PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Arrogance/ Bad Coaching Thread

hockey619
09-13-2010, 10:11 AM
What is up with coaches in the NFL? Maybe Im just getting smarter (finally, mercifully), but it just seems that in the last year or two coaching has become a lost art along with good tackling.

* Last year, Ricky Williams was running wild against a number of teams, but would then inexplicably stop recieving carries as Henne would throw over fifty times. All this while the game was close or even Miami winning.

* Same ****, different team. Childress basically throwing that game with his sudden abandonment of the successful-to-that-point running game.

* anything OC of dallas Garrett has done. Man really just looks completely foolish sometimes. That end of half play wasnt necessarily a bad call (and the media who are picking them apart over it would be the same ones praising it if theyd bombed it and somehow scored), if they wanna be bold that fine. But then tell Romo to actually bomb it, just toss it up there and see what happens in the endzone. Choice was just playing hard and being a little stupid. It happens. But some of his other play calls were head scratching at the least. And how is it that the boys come out of a timeout for that final play of the game and are somehow still confused and disorganzed? Thats a coaching problem.

* Why in the name of all things sane and holy is a rookie QB throwing 50 passes in his first game that is A) close and B) he has one of the best backs in the game in his backfield and few recieving options.

* Non NFL one (sorry i cant help it): In the NCG Bama Texas, Texas refused to go to a five down man D or bear D despite getting killed by the run and McCelroy or whatev his name is doing nothing. Im sorry but this isnt even common sense.

* Future one: Kolb over Vick to start. Why!?!?!?!?! anyone watching that game yesterday saw that Kolb looked horrible, like no hope in **** hes gunna get it done horrible. Vick looked like hes got a shot, so if he lights it up next week with Kolb out I say you give it to him.

* Stretch plays: they failed constantly for the Packers. And yet they kept trying them. Reason unknown. And the Giants for the second straight year are trying to get Jacobs to the outside with stretch plays and zone runs. Except his change of direction (COD) skills suck. And last year using all those plays was his worst year so far, even worse than the #'s indicate IMO.

* Matt Moore: is he good or not? Didnt really look it, but really tough to tell when he was getting absolutely crushed back there on every freaking play, even more pressure than Kolb was seeing. It was absurd how little help he had. And yet...another five step drop? Why not! Nuetralize that rush with three step drops and get rid of the ball. Come on, at least give the guy a chance to prove he cant do it before Clausen takes over and also looks confused due to tons of deep routes and long drops into his own endzone on his first NFL snaps. Just tons of stupid things.

Give me some time and ill probably think of a ton more. Its really sad.

Others you guys can point out/blew your mind?

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
anything Lovie Smith stands for

vidae
09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't get Childress. If they keep running the ball I think they might be 1-0 right now instead of 0-1. Just made no sense.

jrdrylie
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
anything Lovie Smith stands for

Yeah. Lovie Smith punted from the 45 on 4th-and-3 with only a few minutes left. Yet when a field goal gives them the lead, he goes for it on 4th-and-goal from the one? Even if the Bears makes the playoffs this year, Lovie has to go!

AHungryWalrus
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Andy Reid's timeout use at the end of the game was horrendous. Their final play of the game was a HORRIBLE play call. If you want Vick to run it straight up the middle, do it from under center. Or better yet, do it on a bootleg with an option to pass.

Reid is almost as bad as Childress. Both just horrible coaches that have no business in the NFL.

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I have another non-NFL one that drives me nuts:

Marshall/West Virginia. Marshall has been terrorizing West Virginia defensively and was getting great pressure all game long. Then, inexplicably, they shift to the prevent defense early in the 4th quarter, rushing only 3 players much of the time and dropping everyone else into deep zones, and West Virginia goes right up the field to tie it up and force overtime.

The only thing the prevent prevents, is you from holding your lead. The only time it should ever be used is when there isn't much time left, and the other team doesn't have any timeouts left. Then you can give up those 20 yard strikes down the middle of the field, since it will cost them a lot of time.

And yeah, in the NFL, I have to agree that Lovie, Childress, Reid and Garrett do some of the absolute dumbest things.

And these still crack me up....you know you have to be doing something wrong to start a meme:

http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2564200/If-he-gets-by-you-Alex-just-grab-his-throat-Golden.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563949/Two-minute-drill-Need-more-screens.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563768/Tashard-Choice-MOAR.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563738/3rd-and-10-Deepest-route-is-9-yards.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563565/Their-best-pass-rusher-is-on-the-sideline-Time-to-establish-the-run.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563366/I-get-that-you-wanna-run-the-ball-Marion-But-my-question-is-How-is-your-throwing-arm.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563330/This-man-Is-a-god-damned-offensive-genius.jpg
http://images.memegenerator.net/Genius-Garrett/ImageMacro/2563284/3rd-and-8-TIME-FOR-A-SCREEN.jpg

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
* Matt Moore: is he good or not? Didnt really look it, but really tough to tell when he was getting absolutely crushed back there on every freaking play, even more pressure than Kolb was seeing. It was absurd how little help he had. And yet...another five step drop? Why not! Nuetralize that rush with three step drops and get rid of the ball. Come on, at least give the guy a chance to prove he cant do it before Clausen takes over and also looks confused due to tons of deep routes and long drops into his own endzone on his first NFL snaps. Just tons of stupid things.

