PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barkley - #1 Overall 2012/2013

dregolll
09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I think Matt Barkley is going to be the #1 overall pick in one of those drafts. I really like him and he has shown that he can play at a very high level. He has everything you look for in a QB prospect, size, arm, mind and he is poised. I was watching the game against Virginia and loved the way he was side stepping the oncoming rush and firing strikes down field. IMHO, he is better than Andrew Luck, he reminds me of a young Troy Aikman. He will be the #1 pick in either of those drafts. That's just my opinion.

tjsunstein
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I like Andrew Luck more than Barkley if they decide to come out together. Barkley as a Junior and Luck as a RS Junior.

jrdrylie
09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
They are both Sophomores this year, Luck being a Redshirt.

Saints-Tigers
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Andrew Luck has better tools and is a better player.

Barkley does look nice now, last year he seemed liek a product of USC hype, looks like he's progressing well though.

DeathbyStat
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
1.Luck

2.Barkley

3.Ryan Katz a dark horse if he keep progressing love his arm, and Oregon state has developed some good Qbs in recent years

keylime_5
09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I have a feeling Luck comes out not this season but next (though it could be this season if he has a great year and Harbaugh leaves), and that Barkley sticks around for all 4 years considering he can't go to a bowl until his senior year. I love Barkley as an NFL prospect, he's gonna be amazing by the time he leaves USC.

wicket
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Dayne Crist will be #1 overall in 2013 ;)

SickwithIt1010
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I think the Luck will end up leaving this year. I think there will be too much talk and too much hype for him to stay. In the end he could very well push Locker for the number 1 spot this year IMO.

I think that if Luck and Barkley were to come out next year together I think Luck would have the edge, but not by much. I think Barkley could very well be number 1 if he came out his senior year.

BuddyCHRIST
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
He'll be in the discussion, but I do prefer Luck as well.

Babylon
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Dayne Crist will be #1 overall in 2013 ;)

Whoa Amber alert, or is that homer alert.

I think right now you could throw a blanket over Garrett Gilbert (Texas) Barkely (USC) and Crist (Notre Dame) but probably too early to annoint either of those 3 as the best.

Luck, Mallett and Locker (Sr.) will all be in this years draft i believe.

BeerBaron
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Leinart.....Cassell.....Sanchez.....

Forgive me if I'm a little wary of USC QBs. The next one could always be the different one, and maybe that's Barkley, but I'm a more than a little wary right now.

Babylon
09-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Forgive me if I'm a little wary of USC QBs. The next one could always be the different one, and maybe that's Barkley, but I'm a more than a little wary right now.

Might as well throw in John David Booty because he was allworld out of highschool. Of course there is nothing wrong with Carson Palmer so it's hard to lump everyone from a certain school. Who did Georgia ever turn out at the QB position before Stafford came along?

BeerBaron
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Might as well throw in John David Booty because he was allworld out of highschool. Of course there is nothing wrong with Carson Palmer so it's hard to lump everyone from a certain school. Who did Georgia ever turn out at the QB position before Stafford came along?

Palmer was from the pre-Carroll era and while he generally hasn't been bad, he hasn't really been great either.

QBs brought in during the Carroll era QBs are currently 0-2 in the pros, with Cassel all but there and Sanchez not headed in the right direction.

Babylon
09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Palmer was from the pre-Carroll era and while he generally hasn't been bad, he hasn't really been great either.

QBs brought in during the Carroll era QBs are currently 0-2 in the pros, with Cassel all but there and Sanchez not headed in the right direction.

I believe Palmer had 2 years under Carroll and Sarkisian.

BeerBaron
09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I believe Palmer had 2 years under Carroll and Sarkisian.

He wasn't recruited by Carroll and he had Chow as his OC, for his senior year alone I believe.

Even if we count Palmer, it's still looking like 1 out of 5 might be an average starting NFL QB.

