PDA

View Full Version : Terrelle Pryor Will Be a 1st Round Pick

Halsey
09-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Obviously I'm assuming he maintains his current course by not getting injured or doing anything to bring his character into question. I know a lot of people don't think he's an NFL QB prospect, but he's going to get a chance to play QB in the NFL. He's just too talented and so far he's shown the willingness to work hard, keep his nose clean, and commit to learning to pass from the pocket. The fact that he's a winner and proven that he can perform under pressure won't hurt his chances. At worst he's a second round pick, but I think he'll end up going in the first. Probably in 2012.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
If Pryor stays all four years at OSU, I don't see how 32 teams pass on him. I'm glad to see he's made a jump in play from his sophomore year.
Just seems like a more confident passer and more decisive downfield. Pryor was clearly the better QB today versus Miami.

jballa838
09-11-2010, 09:32 PM
oh great. Another first round pick on a "F*** IT, I'm Going Deep!" QB that will bust more likely than not.

descendency
09-11-2010, 09:34 PM
He needs a MUCH MUCH more consistent year than he's shown so far. He's shown flashes (entire games even) of being an outstanding QB. Then he has games like today, where he looks like a prototypical college QB.

BeerBaron
09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
He might be a first rounder, but he'll deserve it about as much as Tebow did. It'll take a coach with enough hubris to think he can turn this college star whose best skills translate poorly into a pro star.

Pryor isn't even what VY was as a prospect. Even with a more consistent year, he won't be to that level.

CashmoneyDrew
09-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't personally be on my draft board. Same with Kellen Moore.

BeerBaron
09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't personally be on my draft board. Same with Kellen Moore.

I'd take Pryor for his athleticism in the 2nd round maybe...if I were a pretty set, successful team. Maybe like the Patriots.

But as a QB....I'd pass. He seems to have about a 6 foot radius around his receiver where his passes tend to end up. A few floated in nicely and were on target, but a lot of others were one hopping in or way behind or way in front...he just doesn't have the overall accuracy I'd want.

Forenci
09-11-2010, 09:58 PM
He probably will be based off his physical talents, but I don't see it personally. His accuracy is pretty poor, especially in the intermediate game. I will say that he does seem to show a lot of effort in wanting to get better and seems like a pretty intelligent guy.

If he really wants to develop as a passer he'll need his senior year for sure.

Calvin & Kevin
09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Is he really a NFL caliber passer? I don't watch entire OSU games but he doesn't really seem like it to me.

herniateddisc
09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
He will be awful as are most Spread Option QBs. They develop ZERO ZERO ZERO mechanics and footwork. Reminds me of LeBron v Jordan but fact is Jordan learned how to play the game, footwork, release, post, perimeter .... etc.

Guys like Pryor (Tebow) are wasting their talents in these systems and will end up being nothing the pros.

Only thing spread option QBs in big time programs do is give hope to small school QBs THAT THEY WILL BE DRAFTED.

Only spread QB I saw who was any good for the Pros was Dixon from OU and he starts for Pitt tomorrow.

wonderbredd24
09-11-2010, 10:20 PM
As long as mechanics, decision making, and accuracy aren't important to being an NFL quarterback, Terrelle Pryor is your man.

descendency
09-11-2010, 10:21 PM
He will be awful as are most Spread Option QBs. They develop ZERO ZERO ZERO mechanics and footwork.

Only thing spread option QBs in big time programs do is give hope to small school QBs that run Pro-Sets THAT THEY WILL BE DRAFTED.

Only spread QB I saw who was any good for the Pros was Dixon from OU and he starts for Pitt tomorrow.

Drew Brees.

I'd take Pryor for his athleticism in the 2nd round maybe...if I were a pretty set, successful team. Maybe like the Patriots.

I'd love to have him as a WR, but I think he will be like Tebow and other college QBs and not want to play anything other than QB.

herniateddisc
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Drew Brees.

You telling me Drew Brees was carrying the ball 10+ times a game?

He threw the ball 60 times a game was my memory from a shot gun lots too.

Calvin & Kevin
09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Brees' Purdue offense was still a spread offense, just not a Rich Rod style running spread.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I mean everyone kills people, murders people.

descendency
09-11-2010, 10:31 PM
You telling me Drew Brees was carrying the ball 10+ times a game?

You said 'spread'. A spread offense is a 4-5 WR offense where you spread the defense out. The term 'spread option' is used to describe a type of passing attack where you have a primary receiver and usually a check-down that enables gimpy QBs to succeed against inferior talent. It allows them to lock onto one receiver while the WR runs his route. Once the route is finished, the QB either threw the ball or checked down. Sometimes they are allowed to run the ball. It's very popular in high school and colleges like Texas and Texas Tech. And Purdue in the late 90s ;)...

A zone-read (option) offense is where the QB fakes the ball to the running back and then either bolts off with it or hands it off to the running back based on one defender (typically a DE) called a 'key'. if the key holds the edge, the ball is handed off. If the key goes after the back, the QB runs with it around the key and follows his blocking up field. This is common under Rich Rodriguez and other coaches like him.

Florida (for example) uses both (or did with Tebow, I have no clue if they still are using it with Brantley).

edit: Zone-read running elements are often combined with spread passing elements to create college offenses today because of the number of lanes it opens up in the running game as well as making scrambling QBs more successful when they take the edge when the key jumps.

edit2: Hybrid offenses are often referred to as 'option offenses'. Idiots in the booth will call them 'spread option' teams because they don't understand what those terms mean, mostly because they didn't grow up with it being called that.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-11-2010, 10:37 PM
nvm..............

bigfreak314
09-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Talent wise he probably should be a 1st round pick, 6-6 230, 4.39 est 40yard dash, cannon arm. I just dont see the kid being a successful NFL QB tho, have you noticed even when he is accurate the WRs have to jump and make spectacular catches or reach out behind them even if they are wide open. I seen Terrell make some beautiful long throws but even in the game they won today against Miami, there was @ least 2 passes I saw that shouldve been easy interceptions and in the NFL those will be interceptions

princefielder28
09-12-2010, 07:18 AM
1st round pick as a WR???

FUNBUNCHER
09-12-2010, 07:37 AM
I see a guy becoming a better QB before my eyes and I have every confidence Pryor could develop into a solid starting NFL QB.

It's all predicated on him staying 4 years at OSU, however.

bruschis4all
09-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Played de/olb in high school. Saw his state championship game. Literally, a man against boys. Pretty similiar athletically to Lavar Arrington.

Babylon
09-12-2010, 11:51 AM

The black Matt Jones. Unlike Jones though they might try to force him into an NFL QB but i dont think he's pro material.

Saw nothing really from Harris or Pryor yesterday that would make me think NFL starting QB.

BeerBaron
09-12-2010, 11:54 AM
The black Matt Jones. Unlike Jones though they might try to force him into an NFL QB but i dont think he's pro material.

Saw nothing really from Harris or Pryor yesterday that would make me think NFL starting QB.

I knew Harris' arm was of questionable pro strength, but man, he doesn't get zip on seemingly anything....

And like I said above about Pryor, he just doesn't have the accuracy or mechanics.

UKfan
09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
If he ends up on a different team than Posey then maybe, but man when they are both on the field he locks on to and stares him down A LOT...

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 12:01 PM

He could be a tremendous player as a receiver with some wildcat packages mixed in, but it all depends on whether or not he would embrace the move. If he's determined to be a quarterback like Pat White or Eric Crouch, I wouldn't touch him at all

BigBanger
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
He could be a tremendous player as a receiver with some wildcat packages mixed in, but it all depends on whether or not he would embrace the move. If he's determined to be a quarterback like Pat White or Eric Crouch, I wouldn't touch him at all
Why do people have these wild ideas of crazy wildcat packages and transitions to WR with crappy college QBs? Since when do NFL teams bend over backwards for a marginal NFL player? Last time I checked, they didn't. 99% of the time an NFL team takes a player and moves him to a position he's never played, it's a failure. A lot of people like to bring up Hines Ward. Ward was a receiver in college, just as he was a RB, just as he was a QB. He was a jack of all trades, but a master of none. He actually showed, while in college, that he could run routes. Has Pryor done anything like that? Just because his accuracy is awful and because he's a fairly decent athlete at a major school, doesn't mean he's going to be anything more than a third string QB before exiting the NFL in complete obscurity in less than 5 years.

Pryor is just a bad NFL prospect. His accuracy is atrocious. Watching that Ohio St. / Miami (FL) game was awful. The QB play for both sides was simply dreadful. If it wasn't for Pryor's legs, it would have been unwatchable for college football and it pretty much nearly was. There could have been 9 INTs thrown in that game. Chekwa could have had 3 alone and that guy ******* sucks. Watching those guys... it was just awful. Half the time it looked neither of these QBs had even played with their WRs. And after seeing that, someone came away impressed enough to call him a first round lock? WTF is wrong with people? No timing, no anticipation, no accuracy, no fastball, stares down his #1 option, only makes 1 read... HE HAS NO GAME... AT ALL. He's a good college player. That's it.

