PDA

View Full Version : Denard Robinson

stephenson86
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Discuss...

What is this kids future prospects as an NFL player?

Werowance
09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
This guy is a future RB in the NFL, he is a better prospect than Pat White because Robinson actually has the skill set to play RB instead of just being a wildcat guy.

Duffman57
09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
He's the next OW. He's gonna be an Offensive Weapon. He'll play WR, RB, return kicks, Punts and probably play the wildcat. Somewhat like McCluster, but bigger.

P-L
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
He needs to put on a little weight, but I can totally buy him as a running back. He's got excellent vision.

RealityCheck
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I see him as a Daniel Thomas-kind of guy: a QB who turns into a big, versatile RB.

I see him going in the mid-rounds some years from now.

BeerBaron
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
He needs to bulk up for sure, but give him 2 more years at school plus an offseason in the pros and he'll be ready to do some damage.

I agree with those saying a mid-rounder as an all purpose offensive weapon.

Mr.Regular
09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
He needs to bulk up for sure, but give him 2 more years at school plus an offseason in the pros and he'll be ready to do some damage.

I agree with those saying a mid-rounder as an all purpose offensive weapon.
If he keeps up what hes shown the past 2 games, I think hes going higher than the mid rounds.
He looks really special. Someone would gladly pull the trigger on this kid early IMO. His potential is immense. That speed, vision, and athleticism is ridic. I see an early second round type prospect.

GB12
09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
He needs to put on a little weight, but I can totally buy him as a running back. He's got excellent vision.

How accurate is the 193 most places have him listed as? He looks smaller than that.

Mr.Regular
09-16-2010, 06:31 PM
How accurate is the 193 most places have him listed as? He looks smaller than that.
He really does. Id think closer to 180 at least. But even if he bulks up say 10-15 pounds the next year or two, then thatd be adequate IMO.

The big test for his status as pro prospect is how he holds up over a full season getting hit. I want to see how durable he is.

descendency
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
At his current 5'10" 180 (i'll believe the other numbers at the combine), 0 percent change in the NFL.

I want to see how he plays after adding 15-20 pounds.

underscore
09-16-2010, 07:32 PM
We'll see how he holds up after a Big Ten schedule

Brodeur
09-16-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm thinking a slightly better and blacker John Elway.

ElectricEye
09-16-2010, 08:10 PM
The NFL will probably suspend him or fine him all the damn time for not tying his shoes.

P-L
09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Denard weighed in at 176 during the 2008 Scout.com Combine in Miami. He is noticeably bigger now than he was in high school. I'm not sure if 193 is accurate, but I don't think it's that large of an exaggeration.

wonderbredd24
09-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Armantii Edwards went in round 2... no reason Robinson can't do that if he continues to play well and be the phenominal athlete he is

BeerBaron
09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking a slightly better and blacker John Elway.

Is it too early for Denardzzzzz?

prock
09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Joe Webb! Only his coach won't try and make him a quarterback when he clearly is not.

TitanHope
09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Armantii Edwards went in round 2... no reason Robinson can't do that if he continues to play well and be the phenominal athlete he is

*Round 3

But yeah, someone will take him. If not alone for the Josh Cribbs factor, which factored into Armanti going so high.

Caulibflower
09-17-2010, 01:34 AM
I'd like to see a team try him at quarterback. Like Tennessee. That would be freaking terrifying.

keylime_5
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
he doesn't really have the size or the arm to play QB at the next level. At this point I'd say WR/return man ala Josh Cribbs. Funny that we're talking about this after the guy's had like 2 starts.

MiWolves
09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
he doesn't really have the size or the arm to play QB at the next level. At this point I'd say WR/return man ala Josh Cribbs. Funny that we're talking about this after the guy's had like 2 starts.

He also broke Michigan's offensive records in both weeks. I honestly think he'll be a slot receiver in the NFL. He has all the potential in the world to be one of the most dangerous offensive weapons.

