PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady extension is imminent?

Splat
09-07-2010, 09:09 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/07/report-tom-brady-extension-is-imminent/

The Boston Herald is reporting via Karen Guregian and Ron Borges that a contract extension between the Patriots and Tom Brady (http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/23237654232) is "imminent."

The parameters: A three-year, $58 million extension. (His 2010 money would apparently stay the same at $6.5 million, making it a four-year, $64.5 million deal.)

The paper cautions that the deal isn't formally agreed to by Brady's camp (sorta a big part of the equation), but a deal "could be in place within the next 24 hours."

Don Vito
09-07-2010, 09:10 AM
About time, this is a very good thing. Needed to get done.

Smooth Criminal
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Obviously a deal was going to get done. No way Brady leaves NE.

Nalej
09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't see how the jets can have a top 5 drafted QB, Revis, Brick, mangold amomg others and the pats can't sign Brady, moss and wilfork.

Shiver
09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Did Gisele walk into the room?

abaddon41_80
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
That is a lot of money.

FlyingElvis
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
looks like he's sick of taking a discount on his salary at those rates... $6.5m to the $20m neighborhood seems like it may make it difficult to retain moss (for starters).

My guess is they give him a whopping raise this year since it's uncapped.

But there has to be something that I don't understand right in all of this b/c it seems to me like teams would WANT to sign guys this year, pay them big money up front and take advantage of the "uncapped" year. There must be concern that tactics like that would be penalized in the (potentially) upcoming CBA.

What do I know . . . I'm just a beer swilling sap living vicariously . . .

FlyingElvis
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree, though this is the very reason I would think Moss would just shut up and work on it all quietly. I'm not sure why he thinks he's more valuable than the QB or NT. Now that they're done the FO can move on to the next guys.

But I'm ok with Randy playing for a contract, assuming he does it right instead of gator arming everything and barely running like he did in Oakland.

Jvig43
09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I agree, though this is the very reason I would think Moss would just shut up and work on it all quietly. I'm not sure why he thinks he's more valuable than the QB or NT. Now that they're done the FO can move on to the next guys.

But I'm ok with Randy playing for a contract, assuming he does it right instead of gator arming everything and barely running like he did in Oakland.

That hasnt looked like its the case from him during camp and the preseason, so hopefully when he says hes taking it and stride and just going to move forward he means it.

BlindSite
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
i figure moss sort of has to. i mean, if he all but quits on the patriots this season, he will not get another big deal for likely the rest of his career (given his age). i have to imagine he's matured a bit and realizes that, whatever he thinks of his salary this year, the best way to change that is to bust ***, and then give robert kraft a middle finger at the end of the year, rather than starting with b and failing to do a.

THIS, Moss has a knock on him as being a whiner and a bit of a cancer, him coming out saying he's disappointed is a message to 32 teams to have a cheque ready, because he's going to be 10+ TDs good again this year failing injury and will want one more big pay day, he won't **** it up refusing to play or anything of the like.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
My guess is they give him a whopping raise this year since it's uncapped.

But there has to be something that I don't understand right in all of this b/c it seems to me like teams would WANT to sign guys this year, pay them big money up front and take advantage of the "uncapped" year. There must be concern that tactics like that would be penalized in the (potentially) upcoming CBA.

What do I know . . . I'm just a beer swilling sap living vicariously . . .

Exactly. Fans forget that players don't get paid in monopoly money, these owners are really having to write these fat ass checks.

descendency
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
As good as Moss is, this could be one of his last great seasons but he will want to be paid like a top WR. I wouldn't pay a 34 year old WR that kind of money.