I don't think he's going anywhere close to Round 1.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
12-27. Oh my God, he's just progressed so much!

Sniper
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
You said 'spread'.

He will be awful as are most Spread Option QBs.

Come again?

Babylon
09-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I would have been less worried about the numbers if he looked good doing it, he didnt.

P-L
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
He's so inconsistent as a passer still. On the one touchdown drive, the pass he threw to Posey for 62 yards should've been an easy touchdown but the ball floated too much and Posey had to slow down to catch it allowing the Miami defenders to make up ground. Then the touchdown pass he threw was beautiful. If he can throw like the latter more consistently, then I'd buy him as a legit NFL quarterback. However, he throws too many crappy balls for me to invest a high pick in him. I want to see him spend four years in college before I think about using a 1st round pick on him.

FUNBUNCHER
09-12-2010, 03:12 PM
BigBanger, aren't you the same guy who said Sam Bradford wasn't an NFL QB and was an overall crap prospect??

And are you certain Hines Ward played WR snaps for Georgia???

herniateddisc
09-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Come again?

Spread Option QBs suck in the Pros. Didn't think that was controversial.

Read below for more info.

herniateddisc
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
You said 'spread'. A spread offense is a 4-5 WR offense where you spread the defense out. The term 'spread option' is used to describe a type of passing attack where you have a primary receiver and usually a check-down that enables gimpy QBs to succeed against inferior talent. It allows them to lock onto one receiver while the WR runs his route. Once the route is finished, the QB either threw the ball or checked down. Sometimes they are allowed to run the ball. It's very popular in high school and colleges like Texas and Texas Tech. And Purdue in the late 90s ;)...

A zone-read (option) offense is where the QB fakes the ball to the running back and then either bolts off with it or hands it off to the running back based on one defender (typically a DE) called a 'key'. if the key holds the edge, the ball is handed off. If the key goes after the back, the QB runs with it around the key and follows his blocking up field. This is common under Rich Rodriguez and other coaches like him.

Florida (for example) uses both (or did with Tebow, I have no clue if they still are using it with Brantley).

edit: Zone-read running elements are often combined with spread passing elements to create college offenses today because of the number of lanes it opens up in the running game as well as making scrambling QBs more successful when they take the edge when the key jumps.

edit2: Hybrid offenses are often referred to as 'option offenses'. Idiots in the booth will call them 'spread option' teams because they don't understand what those terms mean, mostly because they didn't grow up with it being called that.

Clearly people don't read or have poor reading comprehension.

I specifically was talking, and wrote, SPREAD OPTION in the first sentence of my post.

But in the last sentence since I did not for the third time repeat OPTION folks get all worked up.

And let me say most SPREAD QBs suck in the Pros too.

He will be awful as are most Spread Option QBs. They develop ZERO ZERO ZERO mechanics and footwork. Reminds me of LeBron v Jordan but fact is Jordan learned how to play the game, footwork, release, post, perimeter .... etc.

Guys like Pryor (Tebow) are wasting their talents in these systems and will end up being nothing the pros.

Only thing spread option QBs in big time programs do is give hope to small school QBs THAT THEY WILL BE DRAFTED.

BigBanger
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
BigBanger, aren't you the same guy who said Sam Bradford wasn't an NFL QB and was an overall crap prospect??

And are you certain Hines Ward played WR snaps for Georgia???

Yes to both.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Spread Option QBs suck in the Pros. Didn't think that was controversial.

Read below for more info.

I was defending you. I was saying that the other guy read the quote wrong.

herniateddisc
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I was defending you. I was saying that the other guy read the quote wrong.

Yeah, that is why I referenced the other guy in the longer rebuttal.

Anyway, your Eagels are getting injured all over the place.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, that is why I referenced the other guy in the longer rebuttal.

Anyway, your Eagels are getting injured all over the place.

Whatever. They suck. I said they would suck this year and I said Kolb would be brutal. As long as my boy Graham does well, it's cool.

Terrelle Pryor will be a bust if he's drafted as a QB. It's going to happen. You can't flutter balls 50 yards downfield in the NFL. You can't run in the pros like he does in college. You need accuracy, touch, and an ability to read defenses. Unfortunately for him, he's got none of the above.

herniateddisc
09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Whatever. They suck. I said they would suck this year and I said Kolb would be brutal. As long as my boy Graham does well, it's cool.

Terrelle Pryor will be a bust if he's drafted as a QB. It's going to happen. You can't flutter balls 50 yards downfield in the NFL. You can't run in the pros like he does in college. You need accuracy, touch, and an ability to read defenses. Unfortunately for him, he's got none of the above.

As a Michigan man I will root for Graham also.

But dear, do I dislike the Eagles.

I have spent most of the game laughing at the DeSean as Great WR thread.

Pryor reminds me of many a great athlete who is never taught their craft /c they tend to dominate at lower levels everyone walks on egg shells with them.

All of a sudden they get into the Pros and everyone is great .... now what? .... You have not the skills, you never develop a process of learning, you can't take the heat from the media and you bust. Vince Young for example.

Halsey
09-13-2010, 12:34 AM
As Vince Young and Vick showed today, some QBs have special talents that allow them to have some success in the NFL despite deficiencies in their game. If Pryor keeps working hard, teams will have a hard time passing on him 32 times knowing that a QB like him can make it in the NFL.

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 01:07 AM
As Vince Young and Vick showed today, some QBs have special talents that allow them to have some success in the NFL despite deficiencies in their game. If Pryor keeps working hard, teams will have a hard time passing on him 32 times knowing that a QB like him can make it in the NFL.

Vick has starkly different athletic abilities than Pryor. That comparison isn't a good one. Vick can stop on a dime, change directions, and then accelerate like no other leaving defenders completely locked up. Pryor is a long strider with more straight line speed where if he has an opening, he can go through it, but he isn't going to outjuke anyone, especially not NFL defenders.

The jury is still very much out on Young.

I don't disagree that someone is probably going to take a shot on Pryor in the first round, but he will fail miserably as an NFL QB with his accuracy and mechanics.

Halsey
09-13-2010, 04:11 AM
I don't know what "different athletic abilities" or "outjuke" means, but I do know that every QB prospects has people on message boards predicting they will bust. As for Pryor, I watched him with my own eyes making people miss, breaking tackles and making Miami defenders look silly at times on Saturday.

6cgZUj6qqDA

You gonna tell me he's only running straight there?

JoeJoeBrown
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM
As a Michigan man I will root for Graham also.

But dear, do I dislike the Eagles.

I have spent most of the game laughing at the DeSean as Great WR thread.

Pryor reminds me of many a great athlete who is never taught their craft /c they tend to dominate at lower levels everyone walks on egg shells with them.

All of a sudden they get into the Pros and everyone is great .... now what? .... You have not the skills, you never develop a process of learning, you can't take the heat from the media and you bust. Vince Young for example.

Pryor definitely needs to stay four years. He has finally progressed to the point where he can make a few real QB type decisions. His mechanics are becoming much more controlled. However, he will occasionally panic and revert to poor throwing form. He will occasionally panic and make a terrible read. He still loves to lock onto Posey, despite going through his progressions on the majority of passing downs.

The thing to remember is that he is still very much a raw product. He has been athlete first until the Rose Bowl. That's pretty crazy.

One more year of CFB learning a pro-style offense is definitely needed if he is going to try and turn into a bonafide NFL QB prospect.

The comparisons to VY should cease. They are not that similar in style.
VY is a once in a generation freak of nature. His natural talent and instincts far outweighed his ignorance of basics and nuances the position.

WRT the Miami game, I think Pryor froze quite a bit. He had some pressure by Forston (sp?) and his pocket collapsed often. Bad reads and some bad throws. His stat line (as bad as it was) could have been quite a bit worse if Miami had DBs that could catch the ball. Don't get me wrong, like P-L said, he had some great throws among the bad ones. It's just that he is inconsistent and needs a lot of live action reps.

Also, he doesn't seem to have the second gear anymore. I mean, he's super fast, but he used to have a burst when he hit the corner. It doesn't seem to be there anymore.

We'll have to see where he's at by the end of the season to see how he's progressed from today. If the draft were tomorrow and he were in it, I think a team would be wise to draft on potential in the 3rd-5th round and hope he would progress.

K Train
09-13-2010, 01:09 PM
tremendous athlete but i think he should have focused on basketball

Shane P. Hallam
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
As has been stated, He will be a 1st round but at WR.

IndyColtScout
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
As has been stated, He will be a 1st round but at WR.

Couldnt disagree more. I too think he sucks as a QB. Lets face it hes a superior athlete thats just too much for the college game.

