PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Green vs Julio Jones

shylo3716
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Come draft time next year who will be the 1st WR taken & why?

Although Jones has the size over Green, I believe Green goes 1st. Green is has more speed & he's more athletic than Jones. Jones really has not been much of a threat, because 9/10 everyone knows a pass play is coming his way. Jones really is a disappointment to me, because he does not dominant a game like he should, he is not a game changer like Green.

zachsaints52
09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
We discussed this in very big detail, try the "Is Julio Jones Fast?" Debate :)

But of course I pick Jones as a overall better player.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't get the Julio Jones is bigger argument.

They are almost identical in size. They are both 6'4" and between 200 and 210lbs.

I'll take AJ Green all day in this matchup and as the best receiver in the class

wicket
09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
AJ Green will be taken first, Julio Fourth

xxxxxxxx
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM

They are almost identical in size. They are both 6'4" and between 200 and 210lbs.

I'll take AJ Green all day in this matchup and as the best receiver in the class

Julio is tougher and does look a bit more built.

ElectricEye
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Green is a lot more lanky build wise. Julio is a tank.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM

There is no way in hell that Julio is only 210. He looks like he's at least 230 and could be teetering on 240 territory.

xxxxxxxx
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Thank you, to the above two posts. I didn't want to be blunt and get blasted. Julio is a TANK. Green is lanky.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Thank you, to the above two posts. I didn't want to be blunt and get blasted. Julio is a TANK. Green is lanky.

Julio looks like he could line up at DE and be successful. His shoulders are roughly as wide as the state of Texas.

http://pathtothedraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/julio.jpg

http://onlineathens.com/multimedia/galleries/102508_vsLSU/slides/102508_fb_uga_GREEN_kl.jpg

Green resembles Randy Moss in terms of body structure. Jones looks like a bigger Terrell Owens.

ElectricEye
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
They could weigh the same, but the builds are very, very different.

K Train
09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
ive always been a jones fan, i think green goes first cause hes more polished but jones will be a stud

hockey619
09-12-2010, 04:11 PM
How can anyone pick Jones over Green.

Julio has potential, but watching passively yesterday i saw him drop 2 or 3 easy balls.

If im looking for a potential #1 pass catcher, i want one that can, you know, catch.

Halsey
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Green is a little lanky, but it isn't like he's a stick. The guy has minor durability questions, but I don't think teams will be worried he's frail or anything. There are some lanky star WRs in the NFL, like Ochocinco and Moss.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't suppose anyone's got lifting numbers for these guys and official heights and weights... I'd be curious to how much of a difference there is... I'd be happy to +rep anyone who feels like doing the research

To me, it is unbelievably rare to find a receiver that brings the package that AJ Green gives you... he's got great hands, he's fast, and he's incredibly smooth as a receiver. Personally, I think he's got the ability to be a better, less beaten up version of Brandon Marshall. I can't wait until he gets back from his suspension, because Murray's a pretty good QB.

A Perfect Score
09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Jones is still the fourth best receiver in this class to me. He's done nothing this season to alleviate concerns about his concentration, route running, and ability to fulfill his potential.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Jones is still the fourth best receiver in this class to me. He's done nothing this season to alleviate concerns about his concentration, route running, and ability to fulfill his potential.

Michael Floyd only had five catches for 66 yards against some bad corners for Michigan. That's disappointing. I really like him, but come on. UM's secondary is hanging on by a thread.

Saints-Tigers
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Hard to pick. They both have so much SEC speed.

shylo3716
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM

When I say bigger I mean more toned, Jones gives you the elusion that he's pushing 220 when you look @ him & Green does not he looks very frail. Look @ Jones' frame & arms compared to Green.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
When I say bigger I mean more toned, Jones gives you the elusion that he's pushing 220 when you look @ him & Green does not he looks very frail. Look @ Jones' frame & arms compared to Green.
I wouldn't describe Green as frail. He's a strong kid... he's just lean.

TACKLE
09-12-2010, 07:31 PM
This isn't even close.

Other than blocking, what does Julio do better than Green?

shylo3716
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't suppose anyone's got lifting numbers for these guys and official heights and weights... I'd be curious to how much of a difference there is... I'd be happy to +rep anyone who feels like doing the research

To me, it is unbelievably rare to find a receiver that brings the package that AJ Green gives you... he's got great hands, he's fast, and he's incredibly smooth as a receiver. Personally, I think he's got the ability to be a better, less beaten up version of Brandon Marshall. I can't wait until he gets back from his suspension, because Murray's a pretty good QB.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83262&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82820&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

No combine results just measurements & 40 times..... I would like a +rep now lolz

Babylon
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
AJ Green will be taken first, Julio Fourth

I was thinking Floyd looks like he's lost a step????

Did Rudolph get himself cemented into the 1st round on that 95 yarder?. At my age i'd probably fall down if i tried to run that far.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I was thinking Floyd looks like he's lost a step????

Did Rudolph get himself cemented into the 1st round on that 95 yarder?. At my age i'd probably fall down if i tried to run that far.

He beat a guy playing his second game ever at safety.

ElectricEye
09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't describe Green as frail. He's a strong kid... he's just lean.

He's fairly lanky. His build isn't a concern and I wouldn't say he's weak, but he is not the type of guy who is going to break a whole lot of tackles in the NFL. That's just not his game.

As far as the Julio vs Green debate goes, Green has a bit of an edge at the moment, but Jones is criminally underrated here by the looks of it. He's a rare blend of speed and strength for his position. He's also produced almost to the same level Green has playing in an offense that seriously limits his ability to show up on the stat sheet.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
He's fairly lanky. His build isn't a concern and I wouldn't say he's weak, but he is not the type of guy who is going to break a whole lot of tackles in the NFL. That's just not his game.

