PDA

View Full Version : Housh Signs With Baltimore

Hines
09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Damn. If Flacco and secondary takes that next step, this team will be scary good.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/23153938134

scottyboy
09-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Raymell baby-Boldin-Housh?

wow, the Ravens O looking REALLY good.

too bad their CB's are looking REALLY bad.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Pro Bowl back field with Ray Rice+McClain and one of the best backup RB's in the NFL in Mcgahee. O-Line with Jared Gaither and Oher on the outside, Grubbs and Birk inside. WR's Boldin and Housh on the outside, Derrick Mason in the slot. 4th string Mark Clayton and Stallworth as the deep threat once he gets back from injury. Really TE is the only questionable spot on offense and even there they have the reliable although lost explosiveness in Heap as well as the young guns Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Ravens offense can easily be top 5. They already had an elite run game and now their passing game could be great. Ravens need to worry on their defense though. Their secondary is poor. The Ravens should swing a trade for a CB to really make a super bowl statement.

Giantsfan1080
09-06-2010, 10:51 AM
It's not the same Ravens we remember but still going to be in the same place.

Smooth Criminal
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Damn they went and got Flacco some weapons. Im not thrilled about Housh being back in the AFCN.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
This signing at least makes it so that even if Q does go down with injury they aren't helpless. Last year no joke Dmase was the only target for Flacco. Having Mark Clayton as your #4 aint shabby either as he has ability to explode some games and being low on the depth chart makes his inconsistency a non factor. Heap has also looked really nice in the preseason and Dickson is a nice backup and will stretch the field. Pitta could be in the mix as well but probably not this year.

coordinator0
09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Pro Bowl back field with Ray Rice+McClain and one of the best backup RB's in the NFL in Mcgahee. O-Line with Jared Gaither and Oher on the outside, Grubbs and Birk inside. WR's Boldin and Housh on the outside, Derrick Mason in the slot. 4th string Mark Clayton and Stallworth as the deep threat once he gets back from injury. Really TE is the only questionable spot on offense and even there they have the reliable although lost explosiveness in Heap as well as the young guns Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta. Ravens offense can easily be top 5. They already had an elite run game and now their passing game could be great. Ravens need to worry on their defense though. Their secondary is poor. The Ravens should swing a trade for a CB to really make a super bowl statement.

Josh Wilson? IDK, having Washington, Webb, and Wilson puts us in a much better position than the end of last year when we were running with Foxworth, Carr, and Walker :(.

Love this signing though, Housh is definitely an upgrade over Clayton.

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Our CB's aren't terrible, we have Fabian Washington and Lardarius Webb starting, Webb being our most promising and arguably best CB. We just added Wilson who's not bad at all and Chris Carr looked a lot better as the season went on last year.

Webb - Washington - Wilson - Carr is a pretty solid defensive backfield, if we can bring consistent pressure on the QB, our defense should be fine.

Asf or adding Houshmanzadeh, I like the move.

Mason and Housh on the outside and put Boldin in the slot, where Cameron believes he will thrive. Our young TE's in Dickson (who's impressed a lot of coaches) is yet another weapon as well as Pitta who's no slouch either. Heap is still a threat over the middle and in the endzone as well.

I think it all comes down to Jared Gaither and Joe Flacco.

Gaither just needs to get on the field(solidifying the o-line), Flacco needs to show that he is capable of joining the ranks of Rivers, Romo, Schaub, etc.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Not bad corners but other than possibly Webb who's coming back from injury all of those corners are short. I'd be nice to add a bigger corner.

Splat
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Who's Boldin's Momma?

AHungryWalrus
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Damn. Wish he woulda signed week 2... Should be a great week one match-up.

Revis vs Boldin, Cro vs Housh.

It's a good offense. He fits their style. Plus, Boldin is still clearly the better player, so he won't have to deal with another Larry Fitz.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Don't sleep on Mason guys. He's still Flacco's favorite target and has some left in the tank.

Splat
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
People always have and always will sleep on Mason, it is what it is.

Crickett
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Damn. Wish he woulda signed week 2... Should be a great week one match-up.

