PDA

View Full Version : Russell Wilson - Coming Out Party Tonight

GloryDaysRBack
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I do not claim to be some sort of talent evaluator..but in my opinion this kid is incredibly underrated..seems to me, that almost nobody knows who this kid is..

I am thinking all of that is going to change tonight..For those of you who don't know him, he is the QB for NC State...he is on national tv against Cincy and I believe he is going to put on a show..I will be honest and admit that I haven't seen him play as much as I would like..but in the limited action I have seen, I feel like this kid has all of the tools you could ask for..I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he is one of, if not the best QB in his class...whenever he does come out..

What do you guys think about him? Am I overrating him or is he as underrated as I think he is?

Regardless of what you guys think, my opinion will not change lol...he is going to hit the scene tonight and the entire country will see it

Giantsfan1080
09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
He impressed me 2 years ago when he played against Rutgers in the bowl game. Unfortunately I haven't seen much of him since then but from what I've read he is probably better off playing baseball.

RealityCheck
09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
He was drafted, right? I thought he was going to play baseball.

tjsunstein
09-16-2010, 06:01 PM
He's playing baseball when he's done at N.C. State. I've read from multiple news outlet that he was set on it. He's a solid college quarterback, however.

FUNBUNCHER
09-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Mike Glennon is the best pro prospect at QB on N.C. State's roster.

Hurricanes25
09-16-2010, 07:17 PM
He's not even 6'0. It sucks because he doesn't even have a chance.

Don Vito
09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Well he looks good tonight, I'm not shedding a tear because of his height though. He's probably going to be a stud baseball player. At least he has options.

GloryDaysRBack
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM

I will be honest and admit I had no idea that he was that small..that is the only knock I can see on the guy...albeit, a very big knock...that sucks

descendency
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
One of the better college QBs in the ACC and I am overly critical of him (because I'm a student here) but he has zero NFL hope.

ElectricEye
09-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Honestly, Wilson is the type of guy that if he was a little taller, he would excel. As it stands right now, you're right. That gets tossed around quite a bit, but he's the real deal besides his height and maybe his delivery a bit.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
If he was 100% devoted to football I think he'd have a shot to stick as a back up. He's a much better QB than Seneca Wallace for instance (though a worse athlete), so I think he could make a decent career out of holding a clipboard.

The things that will hold him back are:

#1-3297. Height. I don't think he's even 5'11. He got a lot of balls tipped at the line last week (though he was awful all around last week...most of the time it happens just enough to be noticeable)

3298. Accuracy. Not as bad as you'd think from looking at his stat line, for a couple reasons. First of all, he plays in a Tom OBrien/Dana Bible offense. If you remember, they were at BC for the first 2 years of Matt Ryan's career, and they are not afraid to throw the ball downfield or force their QB to make difficult throws. Today was actually one of the easier games I think I've seen Wilson have from a throwing standpoint. Cincy was especially bad at covering RBs/FBs coming out of the flats and they took advantage of it. Prior to this year (and especially during his freshman season), he was also very prone to just throwing the ball out of bounds when he thought nothing was there. You might think this is a good trait, but he overdid it. However, he appears to have mostly eliminated this problem and takes many more chances now

With all that said, he's still not accurate to a level I would call NFL worthy. Very good, and enough so that I think he could become NFL worthy, but not right now. He did a much better job leading his receivers today, but he still put them in awkward positions at times. Re-evaluate at the end of the year?

3299. Injury prone. To some extent, I think this is a bit overstated since all of his injuries came as a RS-Freshman and his body looks thick enough to withstand the NFL. Still, I cringe every time I see him get lit up or fall awkwardly. He got a concussion in his first start vs South Carolina two years ago

3300. Speed. At first glance you may think his scrambling ability is a positive, but I'm not sure he's fast enough for it to really be a positive in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if his 40 was 4.6+ He is very shifty and able to elude tacklers to escape the pocket, but he's not a guy you can expect a ton of rushing yards from at the next level. Perhaps this is a good thing, since he seems to be just slow enough that he's had to become a better passer, I don't know.

Also, pretty much the entirety of his poor games in college have come against defenses with speed off the edges or the ability to dominate the center of the line and get to him. If you watch his games against SoCar or Clemson (or even UCF last week), you wonder if he might be too slow for that level of competition. At the NFL level, it would be even worse. As a counterpoint to this, he has played extremely well against UNC, who have essentially been a professional team the last couple years, albeit not a very good one.

