PDA

View Full Version : The Official Colts 2010 Season Thread - Week 17 (Titans 20 - Colts 23)

MaxV
09-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Not a good way to start.

I thought we fixed our run defense.

WTF were they doing?

Man, I hope this won't be a season-long problem. AGAIN!

UKfan
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
That was depressing. How Phillip Wheeler can still start is beyond me, did we even play D tackles today? I can't recall a single play by Mookie or Muir and MAYBE one by Eric Foster. That was horrific.

The OL was no better either, Peyton's pocket presence and very quick release prevented them looking any worse than they did.

This could be a long old season.

RagingColt
09-12-2010, 11:42 PM
CJ and Diem both were awful at T today. Who ever put Clark in position to block Mario Williams didn't have a clue . . . The D took the entire 2nd half off, reminded me of the gazillion yard game they gave up vs the Jaguars back several years ago. I see no way the O-line can improve enough for the Colts to do much this year. Ugh.

MaxV
09-13-2010, 07:00 AM
This team won't get far if they continue to get dominated on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

I hope they can fix this problem, fast. Maybe they can mask some of these problems schematically.

Maybe more 2-TE sets on offense and an extra man in the box defensively.

killxswitch
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I think the DL will be ok. It was a bad game for sure but I think they can and will bounce back unless someone was injured and we just don't know about it. But I am more concerned about the OL. They are as bad or worse than I expected. CJ and Saturday 100% healthy are not great options and they're the best OLmen on the team. Diem has been losing step every year since 06. We just don't have any good players on the OL right now. I agree we need more 2 TE sets. Eldridge needs to be out there blocking for now. At least until the OL gets healthier and gels some more. Otherwise Manning is not going to make it through this season.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Soooo Jerry Hughes was impressive last nite I will never understand the logic behind that pick. Polian labeled him as a project from day 1. And Donald Brown where art thou? I would have laughed in anyones face if they said Andre Johnson would have 33 yards and we would lose. sigh...

MaxV
09-18-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.thirdwayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/peyton-manning.jpg

vs.

http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2009/08/eli-manning.jpg

I hope Big Brother wins again tommorow.

killxswitch
09-18-2010, 11:36 PM
I hope so too but I am not counting on it. I don't see what the OL could do in a week to be good enough to win this one. I do think the defense will be improved.

Seamus2602
09-19-2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.thirdwayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/peyton-manning.jpg

vs.

http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2009/08/eli-manning.jpg

I hope Big Brother wins again tommorow.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/leavethemanalone/dwightchain.jpg

killxswitch
09-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Colts looked better in every phase of the game last night. Let's hope Denver plays 4 lineman and 1 LB way too long next Sunday.

RagingColt
09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Agree, the Giants D played into our gameplan quite well. Hopefully the Colts continue to run the ball more so Peyton doesn't get face planted for 4 quarters. Free and Mathis continue to show why the Colts are so difficult to come from behind to win. Good to see Brody get a lot of playing time this week. He doesn't look like a rookie too often.

Last night reminded me why rooting for this team is so much fun, when everything is clicking they are a blast to watch.

killxswitch
09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
It will be interesting to see how Freeney does against that Denver LT that's done so well. I forget his name right now.

MaxV
09-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Some positive signs from yesterday. But there is definitely room for improvement.

Pollak played well. He is showing flashes. I hope he continues to develop.

The rest of the line was kind of so-so. Our running game stopped being productive when the Giants went back to the conventional alignment.

I understand that Saturday and Diem both have had good careers as Colts and perhaps Polian feels loyalty to them, but they are starting to show their age.

We might already have 3 possible replacements for Saturday. Getting a new RT will be more difficult.

As far as Charlie Johnson goes, I think we might as well get used to him at LT. It doesn't look like Polian is in a rush to replace him.

MaxV
09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
This was a quality road win. But there are still a lot of concerns about this team.

- Austin Collie. It's great to see this young player developing into a very fine NFL WR. Great route running, good hands and can run after the catch.

- What an awesome job on that key 3rd-and-15. If we don't pick that up, Broncos might have tied it.

- Overall, defense didn't have a very good day, but they definitely played at their best in the red-zone. When they needed a stop, they got it. A great goal-line stand.

- Jeff Linkenbach did a fine job filling in for Charlie. Not a bad looking OL, although I doubt that he is our long-term solution at LT.

- Another game, another mediocre run-blocking performance from the O-Line. Something has to change.

- This game kind of exposed our secondary. They are probably a bit overrated. If we aren't getting consistent pass-rush, we are in trouble.

- Way too many missed tackles. That includes guys who are usually sure tacklers.

killxswitch
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
The DL needs to stop stunting so much. I think the heat and elevation had some to do with it too but too many times our DTs were looping around and spinning uselessly while Orton waited and waited for a receiver to get open.

Linkenbach is raw but has some good athleticism. I would like to see what he could do in Diem's spot once CJ is healthy.

I wouldn't even call our run blocking mediocre. At least they protected Manning better. Though that has as much to do with the Broncos as it does any improvement from the OL.

The Unseen
10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Good game. Any normal game you would win, just got some bad breaks. We can and never have been able to stop Wayne.

MaxV
10-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Great. Jags offense plays like crap before they face us. 31 points. Horrible game by the D.

Man, this team still has a bunch of holes. Holes that Polian just seems to ignore.

killxswitch
10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Since 2006:

- The DTs are too small and get pushed back by average OL
- Our CBs give too big of a cushion
- Our midget LBs fall for misdirection and overpursue

Why are we still running this same stupid defensive scheme with the same personnel problems 4 years later? When Dungy was here it only barely worked because he had the ear of the whole team and they played disciplined. It was a bad defense then and now that Dungy is gone the discipline is gone with it. So we have a team that can't stop the run or the pass.