Revis vs Boldin, Cro vs Housh.

It's a good offense. He fits their style. Plus, Boldin is still clearly the better player, so he won't have to deal with another Larry Fitz.

Don't sleep on Mason guys. He's still Flacco's favorite target and has some left in the tank.

Revis vs. Boldin, Cro vs. Housh, Wilson vs. Mason?

Fun for all.

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM

very true, Flacco looked his way more in the preseason and I doubt it will change in the regular season.

I'm curious to see who starts and who will be in the slot, back when Stallworth was healthy, the Ravens were planning to lineup like this when they went with 3 WR sets

Mason
Stallworth
Boldin - slot

now with Stallworth out and Housh in, I wonder how they'll do it since all three guys(Mason, Boldin, and Housh) are all possession WR's.

bigbluedefense
Can't wait to see that Jets/Ravens game.

Can't wait for week 1 period.

Brodeur
Slowest trio of receivers ever?

Splat
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Mark Clayton is on the trade block (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/06/mark-clayton-is-on-the-trade-block/)

Will more then likely just get cut.

Basileus777
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
It seems like an odd fit. How many possession receivers can one team really utilize?

Nalej
09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
All 3 are first down machines though

VAfy-ya
09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Nice move by the Ravens. This lastest move along with the McCann signing, makes you my Waiver Wire Sweepstakes winner.

Still thought the Skins were a better fit for Housh. A offesenive-minded HC who wants to throw the ball and put pressure on defenses. One of the better young OC in the game. A guy like Moss I thought complimented Housh's strengths perfectly. Just seemed like a better situation to walk into and have an immediate impact. Still though, not a bad move at all going to B-More.

NIN1984
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Gotta love the Ravens offense right now. Two big physical WRs, great O-line, great running game, Flacco could be in for a huge season.

coordinator0
09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
It seems like an odd fit. How many possession receivers can one team really utilize?

We don't care, it's better than what we've ever had before. Releasing/trading Clayton is also an improvement by itself...

BroadwayJoe10
09-06-2010, 01:53 PM
So now instead of two aging possession receivers, they have three?? I've always liked Housh, but if I'm the Ravens, I'm pretty indifferent about this signing.

703SKINS202
09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Like others have been saying this is a team with strictly possession WR's. Housh is a chain mover, nothing more. I would like to see them work Stallworth into that offense to give them a new dynamic.

boknows34
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The Ravens have just traded Mark Clayton to the Rams for a late-rd pick according to Mort.

RaiderNation
09-06-2010, 02:19 PM
TJ shoulda came to Oakland :(

But damn Baltimore is stacked. Picked them to go to the superbowl a few monthes ago and damn they keep getting better

AHungryWalrus
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM
So now instead of two aging possession receivers, they have three?? I've always liked Housh, but if I'm the Ravens, I'm pretty indifferent about this signing.

Quan doesn't really count as an "aging" receiver. You could call him that in 2 years.

Splat
09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Like others have been saying this is a team with strictly possession WR's. Housh is a chain mover, nothing more. I would like to see them work Stallworth into that offense to give them a new dynamic.

He has a broken foot.

A Perfect Score
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
People getting concerned over the number of possession receivers on the offense are crazy. Its still a running team...look at the backfield, its stacked. You can bet Ray Rice will be the centrepiece of the offense and once again the passing game, which now features 3 excellent intermediate receivers who all excel at catching first down passes and working the middle as well as gaining YAC, will complement the running game. Assuming Flacco takes a step forward and eliminates some of the mistakes he made last year, this is a very dangerous offense that should have no trouble moving the chains. It might not be as explosive as an offense like the Colts, but I've no doubt it could be as effective in its own right.

In summary, we don't need someone to run deep routes or stretch vertically. This is a grind it out, tough offense and the receivers say as much.

703SKINS202
09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
He has a broken foot.
Damn I guess I missed that. So who do they have behind these 3 guys if Clayton got traded? I know he has basically been a career disapointment but he is good depth.

