PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Write up

BlindSite
09-13-2010, 03:50 AM
As always monday night's thoughts will be posted after the games in an addendum.

Slightly different format to previous years, really only because I can't remember how I used to do it and can't bother to look it up.

Week one and 17 are pretty much the same, you can't take much from it, all it shows is a glimpse of what we might see later on down the road, so take this analysis with as much salt as you would a final week performance or even the pre-season, first week helps set a tone for a team, but doesn't make a year.

Seattle v SF

For the longest time I've been a big defender of Alex Smith, I thought he was mishandled from the first day and all he needed was some stability both in the coaches above him and the players around him. I'm starting to come round to the fact that he just might be terrible.

Don't get me wrong, not having your primary receivers in training camp with you isn't going to do much for improving chemistry and the Seattle defense did play relatively well, but Alex Smith was out of sync with everyone else on the field and at times looked down right lost. Forget the crap about his hand size and to an extent forget his past. This is his year, and if he can't put it together in the next three weeks or so I think that's it for his career as a starting quarterback.

Colour me surprised at the performance of a Pete Carroll NFL team. I didn't like the hiring and didn't like him as a coach but he put together a very solid game plan against what was supposed to be a 49ers team taking the next step and it appears he has the team buying into his philosophy which was a big issue in his past. The question here becomes can he keep it up and can the team remain cohesive and cooperative through some adversity.

Young QBs
It was a pretty terrible day for the future (or would be future) signal callers; Matt Ryan looked flat and failed to lead his team to a victory over what was a very good Steelers defense, Matt Moore threw three picks in the redzone in a very winnable game against the Giants, Bradford was somewhat inconsistent in his first start, Stafford went down after what was looking to be a strong performance, Kolb retired after looking very poor indeed and neither Henne nor Trent Edwards looked like future starters either.

Passing league we may be heading for, but it looks like defensive backs are reaping the benefits.

Philly and Carolina had the same issue today
It was difficult to predict how well Kolb would go against what can be a dangerous green bay defense and his early jitters were no surprise, what was however was the distinct lack of help from Andy Reid's play calling. Fair enough when given the opporunity players have to step up, but 6 designed run plays in the first half when you know a defense is going to blitz is not what you call a wise decision.

Once Vick came in the defense were forced to be more honest after he gashed them on broken plays with his feet but Reid again muddled his clock management.

Conversely in Carolina there was a tale of two teams, the first half showed intelligent mix of run and pass plays, the Giants weren't able to simply rush after Moore or stack the box and the Panthers lead at half time after an a great throw and catch to Smith.

The 2nd half once behind, Fox all but abandoned the run game. He called pass plays one after the other and most of them called for intermediate to deep routes, no screens or dump offs and Moore, like many QBs facing the Giants simply couldn't handle the pressure. The stupidity was compounded by the calling for 3 straight pass plays in the redzone from the 5 yard line the final of which resulted in an INT.

Houston
Looks like after them being perennially picked to make the leap to the playoffs it might finally be time. It took a monumental effort from Arian Foster to overcome the Colts and Peyton still made sure it was a real fight right to the end and yes as I said it's only the first week. But this game will mean more to the team as far as confidence and chemistry than it will in the record. Finally getting the monkey off their back after such a long time of coming so close (rosencopter incident) and faltering will do wonders for the team's mindset.

New England
Was it ever really in question whether new england would be competitive? Their offseason rundown usually comprised of Moss being disgruntled, Welker being hurt, their Running Backs being nobodies, and their secondary being just plain not up to scratch. Turns out it was all for naught as Brady, Welker, Moss and the Pats defense were up to task against the Bengals.

I don't think it matters who pulls on a jersey as long as Belichick draws breath and is on that sideline the Patriots will be competitive and after the way the rest of the AFC East looked today they'll be right in the mix.

Pathetic Player of the week
Alex Barron: to give you an idea of how bad he is, the Rams traded him for Bobby Carpenter a player they then cut before the end of the pre-season. He's the most penalised player in the NFL over the last two years, 2nd place is former Cowboys tackle, Flozell Adams.