Meanwhile Manning has played maybe the best first 4 games of the season he ever has. His career as a Colt has been largely wasted. He's not even the highest-paid QB anymore, there is no excuse for the team to have a bad defense year after year and an OL that has gotten worse and worse since winning the SB.

RagingColt
10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Agree with ya, lousy O-Line, undisciplined D-line in the running game and no logic for Polian on a number of pics. Caldwell calling a TO on 2nd and 2 didn't help matters. I think in next year's draft, we need to target run blockers, a starting caliber LT and some run stuffing DTs. Bigger LBs would be good too. Making the playoffs with as many holes as this team has will be tough but doable. I'm thinking we're a 10-6 or 9-7 team right now without much improvement.

Realize Polian wanted to surround Manning with plenty of skill position players, but he forgot the bread and butter . .. the O-Line. The whiff picks of Ugoh and Pollack don't help.

RCAChainGang
10-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm kinda down on Caldwell.

What do you guys think?

MaxV
10-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm kinda down on Caldwell.

What do you guys think?

What does he do exactly?

BTW, our problems aren't only personnel. Our defensive scheme is basically a "prevent" defense.

It seems that our defensive coaches get out-coached frequently and rarely make in-game adjustments.

We seem to be very predictable on defense, with obvious weak spots.

killxswitch
10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
I don't think much of him right now but I am not ready to fire him.

Last year Caldwell made a bunch of moves that seemed like no-brainers but that Dungy refused to make. Examples:

- Fired Russ Purnell
- Didn't renew Ron Meeks' contract
- Benched a bunch of losers like Ugoh and Pollak
- Made good in-game adjustments

No one is perfect so mistakes are expected. But the timeout at the end of the game was incredibly dumb. If Hayden had caught that INT it still would've been dumb. What really bothers me is that he defended the decision and says he'd do it again. This indicated either an unwillingness to admit mistakes or insanity, and neither is a good option.

MaxV
10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure he would make a different decision (unless, he's REALLY dumb).

He just said it to stand firm in front of the media.

MaxV
10-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Bullitt likely out for the rest of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5650578

Wow, this is getting ugly. We might be in trouble here.

Who will replace him?

killxswitch
10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure he would make a different decision (unless, he's REALLY dumb).

He just said it to stand firm in front of the media.

If he wouldn't then I don't see any point in saying he would. He is not saving any face, he just looks either stubborn or stupid. Or both, really.

If Bulitt is out for the season we are in big trouble.

MaxV
10-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Who replaces Bullitt?

Morgan, King or someone new?

King seems more of a FS, but he might help our pass coverage.

killxswitch
10-05-2010, 11:28 AM
For now probably Morgan. They might take a look at Michael Lewis, who the 49ers just released per his request.

killxswitch
10-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Lots of unsatisfying roster movement tonight.

Mitch King waived.
Melvin Bullit and Devon Moore IRed
Kenny Moore, Mike Newton, and Aaron Francisco signed.

I hate this season. The lone bright spot could be Ricardo Matthews getting some PT.

RCAChainGang
10-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Lots of unsatisfying roster movement tonight.

Mitch King waived.
Melvin Bullit and Devon Moore IRed
Kenny Moore, Mike Newton, and Aaron Francisco signed.

I hate this season. The lone bright spot could be Ricardo Matthews getting some PT.

Yeah...

Love the sig by the way.

MaxV
10-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Nooooo!

Not Mitch!

Is Keyunta Dawson really better?

killxswitch
10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Nooooo!

Not Mitch!

Is Keyunta Dawson really better?

He absolutely isn't. But King has been a huge disappointment to me. I really thought he would make a difference as an interior pass rusher. I would've cut Dawson first, but King probably doesn't belong on the team either.

In other news, Colts sign Javarris James to the active roster and cut Tyjuan Haggler. Again.

vidae
10-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Good luck today guys, it should be a fun game to watch. :)

bored of education
10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
From your friends over in the KC team forum we say best of luck, have a fun day and hope everyone except Peyton Manning stays healthy.

vidae
10-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Good game guys. Good luck the rest of the way.

MaxV
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
- Big props to Kansas City. Good team. It takes a fine defense to keep the Colts' Offense out of sync for most of the game, especially at home.

- As a Penn State fan, I'm glad Tamba Hali is playing great. He just ABUSED Ryan Diem in this game. Where are those "experts" that claimed he was a reach in the 1st round?

- Colts O-line in general continues to disappoint. I would say every position on the line can be upgraded and at least 3 of them NEED to be replaced.

- Mike Hart. Now, he's not as explosive as Brown or Addai, but he breaks more tackles then either one of them. With our O-line issues, maybe that's exactly what we need. I think he should get more playing time.

- Austin Collie is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. The guy runs excellent routes and catches nearly everything.

- D played ok. Matt Cassel kind of made them look better with some terrible throws. I do like an improvement in the running D.

T-RICH49
10-10-2010, 04:35 PM
good game.btw...can we borrow one of your 1,000,000 WR's?

Seamus2602
10-11-2010, 06:10 AM
The curse of Romeo strikes again. Peyton Manning has played Romeo Crennel led defences 13 times in his career. He has 15 career TDs in those games, 21 Interceptions and a passer rating of 70.8. He hasn't thrown a Touchdown against Crennel since the 9th September 2004, in a loss against the Patriots.

MaxV
10-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Tough game awaits in Washington. Our O-line has another challenge against a 3-4 team with good front 7.

We might get Gonzo and Brown back. That's pretty good, but I was hoping Hart will get more touches. He has earned them.

killxswitch
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I keep hearing how great the defense was vs. KC but I didn't see it that way. I saw KC's offense needing a couple WRs and a QB. A win is a win but it didn't make me feel good about going to DC next week.

