PDA

View Full Version : Which of the Big 4 WR's Is the Most Talented?

goodlookin
09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Green....Jones/Floyd & Baldwin....this seems to be the consensus ranking of players based on talent alone. They all project to be #1 based on talent and eye ball tests. That aside which one projects to be a pros pro...granited these are kids who for the most part are younger than me (im 22) but maturity level is a big factor for wideouts...i want my wide recievers to be of the Andre and Larry mental mindset not the Randy and TO diva flamboyance..I am a diehard pats fan but randy can be a lil *****....so basically what im saying is moving forward which of these college WO projects to be a pros pro. I only know a lot about Floyd bc im a ND homer but he seems to be a legit, well mannered kid. Feel free to throw other WO in there who you think project to this groupings talent level....have at it.

Babylon
09-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd be inclined to say Ronald Johnson of USC could crack that lineup if one of the fab 4 slip, not likely.

The only one of the group that i might shy away from based on appearances is Jullio Jones. That might not be based on anything more than i dont like the Tide.

SenorGato
09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Green and Jones are the only ones with that "best WR in the league" talk potential. It seems like Green might have the character advantage. Intangibles out of all of them it's probably Floyd.

tjsunstein
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Give me Michael Floyd outside of just talent.

Don Vito
09-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I really haven't heard anything negative about any of them when it comes to character, the closest thing to it is Green's recent suspension. I don't think there is much to worry about with any of them, at least as far as I know. It could be easy to say Michael Floyd for the sheer fact he goes to Notre Dame, but like I said I've never really heard anything bad about any of these guys.

So I'll take...

1. Green
2. Jones
3. Floyd
4. Baldwin

tjsunstein
09-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Michael Floyd got an underage at the University of Minnesota

ESPN

"I've had a chance to sit down with Michael," Kelly said. "We reinforced to him ... that making good choices is going to be paramount to his success in this football program." University of Minnesota police responded on Jan. 8 to a call of an alleged physical altercation on a Minneapolis street. According to police reports, Floyd, with blood on his hands, shirt and feet, admitted to having "a couple shots" and being involved in a physical dispute. The St. Paul native was cited along with four other individuals and released.

A.J. Green's recent suspension.

AP
Georgia star receiver A.J. Green was suspended by the NCAA for four games on Wednesday for selling a bowl jersey for $1,000 to someone who qualifies as an agent.

Julio Jones had the fishing trip go under the radar.

Crimson Confidential
This is the second-straight year one or more Tide players have been in NCAA limbo heading into the season-opener because of an offseason incident. Last year, it was Mark Ingram and Julio Jones. The two offensive stars, who came under scrutiny because of a fishing trip, didn't get NCAA clearance until the week before the Virginia Tech game.

Jonathan Baldwin comes up clean. Aside from an underage and maybe a fight, this crop passes the white glove test.

K Train
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
love me some jones and floyd

LonghornsLegend
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I just wanna say that Julio Jones catch week 1 was absolutely ridiculous, that's what people see when they rank him #1, if he can bring that consistently his potential is through the roof.

Don Vito
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I just wanna say that Julio Jones catch week 1 was absolutely ridiculous, that's what people see when they rank him #1, if he can bring that consistently his potential is through the roof.

Yup, everyone knows he is an absolute freak of nature but they worry about him disappearing. If he produces this year in that run heavy offense and keeps showing up on the highlight reel, he will absolutely go top 10 and could be the first receiver taken. I have always been a big fan of Jones because he is so damn talented, right now I still think Green is #1 but a good year out of Jones and he could move from #2 to #1 in my book. Jones is certainly no slouch when it comes to talent (neither are Baldwin or Floyd), but Julio is the most talented in this amazing group of wideouts if you ask me. That catch was ******* insane.

TitanHope
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
He's not in the Jr. group's league, but Sr. WR Austin Pettis was incredibly impressive the other night. Not only did he make play after play on offense, but he also was the holder for field goals and he played special teams. If you want a WR who'll be a "pro's pro" and will do whatever is asked to help the team, I think Pettis is the top guy.

As for my choice out of the 4, I choose A.J. Green. Here's a guy who stepped into the SEC as a true freshman, and has produced at an elite level every single year. I know Jones had a great freshman year too, but he wasn't as good as Green was this past season. For me, there's just something about players who are elite from day one that become impossible to pass on. I think he has the highest floor of any of the said 4 WR's, but he's still a great athlete - The guy was a top basketball player as well. And I haven't heard anything negative about the guy. He made a stupid mistake by selling his jersey, but as long as that stays an isolated incident, he doesn't have any character concerns.