Ozzy
09-17-2010, 08:47 AM
To any of those who watched him play at Indiana it is clear that Robinson is most like Antwaan Randle El and probably will be moved to receiver in the NFL as a slot/return guy.

Michigan
09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
he legitimately weighed around 190 during spring practices. he's a lot bigger than last year, when he was around 176.

i'd call him a faster version of devin hester.

MiWolves
09-17-2010, 08:54 AM
he legitimately weighed around 190 during spring practices. he's a lot bigger than last year, when he was around 176.

i'd call him a faster version of devin hester.

I also see Wes Welker in him, a much much more faster Wes Welker...

Ozzy
09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
i'd call him a faster version of devin hester.Faster than Devin Hester? Are you serious? I really doubt that is the case, Hester in his prime is arguably one of the best return men ever, and at Miami he was by far one of the fastest college players I have seen.

Michael Vick was super fast, I do not think Robinson is quite that fast, same with Randle El, they are more quick and elusive than just straight out mind blowing speed.

Let us all realize again that most of his success is because of that much improve offensive line, they are pretty solid all across the board. And have more than one NFL prospect on that line as well. You take out that good blocking Robinson's productive would be far less I feel.

Michigan
09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Faster than Devin Hester? Are you serious? I really doubt that is the case, Hester in his prime is arguably one of the best return men ever, and at Miami he was by far one of the fastest college players I have seen.

Michael Vick was super fast, I do not think Robinson is quite that fast, same with Randle El, they are more quick and elusive than just straight out mind blowing speed.

Let us all realize again that most of his success is because of that much improve offensive line, they are pretty solid all across the board. And have more than one NFL prospect on that line as well. You take out that good blocking Robinson's productive would be far less I feel.

robinson's straight up speed. florida 4A state champion in the 4x100m relay and 3rd in the 100m. a lot of his best runs are chris johnson-esque get-through-the-whole-faster-than-you-ever-thought-possible-and-blow-by-out-of-position-DBs types.

hL9Dl0-SvpU

tIEn_Xb_yd8

noone's gonna catch that.

703SKINS202
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Not that it's accurate at all but I was curious so I ran a stop watch on him from the 15 to the opposition 45 in the ND clip to gauge a 40 and I got no higher than a 4.3 every time.

P-L
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Hester ran a 10.42 100m his freshman year at Miami. Denard ran a 10.28 100m his senior year of High School

Ozzy
09-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Hester ran a 10.42 100m his freshman year at Miami. Denard ran a 10.28 100m his senior year of High SchoolThat is great, we will see if Denard Robinson will be as productive as a kickoff return man and punt return man then in the NFL with that world class speed. Will wait and see huh.

ironman4579
09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
That is great, we will see if Denard Robinson will be as productive as a kickoff return man and punt return man then in the NFL with that world class speed. Will wait and see huh.

And that has what, exactly, to do with whether Robinson is faster than Hester or not?

Seeing as how Robinson will be a coming in as a guy that played QB his whole college career and never returned a punt or kick, I'm sure that will give us worlds of data about which guy's faster.............

Ozzy
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
And that has what, exactly, to do with whether Robinson is faster than Hester or not?

Seeing as how Robinson will be a coming in as a guy that played QB his whole college career and never returned a punt or kick, I'm sure that will give us worlds of data about which guy's faster.............I am speaking in regards to football speed, this is not track. And I say kick off returns or punt returns because more often than not the fastest players do those jobs for obvious reasons. Aka Deion Sanders and Darrell Green to get a little history in there. Thus if he is indeed that blazing fast, why would one not put him as a kick return or punt return man?

Antwaan Randle El in his career at Indiana passed for 7,469 yards and rushed for 3,895 yards while getting 92 touchdowns running and passing. Denard might be on his way to being that productive but he still has a long way to go and must stay healthy for a long time. Will see if he can do it.

