PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Rookie Watch

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

yaga
09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
How did your teams rookies perform in week 1?

The Texans top pick Kareem Jackson is the only Texans rookie with significant playing time this week. Against the Colts, 4 solo tackes and was average in pass coverage against Peyton. Not a great 1st game, but not bad considering the competition.

terribletowel39
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Pouncey is the next great first round center. It is simply amazing how he can get that line working as well as he can already.

Babylon
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Seattle

Earl Thomas looked real good and he's looking better than a guy who i was stumping for, Taylor Mays (only saw action on special teams).

Golden Tate is still learning the ropes.

Russell Okung missing a few weeks with a high ankle sprain but he's going to be a good one.

yourfavestoner
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/573439/gyi0061605973.jpg

This picture shows everything that is right in the world. Stuffed Tebow for a one yard gain and got a sack on the very next play.

Gene Smith tells draftniks worldwide to suck his dick.

A Perfect Score
09-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm still so very happy that I called Alualu going in the first round. Muahaha.

But yeah, Ravens played without Kindle or Cody last night. But from my own observations of other teams, some of what I came away with...

- Devin McCourty is going to be a stud. He looked great on Sunday.

- Kyle Wilson got abused by Boldin, but he showed some promise and alot of his mistakes are on Rex Ryan. Leaving a rookie in single coverage with no help over the top is never a good idea, especially on a receiver like Boldin.

Scotty D
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Suh- Got a sack but it was chasing Cutler out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. Stopping the Bears four times on the one yard line was awesome.

Best - Two touchdowns but only 20 yards on the ground? Looked completely different from preseason, seemed slow.

Randy Phillips - picked up a couple of tackles

Aaron Berry - Caught a INT off a tip drill and then went down with a shoulder injury (IR). This was Mayhew's second UDFA gem of the draft and it really sucked to see him out for the year.

Bengals78
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Round 1 - Jermaine Gresham: Blocking is a work in progress but <3 TD machine in the making.

Round 2 - Carlos Dunlap: Did not play.

Round 3 - Jordan Shipley: 5 rec 82 yards.

Round 3 - Brandon Ghee: Nothing.

Round 4 - Geno Atkins: No stats but did have one of our 2 QB pressures. FML.

wonderbredd24
09-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Joe Haden continues to show that he is a good tackler and has a knack for breaking up passes with his long arms, but he did get beat for a TD late while on an island

TJ Ward just hits people and hits people hard. He put an incredible hit on Josh Freeman on the pass that was intercepted Mike Adams. He's also a missile on special teams.

Shawn Lauvao is supposed to be the starting right guard, but missed the game due to an ankle injury

jrdrylie
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Round- Jay Cutler Trade

3rd Round- Major Wright: Active but compiled no stats.

4th Round- Corey Wooten: Inactive

5th Round- Josh Moore: Inactive

6th Round- Dan LeFevour: Nothing

7th Round- J'Marcus Webb: Inactive

So long story short, nothing at all. On the bright side, Jay Cutler looked pretty good, and we gave up our 1st rounder to get him. Does that count?

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
AFC Rookie of the Week: KC Chiefs Mr. Do Everything Sexter McCluster

Game breaking and winning 94 yd punt return TD.

Javier Arenas looked very good as another return man, almost breaking another punt return TD, and decent as a nickle CB

Eric Berry looked like a rookie in coverage. Granted it was his first game, it was national tv and he was defending the best TE in football. He made a couple really good tackles and was always around the ball. He will learn from this and only get better.

Moeaki had 3 Rec for 21 Yds and an important TD on a play action pass.

The Chiefs probably had the most productive rookies in Week 1.

Don Vito
09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez each made big plays for the Pats. McCourty was on the field a lot and didn't make any big plays, but didn't look terrible. Jermaine Cunningham was in there a bit but didn't do anything special.

As for the future OROY and DROY, Dexter McCluster and Greg Hardy, well yeah that pretty much says it all.

BeerBaron
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Round- Jay Cutler Trade

3rd Round- Major Wright: Active but compiled no stats.

4th Round- Corey Wooten: Inactive

5th Round- Josh Moore: Inactive

6th Round- Dan LeFevour: Nothing

7th Round- J'Marcus Webb: Inactive

So long story short, nothing at all. On the bright side, Jay Cutler looked pretty good, and we gave up our 1st rounder to get him. Does that count?

Wright got some work as a nickel safety in passing situations I believe. Otherwise....nothing from the rookies.

SuperMcGee
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Spiller was uninspiring. Bobbled some passes, had no room to run and couldn't make anything out of it. Could've been more decisive.

Arthur Moats and Donald Jones looked decent in special teams coverage.

David Nelson could probably end up as our #2 receiver, but there wasn't anything really exciting about his performance.

I never noticed Troup or Carrington. Marcus Easley and Danny Batten are on IR. Levi Brown and Kyle Calloway were cut. Ed Wang isn't in full playing shape yet.

tjsunstein
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Sam Shields and Morgan Burnett were both O.K.

vidae
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Javier Arenas looked very good as another return man, almost breaking another punt return TD, and decent as a nickle CB

Eric Berry looked like a rookie in coverage. Granted it was his first game, it was national tv and he was defending the best TE in football. He made a couple really good tackles and was always around the ball. He will learn from this and only get better.

I agree with all of this.

djp
09-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Our top 3 picks were inactive for the Vikings, ha.

gpngc
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Seattle

Earl Thomas looked real good and he's looking better than a guy who i was stumping for, Taylor Mays (only saw action on special teams).

Golden Tate is still learning the ropes.

Russell Okung missing a few weeks with a high ankle sprain but he's going to be a good one.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in this post.

You have omitted the steal of the 2010 NFL draft for what reason?

DEXTER ******* DAVIS played a bunch of snaps on defense and did what he's done all camp and preseason. He had three solo tackles, including one for a loss, and his first career NFL sack.

And Kam Chancellor played a little too. Like Davis, he looked spectacular at times in preseason too and made at least one nice play that I saw in week one. He should take over for Milloy by the start of next season at the latest.

It is quite possible that the Seahawks will get legitimate contributions from 8 of their 9 draft picks as early as this season. And Jameson Konz will be a STAR when he returns next year (IR).

Russell Okung - starting LT as soon as he's healthy.
Earl Thomas - all-pro caliber safety very soon.
Walter Thurmond - Dime back, will be nickel very soon.
E.J. Wilson - rotational lineman who made the roster.
Kam Chancellor - 3rd safety who has looked great so far.
Anthony McCoy - 3rd TE who has lived up to the hype after he was underdrafted due to character concerns.
Dexter Davis - Never understood how he fell to the 7th round. He's got great size and athleticism and has parlayed that into 4 sacks in about 10 quarters of NFL action. Beast.
Golden Tate - not ready yet, which is a bit alarming considering his competition, but we all know he's got the talent.

Go_Eagles77
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Brandon Graham was underwhelming. Was solid in run support but wasn't getting much pressure and on one play he was unblocked and had a free shot on Rodgers and completely whiffed.

Nate Allen got a pick and had 5 tackles, nothing spectacular but just very solid in both run support and pass coverage and should be in contention for defensive rookie of the week.

Of the 10 other rookies on the team no one really contributed much other than on special teams.

V.I.P
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Gerald McCoy show cased solid pash rush & had a forced fumble.

Mike Williams was #2 on Sports Center top 10 plays, was #1 on top 5 catches, and is also a nominee for rookie of the week on NFL.com !

SchizophrenicBatman
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
2 Jimmy Clausen - Came on for 2 plays, looked just as bad as Matt Moore
3 Brandon LaFell - Started the game, did nothing. Dwyane Jarrett looked better
3 Armanti Edwards - Inactive
4 Eric Norwood - Inactive
6 Greg Hardy - BEAST. Forced fumble and a blocked punt. Even played some DT. Can you say DROTY?
6 David Gettis - Inactive
6 Jordan Pugh - Looked solid on ST. May get some starts at safety this year since Charles Godfey sucks, INTs aside
6 Tony Pike - Inactive
7 RJ Stanford - Practice Squad
7 Robert McClain - Didn't notice him

nepg
09-14-2010, 05:26 PM
McCourtey took away half the field against the Bengals.

Gronk got a nice TD grab and solid blocking.

Hernandez had a big catch and should've had a TD on another one.

Spikes looked really good doing everything in their ILB platoon.

JRTPlaya21
09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Well uh Trent Williams blocked and we had a pocket on occasions. I almost cried.

abaddon41_80
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
You might be getting ahead of yourself, stoner. Alualu was all but invisible outside of those couple of plays you mentioned, which weren't even really good plays on his part, and was easily handled one on one for most of the game. iirc he wasn't even blocked on either the sack or that tackle you posted a pic of, don't remember which one.

49ers

Anthony Davis - God I hope he doesn't turn into Kwame Harris v2 but with a false start and regularly getting beat around the corner one on one I am not getting my hopes up

Mike Iupati - Got good push in the running game, for the most part, but was left not blocking anyone on a few of the Seahawks blitzes. Could have played better but looked good for a rookie

scottyboy
09-14-2010, 05:47 PM
JPP was off sides on a kick off... *sigh*

and uhm, obvi McCourty was teh sex, didn't get to watch Davis how ever, damn west coast

Splat
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Dexter McCluster is who we thought he was!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2cf2ng9.jpg

Marino13
09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Jared Odrick-Got solid pressure and a TFL before getting a deep bone bruise in his leg. He'll be a good one.

Koa Misi-Got a nice sack on Edwards, and looked pretty good overall, should be a starter for a long time.

Jon Jerry- Solid at RG, again could be a long time starter, but who knows.

AJ Edds-Tore his ACL first day of camp

Nolan Carrol-I think he returned one kick, otherwise the dime back and wasn't really noticeable.

Reshad Jones-Looked good on ST during preseason, dunno if he played or not

Chris McCoy-Practice Squad

Austin Spitler-Practice Squad

Micah Johnson- After a great camp and preseason, don't think he played.

09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I thought this was a great read.

Sam Bradford

At first glance, you might say that Bradford had a pretty good game for the Rams. He completed 32 of 55 passes for 253 yards and a TD. Not bad for a first game in the NFL. But on the downside, he also threw three interceptions. And two of those came in the last two minutes of the game when the Rams had a chance to win the game.

I liked many of the things Bradford did. He showed poise and confidence throughout the game. He did not seem to get rattled when things went wrong. He can set up quickly, find an open receiver and get the ball out of his hand quickly. He throws a tight spiral and his accuracy was adequate. At the end of the first half, he threw a nice deep ball to Mark Clayton to set up a score. He also showed good ability to move around in the pocket and throws the ball well on the run.

On the downside, he did force some balls by throwing into coverage. He also had two opportunities in the last four minutes of the game to lead the Rams to victory and didnít get it done. Both drives ended in interceptions, one of which was in the red zone where he did not read the safety.