Problem is, there are a lot of scouts and coaches out there that are confident to the point of arrogance and they believe they'll be able to teach the kid.

Laughable. He'll declare be like the 24th pick in the 1st round and he will still be a bust.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM

I specifically was talking, and wrote, SPREAD OPTION in the first sentence of my post.

But in the last sentence since I did not for the third time repeat OPTION folks get all worked up.

And let me say most SPREAD QBs suck in the Pros too.

Traditional offense quarterbacks suck in the pros, too. For every Peyton Manning, there is a Matt Leinart.

Fact is, the majority of quarterbacks suck in the NFL. There's three elite ones, and another eight to ten good ones, and they all came from vastly different offensive systems in college.

JoeJoeBrown
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Traditional offense quarterbacks suck in the pros, too. For every Peyton Manning, there is a Matt Leinart.

Fact is, the majority of quarterbacks suck in the NFL. There's three elite ones, and another eight to ten good ones, and they all came from vastly different offensive systems in college.

Excellent and true. Almost every position is difficult to evaluate how someone will project from college to the NFL, and the QB is by far the most difficult.

Halsey
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Like I said before, every QB prospect has doubters and reasons to support that doubt. Remember this:

"Aaron Rodgers will be a bust! QBs who play under Jeff Tedford always bust!"

People who claim to be able to predict which QBs will bust are dime-a-dozen.

descendency
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM

You mean "zone-read". They key phrase is "zone-read". You develop terrible mechanics because nothing about the zone-read offense is implemented in the NFL. The Titans tried it with Vince Young and it failed. Nothing about the spread has anything to do with your point. The word option just means "if not a, then b". The spread option passing attack (which is what makes gimpy QBs look good) is simply a vast simplification of the passing offense using a single simple read (which causes QBs to fail at progressions) and a check down route.

The truth is what YFS said. Most QBs suck, regardless of system.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Most NFL teams play a hybrid spread system anyway, I think whoever takes Pryor will mold the offense, as they should, around those things he does best.

All the swamis on SWDC or hilarious....there's much to be written yet about Terrelle Pryor as a QB that I have no idea if he'll be capable of making the transition to NFL QB.

hockey619
09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Like I said before, every QB prospect has doubters and reasons to support that doubt. Remember this:

"Aaron Rodgers will be a bust! QBs who play under Jeff Tedford always bust!"

People who claim to be able to predict which QBs will bust are dime-a-dozen.

Every QB prospect has doubters and reasons to support that doubt. Remember this:

"Jamarcus Russell will be great, what an arm!"

People who claim to be able to predict which QBs will succeed are dime-a-dozen.

I still dont see what this post accomplished. Of course people get them wrong sometimes. Are you somehow insinuating Pryor will reach the level of rodgers in the NFL?

Cause outside of him being on the Broncos, Bills, or some other simple system with minimal reads and lots of QB movement, I think its pretty clear he doesnt have what it takes, barring a major leap in performance in the next year and a half. For such a great athlete, he really doesnt dominate at the college level, even with his legs. And hes very underwhelming with his throwing ability.

hockey619
09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Most NFL teams play a hybrid spread system anyway, I think whoever takes Pryor will mold the offense, as they should, around those things he does best.

All the swamis on SWDC or hilarious....there's much to be written yet about Terrelle Pryor as a QB that I have no idea if he'll be capable of making the transition to NFL QB.

yeah theres a lot to be written. he could get worse. happened to Snead, who for whatever reason got tons of hype then was horrendous.

As of right now, he looks like he could be a solid red zone WR with some work. His ball lacks consistent zip and his ball placement is terrible at times. His throws flutter and he stares down targets endlessly.

Things he does best? you mean run? cause nothing involving throwing the ball is a strong point for him or is even close to an NFL level. and not every coach takes your logical approach of 'build a system around the strengths of my team.' generally egos get in the way and a coach makes the players fit his system (shanahan with Haynesworth rather than just running a 4-3)

Or he could give basketball another shot.

Shane P. Hallam
09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Couldnt disagree more. I too think he sucks as a QB. Lets face it hes a superior athlete thats just too much for the college game.

Problem is, there are a lot of scouts and coaches out there that are confident to the point of arrogance and they believe they'll be able to teach the kid.

Laughable. He'll declare be like the 24th pick in the 1st round and he will still be a bust.

But just like all of the athletic QBs, they will want to see him do it. Look at Armanti Edwards and Reggie McNeal and Isaiah Stanback. If he's willing to try out and WR, runs the 40 time we expect, a team could try him out at QB, but would love that WR weapon that even few NFL WRs possess. Now, not saying it means he'll be great or even succeed there, but if Edwards can go in the 3rd (and cost a 2nd,) if Pat White can go in the 2nd, Pryor can move into the first willing to do both, and I imagine many teams will go with the WR value there.

K Train
09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
i dont think pryor would be open to a change to WR, has he said anything about it?

i think tebow should have been a TE, he said he was only a QB

DeathbyStat
09-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Sure why not if Tebow can be a number one pick why not pryor?

I'm not fan as he struggles throwing short passes.

I would draft him in the second round to be a wide out if he agreed in pre draft interviews that he would do everything in his power to make the team as something other than a Qb

DeathbyStat
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
i dont think pryor would be open to a change to WR, has he said anything about it?

Sorry didn't see your post my thoughts exactly

stephenson86
09-14-2010, 11:18 AM
i heard josh mcdaniels was scouting him

gstock05
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
He's not ready for the NFL right now, but in 2 years, based on his level of growth, there is no reason to doubt he'll be at least a 2nd round pick.

Realistically, he's got a great arm. He just needs to work on his consistency. If he simply couldn't throw the short pass, then I wouldn't be so confident, but right now, most of the time he throws a bad pass, it's a result of him reverting back to bad form, bad mechanics, etc.

What we do know about Pryor-

He has incredible pocket presence. He's 6'6 and really fast. He has a strong arm, a relatively quick release, and can throw a good deep ball.

What he needs improvement on...

Just overall development and consistency as a quarterback. You can still see that he wasn't much of a quarterback at the highschool level. Now that he's finally received good coaching and become more of a humble person, he's started to blossom into an incredible talent. Obviously his short passing needs a little bit of work, but that's the easy part for any quarterback. If he can make the 40 yard bombs, there is no reason he can't pass for the 5 yard out routes. That's just a matter of getting lazy and losing concentration.

JoeJoeBrown
09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
i heard josh mcdaniels was scouting him

LOL!

Could you imagine that attack? Running the Florida style triple option (modern single wing) with Tebow, Pryor, and <insert playmaker here>???

It's a fun thought until you think it through.

Great for college where kids usually aren't very disciplined, but in the NFL it would probably be stoppable.

Shane P. Hallam
09-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Tebow NEVER said that. He said he wants to be a QB but would be willing to do what a team wanted him to do.

Pryor has played WR for the Buckeyes his freshman year. Don't think he's against it.

gstock05
09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Tebow NEVER said that. He said he wants to be a QB but would be willing to do what a team wanted him to do.

Pryor has played WR for the Buckeyes his freshman year. Don't think he's against it.

He's said multiple times he only wants to play quarterback. And as far as playing wide receiver, he never played wide receiver freshman year. He caught 1 pass during the bowl game vs. Texas, but that doesn't really equate to him ever "playing" receiver.

aheineken
09-14-2010, 05:51 PM
After Vince Young's sophomore year, everyone said he would be a WR in the NFL. He certainly proved them wrong. Pryor isn't at VY's level (coming out of college) yet, but if he keeps progressing like he is, I see no reason why he can't establish himself as a first rounder.

K Train
09-14-2010, 10:45 PM

when asked if he would be participating in TE/WR drills at the combine tebow responded with "im a quarterback"

says it all to me

brat316
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
WR, just like a Matt Jones.

PoopSandwich
09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
i know people that played basketball with him and apparently 3 of the big names (i dont remember the other 2) but pryor being one of them are leaving after this year.

ThePudge
09-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Did someone say Terrelle Pryor has incredible pocket presence? Ouch.

Sportsfan486
09-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Terrelle Pryor meet Troy Smith. Troy Smith meet your slight taller and less prolific clone. Any questions?

Halsey
09-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Terrelle Pryor meet Troy Smith. Troy Smith meet your slight taller and less prolific clone. Any questions?

Yay for meaningless message board comparisons! Where a difference of half a foot is "slight" and players are called clones because they went to the same school.

Oh, and Smith didn't become a full time starting QB until his 4th year of college. Pryor was the starter by his third game. And Pryor hasn't had any off field issues either, unlike Smith.

TACKLE
09-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Yay for meaningless message board comparisons! Where a difference of half a foot is "slight" and players are called clones because they went to the same school.