FUNBUNCHER
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM

IMO Barkley is a superior prospect than all those guys combined, the number one reason being that Barkley has a cannon for an arm.

wicket
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Whoa Amber alert, or is that homer alert.

I think right now you could throw a blanket over Garrett Gilbert (Texas) Barkely (USC) and Crist (Notre Dame) but probably too early to annoint either of those 3 as the best.

Luck, Mallett and Locker (Sr.) will all be in this years draft i believe.

Homer alert is the correct phrase ;), Crist has GREAT tools and good intangibles but 0 touch at the moment

Babylon
09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Homer alert is the correct phrase ;), Crist has GREAT tools and good intangibles but 0 touch at the moment

That last play was terribly overthrown but he may have been a little cuckoo at that point.

wicket
09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
That last play was terribly overthrown but he may have been a little cuckoo at that point.

that wasnt what I was thinking about. He looked for Floyd twice, late in the Purdue game and both throws lacked the touch needed.

But still even on that last play he showed better touch than Montana on the last play of the first half

soybean
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM

what a stupid comment. This is a COMPLETELY different coaching staff. Who the hell cares who brought who in?

BeerBaron
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
what a stupid comment. This is a COMPLETELY different coaching staff. Who the hell cares who brought who in?

Barkley...recruited by Carroll, spent year one under Carroll, spending year 2 and 3 under a Carroll disciple who was there for parts of the previous USC failure QBs. Not what I'd define as "Completely" different at all.

In addition...I said that Barkley could break this streak. But there isn't a chance in hell I'm anointing him before he proves otherwise based on the program history.

wicket
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM

leinart is a high picked qb who busted, those happen, cassell was a guy who never started a game in college and sanchez has yet to bust. Getting a guy far enough to become a starting QB without playing in college is a good sign for USC qbs iyam.

Babylon
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
that wasnt what I was thinking about. He looked for Floyd twice, late in the Purdue game and both throws lacked the touch needed.

But still even on that last play he showed better touch than Montana on the last play of the first half

Montana doesnt look any good to me, let's hope Nick up in Seattle is the best of that brood. I think Crist is going to be pretty good and on a sidenote Floyd looks a step slow to me.

Cicero
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Name a school that consistently puts out 1st round QBs who become franchize QBs.

Hint: There aren't any.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Name a school who consistently has its pick of the litter at the pro-style QB position and turns them into guys who underperform their expectations

Hint: There is one

09-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Name a school who consistently has its pick of the litter at the pro-style QB position and turns them into guys who underperform their expectations

Hint: There is one

USC has not had a QB of this talent possibly ever. There, I said it. So let's stop drawing linkages to the performances of past guys. He is a different talent, simple as that. You don't start a season as a true frosh in these parts without sublime skills. His knowledge and understanding of the game is vastly superior to those "underachievers".

Paranoidmoonduck
09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't see anything that would place Barkley ahead of Palmer. Palmer started as a true freshman (granted, on a much less prestigious USC squad) and easily had the athleticism and arm of Barkley. Then again, Palmer was also one of the best QB prospects of the last decade, so there you go.

FUNBUNCHER
09-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Palmer sucked until Norm Chow arrived at USC to coach him his final season.
At this early date, Barkley is the better college player.

Addict
09-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Am I alone in thinking Luck won't be declaring this year?

FUNBUNCHER
09-15-2010, 09:05 AM
I doubt Luck leaves Stanford after starting only two years in college. QBs are the last players who should ever leave before their college eligibility is up.

Smart kid, think he knows he needs to play in 2011 for the Cardinal to solidify his chances of developing into a franchise QB at the next level.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
USC has not had a QB of this talent possibly ever. There, I said it. So let's stop drawing linkages to the performances of past guys. He is a different talent, simple as that. You don't start a season as a true frosh in these parts without sublime skills. His knowledge and understanding of the game is vastly superior to those "underachievers".

Actually, given what I saw from Aaron Corp I think Barkley starting last year had as much to do with the guys already there as it did the guy who just got there