Don Vito
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Pettis was all over the place the other night. You have to love it when a team's top wideout is a legit pro prospect and he's on special teams blocking punts and looking totally fired up. He had two big TD catches, Pettis was definitely very impressive.

goodlookin
09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
ya i came real close to putting pettis in this discussion as well..he was extremely impressive and his versatility cant go unmentioned...those abilities and willingness are so valuable. I just have seen enough of him to make a decision at this point and have no idea of his big play ability which lets be honest if your taking a WO in the 1st round is an important factor. My only knock on floyd is the level of competition but he always produces so you cant fault him for that...level of competition can be said for baldwin as well..the corners in the big east aint exactly world beaters but his raw athletical ability is compelling. Time will tell

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2010, 12:46 AM
I'd be inclined to say Ronald Johnson of USC could crack that lineup if one of the fab 4 slip, not likely.

The only one of the group that i might shy away from based on appearances is Jullio Jones. That might not be based on anything more than i dont like the Tide.

I'm the same way about FLoyd, it's really hard for me to look at him objectively as a prospect because he's a skill player from ND.

JHL6719
09-09-2010, 01:22 AM
What was the deal with the groping the female incident that Baldwin was involved in?

K Train
09-09-2010, 01:40 AM
im gonna love seeing everyone hop back on the julio wagon after being so down on him in the offseason

AntoinCD
09-09-2010, 03:31 AM
I am sticking to my stance that the only WR who can be a better prospect at the end of the year than Green is Julio. If he can put it all together he will be scary good.

Of the 4 none of them seem to have any of the worries of WRs in the last few years.

hockey619
09-09-2010, 09:13 AM
All have some worries but all look like they could become world beaters

Julio: drops, inconsistency

AJ: very skinny (fragile in the pros), top speed for his size?(nitpicking)

Floyd: injuries, speed

Baldwin: COD, routes

JHL6719
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
All have some worries but all look like they could become world beaters

Julio: drops, inconsistency

AJ: very skinny (fragile in the pros), top speed for his size?(nitpicking)

Floyd: injuries, speed

Baldwin: COD, routes

I'll take a stab on WR's with drops, inconsistency, questionable mass, and top speed for his size as question marks or nitpicking....

I won't be so quick to take a stab on WR's with questionable COD, route running, injuries, etc...

I think I can put weight on a kid, and help him with the occassional drop and inconsistency (focus)...

I can't help a kid have better COD or ability to create separation against NFL DB's...

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2010, 10:06 AM
What's COD??

So I can pretend like I knew all time what it meant!!lol

yourfavestoner
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
im gonna love seeing everyone hop back on the julio wagon after being so down on him in the offseason

He's the only one I've seen extensively. He's definitely talented, but I don't know if I'm too crazy about him.

His leaping ability and hand-eye coordination makes him great for going up and getting jump balls. I still don't know how well he'll be able to separate in the pros, though.

I basically see a poor man's Fitzgerald with him. Or a Reggie Williams that can actually track the ball in the air.

yourfavestoner
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
What's COD??

So I can pretend like I knew all time what it meant!!lol

Change of direction.

ThePudge
09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd say Green is most talented right now. Julio Jones certainly looks the part & I would not dismiss a great year from him. Baldwin was blessed with the most physical ability, but he's not the most talented football player. Michael Floyd may be the most skilled of the bunch, but likewise, he may also be the least physically gifted. Can't go wrong at this point with saying A.J. Green.

LonghornsLegend
09-09-2010, 10:39 AM
He's the only one I've seen extensively. He's definitely talented, but I don't know if I'm too crazy about him.

His leaping ability and hand-eye coordination makes him great for going up and getting jump balls. I still don't know how well he'll be able to separate in the pros, though.

I basically see a poor man's Fitzgerald with him. Or a Reggie Williams that can actually track the ball in the air.

I guess I can see a poor mans Fitz, but I've never liked the Reggie Williams comparisons because he's always looked like a superior player to anything Reggie was in College. Julio seems like TO in that he's probably gonna drop some balls at the next level, and some of them may be really easy passes. Then he'll make the big game changing play, make all the tough catches, but he probably won't ever be known to have hands like Fitzgerald does.

That's why I always see more TO in him then anything, even down to the inconsistencies which has pretty much always plauged TO. I'm pretty sure TO was dropping a ton of balls in Philly and Dallas even while scoring more then 12 TD's, it just became more obvious as he got older and there weren't as many big plays.

