PDA

View Full Version : Vikings vs Saints highest-rated opening game ever

Splat
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100910_huge_tv_ratings_should_tell_owners_player s_something

According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, the overnight ratings were through the roof (http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/24102122593). The game did a 17.7 rating with a 28 share making it the highest-rated opening night NFL game ever. Per King, 28 percent of all Americans with a television on watched the game.

That right there should resonate with DeMaurice Smith, Roger Goodell and the 32 owners.

BigDawg819
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
All the more reason why the owners would be incredibly foolish to lock out the players next year. The NFL is in uncharted waters in terms of mainstream appeal and popularity, and doing anything to combat that verges on signs of insanity.

tjsunstein
09-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I can see why it was highest rated leading up to it but the game didn't fullfil anyone's expectations. I found myself more interested in the Auburn-Miss St game more often than not.

MetSox17
09-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah, it's nice that people watched, but the game sucked donkey ass. Neither team looked like they were ready for the season opener.

tjsunstein
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I thought we had a good one on our hands after the Saints scored so quickly. Turns out, that was the peak of the game.

killxswitch
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
People are starved for football and the idiot owners are still ready to lock out. Ugh.

hockey619
09-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I just dont get the owners.

There is no law saying the NFL must be so popular. If they get spoiled and selfish, theyll kill the goose that layed the golden egg. Little kids learn this story. But will the owners know and head this simple idea?

I think they wont. I think the NFL is in trouble and if they do lockout into the season there will be very dire consequences. There are other sources of entertainment that will reap the benefit (this would be huge for the very fast growing UFC and coming back NHL).

J-Mike88
09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I just dont get the owners.

Oh, I get the owners.

-USA TODAY, Sept 7, 2010
More stadium blues: NFL TV blackouts loom in several cities
At least 11 NFL teams could be facing TV blackouts in their home markets as the NFL fights through a downward trend in stadium attendance.

A confluence of issues including a still-struggling economy......

The newspaper notes three 2009 playoff teams could face blackouts, including the Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals and San Diego Chargers

Also, there's this:
http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/fatjoe-jamarcus-russell.jpg Jamarcus Russell, #1 overall pick

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a84mMdGKkyQ/SwviOeKE5kI/AAAAAAAAAAc/lY517eNtC64/s1600/ManningLeaf.jpg Ryan Leaf, #2 overall pick

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/charles-rogers.jpg Charles Rogers, #2 overall pick
Close to $100 millon given to these fools. The NFL needs to change the rookie salary scale. Anyone who doesn't agree with that hasn't seen the price of an official NFL jersey or price of the Sunday Ticket in the past 5 years.

Bucs_Rule
09-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I didn't see Derek Anderson's 2 of 17 performance. I bet it looked a lot like Brett Farve in the second half. So many passes were completely off.

soybean
09-10-2010, 02:10 PM
One day games will be played in a completely bare empty warehouse.

While everyone will be watching at home from their fancy tvs that will show the game in every possible angle.

Bucs_Rule
09-10-2010, 02:15 PM
One day games will be played in a completely bare empty warehouse.

While everyone will be watching at home from their fancy tvs that will show the game in every possible angle.

Players said the old AstroTurf was like getting tackled on cement. Guess we'll find out how close they were.

Sounds awful just thinking about it.

nrk
09-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, I get the owners.

-USA TODAY, Sept 7, 2010
At least 11 NFL teams could be facing TV blackouts in their home markets as the NFL fights through a downward trend in stadium attendance.

The newspaper notes three 2009 playoff teams could face blackouts, including the Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals and San Diego Chargers

That pisses me off. I'd camp out overnight in the snow to go to a game(I did it for a Wii), if we had a pro team in Oklahoma.

hockey619
09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Oh, I get the owners.

-USA TODAY, Sept 7, 2010

Also, there's this:
http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/fatjoe-jamarcus-russell.jpg Jamarcus Russell, #1 overall pick

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a84mMdGKkyQ/SwviOeKE5kI/AAAAAAAAAAc/lY517eNtC64/s1600/ManningLeaf.jpg Ryan Leaf, #2 overall pick

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/charles-rogers.jpg Charles Rogers, #2 overall pick
Close to $100 millon given to these fools. The NFL needs to change the rookie salary scale. Anyone who doesn't agree with that hasn't seen the price of an official NFL jersey or price of the Sunday Ticket in the past 5 years.

Those teams are also facing blackouts because ticket prices are through the roof. In a struggling economy where people are scared and have a very high propensity to save, there is very little disposable income. These two things dont mix well at all, true, but the league wouldnt have to worry about blackouts if they werent hiking ticket prices in a tanking economy. At these prices, im very surprised more teams arent struggling to fill the seats.

And yes they want a rookie pay scale, but the NFL drew the most attention it EVER has on opening night, yet the owners claim theyre losing money. Is there any rational person on the planet that is buying that statement, especially considering how reluctant they are to provide auditing proof?

For all the money theyll save on lowering the rookie pay scale, they stand to lose exponentially more by locking the players out and risking pissing off the customers. Billionaire owners and millionaire athletes are gunna look really bad and petty for fighting over who gets more millions in an economy where theyre screwing their customers with the current prices/future lockout.

M.O.T.H.
09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
ya...not surprised. The big network ratings keep going up and up and up. Game was pretty boring, though. And Percy let me down.

tjsunstein
09-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Ratings keep going up because less people go to the games and watch from home.

fenikz
09-11-2010, 03:11 AM
I wonder how AZ is on the blackout list we have sold out every game since the new stadium was built

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Ratings keep going up because less people go to the games and watch from home.

That wouldn't make a significant difference in the ratings at all. Even if average attendance is down 10,000 people per game, which it won't be, that wouldn't be a big enough number of people to impact the ratings of a game.

Ratings are up because the product is extremely popular and hyped. Thats the reason I still can't see the lockout happening, no matter how close we get. The players and the owners are both making too much money to accept a lockout.

Basketball on the other hand could lockout. Teams actually lose money in the NBA.

soybean
09-20-2010, 02:15 AM
What I don't get is all this team loyalty stuff and how cold cities still end up selling out all their games.

Would you really want to go to a game in Lambeau field when you can watch the game in HD at home snuggled up in a blanket with hot chocolate in front of a fireplace.

Doesn't make you any less of a fan. Just go to nflshop.com and buy some cheeseheads and jerseys, BAM! you're still supporting your team.