I watched way to much of the Panthers v Giants game and I don't know what you saw that gave you any hope of Matt Moore becoming a good QB. Yes, his play calling wasn't good, but when he had time and a chance to make he play, he chose to loft the ball up into triple coverage. Not just once or twice. I saw it at least 5 times (and I was flipping back and forth) where he threw the ball "with touch" into a host of Giant defenders. And the best part of it was he was yelling and getting pissed at the WRs/TEs when they didn't make a play on his horribly thrown balls. He still is very young and doesn't need to get into the bad habit of blaming the rest of the team for his terrible reads and horrible throws. If he isn't careful, Steve Smith will break his f****** jaw if Matt starts yelling at him about a bad route!

Matt Moore had 1 good throw all game, the TD pass to Steve Smith. The only positive for any Panther fan is that Claussen dropped in their lap during the draft and maybe he will have a better future than their Matt.

Addict
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I was gonna say Andy Reid and time management too. He's been bad at it for so long now, too.

Also, not recent, but still relevant: Colts coaches resting starters in week 17 year after year.

hockey619
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I watched way to much of the Panthers v Giants game and I don't know what you saw that gave you any hope of Matt Moore becoming a good QB. Yes, his play calling wasn't good, but when he had time and a chance to make he play, he chose to loft the ball up into triple coverage. Not just once or twice. I saw it at least 5 times (and I was flipping back and forth) where he threw the ball "with touch" into a host of Giant defenders. And the best part of it was he was yelling and getting pissed at the WRs/TEs when they didn't make a play on his horribly thrown balls. He still is very young and doesn't need to get into the bad habit of blaming the rest of the team for his terrible reads and horrible throws. If he isn't careful, Steve Smith will break his f****** jaw if Matt starts yelling at him about a bad route!

Matt Moore had 1 good throw all game, the TD pass to Steve Smith. The only positive for any Panther fan is that Claussen dropped in their lap during the draft and maybe he will have a better future than their Matt.

Re read my post, no where did i say i think he'll be good. I didnt see him last year when he showed promise supposedly so i could only base it on today and he didnt look good at all. didnt see the yelling though missed that.

i did see all those throws into coverage/stare downs. when he was in, moore looked pretty bad. Really forced the ball to smith a couple times. a couple decent reads and throws but they were few and far between.

And Clausen looked like a stray, so lost and confused out there. a rookie granted, but he looked down on himself on the bench sitting there, not showing the fire he had at ND. Not a good sign. But hes a rookie inside his own five taking drops into the endzone? What? moore was bad but this to me was evidence that the play calling wasnt doing anyone any favors

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Andy Reid lost the Eagles that game. QB dive when the Packers showed an all out blitz even with Vick in shotgun. They didn't spread the defense out and give Vick and outlet in case the lane wasn't there. And they had no timeouts left. They used their third one with 5 minutes left in the 4th when losing. Mind boggling.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-13-2010, 12:06 PM
What is up with coaches in the NFL? Maybe Im just getting smarter (finally, mercifully), but it just seems that in the last year or two coaching has become a lost art along with good tackling.

* Last year, Ricky Williams was running wild against a number of teams, but would then inexplicably stop recieving carries as Henne would throw over fifty times. All this while the game was close or even Miami winning.

* Same ****, different team. Childress basically throwing that game with his sudden abandonment of the successful-to-that-point running game.

* anything OC of dallas Garrett has done. Man really just looks completely foolish sometimes. That end of half play wasnt necessarily a bad call (and the media who are picking them apart over it would be the same ones praising it if theyd bombed it and somehow scored), if they wanna be bold that fine. But then tell Romo to actually bomb it, just toss it up there and see what happens in the endzone. Choice was just playing hard and being a little stupid. It happens. But some of his other play calls were head scratching at the least. And how is it that the boys come out of a timeout for that final play of the game and are somehow still confused and disorganzed? Thats a coaching problem.

* Why in the name of all things sane and holy is a rookie QB throwing 50 passes in his first game that is A) close and B) he has one of the best backs in the game in his backfield and few recieving options.

* Non NFL one (sorry i cant help it): In the NCG Bama Texas, Texas refused to go to a five down man D or bear D despite getting killed by the run and McCelroy or whatev his name is doing nothing. Im sorry but this isnt even common sense.

* Future one: Kolb over Vick to start. Why!?!?!?!?! anyone watching that game yesterday saw that Kolb looked horrible, like no hope in **** hes gunna get it done horrible. Vick looked like hes got a shot, so if he lights it up next week with Kolb out I say you give it to him.