Now, negatives aside, I still think he'd have a chance if he dropped baseball. He is mobile enough for it to be an asset, at least within the pocket, and his arm is strong enough for the NFL (he typically throws down field very well, hooking up with deep threat Owen Spencer, who is the college version of Troy Williamson). And most importantly, he is smart. He doesn't make bad decisions too often, and I feel he would interview very well aside from the fact that he's not totally committed to the sport. He's been coached well by O'Brien and staff, who molded him from a 1 read and go guy his freshman year to a real passer. He's used to receiving the ball under center, though he does spend a lot of time in a shotgun/spread type set up.

That's my write up, and again, I do think he'd have a shot. I don't think he takes it though, even though IMO he's a better football player than baseball player. I wouldn't spend a high pick on him, though, and I'm not sure he'd be worth the effort to make him a QB when you could get some guy who's 6'4 and has a rocket arm. And I don't see him working in the Wildcat either. So maybe he'd be a UDFA, but if he didn't play baseball I have a feeling he'd tough to get rid of.

The guy who said Mike Glennon is the better prospect is probably right, but I'm in no rush to see a guy with that surname take over.

Day One Pick
09-17-2010, 04:15 AM

That's all that needs to be said. Very good college QB though.

Ozzy
09-17-2010, 11:40 AM
How about we shut it with regards to saying a quarterback prospect has no future in the NFL if he is not tall. Take these players for example, all 6-1 or shorter, sure some are just backup guys waiting in the wings, but others have been extremely productive pros.

Drew Brees 6-0- Speaks for itself.
David Garrard 6-1- Fine starter and has been for more than a few years.
Michael Vick 6-0- Forgot he was 6-0 right?
Seneca Wallace 5-11- Has been around has a solid backup forever.

And the rest, who are just backups right now, some have had their chance, did not do much with it but if being short is such a curse, why are they still in the NFL with so many big quarterback out their to pick from?

Tyler Thigpen 6-1
Colt McCoy 6-1
Troy Smith 6-0
Rex Grossman 6-1
Chase Daniel 6-0
Max Hall 6-1
Thaddeus Lewis 6-0

Even these two really stuck around the league for a very long time despite being quite short.

Shaun King 6-1
Brooks Bollinger 6-1

Obviously Doug Flutie is the exception as being very short, but it is all dependent on the situation one is put in. So clearly if being a shorter quarterback was impossible their would not be so many in the NFL currently as starters or backups.

If freaking Chase Daniel can make a roster, I am quite positive Russell Wilson can make a roster if he decides to give football professionally a try.

As long as a little quarterback can move around in the pocket a little, he has a chance at sticking around the league and getting his shot, again case in point Seneca Wallace, eight years in the NFL at quarterback being 5-11. Sure he is a backup but if he was so hampered by his height won't the Seahawks found another backup to take his place in those 7 years of drafting?

ElectricEye
09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Those names are all extremely underwhelming with the exception of Brees. I would not spend a 3rd or even a 4th round pick on the majority of those guys, except maybe Garrard. Brees is the exception, not the rule. There's reasons quarterbacks need to be 6'2+, which people seem to not understand. None of this really matters much as Wilson is going to play baseball anyway.

descendency
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
5'10" with a baseball release doesn't make a successful NFL QB.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
those names are underwhelming but theyve all made a lot of coin in the NFL for standing on the sidelines. honestly wilson is not a MLB baseball player IMO. Best case scenario he'd be a back up middle infielder/utility player. Not exactly huge earning potential there either

i dont see a big problem with his release. he's already short so who cares, and it gets the ball out pretty fast. the last NC State qb that people said had a bad delivery seems to be doing ok. he has good ball security too. a lot of dual threat QBs fumble the ball a lot, he doesnt. honestly, if he was just an inch taller I don't see any reason he couldn't be Troy Smith. I just have a feeling he's going to measure out at 5'10 and maybe some change at the combine and that'll be the end of it

ElectricEye
09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
He has a better chance in baseball. 2B with some pop to him. He's raw, but the money is much bigger and easier baseball.

It's not that his delivery is funky either...it's that it's low. At 5'10, you NEED to have a straight over the top delivery to make it as a quarterback, even as a backup.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
if by some pop you mean he might hit 5-10 HRs a year, yea...but thats about it

minor leaguers make like 50k a year, not that prestigious.

ElectricEye
09-17-2010, 06:07 PM
if by some pop you mean he might hit 5-10 HRs a year, yea...but thats about it

minor leaguers make like 50k a year, not that prestigious.

He has tools though. The raw power and speed are there. He got a $250,000 signing bonus to sign with them. That's well above slot for a 4th round pick. The talent is there for baseball and the resources invested in him reflect that.