Orakpo vs. Diem scares the crap out of me. That guy hits hard and Diem will not keep him away from Manning without help. We will need lots of 2 TE sets and RBs chipping.

I know the Skins OTs had some injury issues so that might be good news for Freeney and Mathis. But they will need some help from the DTs. Otherwise they'll just double and triple the ends, single block our DTs, and have plenty of time to complete passes even with fewer receivers.

MaxV
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah, Chiefs offense shot themselves in the foot a few times.

Indy has several holes. And we'll only be able to fix them in the off-season. For now, we can just hope that certain players step up.

We'll need to make O-Line a priority in the draft. Both Guards and OTs. RT for sure, Diem is done. Saturday is almost done also, but I think we have a replacement for him on the roster already. CJ isn't a long-term solution at LT, but the organization seems to trust him and I'm not sure that they are looking to replace him yet.

As far as defensively, we still could use a disruptive DT. The LBs on our roster are talented, but they tend to overrun plays. That includes the usually reliable Brackett as well.

Safety might be a need now also. Another talented corner wouldn't hurt also.

Seamus2602
10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
After the first drive, when Kansas City looked like they would rape the Colts Arian Foster style, the team shut the run down pretty well. They limited KC to about 50 yards after that first drive. The fact is that the Colts Offense (cough 18 cough) had one of its worst games in a long time (since the last time they faced Romeo Crennel) yet still won 19 - 9, when the Chiefs where gifted 6 points by one of the worst Interceptions of Manning's career, and an act of complete stupidity by Hayden. The defense has its critics, and fairly has its critics, but credit needs to be given where credit was due. After the first drive the Chiefs couldn't pass and the Colts didn't let them run.

D-Unit
10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
PM me if interested in being the GM of your team in our forum mock!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43261

MaxV
10-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Ok, that was a bit too exciting.

Angerer played ok, I would say. He made some nice plays on occasion and also made some rookie mistakes as well. He has talent, might be a player with more seasoning.

Overall, we have to go back to the days of Cato June to find so many missed tackles in a game. That's inexcusable. It has to be corrected.

Moala specifically. He did a good job of penetrating and had Torrain in the backfield, only to let him go. He is showing his talent, but he's also showing that he's not a finished product.

Nice gamble by Francisco. It could've been one of the biggest bone-headed plays ever. But a great play.

Offense moved the ball well, although you can't give a team life with a 3-and-out on that last possession. Maybe running the ball in that situation would've been smart.

killxswitch
10-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok, that was a bit too exciting.

Angerer played ok, I would say. He made some nice plays on occasion and also made some rookie mistakes as well. He has talent, might be a player with more seasoning.

Overall, we have to go back to the days of Cato June to find so many missed tackles in a game. That's inexcusable. It has to be corrected.

Moala specifically. He did a good job of penetrating and had Torrain in the backfield, only to let him go. He is showing his talent, but he's also showing that he's not a finished product.

Nice gamble by Francisco. It could've been one of the biggest bone-headed plays ever. But a great play.

Offense moved the ball well, although you can't give a team life with a 3-and-out on that last possession. Maybe running the ball in that situation would've been smart.

Agree with a lot of that Maxey. Here are my quick-hit thoughts.

The tackling is a problem. Mathis, Freeney, Moala, all 3 LBs, and Hayden all looked stupid at some point trying to tackle somebody. Freeney and Mathis try too much for the strip sack when they should get a handful of jersey and bring the QB down. Strip sacks are great but sacks can just be sacks.

At one point I think Wheeler actually knocked Session off of a tackle on Torrain. He is terrible.

I liked Angerer. He played like a rookie but he did not play tentative, and you could tell on some plays that he was reacting instinctively instead of thinking and then acting. He needs to improve his pass coverage and not bite on play action, but I think he will be a good player.

I think Francisco is better in coverage than Bullit. He is not the run stopper that Bullit was so Bethea will probably have to step up there.

Powers had a fantastic game. Coverage, run support, not fumbling on a punt return, all of it.

The 3-and-out on the 2nd to last possession was inexcusable. Run the ball at least once to force a timeout or knock some time off the clock. I thought it was Jacksonville clock management all over again.

Tryon has done a decent job at CB3. He doesn't seem to get burned like Lacey does but he hasn't had the flashy plays Lacey's had yet.

Ryan Diem is going to get Manning killed. If Orakpo had gone for the big hit instead of the strip sack Manning would've had to leave the game. He was completely unblocked. Put Linkenbach at RT, move Diem to LG, and put Devan back at RG. 3 OL spots immediately improve.

MaxV
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Why is Kenny Moore still our KR? He blows.

Give Brandon James a shot.

killxswitch
10-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Why is Kenny Moore still our KR? He blows.

Give Brandon James a shot.

I doubt he'll make it through the rest of this week. They put Powers in at the end of the game, when Powers had been having a great game. They had to have done that because they were done with Moore. He is terrible. Even if he'd hung onto the ball his "returns" were pretty poor.

MaxV
10-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Pat McAfee......I don't know how to describe this. There are just no words.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706081

RagingColt
10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Kenny Moore was cut this week. As for Pat, ugh.

Asked by police how much he had to drink, McAfee said "A lot cause I am drunk," according to the report.

LMAO, what a great response. Pat seemed like a free-wheeling dude, this kinda proves that.

killxswitch
10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Hey at least he didn't try to drive. Pretty dumb move on his part but it could've been much worse.

Seamus2602
10-20-2010, 05:03 PM
McAfee has been suspended by the team for 1 game (the Houston game), while multiple sources are reporting that Dallas Clark is out indefinitely, possibly for the Season.