Just putting a little perspective on this entire Denard Robinson train and or bandwagon party factory.... ;o)

Still fun to watch, cannot wait to see him against the best defenses in the Big Ten, see if he can keep it up.

ironman4579
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I am speaking in regards to football speed, this is not track. And I say kick off returns or punt returns because more often than not the fastest players do those jobs for obvious reasons. Aka Deion Sanders and Darrell Green to get a little history in there. Thus if he is indeed that blazing fast, why would one not put him as a kick return or punt return man?

Again, which guy is a better return man has absolutely no bearing on which guy is faster. That's fairly simple logic.

As for football speed vs track speed, we have no idea which guy is faster in that regard. Both guy's have clearly shown the ability to run away from defenders and outrun angles. Football speed is purely subjective. We have one objective measurement, and that is a track time, where Robinson is clearly faster.

DeathbyStat
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Wild cat QB or slot WR....thats about it

Ozzy
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Again, which guy is a better return man has absolutely no bearing on which guy is faster. That's fairly simple logic.

As for football speed vs track speed, we have no idea which guy is faster in that regard. Both guy's have clearly shown the ability to run away from defenders and outrun angles. Football speed is purely subjective. We have one objective measurement, and that is a track time, where Robinson is clearly faster.All great logical points made.

However the problem I have with supposedly proving Robinson is faster than Hester. What based off 100 times? What about 40 times?

Hester has ran anywhere from a 4.27 to a 4.24. Where Robinson ran a 4.32 in high school? Statistics can be used anyway you want, and there is a reason the hallmark time is the 40 meter time and not the 100 meter time. And based on the 40, Hester is faster? Unless Robinson has run better recently? Give me a break and give me game productive and game speed.

Not sure how official this list is, but I found it on the internet, kind of interesting to look at. But yeah shows that yes times are not everything and guys like Ginn are no way in hell faster than a guy like Deion Sanders. Same with saying Coles is faster than Randy Moss. Or that Stanford Routt or Fabian Washington mean anything at this level, talk about being drafted just on your 40 time Mr. Routt.

1. Ted Ginn Jr. (4.06)
2. Alexander Wright (4.09)
3. Michael Bennett (4.13)
4. Bo Jackson (4.14)
5. DeAngelo Hall (4.15)
6. Darrell Green (4.15)
7. Lavernaues Coles (4.16)
8. Deion Sanders (4.17)
9. Joey Galloway (4.18)
10. Ahman Green (4.19)
11. Laveranues Coles (4.2)
12. Don Beebe (4.21)
13. Donte Stallworth (4.22)
14. Ryan Dotson (4.24)
15. Michael Vick (4.25)
16. Randy Moss (4.25)
17. Willie Parker (4.23)
18. Chris Johnson (4.24)
19. Devin Hester (4.24)
20. Champ Bailey (4.28)
21. Willis McGahee (4.28)
22. Stanford Routt (4.29)
23. Fabian Washington(4.29)
24. Reggie Bush (4.33)
25. Darren McFadden (4.33)

But yes in the end we will see what happens, but that is why I have trouble with timed speed, because it does not mean game speed but I do agree it is the only constant you have across the board when analyzing.

keylime_5
09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
didn't hester run like a 4.6 at the combine? I'm sure he was hurt or whatever, but I know he ran a slow combine time and then like a 4.4 at his pro day. Not sure what the big deal is about who is faster between Hester and Robinson, both are really fast. But for argument's sake the only factual statistical comparison we have is that Robinson ran a faster 100 time in high school than Hester has ever ran in competition. You can be a beast return man and not be that fast. Josh Cribbs is the best kick returner in the NFL and he's not all about speed (runs between 4.5 and 4.7), he has great vision, balance, power and sets up blocks extremely well.

Saints-Tigers
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
All great logical points made.

However the problem I have with supposedly proving Robinson is faster than Hester. What based off 100 times? What about 40 times?