Oh, and Smith didn't become a full time starting QB until his 4th year of college. Pryor was the starter by his third game. And Pryor hasn't had any off field issues either, unlike Smith.

You're right. Its not a good comparison mainly because Troy was actually a good passer.

Halsey
09-15-2010, 04:30 AM
You're right. Its not a good comparison mainly because Troy was actually a good passer.

At least come up with an original snappy one liner...

Smith was a better passer than Vince Young was in college too. One of them is starting in the NFL and the other is warming a bench.

TACKLE
09-15-2010, 04:46 AM
At least come up with an original snappy one liner...

Smith was a better passer than Vince Young was in college too. One of them is starting in the NFL and the other is warming a bench.

Actually Vince in his junior year was a better passer than Troy was when he won the Heisman. And if you are seriously trying to elude that Pryor is VY in that comparison *sigh* you just need to stop now. Pryor cannot and will never touch what VY did at Texas.

FUNBUNCHER
09-15-2010, 06:43 AM
I see VY and Pryor as very similar prospects at this stage. VY was a RS junior that had been in UT's program for four years by the time he won the NC. Vince was a better runner, but Terrelle is very mobile in his own right.
Both have that funky, 3/4 sidearm type motion also.

If Pryor continues to throw touchdowns, run for first downs and win a ton of games over the next two years for OSU, his pro prospects will continue to rise.

And I question the argument that VY was a better passer in college at this point than Pryor. Even after watching the Miami game, you could see that Pryor is being asked to make down the field throws that VY rarely ever did at Texas.

(Mostly) pro style versus pure spread option at Texas, if Pryor sticks with the program he'll be more pro ready in four years than VY when he came out.

EDIT: I had to check, and IMO Troy Smith was the better QB when he won the Heisman than VY.

Troy Smith; 2006, 2542 yards, 65.3 comp pct., 30 TDs, 6 INTs.
Vince Young; 2005, 3036 yards, 65.2 comp pct., 26 TDs, 10 INTs.

Sniper
09-15-2010, 08:50 AM
EDIT: I had to check, and IMO Troy Smith was the better QB when he won the Heisman than VY.

Troy Smith; 2006, 2542 yards, 65.3 comp pct., 30 TDs, 6 INTs.
Vince Young; 2005, 3036 yards, 65.2 comp pct., 26 TDs, 10 INTs.

Yeah, I'd probably omit Young's rushing yardage from the argument if it didn't help my argument.

yourfavestoner
09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
WR, just like a Matt Jones.

That's actually the best comparison I've seen for him so far on this site, whether it's at WR or QB.

JoeJoeBrown
09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
People are jumping the gun here. VY was a year ahead of Pryor in learning the position at this point. Pryor's biggest problem is a lack of knowledge about the position.

Whereas kids from the burbs and magnet schools were already well versed in the basics and some of the advanced concepts of the position by the time they graduated HS, some of these inner city guys had crap coaching and just relied on supreme athleticism to excel. TP, Troy, and VY all were athletes coming out of HS, not pure QBs.

Hell, VY is still not what a stodgy traditionalist would call a pure QB.

It takes time to learn something like this, which is why I think TP is going to be at OSU for the full four years. It's going to be pretty tough to predict where he'll be developmentally at the end of four years.

He's made leaps and bounds since his freshman year to the beginning of this season. There is no reason to believe that his skill advancement has plateaued since he has been progressing.

Like I said earlier, he did not do well under duress last week, reverting to old habits. When he had time, he made good decisions and throws. Under pressure, he had bad mechanics and often made bad decisions.

Some people always get tunnel vision under pressure, no matter how much preparation they have. Some people can progress beyond it, and some never get it (VY comes to mind).

Way too early to assess just how good the guy will be. Calling him a WR or a TE is ridiculous at this point (I do agree he would excel at either position, but calling him a lost cause at this point is where I disagree).

P-L
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I hate the idea of Pryor at wide receiver. I'm not huge on him as a NFL quarterback, but I'd draft him as a quarterback before receiver. He's big and fast, but he doesn't move all that well and he's not THAT fast (both relative to the wide receiver position).

jnew76
09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Pryor's development has taken a big step forward through the first 2 games of this season IMO. I have heard all the stories about how he hangs with the wrong crowd, acts entitled, is lazy, and lacks leadership. While you can never ignore these things when you hear them, I believe young people like Pryor deserve the chance to mature during the college process. IMO, it looks as though Pryor have taken a big step in that maturation process this year. He looks like he has control of his team and the offense with complete confidence. I am impressed with his deep ball accuracy this year. Don't get me wrong, I think Pryor has a long way to go, but if Pryor continues to progress at a rapid rate, he has an excellent chance to be a 1rst round pick.

keylime_5
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I hate the idea of Pryor at wide receiver. I'm not huge on him as a NFL quarterback, but I'd draft him as a quarterback before receiver. He's big and fast, but he doesn't move all that well and he's not THAT fast (both relative to the wide receiver position).

he is THAT fast, but his acceleration I don't think is what you'd want in an NFL wide receiver. It would take him too long to get off the line being such a tall guy and a long strider. I don't think teams would want him for his suddeness though, but rather the fact that he's a 6'6" guy with a big vertical leap and elite athleticism.

P-L
09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
he is THAT fast, but his acceleration I don't think is what you'd want in an NFL wide receiver. It would take him too long to get off the line being such a tall guy and a long strider. I don't think teams would want him for his suddeness though, but rather the fact that he's a 6'6" guy with a big vertical leap and elite athleticism.
Well, I disagree. I guess we'll find out come combine time. He has fantastic speed for a quarterback, but it would only be slightly above average for a receiver. The last big, tall, and athletic quarterback quarterback to make the transition was Matt Jones who ran a 4.37 at 245 lbs. I really doubt Pryor can replicate that time, even if he shows up 5-10 lbs lighter than Jones.

lod01
09-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Is he really a NFL caliber passer? I don't watch entire OSU games but he doesn't really seem like it to me.

He's not even close. Only an idiot GM would take this bum. He has no chance in hell of taking a team to a super Bowl and since that is the goal, he would set a franchise back years....just like Vince Young is doing.

Scotty D
09-15-2010, 09:22 PM
He's not even close. Only an idiot GM would take this bum. He has no chance in hell of taking a team to a super Bowl and since that is the goal, he would set a franchise back years....just like Vince Young is doing.

Care to explain how Vince Young is setting the Titans back?

JoeJoeBrown
09-15-2010, 09:43 PM

You forgot to mention his low swagger factor.

Saints-Tigers
09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Well, I disagree. I guess we'll find out come combine time. He has fantastic speed for a quarterback, but it would only be slightly above average for a receiver. The last big, tall, and athletic quarterback quarterback to make the transition was Matt Jones who ran a 4.37 at 245 lbs. I really doubt Pryor can replicate that time, even if he shows up 5-10 lbs lighter than Jones.

Pryor is a lot faster than he seems. When you break down his runs frame by frame, he covers a LOT of ground with every step.

I think he'll be closer to 4.4 than people realize.

I honestly do think Pryor is a fair bit ahead in the development curve than Vince was at the same age.

People tend to write guys off way too early, this guy could tweak a few things and take small steps and be an elite prospect.

ThePudge
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Pryor is a lot faster than he seems. When you break down his runs frame by frame, he covers a LOT of ground with every step.

I think he'll be closer to 4.4 than people realize.

I honestly do think Pryor is a fair bit ahead in the development curve than Vince was at the same age.

People tend to write guys off way too early, this guy could tweak a few things and take small steps and be an elite prospect.

He's need to make huge strides, not take small steps. His accuracy & control of the offense is still very suspect. Mechanically he can improve but in my opinion his real shortcomings come intangibly. He's not a smart football player, plain and simple. He's barely capable of digesting a college playbook, reading college defenses, in the NFL with the upgrade in speed & experience/intelligence Pryor doesn't stand a chance.

I'm open to seeing the development; I agree that he has gotten more confidence from his teammates & his throwing mechanics/footwork are getting there. It's very tough at this point to grade his draft status as I don't know if any team will buy him as a potential starting QB in the NFL some day. As of right now, I don't really see it... but he's got time on his side.

yourfavestoner
09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/images/stories/mattjones.jpg

All over again. People forget that Matt Jones was a damn good college qb.

JoeJoeBrown
09-15-2010, 11:48 PM
He's need to make huge strides, not take small steps. His accuracy & control of the offense is still very suspect. Mechanically he can improve but in my opinion his real shortcomings come intangibly. He's not a smart football player, plain and simple. He's barely capable of digesting a college playbook, reading college defenses, in the NFL with the upgrade in speed & experience/intelligence Pryor doesn't stand a chance.

I'm open to seeing the development; I agree that he has gotten more confidence from his teammates & his throwing mechanics/footwork are getting there. It's very tough at this point to grade his draft status as I don't know if any team will buy him as a potential starting QB in the NFL some day. As of right now, I don't really see it... but he's got time on his side.