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, yfs.

For a rookie WR, the ability to run accurate, precise routes, on top of having outstanding hands just puts them so far ahead on the learning curve for the pro game.
Of the four, I think AJ Green makes the biggest impact early on. All four of these guys at this point look like future starters, and at least 3 look like future #1s.

AJ Green reminds me a lot of Braylon Edwards, without the poor ball concentration problems.

K Train
09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
TO is pretty mucht the general consensus comparison for julio.....and id take TO any day. hes a game changer and a crushing blocker....does he need to polish up his game? absolutely hes just going off of raw talent and has been for a few years now....but honestly so has baldwin, so did calvin, so do alot of receivers that are just men among boys in college and can beast their way through school

Nalej
09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I like Julio over AJ... slightly... Floyd is a beast as well

tjsunstein
09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
What was the deal with the groping the female incident that Baldwin was involved in?

PITTSBURGH — University of Pittsburgh receiver Jonathan Baldwin has been cleared of all charges for allegedly groping a female student on a campus bus.
An Allegheny County judge on Monday acquitted Baldwin of indecent assault, harassment and disorderly conduct.
A campus police officer testified during Baldwin's nonjury trial that the player admitted smacking the student's buttocks on the shuttle bus. Campus police say the woman complained of the alleged assault April 18 and charges were filed the next day.
Judge Kevin Sasinoski, however, says there is no evidence of indecent assault.
It's just about as much of a story as the Jones fishing trip.

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Shades of Sanchez and his sexual assault charge at USC. Nothing to see here folks.

hockey619
09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
AJ Green, without a doubt. His body control, hands, leaping, its all there hes just unstoppable and makes unbelievable catches. He looks like an NFL player when he catches the ball. Highpoints it, good body position, dude looks like hes gunna be great.

After that i think its about even. Floyd highpoints the ball well but hes not as fast or as athletic or has the vertical hes given credit for. He does get the jump balls but i think a lot of that is the incredibly inferior competition and his natural size.

Julio drops to many and can look a little stiff at times, just not natural catching the ball, but in the end hes prob #2 to Green after this year if he can lose the drops, i just see shades of TO. very similar.

Baldwin has tons of upside and potential. Big guy, good hands, makes some crazy catches, but gets no seperation and is very raw. Not nearly as fast as some claim, but fast enough for sure. I think him and floyd are even.

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
We'll see about the 40 times, but don't be surprised of this group if Baldwin tests the fastest.

True he doesn't really get the kind of separation one expects from a top prospect all the time, but it doesn't prevent him from being in a position to catch the football.

TitanHope
09-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I don't see the speed that Baldwin supposedly has - at least, not compared to the other WR's. The guy's certainly talented and I'm betting he's batting 4.45, which is awesome considering his size, but the agility isn't there (which goes into the change of direction that YFS brought up - he looks so stiff and rigid and not fluid at all). Seems like it's all straight line speed, but I haven't seen enough of him against press coverage to see how that'll translate.

I'm still hoping he lands with San Diego. He's perfect for that scheme/replacing VJax, and I actually compare him to [a rich man's, prospective wise] Malcolm Floyd, who is having career success in that offensive scheme.

TACKLE
09-09-2010, 06:20 PM
As far as who is purely the most talented WR, the guy I'd have to take a long hard look at DeAndre Brown. He has crazy size at 6'6 240 and obviously is a dangerous jump ball threat. But the thing that impresses me most is his short area explosiveness and change of direction. Almost all 6'4+ WR's struggle with quickness and change of direction but DeAndre is surprisingly impressive in that area. He is a really intriguing prospect who's talent and upside is just as good if not better than any WR in this draft class.

Don Vito
09-09-2010, 06:25 PM
As far as who is purely the most talented WR, the guy I'd have to take a long hard look at DeAndre Brown. He has crazy size at 6'6 240 and obviously is a dangerous jump ball threat. But the thing that impresses me most is his short area explosiveness and change of direction. Almost all 6'4+ WR's struggle with quickness and change of direction but DeAndre is surprisingly impressive in that area. He is a really intriguing prospect who's talent and upside is just as good if not better than any WR in this draft class.

As far as pure talent is concerned, Brown is a beast but there are a lot of red flags on him. First off, he had to go to Southern Miss because his grades scared even schools like Ole Miss and Bama off. Secondly, he had a serious season ending knee injury last year. Thirdly (and most importantly), he looked like the laziest P.O.S. in the world against South Carolina. Did not want to be on the field.