Hester has ran anywhere from a 4.27 to a 4.24. Where Robinson ran a 4.32 in high school? Statistics can be used anyway you want, and there is a reason the hallmark time is the 40 meter time and not the 100 meter time. And based on the 40, Hester is faster? Unless Robinson has run better recently? Give me a break and give me game productive and game speed.

Not sure how official this list is, but I found it on the internet, kind of interesting to look at. But yeah shows that yes times are not everything and guys like Ginn are no way in hell faster than a guy like Deion Sanders. Same with saying Coles is faster than Randy Moss. Or that Stanford Routt or Fabian Washington mean anything at this level, talk about being drafted just on your 40 time Mr. Routt.

1. Ted Ginn Jr. (4.06)
4. Bo Jackson (4.14)
5. DeAngelo Hall (4.15)
6. Darrell Green (4.15)
8. Deion Sanders (4.17)
9. Joey Galloway (4.18)
10. Ahman Green (4.19)
12. Don Beebe (4.21)
14. Ryan Dotson (4.24)
15. Michael Vick (4.25)
16. Randy Moss (4.25)
17. Willie Parker (4.23)
18. Chris Johnson (4.24)
19. Devin Hester (4.24)
20. Champ Bailey (4.28)
24. Reggie Bush (4.33)

But yes in the end we will see what happens, but that is why I have trouble with timed speed, because it does not mean game speed but I do agree it is the only constant you have across the board when analyzing.

Lol, this list is laughable. Willis McGahee 4.28, hahaha.

PrimetimeTheDon
09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
At his current 5'10" 180 (i'll believe the other numbers at the combine), 0 percent change in the NFL.

How people are still making comments like this, let alone on an nfl draft site, is beyond me.

Tell me, how big is Dexter McCluster? What was his forty time?

Bigger, faster, stronger, better.

Robinson is the truth. Elite speed and vision and patience. First round pick.

Caulibflower
09-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Is there no one here who will even entertain the thought of Denard being given a chance to throw the ball on a regular basis in the NFL? Say he pioneers a role where he's one of two players lining up side by side in the shotgun, either one of them a threat to run or pass. That's what I see the next stage of the wildcat being; a group of running backs who can all throw. If you could pair him with another mobile quarterback in the NFL, Mike Vick in Philadelphia, VY in Tennessee, Tebow in Denver, Cribbs with the Browns, or even give Michael Robinson some throwing opportunities in Seattle; you'd have two guys right next to each other who can throw the ball whenever they want, but are good enough runners that they were drafted with that specifically in mind. It'd lessen a lot of the worries coaches normally have when losing a quarterback. Vince Young, Chris Johnson, and Denard Robinson all on the field at the same time? Put Robinson in motion, hand it to him on the sweep and he bombs it to Kenny Britt. All CJ2K has to do is celebrate. In this fantasy, I can also imagine Josh McDanials' crazy ass cooking up ways to have Tim Tebow lead block for Denard and then release his man to catch the jump pass being thrown to him.

Denard as some team's other scrambling quarterback. It'll be the coolest thing ever. Seriously, the guy's throws against Notre Dame's better-than-average defense were nearly all perfect spirals. He's got an arm.

king2am
09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Seriously, the guy's throws against Notre Dame's better-than-average defense were nearly all perfect spirals. He's got an arm.

And almost all of Peyton's throws seem to go end over end - who cares if the kid can spin it?

He'll be a better McCluster imo.

PoopSandwich
09-18-2010, 07:18 PM
He's Josh Cribbs 2.0 from what I've seen... Josh wasn't very big when he came into the league but he put on alot of muscle.

I don't really mean he's Josh as in the whole way he plays, Josh runs people over Denard seems to be amazing at making people miss, but the whole WR/RB/QB/GUNNER roll seems to be what he could do in the pros to make a name for himself.

descendency
09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
How people are still making comments like this, let alone on an nfl draft site, is beyond me.

Tell me, how big is Dexter McCluster? What was his forty time?

Bigger, faster, stronger, better.

Robinson is the truth. Elite speed and vision and patience. First round pick.

