PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's impressions:

bucfan12
09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
- No matter the situation, New England will always compete as long as they have Brady behind center and Belechik on the sidelines. They looked dynamite.

- Cincy's problems won't be at WR or Defense this year, it will be at QB. Carson is not the QB he used to be.

- Jason Campbell has a worse o-line than he did last year in Washington. Kinda feel for the kid.

- Alex Barron did make a bone-headed play, but still that is not all that cost Dallas the game (Turnover that led to Washington's only TD with no time at the end of the half)? Missed FG, not being able to convert?

- Matthew Stafford is injury prone and the Lions still have not solved their o-line Problems.

- Speaking of the Lions, as many fans can complain, but rules are rules. That was the right call to rule it incomplete.

- Houston is for real and ready to make that next step.

- Bob Sanders should just retire. He can't stay healthy.

- Either two things are going to happen for Chris Johnson:
1) he is going to be a nightmare all season and easily break the single season rushing record
2)27 carries? He might ware down. Not a back that can take that much punishment.

- Chad Henne is overrated. Was blown up in pre-season, but didnt do anything impressive in the pre-season nor the today.

- It seems to me that Matt Ryan hasn't taken that next step. Looked awful in pre-season and didn't move the offense against an old steelers defense. Also, word of advice, don't stare down your WR when Polamalu is in a 10-15 yd radius. You should know he's a ball hawk.

- Eli Manning is overrated! 3 int's against one of the youngest and most inexperienced team in the league? I thought this guy was supposed to be an "elite " QB?

- Seattle was the most shocking team. Are they that good or was it the fact that new coach, home game, and just that fired up that they caught the consensus favorite to win the West sleeping on them? We'll find out.

- Speaking of the West, it seems to me that even the Rams can win this division.

- Eagles have a QB controversy. I never liked the decision to go with Kolb and think Vick will open up the running game for this offense.

- Josh McDaniels ruined that Denver Broncos team. He went from Jay Cutler, Tony SChefler, Brandon Marshall to Kyle Orton, Jabar Gaffney, and ...? Sure Demaryous Thomas might be special, but remember, this isn;t New England Josh. You don't have Tom Brady!

- Randy Moss needs to shut his mouth.

- Jake Delhome's fantastic pre-season was a fluke.

- Despite a few bad throws, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense can move the ball down the field with ease.

- Fitzgerald was targeted 15 times, only caught 3 balls. Derek Anderson, you ARE THAT BAD?

- Sam Bradford showed signs and I think he's gonna be a good one. But Rams coaching staff, was it necessary for him to attempt 55 passes? he's a rookie, and you have Steven Jackson, plus you were leading most of the game. Come on now.

- Alex Smith is a BUST! (bet those 49ers are regretting on passing up Rodgers back in 2005).

fenikz
09-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Rams couldn't beat an AZ team that fumbled 7 times, they have no shot at winning the division

and yes DA is that bad

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Way to check a boxscore and make an assumption. All 3 int's that Eli threw were good passes that the Wr's deflected since they couldn't catch for LKJASDHLKJHDKJLHDLKHLKASLKJHFJKLHKLSHKLDHKJKASDKLW WHDL. Eli was money all day.

Sportsfan486
09-13-2010, 12:31 AM
This is one of the sloppiest opening days I've seen; I wonder why that is? Ds have been completely worn out at the end of a number of games, tons of injuries, Brady was the only really good QB to play well, and a lot of teams failed to live up to expectations (Vikings, Saints, Colts, Bengals, 49ers, Falcons, Dallas, Green Bay.) Interesting to see if the Monday night teams, all of whom (save the Chiefs) have very high expectations for this year.

Three teams that are used to playing from ahead in their respective divisions are suddenly playing from holes and looked awful (Vikings, Colts, Dallas to be exact.)

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Way to check a boxscore and make an assumption. All 3 int's that Eli threw were good passes that the Wr's deflected since they couldn't catch for sh*t. Eli was money all day.