MaxV
10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I hope Tamme can step up. We'll need him.

killxswitch
10-21-2010, 12:40 PM
The suspension for McAfee is ridiculous. Moala didn't even get a slap on the wrist (that we know of) and he DROVE WHILE DRUNK. McAfee was walking around and did not put anyone else in danger.

As for Clark he has not had that great of a year but obviously the rest of the receivers will miss the coverage he drew. I hope it is just a few weeks and not the whole season.

MaxV
10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
A "rare" wrist injury.

Ok, WTF does that mean?

Seamus2602
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
The suspension for McAfee is ridiculous. Moala didn't even get a slap on the wrist (that we know of) and he DROVE WHILE DRUNK. McAfee was walking around and did not put anyone else in danger.

As for Clark he has not had that great of a year but obviously the rest of the receivers will miss the coverage he drew. I hope it is just a few weeks and not the whole season.

If Clark had kept pace for the rest of the season he would have had the 2nd best year of his career in both Receptions and Yards, and the 3rd best year of his career in Touchdowns.

Moala had one too many drinks and drove home in early evening. Yeah he was drink driving but was still far more sensible that McAfee.

Also, Caldwell has indicated that it isn't as much the difference between McAfee and Moala's cases but more the Colts shifting policy after the 4th Alcohol related incident in as many months.

MaxV
10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Tough game coming up. This is a must win, we can't afford to be 0-3 within the division.

killxswitch
10-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Paul Kuharsky had a good blog post about the AFC South and specifically this game against Houston.

You don’t need me to tell you the magnitude of Monday night’s game between the Texans and Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium.

A Colts win puts them at 5-2. They will be either a half game up or down on the Titans, who will be 6-2 or 5-3 after a Sunday afternoon game in San Diego. The Colts will be a game ahead of 4-3 Houston. Indianapolis would have washed away the Texans’ head-to-head tie-breaking advantage by evening the season series.

A Texans win puts them at 5-2. They will either a half game up or down on the Titans, who will be 6-2 or 5-3. They will be a game and a half up on the 4-3 Colts. They’d hold a tie-breaker over Indianapolis from the sweep of the season series.

Seven or eight games into the season is early to talk playoff scenarios.

Except for this: I don’t believe two teams from the AFC South are getting into the playoffs.

Barring catastrophes, I think New England and the New York Jets are locks out of the AFC East and that Pittsburgh and Baltimore are locks out of the AFC North.

That leaves only one spot for the AFC South. Win the division, or you may be staying home, even with a great record. Lose Monday night, and you’re chances at the division crown take a significant fall.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/17032/i-think-afc-south-gets-only-one-playoff-spot

MaxV
10-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Steelers, Jets and Ravens are all VERY lucky to win their last games.

I'm not sure I would put them under "locks" category just yet.

The Titans look as impressive as any of those teams.

MaxV
11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Good win.

Plenty of things to like and not to like about this game.

- Man, TACKLE THE BALL-CARRIER! This needs to be corrected. I'm sorry, this is just inexcusable.

- Please tell me Mike Hart is ok. Please, please, please. He ran VERY well today. He is such a decisive runner, unlike Brown.

- Jacob Tamme can play. I can see why Colts' trusted him to step up.

- TERRIBLE game by Ryan Diem. Those penalties could've been VERY costly.

- As expected, some dropped passes and miss-communication with receivers, but they did fine. Gonzo needs to get up to speed with the offense. He and Peyton weren't on the same page on several plays. When is Collie coming back?

- Still see the linebackers overrunning the plays.

- Depleted secondary did a decent job. Tryon was a decent pickup imo.

ironman4579
11-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Mike Hart: 3 more carries than Donald Brown, 68 more yards, 7 YPC average, averaging 4.7 YPC on the season. I always said he'd be a good NFL RB if someone would give him a chance to get a decent amount of carries. Of course I'm a Michigan fan, so I'm biased.

RagingColt
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Call this is total team effort in achieving the W.

Free & Mathis dominated the Texans O-Line all night

Sessions played well - I hope he's resigned

Tyron and the Blair White Project were more than good returning kicks esp compared to some of the bums they've had back there this year - both were decisive and moved up field quickly

Agree on Diem, ugh

Hart did an awesome job on runs - he picked up additional yardage after getting hit for the 1st time, something we don't see from Brown and to some extent Addai

Peyt - what is there to say that hasn't been said - no modern NFL QB comes close in filling the role that he plays for the team

Our late game clock management wasn't good, 3 passes on our last drive to kill the clock resulted in less than 30 seconds in TOP. Texans got the ball back with more than 3 minutes left. Reminded me of the San Diego playoff loss from 2 years ago when they couldn't milk the clock.

Onto Philly to play the Vick/Kolb led Eagles.

Seamus2602
11-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Our late game clock management wasn't good, 3 passes on our last drive to kill the clock resulted in less than 30 seconds in TOP. Texans got the ball back with more than 3 minutes left. Reminded me of the San Diego playoff loss from 2 years ago when they couldn't milk the clock.

Even without bringing up Colts Offensive Line, when your top two Tight Ends (including your beast of a blocking Tight End) are out, your top 3 Running Backs are all out, anyone is going to struggle to run out the clock.

Freeney was Freeney. Mathis was Mathis... Diem was Diem.

I love Peyton Manning pulling out all the stops though. Get's his first First Down in over two years, puts in a lead block for Garcon. While slightly worried that the star Quarterback, the life and soul of the team, is putting in a lead block but quite happy with the effort.

MaxV
11-02-2010, 04:42 PM
BTW, another thing that should be mentioned:

Blair White did a fine job filling in as a Punt Returner. Obviously, no one will confuse him for Hester, but, with a short roster, we can't afford to have a one-dimensional specialist.

