some speed to him when hes in full stride and can work on beating the jam.

guys like colston, rice, crabtree, ward, and numerous #1 WRs are not explosive off the ball at all and arent #4 WRs...thats a unfair assessment, its not like he looks like a ****** running around out there

his hips are slow on shorter routes, but he shows great ability to get open and like you said his ability to jump and catch arent questioned

I rank him pretty high, so I do think he's a good prospect. But I realize he's a boom or bust prospect. Most people over rate him though, and don't notice the big question marks in him game.

K Train
09-04-2010, 05:23 PM
fair enough...boom or bust, but i think the same can be said for baldwin and jones easily.

im not down on any of the 4...they all have their flaws, except maybe green, his game is pretty polished that its hard to criticize him too much compared to jones' poor hands, baldwins rawness, and floyds inability to stay healthy along with everything else mentioned

ChiFan24
09-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Shaky second half from Crist. Seemed to rush to his checkdown quite a bit, and made a couple uncatchable deep throws to Floyd in single coverage.

Defense has been terrific though. Ian Williams is a really solid nose tackle prospect, always pushing two linemen backwards. Te'o is a stud.

EDIT: Also, Armando Allen will be on an NFL roster, I can't believe Scott doesn't have him ranked somewhere. Doesn't have top notch instincts, but he's got a lot of wiggle, he excels in the passing game, and he can return punts.

Floyd is a good #2 receiver in the NFL. He's not explosive off the line, but there's a big difference between that and "not being able to get off the line." It's not like he's Dwayne Jarrett out there, he can beat the jam. And his ball skills are through the roof. The blocking is a bonus.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Blaine Gabbert has a cannon; Illinois was able to get some decent pressure with a 3 man rush, and he was able to make some great throws on the run, and with d-linemen in his face. And he moves really well too for a guy with his size (6-5, 240). Definitely could put himself in first round discussion.

Oh god his pocket presence is horrible. He doesn't slide around the pocket, he doesn't step up well, he just breaks down and sprints to his right at the slightest pressure. Most of those throws he made on the run happened on plays where he didn't need to run in the first place.

Good arm, but inconsistent throws. He looks like a major project.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Shaky second half from Crist. Seemed to rush to his checkdown quite a bit, and made a couple uncatchable deep throws to Floyd in single coverage.

Defense has been terrific though. Ian Williams is a really solid nose tackle prospect, always pushing two linemen backwards. Te'o is a stud.

EDIT: Also, Armando Allen will be on an NFL roster, I can't believe Scott doesn't have him ranked somewhere. Doesn't have top notch instincts, but he's got a lot of wiggle, he excels in the passing game, and he can return punts.

Floyd is a good #2 receiver in the NFL. He's not explosive off the line, but there's a big difference between that and "not being able to get off the line." It's not like he's Dwayne Jarrett out there, he can beat the jam. And his ball skills are through the roof. The blocking is a bonus.

Agree on Floyd, he seemed to lumber a little but it's early and he might be a little rusty and has to get used to a new QB.

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Here's the thing with Floyd. He does get off the line in the college ranks, but to do it in the NFL he has to be a master of his craft. Right now he's not. Slower receivers who have been mentioned as solid #1's in the NFL are all masters of their craft, and that's not limited to just route running. As I've said before, I like Floyd as a prospect...but right now he's closer to Dwayne Jarrett than he is Larry Fitzgerald because of all the little things that aren't in his game.

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Found a link to watch Washinton-BYU. I think I'll do some scouting of Jake Locker vs. some legit competition.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Found a link to watch Washinton-BYU. I think I'll do some scouting of Jake Locker vs. some legit competition.

Give me the link, i'm stuck listening to the radio.

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Give me the link, i'm stuck listening to the radio.

http://atdhe.net/index.html

Just scroll down til you find it. It was running slow for me for a while but it's gotten better...only occassional choppyness.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 06:17 PM
http://atdhe.net/index.html

Just scroll down til you find it. It was running slow for me for a while but it's gotten better...only occassional choppyness.

the check is in the mail.

K Train
09-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Here's the thing with Floyd. He does get off the line in the college ranks, but to do it in the NFL he has to be a master of his craft. Right now he's not. Slower receivers who have been mentioned as solid #1's in the NFL are all masters of their craft, and that's not limited to just route running. As I've said before, I like Floyd as a prospect...but right now he's closer to Dwayne Jarrett than he is Larry Fitzgerald because of all the little things that aren't in his game.

i wouldnt be shocked to see him stay at school unless he blows up this year. i think theres a solid chance one of the 4 guys doesnt declare, if floyd stays he could polish up his game.

i wouldnt exactly call the guys i mentioned a master of their craft either btw, fitzgerald sure, but i dont look at floyd as the next fitzgerald

