PDA

View Full Version : You knew it was coming... Vick vs. Kolb

Cicero
09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Who should be the Eagles starter next week?

yourfavestoner
09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.nfltouchdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/michael_vick_eagles.jpg

Complex
09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Mike Vick he should of won this game or at least gone to OT if it wasn't for Andy Reid

Cicero
09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.nfltouchdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/michael_vick_eagles.jpg

Seconded.

Mike Vick he should of won this game or at least gone to OT if it wasn't for Andy Reid

Also agreed.

Gay Ork Wang
09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Michael Vick. even if kolb was better, i wouldnt mess with a concussion

hockey619
09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Michael Vick. even if kolb was better, i wouldnt mess with a concussion

and cause, you know, kolb was horrendous.

though im torn, id almost rather see philly fans suffer with kolb after they took mcnabb for granted.

yourfavestoner
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Good job STL you just wasted 20 seconds and a down.

Go_Eagles77
09-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Kevin Kolb will be the starter if he's healthy.

Addict
09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Kolb because I don't like it when Eagles fans have nice things.

Gay Ork Wang
09-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Good job STL you just wasted 20 seconds and a down.
wrong thread

P-L
09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
The Eagles traded McNabb because they had a ton of confidence in Kevin Kolb. You don't give up on your quarterback after one game. If Kolb continues to struggle and Vick continues to look good with situational playing time, you think about a switch later in the season.

21ST
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Kolb because he sucks

Monomach
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM

though im torn, id almost rather see philly fans suffer with kolb after they took mcnabb for granted.
Oh, you mean he's not the most overrated player of all time? Why, I heard that he singlehandedly kept the Iggles from winning a super bowl for all of these years!

Saints-Tigers
09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
IS this even a controversy? Vick is so clearly better it's hilarious.

A Perfect Score
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Kevin Kolb, because I own him in 2 fantasy leagues and today severely messed up my opening weekend.

Complex
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
i wonder how many people are picking up Mike Vick in fantasy football

Babylon
09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Like P-L said you have to go with McNab's succesor and that is Kolb. Vick was nothing more than Andy taking a chance on a guy because the league (and Tony Dungy) wanted to give someone a second chance. If healthy you go with Kolb. Having said that with that O-line Vick probably gives you the best chance to win.

Draft King
09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Is it true Kolb isn't allowed to play next week because of the concussion? I think even if Vick plays the game of his life next week against the Lions, the next week Reid will go with his guy. I believe the Eagles will end up trading Vick when his value peaks after next weeks play.

mellojello
09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Kevin Kolb, because according to some Eagle fans, he's the next Aaron Rodgers. HA

nepg
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
It'll be tough for them to go back to Kolb because of how well Vick played, but I'm sticking with Kolb. He's getting way too much hate for one half of sub-par football against a really good defense with little protection and poor play calling to start the game.

tjsunstein
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
You don't trade McNabb and bench Kolb after a bad first half. Kolb is the starter if he's healthy.

Addict
09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Is it true Kolb isn't allowed to play next week because of the concussion? I think even if Vick plays the game of his life next week against the Lions, the next week Reid will go with his guy. I believe the Eagles will end up trading Vick when his value peaks after next weeks play.

we have no quarterback, basically we might as well forfeit the game. Hell even if we do win the officials will find some BS rule to call us on and hand you the damn game, so don't worry about playing the Lions.

TACKLE
Ya'll wanna win? Put Vick in. Let him spin.

Babylon
It'll be tough for them to go back to Kolb because of how well Vick played, but I'm sticking with Kolb. He's getting way too much hate for one half of sub-par football against a really good defense with little protection and poor play calling to start the game.

Not just a good defense, one that is picked to go to the Superbowl and your O-line is terrible there in Philly.

ATLDirtyBirds
The man, the myth, the legend... Michael Vick.

tjsunstein
09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Vick for Hall of Fame.

Go_Eagles77
09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Kevin Kolb, because according to some Eagle fans, he's the Aaron Rodgers. HA
Who the hell thinks that? Sure they are in similar situations, but no one expects him to be an All-pro caliber QB.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Ya'll wanna win? Put Vick in.

You misspelled Boobie.

mellojello
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Who the hell thinks that? Sure they are in similar situations, but no one expects him to be an All-pro caliber QB.Thumper did based on scientific analysis.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Thumper did based on scientific analysis.

He's back on the site under his third name now. This should get interesting.

I'd like to go on record as stating that I hated the Kolb pick when it happened, I hated trading Donny Mac away for Kolb, and I still hate Kolb. Thank you.

mellojello
09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
He's back on the site under his third name now. This should get interesting.

I'd like to go on record as stating that I hated the Kolb pick when it happened, I hated trading Donny Mac away for Kolb, and I still hate Kolb. Thank you.Haha, I know you were holding it down for McNasty, I was too.

GB12
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
If Kevin Kolb didn't get hurt this game wouldn't have been nearly as close. We were getting a lot of pressure, but Vick is a freak and was not only able to get out of it, but then take it for a 20 yard gain. Kolb wouldn't have been able to handle it.

However, they can't give up on Kevin Kolb. They have to give him at least one full season.

BigDawg819
09-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Kevin Kolb, because I own him in 2 fantasy leagues and today severely messed up my opening weekend.

I'm in the same boat =(

BeerBaron
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
They won't but, they should, start Vick.