A Perfect Score
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I would assume 5th round pick David Reed will be the #4 guy, and he's shown real promise working out of the slot so far. Hopefully in time he develops into something worthwhile, because the trade of Mark Clayton just illustrates another first round bust at WR for us.

coordinator0
09-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I would assume 5th round pick David Reed will be the #4 guy, and he's shown real promise working out of the slot so far. Hopefully in time he develops into something worthwhile, because the trade of Mark Clayton just illustrates another first round bust at WR for us.

Well, we've only taken 2 WR in the first round so it's not like we have a long history of bad picks in the first round at that position.

gpngc
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Houshmandzadeh is atrocious. I think it's pretty telling that the Seahawks paid him $7 million to leave.

Sportsfan486
09-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Houshmandzadeh is atrocious. I think it's pretty telling that the Seahawks paid him $7 million to leave.

The Seahawks are rebuilding and he didn't fit into their plans (plus he wasn't a good fit for that team and wasn't happy.) I am surprised they didn't manage to get something for him but it doesn't change the fact that he's not a great receiver but he's a solid one.

I don't really think this improves the Ravens all that much, though. He's a good #3 for picking up first downs but it kind of makes their offense that much more plodding.

J-Mike88
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
The Ravens were good, but had some holes. WR and CB.
And they have been aggressive and brought in some players in an attempt to fill those holes.

Contrast that to my Packers team, who basically chose to roll with the same cast-o-characters at CB and OLB as last year, with 2 undrafted guys Zombo and Shields the only additions to those spots.

Time will tell which strategy worked better. Hopefully the 2 teams meet in Dallas and settle it. In that case, both would be a success IMO. Win or lose that game.

J-Mike88
09-06-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree. His speed.... at this point (what is he, 34 now?) he's basically a skinny TE with bad hair.

coordinator0
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Mark Clayton is worse, trust me.

Splat
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Seattle was just flat out bad as a team last year and T.J. still put up all most 1000 yards, he is not a great player but still a nice pick up for a team that was all ready pretty good.

gpngc
09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Seattle was just flat out bad as a team last year and T.J. still put up all most 1000 yards, he is not a great player but still a nice pick up for a team that was all ready pretty good.

He's terrible.

He only put up those stats because he whined for the ball and was targeted a million times because the coaches wanted him to be what his contract said he was. He gets very little separation, is not a deep threat, and is not good after the catch. The only time he looks good is when the play call sets him up wide open.

He's awful. Derrick Mason is 100x better.

Babylon
09-06-2010, 04:17 PM
He's terrible.

He only put up those stats because he whined for the ball and was targeted a million times because the coaches wanted him to be what his contract said he was. He gets very little separation, is not a deep threat, and is not good after the catch. The only time he looks good is when the play call sets him up wide open.

He may find a better fit there with some better talent around him and the sniff of the post season but i'm with you on letting him go. The problem for the Hawks offense is it keeps getting worse from what i can see. The offensive line is going from bad to bad with no experience together.

Brodeur
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
He's terrible.

I agree with this. Nate Burleson easily out-played him last year.

Smooth Criminal
09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
He's an uprgrade over Clayton certainly. In that sense, its a cheap upgrade for Baltimore. I think its a good move.

Brown Leader
09-07-2010, 01:15 AM
I agree. His speed.... at this point (what is he, 34 now?) he's basically a skinny TE with bad hair.

Bad Hair? Let me guess, your rocking one of these...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y9gRJYyfWSw/S2iHXae1-SI/AAAAAAAAAys/RWJYZ_pX1yQ/s200/300-jersey-shore-guys.jpg

Slow, little yac, just clutch. TJ is still hungry and now will play with an even bigger chip. The only drawback will be crash learning a new offense. Leaving Seattle was about the Seahawks bottoming out/rebuilding and a new rah rah coach. **** on him if u will but Cincinnati would have made serious noise with him last year. He's more a leader than Ocho and TO put together.

XxXdragonXxX
09-07-2010, 01:35 AM
I agree with this. Nate Burleson easily out-played him last year.

You're only saying that because Burleson is a Lion now.

Although you are right. lol.