* Stretch plays: they failed constantly for the Packers. And yet they kept trying them. Reason unknown. And the Giants for the second straight year are trying to get Jacobs to the outside with stretch plays and zone runs. Except his change of direction (COD) skills suck. And last year using all those plays was his worst year so far, even worse than the #'s indicate IMO.

Give me some time and ill probably think of a ton more. Its really sad.

Others you guys can point out/blew your mind?

We made Moore like a JV QB. Now with enough film on him our scouts could break him down as soon as possible since the schedules comes out so early. So I am sure we had a comprehensive scouting report on him. I thought all the hits took their toll on poor Matt Moore.

The Unseen
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Jack Del Rio going for it on 4th and Inches on the Jaguars' 40. The defense had been playing well - all you have to do is punt and then eventually get the ball back. But nooooooo, River Gambler Jack goes for it, and calls a ******* HB Dive to top off the stupidity. It fails, and the Broncos take a quick drive for a TD.

I like some of his gambles, like on the opponent's 40 or maybe even on the 50, but in your own territory is a bad idea.

abaddon41_80
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Everything about the 49ers coaching staff is atrocious. Playcalling, clock management, schemes, adjustments, you name it.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Watching Andy Reid's clock management at the end of any game is always a fun adventure that I enjoy.

Also Jason Garrett is terrible all around, most cowboy fans have been screaming it for years now, at least it's noticeable. Good news is that he shouldn't end up our Head Coach at this point so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

P-L
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Jason Garrett is one of the worst play-callers I've ever seen... and I'm a Lions fan.

Basileus777
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Everything about the 49ers coaching staff is atrocious. Playcalling, clock management, schemes, adjustments, you name it.

I don't know why anyone think highly of Singletary. The harsh truth of it is that guy is a poor man's Herm Edwards. He's not good for much other than talking at a press conference.

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Just saw a replay of that final Eagles play....I swear to god that Reid wanted Vick (almost typed McNabb....) to fail on that play to avoid a QB controversy. So stupid....

Halsey
09-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Just saw a replay of that final Eagles play....I swear to god that Reid wanted Vick (almost typed McNabb....) to fail on that play to avoid a QB controversy. So stupid....

Please tell me you're kidding. So Reid signed Vick, but wants him to fail? That's an all time classic Vickscuse.

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Please tell me you're kidding. So Reid signed Vick, but wants him to fail? That's an all time classic Vickscuse.

Some exaggeration, but it was seriously a terrible playcall. Any idiot who has ever played Madden for 5 minutes could have come up with something better.

Basileus777
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Lovie Smith not kicking the FG when they were down by 1 in the 4th, and the Lions were without their starting QB, had no first downs in the 2nd half and about 100 yards of total offense is one of the worst calls I have ever seen. There's no justification for it, it's pure insanity.

Saints-Tigers
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Looked that way.

Vick is clearly the better QB, and would make a lot of teams win more games at the moment(like Atlanta).

As for Vikings, they did give up on the run too fast, but it's not like Peterson was destroying us either, he had a few nice ones, and he got stuffed a bunch too.

Sean Payton has his flaws, like when he goes pass happy, but I feel like he was humbled in the 8-8 years, so even when he starts to go pass happy, he'll reign himself in by halftime.

Our passing is awesome, but if Nicks and Evans are opening up holes big enough for Bush and Thomas to dominate on the ground, or rip off 5-7 yards nearly every play, against the Vikings line no less, there is no need to pass.

I mean, the Williams wall got washed out and dominated up front, what could we do to teams with mediocre tackles?

abaddon41_80
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't know why anyone think highly of Singletary. The harsh truth of it is that guy is a poor man's Herm Edwards. He's not good for much other than talking at a press conference.

I think Singletary can succeed as a head coach because of his motivational abilities and toughness but with his lack of knowledge of the intricacies of the game, especially on offense, he needs good coordinators under him and the 49ers have two of the worst coordinators in the league.

FuzzyGopher
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM

That had to be one of the worst play calls I've seen in awhile. I was expecting some sort of bootleg where Vick would have had the option to pass or run if no one was open. But no, the guy who calls passes 60% of the time decides to some goofy qb sneak type thing from shotgun.

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
That had to be one of the worst play calls I've seen in awhile. I was expecting some sort of bootleg where Vick would have had the option to pass or run if no one was open. But no, the guy who calls passes 60% of the time decides to some goofy qb sneak type thing from shotgun.

I know exactly the play I would have run with him there. Pull a couple of blockers out to the left, let him roll that way with either the option to run it or throw to a TE who is just a few yards further down the field.

It's like the most basic college option offense play there is and it would have worked so beautifully with him there.

CC.SD
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't understand why Todd Haley and Norv Turner kept going for it on 4th down, too aggressive at non-critical junctures, it is not a necessary risk. Football games are won using field position.

tjsunstein
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Remember when Lovie Smith went for it on 4th and 1 down by 1 on the opponents 10 or so Sunday?