Better to have a mobile QB behind a **** o-line. Kolb is just going to get sacked and probably hurt again.

nepg
09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Well, Kolb looked better than McNabb has so far. So, yeah, not sure where I'm going with that one, but yeah.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, Kolb looked better than McNabb has so far. So, yeah, not sure where I'm going with that one, but yeah.

Um...about that. 5-10, 24 yards isn't good at all.

Smooth Criminal
09-12-2010, 08:23 PM

This. They ran a very good QB out of town. I'm going to enjoy watching Kolb suck.

Werowance
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I think people are overreacting to Kolb's performance, I hated it, he forced it to DeSean (shocker) and he was scared of the blitz. But he only threw the ball 10 times, 3 after he suffered a concussion. I'm not saying Kolb performed well, but lets hold off on burning him at the stake for at least a few more weeks.

Part of me wants to see more of Vick (because he was great) and the other part of me wants Kolb out there against Detroit as a confidence builder. But, I'd be fine with sucking for two seasons straight if it meant the Eagles got Patrick Peterson and Matt Barkley.

A Perfect Score
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I really think its a mistake to run the two QB system like Reid was running today even when Kolb was healthy. We saw Arizona try and run it a few years back with Warner and Leinart switching in and out of the game, and I think its an awful system. It prevents the QB from getting into any sort of rhythm with the offense and it hurts the offense as well, especially when the difference at QB is between a pure pocket passer in Kolb to a dynamic running QB like Vick. It undermines the leadership required from the QB position and overall, I think it hurts alot more then it helps. Running occasional Wildcat or putting Vick in every now and then might not hurt, but subbing Kolb out every 3 plays to do something with Vick is detrimental to his development and the offenses.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Christian Ponder

Go_Eagles77
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I really think its a mistake to run the two QB system like Reid was running today even when Kolb was healthy. We saw Arizona try and run it a few years back with Warner and Leinart switching in and out of the game, and I think its an awful system. It prevents the QB from getting into any sort of rhythm with the offense and it hurts the offense as well, especially when the difference at QB is between a pure pocket passer in Kolb to a dynamic running QB like Vick. It undermines the leadership required from the QB position and overall, I think it hurts alot more then it helps. Running occasional Wildcat or putting Vick in every now and then might not hurt, but subbing Kolb out every 3 plays to do something with Vick is detrimental to his development and the offenses.
That was frustrating the hell out of me. I wanted Kolb to get in a rhythm and they just kept putting Vick back in. Kolb isn't gonna complain about it like Donovan did but he had to be getting frustrated as well.

Edit: Just to clarify my position on Kolb, I was a believer and am rooting for him to turn it around and play well, but if he continues to play like **** I will not be against drafting a replacement very soon. I still don't think McNabb was the answer so I'm not gonna change how I feel about the trade. I am glad we got Nate Allen out of it who got a pick today and looked very solid in both run support and coverage.

Cicero
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Christian Ponder

11-for-28 for 113 yards and two interceptions

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 08:41 PM
That settles it. He sucks

Go_Eagles77
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I'll take the guy in your sig instead. ;)

But seriously he'd be a beast in this offense.

nepg
09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Um...about that. 5-10, 24 yards isn't good at all.

It was better than the 3-7 for 34 that McNabb had at the time of my post.

AHungryWalrus
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Viiiiiiick!

Basileus777
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I've never been a fan of Kolb, and this game just reaffirmed my feeling that he isn't a NFL starter.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
It was better than the 3-7 for 34 that McNabb had at the time of my post.

Well, no, it wasn't. I mean, last time I checked, 34 is more than 24.

nepg
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, no, it wasn't. I mean, last time I checked, 34 is more than 24.

Last I checked, 50% is better than 42.85714285714286%.

Sniper
09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Last I checked, 50% is better than 42.85714285714286%.

Good point. A sample size this small is completely foolproof.

nepg
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Good point. A sample size this small is completely foolproof.

The point I've been trying to illustrate all day.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah so Kolb sucks and it will be evident soon enough. Vick baby Vick.

djp
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
My opinion is that they should start Vick because he's so much fun to watch whether it be the good or the bad.

BeerBaron
09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
My opinion is that they should start Vick because he's so much fun to watch whether it be the good or the bad.

Ah, the non-Bears fan approved Rex Grossman strategy! That always works.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Kolb is terrible. I've been saying it all offseason. I believe that most people formed their opinions of him based on what they read, instead of what they saw.

Why? Bc most people haven't seen Kolb play but still had an opinion on him.

Nothing he's done in the past 4 years has led me to believe he'll be a good qb. He's in his 4th year, and he's making mistakes that rookies make. If he hasn't figured out basics like staring down WRs by now, he never will.

Plus he has a weak arm.

I hope they start Kolb all season, but I'm worried Vick will steal the starting job from him halfway through the year.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
They can start whichever one they want... neither guy is the answer.

They need to take a QB with their 1st pick or failing that, offensive line help.

The next 2 drafts should be pretty good for quarterbacks, so they should have some decent choices... I personally think Ponder would be a nice fit in that offense, but there are certainly other options

BeerBaron
09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I hope they start Kolb all season, but I'm worried Vick will steal the starting job from him halfway through the year.

The ultimate genius Andy Reid admit a mistake and do something sensible on offense?

You sir do not follow Eagles' football closely enough.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
The ultimate genius Andy Reid admit a mistake and do something sensible on offense?

You sir do not follow Eagles' football closely enough.

Reid never wanted to trade McNabb. It was forced on him by management.

