PDA

View Full Version : Former FSU QB's

shylo3716
09-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Why have former FSU QB's Charlie Ward,Adrian McPherson,& Xavier Lee failed as top notch QB's to move on to the NFL?

I have began to wonder that it was, because of Bobby Bowden's coaching. I can't speak on Ward or McPherson, but as far as Lee goes he was the #2 overall rated QB coming out of HS in the 2004 class. Bowden slowed Lee up by starting Drew Weatherford over him, & trying to convert him into a tight end which I believe that was the biggest mistake by far(wasting Lee's talent). Although I am not a Noles fan I would love to see E.J. Manuel get his shot, now that Jimbo Fisher took over. I would've hated to see his talent go to waste under Bowden.

Ozzy
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
shylo3716 I have began to wonder that it was, because of Bobby Bowden's coaching. I can't speak on Ward or McPherson, but as far as Lee goes he was the #2 overall rated QB coming out of HS in the 2004 class. Bowden slowed Lee up by starting Drew Weatherford over him, & trying to convert him into a tight end which I believe that was the biggest mistake by far(wasting Lee's talent). Although I am not a Noles fan I would love to see E.J. Manuel get his shot, now that Jimbo Fisher took over. I would've hated to see his talent go to waste under Bowden.Dude if Lee was that good, he would be a project backup in the NFL much like Cassel was for a few years. The kid is simply not that good at quarterback, obviously if Lee was better than Weatherford and made better decisions on the field he would have played over him. Same with Manuel, you going to play him over Ponder? Why, just because of his potential down the road?

Any black quarterback on Florida State, everyone thinks hey they will be the next Charlie Ward. Even with McPherson, the kid got kicked out of school I believe, so obviously that was not Bowden's fault McPherson could not stay out of trouble.

Shoot even D’Vontrey Richardson had some impressive talents as a young player but never developed as a complete quarterback and if he did he would have played.

This was all because of Bobby Bowden's coaching, please, if he made all these mistakes so to speak in coaching quarterbacks they technically they would have succeeded greatly in the NFL once they got out from under his supposed wing.

Let us not forget, Florida State is one of the greatest dynasties in college football and had some of the greatest teams in college football over the past decade or more. Much less the fact that they produced some of the best defensive talent in the NFL from any school.

So forget this Bobby Bowden made them bad crap, we will see how many titles won and how many stars in the NFL Jimbo creates because he is so superior? Please.

BigJohn98
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
After the 2000 season, it's all been due to coaching, coaching, and...coaching.

BigJohn98
09-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Why have former FSU QB's Charlie Ward,Adrian McPherson,& Xavier Lee failed as top notch QB's to move on to the NFL?

I have began to wonder that it was, because of Bobby Bowden's coaching. I can't speak on Ward or McPherson, but as far as Lee goes he was the #2 overall rated QB coming out of HS in the 2004 class. Bowden slowed Lee up by starting Drew Weatherford over him, & trying to convert him into a tight end which I believe that was the biggest mistake by far(wasting Lee's talent). Although I am not a Noles fan I would love to see E.J. Manuel get his shot, now that Jimbo Fisher took over. I would've hated to see his talent go to waste under Bowden.

No one wasted Xavier Lee's talent but Xavier Lee himself. He had all the talent in the world, but he lacked a brain. The dude didn't know the playbook. Didn't understand the mental game. And I don't know where you get this trying to convert him to tight end stuff. We never did that while he was at FSU.

And no, EJ Manuel will get his shot when Christian Ponder graduates. Manuel was a serviceable backup last year, but he's not ready to take over as full-time starter.

Halsey
09-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Brad Johnson says hi.

As for the QBs that were previously mentioned, I think there was a conspiracy at FSU to purposely derail their chances at a pro career.

BuddyCHRIST
09-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Jeff freaking Bowden, and Bobby to a large extent.

Theres a reason why Chris Rix and Drew Weatherford's freshmen years were their best. But then after that, they never progressed and generally got worse.

Charlie Ward played in the NBA, and none of the other guys were very good in college, much less pro prospects. Xavier Lee was the laziest mofo on the team, by his 3rd year in the program he only knew about 1/3 of the playbook. They only tried to convert him to TE after his 4th year when he still knew nothing about playing QB. Bowden didn't slow him up, you can't put a guy on the field if he doesnt know the plays.

McPhereson showed flashes before he was booted, but with the former coaching staff, he probably would have regressed like everyone else.

But all that is in the past now, the old offensive coaching staffs were such a joke. Its a totally different program now.

Manuel is going to get his shot when he is a RS Junior like the plan is, he played and got reps last year and will continue to do that this year. But CP7 is in front of him, and he's not too bad.

Saints-Tigers
09-10-2010, 12:41 PM
McPherson looked like he was really starting to make strides with the Saints, and was showing well when he was hit by the Titans mascot on a golfcart, and cut soon after when he couldn't play.

wonderbredd24
09-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Including Ward in this is silly... the dude chose not to play in the NFL for an NBA Career when he wasn't going to be drafted as high as he should.