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Remember when Lovie Smith went for it on 4th and 1 down by 1 on the opponents 10 or so Sunday?

Umm...it was 4th and goal on the one. And yes. It hasn't been forgotten.

Gay Ork Wang
09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
i remember tied game, 0:02 seconds left, Seahawks have the ball, 4th down, they want the time to run out, Lovie calls a Timeout, thinking the seahawks might punt to Hester. Seahawks say thank you and line up again for a hail mary. thank god that one failed.

Thecollegedropout
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Maybe I am just not seeing it but what was the point of Chan Gailey's call to have the LS throw the ball out of bounds on 4th down near the endzone in the Bills/Phins game for a safety. I don't agree with going for it there since Edwards is incompetant and one mistake and Miami has an easy 7 but you have one of the better punters in Moorman why not just have him punt the ball and sideline the punt returner?

Instead after the safety(Take into account it was 13-10 MIA at the time, now making it a must score TD Game at 15-10), Gailey elects to pooch kick the ball and use their timeouts in their 3 and out stop and give an already bad offense about 20 or so seconds to march 80 yds for a TD.

LonghornsLegend
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Jason Garrett is one of the worst play-callers I've ever seen... and I'm a Lions fan.

He really can't get anything right. Goes away from the run when it's working and will abandon it to pass all game, goes into the shotgun and 5 WR sets when we have 1st and goal on the 1 yard line with Marion Barber in, loves to throw screen passes that don't work, ugh I could go on and on.

Prime reason why we had so many yards last year(2nd in the league, due to the weapons on offense, and him still wanting to throw even when were up by 20 points), and were 15th in scoring(because of terrible play-calling especially in the red zone).

I don't know if another team had such a disparity as we did in yards & scoring but we've got to be close to the top of the list.

prock
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Lovie Smith shouldn't be employed. Brad Childress comes from the Andy Reid school of bad coaching.

Ness
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Mike Singletary is arguably the worst head coach in the NFL. No coaching experience other than as a position coach. Doesn't know X's and O's, has terrible game management skills, and uses timeouts to give a "rah rah" speech that he'll think will pay dividends. I don't care if Big Bird was our head coach, if Big Bird knew X's and O's and was actually a good strategist, it would be all gravy. Meanwhile, our quarterback with the best potential was downgraded to the practice squad and Troy Smith was signed in his place.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm slowly beginning to see why everyone hated Mike Mularkey towards the end of his run with his teams.

703SKINS202
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/324902/skinseagles09bplaycall.jpg/thread

HawkEye30
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Mike Singletary is arguably the worst head coach in the NFL. No coaching experience other than as a position coach. Doesn't know X's and O's, has terrible game management skills, and uses timeouts to give a "rah rah" speech that he'll think will pay dividends. I don't care if Big Bird was our head coach, if Big Bird knew X's and O's and was actually a good strategist, it would be all gravy. Meanwhile, our quarterback with the best potential was downgraded to the practice squad and Troy Smith was signed in his place.

I would have to agree with this after this past sunday. The dude uses timeouts at the worst time and when it comes time to use one at the end of the quarter they cant. He just does not seem like he should be an nfl coach. Plus im not sure why he kept going for it on 4th down.

descendency
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Rex Ryan. End of Thread.

ShutDwn
09-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Just stop. I'm tired of this stupid argument with people who don't typically watch the Panthers. Starting for us last year he was 4-1, 8 TDs 1 INT, that what gives you hope that he will be a good QB.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122705/2009/REG16/panthers@giants#tab:watch

If the run game isn't working and when that happens it will be extremely hard for this pass game to work because we have no receivers.

Also let me make it clear I think he can be a pretty good QB for us with our run game, I don't think he is a superstar.

He is the correct choice over Clausen right now.

J-Mike88
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I know. Down the stretch last year, I thought the 49ers offense was the 2007 Texas Tech offense, and this with Frank Gore back there at RB.

It was almost as if Andy Reid took over playcalling for the 49ers last year.

I didn't watch much of the 49ers joke at Seattle yesterday so I don't know what their offense looked like other than the fact that they got destroyed by the team YFStoner thought was hands-down the worst team in the NFL.

MidwayMonster31
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Going for it on 4th down was not only ridiculously arrogant of Lovie, but choosing to play cover 3 at the end of the game was absurd.
The play calling in the red zone was also garbage by Martz.
Also, Seattle might be better than we think, we will find out soon though.

AHungryWalrus
09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Rex Ryan. End of Thread.

He's arrogant, but HARDLY a bad coach. Most good coaches ARE arrogant.

P-L
09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
That 4th down call by Lovie was probably the second worst coaching decision I've ever seen, regardless of outcome. The only worse one was Marty Morningweg winning the coin toss in overtime and taking the wind.

descendency
09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
He's arrogant, but HARDLY a bad coach. Most good coaches ARE arrogant.