I agree with this. We'll see where he's at after the senior season.

holt_bruce81
09-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Pryor is developing nicely but I still don't think he would even get consideration in the 1st round. If he's smart, he'd stay all four years.

tjsunstein
09-15-2010, 11:59 PM
I just imagine Terrelle Pryor on the Jaguars. Pryor and Jones-Drew. Damn.

holt_bruce81
09-16-2010, 12:22 AM
I just imagine Terrelle Pryor on the Jaguars. Pryor and Jones-Drew. Damn.

Almost as scary as VY and CJ

09-16-2010, 08:33 AM

I guess he prevents them from getting top-5 picks?

Halsey
09-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Pryor goes way higher than most people currently think he will.

I can see it now: It's the 2012 NFL Draft. The elite QB prospects are already gone, taken by teams in the top 5. Up to the podium steps Roger Goodell.

"With the 11th pick of the 2012 Draft the Oakland Raiders select Terrelle Pryor, quarterback, Ohio State."

thenewfeature06
09-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Pryor goes way higher than most people currently think he will.

I can see it now: It's the 2012 NFL Draft. The elite QB prospects are already gone, taken by teams in the top 5. Up to the podium steps Roger Goodell.

"With the 11th pick of the 2012 Draft the Oakland Raiders select Terrelle Pryor, quarterback, Ohio State."

Don't know how I would feel.. thb

but I think he comes out this year especially if they win the NT

Sniper
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM

The Raiders won't be picking at 11. They'll be safely in the top 10.

ThePudge
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I really just don't see any of the 1st Round talk. I know exactly how physically gifted Pryor is, but I don't think NFL teams will swing at anything when it comes to potential franchise QBs. Tim Tebow went 1st Round despite mechanical concerns, problems reading the defense, and accuracy issues. What made Tebow a first round pick was his leadership, his poise, his ability to instill hope in his teammates, and his willingness to do whatever it took to win the game.

Well, Terrelle Pryor is even worse reading defenses, his mechanics are improving but far from good, and he's never been an accurate passer. In addition, Pryor lacks the "X-factor", he's not a smart football player, he's not poised, and far too often he makes the wrong decision on where to go with the ball. If everything was based on can you make all the throws & run around cones well, Pryor would have a shot at the Top 10... but this is the NFL, you need to make a very sizable investment with your First Round picks.

Remember, Matt Jones was a 1st Round pick but at WR. As Quarterback prospects the two are fairly similar, but since Pryor has played on a bigger stage in Columbus we assume his QB status should be legitimate. You could make the argument that Jones was the superior passer & the superior runner for a less-talented Arkansas team playing SEC defenses every week. His accuracy was shotty, but no more/less than Pryor's. Terrelle is still improving, but let's not pretend he's anything close to Vince Young in terms of how he influences games/the win column. Young would do anything to win, Pryor will take a sack on 4th & 5 down 7. His football IQ & heart leave a whole lot to be desired.

thenewfeature06
09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
The Raiders won't be picking at 11. They'll be safely in the top 10.

YhkNLHictW8

FUNBUNCHER
09-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Call me crazy, but I think Matt Jones could have played QB in the NFL.
He was really good at Arkansas and for the most part was their entire offense.

With his height and mobility, I think teams gave up too quickly on his ability to play QB in the NFL, and Jones really gave up on himself too soon by agreeing to make the switch.

About Pryor, when you have the ability to take off for a 50 yard gainer, yet you're trying to learn how to become more of a pocket passer, that's when you see mobile QBs take sacks or negative plays where fans will second guess them for not taking off.

Knowing when to run is the hardest skill to learn for a mobile QB.

Look at Mike Vick last week against the Packers; he rolled out to his right looking to pass into the endzone, yet if he'd decided to run, it appeared he could have scored easily.

I still think Pryor will be a better pro prospect in 2011 than he is today.

If OSU wins the NC this season, it will be 90% because of Terrelle Pryor.

JoeJoeBrown
09-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I still think Pryor will be a better pro prospect in 2011 than he is today.

If OSU wins the NC this season, it will be 90% because of Terrelle Pryor.

Agree with the first 100%.

Disagree with the second 80% :)

If OSU wins it's because of stellar defense and a running game (of which Pryor is an important part).

J52
09-16-2010, 01:04 PM
While it is fixable, his short range accuracy is pathetic. His decisions are terrible as well.

If the Hurricanes had a single defensive player that could catch a football Pryor should have been picked three times... on one drive. He hit Hurricanes in the hands a good 6 or so times. He missed open targets like 10 times. As a passer, he looked pretty terrible. The positive hype he is getting is blowing my mind.

Quite frankly, he was the worse of the 2 QBs out there on Saturday. Just OSU defenders capitalize on mistakes while Hurricanes defenders don't. Hayward and Chekwa looked like better receivers then anybody except Hankerson for the Hurricanes.

D-Unit
09-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Pryor will not be drafted in the first round.

.... by a team expecting to win the SB in the next 10 years.

Halsey
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
If OSU wins it's because of stellar defense and a running game (of which Pryor is an important part).

Yeah, being that he leads them in rushing this year, led them last year and was second only to Beanie Wells as a freshman.

JoeJoeBrown
09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, being that he leads them in rushing this year, led them last year and was second only to Beanie Wells as a freshman.

:) I didn't say the limb I was going out on was small!

PrimetimeTheDon
09-16-2010, 03:40 PM
He's not a good passer. Period.

There is no way he is drafted in the first round. None.

RaiderNation
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
He went 12-27 against Miami, no he wont be a 1st round pick as a QB.

Werowance
09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
I can almost promise you that Pryor will be a very high pick, this guy is going to lead Ohio State to some bowl game and he will dominate a good team and teams will fall in love with his talent. I mean as much as I don't think Pryor will ever be a great QB there is no denying the man has more physical talent than anyone in the draft, I mean name me one more player who is 6'5", 250 pounds, has 4.4 speed and has a rocket arm. Teams are going to see his tools and think "I can mold him into something great" just like the Raiders did with Jamarcus Russell and just like the Falcons did with Michael Vick. Do I think he will ever be great? Absolutely not, but lets not lie to ourselves and say that he isn't extremely talented and some team will fall in love with what he could potentially do on the football field.

He'll just be another Vince Young IMO.

FUNBUNCHER
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Everyone remembers there are 32 picks in the first round??

JoeJoeBrown
09-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Everyone remembers there are 32 picks in the first round??

I'm not sure everyone here even remembers how to get out of their mother's basement.

LonghornsLegend
09-16-2010, 11:35 PM
The 1 time he lined up at WR vs Texas in the Rose Bowl, and caught a jump ball TD in the endzone showed me what position he needs to be playing at the next level.

Sadly he looked far more impressive that one play at WR then he ever did at QB. You can look at his measurables and get excited about him being a QB, but how many 6'6, 230 lb WR's are in the NFL that run under a 4.4? Elite company.

Of course that doesn't mean he can automatically be a good WR(paging Matt Jones), but I would much rather take that chance on him playing there then anything.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-17-2010, 12:04 AM
He's not a good passer. Period.

There is no way he is drafted in the first round. None.

yo123
09-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Yeah that worked out so well I'm sure teams will be lining up to try it again.

I don't think he has the quickness or burst to be a great receiver in the NFL. He has very good straight line speed but it takes him a while to get to that speed.

LonghornsLegend
09-17-2010, 03:08 AM

It's not like teams are not gonna give him a chance because another guy was a bust years before, even if said players have some similiarities they are completely different players.

For all we know Matt Jones could have been a beast if he didn't like to do coke in the parking lot of Target and not give a damn. He's been pretty damn good at WR(especially his last year at Jax) for a dude who hasn't worked at improving at all.

FUNBUNCHER
09-17-2010, 04:43 AM
I hope everyone remembers that Carson Palmer was dog doo-doo his junior year at USC and did not look like a a top NFL pick at QB in the least.

holt_bruce81
09-17-2010, 05:25 AM
I hope everyone remembers that Carson Palmer was dog doo-doo his junior year at USC and did not look like a a top NFL pick at QB in the least.

He's back to being dog doo doo.

thenewfeature06
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
The thing is I haven't seen anybody like Pryor.. so who knows

Sniper
09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
The thing is I haven't seen anybody like Pryor.. so who knows

Halsey wants Pryor to butt-**** him, but other than that, most non-Buckeye fans hate him.

PrimetimeTheDon
09-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Matt Jones is a full .1 faster. Maybe more. And yes, it showed on tape. So if you say to me "no one expected Jones to run that fast" I would say, well they should have.

PrimetimeTheDon
09-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I don't think he has the quickness or burst to be a great receiver in the NFL. He has very good straight line speed but it takes him a while to get to that speed.

