PDA

View Full Version : What NFL practice squad players make

Splat
09-06-2010, 09:11 AM
This is a question I have wondered about for awhile and here is the answer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Practice-squad-players-do-unheralded-work-for-go?urn=nfl-267513

Practice squad players will make a minimum of $5,200 per week as long as on they're on an NFL roster, and they can be signed by another team if that team intends to move them to the active roster. While on the practice squad, a player will take place in all weekly activities (practice, film, meals, training, etc,), but are not allowed to play in games.

Just a little FYI, not a bad living really.

Saints-Tigers
09-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Yea, you could do worse than that.

Draft King
09-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Pretty sweet considering they are still playing football.

Smooth Criminal
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Pretty good living. Sure, nothing compared to the guys around them, and job security is not very good, but thats good money to make.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2010, 11:10 AM
True to a point...but I ******* hated practice, when I played. So, it'd be nice to get payed for it, but ultimately for most...there is no real game payoff. Which is painful, when I think about. Because again, I hated practice with a passion in high school. I def. preferred to improve on my own time. Unless you played QB/K/P, practice was a *****, my whole life.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-06-2010, 11:11 AM
What practice squad players have gone on to do something in the NFL?

Day One Pick
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
This was an interesting article. I also always wondered what players made on the practice squad. I could get by on 20K a month...

'cuse-213
09-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Really? Players do all the time. At least for the Jets. Players become role players or get snatched up from another team and become pretty good. Derrick Ward was on the Jets PS at one point.

Crickett
09-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Thats kind of hard to determine given the low number of people actually keep track of who's gets on practice squads.

Ryan Grant maybe?

Brent
09-06-2010, 12:40 PM
88k a year, free gym membership and one of the best health care plans available. Sounds like a sweet gig.

AHungryWalrus
09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
88k a year, free gym membership and one of the best health care plans available. Sounds like a sweet gig.

Plus you hang out with rich and famous people. I guarantee some of these guys get to be good friends with the legit guys and ride their coat tails.

Practice squad is a VERY nice second option.

Halsey
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't agree with the view that many fans have that pro football players deserve to be set for life. Just because someone has a dangerous job for a few years doesn't mean they are entitled to never have to work again. The same people that act like football players are entitled to permanent financial security don't bother to make the same argument for firefighters, police, military, etc. Jobs that are much more dangerous than being a pro football player.

Saints-Tigers
09-06-2010, 12:48 PM
You get paid based on how many people can/will do your job.

AHungryWalrus
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM

That's not really true.

Do you think it's that much harder to be an NFL or NBA player than Astronaut?

21ST
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM

pretty much