PDA

View Full Version : Crash & Burn

J-Mike88
09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Overhyped!

Overrated!

There are plenty of teams who are being overrated entering this season.
There are some teams being overhyped entering this season. My Packers could easily fit into one or both of those categories, even though our team is capable of going to the Super Bowl.

Still, there will (always is) be at least one team that is being superhyped or rated too high that crashes and burns this year.
Injuries could do it, but someone will fall apart and not even make the playoffs that is being picked by many to go deep this year.

Who's your money on being that team that crashes and burns?

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-11-2010, 08:34 AM
J-e-t-s Jets Jets Jets

Saints-Tigers
09-11-2010, 08:51 AM
The Jets for sure, but less so, the Vikings. If they Vikings reel off a couple of close wins, that might be good for them, but if things get ugly, the locker room is going to back Favre and Childress is going to be out.

Leslie Frazier takes over?

wicket
09-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Jets or Vikings, picked Vikings but it was a close one

jrdrylie
09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I wish I could pick two. I think neither the Vikings nor the Jets will make the playoffs, but while I think the Vikings will win 9 games, the Jets will be lucky to win 8.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
This seems to be almost unanimous, at least by people willing to put their name by it. It is so close between the Jets and Vikings. I voted Jets because their hype machine has been working over time. I think they both crash and burn.

Saints-Tigers
09-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I think the Vikings end up having another great season, but the potential is there to crash.

CJSchneider
09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I picked the Vikings because I think the Jets may actually surprise a lot of people.

thenewfeature06
09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I picked Vikings because I see the Jets returning to the playoffs and Vikings coming up short.

tjsunstein
09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't trust the Jets offense.

hockey619
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Cowboys

The line is gunna kill that offense

BeerBaron
09-11-2010, 11:33 AM
It's hard not to pick the Jets but the Dolphins have looked like poop this preseason. Rumors are that Parcells and the coaches aren't happy with Chad Henne and there's always the threat of Pennington taking his job.....2nd round linebacker Koa Misi lost his starting job and on the other side is Wake who, while a good pass rusher, pass rushing is all he's really good for. I think a lot of people, myself included, overrated them this preseason.

MasterShake
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm surprised not to see the 49ers on this list.

Does this mean we are underhyped, so you didn't think they were good enough to list?

Or are they overhyped so much that its thought they couldn't possibly crash this season?

Rosebud
09-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I voted for the packers. I really think that secondary and pass D will get picked on and I, unlike seemingly everyone, think Rodgers is going to have a more tame season than last year. If he's not holding onto the ball for too long again next that'll be progress, but I just have a gut feeling that the Packers will disappoint.

LizardState
09-11-2010, 11:45 AM
It's hard not to pick the Jets but the Dolphins have looked like poop this preseason. Rumors are that Parcells and the coaches aren't happy with Chad Henne and there's always the threat of Pennington taking his job.....2nd round linebacker Koa Misi lost his starting job and on the other side is Wake who, while a good pass rusher, pass rushing is all he's really good for. I think a lot of people, myself included, overrated them this preseason.

I thought this was the yr. that Parcells handed it off to Sparano & the FO that they shanghaied from Dallas a few yrs ago, or lat least that's what ESPN reported this wk. But we're talking Parcells here who has unretired 5 times by my count, so believe it when you see it.

Started to vote Minnesota b/c of that sideline confrontation last season when Peppers was pummeling Favre & all of America saw that he was in charge there, not Childress, who has a tenuous at best hold on that locker room. But changed to Jets at last second, more variables there than anywhere else in the NFL, no real veteran leadership, + they're cursed for dumping Vilma -- never ever let a safety or LB from Miami get away. Vilma has his SB ring & the only one the Jets earned was in 1969 with Joe Willie Namath.

I voted for the packers. I really think that secondary and pass D will get picked on and I, unlike seemingly everyone, think Rodgers is going to have a more tame season than last year. If he's not holding onto the ball for too long again next that'll be progress, but I just have a gut feeling that the Packers will disappoint.

BeerBaron
09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I thought this was the yr. that Parcells handed it off to Sparano & the FO that they shanghaied from Dallas a few yrs ago, or lat least that's what ESPN reported this wk. But we're talking Parcells here who has unretired 5 times by my count, so believe it when you see it.

He did step into a consultant role, but he's packed that building with his disciples so it's hard for me to believe he still doesn't have immense sway.