I think this will be interesting, bc I know Reid would rather start Vick, but there's no way he can do that unless Kolb completely wets the bed for the next 7 games. Which is very possible, but I'm hoping they allow Kolb an entire season to prove he's not the answer before they move on.

09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
For the sake of Eagles fans everywhere, I hope Vick takes over soon. At least then they'll have someone to boo.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
For the sake of Eagles fans everywhere, I hope Vick takes over soon. At least then they'll have someone to boo.

Honestly, the way Eagles fans have treated McNabb, I think they deserve some Kevin Kolb so they can realize what they've had for the past 10 years.

Basileus777
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM

The injury is the only thing that saved Kolb from a rain of boos today.

wonderbredd24
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Reid never wanted to trade McNabb. It was forced on him by management.

I think this will be interesting, bc I know Reid would rather start Vick, but there's no way he can do that unless Kolb completely wets the bed for the next 7 games. Which is very possible, but I'm hoping they allow Kolb an entire season to prove he's not the answer before they move on.

They weren't gonna win with McNabb either... it made sense to sell him high.

The Eagles interior offensive line is a travesty. McNabb would just get another set of broken ribs, a bum ankle, and God knows what else.

And if Kolb continues to suck as bad as he has, Reid better pull the trigger because he could very well get fired if the Eagles finish 4th in the division.

Basileus777
09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
They weren't gonna win with McNabb either... it made sense to sell him high.

Yep, trading McNabb was still a solid move. They got good compensation for him and the chance to prove Kolb isn't the future.

yourfavestoner
09-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I think the real question here is who will Michael Vick be starting for next year?

Basileus777
09-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I think the real question here is who will Michael Vick be starting for next year?

The Bills desperately need a QB, and Gailey made Thigpen look like a NFL player at times....

yourfavestoner
09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
The Bills desperately need a QB, and Gailey made Thigpen look like a NFL player at times....

OOOOH good call, plus with the TO signing you know Ralph Wilson isn't afraid to make a splash signing to generate any attention he can get in that market.

They'll probably still draft a QB in the first round, but will play Vick until the kid is ready. I like the thought of that.

Imagine if he led Buffalo to the playoffs for the first time in 2343423949 years.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
I dont know how you can say trading McNabb and playing Kolb in any way is worth it unless they somehow parlay the picks they got with the terrible draft pick they'd get out of playing Kolb for Andrew Luck

niel89
09-12-2010, 11:50 PM

This.

Watching today made me miss Vick. He is so entertaining when he plays.

Sportsfan486
09-13-2010, 12:25 AM
This.

Watching today made me miss Vick. He is so entertaining when he plays.

He has a chance to annihilate a defense in any game he plays. No matter how much teams try to prepare, they're ingrained to recognize pass or run and re-act accordingly. But because he starts off as a pass and can easily evade pass rushers that normally stop other QBs from scrambling, he's a force. He's awful throwing the ball but he gets gimmes sometimes when the D gets terrified of him scrambling.

The guy shouldn't be playing in the NFL but hey, paying a convicted criminal six figures+ to play on television in front of millions of kids is the American way. (And it would prevent him from gaining any other respectable job, he'd be a ******* fast food cook. But since he can run he gets to circumvent penalties for being a scumbag.)

Halsey
09-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Andy Reid knows what he's doing with QBs. Armchair coaches calling him out are ignoring the fact that he's been smart enough to bring Vick in, give him a job and work with him. If Reid wants to give Kolb more time, I imagine he has good reason. If he wants Vick to start, I'd trust him on that too.

Ness
09-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Honestly, the way Eagles fans have treated McNabb, I think they deserve some Kevin Kolb so they can realize what they've had for the past 10 years.

Agreed. Philadelphia was stupid for trading McNabb. Just like Houston was dumb for trading Warren Moon. When you have a franchise quarterback, you keep him. I don't care if he never wins a Super Bowl. You keep him. Just so at least every season you have a shot. It's so hard to find a replacement.

wogitalia
09-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Agreed. Philadelphia was stupid for trading McNabb. Just like Houston was dumb for trading Warren Moon. When you have a franchise quarterback, you keep him. I don't care if he never wins a Super Bowl. You keep him. Just so at least every season you have a shot. It's so hard to find a replacement.

I think Kurt Warner with the Cards is the ultimate example of why here. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win the superbowl if things break your way. McNabb gave the Eagles that slim chance, now they don't have it. Agree completely on that, then again you get a team like the Packers have shown the flipside of what can happen with a talented young player.

McBain
09-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Ron Mexico. I hope they stick with Kolb though.

Werowance
09-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Kolb is starting, Andy Reid isn't going to bench the guy he laid his career on the line for because Mike Vick looked very good in 1/2 a game. Sorry fans who want Vick to start it just won't happen unless Kolb is injured, Andy Reid for all his faults as an in game coach is fantastic when it comes to seeing the big picture and starting a QB who is 30 years old and has an expiring contract over the 26 year old he believes will be great (Andy does think that) is not good for the big picture.

Ness
09-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Kevin Kolb should be the starter for now. But he might get killed behind that offensive line.

umphrey
09-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Isn't it obvious that they would play Vick now if they want to win now and go to the playoffs this year and maybe next? He's so much clearly better at moving the chains it's not even comparable. The only reason they wouldn't play Vick is because they want to develop their guy or they don't want to play the dog hater or they don't want to change the offense too much.

Werowance
09-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Isn't it obvious that they would play Vick now if they want to win now and go to the playoffs this year and maybe next? He's so much clearly better at moving the chains it's not even comparable. The only reason they wouldn't play Vick is because they want to develop their guy or they don't want to play the dog hater or they don't want to change the offense too much.

