PDA

View Full Version : Nick Foles -- QB -- Arizona

soybean
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
What do y'all think of this guy?

Though it was against legit, he looked legit. Not afraid to throw the deep ball, nimble feet and decently accurate. He holds and delivers the ball like an nfl qb already too.

He's a junior now but I could legitimately see him landing a starting spot in the NFL one day.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302462649

kind of reminiscent of Sam Bradford.

Ps. he kind of looks like Jon Heder.

Hurricanes25
09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
His accuracy really stands out to me. He can fit the ball into the tightest of windows.

Brent
09-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I like his potential. His accuracy stands out, for sure; we all know how important that is.

Mr. Offseason
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree with what you guys have said about Foles, but he has a serious tendency to stare down receivers, much like Sam Bradford for whoever made that comparison. He isn't as accurate as Bradford is in my opinion, but he has a strong arm to be sure. But I really did not like Bradford because of his tendency to stare down receivers, and that is my knock on Foles as well.

bored of education
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Lat year's Mallett v. Locker thread I was all over this dudes junk. He is the best draft eligiblie QB this year.

YAYareaRB
09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I honestly noticed him last season against Oregon. This is gonna be a big year for him and the wildcats.

tjsunstein
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Lat year's Mallett v. Locker thread I was all over this dudes junk. He is the best draft eligiblie QB this year.
Let's not get crazy.

YAYareaRB
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Let's not get crazy.

haha I thought the same thing but I didn't want to start a fight lol

tjsunstein
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
This guy's good, don't get me wrong. Has great size, accuracy, a strong arm. But with talent like Locker, Luck, Ponder, and Mallett at the top, how can you say Foles has anything that stands out over all of them?

TACKLE
09-08-2010, 11:52 PM

Foles has proven more than Luck and has a physical skill set that's very comparable. I think Foles could definitely make a push to be the top QB in 2011 even if Luck stays.

OGDraft
09-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree with what you guys have said about Foles, but he has a serious tendency to stare down receivers, much like Sam Bradford for whoever made that comparison. He isn't as accurate as Bradford is in my opinion, but he has a strong arm to be sure. But I really did not like Bradford because of his tendency to stare down receivers, and that is my knock on Foles as well.

I agree with this. Every time I've seen him play he stares down his WR's on nearly every play. He doesn't scan the field and he usually has just the one read and then he will look to check it down. I've seen him try to force some throws too which I didn't like at all.

princefielder28
09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Foles has proven more than Luck and has a physical skill set that's very comparable. I think Foles could definitely make a push to be the top QB in 2011 even if Luck stays.

How has Foles proven more than Luck??? Foles production last year was thanks to a great deal of quick, short passes and while he has a big arm, he needs plenty of work throwing downfield...he's a nice QB prospect but overrated at this point if people think he's anywhere near the top

bored of education
09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Foles is the truth.

CashmoneyDrew
09-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Stole him in the fourth round of our 2011 forum mock this summer for the Titans.

OaklandRaider56
09-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Thought he was going to be a stud, Foles was my favorite high school QB to ever watch play. And he hasn't disapointed so far; I want to compare him to Ben Roethlesberger.

DeathbyStat
09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Becoming a fan, him and Ryan Katz are sleeper first round picks for the future

iBoldin
09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Foles is having an outstanding game. Arizona poised to put up the first top-ten upset of the year and Foles is looking great in the midst of it.

Really love Foles.

BigBanger
09-19-2010, 05:05 AM
I would say he has three main issues.

1. He stares down his #1 option %100 of the time.
2. He has terrible, terrible pocket mobility. He is a statute and does not move his feet at all.
3. He has a lot of easy reads and a lot of easy throws.

He missed a few easy throws as well, but did have solid accuracy throughout the game. Ball placement wasn't always great.

Edit: I can't believe I just saw a Big Ben comparison. Does he rape drunk college girls? Is that how they are similar? Because their play on the field is nothing alike. The guy might have two left feet.

Day One Pick
09-19-2010, 07:10 AM
With the unusually strong QB class this year, Foles should probably and will probably return to school. In 2012 he'll have a chance to be a top 5 pick if he continues to improve between now and then. In 2012 he and Terrelle Pryor could be the top two QB's out there, of course if Andrew Luck leaves Stanford after this year and Ryan Mallett leaves Arkansas.

Right now I expect Luck and Mallett to both leave school this year and both wind up top 10 (likely top 5) picks. I think Jerrod Johnson also winds up in the first round, and Jake Locker falls to the mid 20's or possibly the top of the 2nd round.

Right now, Foles would likely be an early to mid 2nd round pick because of the other available talent. In most years he's a first rounder right now.

ElectricEye
09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I liked what I saw last night, but there were some things to be weary of as well. Might be a product of the spread type.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-19-2010, 04:49 PM
His arm was better than I was expecting, everything else was worse. That he was able to come back and lead the game winning drive after throwing the TAINT was impressive, however.

Worth keeping an eye on

fenikz
09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Pretty sure he is a product of the system, not much of a pro prospect imo, 6th-7th rounder probably

ToldLikeItIs
09-19-2010, 06:24 PM
He basically ran the same play 20 times, but it worked out..
If Norm Parker were there, different story

TACKLE
09-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Although this was his "breakout game" as a college QB, I'm actually kind of down on him after watching him this week. He seems a little too cautious about pushing the ball down the field and I don't really like the way he moves in the pocket. He has good accuracy and I like how he gets rid of the ball quickly. He has taken a step forward in a way but his game hasn't developed in the ways I would of liked to see. He's only a junior so he still has time to improve though.