MaxV
11-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Any updates on our injured players?

How bad was Mikey Hart's injury?

killxswitch
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I haven't heard anything yet either. A healthy Addai and Hart would be awfully nice. Brown can go on IR for all I care. Horrible pick.

RagingColt
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Doesn't sound good for Hart or Gonzo to play on Sunday vs. Philly. Via Phil B on Twitter: No interviews with #Colts RB Mike Hart (left ankle) or WR Anthony Gonzalez (left knee) today. Casts doubt on their availability for Sunday.

killxswitch
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Now Session has a fractured forearm and dislocated elbow. Pretty amazing he played through it.

MaxV
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Even with Session it'll be a big challenge to contain Vick.

With him out, Vick could have a monster game.

Who is expected to be the replacement? Wheeler at WLB?

killxswitch
11-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Even with Session it'll be a big challenge to contain Vick.

With him out, Vick could have a monster game.

Who is expected to be the replacement? Wheeler at WLB?

Actually I've read it's Hagler at WLB. Wheeler has really fallen out of favor.

MaxV
11-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Colts will have to do a better job of containment in this game. Over-pursuing can really cost them.

KCJ58
11-06-2010, 07:33 PM
justin tryon is out was seen in a walking boot, do you think Blair will take over Kick Return duties along with his Punt Return duties?

MaxV
11-07-2010, 05:01 PM
I really hope Austin Collie is ok.

RCAChainGang
11-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I really hope Austin Collie is ok.

Yeah I hope so too. I've seen a lot of football but the way he twitched as he laid on that turf made me cringe. My hat is off to him doing that in the slot every week. He has been such an incredible WR for this team stepping up his rookie year when Gonzo bit the dust.

MaxV
11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Far from a spectacular win, but job is done.

I hope the offense got it's struggles out of the way in this one. They'll have to be MUCH sharper from now on.

Our remaining schedule is brutal.

I only saw the first half. How did Linkenbach look?

killxswitch
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Far from a spectacular win, but job is done.

I hope the offense got it's struggles out of the way in this one. They'll have to be MUCH sharper from now on.

Our remaining schedule is brutal.

I only saw the first half. How did Linkenbach look?

He struggled at times and did let Manning get hit but I was also paying more attention to other parts of the offense more than I usually do. It was frustrating watching our WRs not get any separation. And of course most games the running game is frustrating. I did not think Linkenbach looked too bad. I think he would do better at RT with Diem kicked in to guard though. Linkenbach is obviously quicker and more athletic whereas I'm guessing Diem is stronger and could probably better handle DTs.

MaxV
11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
What do we think about Colts-Pats?

If we play vs. Pats the way we did vs. Bengals, we'll get smoked. This has to be our 'A' game.

I hope Addai (or Hart), Collie, Brackett and possibly Session are back by next week.

I also heard that Tamme got hurt yesterday. I REALLY hope it's not serious. We need him.

killxswitch
11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
We need Addai or Hart and Collie back. The offense is just too simple with only Garcon, Brown, and Tamme as the primary weapons (other than Wayne who is too slow to beat his double coverage).

Frankly I just don't think we will win in NE. I am surprised the team is 6-3 as it is.

RagingColt
11-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Looks like Collie might play but Joe and Hart are still not playing. Our lack of talent on the O-Line is going to be exposed in this one. Garcon needs to come back to reality and start catching the ball since Reggie will be doubled for most of the game. Everyone needs to play awesome for the Colts to have a chance. If the Colts keep it close at halftime, I'll be mildly surprised.

killxswitch
11-20-2010, 06:09 PM
The Pats DL is not that great so I don't think this will be the hardest test for the OL. That said I don't think the Colts have much of a chance in this one.

MaxV
11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Why do we always find a way to lose against these guys?

We had them!

3 Ints from Peyton REALLY hurt.

I wish we had a running game. I knew that not having Hart or Addai would be a problem. Brown is good for 1 good run per game, but goes down on one-arm tackles almost every time.

D decided to take the whole first half off. Woke up in the 4th quarter.

RagingColt
11-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Despite all the negatives, we had the ball inside the Pats 30 under 2 mins to go and win the game. Peyton's hurried throws were the difference. Should the Colts go ahead to win the division and make the playoffs this year, the rematch will for sure be in Pat land. Lack of D for most of the game killed any real chance of winning. Next up, the Chargers who seem to play the colts as well as anyone.

killxswitch
11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Despite all the negatives, we had the ball inside the Pats 30 under 2 mins to go and win the game. Peyton's hurried throws were the difference. Should the Colts go ahead to win the division and make the playoffs this year, the rematch will for sure be in Pat land. Lack of D for most of the game killed any real chance of winning. Next up, the Chargers who seem to play the colts as well as anyone.

Not so sure about that. If the Jets keep winning the Patriots could be a 5th seed with a great record. As backwards as it is depending on seeding we could host them in the wildcard round.

Regardless this team is not going to win any playoff games on the road and the only reason we still have a shot at the division is because Tennessee and Houston are dysfunctional.

Seamus2602
11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
The last 6 games are pretty favourable. If we beat Jacksonville we only really need to win 3 of the other 5. Lose to Jacksonville and we probably need to win all 5. Of the 6 games 2 are against Dallas and Oakland. 4 are at home. The key issues will be when we get our injured players back. Addai, Hart, Collie, Brackett, Session, possibly even Bob Sanders will be back for the Titans game. Just remember that this team, with all the injuries that they have had, was 24 yards away from being 2nd in the AFC and 3rd in NFL.

MaxV
11-28-2010, 06:04 PM
So who is in and who is out for this game?