Listen, I'm not rooting for either side here and I think eventually the Eagles will be able to find success with both quarterbacks. But I really don't get this Vick hype, yes, he played great but lets not forget how terribly he was playing in the pre-season when he couldn't hit the broadside of the barn.

I get it, Vick is exciting but please lets be reasonable, Vick is a one year guy and Kolb is the long term guy. The Eagles will always stick with Kolb as long as he is healthy. Vick had a great day, Kolb didn't but please, lets hold off at least a few more weeks before we anoint Vick as the Eagles savior and burn Kolb at the stake.

Nikolas
09-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Well, maybe after this year the Eagles can draft Case Keenum, another U of Houston system QB!

Kolb reminds me of another great UHouston QB, Andre Ware.

Scotty D
09-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Andy Reid is a fool if he doesn't start Vick, plain and simple. What the **** was he doing with the timeouts in the 4th quarter?

mellojello
09-13-2010, 04:20 AM
then again you get a team like the Packers have shown the flipside of what can happen with a talented young player....when his name is Aaron Rodgers.

PackerLegend
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Kevin Kolb blows they Eagles had what 0 passing yards at half and down 20-3... I wish he would have stayed in because Mike Vick almost beat us by himself. I know it was one half in 1 week but clearly the Eagles were 2 different teams.

Splat
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
You don't trade McNabb.

"You don't know what you got till it's gone..."

wonderbredd24
09-13-2010, 09:44 AM
It almost doesn't matter who plays quarterback for Philadelphia as long as they are going to protect them the way they have been.

Vick made some very athletic plays, but he also got drilled a number of times by the Packer pass rush. Kolb got knocked out of the game.

McNabb and his tendency to hold onto the ball the way he does would die behind that line.

And to think that a year ago, so many people wanted to put them as one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league

brat316
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
It almost doesn't matter who plays quarterback for Philadelphia as long as they are going to protect them the way they have been.

Vick made some very athletic plays, but he also got drilled a number of times by the Packer pass rush. Kolb got knocked out of the game.

McNabb and his tendency to hold onto the ball the way he does would die behind that line.

And to think that a year ago, so many people wanted to put them as one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league

Not protection fault. 1) Clay Matthews is a beast. 2) Kolb was bootlegging or scrambling/looking to throw for too long.

Kolb will start because that is Andy's guy. But he is terrible even with those back 2 back 300 yard games in his first NFL start against amazing defenses(for u sniper). How many balls did he try and force to Jackson?

wonderbredd24
09-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Not protection fault. 1) Clay Matthews is a beast. 2) Kolb was bootlegging or scrambling/looking to throw for too long.

Kolb will start because that is Andy's guy. But he is terrible even with those back 2 back 300 yard games in his first NFL start against amazing defenses(for u sniper). How many balls did he try and force to Jackson?

It's not like that was the only hit Kolb took. He's been running for his life all of the preseason and in that game against the Packers.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Kolb will continue to run for his life. Until he can prove that he can adjust the protections, and he won't just stare down his first read and try to force it to him no matter what, every DC in the league is going to blitz him like hell.

I don't care how good your oline is, if 5 are trying to block 7, you're gonna face pressure. If you can't find the right guy and make the right read, you're gonna look bad.

Kolb doesn't have the mustard to sling it downfield in the face of a blitz.

Complex
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
He has a chance to annihilate a defense in any game he plays. No matter how much teams try to prepare, they're ingrained to recognize pass or run and re-act accordingly. But because he starts off as a pass and can easily evade pass rushers that normally stop other QBs from scrambling, he's a force. He's awful throwing the ball but he gets gimmes sometimes when the D gets terrified of him scrambling.

The guy shouldn't be playing in the NFL but hey, paying a convicted criminal six figures+ to play on television in front of millions of kids is the American way. (And it would prevent him from gaining any other respectable job, he'd be a ******* fast food cook. But since he can run he gets to circumvent penalties for being a scumbag.)

He made a couple great throws yesteray,I don't know what game you were watching. Yes he killed some dogs and did his time now is back get over it.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Why did the Eagles give Kolb all that money so fast after 2 starts? Even when we had Romo waiting in the wings for so long, we let him play out the remainder of the season filling in for Bledsoe, and we still let him start the next season to see if he was legit before giving him any money.

What was the point in giving him an extension so fast?

That being said, since you did that(thus never making it a fair or real QB competition in the off-season which Kolb very well could have lost) you have to go with Kolb right now if he is fully recovered. I would give him an extra week, let Vick beat up on Detroit then go with Kolb. Though while I say that if Vick plays even better in week 2, and Kolb sucks in week 3, there is gonna be full blown controversy in Philly for a QB switch.

This just has disaster written all over it. If Philly wants to still look good and stick with Kolb and lose games while Vick is the superior player I won't complain, but whether it was just 1 game or not Kolb looked like trash in that 1st half, staring down WR's and had no composure at all.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Why did the Eagles give Kolb all that money so fast after 2 starts? Even when we had Romo waiting in the wings for so long, we let him play out the remainder of the season filling in for Bledsoe, and we still let him start the next season to see if he was legit before giving him any money.

That being said, since you did that(thus never making it a fair or real QB competition in the off-season which Kolb very well could have lost) you have to go with Kolb right now if he is fully recovered. I would give him an extra week, let Vick beat up on Detroit then go with Kolb. Though while I say that if Vick plays even better in week 2, and Kolb sucks in week 3, there is gonna be full blown controversy in Philly for a QB switch.