Jerry Jones can draft, trade for and buy as many running backs, wide receivers, quarterbacks, cornerbacks, safeties and pass rushers as he likes but until he builds an offensive line he'll never get that ring he covets.

For those who haven't seen the pathetic excuse for a game that occured between Washington and Dallas Romo threw a perfect pass to Roy Williams to win the game in the closing moments of the the divisional clash, only to have it called back for Alex Barron who decided to try and bear hug rather than block on the final play. Genius.

Quick hits
The NFL teams seem to be taking the offseason media attention to head injuries very seriously. Moore was pulled after feeling groggy from an Osi Umenyiora sack (which is why Clausen came in).

Bradley and Kolb both retired from the game against GB at half time. Foolishly the Philly coaching staff allowed Bradley back on to the field just two plays after he wandered around looking like a drunk after colliding with Ernie Sims.

After the horror stories shown I've read from guys like Merril Hodge, and Dan Morgan I'm glad this is getting more emphasis.

Bradford deserves more praise than he'll get for his performance today, sure he was a little up and down, but he's throwing to guys who wouldn't be starting for just about anyone else in the NFL, without the best offensive line and he was facing a very good pass rushing defense.

The ruling that disallowed a touchdown from Calvin Johnson needs to be clarified for officials, players and fans. I didn't necessarily agree with the call, but he didn't exactly complete that catch perfectly either.

Still for all the foibles, poor play, bad prospects and boring moments I did realise something today and that's that the only thing worse than slightly boring NFL is no NFL. I don't care what it takes, they need to fix the issues they're having with the CBA the offseason is long enough without there being a strike.

Place holder for the MNF double header

Addict
09-13-2010, 05:05 AM
didn't exactly complete the catch? What the **** else does he have do to? He got two feet and a knee down! I've seen people fumble the ball inches after breaking the plain and it counted, but this somehow isn't a catch?

This isn't following the rules, this is raping the game of football for a goddamn profit margin!

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 05:26 AM
by rule it was called exactly right.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16142/like-it-or-not-megatron-call-was-right

Addict
09-13-2010, 05:34 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16142/like-it-or-not-megatron-call-was-right

I can't believe you're actually defending this. Nothing anyone ever says about it will remove that W from the records, but you can't seriously be arguiing that that call looked and felt right to you.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 05:35 AM
it is right according to the rule. if the rule is appropriate is another discussion, but according to the rule, i felt it was right.

steelersfan43
09-13-2010, 05:43 AM
it is right according to the rule. if the rule is appropriate is another discussion, but according to the rule, i felt it was right.

Why is it for another discussion? Thats a dumb thing to say, were all here to discuss things so lets discuss.

I dont care what the rule says he had the ball controlled in 2 hands then he was palming it with one and set it down to get up and celebrate.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 05:48 AM
no, because people are saying the Refs ****** up. they didnt. blame the rulebook, the refs made the right call, and according to the rules it was not a catch. if it shouldve been, is something else

stephenson86
09-13-2010, 05:56 AM
He had control of the ball in his one hand, it was secure and under control, he got 2 feet down and a knee

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 06:00 AM
but he lost it going down. it does definitely not look like he was letting it go voluntarily, he makes a weird hand motion just as it hits the ground, making the ground jarring it lose.

i mean would you rule it a catch if it was outside of the endzone or an incomplete pass because the ground jarred it lose? it wouldve been ruled the latter.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-13-2010, 06:27 AM
It was definitely the right call. Its right there in the book and we've seen it tons elf times over the past few years. Is the rule itself stupid? Yes. It definitely is. He clearly had possession in the end zone, that should be the play right there.

BlindSite
09-13-2010, 06:31 AM
It was the right call, but the rule needs to be worked on, which was more my point.

BigBanger
09-13-2010, 06:32 AM
A guy who catches the ball in the air, comes down with two feet, has the ball in one hand with possession, then goes to the ground and falls on his ass, and still maintains possession... that is a catch. End of play. When he turns over and puts the ball on the ground to use the ball to get up, and then the ball squirts out... doesn't ******* matter. Play is over. It's a TD. The rule is ******* awful and just cost the Lions a win. I hate seeing ******** calls enforced on ******** rules. Why? Because that will happen in the playoffs or the ******* Super Bowl and a team that doesn't deserve to win will win, and a team that doesn't deserve to lose, will lose.