Maybe I've just missed it, but if somebody can, please show me a clip where Pryor looks very fast on a run.

Because I've never seen it. I don't want to say it hasn't happened, but I've just never seen it and I watch a lot of college football.

Very nimble feet and a natural runner with great break tackle ability. But I do not see true speed.

Matt Jones on the other hand had some disgusting long runs in college. He had blowers.

yourfavestoner
09-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Matt Jones is a full .1 faster. Maybe more. And yes, it showed on tape. So if you say to me "no one expected Jones to run that fast" I would say, well they should have.

Yup, when he got up to full speed, he could ******* fly.

Problem was (as a receiver) it took him forever to get up to full speed. And when he did, he'd lose all momentum breaking out of his route. The only routes he could run were the button hook, the slant, and the fade. Watching him run curls and digs was just painful.

zachsaints52
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I can almost promise you that Pryor will be a very high pick, this guy is going to lead Ohio State to some bowl game.

Teams are going to see his tools and think "I can mold him into something great" just like the Raiders did with Jamarcus Russell and just like the Falcons did with Michael Vick. .

Two things I noticed, one you make it sound like going to a bowl game is going to be hard, Remember 6 wins gets you in one, and for sure if they get 6 wins all the small bowl chairpeople will offer anything to get them.

And you compare Pryor with Vick?

Werowance
09-17-2010, 11:55 PM
And you compare Pryor with Vick?

No. I said people are going to fall in love with Pryor's abilities just like they fell in love with Vick's abilities and Russell's abilities.

Scotty D
09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I'd take Colin Kaepernick over Pryor all day.

yourfavestoner
09-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I'd take Colin Kaepernick over Pryor all day.

Ew, no. That release is disgusting.

Scotty D
09-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Ew, no. That release is disgusting.

It looks awkward but I don't think its the slowest release.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2010, 08:17 AM
No one really knows what Pryor's official forty time will be until he runs predraft for NFL scouts, probably in about 2 years.

Everything I've heard and read about him, however, leads me to believe he's a sub 4.45 guy.

shylo3716
09-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I think he would be a perfect fit for Minnesota in the late 1st Rd.

Scotty D
09-18-2010, 12:01 PM
I think he would be a perfect fit for Minnesota in the late 1st Rd.

Joe Webb=Terrelle Pryor

shylo3716
09-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I still think he would be a better pick than Ponder not taking anything away from Ponder.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I still think he would be a better pick than Ponder not taking anything away from Ponder.

Ponder has a much better chance of being a successful NFL QB than Pryor does.

lod01
09-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Sure. It has nothing to do with Vince Young. It's Chris Johnson and a 1st rate OL. You put a real NFL QB in Tennessee and they are a legitimate SuperBowl contender. With Vince Young they are an exciting (because of Johnson) team to watch but have ZERO chance of playing in the Super Bowl....and that is the goal of every NFL team.

Rosebud
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Didn't watch Big Ben, Rivers, Brees or Joe Flacco in college did you?

Halsey
09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Sure. It has nothing to do with Vince Young. It's Chris Johnson and a 1st rate OL. You put a real NFL QB in Tennessee and they are a legitimate SuperBowl contender. With Vince Young they are an exciting (because of Johnson) team to watch but have ZERO chance of playing in the Super Bowl....and that is the goal of every NFL team.

Yep, it has nothing to do with Young, that's why they were 0-6 last year before Young became the starter, and are 9-2 since.

09-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Yep, it has nothing to do with Young, that's why they were 0-6 last year before Young became the starter, and are 9-2 since.

For that to happen once, it's acceptable to say oh it's because Kerry Collins is awful. But he's done it twice now, taken a hopeless team and turned them into .500. I don't know how he does it, but he Jus winz gaymez.

lod01
10-01-2010, 08:40 PM

13-3 with Collins 2 years ago. 9-2. BFD. That means jack **** as far as Vince Young being the reason. You stop Chris Johnson, this team loses, regardless of what Vince Young does. He can't win games. He can be the QB on a winning team. So can Trent Dilfer former superbowl winning QB even though he had nothing to do with it. Just like Young in Tennessee. Just like T. Pryor would be. Neither is worth a **** as an NFL QB.

Halsey
10-01-2010, 08:57 PM
13-3 with Collins 2 years ago. 9-2. BFD. That means jack **** as far as Vince Young being the reason. You stop Chris Johnson, this team loses, regardless of what Vince Young does. He can't win games. He can be the QB on a winning team. So can Trent Dilfer former superbowl winning QB even though he had nothing to do with it. Just like Young in Tennessee. Just like T. Pryor would be. Neither is worth a **** as an NFL QB.

Did you just say going 13-3 or 9-2 "means jack ****". We'll just have to disagree on that, because winning games means something to me.

Talented QBs don't grow on trees. I'd rather have Vince Young than no starting quality QB at all. That's what some teams have. Terrelle Pryor, like Young, is just too talented to not take a risk on. Am I saying either of them will ever be a great NFL QB? Nope. I'm just saying that teams have to take risks on guys with that kind of talent.

JoeJoeBrown
10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Did you just say going 13-3 or 9-2 "means jack ****". We'll just have to disagree on that, because winning games means something to me.

Talented QBs don't grow on trees. I'd rather have Vince Young than no starting quality QB at all. That's what some teams have. Terrelle Pryor, like Young, is just too talented to not take a risk on. Am I saying either of them will ever be a great NFL QB? Nope. I'm just saying that teams have to take risks on guys with that kind of talent.

Why are you even bothering responding to him? He's a fount of negativity.

T.Smith
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I think people are judging Pryors nfl future to early for this particular player. In high school Pryor basically had NO qb training what so ever. At the Army all American game one of the coaches said that Pryor had far more talent then anyone there but that he wasn't even taught how to properly do a 3 step drop among many many other things. So logically it is going to take Pryor longer to fully understand the position, and he is learning it.
He is also probably the hardest working player to ever walk into Ohio State football. He just needs more time in my opinion. He is still learning everything that goes into being a QB.

Babylon
10-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I think people are judging Pryors nfl future to early for this particular player. In high school Pryor basically had NO qb training what so ever. At the Army all American game one of the coaches said that Pryor had far more talent then anyone there but that he wasn't even taught how to properly do a 3 step drop among many many other things. So logically it is going to take Pryor longer to fully understand the position, and he is learning it.
He is also probably the hardest working player to ever walk into Ohio State football. He just needs more time in my opinion. He is still learning everything that goes into being a QB.

Somewhere Archie Griffin, Randy Gradishar, Tim Fox and numerous others are choking on that one.

lod01
10-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Taking Pryor would be as dumb as taking JaMarcus Russell.

Texas Homer
10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I've been wrong before, but I still think Pryor would likely be a mid-late 1st round pick if he comes out after this season.

FUNBUNCHER
10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Taking Pryor would be as dumb as taking JaMarcus Russell.

Care for a fresh bowl of hyperbole??

Ballbright
10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not going to read through all six pages, but this thread has to be a joke. Pryor is a Matt Jones clone on the playing field. Too much air under the deep ball, erratic, inconsistent, inaccurate, stares down receivers, lacks NFL ball velocity....

This past week, against a hapless Indiana team is the first time the guy has ever gone for 300 yards in a game, and a large chunk of that came on a terrible lofty pass on a wheel route to Brandon Saine that would've been picked off by any practice squad player in the NFL.

Terrelle Pryor is fun to watch, and a good collegiate QB, but he'll never play a meaningful down of QB in the NFL. First round pick as a QB? Never happen...

niel89
10-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't see him as a 1st rounder but some team will see his physical talents, fall in love, and take a gamble. Hopefully he is smart and stays in college longer to develop himself as a Qb.

PrimetimeTheDon
10-13-2010, 09:05 PM

http://bagnewsnotes.typepad.com/bagnews/images/TIME%20Palin%20Cover-1.jpg

shylo3716
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I have him in the 1st rd in my mock.

Ballbright
10-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Let me try this a different way...

Why, specifically, does anyone think he'll be a first rounder... I can think of many reasons he won't and have posted some above... I want to see why people think he will....

ThePudge
10-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Let me try this a different way...

Why, specifically, does anyone think he'll be a first rounder... I can think of many reasons he won't and have posted some above... I want to see why people think he will....

Size, speed, slight progression, and perceived similarity to Vince Young. Those would be the reasons why Pryor is seen as a first round prospect by some.

FUNBUNCHER
10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
There's 32 picks in the first round. It's not hard to imagine TP going in the first.