Please tell me it's not another week of Brown starting.

killxswitch
11-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Sorry Max. And unfortunately Brown was the least of the problems tonight. The entire OL should be fired for their putrid performance this season.

This may be post-loss negativity but I think we should stop trying to win this season, making the playoffs would be counter productive. This team isn't winning anything in the post season. It's time to reload in the offseason and go away from small and fast because it just means injuries and not being able to field a capable team. We have a popgun offense and half the starting defense is out with injury.

I can't even bring myself to be upset at the no-call where Weddle knocked Wayne down and got a pick 6. It wouldn't have mattered.

MaxV
11-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, obviously I'm against giving up.

Don't forget about the 2006 season and how terrible our defense played during that regular season.

I'm still hopeful that we can turn it around.

We need to get healthy and fast.

Thankfully, our whole division has been self-destructing, not only us.

MaxV
11-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Colts have been a team that relies on the draft so much that even one mediocre class puts us in a tough situation.

Unfortunately, Polian has had several mediocre classes in row now. As a result, we have weaknesses in several positions.

UKfan
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Speaking of the draft, what's going on with Jerry Hughes? Anything? I didn't like the pick back then, and frankly its looking worse now

MaxV
11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Ugoh, Pollak, Gonzo, Brown, etc.

We could've gotten several good players instead of these guys.

It pisses me off.

MaxV
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Speaking of the draft, what's going on with Jerry Hughes? Anything? I didn't like the pick back then, and frankly its looking worse now

He got in on a few plays so far this season. But primarily he has been playing on ST.

I'm hoping he's not a bust, but it wouldn't shock me.

He is a good athlete, but not as explosive as either Freeney or Mathis. Plus he doesn't use his hands to shed blockers anywhere near as well as those 2.

MaxV
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Looking at next year's draft class, I'm really underwhelmed by the prospects at positions that are our biggest needs (OG, OT, DT).

Shane P. Hallam posted an interesting list of underclassmen that might declare. I hope all of them enter the draft.

Among those senior prospects that have a chance to fall to us, I would say that Nate Solder (OT), Demarcus Love (OT), Christian Ballard (DT) and Marcus Cannon (OG) intrigue me the most. Maybe Carimi also, as a Diem replacement at RT, but probably more of 2nd rounder.

I'm a bit iffy on Castonzo.

I love the DE prospects in this draft and a very talented one will probably be there for us. But could we pick a DE 2 years in a row?

killxswitch
11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Looking at next year's draft class, I'm really underwhelmed by the prospects at positions that are our biggest needs (OG, OT, DT).

Shane P. Hallam posted an interesting list of underclassmen that might declare. I hope all of them enter the draft.

Among those senior prospects that have a chance to fall to us, I would say that Nate Solder (OT), Demarcus Love (OT), Christian Ballard (DT) and Marcus Cannon (OG) intrigue me the most.

I love the DE prospects in this draft and a very talented one will probably be there for us. But could we pick a DE 2 years in a row?

I doubt it. With Polian any pick is possible but I have a feeling he will take an offensive player this year. My hope would be OLman but a WR or RB would not surprise me. I look at it like this. In 09 the team had problems running the ball and despite people saying it was because of the OL, Polian took a RB. I think this year he will look at the problems in the passing game and say "we need a WR" rather than looking at the OL that isn't giving the passing plays a chance to develop.

Then again this year the team may have a much higher pick. Polian often says he doesn't take OL or DT late in the 1st because the value isn't there.

Really I just never know what the hell Polian is going to do. And I'm not sure how much drafting is really Bill anymore. I think Chris has had more and more to do with it starting in 07.

For what it's worth I liked the Jerry Hughes pick and I still kind of do. I think it made sense at the time. One or both of Freeney and Mathis seem to wear down by the end of the year so it makes sense to have a 3rd guy in there, especially if you have a way to work him into the game as a 3rd pass rusher. But that hasn't happened this year and I don't know if it will. I don't hate the pick but I don't like that he never plays, especially when we see guys like Roger Saffold doing so well and knowing we could've had him and he'd be making an impact right now.

MaxV
11-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh man, I hope we don't pick a WR or RB in the first again. Not unless it's the next Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice.

killxswitch
11-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh man, I hope we don't pick a WR or RB in the first again. Not unless it's the next Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice.

I don't want one either but I think it will happen.

It figures we will probably have a lower pick in a year when the OL (and DT for that matter) talent is apparently not that great.

MaxV
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, if all the top guy at our need positions are gone, then I want one of those talented 280+ lbs DE prospects that this draft is full of.

A guy who can help us both against the run as a DE and against the pass as a DT.

killxswitch
11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Well, if all the top guy at our need positions are gone, then I want one of those talented 280+ lbs DE prospects that this draft is full of.

A guy who can help us both against the run as a DE and against the pass as a DT.

I agree a pick that takes Keyunta Dawson off the field is a good one.

RCAChainGang
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Back in the dome! :)

MaxV
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
We are just falling apart.

MAJOR changed need to be made.

RagingColt
12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Ugh. Multiple chances to win and yet, we earned the loss today. Time to clean house on the O-Line, cut high round bust draft picks(Gonzo, Brown) and perhaps ponder about booting management and or/coaches. If Chris Polian has been calling the shots for the last two years draft pick wise, I'm not impressed. Caldwell looks lost most of the time though I'm not sure how to distinguish his lost look from his 'I know what's going on' face.