What round did Dexter McCluster go in? The first?

edit: When it's time for him to declare, I might change my opinion but the NFL hasn't been about small guys for very long because they tend to have short careers due to injuries from colliding with bigger guys.

PickedOffTwice
09-19-2010, 03:47 AM
I just saw the highlights of the UMass game and I must say the kid doesn't have a half bad arm. He puts some zip on there, can throw it over the top with some accuracy and seems to be able to stick it into relatively tight spots.

The only bad thing is: He will not develop further as a passer in college because Rodriguez's offense doesn't require that. He will neither learn to make proper reads nor work on his release and footwork at all in college.

That is why he will have a hard time coming into the pro's.

Sniper
09-19-2010, 03:58 PM
1. Ted Ginn Jr. (4.06)

Video proof or get the **** out.

Sniper
09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I do not think Robinson is quite that fast, same with Randle El, they are more quick and elusive than just straight out mind blowing speed.

I really wish you'd stop posting dumb ****. Michigan posted two fine examples of Denard's absurd speed. If anything, I wish he were a little more elusive. But questioning his speed? Give me a ******* break. He ran a 6.81 at his first track meet last year with barely any practice.

Let us all realize again that most of his success is because of that much improve offensive line, they are pretty solid all across the board. And have more than one NFL prospect on that line as well.

Both of the tackles are below-average. Omameh is a redshirt sophomore who has started less than five games. Stop it. Just stop it.

You take out that good blocking Robinson's productive would be far less I feel.

Really? If you take out blocking, stats go down? Holy ****, man. This is some truly mind-blowing stuff. Next thing you're going to tell me is that if wide receivers don't consistently get open, passing stats go down. The guy's got 559 rushing yards on 7.6 per carry. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's pretty good.

Sniper
09-19-2010, 04:05 PM

I want to see how he plays after adding 15-20 pounds.

http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=3582324

Somebody should let Denard know that he shrunk two inches since the 2008 Miami combine.

jballa838
09-19-2010, 07:19 PM
He's a homerun threat, his mechanics aren't half bad and he is deadly with the ball in his hands. One of a few QB who I've ever seen and thought he could be a great WR instantly. It helps he is the fastest player on the field any play too. If Tebow can go round one, I don't see any reason why Denard couldnt.

SickwithIt1010
09-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Video proof or get the **** out.

thats exactly what i was thinking, ive never heard anything of Ginn running a 4.06

M.O.T.H.
09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
That really is a garbage 40 list. Damn near all of them are wrong.

FuzzyGopher
09-19-2010, 11:10 PM
That really is a garbage 40 list. Damn near all of them are wrong.

Any 40 list without KickMikeHass on it is inaccurate in my eyes.

jballa838
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
6'0"

6'3"

one means you're an nfl qb prospect, and the other doesn't.

further, there was only one coach dumb enough to take tebow in the first. so if you didn't see *any* reasons, you probably weren't actually looking.
I didn't want to look.

yourfavestoner
09-20-2010, 12:52 AM

1. Ted Ginn Jr. (4.06)
4. Bo Jackson (4.14)
5. DeAngelo Hall (4.15)
6. Darrell Green (4.15)
8. Deion Sanders (4.17)
9. Joey Galloway (4.18)
10. Ahman Green (4.19)
12. Don Beebe (4.21)
14. Ryan Dotson (4.24)
15. Michael Vick (4.25)
16. Randy Moss (4.25)
17. Willie Parker (4.23)
18. Chris Johnson (4.24)
19. Devin Hester (4.24)
20. Champ Bailey (4.28)
24. Reggie Bush (4.33)

WTF were all those times run on the Virginia Tech track?

Saints-Tigers
09-20-2010, 01:53 AM
WTF were all those times run on the Virginia Tech track?

That, or they all played in the SEC.

TACKLE
09-20-2010, 04:23 AM
That, or they all played in the SEC.

Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah.