I have no doubt that Bradford will be a very good quarterback in the league. He will be able to build on Sundayís experience, but the bottom line is he had two chances to win the game and he didnít do it. He gets a solid C+ for Sunday.

Rodger Saffold

Saffold was the Rams second-round pick. He starts at left tackle and except for a few plays he played a strong game. Saffold has ideal size for a left tackle at 6-4Ĺ and 315 pounds with long arms. He gets off the ball quickly. He shows very good snap on contact and showed good ability to get movement with his run blocks.

I like his aggressive demeanor. He consistently looks for second people to hit and he is a good finisher. In pass protection, he has a strong punch and good mirror skills. He plays with a good base and has excellent balance and knee bend. He has quick hands and gets his hands on his opponent quickly. Learning to use his hands is one of the hardest things a rookie lineman has to do and Saffold does a good job.

Heís strong in the upper body and has good hand placement. He has good lateral agility and because he has top balance and quickness he recovers really well.
What I didnít like was he got beat by the same move twice. Though he didnít give up a sack, he gave up pressure and hits on the quarterback. He got beat on an outside/in move by the defensive end ó where his opponent takes a quick step to the outside then comes back to the inside across the face of the offensive tackle. Saffold did not position himself well enough to stop this move and Bradford got hit both times.

Overall, like Bradford, Saffold will be a very good pro. As he gains experience he will not make the same mistakes. The important thing is he is a very competitive player. He gets a solid A- for the game.

Ndamukong Suh

Suh, who was the second overall pick in the draft, started and played just about every snap of the game. From a stats point of view, he was just average. He had one tackle, one assist and one sack. I also counted three pressures on the quarterback. There are things he does that do not show up on the stat sheet, however. He occupies blockers and he gets penetration to disrupt plays.

Suh has great size. Heís about 6-4 and plays at around 310 pounds and is extremely strong. One pro scouting director told me he has never seen a rookie come into the league with as much natural strength as Suh. He has good snap reaction with a quick first step.

His hand use is inconsistent. He doesnít have real quick hands and there were times when he was slow to get off blocks. He plays low and uses his strength. I thought his instincts were average in this game. There were times when he lost sight of the ball or just didnít know where the ball was. He is not a natural pass rusher. He gets a push but because he lacks top hand use he doesnít disengage from the blocker quick enough to get to the quarterback. With experience he will get much better. I like his motor. He plays hard and he runs to the ball.

Overall he deserves a B+. There are things he has to do better, and he will. He has to make more plays.

Jahvid Best

Best was the second first-round pick of the Lions. Because 2009 leading rusher Kevin Smith is not recovered enough from surgery to play, Best started and played most of the game. Best is not a big guy. Heís 5-10 and 195Ė200 pounds. Heís small and plays small. He is best suited to be a rotational back, not an every down back. Because of his lack of size he will wear down if he has to carry the ball too much.

Best started the game well and had 2 touchdowns in the first half but he finished with 14 carries for 20 yards and five catches for 16 yards. When quarterback Matthew Stafford went down with a shoulder injury and backup Shaun Hill struggled throwing the ball, the Bears were able to play much tighter in run situations. Best needs space to be effective and had none in the second half. He is not a power guy and will never be able to move the pile. On just about every carry Sunday, Best went down with the first hit. I saw no yards after contact.

As a receiver, Best has excellent hands and can get open. His receiving opportunities were limited because Stafford was injured. Because of his speed and quicks he can be dangerous in the open field, we just werenít able to see it in this game.

He struggles in pass protection, does not get good position and he lacks power. But on the positive side, he shows a willingness to block.

Overall, I canít give Jahvid more than a C for the game. Just not enough production. I think that when Smith gets back on the field you will see Best used more as a complimentary back and he will be much more productive. This player can be a weapon when used in the right way.

Link (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-1-rookie-report-card.html)

gpngc
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
^ I agree with most of what the Bradford stuff says but the bottom line is the guy completed 32 passes with a terrible supporting cast in his first NFL action AND gave his team a chance to win the game.

If I was a Rams fan I would be ecstatic with what I saw. Give him a #1 WR and Avery and watch out - he showed a stronger arm than I remember as well.

The end result isn't as important as the experience, and Sam Bradford is only going to get better...

TitanHope
09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Derrick Morgan had 1 Sack, 1 QB Pressure, and 1 PD, and showed more explosion than he displayed at GaTech. He missed most of the preseason and was hampered throughout training camp, so hopefully he improves as the season goes on. Rest of the rooks were on ST's.

Here's an article over all the 32 1st RD'ers by FanHouse:

How 2010 First-Round Picks Fared in Their NFL Debuts - FanHouse (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/14/how-2010-first-round-picks-fared-in-their-nfl-debuts/)

Jakey
09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Maurkice Pouncey is teh secks. True story.

mellojello
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
SD fans - how would you rate Matthews? I know he looked decent on the stat sheet, but I wasn't impressed. Him coughing up the rock basically cost SD the game, imo. Maybe it was just rookie jitters, but I generally don't have much patience for RB's that do that.

Me Likey Rookies
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Bucs:

DT Gerald McCoy showed off his versatility playing UT, LDE, and RDE in the 4-3 and also DE in the 3-3-5. On the first drive of the game, McCoy had a quick jump into the backfield to tackle Harrison for a loss. He also almost had a sack on which Delhomme flipped it out last second for a 1 yard loss. His ability to play DE was huge in stopping the Browns ground game and we will see more of that this week against the Panthers.

DT Brian Price played a ton and was most impressive pass rushing from the nose tackle position in the 3-3-5 late in the game. Like most people on here know, Price is a firecracker out of his stance. McCoy, Price, and (the underrated) Roy Miller make this interior defensive line one of the best and most explosive in the entire league.

WR Mike Williams looks like a first round pick. His TD catch was amazing and he should have had another in the 4th quarter but Freeman overthrew him. His ball skills and concentration are incredible.

WR Arrelious Benn played a bit on offense but had no catches. He did however have a great game on special teams as a gunner.

CB Myron Lewis.. i have no idea if he played. Elbert Mack was out there so Lewis was the 4th CB and Cleveland does not spread the field.

Watch out for this Bucs defense, especially with Aqib Talib back this week.

BoneKrusher
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

this.

the guy was electric as expected.

gpngc
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
WR Mike Williams looks like a first round pick. His TD catch was amazing and he should have had another in the 4th quarter but Freeman overthrew him. His ball skills and concentration are incredible.

I saw the overthrow and it was pretty disturbing.

The TD also would have been a lot smoother had Williams been led. The ball was behind him so he had to pull that Jurevicius act.

I root for Freeman but he's got to be more accurate.

But I definitely agree - Williams plays like a first round pick. It's just so funny that Benn was drafted ahead of him...

Me Likey Rookies
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I love how Freeman came back 2 plays later to throw a perfect TD pass to Spurlock on the go-route.

His accuracy isnt perfect but he still has a broken thumb and missed almost all of preseason. He should get better and better.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Rolando McClain
He's looked pretty good as the immediate starter. You could tell his head was swimming a bit in the preseason, as he was relied upon to make every single defensive call in the huddle and audible for the front seven, but he's been pretty solid. He's not getting off blocks as well as some would like, but he's still miles ahead of Morrison in that regard. He made a couple really good plays in the hole against the Titans and gave Chris Johnson a really good shot at one point. He's not flowing yet, but I expect that will change once he feels comfortable.

Lamarr Houston
He was pretty invisible in week 1, but he's shown enough flashes that I'm pretty far from worried. Matching up against Stewart was a tough call for a rookie. With Scott back at DE, Houston is going to lose some playing time to the less explosive but much more disciplined Shaugnessy (in the base defense anyway, Houston is still our nickel 3-tech), but in general I've been really happy with the pick.

Jared Veldheer
He hasn't been perfect, but I'll be damned if I didn't wish we had two of him. He both managed to be both our best LT and C in the preseason and camp. He's performed well above expectations considering the jump in competition from Hillsdale to the NFL. My only hope is that Oakland can find some interior line help so that Veldheer can replace Henderson on the blind side.

Bruce Campbell
He was taking almost all his snaps at RG since the tackle positions were crowded in camp, but considering how the tackles have performed I'm inclined to question Tom Cable, something I almost never do when it comes to offensive linemen. If he makes a major contribution, it'll be in 2011, but that was sort of expected. We'll have to wait and see.

Jacoby Ford
He hasn't managed to get the return job away from Figurs (who's looked worthless in every competitive snap) and hasn't managed to get snaps in an offense that needs receivers. I heard positive things about him during camp, but nothing that's translated over. With any luck the team will drop whatever obsession they have with Figurs and Ford will be returning kickoffs and punts by mid-season.

Walter McFadden
He had a good preseason and make the final roster, but he's in a crowded position. There were 4-5 players all competing for the spot opposite Asomugha, and McFadden came in third at best (behind two established players though). He's essentially our 4th corner, which I'm pretty happy with.

Travis Goethel
Is basically the last-string linebacker on the team, but made the final 53. He played convincing MLB in the preseason, which was a surprise considering it wasn't even his college spot, and he showed some things on special teams. I basically expect him to be Ricky Brown 2.0 when Brown leaves the team, which is to say he'll be a multi-use linebacker who can play every spot and do special teams action.

Jeremy Ware
Great 7th round pick. He did a great job at both safety and corner in the preseason and showed some things on special teams. He made the roster without much argument, which is saying something considering the crowd in the defensive backfield.

Stevie Brown
Again, a great 7th round pick. Was an huge success at safety considering he played mostly linebacker in college, made a couple interceptions in the preseason, and was a presence on the punt coverage team. Was waived and then put on the practice squad, but allegedly was only cut because Al Davis refused to have him make the roster over Mike Mitchell. I think Brown could wind up being one of the better picks from a good draft class if he gets a shot with this team.

At first there was an outpouring of positive thoughts on the Raider draft class, then some people retracted from that, but I'm even happier with it now than I was in April. Almost every player made the final 53 (and Brown should have) and all look like contributors down the line. I love this crop of rookies.

Brent
09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
andre davis looked like ******* flozell adams

iupati looked like a goddamn bulldozer

BlindSite
09-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Brandon LaFell looked a little overwhelmed in his first start, but Greg Hardy looks great, blocked punt for a safety, few tackles for loss as well. Kid should be starting.

Werowance
09-15-2010, 03:28 AM
The Eagles have 13 rookies on their roster, only 2 of them saw any significant time.

Brandon Graham while technically being the starter is still part of a rotation, he rotated with Jaqua Parker and Antwan Barnes but there were a few times where Brandon Graham got pressure, he just needs to convert his pressures into sacks.

Nate Allen looked amazing, you would've never thought he was a rookie. The guy made clutch plays (a game changing INT, a TD saving tackle and a first down saving tackle) and in total he racked up 5 tackles, 1 pass defended and 1 interception. Nate Allen does indeed look like "The Golden Child" at this point, he is living up to his USF nickname.