Realize we are down to backups playing key positions on offense, but still this is bad football to watch. O-Line consisting of undrafted scrubs and late draft picks can't move a yugo downhill. Cut Pollak, Devan, Diem, Richard and move Charlie to left guard. Saturday at this point should be a back up though I doubt Peyton would want Jeff gone. Scott in his latest mock has us picking a DT in the 1st which I can't argue with, but our need on the O-Line is much greater. If we have a competent running game, our lack of run stopping talent on D isn't as big of a deal assuming we are playing with the lead most of the time. Time to bring in a whole new line who can run block.

The above said, I'm not sure who the Colts would hire to coach this team. Manning appears to be overwhelmed trying to coach all the back ups. His role in that nature needs to be reduced to where he's just playing his part and not being a full time offensive coordinator. We need a coach who can motivate players but at the same time not freak out at every little thing.

MaxV
12-06-2010, 07:27 AM
RagingColt, I agree with everything you've said, except for moving CJ to guard. He has ZERO run-blocking ability.

Fact of the matter, we are well below-average at every position on the O-line. And big changes need to be made.

killxswitch
12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I think that healthy CJ can play either guard position or RT. He is obviously not healthy, he started the year with I think leg injury and now has a back injury he's playing through. He is miscast at LT but even injured he is better than anyone else on the line. He is the only player I think would be worth keeping next year.

Someone in power on this team needs to stop thinking emotionally. Keeping guys like Saturday and Diem, hiring Fat Dungy for "continuity", etc is hurting the team. The solution for injuries is absolutely NOT putting more responsibility on Manning while the front office tries to ride his coattails to greatness. He's proving that this year, the last few games he looks like he did back in the early 2000s. He's panicking, pushing too hard, making bad decisions, and there's no one that is going to rein him in. It is time to get rid of the ones content to sit back and say things like "As long as we've got #18 throwing the ball, we'll be ok". We need guys, on staff and on the team, that take pride in doing their job and shouldering their responsibility. Manning is just a player, he is not a "coach on the field" or any of that nonsense. A great player, but just a player. It is not his job to run the team.

This organization needs to pull its head out of its ass.

MaxV
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Agree to disagree, killxswitch.

CJ is a finesse blocker, who has ALWAYS been a liability as a run-blocker. He gets pushed around by 260-lbs speed-rushers. I really don't see how he would improve our line as a OG or RT.

Let's face it, he would be at his best as a versatile super-sub.

Fact of the matter Colts don't have a single starting-caliber O-Lineman on the roster at this point.

killxswitch
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Agree to disagree, killxswitch.

CJ is a finesse blocker, who has ALWAYS been a liability as a run-blocker. He gets pushed around by 260-lbs speed-rushers. I really don't see how he would improve our line as a OG or RT.

Let's face it, he would be at his best as a versatile super-sub.

Fact of the matter Colts don't have a single starting-caliber O-Lineman on the roster at this point.

I actually do agree with that. But realistically I don't think we can change more than maybe 2-3 starters on the OL in the offseason. There are plenty of places where he wouldn't start, but he is the bet OLman we have now.

It makes me sad to look back at the starting line of Tarik Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Jake Scott, and Diem. Compared to the dog **** we have now that was one hell of a line. Now Glenn is retired, Lilja cut, Scott signed with the Titans, and the last two are 2+ years past being any good.

RagingColt
12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
http://twitter.com/JimIrsay

Dom Rhodes is apparently back with the team or at least in for a tryout.

MaxV
12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh, Jeez. You might as well give Edge a tryout.

killxswitch
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh what the hell does this mean now? Dominic Rhodes? Seriously?

MaxV
12-07-2010, 09:40 PM
The kid they signed a couple of weeks ago, Joique Bell, he looked promising on highlights.

Why not give him a shot?

What do we have to lose? No one else can run behind this line. I'm pretty sure Rhodes will be running into the wall every time.

MaxV
12-08-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't know if you guys agree with me, but Marcus Cannon is my top prospect (among those that have a good shot of being there for us).

killxswitch
12-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Not sure about Cannon. I mean I like him but can he play LT? This might get into the disagreement we have about CJ but I think a LT prospect is necessary for max improvement of the OL.

The OL has to get better immediately. CJ needs to be playing RT. Polian can't/won't make enough moves to completely replace every OL starter this offseason so we have to assume that CJ at the very least will still be starting. His best spot IMO is RT. If we were to get a Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod that would improve 2 spots immediately.

I also think Cannon might be available in the 2nd. Maybe he can play LT but I think he will be a really good guard in the NFL.

Did any of you hear on the Polian show where he admitted drafting Hughes instead of Saffold was a mistake? I was shocked.

MaxV
12-08-2010, 08:48 AM
We have to spend multiple picks on O-Linemen.

I'm usually against picking OG in the 1st round (unless he's sure-fire Pro-Bowler), but it is a such a HUGE need for us.

I guess Guard is the position that you don't appreciate enough until you find out (the hard way) just how important it is.

I mean, I liked both Lija and Scott, but I NEVER thought that losing them would turn into such a NIGHTMARE for us.

killxswitch
12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
We have to spend multiple picks on O-Linemen.

I'm usually against picking OG in the 1st round (unless he's sure-fire Pro-Bowler), but it is a such a HUGE need for us.

I guess Guard is the position that you don't appreciate enough until you find out (the hard way) just how important it is.

I mean, I liked both Lija and Scott, but I NEVER thought that losing them would turn into such a NIGHTMARE for us.

Losing Glenn to retirement, Scott to FA, and Lilja to injury where the big ones. This signing of Rhodes makes me remember his 1000 yard year when Edge got hurt. It wasn't because Rhodes was that good. It's because the OL at the time was that good. I shake my head when I think about drafting these 1st round "skill position" players that either suck (Brown) or are too hurt to play (Gonzo).

I agree OL should be the target in the first two rounds. I am hoping the top talent at WR and DE will mean teams will leave the OL talent alone. If we could somehow get Carimi/Sherrod and Cannon/Pouncey, even if it meant trading up in the 2nd, that would be amazing.