LizardState
09-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Started to vote Minnesota b/c of that sideline confrontation last season when Peppers was pummeling Favre on every down & all of America saw Childress' embarrassment, he has a tenuous at best hold on that locker room. But changed to Jets at last second, more variables there than anywhere else in the NFL, no real veteran leadership, + they're cursed for dumping Vilma -- never ever let a safety or LB from Miami get away. Vilma has his SB ring & the only one the Jets earned was in 1969 with Joe Willie Namath.

This has merit, the Packers gave up more sacks than anyone else last season so opponents will blitz them & come after Rodgers like gangbusters this yr.

Razor
09-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Why is NE on your list when the poll is about overhyped/overrated teams? Patriots is imo underrated at this point. Anyways, I voted Jets. They are a disaster waiting to happen.

P-L
09-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I voted the Jets, but I think there are a handful of teams on that list that will disappoint.

New York Jets - I like Rex Ryan's defensive schemes, but I still think that they played above their heads a little last year. It's so hard to repeat as the top defense in the NFL from year to year. I am also skeptical that Darrelle Revis will have a repeat of his 2009 performance. Most corner backs are up and down throughout their career and it will be nearly impossible for him to play that well again. I'm not buying just yet that how well the Jets played against the Bengals and Chargers last season is indicative of how well they'll play this year.

Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers - I'm grouping them into one here. I think one of these teams is going to win the division for sure, but I'm not sure which one and I don't think either team wins as many as people think they do. I really believe that the NFC North will be pretty close from top to bottom this year (well, at least 1-3). I think the winner of this division ends up at 10-6 this year.

Dallas Cowboys - I still think they have a good shot at winning the division, but I don't buy them as a Super Bowl contender at all. I think the NFC East as a whole is overrated and I don't think any of the four teams can make it past the divisional round in the playoffs. My biggest concern with the Cowboys is their offensive line, and I'm not totally sure that Miles Austin will repeat last year's performance. Their defense is good, but I don't think it's good enough to carry them if the offense struggles at all.

Miami Dolphins - I like them, but I'm not sure that they are a playoff team this year. I think people are overrating them because they are down on the Jets. I think both teams are going to finish with around the same record, and I think both miss the playoffs.

Hurricanes25
09-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Why is NE on your list when the poll is about overhyped/overrated teams? Patriots is imo underrated at this point. Anyways, I voted Jets. They are a disaster waiting to happen.

To be fair, there are some question marks on the Patriots defense so there's no guarantee of them doing anything either this year.

Anyways, I don't think Favre gets through the whole season so I went with the Vikings. But I think you can make a case for the Jets and Dolphins as well.

Shiver
09-11-2010, 12:24 PM
If the Patriots are on the Colts should be too. Super Bowl losers syndrome, bad O-Line, lack of depth everywhere other than WR.

PoopSandwich
09-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Well looks like im in the minority but I think the Chargers are gonna be topped in the AFC West this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it.

Another team is the Vikings, people are overreacting a bit on the loss to the Saints but I think their offense needs to get their head on straight and understand that they should be a run first team which would open up the pass game big time for Favre.

P-L
09-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm still loving the Chargers this year. Sure, losing Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil hurts, but their running game should be vastly improved with the addition of Mathews. Philip Rivers is close to elite and I think he'll prove it again this year, without Jackson. I think the Broncos got worse and neither the Chiefs or Raiders improved as much as the Chargers declined. They have a pretty easy schedule too.

Bengalsrocket
09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I voted the Ravens, but only out of hope :P

xxxxxxxx
09-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Why aren't the colts on this list?

CameronCropper
09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
The Green Bay Packers.

I'm so tired of hearing about their All Universe offense and how great Aaron Rodgers is, don't get me wrong I think Rodgers is good but he will not have the MVP season some people are predicting.

yourfavestoner
09-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm still loving the Chargers this year. Sure, losing Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil hurts, but their running game should be vastly improved with the addition of Mathews. Philip Rivers is close to elite and I think he'll prove it again this year, without Jackson. I think the Broncos got worse and neither the Chiefs or Raiders improved as much as the Chargers declined. They have a pretty easy schedule too.

I'm with you, they have BY FAR the easiest schedule of all AFC contenders.

Norv is a ball control coach by nature. The fact that they were slinging it around that much lets you know how little faith he had in Tomlinson. With a new dedication to the run game (which will help their defense, too), they'll have one of the top two seeds in the AFC.

marshallb
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I went with the Jets, but I think there are quite a few teams who are drastically overrated, but not necessarily a bet to "crash and burn".

scottyboy
09-11-2010, 05:50 PM
question: why are the Giants up there? and who the hell voted for them? are they really getting any hype compared to those other teams?

descendency
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
J-e-t-s Jets Jets Jets

Just End The Season.

tjsunstein
09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
The Green Bay Packers.