A Perfect Score
09-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Floyd is more Terrell Owens then Larry Fitzgerald if you ask me. Floyd is a mean receiver, but hes also a bit of a long strider and I think he will time better then people think come combine time. He isn't overly explosive around the LOS, but hes got such great body control and boxes out so well that I think he would be fine going against NFL DBs. He may struggle with press coverage early in his career, but I think hes just too physical and too well positioned most of the time to be a "boom or bust" type of prospect. In fact, I think hes a safer pick then Baldwin or Julio Jones at this point...of course, that's if he's healthy.

niel89
09-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Andrew Luck is every bit 6'4" 230 in person. Sac st is garbage but his throws are perfectly accurate and is showing off his arm with 301 passing and 4 tds in the first half. His accuracy and touch are quality.

proshoota25
09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
you cant say florida's offensive line is terrible. i know it was one game, but that offensive line has all returning starters minus pouncey, and was one of the better units in the country last year. i think theyll be much better if they shift mike pouncey over to guard

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
you cant say florida's offensive line is terrible. i know it was one game, but that offensive line has all returning starters, and was one of the better units in the country last year.

They can't have all returning starters with Pouncey on the Steelers...

proshoota25
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
look above buddy ^^^ lol

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 07:34 PM
look above buddy ^^^ lol

Didn't fix it quick enough I'm afraid.....

proshoota25
09-04-2010, 07:36 PM
hahaha no doubt bro. nonetheless, my point is still the same... they were one of the better units in the country last year. and you cannot give up on them after one game, even if the competition was crappy

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Patrick Peterson is a fast bastard. He fielded a punt, I blinked, and he had run 20 yards. Extreme burst too. Damn.....he's going to be a top 5 pick.

Babylon
09-04-2010, 07:42 PM
They didnt look very good today and it remains to be seen how much better they will play. Just as much i think they miss all the receivers they lost to the pros.

wicket
09-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I think noone is going to complain about Kyle Rudolphs production after this year. Id be very suprised if he ended up south of 600 receiving yards, barring injury of course

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
They just showed the players UNC is currently without and I counted 7 or 8 potential first or 2nd round picks in the bunch. If only they weren't all in NCAA trouble and could pull it all together...could be one of the most talented defenses of all time.

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Patrick Peterson is much more of an athlete than he is a football player, but that's ok for a cb prospect. With the ball in his hands he doesn't have much more than speed. Ashame he doesn't have better vision and some wiggle.

Drake Nevis looks legit.

I love Oregon State's QB Ryan Katz's arm. He'll be one to watch when he gets some experience.

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Patrick Peterson is much more of an athlete than he is a football player, but that's ok for a cb prospect. With the ball in his hands he doesn't have much more than speed. Ashame he doesn't have better vision and some wiggle.

Drake Nevis looks legit.

I love Oregon State's QB Ryan Katz's arm. He'll be one to watch when he gets some experience.

Like you said, it's not bad for a CB prospect. If he had those offensive moves, he'd be an elite weapon on that side of the ball. I think he's going to be a total stud and like I said earlier in the thread, he's going in the top 5. He might win some games with his speed on returns alone.

Hurricanes25
09-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Drake Nevis looks legit.

I'm not sure why you think that about Peterson. He may just become the best CB prospect ever. Yes, I'm putting him up there with Neon Deion.

I agree with you on Katz.

Day One Pick
09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure why you think that about Peterson. He may just become the best CB prospect ever. Yes, I'm putting him up there with Neon Deion.

I agree with you on Katz.

That's kind of a crazy statement. He might have ridiculous measurables, but there's a lot more to being a pro prospect than that. I'm not hating on him, just keeping things in perspective. Do you remember Deion Sanders as a prospect, or have just heard about him?

Babylon
09-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Not sure if he's as good a pure corner as Woodson and Revis of this era and certainly not as good as a Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes or Deion Sanders of past eras.

Sniper
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Denard Robinson is the greatest thing since sliced bread. End of story.

BeerBaron
09-04-2010, 09:56 PM

I was wondering when you'd turn up.

Sniper
09-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I was wondering when you'd turn up.

I had to work today. :(

Babylon
09-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I had to work today. :(

You mean you put in the hours.

Sniper
09-04-2010, 10:02 PM
You mean you put in the hours.

I mean, yeah. I was there for six hours, but for the first three, I just watched the game. My editor was perfectly cool with it, too. :D

TACKLE
09-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Week 1 Observations:

Patrick Peterson is really, really, really, really good.

Hurricanes25
09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
That's kind of a crazy statement. He might have ridiculous measurables, but there's a lot more to being a pro prospect than that. I'm not hating on him, just keeping things in perspective. Do you remember Deion Sanders as a prospect, or have just heard about him?
No, I wasn't around when Sanders was in college but I have seen some of his games from back then. I know it's a bold statement but I truly believe it. I know there are more to being a prospect than measurables but I think he is every bit the player as the athlete. Again, I'm aware that it's a bold statement.

The next few years will definately be fun for you. What's happening to your boy Tate? I know you were in love with him last year.

Sniper
09-04-2010, 10:23 PM
The next few years will definately be fun for you. What's happening to your boy Tate? I know you were in love with him last year.