Truth. I watched every play of that game and was incredibly impressed with Eli.

All three of his picks literally bounced off his receivers hands into the air for easy picks. All three throws were right on the money.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2010, 12:50 AM
This is one of the sloppiest opening days I've seen; I wonder why that is? Ds have been completely worn out at the end of a number of games, tons of injuries, Brady was the only really good QB to play well, and a lot of teams failed to live up to expectations (Vikings, Saints, Colts, Bengals, 49ers, Falcons, Dallas, Green Bay.) Interesting to see if the Monday night teams, all of whom (save the Chiefs) have very high expectations for this year.

Three teams that are used to playing from ahead in their respective divisions are suddenly playing from holes and looked awful (Vikings, Colts, Dallas to be exact.)

Opening day is usually pretty sloppy. But I think it's a sign to the cupcake training camps teams run nowadays.

CashmoneyDrew
09-13-2010, 12:54 AM
I would agree about CJ waring down, but one thing he does have going for him is he doesn't take big hits.

wogitalia
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
I would agree about CJ waring down, but one thing he does have going for him is he doesn't take big hits.

Hasn't taken big hits, it only takes one though.

I love him though, I think that Vince takes away a lot of pressure on him as teams have to account for his legs as well which creates that bit of space to help him minimise contact and break big gainers.

Also, is it me or has Randy clearly lost a step or 3, that sideline catch was a TD as little as a year ago I reckon.

Timbathia
09-13-2010, 01:30 AM
-
- Josh McDaniels ruined that Denver Broncos team. He went from Jay Cutler, Tony SChefler, Brandon Marshall to Kyle Orton, Jabar Gaffney, and ...? Sure Demaryous Thomas might be special, but remember, this isn;t New England Josh. You don't have Tom Brady!

What are you talking about? We went from an 8-8 team pre McDaniels to a 8-8 team since. McDaniels has ruined the fantasy impact of the Denver Broncos, but the team is just as good as they used to be.

Missing Cutler and Marshall is far from the problem. Orton, Gaffney, Lloyd and Royal played great today (and why do people talk about Scheff as if he is an elite TE????). Any offensive woes were totally on the o-line today, as well as Buck's fumble in the red zone and an innate ability for our special teams to make sure we have the worst possible starting field position. Clady coming off injury, new LG, rookie C, and rookie RT. There was only one fully healthy lineman from last year.

descendency
09-13-2010, 01:41 AM
At least the new Broncos play defense.

Nikolas
09-13-2010, 03:17 AM
A few things I noticed today:

1) Peyton Manning is the scariest QB in the league, period. Houston destroyed Indy's O-line, and Peyton still had a monster day, stat-wise. I am a die-hard Texans fan, but I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. He came to play, and the rest of his team didn't, and you could see the frustration in his eyes.

2) Vince Young looks to have finally grown into a top-notch QB. Granted, he was up against the Raiders, but his QB rating was through the roof today. If he keeps this up, he'll have a monster year.

3) I hate that my team is in the AFC South.

4) Dallas will not go to the Superbowl. They'll be lucky to make it to the post-season.

umphrey
09-13-2010, 03:47 AM

CJ2K is a baller. Anything short of an ACL tear and he'll be out there running 100% for another 2k yards.

Addict
09-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Stafford isn't injury prone. It seems to me like he doesn't know how to take a fall sometimes. This is most likely a shoulder bruise, that's got nothing to do with being injury prone, that's just taking the hit the wrong way. Hell in this case I think it's somewhat understandable because Peppers came in like a freight train.

Also: no mention of the grand theft commited on Calvin's TD catch?

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Stafford isn't injury prone. It seems to me like he doesn't know how to take a fall sometimes. This is most likely a shoulder bruise, that's got nothing to do with being injury prone, that's just taking the hit the wrong way. Hell in this case I think it's somewhat understandable because Peppers came in like a freight train.