Other notes, Clay Harbor is active, mean, physical and raw, surprise! A guy from some slapdick football school in Indiana is raw and undisciplined, who knew? The good things are that if he fails it certainly won't be from lack of effort and he has flashed ability. Once this guy gets the technique down there should be nothing stopping him from being a very good blocking TE.

Whenever you saw the Eagles in a goal-line set you usually saw Riley Cooper playing as the split end (or X receiver) which is surprising considering he is a fifth round rookie and he is already seeing very important snaps. I believe he ran a fade every time, if my memory serves me correctly. Oh and he couldn't get off blocks on special teams.

Other than that the Eagles mostly relied on veteran players.

Addict
09-15-2010, 05:20 AM

let's crown his ass then.

jsagan77
09-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Trent Williams did a great job against Ware with absolutely no help. He gave up 1 sack, but that's still pretty good. Williams also looked like Walter Jones run blocking out there driving a defender 10 yards down field and out of bounds. Kids gonna be an animal.

wogitalia
09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Ummm... not much to report for the Vikes... If we had a noteworthy rookie playing I sure didn't notice anything they did but I'm pretty sure we didn't have any playing...

AHungryWalrus
09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Jets-

Wilson got beat a lot and penalized a lot, but like it has been said, he was left one on one against people like Boldin and Housh. He made a few nice plays, at least.

Ducasse and McKnight were inactive. McKnight looks like crap. Complete crap. Ducasse I'm not so worried about, didn't think he would have a great year this year, his future is RT next year for Woody.

John Connor didn't get that many snaps. Little disappointed. Sad when a FB looks to have the most impact of your rookies...

bigbluedefense
09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
JPP - Made a nice tackle on ST, and came in on 3rd and long when we came in with 4 DEs. He didn't really generate any pressure during his few snaps, he'd just bullrush his OT. Still very raw.

Joseph - inactive. beasting in preseason. he should see some significant time this year.

Chad Jones - yeah......

Dillard - inactive bc of a hammy. looked good in PS, but looks to be one of those solid but will never be great kind of players

Petrus - Didn't play, but looked great in PS. He'll start in our lineup somewhere eventually

Tracy - IR

Dodge - Sucks. Get him out of here. No point in trying to develop a punter when you can replace them with a guy off the streets.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Not only is Sexter going to be AFC ROTW, but today he was named co-AFC POTW for his play on MNF. Pure Sexter! 1min 16sec is my fav part. It's where the Charger fans say their guy "slipped". Looks to me like Sexter jukes him and he had to fall down and pick up his jock strap, IMO

jmXRGoAbRws

keylime_5
09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
The deep safety class is already starting to show I think. Nate Allen and TJ Ward were back to back picks in round two and both looked really good in their first career games I thought. Eric Berry did single handedly give up two touchdown passes against San Diego, but those were both mental errors from being out of position and a problem that will get fixed with experience.

soybean
09-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't want to "rain" on your parade (no pun intended) but it was raining, It's really hard for defenders to play up to par when the field is wet and slippery.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't want to "rain" on your parade (no pun intended) but it was raining, It's really hard for defenders to play up to par when the field is wet and slippery.

it was just as slippery for the guy making the cut.

umphrey
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Frank ZOMBO got a sack!
He didn't play much though.

Morgan Burnett must have been great in coverage because they didn't throw at him. Inconsistent tackler.

UDFA Sam Shields is an extremely athletic corner playing nickel who was pretty good in coverage but if you run a decent route he'll lose 3 steps on you. That happened on a TD to Maclin I believe. Maybe like a 15 yard route, sell the fade, then run a post, Shields didn't realize he was running a post until he caught the football.

lowlife
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
I <3 Mike Williams.

McCoy is so damn strong. He holds the point and stays balanced.

21ST
09-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Trent Williams did an ok job he gave up a sack to Ware but he was 1 on 1 with him the whole game

mellojello
09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
OROY = Jahvid Best.

95% of teams will be sorry they passed on him in the draft.

Bengals78
09-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Jordan Shipley <3
Geno Atkins <3
Jermaine Gresham <3

umphrey
09-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Clifton struggled, has knee swelling. Bulaga might be our starting LT going forward.

Morgan Burnett with an int.

Sam Shields played well with a big 3rd and 5 coverage play.

V.I.P
09-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Mike Williams - 2 Catches - 58 Yards - 1 TD

McCoy occupied all the double teams, and the rest of our d-line took advantage of the 1 on 1's, and ended up with 4 sacks.

Arrelious Benn plays mostly special teams.

Myron Lewis was inactive.

CJSchneider
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
OROY = Jahvid Best.

I'll admit, he looked damn good today.

soybean
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Aaron Hernandez 6 catches for 101 yards. Including a long of 45. He looked extremely active out there.

Go_Eagles77
09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Nate Allen has 2 picks on the year, Is he this years Jairus Byrd? He does have Dick Jauron coaching him haha.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
UoqzSrJrGxo

Scotty D
09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
OROY = Jahvid Best.

Thanks Minnesota!

TitanHope
09-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Derrick Morgan: 1 Solo Tackle, 1 Asst, and .5 Sack

Splat
09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Eric Berry has looked like a beast vs the run, but has looked lost vs the pass.

Tony Moeaki the Chiefs 3rd round pick TE has looked solid and has been Cassel's favorite target the first two weeks.

No one else did much of any thing worthy of noting, the Browns did a really nice job shutting down both Arenas and McCluster on SP teams.

Timbathia
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Apparently Demaryius Thomas is ready for the NFL now - he may get a heck of a lot better with experience, but those who thought he was project and could not be effective right away were dead wrong.

umphrey
09-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Apparently Demaryius Thomas is ready for the NFL now - he may get a heck of a lot better with experience, but those who thought he was project and could not be effective right away were dead wrong.

I don't know about everyone else but I thought his foot injury might linger into training camp and the regular season. At least take away practice time and make it hard for him to get on the field early in the season. I wish I could have seen him play today though. Thomas vs. Bryant looks to be an interesting draft day hindsight debate.

Diehard
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM

8 catches, 97 yards and a TD... great day for him.

He wasn't the only rookie making plays out there either - Cassius Vaughn recovered that fumbled kick return (had some nice coverage as well) and Cox had an interception late. A pretty good showing by the young guys.

Timbathia
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I thought his foot injury might linger into training camp and the regular season. At least take away practice time and make it hard for him to get on the field early in the season. I wish I could have seen him play today though. Thomas vs. Bryant looks to be an interesting draft day hindsight debate.

Oh, and he actually only played a half today as well.

keylime_5
09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
TJ Ward is my special boy. Too bad the Browns offense makes me wanna puke.

NotRickJames
09-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Mike Williams - 2 Catches - 58 Yards - 1 TD

McCoy occupied all the double teams, and the rest of our d-line took advantage of the 1 on 1's, and ended up with 4 sacks.

Arrelious Benn plays mostly special teams.

Myron Lewis was inactive.

If Benn develops into the monster he has the potential to be, that's a serious WR duo. Throw Stroughter in the slot and heads will roll.

Jerome Murphy, a rookie DB for the Rams, saw surprise action today and played very well.

Caddy
09-19-2010, 08:39 PM
There is some damn good rookies on the offensive side of the ball this year.

XxXdragonXxX
09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
After being inactive week 1, Golden Tate had a 62 yard punt return and a 52 yard reception.

Earl Thomas had another solid game, with 7 tackles, mostly in run support.

Walter Thurmond muffed a punt in the 1st quarter, didn't see him the rest of the day.

Okung still recovering from an ankle sprain.

Hines
09-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Antonio Brown took the opening kick off to the house.

Pouncey is still a sexy boy.

Stevenson Sylvester made a nice block to spring Brown, then on the next kickoff, he punched out the ball for Pittsburgh to get the ball back.

draftguru151
09-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Jared Odrick is out for a few weeks with a broken leg.

Koa Misi recovered the Brett Favre fumble for a TD. Got solid pressure against McKinnie and set the edge pretty well. Had a sack week 1 and has looked pretty good the first two weeks.

John Jerry has done well at RG, really physical but has made some mistakes.

umphrey
09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Jared Odrick is out for a few weeks with a broken leg.

Broken legs usually don't heal in a few weeks...

draftguru151
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Broken legs usually don't heal in a few weeks...

Hairline fracture in his fibula, early reports were 6-8 weeks but now it's only 2 apparently.

bigbluedefense
09-20-2010, 11:26 AM
JPP played special teams.

Linval Joseph was inactive

Dillard has a hammy

Petrus didn't play

Tracy on IR

Good ol Coughlin hates playing rookies. We'll be lucky to see any of these guys get any decent action by week 8 at earliest.

Halsey
09-20-2010, 11:38 AM
OROY = Jahvid Best.

You're assuming he stays healthy and has a long career. He looks like a good player, but that doesn't mean he'll have a long career or make a huge impact in the 'win-loss' column. The Lions are 0-2 despite his stellar play. Runningbacks aren't big difference makers in today's NFL.

umphrey
09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Hairline fracture in his fibula, early reports were 6-8 weeks but now it's only 2 apparently.

I can see how you could play with a hairline fracture after 2 weeks but it seems like you're just asking to snap your leg in half. Could turn into a major injury any given play. I wouldn't ask a rookie to do it, but I guess if the doc says he can play then play him.

yourfavestoner
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I can see how you could play with a hairline fracture after 2 weeks but it seems like you're just asking to snap your leg in half. Could turn into a major injury any given play. I wouldn't ask a rookie to do it, but I guess if the doc says he can play then play him.

The fibula is a non-weight bearing bone. It sounds like a much more debilitating injury than it actually is. Guys have played with fractures in it before.

umphrey
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Didn't say you couldn't just think you shouldn't (well unless it's the playoffs). Wouldn't want to risk an injury on a rookie that might affect him his entire career (see Carson Palmer, Culpepper), not when he's at such a heightened state of risk that is.

killxswitch
09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Colts rookie report:

Jerry Hughes - inactive 2 weeks in a row
Pat Angerer - fine in special teams
Kevin Thomas - IRed in preseason
Jacques McClendon - inactive so far
Brody Eldridge - a better blocker than most of our starting OLmen
Ricardo Matthews - good preseason, inactive so far in regular season
Kavell Connor - started for Session vs. the Giants, did fine

Nothing terribly exciting.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Colts rookie report:

Jerry Hughes - inactive 2 weeks in a row
Pat Angerer - fine in special teams
Kevin Thomas - IRed in preseason
Jacques McClendon - inactive so far
Brody Eldridge - a better blocker than most of our starting OLmen
Ricardo Matthews - good preseason, inactive so far in regular season
Kavell Connor - started for Session vs. the Giants, did fine

Nothing terribly exciting.