I'm in love with whomever wins games for UM. Tate's being an enormous ***** right now and Denard is ******* bitches up, so Denard for Heisman!

Honestly, I was even more surprised by the defense than anything else. THEY DIDN'T SUCK!

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-04-2010, 10:32 PM
T.J. Yates has looked good today. Great poise, decent arm, good mobility, good accuracy. I wonder if he can step into that 2nd tier of QB's.

wonderbredd24
09-04-2010, 10:50 PM
No, I wasn't around when Sanders was in college but I have seen some of his games from back then. I know it's a bold statement but I truly believe it. I know there are more to being a prospect than measurables but I think he is every bit the player as the athlete. Again, I'm aware that it's a bold statement.

Why do you have to do this? This type of statement is just impossible to substantiate considering what you've already said.

Why can't he just be a phenominal prospect or the best prospect you've ever seen?

RealityCheck
09-04-2010, 11:11 PM
T.J. Yates will actually be drafted.

This is not a joke, I repeat, this is not a joke.

K Train
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM
julio jones still has it

K Train
09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
i was really impressed with peterson too, not just his measurables and elite speed, but hes form and position versatility and how he was able to flip his hips pretty fluidly

Hurricanes25
09-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Some things that stood out to me today....

- Michael Floyd is a beast. He knows how to go up and get the ball. Also, he is a really good blocker on the edge.

- Ryan Kerrigan is a relentless player. Non stop motor who has a nose for the ball.

- Demarco Murray looked really good against Utah St. 35 carries....show that he is pretty durable. Let's see if he can keep that up.

- TJ Yates appears to be very much improved. Another interesting QB to watch for the rest of the season.

- Evan Royster had a disapointing game. He seems like a guy who doesn't do anything great.

BigBanger
09-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I think I basically saw Andrew Luck become the best NFL prospect in all of college football, and it's not even close.

Texas Homer
09-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Texas (Jr.) OLB Keenan had a pretty productive game picking off a pass and also scooping up a fumble and taking it in for a TD.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-05-2010, 12:59 AM
LOL @ people talking up Yates. They should be talking down the LSU defense. He's not going to get drafted. Will get a camp invite for sure, just because there aren't many guys who play in pro systems for multiple years and profile as a NFL type QB, even if they suck at it. Doubt he lasts more than a few weeks on a practice squad

^^Luck was already by far the best QB prospect in the college game before the season started. There are some other guys with some very nice potential (and even some extremely high upside) but Luck is a once in a generation talent. I'd start planning around stockpiling picks to trade up for him right now if I was an alsoran like the Bills, Jags, or any team in the NFC West

BigBanger
09-05-2010, 01:15 AM
^^Luck was already by far the best QB prospect in the college game before the season started. There are some other guys with some very nice potential (and even some extremely high upside) but Luck is a once in a generation talent. I'd start planning around stockpiling picks to trade up for him right now if I was an alsoran like the Bills, Jags, or any team in the NFC West
I already was a huge fan of Luck and there is little doubt in my mind that he is going to end up as the #1 player in the country. I said this a few days ago:
I think, at the end of the year, Andrew Luck will be the top draft eligible prospect. I don't know if he enters or not, but the guy has all the physical tools you could ask for. Cannon arm, great touch, accuracy and very smart with the football. I like the potential of Jake Locker, but he is still very raw. At this point, Luck has the much higher ceiling, yet he doesn't get the same kind of treatment. I think Luck will be an elite level prospect whereas Locker is more of a mid first round prospect to me. Both have a lot of upside, but I think Luck is further along and more NFL ready. Locker is a work in progress and we'll see how much he continues to improve in that pro style offense.

There have been 4 QBs that have stood out for me compared to everyone else over the years. Philip Rivers, Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer and Jay Cutler. Rivers has been my favorite and Stafford really pushed him a couple years back, but I think Luck is about as perfect as it gets. His arm strength reminds me of Carson Palmer. His size is elite. His mechanics are simply the best I've ever seen. His accuracy is top notch and he can throw the ball anywhere on the field. Great leader. Great character. Smart & incredibly well coached. The guy is about as flawless as prospects come.

Everyone is still on Locker's jock, but Luck trumps his abilities in every way. That's not the consensus, but it will be by the end of the year. This is the Peyton Manning of QB prospects, except Luck beat USC as a freshman... and he plays for STANFORD!!

Luck is the best prospect I have ever seen.

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I didn't watch Luck's game. but I thought he might be the best QB eligible this year too.

And the dude saying Peterson is as athletic or as talented as Deion, just jump off a bridge.

Sniper
09-05-2010, 01:31 AM
I mean, that Mallett guy over in Arkansas can probably make a case for best QB.

Sportsfan486
09-05-2010, 01:41 AM
I would be fairly shocked if Andrew Luck isn't the #1 overall pick. I just think his overall skillset is better than "OMG HE CAN RUN THE BALL" Locker. Then again, he's going to Stanford and is only a redshirt Soph so maybe he doesn't come out this year.