Does anyone understand the tuck rule? I still have no ******* clue how they ruled Tom Brady's fumble an incomplete pass when he ******* pump fakes, gets sacked and fumbles at the same time. Is it a tuck rule because he's Tom Brady? Like a roughing the passer because after Brady had his knee tore up, now no one can go near His feet? The Ravens got ****** over on a horseshit roughing the passer call last year because competition committee has more ******* rules that prohibits football from being a contact sport. You wanna stop the QB from getting hit? Make it 7-on-7 and forget all this ****.

The NFL has become convoluted with rules on top of rules on top of rules. It's made the game worse. The competition committee needs to take a ******* break, or start disposing of the 10 thousand rules on how to make a ******* catch. What ever happened to just having possession and two feet in? Or a but? Or a knee? Or a forearm? What happened to that? It was so simple back then. There was no confusion. There were no ******** reversals. You catch the ball, have possession, have two feet down, a knee down and a butt down... and that's not enough? WTF is wrong with people? It's common ******* sense.

BigBanger
09-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I can't approve of this thread. NO TEBOW!!!!! He was in the wildcat!!! Did you see his thighs? Gliding to ferocious first down runs and pass play trickery? He was tearing the swamp lands of Jacksonville up, like he has for the past 4 years. Amazing talent. The ******* wildcat packages!!! That Josh McD sure knows how to draft. Genius. Tebow? God.

McBain
09-13-2010, 06:52 AM
A guy who catches the ball in the air, comes down with two feet, has the ball in one hand with possession, then goes to the ground and falls on his ass, and still maintains possession... that is a catch. End of play. When he turns over and puts the ball on the ground to use the ball to get up, and then the ball squirts out... doesn't ******* matter. Play is over. It's a TD. The rule is ******* awful and just cost the Lions a win. I hate seeing ******** calls enforced on ******** rules. Why? Because that will happen in the playoffs or the ******* Super Bowl and a team that doesn't deserve to win will win, and a team that doesn't deserve to lose, will lose.

Does anyone understand the tuck rule? I still have no ******* clue how they ruled Tom Brady's fumble an incomplete pass when he ******* pump fakes, gets sacked and fumbles at the same time. Is it a tuck rule because he's Tom Brady? Like a roughing the passer because after Brady had his knee tore up, now no one can go near His feet? The Ravens got ****** over on a horseshit roughing the passer call last year because competition committee has more ******* rules that prohibits football from being a contact sport. You wanna stop the QB from getting hit? Make it 7-on-7 and forget all this ****.

The NFL has become convoluted with rules on top of rules on top of rules. It's made the game worse. The competition committee needs to take a ******* break, or start disposing of the 10 thousand rules on how to make a ******* catch. What ever happened to just having possession and two feet in? Or a but? Or a knee? Or a forearm? What happened to that? It was so simple back then. There was no confusion. There were no ******** reversals. You catch the ball, have possession, have two feet down, a knee down and a butt down... and that's not enough? WTF is wrong with people? It's common ******* sense.

okay, now tell us how you really feel.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 07:19 AM
it just really reminds me of the tuck rule, while not as important, basically same thing

SenorGato
09-13-2010, 07:43 AM
The year everyone jumped off the "Arizona's going to break out" bandwagon they went to the Super Bowl.

The Texans remind me alot of that team. They're probably not Super Bowl bound, but in the NFL anything's possible really...Either way I think the Texans are the 2nd best team in their division...not that Titans.

Also, did anyone actually buy any of the negative stuff said about the Pats? I'll believe Goliath is dead when his head is placed before me cleanly detached from the body.