Bill Polian, draft genius everybody.

wonderbredd24
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Joe Haden and TJ Ward can certainly hit. That's basically all you can say.

Lauvao was out a 2nd week in a row... the backup right side of the line is not doing well

bigbluedefense
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
For the teams that consistently win, it's unrealistic to see your rookies get a lot of snaps.

Most teams like the Colts who have their starting 22 for the most part already set will redshirt rookies.

killxswitch
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
For the teams that consistently win, it's unrealistic to see your rookies get a lot of snaps.

Most teams like the Colts who have their starting 22 for the most part already set will redshirt rookies.

People are up in arms about Hughes because Polian made comments about using him as a 3rd stand-up pass rusher along with Mathis and Freeney. It's silly though, rookie DLmen rarely make an impact their first year. I don't think this is one of Polians better drafts but it's not because they aren't contributing right now.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Hughes has gotten ZERO snaps and for a team that had to draft a d-end because we have no depth and lost the super bowl because of it apparently, i would hope he actually gets on the field.

wonderbredd24
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Absolutely true and while he could definitely still be a great player, the early returns on Jerry Hughes are surprising and disappointing

bigbluedefense
09-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Give it time guys.

Kiwanuka prior to this year looked like a mediocre DE. Now part of that was bc we screwed around with him moving him to LB then back to DE so he was never able to get stronger and bigger.

But so far this year, he's looking like a beast. He's finally turning the corner and its been what? 4 years?

Now Kiwi looks like a strong quick DE who can rush the passer, and bc of his snaps and experiences at LB, can also stand up and play LB. The dude would be a monster in a 3-4, and I'm hoping we resign him if he keeps it up.

Sometimes it doesn't happen overnight. That's why I'm one of the few giants fans who is going to be extremely patient with JPP.

umphrey
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM

I dunno, the Colts could be a lot better if they got some different guys in the draft this year that were starting. We start rookies all the time. Burnett at SS, Shields at nickel, sort of Bulaga. At least 1 rookie on the starting 22 going back to the Sherman era I'm pretty sure. Mostly a winning team in that era.

DoughBoy
09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Derrick Morgan- Looks like a stud. He has 1.5 sacks right now and doesn't seem like a guy that missed most of training camp and OTAs.

Damian Williams- Was active week one but I don't think he was this week. Looked like he was going to be our return man when we drafted him but lost his job to Marc Mariani.

Rennie Curran- Hasn't done anything yet but playing OLB in a 4-3 usually has a major learning curve.

Alterraun Verner- Not alot of playing time yet because of how solid McCourty has looked. He will get a chance at some PT soon IMO.

Robert Johnson- Has been a ghost throughout Training camp and preseason. Coaching staff likes him though.

Rusty Smith- beat out Chris Simms for the number 3 job. His arm strength is obvious, can't wait to see how he develops.

Myron Rolle- looks more like a linebacker than a safety. He got cut but was resigned to the practice squad.

Marc Mariani- Was a steal in the 7th round. He fumbled a kick-off this week but put us in great field position almost every time he touched the ball. He reminds me of Derrick Mason soooooo much (big shoes I know).

David Howard- Is floating on PS somewhere.

Shiver
09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Sean Weatherspoon had another 9 tackles and a sack. He is already at 17.

(I picked Jahvid Best and Sean Weatherspoon, so far, so good.)

holt_bruce81
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Sean Weatherspoon had another 9 tackles and a sack. He is already at 17.

(I picked Jahvid Best and Sean Weatherspoon, so far, so good.)

Nice to see Willie Mo back healthy.

AntoinCD
09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Devin McCourty-Got beat for the TD against Cotchery but actually had pretty good coverage. Had a couple of nice plays in run support and done terrificly on a fade route. The Jets didn't throw much his way though.

Rob Gronkowski-Done well in the run game and beat Kyle Wilson deep on one route only for the ball to be underthrown.

Jermaine Cunningham-Played in sub packages at OLB and made a nice impact. Had a QB hurry which forced Sanchez into Gerard Warren resulting in a sack.

Brandon Spikes-Had a real nice game especially against the Jets running attack. Keller did get behind him on one particular throw though. Led the team in tackles.

Aaron Hernandez-Pure sex. Had over 100yds receiving and made Cromartie look like a fool on one run after the catch. For the second game in a row he had a reception over 40 yards.

Zoltan Mesko-Boomed a few punts and the coverage resulted in a short gain.

abaddon41_80
09-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Both Iupati and Davis looked great last night, Mays made a tackle on Reggie Bush in the open field on a punt, Bowman flies around like a mini Patrick Willis out there, Byham is a hell of a blocking tight end, and Adams looked good on punt returns before the muff.

Giantsfan1080
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
BBD I'm going to be extremely patient with JPP also but from everything I've read so far Morgan looks to be doing very well. It would be nice to have that extra DE that we can plug in immediately and feel confident that he'll do his job.

bigbluedefense
09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
BBD I'm going to be extremely patient with JPP also but from everything I've read so far Morgan looks to be doing very well. It would be nice to have that extra DE that we can plug in immediately and feel confident that he'll do his job.

I personally didn't want Morgan bc I felt he was a low ceiling guy, probably an 8 sack a season guy for his career.

Now if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and I'll own up to it. But that was my thinking heading into the draft. I figured with our short term depth at DE, I wanted a guy with a high ceiling that could potentially develop into a DeMarcus Ware type of pass rusher. JPP could be that guy.

He could also bust mightily. But I felt it was worth the risk for us.

Giantsfan1080
09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah I know the arguments from both sides since we've been arguing about it forever haha. I was happy with the medium upside guy who could play right away instead of the boom or bust prospect. I'll tell you before the year is over JPP will have some blocked punts. He's in there everytime and his huge wingspan is going to help. I have loved what I've seen out of him on ST.

Ravens1991
09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Reports are Sergio Kindle may never play football again :( :( :( :(

bigbluedefense
09-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah I know the arguments from both sides since we've been arguing about it forever haha. I was happy with the medium upside guy who could play right away instead of the boom or bust prospect. I'll tell you before the year is over JPP will have some blocked punts. He's in there everytime and his huge wingspan is going to help. I have loved what I've seen out of him on ST.

I just can't wait to see him burn the edge with that wingspan. His combination of speed and strength is something we haven't seen in a Giants uniform in a long time.

I really wish Strahan would coach him up. JPP has bullrushing ability like Strahan did, if Stray can teach him how to harness that and combine that with a natural speed rush he has...we'd have something really special.

But it looks like he's gonna have to learn on his own. So we just have to wait and hope the light turns on.

Werowance
09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Nate Allen > Eric Berry/Earl Thomas
*For right now

Yeah, I said it and 2 interceptions and 3 defended passes agree. Nate Allen has been nothing short of fantastic in his first two games, looks like a veteran, makes key tackles and he makes plays in coverage.

yourfavestoner
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Give it time guys.

Kiwanuka prior to this year looked like a mediocre DE. Now part of that was bc we screwed around with him moving him to LB then back to DE so he was never able to get stronger and bigger.

But so far this year, he's looking like a beast. He's finally turning the corner and its been what? 4 years?

Now Kiwi looks like a strong quick DE who can rush the passer, and bc of his snaps and experiences at LB, can also stand up and play LB. The dude would be a monster in a 3-4, and I'm hoping we resign him if he keeps it up.

Sometimes it doesn't happen overnight. That's why I'm one of the few giants fans who is going to be extremely patient with JPP.

Defensive end probably has the second hardest learning curve in the NFL, behind QB.

In college, your game either relies on 99% athleticism or 99% motor and hustle. In the NFL, playing defensive end is all about hand placement and using moves to set yourself up for other moves. It's similar to playing in the low post in basketball. Most guys in college because they're bigger and stronger than everyone else. Once they get into the NBA, it takes a few years to develop a go-to move, and then two or three counter moves off of that.

Morton
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Eric Berry has looked pretty awful so far from what I've seen. Blows coverage, misses tackles, etc.

Brandon Graham has been abused in the run game in both games so far. Got a sack and a few pressures in two games, but mostly from the DT position and was otherwise a liability for the Eagles.

Weird how that works - two guys you think will be the studs of the draft class turn out to look more like busts than anything else. Guess playing in the NFL is alot tougher than college, huh?

Go_Eagles77
09-21-2010, 01:42 PM
You're really calling Berry/Graham busts after 2 games? S and DE are not exactly easy positions to tear it up as a rookie.

Don Vito
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Reports are Sergio Kindle may never play football again :( :( :( :(

That's a shame. I couldn't believe he lasted until the second round, I was pissed the Pats didn't take him. Hopefully he gets healthy first and foremost, it would be nice to see him get on the field too. Situations like this are pretty sad.

Ravens1991
09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah its really sad. Sergio Kindle was so happy to be a Raven. I remember reading once he got interviewed by the media. he screamed out as loud as he could through the phone "Ya'll ready to bleep stuff out. Cuz it feels efffing good!!!!!!!!!" With all his tweets it seems like he is in great spirits going through his rehab. I hope he can come back.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Very pleased with the play of Spoon. Extremely rangy player with a lot of emotion.

V.I.P
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Mike Williams nominated for Rookie Of The Week, for the second straight week. To bad Jahvid Best will win it :( .....

vidae
09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Berry is great against the run and has missed like one tackle, boggle. He does need to improve in coverage but he's a rookie safety. If you thought he'd come out and pick off a few passes a game you're an idiot.

He's solid, not great, but he has all the tools, work ethic and smarts to be a very good football player.

Splat
09-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Eric Berry has looked pretty awful so far from what I've seen.

Aka for what I saw on Sports Center.

yaga
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
For the Texans, Week 2

1. Kareem Jackson - another week, another 400 yard passer against the Texans secondary. Second game in which he played and looked like a rookie. He was beaten deep multiple times by senior citizen Joey Gaolloway. 4 tackles and 1 Pass defensed. Another test next week from the pass happy cowboys. Maybe not as NFL ready as advertised....

2. Ben Tate - IR out for season

3. Ear Mitchell - part of DT rotation, 1 tackle.

4. Darryl Sharpton - special teams

4. Garret Graham - inactive

5. Scherrick McMannis - special teams, dime coverage.

6. Shelley Smith - practice squad

6. Trindon Holliday - IR, our for season

7. Dorin Dickerson - practice squad

Morton
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Berry is great against the run and has missed like one tackle, boggle. He does need to improve in coverage but he's a rookie safety. If you thought he'd come out and pick off a few passes a game you're an idiot.

He's solid, not great, but he has all the tools, work ethic and smarts to be a very good football player.

On the monday night game vs the Chargers, he was directly responsible for a long touchdown where he blew his coverage assignment down the field. He also missed an easy tackle or two against Tolbert.

And he was just abused the whole night by Antonio Gates. Sure, he's an elite TE, but if you're an elite S, you should be able to handle coverage on any kind of TE.