MidwayMonster31
Locker showed great mechanics on his throws, especially on the run and did a good job of hitting receivers in stride. I was disappointed in how he didn't do a very good job of going through his progressions. Although his pass protection wasn't doing him any favors, I would have likes to see him stare down his receivers less.
I didn't get to see Luck or Mallett play, so I can't comment on them. For me, Foles stole the show as far as the quarterbacks go.

Saints-Tigers
I mean, that Mallett guy over in Arkansas can probably make a case for best QB.

True.

I dunno, I like Luck, even though the Pac-10 is wack, and Mallett has madddd SEC Speed.

Sniper
09-05-2010, 01:43 AM
True.

I dunno, I like Luck, even though the Pac-10 is wack, and Mallett has madddd SEC Speed.

Right? Mallett probably ran a 15.2 at Michigan. Now? 2.7. Against the Wind....While Pulling a Blue Whale...Up Mount Everest! :D

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2010, 01:45 AM
It must be something in the water. Not the oil.

Hurricanes25
09-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I didn't watch Luck's game. but I thought he might be the best QB eligible this year too.

And the dude saying Peterson is as athletic or as talented as Deion, just jump off a bridge.

I never said he was as athletic or as talented as Deion. I just said that he could become the best CB prospect ever, even surpassing Deion.

adamprez2003
09-05-2010, 04:43 AM
I think I basically saw Andrew Luck become the best NFL prospect in all of college football, and it's not even close. agreed and i didnt see him week one. he is a once every five years qb prospect. probably the best qb prospect since the eli, big ben and rivers draft. dont see anyway that he isnt number 1 when he decides to declare

Day One Pick
09-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I never said he was as athletic or as talented as Deion. I just said that he could become the best CB prospect ever, even surpassing Deion.

Let me tell you why he won't. While he freakish in many ways, he lacks a lot as a football player. He uses limited technique, doesn't have natural football instincts, and lacks top notch ball skills. He will be drafted high, spend his first year as a nickle back and punt returner (maybe), then he will have an up and down year as a starter in year two. By year three he will settle in, and be a pro bowl caliber player by year 4. He will be slow to develope.

Deion Sanders was a star after his first game. Deion flew in a helicopter to his first game with the Falcons after hitting a homerun for the Yankees and then returned his first career punt return for a TD.

adamprez2003
09-05-2010, 05:19 AM
i spent the first week recording the north carolina/ lsu and michigan/ connecticut games but havent watched those yet. for now the only games i've watched are the georgia/ lousiana lafayette and rice/texas games just to see those two lesser teams play against some pro competition. not many players stood out but ther ones that did

1) TE Vance McDonald - Rice - (Soph) - He's a redshirt I believe so he could come out but probably wont. Big, Fast, pass catching TE that looks like a pretty good athlete. Someone that looks like a decent late round prospect

2) S Travis Bradshaw - Rice - (Jr) - Is always around the ball. Looks like a decent SS prospect. Very good run support and looked decent in coverage but wont be an intereception machine. Another late round propsect

3) RB Sam McGuffie - Rice- (Soph) - Very quick acceleration though I'm not sure how fast his straight line speed is. Wastes too many yards by running backwards trying to create something out of nothing. Needs to stay in school and learn how to hit the hole even when nothing is there

4) DE Cheta Ozougwu - Rice - (Sr) - Seemed like a possible 3-4 OLB prospect. Tenacious but would have to see more out of him. Right now i might consider him a UDFA prospect. Might need to get stronger under an NFL stregth and conditioning program for a full year before he can produce

5) OG Jake Hicks - Rice (Jr) - Didnt watch alot of him so I would have to see him play again but seemed like he might be a backup OG prospect. UDFA.

1) TE Ladarius Green - Lousiana Lafayette - (Jr)- This guy is a good pass catching TE prospect. Nice body, good speed, good hands. Has the ability to go deep. Didnt focus on his blocking but definitely a pass catching prospect at the very least. Mid round grade, 4th or 5th maybe

2) CB Orkeys Auriene - Lousiana Lafayette - (Jr) - Cant really say I saw him but since Georgia had no problem passing on everyone else, that might indicate he did well. Someone to look at more closely next time

3) QB Chris Masson - Lousiana Lafayette - (Jr) - Had a horrible game but this was mostly due to having no receivers and no offensive line. Georgia just dominated the game and Masson didnt handle the pressure well. Still could see certain physical traits that could be developed. Strictly a UDFA prospect now but I would like to see him in a game where he has time to throw

1) FB Shaun Chapas - Georgia - (Sr) - All around FB. Tenacious blocker, can catch out of the backfield and can get that one or two tough yards on 3rd and short. One of the few FBs that can legitimately be drafted

2) OT Clint Boling - Georgia - (Sr) - Looked exceptionally stiff to me. Big guy but I think he is ranked too high by the preseason rankings. I think he would be schooled by NFL DEs. Maybe a guard prospect

3) CB Vance Cuff - Georgia- (Sr) Seemed to have a good game but I would want to watch him against better competition before evaluating him

4) OLB Justin Houston - Georgia (Jr) - Seems like all he does is rush the passer. Very quick, great first step and seems to run the high arc every play. Pretty one dimensional it seems. Would like to see more moves out of him.