This just has disaster written all over it. If Philly wants to still look good and stick with Kolb and lose games while Vick is the superior player I won't complain, but whether it was just 1 game or not Kolb looked like trash in that 1st half, staring down WR's and had no composure at all.

They only extended his deal by one year, it's not like they got themselves into a long term pickle with his contract.

Sniper
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM

The Eagles LOVE extending their players very early in their contracts.

Kolb looked like trash in that 1st half, staring down WR's and had no composure at all.

These are not new developments.

vidae
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
What is the lesson here? Don't give massive contracts or any kind of commitment to someone after they play the Chiefs D!

Sniper
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
What is the lesson here? Don't give massive contracts or any kind of commitment to someone after they play the Chiefs D!

BACK-TO-BACK 300-YARD PASSING GAMES AMIRITE????? JOE MONTANA IN PRACTICES AND SUPERSTUD BECAUSE HE THREW FOR A LOT OF YARDS AGAINST TWO BAD SECONDARIES AMIRITE????????

k, thx.

Shiver
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Should be Vick, will be Kolb.

katnip
09-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike Vick all the way

Diehard
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
The guy who doesn't have a concussion.

mellojello
09-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Kolb looked like trash in that 1st half, staring down WR's...Not new at all. Honestly, I always felt that letting McNasty go was a payroll decision as much as anything else. I just hope that Kolb doesn't stare down Desean down and get him completely blown up - Desean's a small dude and one mistake can have severe consequences.

Saints-Tigers
09-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I miss Thumper.

Hurricanes25
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
It will be Kolb whenever he gets back but it will only be a matter of time before we see Mike Vick.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Not new at all. Honestly, I always felt that letting McNasty go was a payroll decision as much as anything else. I just hope that Kolb doesn't stare down Desean down and get him completely blown up - Desean's a small dude and one mistake can have severe consequences.

Cutting Mcnabb or trading him to Oakland or Cleveland would have been a payroll decision, trading him to a divison rival is a statement that Mcnabb is washed up and that Kolb is a pro bowl caliber QB. I still believe Kolb will be a solid starter, but do I think he'll be the starter in Philly the next 5 years, I don't think so. As far as the question Vick will definitely start this week, but after the keys are back to Kolb until he proves otherwise.

bsaza2358
09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
The Eagles traded McNabb for the reasons stated by ST-RIP. The didn't think he was capable of leading them where they wanted to go, and they decided to move on. Trading him to Washington was a matter of getting the most compensation for a player they didn't want on their roster anymore. It would have made sense to trade him to another squad, but I would wager a large amount that the Skins offered the most compensation.

The Eagles traded McNabb because they felt it was time to hand everything over to Kolb. If you thought that Kolb was the future of the franchise, you have to give him at least 8 games to figure things out before trying Vick out as the starter. I have to give Mike Vick credit because he appeared very prepared for what GB was trying to do. He did a good job of attacking certain weaknesses throughout the second half.

In terms of Kolb vs. Detroit, I trust the NFL's neurologists to do the right thing for the player. If Kolb gets cleared, he should be the starter. If he does not, Vick will be the guy. Regardless of the QB, the Eagles coaches have to attack the same spots. The major difference will be how they attack based on the QB's style. The offense is basically the same, but the playcalls will change based on the QB.

Go_Eagles77
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I've honestly never seen a more scrutinized QB after 2.5 starts than Kolb.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
If the Eagles are dead set on starting Kolb, then maybe they need him to go against the Lions.

Bc the Lions still lack a strong secondary, and if Vick plays them and lights them up, then the controversy is going to be brewing even more.

Maybe you throw Kolb in vs that Lions team, and hope he can take advantage of a weak opponent to build some confidence.

CC.SD
09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I miss Thumper.

Thumper wouldn't have come back anyway. I hate to make sweeping predictions so I won't, but with Kolb unproven and concussed and Vick being Vick there is reason to be seriously concerned.

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Philadelphia Daily News' cover reads 'Vick Era Begins?'

Love it!

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
You have no one to blame for that aside from your own fans. It's the Philadelphia way.

That McNabb guy doesn't sound so bad right around now.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
What would it have hurt to not extend Kolb for a season, and then in the off-season have an actual QB competition and let the best QB win? Who knows, maybe the competition actually helps Kolb. I guess I don't understand why that would have been such a terrible idea, because whether it was just a half or not, Vick really shouldn't have came out and looked so much better then a guy who had been groomed for so long and knows the offense inside and out.

San Diego Chicken
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Vick is probably going to see some more PT regardless. What I want to see is if another game comes down to a two minute drive, who gets the ball? I don't care how much Andy Reid loves Kevin Kolb, he can't be that confident with him during a close game.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
This is my problem with Kolb:

If he made these mistakes as a rookie, or 2nd year player, I can understand. I'd say, ok, he's gonna learn he needs time to understand this game.

But this is his 4th year. He's had 4 years of minicamp, 4 years of training camp, 4 years of preseason, 4 years of spot duty during the regular season, and 4 years to learn behind a fringe HOF qb. And he's STILL making the same mistakes you expect from a rookie.

If he doesn't get it by now, he's not gonna get it. This isn't a rookie we're talking about. It's a 4th year player.