I'm so tired of hearing about their All Universe offense and how great Aaron Rodgers is, don't get me wrong I think Rodgers is good but he will not have the MVP season some people are predicting.
Your prediction of him not having one is about as useless as the ones who are.

CameronCropper
09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Your prediction of him not having one is about as useless as the ones who are.

I'm glad we have established that predicting whether something will happen or not is useless until said event either does or does not take place.

yodabear
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I picked the Packers cuz it seems like everyone is picking them to go to the super bowl. That would make it a dissappointment if they don't, and I don't see them getting to the super bowl.

BloodBrother
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Gotta go with the Jets

GB12
09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
The Green Bay Packers.

He's had MVP seasons the past two years. No reason to think he can't do it again.

General Zod
09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
question: why are the Giants up there? and who the hell voted for them? are they really getting any hype compared to those other teams?

Not really understanding why the Miami Dolphins are up there either.

BeerBaron
09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Not really understanding why the Miami Dolphins are up there either.

With so many people down on the Pats and especially Jets, that leaves Miami as the seemingly general favorite to win it by everyone. And as I explained earlier, they really don't seem as good as they are being made out to be.

descendency
09-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Serious question: Are people not voting for the patriots because they doubt them already or they don't think they will crash?

abaddon41_80
09-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Serious question: Are people not voting for the patriots because they doubt them already or they don't think they will crash?

They are the favorite to win the division, if you ask me, and I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Pat Sims 90
09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Toss up between the Ravens/Packers

vikes_28
09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I think the Packers are severely overrated. I went with the Vikings just cause i'm still upset about thursday. A friend and I were arguing about how the Packers have been selected to win the Super Bowl. I told him it wasn't going to happen, cause there are way better teams than the Packers.

I think the pressure from all the analysts will be enough to create the downfall of the Packers this season.

J-Mike88
09-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Why aren't the colts on this list?
Because they win 12-14 games every year and the poll only allows 10 teams.

By the way, I listed the teams in order of how I thought our voting would go 1-10.

PS, I think Miami will disappoint, and I think New England is overrated. They have a good passing game, piss-poor running game, and all 3 levels of their defense are average. And Belichick has not been able to get away with spying the past 3 or so years like he did in the early 00's.

My Packers are a bit overhyped. Overrated? Maybe, but the offense is not overrated. The offense is legit great. The pass defense could be horse**** though again, since our GM elected to pray instead of draft an OLB/CB, and/or sign a veteran CB to help the defense not make good QBs look like 1984 Marino.

RufusMcDaniel
09-11-2010, 11:18 PM
The Houston Texans!

J-Mike88
09-12-2010, 07:27 AM
The Houston Texans!
The majority of predictions from the panels do not have them even making the playoffs.
What do you think, they are going to be even worse than that, like 6-10 or something? They might, but is that what you think?

singe_101
09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I can't say the Vikings will be totally out of it, I thought about taking the Falcons over the Vikings for WC but then I check the rosters. MN has a better defense than the Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, etc. They were getting a lot of non-close wins last year, they'll lose a few more but have some cushion.

The Jets weren't that good last year and lost Jones. 8-8 like 2008.

abaddon41_80
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
49ers suck

Brent
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
49ers suck
yeah, I thought we would be on this poll

yourfavestoner
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Indianapolis FTL

Addict
09-12-2010, 06:33 PM
of all those teams the Dolphins will do worst IMO.

I hope it's the Jets tho.

Jakey
09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Im ging with the Bengals and the Jets.

Jets for obvious reasons (what you lot have said)

The bengals because i think the o-line is suspect, Palmer is no longer elite and the secondary just got burned by the one dimensional pats.

wogitalia
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
The bengals because i think the o-line is suspect, Palmer is no longer elite and the secondary just got burned by the one dimensional pats.

Not a great indicator, no one has been able to consistently stop the Pats with or without Brady for the last 4 years and they've been 1 dimensional that whole time. I'd be more worried that they couldn't get any kind of ground game going.

bantx
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
The packers, I still don't see it. The hype this team is getting from this board and everyelse I'm not buying it.

singe_101
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Well you could say the 49ers but they kind of did it last year after 2-0. They weren't much of a factor until stalking Arizona from about 2, 3 games back but went 8-8.