5) FS Josh Murray - Georgia - (Sr) -Had a good game against poor competition. Like Cuff need to see him against a real team

1) WR Malcolm Williams - Texas - (Jr) - Big receiver. Good game. Need to see him against a better secondary though

2) RB Cody Johnson - Texas - (Jr) - Tough inside runner with ability to break into second level. Need to see more of him. Texas is four deep at RB so he may not get that many carries this season.

3) The Acho brothers and Keenan Robinson were all over the place but I didnt focus in on them

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Let me tell you why he won't. While he freakish in many ways, he lacks a lot as a football player. He uses limited technique, doesn't have natural football instincts, and lacks top notch ball skills. He will be drafted high, spend his first year as a nickle back and punt returner (maybe), then he will have an up and down year as a starter in year two. By year three he will settle in, and be a pro bowl caliber player by year 4. He will be slow to develope.

Deion Sanders was a star after his first game. Deion flew in a helicopter to his first game with the Falcons after hitting a homerun for the Yankees and then returned his first career punt return for a TD.

I love Pat, he's going to be an animal, but I don't think he's Champ and Woodson level as a prospect, Deion is like a whole other animal.

A Perfect Score
09-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Personally, I dont think Luck comes out this year and I think another year in college even after this one would help him improve some of the deficiencies in his game...and yes he does have some. His mid-range accuracy is still spotty and he had a really bad tendency of overthrowing and leaving his receivers out to dry. I'm a huge fan of the kid and I think he's just as good of a pro prospect as Locker or Mallet but another year in school would probably be best for him.

dannyz
09-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I think if Luck keeps it up he will Declare and be the 1ST Overall Pick. Also Daniel Thomas could be a Sleeper at RB behind Williams and Ingram.

Larry
09-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Locker/Luck/Ponder/Mallett/Foles

Loving this potential QB class.

Babylon
09-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Locker showed great mechanics on his throws, especially on the run and did a good job of hitting receivers in stride. I was disappointed in how he didn't do a very good job of going through his progressions. Although his pass protection wasn't doing him any favors, I would have likes to see him stare down his receivers less.
I didn't get to see Luck or Mallett play, so I can't comment on them. For me, Foles stole the show as far as the quarterbacks go.

There were a few plays where Jake and his receivers werent on the same page (what's new). They have reads to make based on the defense, somtimes they make them but other times one guy is going one way and the QB the other. I'm not going to claim it's always the receivers fault but i'll put my money on the QB being right.

As for Luck and Mallett having nice days i think that is great although i doubt their competition was much. It wouldnt upset me to see Locker as the 3rd QB taken as long as he doesnt have to change zip codes.

09-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm surprised to not see a mention of Akeem Ayers. The man has a knack for being around the football and he's a flat-out playmaker. It's really unfair to see a man that big run that fast and it doesn't hurt that he's effortlessly the Bruins best pass rusher. He beasted big time yesterday.

JHL6719
09-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I didn't get to see the Stanford game yesterday, but does Luck still have the tendancy to drop the football below his waist in a Tebowish manner?

Because he'll never be the #1 overall pick doing things like that no matter how good his stats are against glorified high school teams.

BigBanger
09-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I didn't get to see the Stanford game yesterday, but does Luck still have the tendancy to drop the football below his waist in a Tebowish manner?

Because he'll never be the #1 overall pick doing things like that no matter how good his stats are against glorified high school teams.
You must be thinking of someone else. He has a very good / quick release. His mechanics are one of his best attributes.

A Perfect Score
09-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm surprised to not see a mention of Akeem Ayers. The man has a knack for being around the football and he's a flat-out playmaker. It's really unfair to see a man that big run that fast and it doesn't hurt that he's effortlessly the Bruins best pass rusher. He beasted big time yesterday.

I'm in love with Akeem Ayers as a prospect. Love the potential, and I think come draft time he could easily be a first rounder.

Babylon
09-05-2010, 02:15 PM
You must be thinking of someone else. He has a very good / quick release. His mechanics are one of his best attributes.

I dont have any problem with Luck's mechanics but lets wait till he plays an actual college team before we go too crazy.

proshoota25
09-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Daniel Thomas could be a first round prospect. I just think it could be hard with the likes of Ingram and R. Williams in the first this year.

soybean
09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3yos2tZ8drU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3yos2tZ8drU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

09-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm in love with Akeem Ayers as a prospect. Love the potential, and I think come draft time he could easily be a first rounder.

I could see him as a Cushing-type impact player in the pros. As it is, the Bruins are undermining his vast talents, because if utilized properly he'd probably be able to challenge double-digit sack totals. I thought the same thing of Cushing when at USC under Carroll.