Basileus777
09-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder how much of it is even Andry Reid's decision to make. Management has a vested interest in seeing Kolb succeed.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM
This is my problem with Kolb:

If he made these mistakes as a rookie, or 2nd year player, I can understand. I'd say, ok, he's gonna learn he needs time to understand this game.

But this is his 4th year. He's had 4 years of minicamp, 4 years of training camp, 4 years of preseason, 4 years of spot duty during the regular season, and 4 years to learn behind a fringe HOF qb. And he's STILL making the same mistakes you expect from a rookie.

If he doesn't get it by now, he's not gonna get it. This isn't a rookie we're talking about. It's a 4th year player.

Bingo.

When Rivers and Rodgers replaced Brees and Favre, the transition was pretty seamless. Both faced hiccups, of course, but for the most part played like vets.

Also, I don't understand the Eagles management vs Reid thing. Doesn't Reid have final say on all personnel matters and management just handles scouting and contracts? Wasn't Kolb Reid's hand-picked guy? Wasn't Reid the guy saying things like "Donovan is our starter AS OF NOW" to start the offseason?

Go_Eagles77
09-13-2010, 02:54 PM
You have no one to blame for that aside from your own fans. It's the Philadelphia way.

That McNabb guy doesn't sound so bad right around now.
He didn't exactly wow my socks off yesterday either. Looked like the same McNabb that choked against Dallas 2 straight games at the end of last season, his new defense was just good enough to bail him out.

I'm one of the most rational eagles fans you'd ever meet, and even I could understand the move when it happened and today. We weren't winning a superbowl anytime soon with Donovan, so it was time to move on. At least we got Nate Allen out of the deal who looks very promising. I know you can't compare a franchise QB with a FS, but it's time for a new era whether it be under Kolb or a new guy in one of the coming drafts.

San Diego Chicken
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
He didn't exactly wow my socks off yesterday either. Looked like the same McNabb that choked against Dallas 2 straight games at the end of last season, his new defense was just good enough to bail him out.

I'm one of the most rational eagles fans you'd ever meet, and even I could understand the move when it happened and today. We weren't winning a superbowl anytime soon with Donovan, so it was time to move on. At least we got Nate Allen out of the deal who looks very promising. I know you can't compare a franchise QB with a FS, but it's time for a new era whether it be under Kolb or a new guy in one of the coming drafts.

I keep hearing this and it makes no sense. You weren't winning a Super Bowl with a top 10 QB, so the solution is to downgrade to a worse QB?

If you aren't winning with a good QB already on hand, doesn't that mean the problem is with the rest of the team (or the coach) and not the QB?

Babylon
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM

How about after 2 quarters. If Eagle fans think Mike Vick is the answer (not you) they're going to be dissapointed to the tune of about 5 wins on the season. Maybe Vick gives you the best chance to win with that O-line but it also sets back Kolb. My guess is with a good stable of young receivers management wants more of a pocket passer back there.

To get back to your original point i think with all the feelings for McNabb and i guess for some reason Vick then Kolb was doomed from the start.

GB12
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Bingo.

When Rivers and Rodgers replaced Brees and Favre, the transition was pretty seamless. Both faced hiccups, of course, but for the most part played like vets.

See, you can't compare every QB in this situation to Rodgers and Rivers though. Those two are special quarterbacks, not everyone can do that. Yeah he's not a rookie, but it's still his first year starting. He should be better than he was, but it's crazy to expect a transition like Green Bay or San Diego had.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Bingo.

Also, I don't understand the Eagles management vs Reid thing. Doesn't Reid have final say on all personnel matters and management just handles scouting and contracts? Wasn't Kolb Reid's hand-picked guy? Wasn't Reid the guy saying things like "Donovan is our starter AS OF NOW" to start the offseason?

Reid did hand select Kolb, but I think somewhere between then and this past offseason, he realized he made a mistake. He did not want to let go of McNabb, that was a decision forced on him by Joe Banner.

Of course publicly, you hear it was Reid and blah blah blah, bc obviously they don't want to make it sound controversial.

And to get back to Kolb, think of this: I saw Bradford look off defenders more in his first start in the NFL than Kolb did yesterday. Think about that.

Bradford is zomg spread qbzzz and all the hoopla that came with that, and he looks off defenders better than Kolb.

mellojello
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
We weren't winning a superbowl anytime soon with Donovan, so it was time to move on.I don't think were as far away from a SB as you think. You're much further away now. You don't divorce a good wife for the once-a-year mistress.

Go_Eagles77
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I keep hearing this and it makes no sense. You weren't winning a Super Bowl with a top 10 QB, so the solution is to downgrade to a worse QB?

McNabb is NOT a top 10 QB anymore and on top of that is a known choker in big games. Hell a year ago 95% of this forum was saying the same thing and he gets traded and now he's getting way over-rated.

See, you can't compare every QB in this situation to Rodgers and Rivers though. Those two are special quarterbacks, not everyone can do that. Yeah he's not a rookie, but it's still his first year starting. He should be better than he was, but it's crazy to expect a transition like Green Bay or San Diego had.

Exactly. People laugh at eagles fans for even mentioning Aaron Rodgers' and Kevin Kolb's name in the same sentence then use Rodgers as a standard for measuring Kolb? Doesn't make sense.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Rodgers and Rivers made the transition bc they're good quarterbacks.

I think sometimes we overemphasize the importance of sitting qbs and letting them learn slowly. Not all qbs who sit are going to pan out. Maybe Kolb is one that just doesn't have it?