There is a huge difference between arrogant and confident. He's arrogant to the point he looks like a bad coach.

"Our goal is to win the Super Bowl" (so is every other teams...)
"I'm not afraid of Bill Belichick" (if anyone else is, they should quit coaching...)

It's stupid crap like that. Is he a good coach? He's not bad but he's done a lot of dumb s*** already that has the team in a position I don't think they want to be. There is no denying he made the Revis situation worse. He couldn't shut his mouth about him and then Revis took that and spit it back in the Jets faces.

He's Jerry Jones minus the Super Bowl rings (and the billions).

Monomach
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
i remember tied game, 0:02 seconds left, Seahawks have the ball, 4th down, they want the time to run out, Lovie calls a Timeout, thinking the seahawks might punt to Hester. Seahawks say thank you and line up again for a hail mary. thank god that one failed.

Ugh. Yep. That was even a playoff game. Just horrible. Lovie Smith needs to be fired, for sure.

Lovie Smith challenges what I said.
Lovie Smith challenges his challenge.
Bears are now out of challenges.

AHungryWalrus
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
There is a huge difference between arrogant and confident. He's arrogant to the point he looks like a bad coach.

"Our goal is to win the Super Bowl" (so is every other teams...)
"I'm not afraid of Bill Belichick" (if anyone else is, they should quit coaching...)

It's stupid crap like that. Is he a good coach? He's not bad but he's done a lot of dumb s*** already that has the team in a position I don't think they want to be. There is no denying he made the Revis situation worse. He couldn't shut his mouth about him and then Revis took that and spit it back in the Jets faces.

He's Jerry Jones minus the Super Bowl rings (and the billions).

You really don't know what you're talking about with the Jets.

a) The players LIKE that he's cocky. Watch Hard Knocks. He has confidence in his players, and is VERY vocal about it. I know it rubs you wrong as a Pats fan, but he doesn't care.

b) He had a minimal impact at most on the Revis situation. Revis has the same agents as Vincent Jackson. He ALREADY held out for his rookie contract. Revis is just a hold out type. Ryan called Mangold the best center, and Jenkins the best DT. They didn't hold out.

c) Most people would agree Belicheck is the best coach in the league. The man cheats and runs up the score on people. A good coach doesn't give a **** about what you think, he does his business and tries to win.

hockey619
09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Agreed on Rex, hes legit.

Its a breath of fresh air to get an open honest dude just talkin smack and sayin whatever he wants. Its a sport, it should be fun and entertaining. Rex certainly makes me wanna watch more football, very cool guy.

Saints-Tigers
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I just don't think Rex believes his own bullsh*t half the time. He seems like he just wants to be heard.

dan77733
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Anything related to the 49ers coaching staff since Mariucci was fired.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Matt Moore isn't great, and because of that, the Panthers shouldn't be throwing the ball 3 times from the four yard line.

He wasn't put in a position to succeed, and he didn't. In fact, he looked quite terrible. That's the jist of that game.

BlindSite
09-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Actually the first half he played extremely well. The reason being there was a great mix of pass and run plays being called. The defense couldn't just pin their ears back and rush or stack the box. Then for some reason they decide to call throw after throw after throw. They didn't call screens or short routes either.

Sure Moore made some terrible throws into coverage but throughout the second half he received both poor protection and a distinct lack of help from the run game.

Moore showed last year when he's playing the back of a good running performance he's amazingly good, in fact he was 2nd only to Philip Rivers in December for QB rating and he was brilliant. Why? Because he wasn't hit everytime he dropped back and expected to win games with just his arm on his own.

OP is accurate it was a ******** game plan and play calling display.

Agreed on Rex, hes legit.

Its a breath of fresh air to get an open honest dude just talkin smack and sayin whatever he wants. Its a sport, it should be fun and entertaining. Rex certainly makes me wanna watch more football, very cool guy.
I do like having him in the NFL, his style is better than "we did some things well... we need to assess... it happens..." or the other 50 canned responses we hear.

Timbathia
09-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Jack Del Rio going for it on 4th and Inches on the Jaguars' 40. The defense had been playing well - all you have to do is punt and then eventually get the ball back. But nooooooo, River Gambler Jack goes for it, and calls a ******* HB Dive to top off the stupidity. It fails, and the Broncos take a quick drive for a TD.

I like some of his gambles, like on the opponent's 40 or maybe even on the 50, but in your own territory is a bad idea.

In Del Rio's defense, even Broncos fans in their wildest dreams didnt think DJ Williams was capable of hitting MJD just behind the line of scrimmage and knocking him backwards. We expected him to hit after a gain of 2 yards and then get carried for another 1 or 2.

iowatreat54
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Ugh. Yep. That was even a playoff game. Just horrible. Lovie Smith needs to be fired, for sure.

This made me laugh. Well played, sir.

SFbear
09-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Lovie Smith called a timeout so that he could then call a challenge. Yes this actually happened.