A Perfect Score
09-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Ayers has a tendency to play a little too high for my liking, but he is awesome at setting the edge and I love the versatility he has shown at UCLA. They move him all over the field, and he excels at everything he's asked to do. That said, I agree that if they just say him down and said you are an edge player, do that, he could be great.

wordofi
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
UNLV is a disaster. Both of the tackles for Wisconsin look really good. Carimi should go in the first round, and Oglesby should be gone by round three next year.

YAYareaRB
09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Mason Foster is a beast!

Babylon
09-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Mason Foster is a beast!

14 tackles, some of the big hit variety, one of the few bright spots i thought.

TACKLE
09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Ayers has a tendency to play a little too high for my liking, but he is awesome at setting the edge and I love the versatility he has shown at UCLA. They move him all over the field, and he excels at everything he's asked to do. That said, I agree that if they just say him down and said you are an edge player, do that, he could be great.

There is a lot to really like about Ayers. Great size and athleticism, natural pass rusher and has proven playmaking ability. I think he'll end up playing inside in a 3-4. My biggest problem with him is like you mentioned, he plays to high and need to play much more physical for a guy who is 6'4 255. Like I said I love some aspects of his game, but there are some shades of Bobby Carpenter in his game the give me concern.

YAYareaRB
09-05-2010, 06:00 PM
14 tackles, some of the big hit variety, one of the few bright spots i thought.

He's a very good friend of mines. He doubled at QB for us and took to a sectional championship. I was talking to him the other day. I hope he makes it.. he deserves it.

Duffman57
09-05-2010, 06:42 PM
There is a lot to really like about Ayers. Great size and athleticism, natural pass rusher and has proven playmaking ability. I think he'll end up playing inside in a 3-4. My biggest problem with him is like you mentioned, he plays to high and need to play much more physical for a guy who is 6'4 255. Like I said I love some aspects of his game, but there are some shades of Bobby Carpenter in his game the give me concern.

If hes such a natural pass rusher then wouldn't he play OLB in the 3-4? Thats pretty much what i've thought of him, but i haven't seen much of him.

TACKLE
09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
If hes such a natural pass rusher then wouldn't he play OLB in the 3-4? Thats pretty much what i've thought of him, but i haven't seen much of him.

He certainly could play OLB in a 3-4, I just think he'll end up as an ILB. Almost all 1st round 3-4 OLB's in the last several years, have all been converted DE's (Clay Matthew being the exception that comes but he did play DE at some point in his college career). Prospects who are both physically and schematically similar to Ayers, have ended up either as 3-4 ILB's or a blitzing OLB in a 4-3. I know the past does not dictate the future but its why it leads me to believe that if the team that drafts him runs a 3-4, they will move him inside.

Babylon
09-05-2010, 08:28 PM
He's a very good friend of mines. He doubled at QB for us and took to a sectional championship. I was talking to him the other day. I hope he makes it.. he deserves it.

I like him better than Donald Butler, more fluid to me.

ToldLikeItIs
09-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Iowa RB Adam Robinson might be a legitimate prospect down the road

Bald_81
09-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Rather than start a new thread, when does AJ Green become eligible to play? I really want to start looking at him because I assume he'll be high on the Rams wishlist come next year.

adamprez2003
09-06-2010, 06:09 AM
watched Tulsa vs East Carolina yesterday. Highly entertaining game that was a score fest in the 2nd half with the game being won on a last second thirty yard TD throw. Players that stood out

Tulsa
FB/ H-B - Charles Clay - (Sr) wow. This guy is a weapon. Seems to be a decent blocker but out of the backfield this guy is a force in the passing game. Exhibits nice hands, good speed. He looks 220 but weighs 240 and is 6'3" so he has decent size for FB. Would be a perfect for a west coast offense that uses alot of passes to its RBs. He's a decent runner too.
: ThePHINS.com - Miami Dolphins Forums http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?p=1229521

WR - Damaris Johnson - (JR) - a bit too small for my liking. Is really more of an all purpose player than a pure receiver. Excellent KR, probably his best skill for the NFL. He's very fast and quick but I dont think he'll be that effective as a WR. Decent runner for college. They used him on a few end arounds where his speed got him to the outside and allowed him to make some plays. Dont think that will work in the NFL where players are faster.

CB - Charles Davis - (Sr) - Decent athleticism but looks like a good college player who wont be able to transition to the NFL

Two off the radar guys that impressed were:

CB - John Flanders - (Jr) - Had a very good game against some decent WRs. Surprising since the defense got torched in the game.

OT - Tyler Holmes - (JR) - Had a good game against poor competition. I need to see him against better DEs however.