I get the feeling that the general consensus nowadays is we just automatically assume that if a qb has years to sit and learn, he's going to be a good qb. And that is not always the case. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

Kolb just doesn't have it.

GB12
09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Rodgers and Rivers made the transition bc they're good quarterbacks. Right but not just good quarterbacks, extremely good quarterbacks. That's why they were able to be successful right away. I think after sitting you can struggle a bit and still end up a good QB. A bad first few games doesn't mean everything. I don't like Kolb much at all, I just don't think it makes sense to compare every QB in this situation to Rivers and Rodgers.

I think sometimes we overemphasize the importance of sitting qbs and letting them learn slowly. Not all qbs who sit are going to pan out. Maybe Kolb is one that just doesn't have it?
Exactly. Not all are going to work out and the ones that do aren't all going to match the success of those two. Lower the standards a bit.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't think were as far away from a SB as you think. You're much further away now. You don't divorce a good wife for the once-a-year mistress.

Kinda strange comparison, lol. And I agree Mcnabb is not the most clutch QB out there but he's good enough to win a super bowl if he has a good enough team. Philly's inability to gain a yard when needed or have a reliable red zone target is as much to blame as anything else. Also everyone blames Mcnabb for last years playoff loss and while he did play poorly he has nothing to do with Felix Jones running wild and Romo getting whatever he wanted. Also he has nothing to do with the lack of balance in play calling. I'm not just saying this because he's a skin but if Mcnabb was still an Eagle I'd take them to win the division this year. I think Mcnabb has 3-5 more years as an upper half level QB, it's a shame he won't ever have the tools to be great in D.C., but he' still a very good QB.

Go_Eagles77
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM

I get the feeling that the general consensus nowadays is we just automatically assume that if a qb has years to sit and learn, he's going to be a good qb. And that is not always the case. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

Some guys just need actual game experience to learn how to properly run an NFL offense. Like you mentioned he played in preseason games (primarily against backups) and spot duty here and there but is that really enough to have all the in and outs of playing QB down? I feel like he can still improve his decision making (his main weakness right now) with some more experience.

mellojello
09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Rodgers and Rivers made the transition bc they're good quarterbacks.Haha, I love how simple your posts are and this is a good example.

Sniper
09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I miss Thumper.

Well, he's back, so there's that. Different alias, but I'm about 90 percent sure that it's him.

09-13-2010, 03:30 PM

I agree with this 100%. In fact, sometimes I think it's better to just send a guy out there and see what you've got. It's fairly easy to tell if he has what it takes. Obviously there's a chance you could get him hurt(possibly the case with Stafford, but let's hope not. Dude's a baller) and you won't win many games but I'd rather find out if my guy is the guy before he's right at the end of his rookie deal. Obviously with Kolb, Rodgers and to an extent Rivers, that wasn't an option with a firmly entrenched PB-caliber(even HOF) caliber guy in front of them. But IMO if the option is veteran hasbeen/neverwas or 1st round QB, I'd start my first round QB to see what I've got(See: Collins vs. VY, Plummer vs. Cutler). Like you said, if you don't have it, you don't have it.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Start Vick the rest of the season and the Eagles are lock for the playoffs.
I was stunned to see he'd regained so much of his speed and quickness at age 30.

brat316
09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
So the Eagles gonna draft who next year?

Babylon
09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Start Vick the rest of the season and the Eagles are lock for the playoffs.
I was stunned to see he'd regained so much of his speed and quickness at age 30.

You really think they'll make the playoffs with that offensive line? I seriously doubt they would have made it with McNabb.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM
You really think they'll make the playoffs with that offensive line? I seriously doubt they would have made it with McNabb.

To be fair, offensive line is probably the #1 concern of all four teams in the East.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM

I think so, when you have a guy as mobile as him it really makes the offensive line play seem alot better. Notice how all of a sudden those draws with McCoy were working so much better, and Vick was still able to run for over 100 yards with a trash O-line.

I too was surprised with how fast and explosive he still was at this age, with so much time away from football. I saw shades of the Minnesota playoff game out there Sunday.

Babylon
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
To be fair, offensive line is probably the #1 concern of all four teams in the East.

So you put the team on his back and he starts taking a lot more hits and other teams start to gameplan for him the prior monday and not at halftime of a game. More power to the guy if he can do it but i think that team has more issues than QB, but i've been wrong before.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Vick should get the start with Kolb's condition. Hopefully if he plays well and we win he'll get the start in week 3 but I doubt that happens given what we have invested in Kolb. *sigh* Oh well I don't think it'll be long before Kolb plays himself out of the job and Vick steps in. Reid won't want to risk his job so I would expect Vick to be in there no later then week 7.

Saints-Tigers
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I think so, when you have a guy as mobile as him it really makes the offensive line play seem alot better. Notice how all of a sudden those draws with McCoy were working so much better, and Vick was still able to run for over 100 yards with a trash O-line.

I too was surprised with how fast and explosive he still was at this age, with so much time away from football. I saw shades of the Minnesota playoff game out there Sunday.

2 years off might have done him some good to be honest. Two years with his work ethic and attitude, and he'd just be beat up and regressing.

Two years off gave his body plenty of rest, and he matured as a man. Might have been a blessing in disguise for his game.

Sniper
09-13-2010, 05:27 PM
So the Eagles gonna draft who next year?

http://secsportshub.com/images/stories/ryan-mallett.jpg

Complex
09-13-2010, 06:52 PM

You must of not watched Vick with the Falcons, their O-line was worst than the eagles. If Vick starts Eagles are going to the playoffs.