Also: no mention of the grand theft commited on Calvin's TD catch?
- Speaking of the Lions, as many fans can complain, but rules are rules. That was the right call to rule it incomplete.

He did talk aobut it

Addict
09-13-2010, 05:31 AM
He did talk aobut it

oh I must have overlooked.

**** this guy.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 05:32 AM
i mean he is right...

VAfy-ya
09-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Mark my words, Alex Smith will have a good year. It's been said all along by alot of Niners fans that our first game was a trap game. Didn't surprise me that we lost, just how bad we lost. Both his ints were the result of Mr. I Don't Need Pre-Season(Crabtree) just not being focused and ready to play. Bad coaching, bad play-calling, and bad O-Line play will doom any QB. Smith will be find if our OC gets his head out his ass and gets some creativity. The whole offense was bad, Smith was probably the only bright spot.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett are overrated.
Skins are weak up the middle of their D, even more since Haslett/Shanny aren't ready to start Haynesworth(!!?), and if Dallas had run the ball 25 straight times up the gut to end the game, they would have won easy.

The Texans IMO are gonna do something big this year. The SB champ IMO will come out of the AFC, with NE, the Chargers, B'more and the Texans going down the wire.

Whisenhunt is an IDIOT. I don't see the Cards winning 6 games this season.
Didn't see the 49ers game, but what the hell happened?? That team is stocked talent-wise with some of the best young players in the league. I though they could overcome even a subpar Alex Smith.

Um, Oakland, your Oline isn't the problem. Jason Campbell is not the answer. When the pass rush is coming in hot, a QB has to get rid of the ball faster and know where he's going with the ball pre-snap. That's not JC's game. He'll be on the bench for the Raiders by week 9.

DOnovan McNabb needs a WR other than Santana Moss to make plays.

nepg
09-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I think there's been a ton of overreacting with the QBs (Smith, Kolb, Palmer, Moore, Eli). It's week one, and things weren't THAT bad.

I'm really surprised by people talking about Palmer. I thought he looked great. The Bengals had trouble figuring out the Pats defense in the first half, but once they just let Devin McCourty (zomg faps!) have half the field, and started abusing Butler and Sanders, they started doing some things. Granted, the Pats' offense was able to respond to every Bengals drive, but Carson and that offense looked good.

Splat
09-13-2010, 08:21 AM
I think there's been a ton of overreacting with the QBs (Smith, Kolb, Palmer, Moore, Eli). It's week one, and things weren't THAT bad.

I disagree here.

I really think he is that bad, he can thank the Chiefs bad D last year for making him look good.

HawkEye30
09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Mark my words, Alex Smith will have a good year. It's been said all along by alot of Niners fans that our first game was a trap game. Didn't surprise me that we lost, just how bad we lost. Both his ints were the result of Mr. I Don't Need Pre-Season(Crabtree) just not being focused and ready to play. Bad coaching, bad play-calling, and bad O-Line play will doom any QB. Smith will be find if our OC gets his head out his ass and gets some creativity. The whole offense was bad, Smith was probably the only bright spot.

Is this the excuse as to why you lost so bad? Look Seattle is a more complete team, the 49ers are a more talented team but you guys just cant seem to put it together. Alex Smith was pathetic on the missed throw for an easy touchdown to Norris, I honestly dont know how you dont make that throw. Plus Smith did a good job stat wise in the 1st half but in the second he was atrocious. And i think you can point to the fact that we shut Gore down to another reason we won this game. Also i would like to thank Mike Singletary for going for it on all those 4th downs hahah

Halsey
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
It's funny that people get so caught up in ints that they don't notice that Eli also threw 3 TDs. I believe some fans may actually think that an int costs a team points automatically.

stephenson86
09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I still am not that high on the Texans, they will have to prove themselves a bit more before I believe they will be in the thick of the AFC championship run.