For a guy who was the consensus top 5 pick in this year's draft, you'd expect a higher level of competence.

vidae
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Berry isn't an elite safety. He's a rookie safety who has the chance to be an elite player. The two are drastically different and I can't believe I have to explain that to you.

A Perfect Score
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Meh, I see where he is coming from on some level. If you are paying someone double what the next guy at the position is making, you expect to see some sort of immediate result. At the same time, Berry hasnt looked nearly as bad as he's making him out to be outside of some rookie mistakes, which are bound to happen to everyone no matter how highly you are selected.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I know that revisionist history has basically ignored this altogether, but Sean Taylor wasn't a particularly impressive player his rookie year and didn't break out until his 4th year. Hell, even Bob Sanders and Troy Polamalu struggled to crack the starting lineups their rookie years.

We're two games into the season and Berry is talented in the extreme. Let's all chill out for second, okay?

Bengalsrocket
09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
On the monday night game vs the Chargers, he was directly responsible for a long touchdown where he blew his coverage assignment down the field. He also missed an easy tackle or two against Tolbert.

And he was just abused the whole night by Antonio Gates. Sure, he's an elite TE, but if you're an elite S, you should be able to handle coverage on any kind of TE.

For a guy who was the consensus top 5 pick in this year's draft, you'd expect a higher level of competence.

Yea I agree. Also, what's up with Bradford? This guy was the #1 pick in the draft and he's no where near the level of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If you get drafted in the top 5 you should immediately be the best player at your position, period.

I can't believe people are even defending Berry. This guy should at least have a pick a game to support his draft grade, regardless of how many games into his first season we are.

And don't even get me started on the other top 5 picks. McCoy doesn't even have a sack yet, I mean, come on!!!

lol.

LonghornsLegend
09-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Eric Berry has looked pretty awful so far from what I've seen. Blows coverage, misses tackles, etc.

Brandon Graham has been abused in the run game in both games so far. Got a sack and a few pressures in two games, but mostly from the DT position and was otherwise a liability for the Eagles.

Weird how that works - two guys you think will be the studs of the draft class turn out to look more like busts than anything else. Guess playing in the NFL is alot tougher than college, huh?

One of the dumbest post I've read on here in a long time, and that's saying something. This isn't even worth trying to go back and forth about.

Splat
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Gates had 5 Rec's for 76 yards and 1 TD, a solid game but to say he abused Berry is to much, Berry has had trouble vs the pass but he has played in two games lets give the kid a break.

Mr.Regular
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Chiefs fans are going to be wishing they took Bryan Bulaga over Berry pretty soon;)
Looks like Bulaga is going to be A-Rod's starting blindside protector for the next decade, starting this Monday.

Chucky
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Chiefs fans are going to be wishing they took Bryan Bulaga over Berry pretty soon;)
Looks like Bulaga is going to be A-Rod's starting blindside protector for the next decade, starting this Monday.

I hope you aren't being serious.

Sniper
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Stevie Brown
Again, a great 7th round pick. Was an huge success at safety considering he played mostly linebacker in college

False. Brown played one year of linebacker and three mind-bogglingly bad years at safety. I'm glad he's doing well, though I thought he'd do it at LB, not S. He was ******* horrendous at safety.

Sniper
09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Runningbacks aren't big difference makers in today's NFL.

I'm sorry. I must have misread that.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
False. Brown played one year of linebacker and three mind-bogglingly bad years at safety. I'm glad he's doing well, though I thought he'd do it at LB, not S. He was ******* horrendous at safety.

My mistake. Either way, he's doing well.

Jvig43
09-21-2010, 10:31 PM
McCourty..... Ok bye.

Morton
09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Yea I agree. Also, what's up with Bradford? This guy was the #1 pick in the draft and he's no where near the level of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If you get drafted in the top 5 you should immediately be the best player at your position, period.

No offense, but comparing quarterbacks to safeties is pretty ridiculous. Quarterback is by far the hardest position in the sports world, let alone the NFL, to master.

Being a solid safety should be easy for someone with Berry's supposedly elite athleticism.

I can't believe people are even defending Berry. This guy should at least have a pick a game to support his draft grade, regardless of how many games into his first season we are.

I'm not saying he should have a pick a game (although 2nd round rookie safety Nate Allen already has that, hmm), I'm saying he should, you know, be able to do basic things like cover TEs 1-on-1, and not give up long touchdown passes because he blew his coverage assignment by rushing upfield for no reason.

Matthew Jones
09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Patriots rookies:

WR Taylor Price - Hasn't seen the field in the regular season that I'm aware of. Had some serious problems catching the ball and getting off of the jam during preseason, but I'm assuming Belichick knew he was a project coming in. Needs a lot of work, but has some good tools.

TE Rob Gronkowski - Should be a dangerous weapon in the red zone for New England. Caught a ton of touchdown passes in the preseason and one in the season opener against the Bengals. Looks to be improving as a blocker and should be a long-term Patriot.

TE Aaron Hernandez - Has lived up to the hype this year and made a big play in each of the first two games. Looked great in camp and preseason too. Creates a lot of mismatches and somehow seems to find open field very often. More of a WR/TE hybrid that probably won't be asked to do a lot of blocking.

DL Brandon Deaderick - Really too early to say, I haven't seen enough of him. In the preseason he looked pretty solid though, you can tell the coaching staff likes him because they kept him on the 53-man roster over guys like Damione Lewis.

DL Kyle Love/LB Dane Fletcher - New England usually keeps an undrafted free agent on their roster to start the season, but this year they kept two, and they were these guys. Haven't seen enough of them in the regular season to really comment though.

LB Jermaine Cunningham - Was off to a strong start in camp, then missed pretty much all of preseason. Got a pretty good amount of snaps last week due to some blunders from our starters and played well. I'm optimistic about him being a solid starter.

LB Brandon Spikes - Heavily hyped all throughout the offseason/camp/preseason. Didn't play as much as I thought he would against the Bengals, but this week he played pretty extensively against the Jets and picked up nine tackles. Supposedly a very good leader and I imagine a strong candidate to play at least two out of three downs.

CB Devin McCourty - Looked really strong against Owens in week one, breaking up two big passes including a potential touchdown, but last week he struggled and allowed two touchdown passes. Looks like he has his eyes in the backfield a little bit too much and would do well to play his man more often. Still, looks athletic and seems to get a good jam at the line.

P Zoltan Mesko - Looks to be the long-term punter the Patriots have needed for a while. He's off to a decent start, he had one weak punt last week against the Jets but I think he's going to start for a long time given what New England has invested. Supposedly looks good in practices too.

Morton
09-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Oops, already answered my question. Delete this please.

gpngc
09-21-2010, 11:02 PM
The Berry guy isn't necessarily calling him a bust right now - he's just saying that he's played poorly.

The team went 2-0, so it's fine. But he's just stating the fact, with evidence, that Berry hasn't played will in a thread about how rookies are progressing. I don't know what the problem is...

I didn't see the Cleveland game, and of course Rivers and SD is as tough as anyone to face, but I understand the point that safeties taken that high generally don't struggle much at all to make an immediate impact.

It's very early, and two games should be taken for what they are - just two games. But here is a thread to track progress. There's nothing wrong with making a point based on what he's seen.

and Earl Thomas is 1 billion times better than Berry.

Timbathia
09-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Earl Thomas got run over by Slowshon Moreno on sunday on this one play.

Earl Thomas = bust

Don Vito
09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Dane Fletcher is a guy the Pats supposedly like a lot and he is the type of player we had a lot of success with in the past. He was a small school DE who is slightly undersized but he really is an exceptional athlete, he is a LB for us and I could see him being a factor down the road. He won't contribute immediately but he has a lot of what you look for in a LB in our defense, he has been getting reps inside and outside and that versatility is a plus. Please be the next Bruschi.

Scotty D
09-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Vote (Best) for the rookie of the week

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

On the ballot
Jahvid Best, RB, Detroit Lions
Antonio Brown, KR, Pittsburgh Steelers
Dez Bryant, WR, Dallas Cowboys
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Denver Broncos
Mike Williams, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Week 1 winner - Sexter McCluster****

AntoinCD
09-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Im not in any way agreeing that Eric Berry is or will be a bust because after two games that is a ridiculous statement. However, due to his draft position he will be held to a higher standard than most. Even if he turns out to be a good/better than good safety he will be considered a miss in the draft. It's the whole dilemma about drafting safetys that highly. While by no means the worst safety in the league Laron Landry is certainly considered a miss in the draft. Eric Berry needs to first of all get rid of the mental errors which affect all rookies, and secondly he needs to make more plays. As the season progresses and he gets more used to Crennel's defense I fully expect this to happen.

HawkEye30
09-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Earl Thomas is pure sex. And Russell Okung is ...... injured.

Caddy
09-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Mike Williams TD catch this week was soooo sexy. Caught the ball in traffic then bust through two tackles. I emplore you to check it out!

vidae
09-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Jahvid Best has to be the rookie of the week. The kid was lights out this week.

And I'm pretty sure Bengalsrocket was being sarcastic with his post Morton. You not realizing that made me lol though.

T-RICH49
09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Tony ******** Moeaki and Dexter ******** McCluster

SuperMcGee
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Spiller only had 4 carries inthe game, but certainly showed his worth split out wide and in the return game. Could be rookie of the week, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Nobody else has done a thing. David Nelson has gotten some looks at receiver. Had a pass go over his head for what was essentially a game-sealing interception. Had another target, but the throw was a little behind. Would've liked more effort from him on both throws, but it wasn't horrible.

Gay Ork Wang
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Major Wright is injured, i dont even know who else we drafted.

killxswitch
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Colts rookie update: Blair White played in his first NFL game and caught a pretty important corner TD vs. the Broncos. I am not sure if he'll stick (if Garcon and Gonzalez come back from injury there won't be room for him), but he's a definite practice squad keeper at least. He did well.

Jakey
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Maurkice Pouncey pwns...I didnt see a Tampa DT at all in that that game, if only centers got more recognition :(

RealityCheck
09-27-2010, 12:45 PM
The Pats rookies? Sucking as always, thanks for asking.
Well, actually, McCourty is doing solid so far.

V.I.P
09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Mike Williams, 5 Catches, 55 Yards

Gerald McCoy - Not his nor our d-line's best week. best week.

LeGarette Blount - Finally activated !!! He had 6 Carries, 27 Yards ( 4.5 Yards a carry), 1 TD (vs Pittsburgh's #1 run D. )

THIS CLEARLY MEANS LGB > CJ2K

RealityCheck
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
LeGarrette is going to make all the critics eat their words.

bigbluedefense
09-27-2010, 12:54 PM
JPP saw the field for like 4 snaps. Yay. He demolished CJ2K in the backfield on one play, blew up a Guard on a pass rush on one play which opened up a lane for Kiwi to get a sack, he bullrushed a RT one play and was close to a sack but VY just got it off, and then was stonewalled the other play.