Shane P. Hallam
10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Talked about the lack of success of dual threat QBs in my blog entry today:

http://bit.ly/ak68dI

A Perfect Score
10-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Ive said over and over in conversations regarding Mike Vick and Vince Young that the biggest issue with drafting players with that skillset that high is that they are expected to become pocket passers despite being drafted for their ability to run. Over and over we see guys drafted highly specifically because of their ability to make plays with their legs, and then in the NFL they are asked to rarely use this ability. Its forcing them to fail. If you take a player like that, you can't expect to run a stereotypical offense. Its getting better now as you see the Titans running some of the spread stuff and a bit of option every now and then, but trying to force Mike Vick into a WCO was an absolutely ******** decision that severely hampered his career. Ill tell you something else, Pryor and Newton aren't the same caliber of passers as Vick and Young were...if Pryor and Newton are asked to disregard their ability to run and focus more on become pocket quarterbacks I cant see them having too much success either, regardless of where they are drafted.

Babylon
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
There's 32 picks in the first round. It's not hard to imagine TP going in the first.

Being that he'd probably be the 6th rated QB behind the top 3/Enderle/Ponder then i could easily see him not being a 1st round pick this year. Next year might be differant. As was brought up before it only takes one.

Halsey
10-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Why, specifically, does anyone think he'll be a first rounder

Talent
Potential to move to WR if he doesn't cut it as a QB
High demand and low supply of talented QB prospects
Winner
Lots of experience against top college competition
No character red flags(That I know of)
Success under the pressure of super super high expectations at a major program

To elaborate on the point about supply and demand of QBs: Ask yourself how many relatively safe bets to be franchise QBs you see potentially being available in the 2011 and 2012. I count 3 QBs in college that I feel look like safe bets to be top 10 picks: Locker, Luck and Matt Barkley. Every other QB prospect, including Pryor, has major questions. Also, keep in mind that it's not guarenteed that Luck will declare for the 2011 or 2012 Draft. I imagine he will, but it's not a guarentee. Also, Barkley may not be available until 2013.

D-Unit
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Pryor will never be drafted in the first round because he's not that good.

CashmoneyDrew
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
If Tebow can go in the first, I don't see why this guy doesn't have a chance.

D-Unit
10-14-2010, 08:46 PM
If Tebow can go in the first, I don't see why this guy doesn't have a chance.
Tebow's intangibles were off the charts. They are not the same person or even the same player.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Yup D is right it's not a good comparison, but if you want one you can say if Matt Jones could be taken in the first so can Pryor if a team falls in love. Pryor though would have to commit to playing wherever they want him to, but I highly doubt he would do that. He will probably take the Pat White route. Matt Jones though did showcase his skills at the senior bowl and show scouts that he was capable of making a switch.

CashmoneyDrew
10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not saying they are similar talents or players, but my point is that if one team was stupid enough to take a QB in the first who had no business sniffing the 1st, some team will take Pryor in the 1st whenever he comes out. Whether it's for his physical ability or upside or whatever.

CashmoneyDrew
10-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Al Davis is still alive.

ElectricEye
10-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Al Davis is still alive.
But he doesn't have a first round pick.

CashmoneyDrew
10-14-2010, 11:01 PM
But he doesn't have a first round pick.

I'm thinking Pryor stays for his senior year.

FUNBUNCHER
10-15-2010, 01:34 AM
I still think Matt Jones should have never switched positions. I think he could have been groomed into becoming a decent starting NFL QB. He made so many plays at Arkansas, I loved watching that dude ball in college. Not to bring up the color issue, but there's nothing cooler than seeing a White dude outrun secondaries in the SEC!!
I still hold to the 32 picks in the first round rule; I could see a team selecting Pryor with the idea of developing for a few years, a la Steve McNair, then unleashing him on the league.

So much depends on what OSU does this season AND if Pryor stays(!!) for his senior year.

Babylon
10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
let's be clear: the tebow comparison fails because the only person dumb enough to take him in the first, already took him in the first. mcxanders only control one front office.

I wouldnt be giving too much credit to the other 31 teams around the league as most of them have their share of blunders over the years. Remember someone took Kyle Bollar, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Cade McNown.......

lod01
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow, this guy sucks. Tressel should know better than putting garbage like this at the QB spot.

Halsey
10-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Don't bump this thread. I don't want to talk about it right now.

oh, wait....

RealityCheck
10-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Pryor will be a 6th round pick. As a WR.

descendency
10-16-2010, 09:14 PM
This just in: Terrelle Pryor goes in the first round of the UFL draft.

princefielder28
10-16-2010, 09:16 PM
this thread should be changed to JJ Watt will be a 1st round pick

boknows34
10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Awful. Just awful.

Babylon
10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
this thread should be changed to JJ Watt will be a 1st round pick

He sure looked the part today didnt he? RS junior, the guy was a man among boys, if i can use that phrase.

J-Mike88
10-16-2010, 09:56 PM
This just in: Terrelle Pryor goes in the first round of the UFL draft.
LOL, but will there still be a UFL Draft then?

V.I.P
10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Pryor needs to just stay for his senior year.

ThePudge
10-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Pryor needs to just stay for his senior year.

He needs a whole lot more than just experience. His problems don't just stem from poor throwing mechanics, bad accuracy, or shaky velocity. He needs a new brain entirely. I know he has the tools, I haven't missed many games since his freshman year, but he's simply not a good football player. He doesn't have the mental capacity to play the QB position at a high level beyond High School. Cameron Newton puts him to shame.

BeerBaron
10-16-2010, 10:40 PM
He needs a whole lot more than just experience. His problems don't just stem from poor throwing mechanics, bad accuracy, or shaky velocity. He needs a new brain entirely. I know he has the tools, I haven't missed many games since his freshman year, but he's simply not a good football player. He doesn't have the mental capacity to play the QB position at a high level beyond High School. Cameron Newton puts him to shame.

These two statements cancel eachother out. Those 3 things constitute at least half the "tool bag."

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2010, 10:48 PM
He's a gifted athlete and has a good build, that's about the only tools he has working for him.

wonderbredd24
10-16-2010, 11:00 PM
He's a gifted athlete and has a good build, that's about the only tools he has working for him.
He can't throw, but he still has the power to take over a football game with just his legs.

He's 6'6" 235lbs ands he can run. There's a lot going for him... just not at QB

ThePudge
10-16-2010, 11:47 PM
These two statements cancel eachother out. Those 3 things constitute at least half the "tool bag."

No, not exactly. By "all the tools" I simply meant there's nothing physically that holds him back. His problems all come mentally & mechanically. I probably should have been more specific.

I don't think he has the power to take a game over with his legs either, he's a lazy runner with poor instincts & acceleration. He pales in comparison to guys like Cameron Newton or Vince Young, two guys who really can take over games with their feet.

Forenci
10-16-2010, 11:55 PM
No, not exactly. By "all the tools" I simply meant there's nothing physically that holds him back. His problems all come mentally & mechanically. I probably should have been more specific.

I don't think he has the power to take a game over with his legs either, he's a lazy runner with poor instincts & acceleration. He pales in comparison to guys like Cameron Newton or Vince Young, two guys who really can take over games with their feet.

His arm isn't impressive for a guy his size. Floats way too many passes. But it would probably improve if he could actually throw a spiral.

I don't think he's a "lazy" runner, either. I just don't think he really considers himself a runner. Plus he's a long strider, so it looks slower than he is.

edgrenade
10-17-2010, 12:03 AM
it does look like he is running in slow motion out there...

Texas Homer
10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Not his best game.

I still like him as a prospect.

He still has room to grow as a prospect/player.

FUNBUNCHER
10-17-2010, 12:32 AM

Unfortunately, I'm afraid there's a lot of truth in this statement, and one I'm loathe to make about a QB, especially a Black one, because it has shades of that old NFL canard that Black athletes don't have the 'mental acumen' to play QB.
But this is the 21st century, and most evaluators judge a player on what their eyes see, not what their hearts may believe.

BTW, it was the criticism of Jason Campbell in D.C.; great tools, just not a natural or instinctive QB.

Pryor seems very mechanical at times with very little feel for the game, especially on intermediate throws. He locks onto his read and rarely goes to a 2nd or third look, unless it's a dumpoff. He left plays out there on the field for OSU, IMO.

And yeah I agree that Pryor tends to be a 'lazy runner', in that he assumes because of his timed speed, he must be quicker and faster than any defender on the field, and rarely goes at 100% when he scrambles out of the pocket.

This was a showcase game for Pryor and IMO he didn't really show that well.
As a casual football fan, however, this loss may be what keeps him at OSU all four years and gives him a little more time to work on his game.

But you do wonder how much better a QB he can become; his anticipation is poor and his reads at times are suspect.
Technically, he can improve as a QB, but right now Terrell doesn't seem like the type of QB who can take over a game and drive his team the length of the football field.

I've always wondered if an OC sat down and discussed the philosophy of what it means to play QB, and not strategy or tactics but 'mindset', if it could improve someone's level of play.