Those times were fast...but not that fast.

FUNBUNCHER
09-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Ted GInn never was listed anywhere, or stated himself that he ran a sub 4.2.

And Deangelo Hall is not a 4.1 guy, if he was, he'd have the recovery speed to make plays after getting burned in coverage.

Too much hype about 40 times, game speed is what it's all about.

Ozzy
09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
WTF were all those times run on the Virginia Tech track?Like I said, they are not official times, just something I found. Clearly internet resources off quick searches are not always accurate. Still shows that point that track times are track times, football is football and speed does not always translate.

Want me to go back over the past 10 years, get the combine numbers I have and provide more proof I can, however that would take quite awhile. So instead I found this list that shows the point that just a fast 40 times does not mean one is fast in terms of football speed on the field.

Also of note, one could argue on the football field Taylor Martinez of Nebraska is just as fast as Denard Robinson. Denard has designed quarterback running plays ran for him, but Martinez at times just flat out scrambles for 80 yards down field. Both great fun to watch in college, I always enjoyed watching running quarterbacks.

MiWolves
09-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Like I said, they are not official times, just something I found. Clearly internet resources off quick searches are not always accurate. Still shows that point that track times are track times, football is football and speed does not always translate.

Want me to go back over the past 10 years, get the combine numbers I have and provide more proof I can, however that would take quite awhile. So instead I found this list that shows the point that just a fast 40 times does not mean one is fast in terms of football speed on the field.

Also of note, one could argue on the football field Taylor Martinez of Nebraska is just as fast as Denard Robinson. Denard has designed quarterback running plays ran for him, but Martinez at times just flat out scrambles for 80 yards down field. Both great fun to watch in college, I always enjoyed watching running quarterbacks.

Um what game were you watching? He had designed runs like Denard did. TBH Nebraska is playing the option more with Taylor Martinez at QB.

ElectricEye
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
We know he's fast at this point. NFL fast. He will have to find another position though. Don't see much of a chance for him to stick at quarterback.

Ozzy
09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Um what game were you watching? He had designed runs like Denard did. TBH Nebraska is playing the option more with Taylor Martinez at QB.True, I probably miss spoke, not sure I would call it option though more like a "pistol" formation with draw plays and play action runs.

jballa838
09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
True, I probably miss spoke, not sure I would call it option though more like a "pistol" formation with draw plays and play action runs.
No, it's a Zone Read Option. It's the same thing they ran at WVU, Oregon, Nevada, etc. every play he has the Option to keep the ball depending on what the readman (backside DE or OLB, depending on front) does, and when he does keep it you get a one on one with the safety or contain guy. He just wins that battle against Western Kentucky, Idaho, and UW defenses that aren't all that good. He runs it really well though, and he is fast enough to outrun a lot of people on the field.

xxxxxxxx
09-20-2010, 10:25 AM

1. Ted Ginn Jr. (4.06)
4. Bo Jackson (4.14)
5. DeAngelo Hall (4.15)
6. Darrell Green (4.15)
8. Deion Sanders (4.17)
9. Joey Galloway (4.18)
10. Ahman Green (4.19)
12. Don Beebe (4.21)
14. Ryan Dotson (4.24)
15. Michael Vick (4.25)
16. Randy Moss (4.25)
17. Willie Parker (4.23)
18. Chris Johnson (4.24)
19. Devin Hester (4.24)
20. Champ Bailey (4.28)
24. Reggie Bush (4.33)

The top half of that list is bullsh*ttttt lol. Ted Ginn.. 4.06? haha then i run a 2.72.

PrimetimeTheDon
09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
What round did Dexter McCluster go in? The first?

edit: When it's time for him to declare, I might change my opinion but the NFL hasn't been about small guys for very long because they tend to have short careers due to injuries from colliding with bigger guys.

The 2nd. Despite being a midget with a 4.6 time.

PrimetimeTheDon
09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the forty list that was posted was garbage. Since everyone else has already said it, I might as well too.