Giantsfan1080
09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Kolb didn't look good at all but the somewhat overlooked thing is how bad the Eagles O-Line looks so far. Now they lost Jackson for the year so it may get even worse. If they can't give time to Kolb, Vick is going to need to be in to at least create some room to throw the football.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 09:01 AM
-

- Cincy's problems won't be at WR or Defense this year, it will be at QB. Carson is not the QB he used to be.

- Bob Sanders should just retire. He can't stay healthy.

- Fitzgerald was targeted 15 times, only caught 3 balls. Derek Anderson, you ARE THAT BAD?

About point number One. The problem will be defense. Palmer completed 68% of his passed for 345 yards. I thought he played very well. No matter who you are, if you defense gives up 38 points and your running back averages less than 3 ypc, you aren't going to win.

You are dead on with Bob Sanders. He is a great player when he is on the field, but he never is. He has enough money, he should just retire now so he doesn't risk being so beat up he can't enjoy his retirement.

Yes, Derek Anderson is that bad. Sure, Matt Leinart may not be flashy, but he is the better quarterback. In any other conference, Arizona is a 4-5 win team. In the NFC West, they may get 7.

Halsey
09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
If I was Reid I'd just go to Kolb right now and say "Vick is getting the start next week. Deal with it and be prepared to go in at any moment."

bucfan12
09-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Um, Oakland, your Oline isn't the problem. Jason Campbell is not the answer. When the pass rush is coming in hot, a QB has to get rid of the ball faster and know where he's going with the ball pre-snap. That's not JC's game. He'll be on the bench for the Raiders by week 9.

How can you get rid of the ball when your hit before you finish your 5 step drop? Campbell had NO TIME to get off throws.

nepg
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
See, I don't think Cincy's defense played that bad either. The Pats just had it going on all game long.

Jvig43
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
See, I don't think Cincy's defense played that bad either. The Pats just had it going on all game long.

I think well see how true this is with the first eight games of the season. We have a tough schedule. But coming out of yesterday theres alot us Pats fans should be happy about, lets see how the mighty Jets look tonight.

Saints-Tigers
09-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Did anyone even watch the Giants? all 3 of Eli's picks were on tipped balls right in a guys hands if I remember correctly.

Rosebud
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Did anyone even watch the Giants? all 3 of Eli's picks were on tipped balls right in a guys hands if I remember correctly.

Yeah, here's a clip if anyone feels like not talking out there ass about how over-rated and INT prone Eli is:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a773fe/WK-1-Eli-Manning-highlights

Bengals78
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Then you can't see. We had LB trying to cover Welker, Dhani couldn't cover a text book, we could have stopped a lot of 3rd down conversions if we could tackle but we couldn't.

Defense put us in bad positions all game and our OLine played like ****.
Carson and the weapons were the only good spots for the game.

If our Line could block worth a damn, Carson could actually have some time to throw the ball.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Did you watch the game? All 3 of Eli's picks went right off of his WRs hands and deflected into a defenders hands.

And don't shortchange that defense either, Carolina's defense is better than people think.

scottyboy
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
yea, i'll just add on OP fail when talking of Eli's 3 INT's. if all of those are caught(like the SHOULD have been) he's 23-30 with 3 TD's.
ignorance is the worst.

Basileus777
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

When your receiver is 6'6, and you manage to throw the ball high enough that he just gets his fingers on it, it's not on the receiver.

Rosebud
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
When your receiver is 6'6, and you manage to throw the ball high enough that he just gets his fingers on it, it's not on the receiver.

Only one of those picks came off of Barden's hands, other two were off of Mario and Nicks' hands, neither of which is particularly tall, and that one wasn't that over thrown, just that it took a bad bounce off of Barden's hands. But even if that one throw was so horribly overthrown that Barden just got his finger tips to it, one throw out of 31 well delivered balls isn't any thing short of exceptional.