I once had the middle linebacker position described to me in middle school as, at the snap, you make your split-second read on the guard and center, decide if it's a pass or run, flow to the football at top speed and hit the ballcarrier AS HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN, get up and do it again for 4 quarters.

Simplistic, yet touches at the essence of the position.
Is there an equivalent philosophical breakdown for other positions???

I'm grasping, 'cause the guy I see under center for the Buckeyes needs H-E-L-P.

Halsey
10-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm not going to overreact and say that Pryor will be a late round pick, or that he has no place in the NFL, but watching him play last night has me thinking he really isn't a starting QB prospect. However, I reserve the right to change my mind again in the future. If Pryor does end up going in the first, I'll deny that I ever questioned him and claim I knew it all along.

umphrey
10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not going to overreact and say that Pryor will be a late round pick, or that he has not place in the NFL, but watching him play last night has me thinking he really isn't a starting QB prospect. However, I reserve the right to change my mind again in the future. If Pryor does end up going in the first, I'll deny that I ever questioned him and claim I knew it all along.

That would probably be wise. I'll go with what FUNBUNCHER posted however. His accuracy was so terrible yesterday it was ridiculous. Decision making, reads, equally bad. Even his "good" throws were late and off target. A number of plays he got praised for by the announcers, he hit a wide open receiver, but if he threw it a half second earlier and a yard closer it would have been a touchdown instead of 15 yards. He only completed 2 or 3 passes that I remember by dropping back and throwing. The rest he would run around for 5-8 seconds until someone was open by 5 yards or just throw it up and pray.

Shane P. Hallam
10-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I doubt he declares this year. If he does, it will be to play QB and that ma not work out well. I'm sticking to my guns saying Pryor will be a first round pick as a WR. If he's willing to work there, teams will become enamored.

umphrey
10-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I doubt he declares this year. If he does, it will be to play QB and that ma not work out well. I'm sticking to my guns saying Pryor will be a first round pick as a WR. If he's willing to work there, teams will become enamored.

I can't think of any reason a team would spend a first on him at WR. Really have to disagree with you here. With that long stride of his he can't make any cuts on his routes. He's too much of a project at WR, and the upside isn't really there either - he has speed but zero quickness. In that scenario he'll compare very unfavorably to Matt Jones IMO, and nobody would even consider him in the first.

EvilNixon
10-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I liked what I saw in that second half, but I can definitely see why people would be unimpressed. The guy looks the part, but he needs to improve mechanically at least.

BeerBaron
10-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I liked what I saw in that second half, but I can definitely see why people would be unimpressed. The guy looks the part, but he needs to improve mechanically at least.

Really? Are we talking about the 2nd half of the same game? In the 3rd quarter, they just ran the ball really effectively and he only had to throw a few safe passes.

Then when crunch time came, it was one horribly inaccurate throw after another.....one would fly over his receivers head, the next would be at his feet....the next would be behind him. He rarely set his feet, displayed awful mechanics, and floated almost every pass.

Miaoww
10-17-2010, 12:59 PM
What I don't understand is the need to shoehorn athletes like Pryor into the 'pocket passer' role. It's almost considered as shameful that he's so big, fast and elusive.

In my opinion it's pretty clear he's never going to make it as a pocket passer. You're only hurting your team and his development trying to force him into that role.

The Buckeyes should take advantage of his gifts - move the pocket around, let him roll out, give him some more designed runs. All things that would loosen up the pass coverage.

I can't believe this wouldn't be successful in the pros too - though obviously you'd want him to sit for a season or two. But a 6'6", 250lb mobile QB is still a match up nightmare for any defence.

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 01:29 PM
What I don't understand is the need to shoehorn athletes like Pryor into the 'pocket passer' role. It's almost considered as shameful that he's so big, fast and elusive.

In my opinion it's pretty clear he's never going to make it as a pocket passer. You're only hurting your team and his development trying to force him into that role.

The Buckeyes should take advantage of his gifts - move the pocket around, let him roll out, give him some more designed runs. All things that would loosen up the pass coverage.

I can't believe this wouldn't be successful in the pros too - though obviously you'd want him to sit for a season or two. But a 6'6", 250lb mobile QB is still a match up nightmare for any defence.

As I've said before, I've missed 4 or 5 games of Pryor's college career. They want him to be an electric runner, they don't want him to be a pure pocket passer, he just hasn't shown the ability to do anything at a high level. His running instincts are just way off. He pulls the ball down when he shouldn't & he can rarely compute that he can tuck the ball away and still throw it (either to a receiver or away) while behind the line of scrimmage. His football IQ is lower than my dog's. He just has no feel for the game, no feel for pressure situations, and very little awareness in/outside the pocket.

I think you're way off-base when you say they tried to raise him as a pure pocket passer. Last season they gave him a lot of run-pass options; that is, until they realized they'd given him one too many options. His brain can't compute what situations would be better for the run or the pass. On designed runs Pryor has a tough time accelerating & finding holes... he just runs straight.

When plays break down Pryor can make things happen with his feet because he is big & he is fast. He's not elusive, Cameron Newton is elusive. Pryor doesn't make defenders miss, he just runs past them. But the fact remains, Terrelle Pryor doesn't have a good feel for the passing game and he really doesn't have a very good feel for the running game either.

I don't think people that don't watch him understand. Obviously a 6'6 235 QB that may run around a 4.5 looks great on paper and physically, yes, he is a mismatch; however, Pryor simply hasn't shown the mental capacity to be a very good Quarterback. Every part of his game feels manufactured & he looks like he's playing the wrong sport out there. He still has the same freshman tendencies of staring down individual receivers and he really hasn't made strides in reading defenses.

You say it like teams line up with defending the pass being a main priority against the Buckeyes. That's simply not the case, as many teams actually stack the box against a team that is very run-heavy. No one is really afraid of Pryor's arm seeing as he misses wide open receivers so frequently.

He'd have worked better as a Small Forward than a Quarterback.

Halsey
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Nobody is saying he has to be turned in a QB who only passes from the pocket. However, he needs to be able to pass effectively from the pocket to play QB in the NFL. That doesn't mean he can't ever use his mobility, so don't try to spin it as if that's what people are saying. The NFL isn't a video game where an offense can get by without the QB ever throwing passes from the pocket.

PossibleCabbage
10-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I think this is generally due to the fact that some schools (and for some prospects) an important recruiting tool is "we offer you a pipeline to the NFL." And the NFL really doesn't have any time for college gimmick offenses, and there's not really room for very many "running quarterbacks" due to how much that opens you up to injury and how much NFL teams spend on quarterbacks.

Remember that back when Pryor was a prospect, Ohio State lured him away from Michigan because Tressel promised that Ohio State would prepare him better for the NFL, something that Rich Rodriguez's spread offense assuredly would not. If you want to be prepared for the NFL, you have to learn how to be a pocket passer.

Now, it's Jim Tressel's job to win football games, not get guys drafted. But it's entirely likely that the Buckeyes are just keeping the promise they made to Pryor when they recruited him to begin with.

shylo3716
10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Pryor will be this years Tebow of the draft class

bruschis4all
10-18-2010, 08:04 AM

I'm telling ya. OLB in a 3-4. 6'5" 240+. Probably run a 4.45 Lavar Arrington Redux. He's from a small town in Pa. Jeannette. He had to play everything in high school. QB, Defense.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm telling ya. OLB in a 3-4. 6'5" 240+. Probably run a 4.45 Lavar Arrington Redux. He's from a small town in Pa. Jeannette. He had to play everything in high school. QB, Defense.

He played CB in high school...

A Perfect Score
10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Turning QB's into pass rushers...we had a poster who thought like that before...could it be I.D.D back from the banned?

bruschis4all
10-18-2010, 09:40 AM

I was at their state championship game. He lined up wherever he wanted. Mostly at lb.

MaxV
10-18-2010, 10:26 AM
6'-5" isn't good for a LB.

QB or WR.

No other options.

RealityCheck
10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Turning QB's into pass rushers...we had a poster who thought like that before...could it be I.D.D back from the banned?
HE'S GONNA KNO WUT DA QB IS THINKIN!!!!!!!!!!!

A Perfect Score
10-18-2010, 10:40 AM

QUADRIPLE TEAMZZZ!!!

Babylon
10-18-2010, 11:21 AM

That's may be the issue here, he doesnt know what the QB is thinking.

FUNBUNCHER
10-18-2010, 11:27 AM

He played DE too. Unblockable in the game I saw.

JoeJoeBrown
10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
That's may be the issue here, he doesnt know what the QB is thinking.

:( You made me laugh and cry at the same time...

Jerk!!! :)

bruschis4all
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
6'-5" isn't good for a LB.

QB or WR.

No other options.

6'5" is perfect for an olb in a 3-4. W.McGinest and M. Vrabel say hello. I'm sure he wouldn't do it. Just mentioning that he could.