As far as the Julio vs Green debate goes, Green has a bit of an edge at the moment, but Jones is criminally underrated here by the looks of it. He's a rare blend of speed and strength for his position. He's also produced almost to the same level Green has playing in an offense that seriously limits his ability to show up on the stat sheet.
How does the offense limit his ability on the stat sheet?

The running game with Richardson and Ingram make teams have to commit to the run so much that all the receivers get good match ups and McElroy just picks the opponent apart.

Good offense begets more offense, which is more snaps for everybody.

Julio Jones has 10 catches for 142 yards and a TD through 2 games and there are 4 guys in total around 100 receiving yards for the Tide.

hockey619
09-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Really?

What has he done since he got to alabama? hes been above average, solid after the catch. Thats it.

Speed and strength, yeah, but he cant catch. he drops a lot of very simple passes that he shouldnt be dropping.

I think hes very overrated around here. tons of potential, not so great at the moment though. fringe first rounder in my eyes with the depth of the position this year. Not sure about his routes but if im getting a pass catcher, i want him to be able to catch. sort of a requirement of the position.

Green has fantastic hands and high points the ball VERY well. Between the two its no contest. The next three is where the argument starts: Baldwin/Floyd/Jones

zachsaints52
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM

The running game with Richardson and Ingram make teams have to commit to the run so much that all the receivers get good match ups and McElroy just picks the opponent apart.

Julio Jones has 10 catches for 142 yards and a TD through 2 games and there are 4 guys in total around 100 receiving yards for the Tide.

Do we really need to bring up the last thread about this? I mean, I was still waiting for your reply, which I never got.

ElectricEye
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM

I'm not watching the same guy as you are. The guy I'm watching is the over exaggeration of a game manager and doesn't throw the ball down the field with any conviction at all. He's a decent quarterback for them all and all, but he's not the reason they've had the success they've had. In no way does "just pick opponents apart".

I'm not going to make a bunch of excuses for Jones because they're are some the lack of production thing is true to a certain extent, but football isn't just about box scores. Jones fits the type of mold the NFL looks for in wide receivers at the moment perfectly and that carries a whole ton of weight. People in the NFL aren't going to look at him and Green next to each other like some people here and have the "HE HAD 300 LESS RECEIVING YARDS TWO YEARS AGO" reaction some people have.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Do we really need to bring up the last thread about this? I mean, I was still waiting for your reply, which I never got.
Reply to what now?

McElroy is averaging like 11 yards an attempt... that's not chump change.

ElectricEye
09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
McElroy is averaging like 11 yards an attempt... that's not chump change.

Again, you're reading off the story of the boxscore not the the tape. Those statistics come against the great pass defenses of San Jose State and Penn State.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Again, you're reading off the story of the boxscore not the the tape. Those statistics come against the great pass defenses of San Jose State and Penn State.
No, if you watched Alabama play against Penn State, you saw McElroy pick the Nittany Lions apart spreading the ball all over the field and not afraid to be aggressive.

Penn State wasn't a bad team... Alabama was just a lot better. They are gonna do that to just about everybody.

SenorGato
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm leaning Green right now because I feel like I underrated him before. That said, I prefer guys like Jones...6'2+ and over 225...they're like big running backs that can catch and run many routes.

ElectricEye
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
No, if you watched Alabama play against Penn State, you saw McElroy pick the Nittany Lions apart spreading the ball all over the field and not afraid to be aggressive.

Penn State wasn't a bad team... Alabama was just a lot better. They are gonna do that to just about everybody.

Never said Penn State was a bad team, just mediocre at defending the pass. The safety play was really bad last week.

Bald_81
09-13-2010, 04:13 AM
For those talking about Green's build and frame:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2u9o502.jpg

It definitely looks like hes thickened up this year. His arms look bigger and he just looks stronger overall. It's a shame we have to wait to see how this translates to the field. As for who's better, give me Green over Jones every day of the week and I sincerely hope we draft AJ to pair him with Bradford next year.

CC.SD
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
regardless of need I would looooove to get either of these guys in Bolts next year.

Julio is the winnar though

JRTPlaya21
09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I think I've been the biggest homer for these two since their high school days. Give me A.J. Green all day though.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2010, 10:14 PM
For those talking about Green's build and frame:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2u9o502.jpg

It definitely looks like hes thickened up this year. His arms look bigger and he just looks stronger overall. It's a shame we have to wait to see how this translates to the field. As for who's better, give me Green over Jones every day of the week and I sincerely hope we draft AJ to pair him with Bradford next year.

Aw, come on. If AJ Green is 210#, I'd be very surprised. Look at #7 standing next to Green, he looks like he's 220-225#.

AJ Green is so skinny he looks like he's wearing shoulder pads with only his jersey on.

Bald_81
09-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Aw, come on. If AJ Green is 210#, I'd be very surprised. Look at #7 standing next to Green, he looks like he's 220-225#.

AJ Green is so skinny he looks like he's wearing shoulder pads with only his jersey on.

#7 is TE Orson Charles and he's listed as 240, for what it's worth. Point being is that AJ has put on plenty of muscle since he's been at Georgia and he should only continue to get stronger. If one of his biggest weaknesses or negatives isn't about his performance on the field, then I'm fine with that.

Go look at pictures or videos of Randy Moss when he was at Marshall. I'm not exaggerating when I say his legs looked like pogo sticks.