Was anyone else surprised at how often the Cowboys looked at Dez Bryant last night? The guy played what...3 games last year in his junior year of college...and I'm not sure he played all that much in the preseason either...I'd be shocked if he isn't the OROY. The guy is a beast.

abaddon41_80
09-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Everyone is going to look at the box score and assume Smith sucked but that just isn't the case. He had thrown what should have been a touchdown but the receiver stumbled so he did not get to the right spot and both interceptions were not entirely his fault. The first bounced right off of Crabtree's chest, it could not have been a better throw, and the second he ran a lazy route but it was still overthrown though.

nepg
09-13-2010, 07:53 AM
it just really reminds me of the tuck rule, while not as important, basically same thing

It's not. When there are other TD rules that allow for far sketchier TDs.

e.g. A runningback jumps into a pile, puts the ball over the line and then loses control of the ball. That's a TD.

Player running towards a pylon, jumps out of bounds, puts ball over pylon out of bounds...that's a TD.

But a guy catches a ball, has it with both hands, two steps, puts the ball up in the air with one hand in celebration of a great grab, falls on his ass (end of play!), then the ball squirts out when he gets up to celebrate... That's not a TD? In what universe.

nepg
09-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Even by that definition, they got the call wrong. In what way did he not have maintained possession at any point of that play?

If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

He clearly was in full control of the ball the entire time. He palmed it with one hand and had full control of it before he got up. Touchdown!

Addict
09-13-2010, 08:03 AM

I don't think the rule was ever intended to judge situations like these. I mean this, for all intends and purposes was a catch. I'm sure you can go into the rulebook and by the strictest, most backwards reading of the rules can somehow justify it, but that's butchering the spirit of the game.

This was a bad call because the rule they cite was never intended to rule out such plays and if Lovie Smith really thinks this is 'obvious' then I will refrain from ever feeling anything but disgust for that man. It was a horrible call because the refs perverted the rulebook to make it, and I don't believe anyone, even bears fans, can see this play and hear the ruling and go "well that makes sense", because you just can't.

OzTitan
09-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Put it this way - I doubt even the hardest of hardcore Bears fans would be complaining if it wasn't reviewed and was ruled a TD.

CJ made the play and brought it in. I've never seen a WR drop a pass and then get up and celebrate it, and I think CJ deserves a little bit of credit as a guy who probably knows when he's caught a football in his hands. He obviously felt it was a catch. The only time a WR has ever done something like this is when the sideline/endzone line is in question, which it obviously wasn't here.

fenikz
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Bears know they lost, if anything this just helps the Lions in the long run, higher pick and more motivation

Addict
09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Bears know they lost, if anything this just helps the Lions in the long run, higher pick and more motivation

I can understand motivation, but I don't think the Lions are short on high draft picks...

XxXdragonXxX
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I just don't understand exactly how long you have to demonstrate possession going to the ground.

I mean, he came down with 2 feet, held the ball in the air one hand basically telling the ref he look I got it, came down with a knee, put his other hand on the ground, then after he had obviously shown possession he used the hand with the ball in it to get up. I mean, it almost looked like he set the ball on the ground on purpose. I mean, how many "football moves" do you have to complete for it to be a catch?

I don't think they go it right according to the rule, IMO he did demonstrate possession going to the ground, it wasn't until he was getting up that he lost it. Basically, they decided that "going to the ground" means falling on your ass, then turning over to get up, then putting your hands on the ground to push yourself up, then actually getting up. Clearly CJ did not have the ball when he got up so it wasn't a completed catch?

Go_Eagles77
09-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I really wish Kolb was healthy enough to play in the 2nd half yesterday. I think he could have gotten the offense going the same way Vick did (without all the running obviously). Vick's passes were less accurate than Kolb's were, but like you mentioned Vick's legs saved him on MANY occasions which is what everyone sees.

The thing that kinda sucks is with Vick most likely starting next week against Detroit with Kolb injured, he could have a very good game passing against the lions' secondary, and everyone will still be calling for him to be the starter even more.

brat316
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Kolb just sucks. How many balls did he try and force to Jackson? He really just goes with his initial read. Can he read a defense?

lowlife
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
He pretty much has to come down all the way to the ground with full control and without the ball touching the ground. Similar to what happened to Tampa's Edell Shepherd in the Wildcard game against the Skins, except there was contact in that case (though according to the rule, it doesn't matter either way).