They've got a team there but they won't be 11-5 or 12-4 as some predict. It's not 2006 Gore and they can't just sneak their way to those records.

Jvig43
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
The packers, I still don't see it. The hype this team is getting from this board and everyelse I'm not buying it.

I think its alot of packer fans, most people just thought Rodgers would have an amazing season, and the pack would contend. But yeah, didnt look all that impressive today.

singe_101
09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
All I remember is last year GB was 4-4 with wins vs. Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, and Cleveland and a loss to the Bucs. After going 6-10.

Then they went 7-1, so who knows what pace they will set now. They have to keep their giveaways low like last year to succeed.

J-Mike88
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, Dallas and Minny both lost this week with inept offenses barely able to score a single touchdown, both on the road.
The Packers offense was out of synch as well, still got a nice road win at Philly, where Favre was never able to win.

If the Jets lose to the Ravens tomorrow, that will mean our top 3 here all start out 0-1.

tjsunstein
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
With the Packers performing under their own standards, I'll take a win in Philly anyday.

Basileus777
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, Dallas and Minny both lost this week with inept offenses barely able to score a single touchdown, both on the road.
The Packers offense was out of synch as well, still got a nice road win at Philly, where Favre was never able to win.

To be fair, Minnesota and Dallas didn't get a chance to play against Kevin Kolb for a half.

singe_101
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Personally, single games shouldn't have too much weight. Okay, except for clear divisional favorites like GB and MIN last year with Chicago and Detroit left in the dust. But even then, to start 2008 GB looked good and finished 4 behind the Vikes.

I try to look at quarters of the season to see how a team is doing. Usually the good teams will have something like one 4-0 stretch, one 3-1, one 2-2 so they already have 9 wins and can vary from 1-3 for 10-6 to 12-4 if they do well (like Indy 2008 ).

Then the middling teams never get that 4-0 stretch, or have the awful 0-4 to sink most seasons. 2006 Vikings, 08 Packers, 09 Giants, Titans, Falcons, Jets, and Broncos, 99 Lions, etc. I guess the '09 Texans also dropped 4 straight.

For the topic that's just why I doubt the Vikings will crash and burn unless the defense is far from top 10 or they move to the AFC south. Plus the Bengals and Cardinals looked like they could lose 5 wins, 49ers could go 7-9 with an injury, etc. The Panthers lost 4 wins, maybe the Saints will. Green Bay lost 7 wins from '07 to '08.

J-Mike88
09-13-2010, 04:45 PM
To be fair, Minnesota and Dallas didn't get a chance to play against Kevin Kolb for a half.
<This is true.
But remember, Dallas got to play against the guy Philly kicked to the curb FOR Kevin Kolb.

J-Mike88
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
The polls are still open!
How does it look now 2 weeks in?

Long way to go, but 2 weeks in is more indicative than prior to the season.

Last week the Jets looked like the winner. Now they looked sensational today.

J-Mike88
09-20-2010, 06:31 AM
About 100 votes casted...... right now, who's the best answer: Minnesota or Dallas?
It will change as the year progresses, but man, Dallas @ Houston this week is suddenly a huge in-state game!

Brent
09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
It will change as the year progresses, but man, Dallas @ Houston this week is suddenly a huge in-state game!
Brett Favre looked bad yesterday; I watched that whole game.

I think that Houston game is going to be a good one, at least from my perspective.

J-Mike88
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Brett Favre looked bad yesterday; I watched that whole game.

I think that Houston game is going to be a good one, at least from my perspective.
Nobody enjoyed seeing Farve give a game away by himself more than I did. It reminded me of a playoff game for Farve, but usually he does those things right at the end of games.

But to be fair, anyone missing their top WR, and then their #2 WR.... would struggle. Even Brees and Manning and Rodgers. Rivers is still looking good though missing Vincent Jackson.

abaddon41_80
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
One of the interceptions was not on Favre, in his defense, and it probably should have been a touchdown. The other two were awful throws, though.

J-Mike88
09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
One of the interceptions was not on Favre, in his defense, and it probably should have been a touchdown. The other two were awful throws, though.Thats true. he was a tad behind Percy Harvin but it should have been caught. Instead he deflected it for the pick, and that was at the goalline so points cost.

And the TD on the strip of Favre, that's on the line and Shiancoe.

But it doesn't make it any less ejnoyable for Packer Nation :o)