Shane P. Hallam
09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Where is my Kafka option?

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
It looks like this situation is just gonna get uglier.

Kolb failed his initial concussion text, and most are projecting him to miss the game. If Vick lights up Detroit(which shouldn't be that hard) this is gonna turn into a pretty big deal by week 3.

Babylon
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
You must of not watched Vick with the Falcons, their O-line was worst than the eagles. If Vick starts Eagles are going to the playoffs.

Will that be as a division winner or as a wildcard, just want to know what to look for.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Will that be as a division winner or as a wildcard, just want to know what to look for.

Anything is possible, they are all just predictions at this point as you, or anyone else in this threads knows. It's still gonna end up being null and void because no matter how many games Vick starts, it won't end up being the remainder of the season, so if Kolb comes back week 3-10 and does terrible before Vick takes over, you can't put missing the playoffs on Vick.

I really think they could be a wildcard team with him from here on out though, it's not like anyone in the NFC East just looks like a SB team at this point anyway.

Babylon
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Anything is possible, they are all just predictions at this point as you, or anyone else in this threads knows. It's still gonna end up being null and void because no matter how many games Vick starts, it won't end up being the remainder of the season, so if Kolb comes back week 3-10 and does terrible before Vick takes over, you can't put missing the playoffs on Vick.

I really think they could be a wildcard team with him from here on out though, it's not like anyone in the NFC East just looks like a SB team at this point anyway.

Anything is possible, I'd actually rather see them play Vick then when they dont make the playoffs we wont hear the cry about how Mike Vick would have took them to the playoffs.

I dont see them winning the division with or without Mike Vick and as for a wildcard i would think the norris division with Minnesota, Chicago and Green Bay probably have the inside track on that. We'll see.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Anything is possible, I'd actually rather see them play Vick then when they dont make the playoffs we wont hear the cry about how Mike Vick would have took them to the playoffs.

If the offense looks like **** with Kolb out there for multiple weeks you act like that wouldn't be justified. Unless your under the impression that the entire Eagles team(offense, defense, & running game) didn't improve when Vick entered the game.

wogitalia
09-14-2010, 01:03 AM

They also had better situations, both had strong OL(Rogers in his first year at least), good WRs and TEs and that helps a lot. So far Kolb has had poor OL play and not much else with very young WRs.

Not defending him or anything, he looked woeful out there, but things aren't exactly stacked in his favour either.

GB12
09-14-2010, 01:17 AM
They also had better situations, both had strong OL(Rogers in his first year at least), good WRs and TEs and that helps a lot. So far Kolb has had poor OL play and not much else with very young WRs.

Not defending him or anything, he looked woeful out there, but things aren't exactly stacked in his favour either.
Wrong. It was still very bad, just not as ridiculously terrible as last year.

And you can't possibly say Kolb doesn't have weapons.

Desean Jackson 1156 9 TD
Brent Celek 971 8 TD
Jeremy Maclin 773 4 TD
Jason Avant 587 3 TD

They're top 10 or just outside that when it comes to WR/TE, plus he has Lesean McCoy out of the backfield.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong.

RaiderNation
09-14-2010, 01:23 AM
VickzZZZzzZzz

Babylon
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
If the offense looks like **** with Kolb out there for multiple weeks you act like that wouldn't be justified. Unless your under the impression that the entire Eagles team(offense, defense, & running game) didn't improve when Vick entered the game.

I just think that longterm Vick isnt the answer there, by starting him you have pretty much put an end to the whole Kevin Kolb plan for the future.

As for the team playing better sure they did but they didnt last year when he came in and they didnt in the preseason when he was in there. Let teams gameplan for Vick starting the monday before the game and let's see what happens.

yourfavestoner
09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I just think that longterm Vick isnt the answer there, by starting him you have pretty much put an end to the whole Kevin Kolb plan for the future.

As for the team playing better sure they did but they didnt last year when he came in and they didnt in the preseason when he was in there. Let teams gameplan for Vick starting the monday before the game and let's see what happens.

That's what I'm interested to see.

Usually, it's not hard at all for the backup to come in an light a defense up, (hell, that's how Kevin Kolb essentially got the job in Philly) because the defense has no film on the guy and basically has to scrap their gameplan. Once defenses have a week or two of film on them, they come plummeting back to earth.

I can tell you this, Jim Schwartz is incredibly pissed that he went from having to gameplan for Kolb to gameplanning for Vick.

tjsunstein
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
"Vick's an exceptional athlete," Matthews said. "He was moving around out there, making plays. I've been saying, the real story is, who's going to start for Philly next week?"

Matthews concussed Kolb.

mellojello
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, Vick's getting the start, makes all too much sense. I may jump back on the bandwaggon.

mellojello
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
If you're a Philly fan, you've got to be pretty happy. You basically have two young QB's with a lot of upside, where a lot of teams struggle to find one.

If it were my decision, I'd keep Vick and trade Kolb. Vick's athleticism and upside is through the roof. I think he'll be scarry good in Philly.

yourfavestoner
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Can a mod please change my All-NFLDC tag to #1 Vicscuser please?

EvilMonkey
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
If you're a Philly fan, you've got to be pretty happy. You basically have two young QB's with a lot of upside, where a lot of teams struggle to find one.

If it were my decision, I'd keep Vick and trade Kolb. Vick's athleticism and upside is through the roof. I think he'll be scarry good in Philly.

Vick isn't exactly young

09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
IZr89H66hSY