Really, they need an asterisk or a branch off of this rule specifically for the endzone. The instant there is possession (control, two feet), Touchdown and play over. Similar to how the ball just needs to break the plane for a runner crossing the goal line or the "infinite" endzone rule where a guy can just dive over the corner pylon and it be a touch.

nepg
09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
He pretty much has to come down all the way to the ground with full control and without the ball touching the ground.

He did. There's no excuse here. It was a TD.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
To start off, I'll admit that I'm a huge Bears fan so I watched the game and saw it live. At first, I was shocked they were reviewing it. But as soon as I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be overturned because I know the rule. For it to be a catch you must have two feet down and maintain possession throughout the entire catch. He got two feet down, but when he went to the ground, the ball came out. We've seen this call a ton of times in the field of play and no one complains about it. But when it overturns a TD, it's a huge deal. However, the rules don't change just because the catch comes in the endzone.

And for those who bring up running backs fumbling after they reach the goal line, that argument is ridiculous. For a touchdown to occur, you must break the goal line with possession. As soon as the ball crosses the line, if the RB has possession, it's a TD. In Johnson's case, he didn't have possession because he lost the ball when he hit the ground.

The call was right. The Lions were not robbed of a win by the refs. They were robbed of a win because despite investings tens of millions of dollars in a QB, they refuse to protect him and despite having a supposed defensive genius as a coach they couldn't hold Chicago to under 400 yards of offense.

nepg
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
To start off, I'll admit that I'm a huge Bears fan so I watched the game and saw it live. At first, I was shocked they were reviewing it. But as soon as I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be overturned because I know the rule. For it to be a catch you must have two feet down and maintain possession throughout the entire catch. He got two feet down, but when he went to the ground, the ball came out. We've seen this call a ton of times in the field of play and no one complains about it. But when it overturns a TD, it's a huge deal. However, the rules don't change just because the catch comes in the endzone.

And for those who bring up running backs fumbling after they reach the goal line, that argument is ridiculous. For a touchdown to occur, you must break the goal line with possession. As soon as the ball crosses the line, if the RB has possession, it's a TD. In Johnson's case, he didn't have possession because he lost the ball when he hit the ground.

The call was right. The Lions were not robbed of a win by the refs. They were robbed of a win because despite investings tens of millions of dollars in a QB, they refuse to protect him and despite having a supposed defensive genius as a coach they couldn't hold Chicago to under 400 yards of offense.
Dude. Shut up. He had possession. GTFO with that ****, homer.

XxXdragonXxX
09-13-2010, 09:53 AM
He did. There's no excuse here. It was a TD.

Exactly, he was down, and in the process of getting up, he lost the ball.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Dude. Shut up. He had possession. GTFO with that ****, homer.

Being a homer has nothing to do with it. Former head of officiating Mike Pereira said the call was right. Every commentator and journalist who covers the NFL said the call was right. Is the rule stupid? Yeah, probably. But that doesn't matter. It is still a rule and the Bears won fair and square.

nepg
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Being a homer has nothing to do with it. Former head of officiating Mike Pereira said the call was right. Every commentator and journalist who covers the NFL said the call was right. Is the rule stupid? Yeah, probably. But that doesn't matter. It is still a rule and the Bears won fair and square.
Yes it does, and no he wasn't. By the very letter of the rule, it was a catch.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Okay, so I guess you know more about the rules of football than someone who was the head of officiating or people who cover football for a living. By the letter of the rule, it was not a catch and that is not debatable. the only thing debatable is whether or not the rule is a good one and I agree that it probably isn't.

bigbluedefense
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
The Giants Panthers game was ugly all around. Both teams made sloppy mistakes and tried giving the game away.

I said prior to the season I think the Panthers are going to win the NFC South, I think that can still happen, they just have to be more careful with turnovers, which I think can happen. Maybe this game was a blessing in disguise for them, they'll be more careful with the ball.

I'm not in agreement with the notion that Reid didn't do Kolb any favors. If anything, they babied Kolb the first half and minimized his responsibilities in an attempt to get him going. They ran a ton of wildcat with Vick early, they gave McCoy touches and only asked Kolb to make plays sparingly. And he couldn't do it. He was downright awful in the first half.