Denard in the 1st. Belie' Dat.

steelcrew43
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
^ not at qb

katnip
09-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Looks like the next Armanti Edwards to me

PrimetimeTheDon
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Just an update, I saw Robinson's 44 yd TD touchdown this weekend. This is how it played out.

They line up in 3rd and 1 and I'm like - lolz, no way Denard doesn't get this ****.

So they run essentially a stretch play with the QB and the defense has it incredibly well defended. They have a backside pursuiter unblocked and a guy completely taking the corner away at the sidelines, unblocked, and I kind of raise my eyebrows and think - ****, maybe he won't get it.

Then, Denard Robinson cuts inside with a ******* dirty move about 2 yards from the sideline, splits both unblocked defenders, and zig-zags his way 44 yards for the score.

It looked like Chris Johnson.

ElectricEye
09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Just an update, I saw Robinson's 44 yd TD touchdown this weekend. This is how it played out.

They line up in 3rd and 1 and I'm like - lolz, no way Denard doesn't get this ****.

So they run essentially a stretch play with the QB and the defense has it incredibly well defended. They have a backside pursuiter unblocked and a guy completely taking the corner away at the sidelines, unblocked, and I kind of raise my eyebrows and think - ****, maybe he won't get it.

Then, Denard Robinson cuts inside with a ******* dirty move about 2 yards from the sideline, splits both unblocked defenders, and zig-zags his way 44 yards for the score.

It looked like Chris Johnson.
His little cuts and his feet are just as impressive as his straightline speed. Dude is a baller.

shylo3716
10-29-2011, 02:47 PM

FUNBUNCHER
10-29-2011, 03:02 PM
He's a homerun threat, his mechanics aren't half bad and he is deadly with the ball in his hands. One of a few QB who I've ever seen and thought he could be a great WR instantly. It helps he is the fastest player on the field any play too. If Tebow can go round one, I don't see any reason why Denard couldnt.

I know people don't like to hear this, but I kind of think Denard if he wanted could play QB in the NFL. He doesn't have Vick's arm and he probably makes more money and plays as a skill position player, but IMO if Robinson wanted he could get it done at QB in the pros.

I prefer to see him go to a team with a creative offensive coordinator who sees Denard's role as a pure playmaker; inside and outside the pocket, under center/shotgun, in the slot, out wide, and on specials.

IMO he should touch the ball 15+ times a game at least.

jrdrylie
10-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I know people don't like to hear this, but I kind of think Denard if he wanted could play QB in the NFL. He doesn't have Vick's arm and he probably makes more money and plays as a skill position player, but IMO if Robinson wanted he could get it done at QB in the pros.

I prefer to see him go to a team with a creative offensive coordinator who sees Denard's role as a pure playmaker; inside and outside the pocket, under center/shotgun, in the slot, out wide, and on specials.

IMO he should touch the ball 15+ times a game at least.

Absolutely not. He can't read defenses. He makes one read and then takes off. His deep ball accuracy is some of the worst I have ever seen. He just throws the ball up in the air and it looks like a punt. If he was a starter in the NFL, he would throw 25 picks if he played all 16 games, which he wouldn't because he would be put on the IR by week 5.

RaiderNation
10-29-2011, 04:09 PM
He's worth a 3rd round pick, but he won't ever be a dynamic weapon in the NFL. He can be a slot/wildcat type player that can have the same impact as Brad Smith does. The Jets could be a landing spot since they don't have a replacement for Smith.

jrdrylie
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM
He's worth a 3rd round pick, but he won't ever be a dynamic weapon in the NFL. He can be a slot/wildcat type player that can have the same impact as Brad Smith does. The Jets could be a landing spot since they don't have a replacement for Smith.