BeerBaron
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Lovie Smith called a timeout so that he could then call a challenge. Yes this actually happened.

Then lose that challenge.

CC.SD
09-13-2010, 07:24 PM

This is not the rarest of things. Although i agree it's definitely stupid.

Monomach
09-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Oh, I remember it. He lost that challenge.

wogitalia
09-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Coaching in the NFL is like playing Blackjack with drunk friends that have a basic strategy card in front of them.

It's all written down, everyone who has been around football knows what they should do but despite it being proven time and time again that it works they decide to do something different. It's like basic strategy has gone out the window and no longer applies if you ask the coaches.

The last few years are just amazing with some of the calls that coaches make these days, I mean it's cool to go against the trend and all but sometimes people have always done something because it works and it doesn't need fixing.

BlindSite
09-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Coaching in the NFL is like playing Blackjack with drunk friends that have a basic strategy card in front of them.

It's all written down, everyone who has been around football knows what they should do but despite it being proven time and time again that it works they decide to do something different. It's like basic strategy has gone out the window and no longer applies if you ask the coaches.

The last few years are just amazing with some of the calls that coaches make these days, I mean it's cool to go against the trend and all but sometimes people have always done something because it works and it doesn't need fixing.

I like this analogy, sure the plan is there and they know what to do but damn if they don't **** it up anyway.

LizardState
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Also Jason Garrett is terrible all around, most cowboy fans have been screaming it for years now, at least it's noticeable. Good news is that he shouldn't end up our Head Coach at this point so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Both Garrett's & Wade Phillips' inadequacies as coaches were exposed for the world to see Sunday night. Garrett was trying to showcase their top draft pick Dez Bryant & let him get those YAC yds. he was famous for so he threw quick passes to him with no downfield pattern run .... 5 of them. The Skins had him in press coverage right at the LOS, they knew it from the 1st pass & they hit him as soon as he caught it allowing zero yds.

If your plan that looks great on paper doesn't work in reality, why keep going to it? It looked like what it was, Garrett going for the flashy risky play instead of playing to the team's strengths. The whole game was like that, the insane play before the half that became a fumble returned for a defensive TD, one high risk play that resulted in disaster after another. This is how you hand an inferior talented team a W.

The major blame for that loss is on the coaching staff IMO, not only the playcalling but also the total lack of discipline that was apparent on the Cowboys: 16 penalties, wow, that's just inexcusable.

Then there is Rex Ryan, whose pugnacious personality was arrogantly displayed in the press conferences with all that bombast about "I'm not here to win friends .... we're here to win the SB & that's it." I wonder how those doses of hubris tasted when he had to eat them Monday night, his team looked like Dallas North from the previous night, penalty after defensive penalty reflecting a poorly coached, undisciplined defense that obviously lacked practicing the fundamentals they had forgotten since HS or before. It seems every yr. there's a HC in the NFL with that "Not here to make friends" speech & a bully personality who's humiliated by an underachieving team performance on the field, Ryan got his in Wk. 1, record time!

Splat
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Give Charles the ball Todd.

stephenson86
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
My only complaint is keeping Johnson in the game and giving him garbage carries, I know he wants yards and we love him but damn keep the tread on the tyres.

tjsunstein
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Matt Moore isn't great, and because of that, the Panthers shouldn't be throwing the ball 3 times from the four yard line.

He wasn't put in a position to succeed, and he didn't. In fact, he looked quite terrible. That's the jist of that game.
Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. Let's pass within the 5.

descendency
09-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I do like having him in the NFL, his style is better than "we did some things well... we need to assess... it happens..." or the other 50 canned responses we hear.

I think I'm being mis-understood here. I like Rex Ryan as a personality. I probably like Rex Ryan the person too (the fact Tony Dungy dislikes him makes him a winner in my book). I just think his open mouth policy is going to blow up in the Jets face big time (and obviously, I kind of hope it does). Especially if they go 4-12. Then not only do you have the media (the new york media, none-the-less) breathing down your throat, you are also a major target for every NFL team because they want to shut up your loud mouth coach.

I think Rex's plan only works for a year or maybe 2 before it blows up in his face. Having said that, obviously I look like an idiot for predicting that now because they look like such a good team.

yo123
09-14-2010, 08:57 PM
The Childress supporters need to show themselves after the absolutely brutal showing Thursday. Peterson absolutely owning and the passing game isn't there yet? The obvious choice is to keep throwing to the softest piece of **** receiver in league history.

BlindSite
09-15-2010, 03:07 AM

I seriously would be perfectly happy with a 70/30 run pass split with the way Carolina is built. Those two got 1100 + each, they could get 1500 each if Fox and Davidson would wake the **** up instead of forgetting they've got two brilliant backs on the roster not getting carries.

stephenson86
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
it does make me lol, those two along with ronnie and ricky are the best running back tandems in the league and you guys just ignored them last weekend

bigbluedefense
09-15-2010, 10:02 AM
They ignored em in the 2nd half for some reason. in the first half they ran the rock a ton, but it was getting stuffed.