I also said Seattle would win the NFC West, and I'm sticking to that prediction. They had a very very good draft, the talent level on the team isn't nearly as bad as ppl think, and the division is horrible. I don't believe in Alex Smith, and Arizona is done for without Warner. It's Seattle's division to lose.

nepg
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm less biased than someone who has ties directly to the NFL (seriously? you're using Pereira as a valid person in this case?). Anyone can read the rule and watch the play step by step and see they got it wrong.

It's very debatable because they got it wrong. Very wrong. By the spirit and by the letter.

Rosebud
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Put it this way - I doubt even the hardest of hardcore Bears fans would be complaining if it wasn't reviewed and was ruled a TD.

CJ made the play and brought it in. I've never seen a WR drop a pass and then get up and celebrate it, and I think CJ deserves a little bit of credit as a guy who probably knows when he's caught a football in his hands. He obviously felt it was a catch. The only time a WR has ever done something like this is when the sideline/endzone line is in question, which it obviously wasn't here.

Yeah, me and my buddy where talking about that. He was watching the game and figured the Bears had lost until the review, at which point he mused WTF they could be reviewing and then proceeded to facebook that the Bears got stupidly lucky.

vidae
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm less biased than someone who has ties directly to the NFL (seriously? you're using Pereira as a valid person in this case?). Anyone can read the rule and watch the play step by step and see they got it wrong.

It's very debatable because they got it wrong. Very wrong. By the spirit and by the letter.

Yeah, agreed. The Lions got jobbed. There is really no other way to look at this.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM

First, Pereira was saying all this during the broadcast of the game, not after the fact. If he had said this later, I could see how it would look like he was covering for a ref. And Pereira is no longer directly tied to the NFL. He works for Fox now.

nepg
09-13-2010, 10:43 AM
And Pereira is no longer directly tied to the NFL. He works for Fox now.

lol.
----
So you read the rule and then watched it carefully and think it wasn't a catch? I don't believe that for a second.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
So you read the rule and then watched it carefully and think it wasn't a catch? I don't believe that for a second.

I've read the rule and watched it a ton of times and it was not a catch based on the rule. Based on common sense, it was a catch. But based on the rule, and that is what refs have to base their calls on, it was not a catch.

With that said, if the very same thing had happened on a Jay Cutler-Johnny Knox pass, I would be super pissed.

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Saying whether or not the Calvin play was a catch or not in your opinion doesn't do much. The refs ruled against it. The Lions lost. This thread is being hijacked.

P-L
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM

So was the tuck rule and people are still bitching nine years later...

Complex
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I really wish Kolb was healthy enough to play in the 2nd half yesterday. I think he could have gotten the offense going the same way Vick did (without all the running obviously). Vick's passes were less accurate than Kolb's were, but like you mentioned Vick's legs saved him on MANY occasions which is what everyone sees.

The thing that kinda sucks is with Vick most likely starting next week against Detroit with Kolb injured, he could have a very good game passing against the lions' secondary, and everyone will still be calling for him to be the starter even more.

Kolb played terrible, I don't know what game you were watching. Vick passes were way more accurates than Kolbs, did you not see that pass to Brent?If Kolb stayed in the whole game the eagles would have been beat by like 30 points.

Addict
09-13-2010, 11:31 AM

watchu talkin' 'bout Pee-El?

umphrey
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Eagles-Packers was a tough gritty game.

Eagles got a good pass rush and their secondary played tight coverage but sucked at tackling. Run defense was poor. They lost Bradley (MLB) to injury though among others.

Eagles offense looked like garbage with Kolb. He had 24 yards in a half and should have had 3+ picks (but had 0). Vick looked very good except mediocre accuracy and poor decision making. Their line broke down a lot but Vick got away from pressure multiple times. DJax and Maclin weren't getting separation but if they were I couldn't tell because no one was throwing to them. Eagles didn't run the ball at all really unless you count a the Vick pass-scrambles.