He had an amazing freshman year and is talented, but he still has a lot to prove after his injury and his performance against SCAR. I know Stephen Gilmore is nasty, but Brown looked like he didn't care. He needs to put some numbers up this year and dominate against the C-USA talent he usually faces, he certainly has the ability to do so.

derza222
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I don't see the speed that Baldwin supposedly has - at least, not compared to the other WR's. The guy's certainly talented and I'm betting he's batting 4.45, which is awesome considering his size, but the agility isn't there (which goes into the change of direction that YFS brought up - he looks so stiff and rigid and not fluid at all). Seems like it's all straight line speed, but I haven't seen enough of him against press coverage to see how that'll translate.

I'm still hoping he lands with San Diego. He's perfect for that scheme/replacing VJax, and I actually compare him to [a rich man's, prospective wise] Malcolm Floyd, who is having career success in that offensive scheme.

Okay, so I'm not the only one. He's definitely relatively fast, especially for his size, but I don't see that speed out there all the time. In fact, with that poor COD, he almost looks like a tight end at times. I get that he's an explosive athlete from his size, but I'm pretty sure there were Randy Moss comparisons getting tossed out in a different thread and I don't see that at all. I've questioned my judgement because everybody talks about how ridiculously freaky he is, but when I watch him I just don't see it.

TACKLE
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
As far as pure talent is concerned, Brown is a beast but there are a lot of red flags on him. First off, he had to go to Southern Miss because his grades scared even schools like Ole Miss and Bama off. Secondly, he had a serious season ending knee injury last year. Thirdly (and most importantly), he looked like the laziest P.O.S. in the world against South Carolina. Did not want to be on the field.

He had an amazing freshman year and is talented, but he still has a lot to prove after his injury and his performance against SCAR. I know Stephen Gilmore is nasty, but Brown looked like he didn't care. He needs to put some numbers up this year and dominate against the C-USA talent he usually faces, he certainly has the ability to do so.

I didn't say he was the best. There are certainly some some things he could do a lot better. The original question was who is the most talented and I think you'd have to agree that Brown belongs right near the top of that list.

yourfavestoner
09-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna have to see how/if Jones has improved at all. His freshman and sophomore seasons, I saw way too much Reggie Williams/Roy Williams/Matt Jones. The athleticism is obviously there, but can he sink his hips and get in and out of his cuts? Can he build speed quickly and maintain it throughout his route, or is he just a long strider who isn't really moving until he hits fifth gear?

TitanHope
09-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I have DeAndre Brown as my #5 WR after Green, Baldwin, Jones, and Floyd. He's got them juicy thighs.

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/c-usa/graphics/champ/deandre-brown-runs-in-the-n.jpg

Not Ray Rice juicy, but not bad for a WR.

bruschis4all
09-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Anyone else under-whelmed by 3/4? Jones/Baldwin/Floyd. AJ Green has probably moved up by being suspended. Doubt the NFL holds selling a jersey for a grand against him. Just don't see the game-breaking ability in them that I thought we would.

AntoinCD
09-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Anyone else under-whelmed by 3/4? Jones/Baldwin/Floyd. AJ Green has probably moved up by being suspended. Doubt the NFL holds selling a jersey for a grand against him. Just don't see the game-breaking ability in them that I thought we would.

Baldwin and Floyd? Yes. Jones? No. On Saturday he caught quite a few clutch grabs for 1st downs and was a pass interference penalty and two overthrows away from having at least 150yds and 3 TDs against Arkansas.

hockey619
09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Jones got lucky on that pass interference.

The guy fell down after he interfered and jones was free to catch the ball...and it went right through his hands. its pathetic how poor his catching is, yet hes considered so great.

Out of these four its still clearly:

Green
Floyd/Baldwin

Jones

ElectricEye
09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Like the DeAndre Brown mention. He's a talent for sure, but yeah, it hasn't been smooth sailing for him the past few years. Doubt he comes out this year because of that.

As far as the question, I think Julio is the most talented. Few guys come along who are built like him. AJ Green is a better prospect at this point, but Jones is more talented.

RealityCheck
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm gonna say Green, Baldwin and Floyd are 1a, 1b and 1c and then Julio.
In my opinion, Jones has something missing in order to be in par with the first three, maybe it's the inconsistency.

But then Ronald Johnson, DeAndre Brown and Jerrel Jernigan are almost up there.