PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Pac 10 Thread

soybean
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Oregon looks F***ing good.

I also think this is a qb's conference.

Nick Foles, Barkley, Luck and Locker.

This is gonna be a rough year for USC especially since their defense is terrible.

mellojello
09-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Widely regarded as the 8th or 9th team in the pac 10, Cal it definitly under the radar this year. I'm willing to bet a lot of money they finish better then where they're projected, but yes, it's going to be rough in the Pac 10 this year.

I love how Oregon plugs any RB into that offense and the guy ends up a stud.

mellojello
09-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I also think this is a qb's conference.

Nick Foles, Barkley, Luck and Locker.

There's some big names at the QB position, but I always check the defense and running game first.

princefielder28
09-04-2010, 07:49 PM
add Katz to the QB list

LizardState
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Oregon St. showed they belong in the top 20 but blew their comeback on the center snap over Katz' head -- 1st game suicide jitters, not on the same pg. The Rogers brothers did their NFL audition, maybe b/c they're next to padded giants but they looked more 5-7 than 5-9.

Jaquizz was being called the Next DeSean Jackson but he might actually be smaller, hard to imagine a flea-sized RB like him getting it done at RB between the tackles in the NFL. He could be drafted as a KR exclusively

mellojello
09-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Oregon St. showed they belong in the top 20 but blew their comeback on the center snap over Katz' headYeah, I felt totally cheated watching that game. I hung in there waiting for the miracle comeback.

True freshman WR at Cal you're going to hear more about is this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PyQB7Blxc

09-05-2010, 07:26 PM
If ppl want to heavily criticize SC for a horrid defensive display, that's fine. But let's not forget the equally awful performance put on by the UCLA front seven (aside from Ayers), who apparently haven't visited a tackling clinic lately, either. Sorry, I'm a bitter Trojans fan, but I felt the urge to point this out. :)

mellojello
09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
If ppl want to heavily criticize SC for a horrid defensive display, that's fine. But let's not forget the equally awful performance put on by the UCLA front seven (aside from Ayers), who apparently haven't visited a tackling clinic lately, either. Sorry, I'm a bitter Trojans fan, but I felt the urge to point this out. :)

Ha, you're BITTER? SC is coming off one of the most incredible runs in college football history. Cal, despite all the talent that has come and gone in Tedford's era, along with the rest of the Pac 10 has been completely overshadowed by SC for almost a decade. Things at SC will never be the same, but you've got no reason to be bitter.

09-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Ha, you're BITTER? SC is coming off one of the most incredible runs in college football history. Cal, despite all the talent that has come and gone in Tedford's era, along with the rest of the Pac 10 has been completely overshadowed by SC for almost a decade. Things at SC will never be the same, but you've got no reason to be bitter.

Having experienced such astronomical levels of success leaves me very much reason to be bitter and let down by subpar performances like the one we witnessed Thursday. That's what great programs do, they don't settle for mediocrity. Of course, I comprehend the fact that we will probably never hit the same highs as before, but that certainly shouldn't subject/downgrade our standards to anything less than a national championship, when eligible.

I suppose I see things differently here.

mellojello
09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Having experienced such astronomical levels of success leaves me very much reason to be bitter and let down by subpar performances like the one we witnessed Thursday. That's what great programs do, they don't settle for mediocrity. Of course, I comprehend the fact that we will probably never hit the same highs as before, but that certainly shouldn't subject/downgrade our standards to anything less than a national championship, when eligible.

I suppose I see things differently here.I'm a Laker fan too, so I completely get it. When the Lakers don't compete for championships, I simply don't watch. SC isn't playing with a full deck of cards anymore, so despite the optimism from SC leadership, things are likely to get worse than better in the near term. From a national perspective, I think there was a misconception about SC football, with all the 5 star RB's and offensive players that SC recruited. During SC's run, it was the defense that was always most impressive to me. But I agree, that win against Hawaii was simply not good enough for SC standards. As for UCLA, they have gotten beaten up with injuries before the season even started and it's not going to be a pretty season for them.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
n0PyQB7Blxc

mellojello
09-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Oregon looks good

SC - man, I can't help but think that as soon as they lose a game, the wheels are going to come flying off...

Stanford - they look pretty good, but I can't stand Jim Harbaugh. I'm waiting for him to get knocked off his high horse again.

Arizona - they may actually be for real, finally

UCLA looks terrible.

Cal - underrated, you'll see. People got off the bandwaggon a little too soon.