East Carolina

WR - Dwayne Harris - (Sr) - This guy is good very good. Good size, good speed, good hands. Has a few technical things he needs to work on but a legitimate 3rd round prospect. The best talent on the field yesterday

CB - Travis Simmons - (Sr) - The guy who gets the publicity in the secondary is Emanuel Davis but Simmons clearly outplayed him yesterday. Showed a great ability to shadow, has good football intelligence, good reaction time and decent burst. A bit small at 5'10" 180 so he may end up like Trae Williams, too small for the NFL, but showed enough ability that I would watch him this season. Completely off the radar as NFLDRaftScout has him ranked 65th senior CB. He only runs a 4.5 apparently but if he can run in the low 4.4s I think he may get a look as an UDFA. Need to see him again to see if that game was a fluke or if his improvement is for real[/B][/B]

CB Emanuel Davis - (Jr) - This is the guy that gets all the hype. Faster and bigger than Simmons, he played decently but can be burned. Seems overly aggressive and is easily fooled. At this stage would be well served playing through his senior season. Think he has alot of technique work and play recognition to work on. Good athlete though

AntoinCD
09-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Only watched the LSU vs UNC game.

I was way more impressed by Patrick Peterson's return skills than his CB skills. Not saying he had a bad game, in fact they seldom threw at him. But on a crucial play towards the end of the game he got turned around and Yates made a nice back shoulder throw to Adams. Returning he looked so fast but tended to run in straight lines. Twice I think he was stopped by the kicker.

Bruce Carter had a nice game throughout and flashed his athletic ability. Despite forcing a fumble I wasn't overly impressed by his teammate Quan Sturdivant.

For all the talk of how well TJ Yates played he still needs to show that he can do a better job of leading his WRs. Too many occassions he threw bad passes behind his targets, especially on short slant routes. On the last drive as well he threw a horrible pass in the endzone when the TE was wide open. I also think his stats look a lot better than he played due to a 97yd TD when the defense didn't want to cover the WR and a nice catch and run in the first half.

Drake Nevis looked virtually unblockable at times in the first half. Im not sure if the whole defense took their foot off the pedal in the second half but he wasn't nearly as effective after the break.

Day One Pick
09-06-2010, 06:48 AM

He's actually draft eligible now. I stuck him in my rankings 18th among RB's, and 149th overall. If he continues to play like he did this weekend, he climb a lot higher.

A Perfect Score
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
He certainly could play OLB in a 3-4, I just think he'll end up as an ILB. Almost all 1st round 3-4 OLB's in the last several years, have all been converted DE's (Clay Matthew being the exception that comes but he did play DE at some point in his college career). Prospects who are both physically and schematically similar to Ayers, have ended up either as 3-4 ILB's or a blitzing OLB in a 4-3. I know the past does not dictate the future but its why it leads me to believe that if the team that drafts him runs a 3-4, they will move him inside.

The weirdest thing about Ayers at ILB in a 3-4 is that he isn't a collision athlete. He's not a volatile player, and I don't really see him plugging holes and making big tackles inside. I like him as an edge player and I love him as a 4-3 WILL because I see alot of Peter Boulware in his game. If I had to make a pro comparison for Ayers right now, it would be Boulware. I'd like to see him in that sort of role in the pros, but there arent alot of teams looking for that type of backer in that sort of scheme right now. He could also be a Julian Peterson type of backer as well.

Babylon
09-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Is Brandon Wegher still MIA?

BigBanger
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I was not a Ryan Williams fan until tonight (and thus far his numbers are fairy pedestrian minus the 3 TDs). I always thought he was a slower, bigger back that simply lacked explosiveness (and those backs are not NFL starters these days). With his weight loss and increase in speed, still keeping great power, low pad level and excellent leg drive... he's proving to be a legit first round caliber player. I like this new look. I like it a lot. I didn't think anyone would really challenge Mark Ingram, but I think Williams looks the part of a top 25 caliber player and potential the top RB of this class. Also looks like he can be a good blocker.

Sniper
09-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I always thought he was a slower, bigger back that simply lacked explosiveness (and those backs are not NFL starters these days).

What would make you think that? Darren Evans is that guy. Williams isn't slow at all. He was second in the country last year with 19 rushes of 20+ yards.

JHL6719
09-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Williams doesn't run with quite the power or vision of Ingram.

His legs go dead on contact sometimes, you won't ever see that out of Ingram.

I think people forget that Williams is still barely 1 game over being a redshirt freshman. He's no doubt a hell of a back and will be NFL ready and a top prospect soon, but I don't think he's NFL ready yet. He'll probably need one more season IMO.

FUNBUNCHER
09-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Ryan Williams is gone at the end of this season, I'd bet. I don't see the weight loss at all, not like he needed to drop #s. Actually I thought he looked more yoked up against Boise State.

He scored three TDs, but the dude was getting smacked after running two steps in the backfield.

If Va Tech's Oline wasn't a pile of dirty diapers, maybe Ryan Williams could have made a splash last night.

About Boise State, can someone break down how they've developed into a top 15 national power?? Where are they finding their skill athletes, lineman, etc.??

I heard Herbstreet(?) say last night Boise State is built along the same model of Va Tech was in the early years of Beamer's tenure there, in that they bring in highly productive, slightly undersized athletes and 'coach em' up.