So it's impossible to know whether or not he would've failed as an NFL QB

Babylon
09-10-2010, 01:25 PM
^
Ward wouldnt have made it as a passer in the NFL. Of course there is always the comment that "if Seneca Wallace can make it........"

As Halsey points out Brad Johnson did ok, (even off the bench at FSU) and certainly Ponder should make it. I'd be less critical of the system or what's in the water down there and more criitical of the talent level of some of these guys projecting to the next level.

shylo3716
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
No one wasted Xavier Lee's talent but Xavier Lee himself. He had all the talent in the world, but he lacked a brain. The dude didn't know the playbook. Didn't understand the mental game. "And I don't know where you get this trying to convert him to tight end stuff. We never did that while he was at FSU."

And no, EJ Manuel will get his shot when Christian Ponder graduates. Manuel was a serviceable backup last year, but he's not ready to take over as full-time starter.

Well I didn't know about him not knowing the playbook which is ridiculous SMDH, but Jimbo did tell him they wanted him to play TE.

nepg
09-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I love how people always look for an FSU QB to be an NFL prospect... How many NFL QBs has FSU produced? Brad Johnson and Chris Weinke? GTFO. They're just not a QB school.

shylo3716
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
After Ward I thought McPherson was going to be the next best thing, but he just couldn't seem to get his act right off the field...... Whatever happened to Anquan Boldin playing QB?

BuddyCHRIST
09-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Anquan wanted to get on the field so we switched him to WR, and he was so good he ended up sticking

And the whole "Its not a QB school" is stupid, alot of the guys we had in the 90's never really were pro prospects as their job was to be smart and distribute to playmakers, and Weinke was just old. But this an entirely different coaching staff, Jimbo runs a pro style, complicated offense with alot of different sets. Trying to compare Ponder to any past QBs is stupid. Thats like saying you can't look to ND for QBs because they use to run the option.

And while its very revisionist and stupid to argue about, I think Ward could have played in the NFL. He had very similar skills to Randall Cunningham. But I mean he had a choice of playing 2 pro sports, chose the one with less contact and better pay.

shylo3716
09-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Anquan wanted to get on the field so we switched him to WR, and he was so good he ended up sticking

"And the whole "Its not a QB school" is stupid, alot of the guys we had in the 90's never really were pro prospects as their job was to be smart and distribute to playmakers, and Weinke was just old. But this an entirely different coaching staff, Jimbo runs a pro style, complicated offense with alot of different sets. Trying to compare Ponder to any past QBs is stupid. Thats like saying you can't look to ND for QBs because they use to run the option."
And while its very revisionist and stupid to argue about, I think Ward could have played in the NFL. He had very similar skills to Randall Cunningham. But I mean he had a choice of playing 2 pro sports, chose the one with less contact and better pay.

I think it's crazy someone mentioned that it's not a QB school also, due to the fact that yall have had your share of top HS QB prospects. It's just that they did not make the most of their opportunities when they got their chance. Ponder will be a great one, but I see even bigger things coming from Manuel once he's gone.

D-Unit
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Chris Weike FTW!!!

FSU was never QB U, so I don't see why anyone would expect them to pump out NFL QBs.

I still think it's pretty sad that Michigan will never be known as pumping out NFL QBs like they used to.

BeerBaron
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Chris Weike FTW!!!

FSU was never QB U, so I don't see why anyone would expect them to pump out NFL QBs.

I still think it's pretty sad that Michigan will never be known as pumping out NFL QBs like they used to.

Still a lot of season to go, and Rich Rod's ass remains firmly on a hot seat. If they bomb going through the Big 10 and/or get embarrassed by OSU, he could be out of there and a more traditional offense could come back in.

ryno626
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Still a lot of season to go, and Rich Rod's ass remains firmly on a hot seat. If they bomb going through the Big 10 and/or get embarrassed by OSU, he could be out of there and a more traditional offense could come back in.

Jim Harbaugh please pick up the courtesy phone

JHL6719
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Danny Kannell. 0_o

D-Unit
09-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Danny Kannell. 0_o
I loved Casey Weldon... the Joe Montana look-alike.

Chris Rix was the worst.

descendency
09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Chris Weike FTW!!!

Wasn't he 30 his rookie year?

FuzzyGopher
09-10-2010, 10:15 PM

They had Mallett until douche bag Rich Rod came in.

Day One Pick
09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
The first 3 QB's were completely different types of quarterbacks than Ponder. Wienke was too old to ever get a real chance. Kannell is the closest comparison, but he wasn't very recent and the game has changed since then both in college and the NFL. So there really isn't a comprable comparison or history reference.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Christian Ponder is being exposed as an elite prospect today. He's not getting much help from his offense, but he hasn't been playing well either. As an FSU fan, I've always seen him as a 2nd-3rd rounder that could sneak into the first, but certainly not a top-10 pick. Great college QB, decent NFL QB prospect.

superman
09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
i could see him going end of the 1st. some team's franchise qb. he's smart. that's what is important.