Washington - TBD

niel89
09-14-2010, 03:36 AM
I like what Stanford is doing, but the run game is just not there yet. They have the talent but they need to gel still.

I'd honestly say that the Pac 10 is wide open still. A lot of these teams look pretty good.

LizardState
09-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Cal got shocked by the Nevada Wolfpack's pistol, without all Conference LB Mike Mohamed they were defensively unmanned. And the Wolfpack had them with a team speed advantage too.

Congrats to UCLA, after getting blown out by Andrew Luck & Stanford 35-0 they put 31 on Houston & upset the Cougars. Neuheisel is bringing them back but they had soooooo many preseason injuries to overcome.

Babylon
09-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Cal got shocked by the Nevada Wolfpack's pistol, without all Conference LB Mike Mohamed they were defensively unmanned. And the Wolfpack had them with a team speed advantage too.

Congrats to UCLA, after getting blown out by Andrew Luck & Stanford 35-0 they put 31 on Houston & upset the Cougars. Neuheisel is bringing them back but they had soooooo many preseason injuries to overcome.

It was a pretty good day for the Pac-10 with a near miss by ASU at Wisconsin then wins by UCLA,USC, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon ST........too bad they stink up in the state of Washington.

SickwithIt1010
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Just a question i was wondering about....but if USC were to somehow win the Pac 10, would the 2nd place team get the bid to the Rose Bowl or would they just give it to the next best team in the BCS Poll?

jballa838
09-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I'd go to the number two if they are BCS qualified. I guess they could just put Boise there if need be.

BuddyCHRIST
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Stanford sure is impressive, regardless of the competition its still ridiculous the way they are beating people. Its amazing what Harbaugh has done with that program.

summond822
09-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Just a question i was wondering about....but if USC were to somehow win the Pac 10, would the 2nd place team get the bid to the Rose Bowl or would they just give it to the next best team in the BCS Poll?

I think the bigger question is what if Oregon goes to the BCS title game and USC is second?

Do I think it's going to happen? Hell no, but while we're playing hypothetical, this one seems more fun.

fenikz
09-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Vontaze Burfict is the best LB in the country

jballa838
09-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Vontaze Burfict is the best LB in the country
I remember like 5 cheap shots during the UW-ASU game last year. Great players don't need to facemask people.

soybean
09-20-2010, 01:27 AM
dirty, dirty player...

with that being said...

We (USC) would have gladly taken that dirtbag off your hands...

fenikz
09-20-2010, 01:49 AM
oh no doubt, he is a mean son of a *****

iworshipbender
09-20-2010, 02:55 AM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1456/12507334.jpg

The ASU game worries me less than it should next week. It may be the way Oregon is putting points up or it may be ASU's terrible, terrible offensive line... But I just can't worry about this game next week even though it's in Tempe.

mellojello
09-20-2010, 04:06 AM

Hats off to Nevada. That offense is completely confusing, but Cal has always struggled against dual threat QB's and on the road.

UCLA is so unpredictable. Just when you think they aren't going to win any games, they pull this off. So typical for them...

niel89
09-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Hats off to Nevada. That offense is completely confusing, but Cal has always struggled against dual threat QB's and on the road.

UCLA is so unpredictable. Just when you think they aren't going to win any games, they pull this off. So typical for them...

Cal couldn't keep up with Kaepernick. He is a master at keeping or handing it off in that offense. The defense couldn't go full speed because of it.

With the exception of Wash St, I think that any Pac 10 team has a legit shot at beating any other Pac 10 team on any given day. It is still pretty wide open so far. I can't wait to get into some league play.

jballa838
09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
dirty, dirty player...

with that being said...

We (USC) would have gladly taken that dirtbag off your hands...
I was thinking about it, and if I had one year where I could have any linebacker in the conference on my team It'd be a tough choice between Gallippo, Foster, and Burfict. I'd end up going Burfict in most schemes though. He is really really good.

P-L
09-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Pretty sure Chris Galippo doesn't even start for USC.

jballa838
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Oh wow. I am outta touch when it comes to SC. Garrett Gilliand was the starting MLB for the Nebraska-UW game so I'd look at Galippo as an improvement over a true frosh.

mellojello
09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Congrats to UCLA for taking down Texas, although I can't say it was a huge surprise. Texas fans got a taste of the Pac 10's 9th worst team, and no, it's not a fluke! It really puts into perspective how tough the Pac 10 is.