Nobody is going to waste a 3rd on Robinson. The Wildcat is dead. Teams still run it from time to time, but I think offensive coordinators are slowly learning that it doesn't work in the NFL for a sustained amount of time.

descendency
10-29-2011, 04:29 PM
No, it's a Zone Read Option. It's the same thing they ran at WVU, Oregon, Nevada, etc. every play he has the Option to keep the ball depending on what the readman (backside DE or OLB, depending on front) does, and when he does keep it you get a one on one with the safety or contain guy. He just wins that battle against Western Kentucky, Idaho, and UW defenses that aren't all that good. He runs it really well though, and he is fast enough to outrun a lot of people on the field.

WVU uses a spread "option" now.

bucfan12
10-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Think Eric Crouch. Couldn't find a position for him in the nfl.

I don't think RObinson could suceed at RB. He's small, but most of his runs are when he's outside the pocket. It's different when you have RB speed and you play QB to break runs than when you're at RB.

He';ll be drafted in the 4th/5th round range and tried out as a WR/KR.

FUNBUNCHER
10-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't think Denard will have that difficult a time switching positions as some might believe.

I just believe the guy is a good enough pure athlete like Hester to play WR fulltime and be at least a game breaking slot guy.

No random skill position player in their right mind would volunteer to play RB if they had the skillset to play WR.

BTW people are really underrating his speed. If he runs higher than a 4.40 flat at the combine, I would be shocked.
Robinson has the ability to run the fastest 40 at the combine whenever he comes out.

WMD
10-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Denard is the man, but he gets injured too much.. I don't know if he could hold up as a RB or Returner.

shylo3716
10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Having a decent year at QB, but will he become a draft prospect come January or will he comeback for his Sr. year?

Either way anyone looks at Robinson's prospects he cannot raise his draft stock.

jrdrylie
10-29-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't think Denard will have that difficult a time switching positions as some might believe.

I just believe the guy is a good enough pure athlete like Hester to play WR fulltime and be at least a game breaking slot guy.

No random skill position player in their right mind would volunteer to play RB if they had the skillset to play WR.

BTW people are really underrating his speed. If he runs higher than a 4.40 flat at the combine, I would be shocked.
Robinson has the ability to run the fastest 40 at the combine whenever he comes out.

Maybe as a slot receiver or returner. But you said he could be successful as a QB and I strongly disagree with that statement.

FUNBUNCHER
10-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Maybe as a slot receiver or returner. But you said he could be successful as a QB and I strongly disagree with that statement.

I said I thought he could play QB in the NFL, his level of success or lack thereof I don't have any idea.

Put it this way, I like Denard Robinson as a QB pro prospect better than I like Terrelle Pryor.

jrdrylie
10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I said I thought he could play QB in the NFL, his level of success or lack thereof I don't have any idea.

Put it this way, I like Denard Robinson as a QB pro prospect better than I like Terrelle Pryor.

I don't even agree there. Both a sub par passers. Both float their deep passes too much. But Denard is worse than Pryor in that way. Pryor also has NFL size and showed better durability during his college career. I don't know if Pryor will ever be successful as the QB or the Raiders, but I'm sure he'll do more as a QB than Robinson.

niel89
10-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I just can't see him being a productive Qb in the NFL at all. I see more of a Hester utility role. Maybe some carries and catches like McCluster? He is a dynamic player that you need to get the ball in his hands a couple time a game, but you really need to be careful because he gets hurt quite a bit.

ElectricEye
10-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Year old thread, same answer. He's a great, great ball carrier. Find a way to let him use his speed and quickness he'll make plays for you. Clearly not an NFL quarterback though. I highly doubt he comes out this year, but if he is he's most likely slotted somewhere in the late third/early fourth, high curiosity slot. Armanti Edwards is good comparable stock wise, but Robinson is clearly the better prospect between the two in my opinion.

Thecollegedropout
10-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Exactly what I was feeling except the Jets using Robinson.....

Jets like Jeremy Kerley as a wildcat option and even then they've ran that once or twice this season.

Robinson reminds me quite a bit of Brad Smith and I think he can be used as a quality KR and option on QB snaps to strictly run.