That Boise State team IMO would win the ACC in almost a walk.

wicket
09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I want to put in another thought. If Darrin Walls plays like he did last saturday he will go from being barely draftable to a potential third rounder iyam

nepg
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I was impressed with Tyrod Taylor's improvement. He was very accurate and had a quick release. There weren't a lot of plays where he had to make a decision with the ball, but on the few he had, he went through his progressions and made good decisions with the ball.

Boise State's secondary was smothering last night.

Ryan Williams put up pedestrain numbers, but I was impressed with him as both a runner and receiver.

BigBanger
09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
What would make you think that? Darren Evans is that guy. Williams isn't slow at all. He was second in the country last year with 19 rushes of 20+ yards.
Maybe I got the two mixed up. I honestly don't know. He was also telling reporters he felt he was faster than ever this year. I never really focused on him last year, so I can throw all weight behind that statement. My impression was that he was a big, more physical back. More similar to Beanie Wells type of back (another player I didn't particularly care for).

Anyway, I just watched the UNC/LSU game and Bruce Carter is a phenomenal talent. He did get burnt on a big passing play because of his over aggressiveness, but his size / speed / potential is pretty gaudy. Reminded me of Aaron Curry a little bit (I thought Curry was overrated). Really the first time I have keyed in on him and I liked a lot of things. Liked his physical tools, but he wasn't involved in many plays (made a bone crushing hit on a WR and broke up a pass on one of his first plays). Carter needs a little more coaching and needs to play with better discipline within the defense. One play, he should have set the edge and forced the play back to the middle and failed to do so. Overall, an extremely impressive talent that does look a little stiff in the hips when in coverage. Probably a solid second round prospect. Instincts seems a little suspect.

Quan Sturdivant looks like he has solid size (with room to get bigger - long frame), but really struggled disengaging from blockers. On a short yardage play, he got shoved 10 yards down field. He actually tried to avoid the blocker instead of taking him head on. Very frustrating, but he also looked great when he had room to roam and track the abll. Made a bunch of nice tackles, one really great play where he shot a gap, stood up the FB in the backfield and made a tackle for no gain or possibly a short loss. Key third down play too. Showed some very good instincts for the position. He too is a bit over aggressive and takes some false steps (gave up a huge hole and didn't keep gap discipline on one play and LSU got a big gainer), but does have some nice abilities. Not the same type of physical talent as Carter and seems to be a little slow when changing direction. Doesn't appear to be very good in space.

I have usually tried to focus in on the DLinemen for UNC, but I finally had the time to focus on the LBs. I don't think either is a first round prospect, but Carter does have some nice potential for a SAM backer.

Jheranie Boyd is an impressive player. Obviously showing off some great speed. Really showed great angles on his routes. Came back to the ball and showed some good hands as he made a great catch and sandwiched between two LSU defenders and held onto the ball. Really impressive game. Just torched LSU defense for 221 receiving yards and 97 TD catch. He'll be a guy to watch.

The best LB on the field was Kelvin Sheppard. Really like him as a WILL backer. Was, as usual, all over the field. A nose for the ball and great instincts for the position. He was aggressive, was shooting gaps, getting in the backfield and making a ton of plays against the run. Looked very athletic with great quickness.

Patrick Peterson obviously had a great game returning punts and kicks. His straight line speed is everything it is hyped up to be. Is he going to returns punts at the next level? No. He has no elusiveness and no change of direction. He runs downhill and around people. That doesn't work in the NFL with more athletic players playing with better discipline (ask Darren McFadden). As usual, he was kinda... meh in coverage. Gave up about 4 receptions (1 while in zone where he simply didn't show the awareness to drop deep enough in coverage to make a stop). Gave up a quick slant, made the immediate tackle. Also gave up a big catch on the last drive to a freshman (Adams). It was a nice throw to the back shoulder and the toughest route to cover. Very raw in coverage, doesn't play with great technique. His size / speed is unreal. He is the Antonio Cromartie of this years draft, except he is a much better tackler and doesn't have injury concerns. He will be a top 10 pick barring some kind of major injury / setback. Struggled with cramps.

Drake Nevis was a truck. Simply too talented for the opposing center -- who got his ass kicked all night and couldn't snap the ball. Had a sack, pushed the pocket, stuffed the run. Was pretty dominant, but didn't seem to be an overly impressive NFL prospect.

ChiFan24
09-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I want to put in another thought. If Darrin Walls plays like he did last saturday he will go from being barely draftable to a potential third rounder iyam

He got a little lucky Siller couldn't haul in that bomb from Marve in the 4th quarter, but then again, there should have been safety help. Other than that, he was really impressive and more physical than in the past. I want to see him against Baldwin later this season, he could definitely prove himself worthy of third rounder.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah Williams has always been explosive, if anything it's his power that surprised me last night. I knew he was good in between the tackles but I always viewed him as more shifty but last night he really hit it hard every time despite have crap blocking.