On STs, its only a matter of time before he blocks a punt.

Linval Joseph deactivated again. Why? I have no idea at all. He was our best DT during the PS.

Dillard still out with a hammy.

Dodge sucks, and will be cut sooner or later.

Petrus continues to sit on the bench, probably won't play all season unless injuries force him in the starting lineup. He will be an eventual starter though.

Sniper
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
The Pats rookies? Sucking as always, thanks for asking.
Well, actually, McCourty is doing solid so far.

Zoltan Mesko (The Space Emperor of space) never sucks.

HawkEye30
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Earl Thomas for DROY. That is all.

Pat Sims 90
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Carolina Game

Gresham 4-59 YDS
Shipley 3-37 YDS
Atkins 1 Tackle

V.I.P
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
LeGarrette is going to make all the critics eat their words.

Yeah, Blount needs to hurry up, and digest the playbook during the bye this week. Caddy is barely averaging 2 yards a carry this season, He clearly lost a step. Blount woulda had more better stats yesterday if we weren't down 50,000 points, so we were force to pass the whole second half.

LGB > CJ2K

hahaha lol

bigbluedefense
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, Blount needs to hurry up, and digest the playbook during the bye this week. Caddy is barely averaging 2 yards a carry this season, He clearly lost a step. Blount woulda had more better stats yesterday if we weren't down 50,000 points, so we were force to pass the whole second half.

LGB > CJ2K

hahaha lol

Should I drop Kareem Huggins from my bench?

Chucky
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Should I drop Kareem Huggins from my bench?

I would probably wait it out until after the bye to see how many touches he gets in week 5, when he is fully healthy.

Unbiased
09-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Tyson Alualu had 3 tackles and half a sack vs the Eagles. He's on pace for 48 tackles and 8 sacks right now.

Larry Hart plays as a backup but hasn't done anything noticeable yet, except for tipping a pass at the LOS.

D'Anthony Smith, Deji Karim, and Scotty McGee are all injured. Austen Lane is healthy, but doesn't play.

Babylon
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Earl Thomas for DROY. That is all.

Earl Thomas has made me not regret passing on Taylor Mays, one of the ints was on a tipped ball from Gates but he's instinctive enough to be in the right place. If he isnt the frontrunner for DROY please tell me who is.

HawkeyeFan
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Sam Bradford is looking like a complete stud so far.

He's of course making those rookie mistakes, that come in the game, but he's also doing a lot of things that even the announcers are saying that they can't believe he's doing as a rookie.

Few things I like most about him.

- Accuracy, I knew he was accurate, but he's much more accurate than I envisioned. He's making every throw on the field.

- Power/Arm Strength, people knocked him for his arm strength, and he's not a Jamarcus Russell/Favre type of arm strength, but he knows exactly when to put a soft touch on the pass, or zip it in there, and he's got quite a bit of zip.

- Defensive Reading, he's been very good at reading defenses, and a lot of times makes checkdowns if no ones open, he also alters and audibles plays into passes when he sees an opportunity ( Redskin fans can attest to that ).

- Toughness, he's been knocked around, sacked, hit, ect.. and he just keeps standing up and get right back up there.

- Poise, he's never rattled, never afraid, and he's done an absolute great job at standing in the pocket and delivering passes when being pressured/hit.

I'm super excited about him, and can't believe I doubted and didn't want him.

Gay Ork Wang
09-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Earl Thomas has made me not regret passing on Taylor Mays, one of the ints was on a tipped ball from Gates but he's instinctive enough to be in the right place. If he isnt the frontrunner for DROY please tell me who is.
Nate Allen maybe?

Werowance
09-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Nate Allen, 12 tackles, 3 passes defended, 2 interceptions and 1 sack. Plus he plays on a better defense, one that isn't ranked 30th in the NFL against the pass.

HawkEye30
09-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Nate Allen, 12 tackles, 3 passes defended, 2 interceptions and 1 sack. Plus he plays on a better defense, one that isn't ranked 30th in the NFL against the pass.

Ok. Earl Thomas has 21 tackles and 2 interceptions. ?

ATLDirtyBirds
09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Spoon's been all good.

J255979-11nine
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
The entire TE group from this past draft has left me really impressed. Moeaki, Gresham, Hernandez, Gronk, are all making huge contributions to their respective teams.

lowlife
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Blount is a man.

http://missswan.info/miss-swan/miss-swan-11.jpg
He look like a man.

He'll learn more plays over the bye and is expected to get more carries since Carnell has blown dick.

Splat
09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
The entire TE group from this past draft has left me really impressed. Moeaki, Gresham, Hernandez, Gronk, are all making huge contributions to their respective teams.

I still can't believe Hernandez fell to the 4th round.

09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I still can't believe Hernandez fell to the 4th round.

Off the field concerns definitely weighed him down in the draft process. Arguably a first round caliber TE based on his unique skillset; he's not much different than Keller who had himself another big game last night.

umphrey
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Watch for the Packers UDFA Frank Zombo, who is getting his first career start at OLB tonight.

RaiderNation
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Rolando McClain looked good against Cardinals

A Perfect Score
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Sergio Kindle still has a broken head. Sad Panda.

Splat
09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Off the field concerns definitely weighed him down in the draft process. Arguably a first round caliber TE based on his unique skillset; he's not much different than Keller who had himself another big game last night.

Ya, I knew he would fall just didn't think it would be that far.

hawkeye123
09-27-2010, 06:37 PM
There are a ton of undrafted free agents this year looking impressive.

vidae
09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Moeaki, McCluster, Berry, Arenas, Lewis.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Basileus777
09-27-2010, 07:16 PM

And our 2008 draft class. If only last year's draft hadn't been such an abortion.

vidae
09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Tyson Jackson looked pretty good in the Chargers game. I'm hoping that Crennel is working his magic with him.

V.I.P
09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
How many RB's can hop on one leg, and drag Troy Polamalu with your other leg for 4 extra yards? I <3 LGB

JZnFSv1fwF8

soybean
09-28-2010, 01:48 PM

How has Berry looked?

LonghornsLegend
09-28-2010, 01:48 PM

And nobody is gonna really know about Jimmy Graham just yet either but he could end up the best guy out of the bunch. He's gonna take some time, the same way Jermichael Finley did, but I love his skill set. Still though the TE class does look sexy.

umphrey
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah the TE class was pretty ridiculous. Packers didn't even need one really but we got 2. Quarless who looks like a mini Finley. Good hands, tall and athletic but needs a year or two like Finley did. Tom Crabtree who is a UDFA but he's probably our best special teamer. He made the roster playing through a foot arch he had to tape and wear inserts for and a broken hand or wrist that he has to wear a brace on. We kept 4 TEs total.

Splat
09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
How has Berry looked?

Vs the run he has been a beast but he is still having trouble vs the pass, he has flashed what he can be but he has not put it all together yet.

vidae
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Vs the run he has been a beast but he is still having trouble vs the pass, he has flashed what he can be but he has not but it all together yet.

What he said.

He is an absolute dominator against the run.. gets in there with force and so far is a sure tackler. Against the pass, ehh.. he struggled against Gates (which I expected) and a bit in the Cleveland game (which I didn't expect..) but he was good all around in the 49ers game so I'm not worried.

He has shown flashes of elite ability.. I think he'll put it all together soon.

HawkeyeFan
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
How many RB's can hop on one leg, and drag Troy Polamalu with your other leg for 4 extra yards? I <3 LGB

JZnFSv1fwF8
I'm so upset that St. Louis didn't sign LeGarrette Blount, the dude is just a straight up beast. He's going to blow the NFL up when he gets his chance.

BLACK_&_YELLOW
09-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Hieq2NfaTkE
but u still lost.

XxXdragonXxX
09-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Earl Thomas obviously had an awesome day. 2 INTs, 1 to end the game.

Walter Thurmond had 7 tackles and batted away a pass in the endzone.

Kam Chancellor forced a fumble on special teams, fellow rookie Dexter Davis recovered.

Golden Tate had a 31 yard punt return and 4 receptions for 33 yards, one he tried to flip over a defender it the goal-line which looked cool but didn't do much.

And Okung is still hurt.

Chucky
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Hieq2NfaTkE
but u still lost.

Stop trolling. This INT has absolutely nothing to do with the 2010 rookie watch.

LonghornsLegend
09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Earl Thomas obviously had an awesome day. 2 INTs, 1 to end the game.

Looks like Mayock may have been onto something and not just shock value for ranking Earl Thomas higher then Berry. Not to say whatever Mayock says goes because he pimped Ayers like that too, and the book is still out on both players, but Thomas looks great.

We badly need a guy in the secondary like him, he was one of the other players Jerry would have traded up for had he made it to 20.

Splat
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I still would take Berry in the long run.

TitanHope
09-29-2010, 09:59 AM
It's not a surprise that ET is making plays in coverage. That was his greatest strength when he was broken down. The concern was him stepping up to stop the run and other phases where he has to be physical.

Looks like Berry has had the opposite course. He's been great vs the run, but not so hot in coverage. Which is odd since he's a great cover guy.

It's gonna take these guys a few more games to get fully accustomed to the NFL. It's funny because based on all these descriptions, you can see who played FS and who played SS in college. It's probably only natural for these guys to fall back on old habits on the field when they're thrust into starting roles and flying by the seat of their pants. Both guys will be studs.

Anyway, Titans CB Jason McCourty is out for 3-4 weeks due to a broken forearm, so rookie CB Alterraun Verner will start at LCB in his place. ATV has been playing extremely well, and has pretty much forced the coaches to play him. This past week he was Johnny on the spot on recovering a fumble against the Giants, which just about sealed the victory for TN. He'll probably play a lot of zone with Griffin providing safety help.

yourfavestoner
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Tyson Alualu was one of the few players on the Jags who showed a pulse against Philly, so that's something, I guess.

LizardState
09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
CB Kareem Jackson for the Texans:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/475186-houston-texans-measuring-up-kareem-jackson

Re-injured his ankle vs. Dallas. I think he was the corner badly burned by Roy Williams' dbl move, he fell down & Williams outran him for a 63-yd. score. Obviously even an OC as flashy dumb as Jason Garrett could exploit a rookie CB with an ankle injury.

The story of Saban encouraging him to remain for his sr. yr. is probably true, I'm sure Saban preferred a veteran on one corner this season instead of the 2 freshmen he's starting. OTOH how do you talk a player out of postponing NFL 1st rd. $ for a yr?

Bengals78
09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
MMMMmmmmm

http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2010/09-September/AP100926032663--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

21ST
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Trent Williams has got to be the redskins MVP so far

Werowance
09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Trent Williams has got to be the redskins MVP so far

I had serious doubts about Williams holding up at LT in the NFL, I thought he would make a pro-bowl RT or an all-pro OG but I'm completely fine to admit that I was wrong on him, he looks like a future monster at the LT spot. His athleticism and power is definitely showing and I think a lot of his early success can be attributed to Mike Shannahan and his coaching staff who are notorious for developing top notch lineman and having them play well from the get go (i.e. Clady, Ryan Harris are just two off the top of my head).