Chan Gailey was hilarious with the safety, then high punt that was meant to be an onside kick but was just fair caught.

Oh Chan. You silly silly goose.

yourfavestoner
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I seriously would be perfectly happy with a 70/30 run pass split with the way Carolina is built. Those two got 1100 + each, they could get 1500 each if Fox and Davidson would wake the **** up instead of forgetting they've got two brilliant backs on the roster not getting carries.

You guys have my two favorite backs in their respective draft classes, I really don't know why you don't just give them the ball on every play.

BeerBaron
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
You guys have my two favorite backs in their respective draft classes, I really don't know why you don't just give them the ball on every play.

Coaching Arrogance/Bad Coaching

PoopSandwich
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/nfl/2006/0224/photo/w_mangini_275.jpg

TimD
09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
how about the jets giving sanchez 14 pass attempts up until the last drive? how the hell does a young qb feel comfortable when the coaches wont give him a chance to throw the ball

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't understand why Todd Haley and Norv Turner kept going for it on 4th down, too aggressive at non-critical junctures, it is not a necessary risk. Football games are won using field position.

Did you ever call it! Norv did it again and went for it on 4th much to early on MNF.

LonghornsLegend
09-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Classic case of coaches over thinking the gameplan. "Well, we have the best RB tandem in the league so they obviously think were gonna run it here, let's fool them and throw a pass with our below average QB, they won't know what hit em!".

Hate when coaches fail to realize that execution and players is more important then trying to be cute and catch the other team off guard. The best running teams have always been the ones that run, run, and even when everyone in the stadium knows it's coming run again and still execute.

I'm not saying to just run the ball all game without any sense no matter the outcome, but coaches try and get cute all the time.

abaddon41_80
09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
You want to talk about bad coaching,

In Singletary’s first full season last year, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, one of the more respected veteran coaches in the league, was calling plays from the coach’s box upstairs. Raye would call plays down to offensive assistant Jason Michael, who would then send the play into the quarterback. That system worked effectively even at times when Raye struggled to find exactly the right play or say it exactly the right way.

“It seems like Jimmy calls plays from memory a lot of the time and not exactly the way it’s written down,” said one of the aforementioned sources, adding that the plays often get garbled. “He knows the plays and he knows the right thing to call, but he’s fumbling through his papers and it’s like, ‘Hey, we need to get a play called.’ ”

Michael, who worked closely with Raye, was good at filling the gaps in communication. However, one of the problems created by the Raye-Michael relationship was that it began to alienate quarterback coach Mike Johnson(notes), whose involvement in building the game plan had diminished. In addition, some players began to resent Raye’s tendency to blame them if things went wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap091410

Basileus777
09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I can't fathom how Jimmy Raye still has a job in the NFL. He was a ****** coordinator back in the 90s.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-15-2010, 05:34 PM
The worst coaching of the week was the Panthers to me. It was painful watching them force it with Matt Moore and ignore those two studs. Stewart was given no opportunity. Nothing against Goodsen (i think) either, but he was in more plays the 2nd half than the other two combined (he did the shotgun formation).

Completely ignored the run in the redzone. Unacceptable.

Brent
09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I can't fathom how Jimmy Raye still has a job in the NFL. He was a ****** coordinator back in the 90s.
he was the only coordinator they didn't have to worry about leaving for another job.

hockey619
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
The worst coaching of the week was the Panthers to me. It was painful watching them force it with Matt Moore and ignore those two studs. Stewart was given no opportunity. Nothing against Goodsen (i think) either, but he was in more plays the 2nd half than the other two combined (he did the shotgun formation).

Completely ignored the run in the redzone. Unacceptable.

Yeah as a Giants fan i really couldnt understand what they were doing. Its like getting Bradford 50 passes in a game with SJ in the backfield. The Panthers staff over thought the gameplan a lot.

BlindSite is right in saying they should be 70/30 run, they could be a really beastly team. That was their best chance against the Giants IMO, wear down our line to slow the pass rush. They didnt, and Moore payed for it. Poor dude was getting murdered out there.

Good news is though that were one more day from this thread being updated with this coming weeks' absurd calls haha

steelersfan43
09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/5/128677293776926216.jpg

I hate both of these men so much. they're both sad depressed fat guys with mustaches that have never shown any enthusiasm in their entire lives.

andy reid is an idiot for that 4th and one call with vick. the threat of a running qb is that you have to cover the pass and run, if its a designed run play there is no point.

Miaoww
09-16-2010, 04:26 AM
We made Moore like a JV QB. Now with enough film on him our scouts could break him down as soon as possible since the schedules comes out so early. So I am sure we had a comprehensive scouting report on him. I thought all the hits took their toll on poor Matt Moore.

I think you did us a favour. The sooner the Clausen era can start in Carolina the better.

TACKLE
09-16-2010, 04:36 AM
I think you did us a favour. The sooner the Clausen era can start in Carolina the better.

hahahahahaha. you can't be serious.