I think if Diem were retained he could play guard effectively. He still has strength. He just has no foot speed or agility. Put him in a phone booth and he can play well, IMO.

1st rounder at LT, Johnson at RT, Diem and either Devan or a 2nd round guard at LT, and Saturday/Pollak at center would be a realistic and significant improvement IMO.

MaxV
12-08-2010, 09:11 AM
They probably won't trust Peyton's blind-side to a rookie, so expect another season of CJ at LT.

killxswitch
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
They probably won't trust Peyton's blind-side to a rookie, so expect another season of CJ at LT.

From Polian's comments about Saffold I am not so sure about that.

MaxV
12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
He was also very critical of interior 3.

killxswitch
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
He was also very critical of interior 3.

If we come out of the draft with 2 of the 4 in my sig I think we will be on our way to a much better OL. It might be tough but it is time to start trading on draft day to get the players we need instead of just taking the most valuable player at the spot we happen to find ourselves in.

killxswitch
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Bob Sanders to IR. Only 13 weeks too late.

MaxV
12-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Eh. Ok win. We still made it MUCH more interesting then it should've been.

We actually ran the ball today, somewhat. But this line still sucks.

killxswitch
12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
The line does still suck.

Wideouts looked fantastic.

James is clearly better than Brown.

The defensive scheme is horrible and needs to be scrapped. I don't think our players are that bad other than the banged up secondary. I think the scheme is garbage.

Great kick by AV for 46 yards.

Terrible clock mgmt by the Titans at the end.

TitanHope
12-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Good game guys.

</3

killxswitch
12-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Tough loss TH. Neither team probably deserved to win that one.

RagingColt
12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Ugly wins count the same as pretty ones. At least we have a few extra days to rest before the Jaguars game now. Game ball goes to Garcon tonight, played determined and intense. Finally looks healthy for the first time this year.

TitanHope
12-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Tough loss TH. Neither team probably deserved to win that one.

You guys definitely deserved it more.

Also, I LOL when somebody posts about fixing the Colts or Peyton Manning. Pretty funny.

RagingColt
12-14-2010, 10:12 PM
What's everyone think of our chances on Sunday vs the Jags?

MaxV
12-15-2010, 07:18 AM
It'll most likely be a high-scoring game. We gotta contain MJD.

As usual, the passing offense will have to do most of the heavy lifting.

We can't lose 3 straight at home, can we?

MaxV
12-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Colts just signed Michael Toudouze. Apparently CJ might be out vs. Jags.

This just gets better and better.

killxswitch
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
It sucks that he's out but Linkenbach has done ok at LT. He is a horrible guard but at LT I think he is alright.

MaxV
12-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Maybe they can try Toudouze at OG.

I remember him playing a bit for us a couple of years ago and he played with pretty good leverage.

killxswitch
12-15-2010, 11:43 AM
It is hard to imagine Toudouze being an upgrade at guard but with the guys we have now who knows.

The Unseen
12-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Good game guys. Rep the division in the playoffs. Jags are done.

MaxV
12-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Unseen, I hope Colts take the division, but the Raiders game is FAR from a sure win.

Oakland is a physical team that can run the ball and play D. Those kind of a teams have been giving us problems this season.

MaxV
12-19-2010, 10:21 PM
How about Donald Brown today? Niiiice. Good run-blocking, Finally! I really hope that continues.

I can't believe we ran the ball and stopped the run today. I can't remember the last game in which that happened. It's gotta be at least 3 years ago.

MaxV
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Fili Moala was probably player of the game yesterday.

If he can play like that consistently...

RagingColt
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM

He'd live up to his 2nd round cost . . .

Onto the black hole on Sunday afternoon. Pretty sure the last time we played in Oakland, the Colts got mauled. Raiders have plenty of running backs to carve up the D.

MaxV
12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Collie to IR, Hamlin signed, Saturday is top AFC Pro Bowl Center (Jeez!), Peyton is 3rd among QBs and Freeney is 1st amond AFC DEs.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=85479711-4a0e-439b-af80-deee3e3778ea

MaxV
12-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Peyton Manning with nice wheels! :)

Solid win. Still plenty of things to improve upon.

Dom Rhodes running well and we stopped the run for the 2nd straight week. I hope this is the sign of things to come.

We beat Titans and we are in. Gotta get it done.

RagingColt
12-26-2010, 09:31 PM
D-Line played awesome today vs a much bigger Raiders team. Fili continues to make strides late in the season. Game ball goes to Dom Rhodes who played outstanding behind a much improved line. Final score doesn't say it, but we dominated about 3 quarters of the game. Anytime our Defense only gives up 19 points, we should win.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-26-2010, 09:34 PM

He is consistently showing up lately. Still even though he is playing well polian better draft DT early.

MaxV
12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Good things happen when we stop the run and successfully run the ball. I hope that continues to be the case.

MaxV
01-02-2011, 11:44 AM
HUGE game. I hope we can take it.

And I don't only mean a win. We gotta build on the last 2 weeks. Stopping the run and running the ball.

Otherwise, we won't do much in the playoffs.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Can't stop running around the house like a little kid. Right now this team is eerily similar to 2006. For the most part we seem to be getting healthy and Jerry freakin Hughes made some plays!!! Plays like Collins fumbling at the end are just those "signs" that this team is destined to make some noise.

MaxV
01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
LOL BSD, I hope so.

I've made a new Playoff thread. Please, Please, Please, let's have a more involved discussion. We have a lot of intelligent posters. I want to hear opinions for the upcoming game.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44796

I'll keep this thread open for now to discuss the Titans game.