Also, didn't UCLA beat Oklahoma twice (home & away) in the past 6 years?

On another note, I'm glad glad the Pac 10 is expanding. We've been canibalizing each other to our own detriment for far too long. Once we expand, we'll put 2 teams in BCS games on a regular basis.

Babylon
10-04-2010, 05:46 PM

He barely got on the field for the Trojans defense. I could almost see it if he were behind some real blue chipper but the guy in front of him is clueless both against the pass and the run.

On a sidenote i want to thank Lane Kiffin for basically bringing 3 timeouts to the locker room with him at the end of the USC vs Washington game. With about 2 minutes to go he let the Huskies run down the clock while in makable fg range. Kiffin looked confused and he was confused. He did use 2 of those to freeze the kicker, who was chuckling about it. We know how that strategy worked.

Sniper
10-16-2010, 08:31 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/12/sports/la-sp-usc-football-20101013

USC WR/Destroyer of Worlds Robert Woods to see some time at nickel as well as his usual WR duties.

mellojello
10-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Cal is terrible. I guess the preseason pundits were right, we are the 8th or 9th best team in the Pac 10.

LizardState
10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Cal blows on offense. When I tuned in they had had negative yardage & zero 1st downs -- SC owned them.

jballa838
10-17-2010, 10:28 AM
UW might make a bowl game if Cal keeps playing this bad. with how it draws out:
@Arizona - No Foles. UW could win this.
Stanford at Husky Stadium. Chalk this up as a loss.
@Oregon - Callin the upset. Wishful thinking as Oregon has too much Pac-10 speedz.
UCLA - rumors of all black jerseys. Night game at Husky Stadium on National TV. UW has this, only concern is the UCLA run game
@Cal - they could be coachless at this point. UW road win.
@WSU - Definite possibility to win.

mellojello
10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Cal blows on offense. When I tuned in they had had negative yardage & zero 1st downs -- SC owned them.Offense is 1 dimentional, which makes them too easy to predict. Riley sucks.

Babylon
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
UW might make a bowl game if Cal keeps playing this bad. with how it draws out:
@Arizona - No Foles. UW could win this.
Stanford at Husky Stadium. Chalk this up as a loss.
@Oregon - Callin the upset. Wishful thinking as Oregon has too much Pac-10 speedz.
UCLA - rumors of all black jerseys. Night game at Husky Stadium on National TV. UW has this, only concern is the UCLA run game
@Cal - they could be coachless at this point. UW road win.
@WSU - Definite possibility to win.

I'm seeing 6-6. We should beat Zona,Ucla, Cal and Wazoo but you know we wont win them all. 3-3 in the games i mentioned is more realistic.

LizardState
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
What do yall think of the new divisional alignment?

If Harbaugh leaves for the NFL as expected & Luck goes with him I think Oregon is going to own the North for yrs to come. If Cal's decline in the W-L rcd. & recruiting continues Tedford may go away too.

Strangely Utah & Colorado, where they have snow on both campuses every winter, LOL, are in the South but they drew the line diagonally NE to SW. I thought it would be East & West divisions, but wth.

That's good for them b/c they have more beatable teams there -- Arizona, UCLA, Arizona St. & a still down SC -- than in the North, where Harbaugh has turned Stanford into a talent magnet again & U-Dub under Sarkisian is getting stronger.

The 2 newbie teams will have to compete with the former Pac 10 for California Juco transfers but they're used to that. Being Pac 10 members with increased revenue can only help their prestige & with it their recruiting.

hawkeye123
10-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Should kick out Washington state and bring in Boise State.

Oregon vs Boise State every year? **** yes.

nrk
10-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm still surprised that the Pac 10 took Colorado.

soybean
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm still surprised that the Pac 10 took Colorado.

they just wanted the Denver TV market.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
That Cal offense sure is terrible.

LizardState
10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
That Cal offense sure is terrible.

b/c Riley blows.

he has always been awful, will continue to be awful, it was ever thus. Tedford is going to get canned.

SickwithIt1010
10-23-2010, 09:37 PM
b/c Riley blows.

he has always been awful, will continue to be awful, it was ever thus. Tedford is going to get canned.

i sense some sarcasm in his post...

might just be me.

mellojello
11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
There's a place for Tedford at Cal and I hope he doesn't get fired, but I'd like to see Cal hire Mike Bellotti as HC.