ThePudge
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
I've recorded Arizona-Iowa and will be breaking Foles down snap-by-snap sometime tonight or tomorrow. My intial feeling is that he's a guy with some of the tools you like to see but lacks the feel for the game & the overall mechanics of some of the players we see as superior prospects. We'll see, I'll be in here after the game with a full analysis (at least on that game.)

SickwithIt1010
09-21-2010, 01:02 AM

Ill take Luck at the top if he decides to come out....

mellojello
09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
He's about to tourch Cal and I'm not looking forward to it.

bored of education
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Foles is a very interesting prospect. I like his toughness and leadership on the field. He has a good arm and verry good accuracy. One thing he does more than any QB on the college level is make so many reads and progressions and he makes it look so natural.

NotRickJames
11-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Pros - haven't seen him much, can't comment.
Cons - looks like a tool.

bored of education
11-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Pros - haven't seen him much, can't comment.
Cons - looks like a tool.

I can now go in peace to the land of the dead knowing that information. I want to thank you for providing such valuable insight.

Babylon
11-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Foles is a very interesting prospect. I like his toughness and leadership on the field. He has a good arm and verry good accuracy. One thing he does more than any QB on the college level is make so many reads and progressions and he makes it look so natural.

Call me stupid but i would compare him to Tom Brady at a similar stage.

bored of education
11-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Call me stupid but i would compare him to Tom Brady at a similar stage.

I wasn't going there. The way he naturally moved around in and around the pocket is similiar.

NotRickJames
11-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I can now go in peace to the land of the dead knowing that information. I want to thank you for providing such valuable insight.

Always happy to help.

Babylon
11-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I wasn't going there. The way he naturally moved around in and around the pocket is similiar.

A year ago he was pretty much a flat pass and bubble screen guy but this year he's been going down the field better. Hard to say he is going to be Tom Brady but my guess is he'll be better than some of the more publicised QBs available.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-26-2010, 10:33 PM
The problem I have with Foles is that he is very erratic. He'll have a couple of nice throws and then throw one nowhere near his players. Or he'll almost miss wide open targets. He's accurate, but erratic.

Mr. Offseason
11-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I watched him last year and a little bit earlier this year and he didn't seem to be scanning the field as he was tonight. I'm definitely going to go back and look at two or three more games to get a feel for how he has been doing with that this year, but I was pretty surprised to see him scan the field like he was doing tonight. One of my big knocks on him was him staring down WR's a lot, but he was not doing that as much tonight which was great to see.

He has good size, good arm strength, good accuracy and enough mobility to extend plays and he can throw a pretty good ball on the move. He's got a little ways to go as far as decision making in my opinion, and sometimes he will just throw the ball up for his receivers to make a play on it. That's not a terrible thing, but sometimes he will put it up with a second defender in the area and it will turn out to be a risky pass.

I like Foles more than I thought I did though, he may not have had a great game tonight as far as efficiency because he was throwing so much but overall I was impressed.

Brent
11-26-2010, 11:39 PM
I see a taller Drew Brees, prospect-wise, but that's me.

11-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Perfect time for foles to come out...you have a potentially muddled qb situation, especially if luck stays in school. There's plenty of room for movement at the top of the qb heap and with good workouts foles has the skillset to be the 2nd qb off the board. Or even the first if luck stays in school. As much as people love his jock, cam newton is no lock for a top pick. Especially if the "pay for play" scandal reveals even more about his character. I like foles a lot. He and locker would be my favorite qbs in the class if he were to declare.

Scott Wright
11-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I highly doubt Foles will come out, he's probably just a middle round pick.

11-27-2010, 12:00 AM

Let's be honest...a middle round pick puts him among the likes of nathan enderle, colin kapernick, or greg mcelroy. I'm not employed as a scout but watching 1 arizona game he's clearly better than those type of guys. If it came down to workouts its hard to deny he'd be an impressive guy in shorts. But obviously he's no lock to declare. He might lose criner though and that could be the deciding factor for him.

ElectricEye
11-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Agree. Foles has done absolutely nothing to impress me outside of the stat sheet. Slow release, erratic, poor arm strength. System quarterbacking at it's finest IMO. Foles is usually the type of guys I fall for quarterback wise, but there really is not much there to like.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Perfect time for foles to come out...you have a potentially muddled qb situation, especially if luck stays in school. There's plenty of room for movement at the top of the qb heap and with good workouts foles has the skillset to be the 2nd qb off the board. Or even the first if luck stays in school. As much as people love his jock, cam newton is no lock for a top pick. Especially if the "pay for play" scandal reveals even more about his character. I like foles a lot. He and locker would be my favorite qbs in the class if he were to declare.

There will be a few teams who will take Newton off their board but not all of them - recall the OJ Mayo situation in the NBA. When teams were pressed to talk about it, "Well, he was getting paid to play basketball. Sounds like he's prepared to play professionally"

It only takes one team and I would be extremely surprised if there isn't one in the first. If Tim Tebow seduced someone into grabbing him...

11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Tebow was a character pick. There was nothing football-wise that made him worth a 1st rd pick...josh mcdaniels just though he was such a nice guy that he should be denvers future qb...god bless them, and good luck

DaBrowns41
11-27-2010, 07:10 PM
People have called me crazy for having him in my Top 5 for this year, but I think he'd be a nice QB in round 2, and a steal in round 3 if he comes out.

He's got a strong arm, but can zip it in accurately. Although he could use work leading his receivers, and needs to go through his progressions. He doesn't have the greatest team around him, but he still makes plays.

goldenbear.cal
11-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Nick Foles sorta reminds me of Matt Schaub.