Packers defense looked great. Starting DE Cullen Jenkins broke his hand and has to wear a club. Harrell - our #4 lineman is (not confirmed but 99.999%) out for the year. Raji looked great at NT and we collapsed the pocket pretty easily almost every play even with 3,4 rushers. Secondary played excellent. Charles Woodson was everywhere batting down passes and Traman Williams was doing the same - good to see them playing the football. UDFA Sam Shields did OK for his first game. Clay Matthews, Clay Matthews, Clay Matthews, he looked like 3 people out there. Clay Matthews: DPOW (D Player of Week). 2 Sacks, a third almost sack where he tackled Kolb scrambling for a 2 yard gain with a forced fumble and gave him the concussion, lead the team in tackles, good in coverage, and beat a double team to tackle Vick on 4th and 1 for a clear yard short of the marker. Oh, he dropped an interception though, so A+ instead of A+++.

Packers offense looked bad mostly. J-Mike got doubled teamed and shut down a lot. Rodgers was inaccurate, 2 INTs, wasn't reading the field well. Receivers played well and got separation, especially Jennings and Driver. OL run blocked well and poor but not terrible pass pro. Rodgers had time to drop back, set and throw most every play but any hesitation and he got sacked, which he did a lot. Grant got hurt after some nice runs, Brandon Jackson played the second half - he's our only other RB on the roster BTW. He looked excellent though, a completely different player. Hit the hole hard, quicker, and really strong legs that would consistently push the tackle back 3-4 yards.

Auron
09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Some of my thoughts from Opening Week. Won't bother making my own thread I'm sure we've seen enough around here.

- I think in Patriot land this off-season Belichick and Brady were sitting around quietly taking in all the Jets hype in the media and just building that to their motivation. I think they wanted to show the league they are still the team to beat in the AFC East. Brady looked to be in prime form with his assortment of weapons including a healthy Wes Welker, TE Aaron Hernandez will make a big impact for them.. he's a Tight End with Wide receiver-like abilities they can do some really creative things with him in the passing game. The only thing that was off was the deep game to Randy Moss.. they couldn't seem to connect on the longer routes, but hey it is Week 1 I expect things to smooth out as the season goes a long as they get their timing back.

I questioned how their young Defense would hold up, and they answered the call just fine. They showed me they were up for the challenge. Last season they looked inexperienced, yesterday they looked fast and broke and attacked the ball with confidence. Belichick has coached these guys up. There are still some questions with the Pats like how will this team perform on the road? Their road record was fairly poor last season.. but they showed quite a lot in this first game against a Bengal team many people thought should be a force in the AFC this season.

- Now onto the Bengals.. disappointing start to the season. With the hype surrounding their additions on Offense I expected a lot more from them Offensively. Yes Palmer put up some nice numbers in the end, but a lot of it was from playing catch up. In the crucial moments of the game, he made some poor decisions, and wasn't on time with some throws. A Defense which was quite solid for them last season was carved up with ease by Brady on the Patriots, and the run Defense looked vulnerable surrendering 5.1 YPC. They'll have time to work things out, but they'll have a big game next week against the Ravens.

- Is there a changing of the winds in the AFC South? Yesterday was a very big win for the Texans against their Divisional foe Indianapolis...a type of confidence booster that can turn around a franchise... but you have to keep things in perspective it was just 1 game. They have much work to do, starting with a road game in Washington next week. Use this as a building block win, but the whole season is ahead.

- Ugly games seemed to be a theme for Week 1, which was apparent in the Packers/Eagles game. The Packers were a pre-season Super Bowl favorite coming for the NFC... They didn't look amazingly sharp vs. a feisty Eagles team, which gave them a gritty, physical game. At times they did show that Super Bowl potential with big plays in the passing game... but Aaron Rodgers also made some critical mistakes which kept the Eagles in the game late. They would have to be led by Mike Vick after Kevin Kolb was knocked out of the game with a concussion. Good teams don't always win pretty, but the Packers pulled it out on the road in less than stellar conditions... I expect them to have a much easier time with Buffalo at home next week.

- As for the Kolb/Vick situations... I think Mike Vick is the best fit for them if they want to win some games this season. Their Offensive line looked very porous in Pass protection, and with Vick's escapability, he stands a much better chance of surviving and turning nothing into something than Kolb would. Kolb looked pretty poor in the little amount of time he got, and showed very little confidence. It is said a team feeds off their QB, and while Kolb was in the Eagles didn't played with confidence like their QB.