Tedford has done an incredible job with compliance and making sure the kids are staying out of trouble, but it's time Cal moves to the spread offense.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure scheme is Cal's problem. I really like Tedford a lot, but Cal has been one of the most inconsistent teams in the nation week-to-week for the last 3 seasons. If Tedford is the reason for that, he has to go.

mellojello
11-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure scheme is Cal's problem. I really like Tedford a lot, but Cal has been one of the most inconsistent teams in the nation week-to-week for the last 3 seasons. If Tedford is the reason for that, he has to go.Yeah, I read Cal is like 17 and 17 in Pac 10 play since 2007. That's not getting it done. As far as scheme, I think the problem is that we're effectively running the same offense as SC, but they consistently have superior talent. I don't see how we can ever consistenly get over the hump and now, with other teams on the rise, Cal has all kinds of other problems.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I think the scheme is a little different than USC, but the inconsistency issues aren't schematic. When the scheme works, it's hugely effective. Sometimes that team just doesn't show up to play, which is mystifying. The first real sign was that total collapse after they were ranked #2 in the nation, but things haven't really gotten better since then.

Having a real quarterback would help though. It wouldn't shock me if Boehm starts as a freshman next year, which should be interesting. I imagine that Tedford is guaranteed to be around for at least a few more years.

Sniper
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5827657

Southern California freshman tailback Dillon Baxter did not accompany the Trojans (No. 20 AP) on their flight to Saturday's game against Oregon State because of concerns he may have recently been in contact with an agent, USC coach Lane Kiffin said Friday.

"[Thursday], as [Baxter] was traveling across campus, he was given a ride in a golf cart by a couple students," Kiffin said in a video released on the school's official site. "Later we found out that one of these students may be an agent."

jballa838
11-27-2010, 06:54 PM
UW was clutch. Sark has kahones and UW is a win away from a bowl.

SickwithIt1010
11-27-2010, 07:05 PM
UW was clutch. Sark has kahones and UW is a win away from a bowl.

ill be at the cup!

jballa838
11-27-2010, 07:14 PM
ill be at the cup!
niceee. here's to a UW blowout.

SickwithIt1010
11-27-2010, 07:15 PM
niceee. here's to a UW blowout.

haha sure hope so! im goin with a bunch of WSU fans haha.

mellojello
12-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Congrats to Oregon fans. As a Cal fan, I envy your program and Chip Kelly is about as funny and classy as they come. Honestly, I wish he'd go away to the NFL or the SEC, but looks like we have to deal with him for many more years. Good luck in the NC game!

SickwithIt1010
12-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Congrats to Oregon fans. As a Cal fan, I envy your program and Chip Kelly is about as funny and classy as they come. Honestly, I wish he'd go away to the NFL or the SEC, but looks like we have to deal with him for many more years. Good luck in the NC game!

His offense wouldnt work in the NFL, but i wouldnt mind seeing him take off to an SEC school ways away from the Pac 10 haha.

diabsoule
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Fox just bought the rights to broadcast the Pac-12 Championship game for $25 million in 2011

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/144778

rainbeaukid2
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Fox just bought the rights to broadcast the Pac-12 Championship game for $25 million in 2011

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/144778

i'm happy to see that, luckily we won't get stuck with any crap cbs coverage, hopefully we can get some announces better than the fox sports net west that do a lot of the games; however, i doubt it will bring in the kind of revenue that the big 12 or sec championship games bring in

niel89
01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty excited that we are going to have a championship.

rainbeaukid2
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
i just hope that it doesn't turn into something like the SEC this year where one conference just completely dominated the other one. who knows if that'll happen in the future, but it seems like a possibility with oregon and stanford up top and usc ineligible to play, i wonder who from the south will even contend? Utah or Arizona?

ryno626
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/01/05/james-rodgers-granted-hardship-year-for-oregon-state/

James Rodgers granted a medical hardship to stay at Oregon State...will Quizz stick around?

fenikz
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
i just hope that it doesn't turn into something like the SEC this year where one conference just completely dominated the other one. who knows if that'll happen in the future, but it seems like a possibility with oregon and stanford up top and usc ineligible to play, i wonder who from the south will even contend? Utah or Arizona?

Arizona State looks like a solid pick, returning everyone but 2 starters, Erickson's classes are starting to mature

rainbeaukid2
01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Arizona State looks like a solid pick, returning everyone but 2 starters, Erickson's classes are starting to mature

We'll see, it'll be an interesting situation if USC easily is the best qualifier for it but then can't go to the championship because of sanctions. I just don't really see anyone else from the south having a great season next year