Werowance
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh and Nate Allen was named the NFL's defensive rookie of the month. Yay!

J255979-11nine
09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Looks like Mayock may have been onto something and not just shock value for ranking Earl Thomas higher then Berry. Not to say whatever Mayock says goes because he pimped Ayers like that too, and the book is still out on both players, but Thomas looks great.

We badly need a guy in the secondary like him, he was one of the other players Jerry would have traded up for had he made it to 20.

Ayers play has vastly improved from this season to last, despite him being a poor fit for that defense. I was hoping he was going to be snatched up by a 4-3 team during the draft, but unfortunately that didn't materialize.

themaninblack
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
MMMMmmmmm

http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2010/09-September/AP100926032663--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

So happy to see him doing well seemingly from the get-go. I'm actually kinda surprised that Brat has been trying to get him involved as much as he has. Those two TE screens were probably the best calls he's made all year.

I've also been pretty impressed with Geno and Carlos Dunlap in their limited roles thus far. The young talent we have on this defense is just staggering to me after how bad the D had been for so many years. MJ has also looked nice(though hes not a rookie) and looks to be a major steal for us. Hopefully Dunlap can prove to be something similar into the future, while Geno continues to be his sexy self. That man is one of the quickest 'fat' guys I've ever seen in my life.

J255979-11nine
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
So happy to see him doing well seemingly from the get-go. I'm actually kinda surprised that Brat has been trying to get him involved as much as he has. Those two TE screens were probably the best calls he's made all year.

I've also been pretty impressed with Geno and Carlos Dunlap in their limited roles thus far. The young talent we have on this defense is just staggering to me after how bad the D had been for so many years. MJ has also looked nice(though hes not a rookie) and looks to be a major steal for us. Hopefully Dunlap can prove to be something similar into the future, while Geno continues to be his sexy self. That man is one of the quickest 'fat' guys I've ever seen in my life.

The Bengals just need time and a legit safety for that defense to become something special in the coming years. The offense, however, is definitely a work in progress...

themaninblack
09-29-2010, 07:20 PM
The Bengals just need time and a legit safety for that defense to become something special in the coming years. The offense, however, is definitely a work in progress...

I think they're already pretty darn special but that's probably just the homer in me. I was calling for the safety this year in the draft but we really weren't in the position to grab that versatile game-changer we needed(aside from maybe Mays, who I'm not all that high on). I was actually kind of down on the Gresham pick to start with because I just felt S was a bigger need, along with the fact that our OC has never made any indication that he's even aware TE's are eligible receivers.

But yeah I agree, Safety is probably the only real weak spot on our D at this point. We have nice run support players but no real coverage ability at the position outside of maybe Ndukwe. And our offense has been terrible thus far for sure, but I'm not really ready to count them out of it just yet. Just need to get the kinks straightened out in protection as well as the passing game. Also, Dennis Roland needs to be taken off the field immediately if not sooner. IDC if Andre Smith is a fat slob with no work ethic, he cannot possibly be worse than Roland.

V.I.P
09-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh and Nate Allen was named the NFL's defensive rookie of the month. Yay!

Really? Who was offensive rookie of the month? Best?

Werowance
09-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Really? Who was offensive rookie of the month? Best?

I'm trying to find it but I can't, the only thing I can find is Nate Allen. Just for proof here is a link. (http://philly.sbnation.com/2010/9/29/1720170/eagles-safety-nate-allen-named-nfl-defensive-rookie-of-the-month)

Brown Leader
09-29-2010, 11:45 PM

Ok. Earl Thomas has 21 tackles and 2 interceptions. ?

Ok time to tout my team's guy.. T.J. Ward 27 tackles 1ff 1pd If he starts to make good on his opportunities-like not dropping a gift pick 6 last week from Flacco-this comparison becomes more interesting.

Haden? Mostly nonfactor. Gave up a TD week 1 and has had a couple nice tackle/pass break ups.

descendency
09-30-2010, 12:04 AM
I still would take Berry in the long run.

And in the short run. He's a great tackler.

(see what I did there??? :P)

Berry just needs to get acclimated to the NFL's speed and play before he becomes the coverage beast we all know is coming.

Tyson Alualu was one of the few players on the Jags who showed a pulse against Philly, so that's something, I guess.

Great pick. Too bad for them no one was willing to pay to trade up to their spot so they could get him at a more reasonable spot.

yourfavestoner
09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
And in the short run. He's a great tackler.

(see what I did there??? :P)

Berry just needs to get acclimated to the NFL's speed and play before he becomes the coverage beast we all know is coming.

Great pick. Too bad for them no one was willing to pay to trade up to their spot so they could get him at a more reasonable spot.

TBH, he, Aaron Kampman, and Terrance Knighton have been the sole (and I mean sole) bright spots of the team. One more pass rusher and the d-line should be completely fixed.

The rest of the team has been an abortion. Daryl Smith's been solid, but he's always been that solid/unspectacular guy.

gpngc
09-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Thomas has tackled well thus far.

The Seahawks draft class looks absolutely insane right now...

Paranoidmoonduck
09-30-2010, 12:20 AM
The rest of the team has been an abortion. Daryl Smith's been solid, but he's always been that solid/unspectacular guy.

How has Morrison looked?

Oh, and hey, can we stop the end of the season award talk until at least the midway point? It makes no sense three weeks in.

yourfavestoner
09-30-2010, 12:42 AM
How has Morrison looked?

Oh, and hey, can we stop the end of the season award talk until at least the midway point? It makes no sense three weeks in.

I couldn't really tell you. Teams just throw on us every ******* down because our secondary is so awful. I'll let you know after we play a team like Tennessee.

21ST
09-30-2010, 12:43 AM
I had serious doubts about Williams holding up at LT in the NFL, I thought he would make a pro-bowl RT or an all-pro OG but I'm completely fine to admit that I was wrong on him, he looks like a future monster at the LT spot. His athleticism and power is definitely showing and I think a lot of his early success can be attributed to Mike Shannahan and his coaching staff who are notorious for developing top notch lineman and having them play well from the get go (i.e. Clady, Ryan Harris are just two off the top of my head).

I think we are going to learn alot about him this year, he has to go against Ware 2 times,Mario Williams,Trent Cole 2 times,Clay Mathews, Dwight Freeny, and the Giants DE core t times

Morton
09-30-2010, 12:49 AM
I thought before the draft that Eric Berry was a stellar run support safety with mediocre cover skills and that Earl Thomas was a stellar cover safety with mediocre run support skills.

Hmm, guess I was right.

vidae
09-30-2010, 01:07 AM
I thought before the draft that Eric Berry was a stellar run support safety with mediocre cover skills and that Earl Thomas was a stellar cover safety with mediocre run support skills.

Hmm, guess I was right.

You have yet to be right about anything. I doubt this will be the first.

It has been THREE GAMES. Jesus tapdancing christ. Three games.

Rosebud
09-30-2010, 02:33 AM
You have yet to be right about anything. I doubt this will be the first.

It has been THREE GAMES. Jesus tapdancing christ. Three games.

Psh, the chiefs...every time they get a top 10 pick they grab a guy who's a bust by week 6 at the latest. What losers...

Splat
09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
I think Morton is a bust as a poster.

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Eric Berry is definitely a bust, he's HORRIBLE. He can't tackle, he can't cover, he can't read an offense. I'm sorry Chiefs fans, you'd be better off with Derrick Johnson at Safety. Why WOULD you wait until after his 1st year to consider him a bust, when you can tell already? Especially when we know EVERYTHING.

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
The breakout game for Dez Bryant is soon to come. Sucks that it won't show up on the stat sheet last game in what was a pretty solid game, but he was close to being the talk of the show and not Roy Williams.

He just missed 2 very long TD bombs in the game due to being pushed out in the air when it was caught in the end zone, and another by just a few inches of being out. Both balls were caught and showed great body control to twist in the air to catch both passes.

I'm trying to see if I can find those clips anywhere, but even without those had a very solid game. He's still on pace for roughly 850 yards so he has an outside shot at 1000 but OROY is not out of the question with Best hurt because Bryant is on pace to beat what Harvin's offensive output was last year, and he(I'f I'm not mistaken) averaging the highest punt return average in the league right now with already 1 TD.

Hard to beat RB's, but the top guys are banged up right now.

Morton
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Look, all of you Kansas City homers who are getting worked up because of what I said - saying that Berry, so far, is a mediocre cover safety with stellar run support skills simply is not the same thing as saying "Eric Berry is a bust". It just means that at this point he lacks solid coverage skills. If he were a bust, he wouldn't be doing anything positive on the field. And yes, he may, at some later point, develop better coverage skills. But right now his coverage skills are worse than that of other safeties taken in the 2010 draft such as Earl Thomas and Nate Allen.

lowlife
09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
He has about as even a shot as Demaryius Thomas and Mike Williams from a statistical standpoint.

I still see Matthews/Best coming back in a big way though.

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
He has about as even a shot as Demaryius Thomas and Mike Williams from a statistical standpoint.

Best is going to be a sick player, I absolutely despise watching him play, because the Rams were 3? picks away from getting him. Him and Steven Jackson ( Thunder and Lighting, Shake and Bake ) would be a pretty legit backfield.

Turns out we got Rodger Saffold, whose been a stud on the Left Side of the line for us so far, so it doesn't hurt as bad as it potentially could have.

If he can stay healthy, he'll end up being the best RB of the class, with LeGarrette Blount as the sleeper.

SenorGato
09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
The breakout game for Dez Bryant is soon to come.

Yes it is...That Dallas passing game is a sleeping giant.

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes it is...That Dallas passing game is a sleeping giant.
Thanks for reminding me, I just added Dez to my fantasy team, literally 30 seconds ago because of you two!

BLACK_&_YELLOW
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Antonio Brown is gone!
FZIcx87UeKE

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2010, 11:08 AM
That's going to end up being one of the plays of the year, it was absolutely incredible!

BLACK_&_YELLOW
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
That's going to end up being one of the plays of the year, it was absolutely incredible!

play of the year?, maybe not. But best rookie play?,YES. Thus far anyways. (along with the M. Williams catch)

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
play of the year?, maybe not. But best rookie play?,YES. Thus far anyways. (along with the M. Williams catch)
I didn't say WAS, I said ONE OF.

Mike Williams catch wasn't that impressive to me, one of those luck plays. Good concentration though.

Splat
09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Let's not forget this. =)

http://i51.tinypic.com/25fqfev.jpg

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I told people Moeaki was a top talent with injury problems. If healthy, the kids a beast.