Miaoww
09-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Hey c'mon, I've had to watch Jacory Harris and Jake Delhomme for the last two years. I'm dying to watch a good QB start for one of my teams.

TACKLE
09-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Hey c'mon, I've had to watch Jacory Harris and Jake Delhomme for the last two years. I'm dying to watch a good QB start for one of my teams.

And you're counting on Jimmy Clausen to be that good starting QB? I'm a better quarterback than Jimmy Clausen.

And WTF is wrong with Jacory? He's still one of the top QB's in the nation. He just has a tendency to try to force the big play in big games. Also against OSU, a couple of the INT's were his WR's fault anyways. I'd rather have a "**** it. I'm going deep" passer than a guy who play like he's afraid to make a mistake.

Miaoww
09-16-2010, 05:16 AM
What's he up to, 20 interceptions in the last 11 games? Quality, quality player(!)

He has Rex Grossman's attitude without Rex Grossman's arm. With the skill players he has around him his play is inexcusable.

As for your assessment of Clausen. Well that's just laughable.

TACKLE
09-16-2010, 05:24 AM
What's he up to, 20 interceptions in the last 11 games? Quality, quality player(!)

He has Rex Grossman's attitude without Rex Grossman's arm. With the skill players he has around him his play is inexcusable.

You no longer have the privilege of calling yourself a Canes fan on this board anymore. You don't have to be an ignorant homer who blindly defends the players on his team but now you're just hating on your team.

Also, maybe Jimmy Clausen is a better QB than me, but I'm definitely a better leader.

Addict
09-16-2010, 05:38 AM

so bascially he says "F**K it I'm goin' deep" without actually having the arm to go deep?

That seems ill-advised.

wicket
09-16-2010, 06:09 AM
so bascially he says "F**K it I'm goin' deep" without actually having the arm to go deep?

That seems ill-advised.

he has the arm to go deep a few times a game but he has to work the coverage to set the deep play up and vice versa. Jacory has just started slinging it around like mallett almost

Sniper
09-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Why not just re-name this "The Andy Reid Thread"?

EvilNixon
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Mario Henderson is the starting left tackle for my team when he is a back up guard, so what do we do? Call 7 step drops 3 straight plays and Campbell is sacked twice.

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Oakland+Raiders+Press+Conference+L4XwxVzV6w2l.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/944/209/81972545.jpg.7303_crop_340x234.jpg?1272340570

BeerBaron
09-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Why not just re-name this "The Andy Reid Thread"?

Because Lovie Smith still has a job in this league.

Punisher
09-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Because Lovie Smith still has a job in this league.

Josh McDaniels and Lane Kiffin are my teams head coaches. Is there a more hated/stubborn duo than those two?

Addict
09-16-2010, 03:06 PM
McDaniels is quickly running out of Brady-cred. soon he'll be another case that proves that NE co÷rdinators aren't worth jack outside NE.

Splat
09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Give Charles the ball Todd.

Rinse lather repeat.

tjsunstein
09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Keep Childress around.

hockey619
09-19-2010, 11:00 PM
This sunday i saw the least amount of football ive seen on a sunday in years. a sad sad day.

so people fill me in, what bad calls did we see this week? anything mindblowingly awful?

really feelin like i missed out =(

AHungryWalrus
09-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Rinse lather repeat.

hahahahaha

Jets should NEVER have traded Thomas Jones!

Timbathia
09-19-2010, 11:16 PM
McDaniels is quickly running out of Brady-cred. soon he'll be another case that proves that NE co÷rdinators aren't worth jack outside NE.

McDaniels cred as far as running an offense is just fine. There were many in here that thought getting rid of Cutler and Marshall was the end for Denver, but Orton seems to move the ball pretty easy throwing it to Gaffney, Brandon Lloyd, blah, blah, whoever. Not bad considering his o-line right now is two rookies and two journey-man guards (that arent much good).

vidae
09-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey Haley and Weis, why not give the ball to your best offensive weapon? That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, would it?

djp
09-19-2010, 11:27 PM
2 Childress gems today

1) Goes for it on 4th and 2 from the Dolphins 26 on the opening drive of the game. Always take points inside the 30 on your opening drive. ALWAYS.

2) 4th and goal from the 1 and we ran a stretch play, allowing the defense to converge on Peterson and not allow him to go anywhere. The stretch play was also to the weaker side of the offensive line.

SuperMcGee
09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I would say that Fred Jackson, who has his jersey currently hanging in the HOF for his accomplishments last year, having only 15 touches on the young season is bad coaching, but what do I know? The team looks amazing.

Splat
09-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Jets should NEVER have traded Thomas Jones!

They didn't.

AHungryWalrus
09-20-2010, 08:59 AM
They didn't.

We traded his salary for LT's.

I know what you mean. That was a brain fart. I just usually look at it as a trade since Jones leaving was what brought LT in.