- The Titans should still be the dominant Rushing team in the NFL. Yes they played the Raiders but 203 yards rushing is impressive. Chris Johnson looks to be on a repeat quest for 2k... and you give them a backup Back like Javon Ringer? Woah that's just not fair.

- The Jaguars probably won't be as bad of a team as I anticipated, Garrard looked pretty good and confident, and Marcedes Lewis has emerged as one of his top targets. They're still in a brutal division and I still don't expect playoffs from them but they probably won't be in contention for the #1 pick like some were suggesting this off-season.

BlindSite
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Packers offense looked bad mostly. J-Mike got doubled teamed and shut down a lot. Rodgers was inaccurate, 2 INTs, wasn't reading the field well. Receivers played well and got separation, especially Jennings and Driver. OL run blocked well and poor but not terrible pass pro. Rodgers had time to drop back, set and throw most every play but any hesitation and he got sacked, which he did a lot. Grant got hurt after some nice runs, Brandon Jackson played the second half - he's our only other RB on the roster BTW. He looked excellent though, a completely different player. Hit the hole hard, quicker, and really strong legs that would consistently push the tackle back 3-4 yards.

Rogers didn't look too bad, he threw a couple of picks and made a couple of bad decisions, but I really liked how he lead that offense. I'm not worried about his future this season in the slightest.

umphrey
09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
He took some sacks that made me scream and I remember watching Finley run across the first down marker open for at least 2 seconds on 3rd and 2 and Rodgers just wouldn't take his eyes off down field. His accuracy was also inconsistent, especially the first series and the second interception.

I'm not worried about his future in the slightest I just think he played like garbage compared to what he's capable of. He looked like all his early 2009 problems came back and were multiplied.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 08:19 PM
still the right call.

V.I.P
09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Why isn't Josh Freeman mentioned in "Young QB's section" ??

wogitalia
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I've never seen a WR drop a pass and then get up and celebrate it, and I think CJ deserves a little bit of credit as a guy who probably knows when he's caught a football in his hands.

You haven't watched very much football. WRs always claim they've caught the ball, even when they haven't.

While I think the rule is ridiculous and inconsistent with most endzone rules regarding when a score is completed, the rule is pretty clear and he clearly did not meet the requirements for a completed catch.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-14-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm not so sure that Moore wasn't concussed well before the 4th quarter and I'm not just saying that because he played like it. He took some pretty heavy hits early in the game

Me Likey Rookies
09-14-2010, 02:17 AM

I was about to bring this up. Our young QB is better than all of your young QBs!8)

BlindSite
09-14-2010, 02:49 AM

I was about to bring this up. Our young QB is better than all of your young QBs!8-)

I actually thought I had something about him in there, I did in my notes anyway.

I was impressed with him and I think he's legit, which really pisses me off to be quite honest. First a QB, then two great DTs now a good WR. **** you guys.

I'm not so sure that Moore wasn't concussed well before the 4th quarter and I'm not just saying that because he played like it. He took some pretty heavy hits early in the game

Interesting theory, most players won't come out of the game after a big hit because they don't want to be perceived as weak or whatever, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was groggy and a bit of a mess long before the Umenyiora hit.

Caddy
09-14-2010, 02:59 AM
Your frustration at the Bucs fortune makes me happy in a twisted way Blindsite. Mike Williams + Gerald McCoy + J-Free = a happy caddy.

brat316
09-15-2010, 05:56 AM
No write up?

Saints-Tigers
09-15-2010, 06:01 AM
You haven't watched very much football. WRs always claim they've caught the ball, even when they haven't.

While I think the rule is ridiculous and inconsistent with most endzone rules regarding when a score is completed, the rule is pretty clear and he clearly did not meet the requirements for a completed catch.

I don't think the rule is that cut and dry at all. Thought NJX summed up the problem pretty well in one of these threads.

Addict
09-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Your frustration at the Bucs fortune makes me happy in a twisted way Blindsite. Mike Williams + Gerald McCoy + J-Free = a happy caddy.

tiger's leftovers take care of the assistant = happy caddy ;)