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM

D. Thomas isn't even in the discussion, he had 1 productive game out of 3 and the other 2 I don't even think he notched a catch, he's not gonna get the ball consistently enough to be considered. Mike Williams yes of course, but he doesn't return punts, and quite frankly unless your going to put up an Anquan Boldin type of rookie season for a WR you need to be returning kicks to be considered.

Best/Mathews are obviously the front runners, especially Best, but they have got to get healthy, and we still haven't seen a signature game from Mathews at this point.

A Perfect Score
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I wouldnt rule out CJ Spiller just yet in the OROY race either.

TonyGfortheTD
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Look, all of you Kansas City homers who are getting worked up because of what I said - saying that Berry, so far, is a mediocre cover safety with stellar run support skills simply is not the same thing as saying "Eric Berry is a bust". It just means that at this point he lacks solid coverage skills. If he were a bust, he wouldn't be doing anything positive on the field. And yes, he may, at some later point, develop better coverage skills. But right now his coverage skills are worse than that of other safeties taken in the 2010 draft such as Earl Thomas and Nate Allen.

His "lacking" coverage skills has helped Brandon Flowers start to develop into a shutdown CB. Do you even read the ******** you type before hitting submit? Or would it be that you look up stats and seem to think quantity of INT's = BALLER status?

A Perfect Score
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Brandon Flowers was a damn good CB for Eric Berry got to KC, and Id venture to say that if the Chiefs had went a different direction with the pick that Flowers would still be a damn good CB.

Splat
09-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Brandon Flowers is a freaking stud, I love that he has no fear vs the run game like some CB's.

terribletowel39
09-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Call me homer but if offensive lineman could win the award, Pouncey would have his hat in the ring. He has made a really really crappy line a pretty darn good one. And has been excellent against everyone he has faced so far.

This week, he will get Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata, so I am excited to see how he does with that.

K Train
09-30-2010, 01:14 PM
pouncey has been pure sweet sexual magic at the line of scrimmage, at the LB level and in the secondary. just so dominate and technically sound

V.I.P
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
This week, he will get Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata, so I am excited to see how he does with that.

Ravens play 4-3 now?

Basileus777
09-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Berry gave up two long passes, one because he bit on play action, and another because he doubled Gates when he should have picked up Nanee running down the field, and now he's a bust and can't cover?

There's no real way to tell exactly how effective he's been in coverage from broadcast camera angles, but a few bad decisions as a rookie safety doesn't mean much.

terribletowel39
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Ravens play 4-3 now?
Most of the time. It surprised me too. Just found out they have been running it a lot and will more so this game due to injuries.

soybean
09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Berry gave up two long passes, one because he bit on play action, and another because he doubled Gates when he should have picked up Nanee running down the field, and now he's a bust and can't cover?

There's no real way to tell exactly how effective he's been in coverage from broadcast camera angles, but a few bad decisions as a rookie safety doesn't mean much.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate but...

Where exactly are you guys getting this from?

Basileus777
09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't mean to play devil's advocate but...

Where exactly are you guys getting this from?

Sorry, I guess one here said that. Jason Whitlock wrote an article basically implying he's a bust though.

vidae
09-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah but Jason Whitlock is an idiot.

T-RICH49
09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
thank god Whitlock's gone fom the Star

Splat
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Jason Whitlock is and always will be a Chiefs hater.

TitanHope
09-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Predraft, Morton was stubbornly adamant that the Chiefs would pass on Berry to take Bulaga, and even said he'd come back to the thread we were all arguing it in to laugh at the KC fans and other posters who were arguing for Berry when the Chiefs took Bulaga.

He's probably still butt hurt that he made an imbecile of himself. I wouldn't take anything he says on the topic seriously.

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Berry will be way better in coverage than Earl Thomas, just like he was in college. He's more aggressive, which will cause some issues at the moment, but he's gonna be a stud, and is a big part of why KC's D has been so good.

vidae
09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Predraft, Morton was stubbornly adamant that the Chiefs would pass on Berry to take Bulaga, and even said he'd come back to the thread we were all arguing it in to laugh at the KC fans and other posters who were arguing for Berry when the Chiefs took Bulaga.

He's probably still butt hurt that he made an imbecile of himself. I wouldn't take anything he says on the topic seriously.

Holy ****, you're right, that was him. I remember someone doing it, I just didn't remember that it was him. I wish I could rep you again for being such a badass all the time.

Morton
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Berry will be way better in coverage than Earl Thomas, just like he was in college. He's more aggressive, which will cause some issues at the moment, but he's gonna be a stud, and is a big part of why KC's D has been so good.

What facts do you have to back up this statement, exactly?

Morton
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM

I just thought it was dumb for a GM to pick a safety with a top 5 pick because safeties are such unimportant positions in the grand scheme of football. I was trying to tell KC fans that Pioli was too smart to make such a mistake, but I guess I was wrong.

The fact remains that Berry has looked pretty underwhelming (especially in coverage) in his first three games, and hardly the elite safety he was projected to be. He could improve, but I'm not seeing it so far. At this moment, I think taking a OT to improve OL depth would have been the smarter move, but we won't know for sure until this season, and possibly next season, is completed.

Why do I feel this way? Because if a safety is to be picked in the top 10, let alone the top 5, of a draft, he has to be a *true* impact safety. He has to be able to make plays in the passing games by forcing turnovers. It's as simple as that. Eric Berry may end up being a solid safety, but to justify a top 5 pick, he has to be more than that because top 10 picks should not be spent on non-premium positions if the GM is competent unless those non-premium players are exceptional game-changing players. If he eventually does turn into someone who is capable of making game-changing plays in the passing game, then I perhaps this selection will be justified. But as of right now, all I see is a decent safety who flashes ability in run support but looks mostly lost in coverage.

Instead of picking a safety for the Chiefs, a smart GM would have bolstered his team in the trenches, because football is won and lost in the trenches. Having invested alot of money already in the defensive line, Pioli & Co. would have been wise to select a tackle such as Russell Okung or Trent Williams. IF they had, maybe their reliance on mediocre players like Branden Albert to protect the most important position in the game (Cassel) wouldn't have begun to cause problems for them already. Check this out from profootballfocus.com:

" Much like the 49ers, itís tempting to continue the message of positivity here, but it wasnít all good for the Chiefs. Left tackle Brandon Albert was poor. He surrendered a hit and a pressure on Matt Cassel, enough to push him into a negative grade (-0.3) for pass protection, but he was routinely exposed as a run-blocker, allowing his man to disrupt the play far too often."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/09/29/re-focused-week-3-49ers-at-chiefs/

stephenson86
09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
You sir, are a fool. How can you judge a player after 3 GAMES 3 ******* GAMES...good christ. Earl Thomas gets 2 INT's in a game where Rivers is forced to pass and he is suddenly Jesus Christ Mother ******* Superstar. Give me a ******* break. Taking a tackle would have been a massively unnecessary move as Albert is just fine at LT and you don't select a RT with the 5th pick (Sorry Cincy, you just don't). Morton...seriously man think before you type, then review what you have just written, think to yourself and look hard at what you are saying...likely hood is you will just delete what you put because like all other things you have said in your 644 posts it will be ********.

IMO EB = ET

TitanHope
09-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I just thought it was dumb for a GM to pick a safety with a top 5 pick because safeties are such unimportant positions in the grand scheme of football. I was trying to tell KC fans that Pioli was too smart to make such a mistake, but I guess I was wrong.

No, you carried yourself like an arrogant jackass, and in the end the entire argument backfired in your face. Typically, when an entire fanbase on here is arguing, "Nah bruh, this is probably how it's gonna be," people will take the hint and stay open minded. And you're again showing your unwarranted overconfidence with your slight against Pioli, a wildly successful NFL GM/president, by saying he wasn't smart as you thought because he did something you agreed with, you condescending jackass.

Berry isn't Troy Polamalu as a rookie. Go ******* figure. You were still wrong and are just butthurt and looking for an escuse to make yourself even look the tiniest bit correct.

vidae
09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
He has made an impact for the Chiefs but he has only played three games. THREE. I'll reserve judgement until he has a season under his belt.

And the Chiefs, through three games, have surrendered TWO sacks. I'm fine with not taking an OT fifth overall.

XxXdragonXxX
09-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Guys, guys, guys....

Can we all just agree on something...that I was right about Taylor Mays being a bust?

Basileus777
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM
ProFootballFocus? Well, that explains it. It's probably the worst NFL statistics site out there.

hawkeye123
09-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Guys, guys, guys....

Can we all just agree on something...that I was right about Taylor Mays being a bust?

Are you being sarcastic?

I don't have enough internet intelligence to tell.

soybean
09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

well two tackles and a special teamer doesn't exactly come off as a world beater.

XxXdragonXxX
09-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

Sorta...I did say he will be a bust, but I'm not ready to announce that I was right yet.

hawkeye123
09-30-2010, 10:48 PM
well two tackles and a special teamer doesn't exactly come off as a world beater.

I don't think anyone expected him to start and make a huge impact right away, that might be why he fell to the 2nd round, but maybe that's just my opinion.

SenorGato
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
He has made an impact for the Chiefs but he has only played three games. THREE. I'll reserve judgement until he has a season under his belt.

And the Chiefs, through three games, have surrendered TWO sacks. I'm fine with not taking an OT fifth overall.

I never got why you guys needed an OT so desperately in the first place according to these experts...Brandon Albert's going to be a good LT for a long time.

Getting him at 15 was like the Ravens getting Ngata at 15...talented players who coulda/woulda/shoulda went in the top 10 but didn't due to the depth in their draft.

Berry's going to be a stud.

Basileus777
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I never got why you guys needed an OT so desperately in the first place according to these experts...Brandon Albert's going to be a good LT for a long time.

Hell, the line as a whole is fine. We need to draft a replacement for Wiegmann and a RT if Richardson doesn't work out. Nothing that warrants a high pick, especially for a mediocre prospect like Bulaga.

The real problem is we have a inaccurate quarterback with awful pocket awareness. The line is actually good at run blocking (like last year after LJ was cut), and has protected Cassel fine so far, just as it improved in pass protection the 2nd half of last year.

Saints-Tigers
10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Suh looks dominant early on, already with 12 tackles(10 solo) and 2 sacks.

Dude is special, really makes me laugh that people thought his pass rushing wouldn't translate, or that McCoy was a better prospect.

yourfavestoner
10-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Suh looks dominant early on, already with 12 tackles(10 solo) and 2 sacks.

Dude is special, really makes me laugh that people thought his pass rushing wouldn't translate, or that McCoy was a better prospect.

Tyson Alualu>Gerald McCoy.

There, I said it. :)

bam bam
10-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by V-I-P View Post
Ravens play 4-3 now?Most of the time. It surprised me too. Just found out they have been running it a lot and will more so this game due to injuries.

I would say its more of a hybrid. They have tons of guys who can play inside and outside on the line, as well as Suggs and Johnson who can put their hand in the dirt as well as play OLB. But since Mattison has come aboard they have definitely been running more four man fronts.